Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hilleary's Smiling Corner

 
 
Hilleary's Smiling Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 15, 2016
1. Hilleary's Smiling Corner Marker
Inscription.
Welcome to "Hilleary's Smiling Corner," named for Albert and Flora Hilleary, who ran the corner grocery store here from about 1919 to 1961. Like many other corner stores in Georgetown, this was a gathering place for the neighborhood. Children played marbles on the sidewalk, barbershop quartets sang in the store, and hunters met here almost every Friday night to discuss their triumph and smoke cigars.

"Pops" Hilleary was small of stature, but large of heart. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, he gave away groceries to neighbors in need with little expectation of payment. Many people credited Albert and Flora Hilleary with getting them through the Depression.

The store was originally built around 1805, shortly after the Federal government moved to Washington. The exterior remains largely unchanged from the days of "Hilleary's Smiling Corner," but it is now a private home.
 
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
 
Location. 38° 54.758′ N, 77° 4.078′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Reservoir Road, NW and 34th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on Reservoir Road, NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Hilleary's Smiling Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 15, 2016
2. Hilleary's Smiling Corner Marker
The reverse of the marker can be seen in this view to the west looking along Reservoir Road, NW. The building in the background is the former "Hilleary's Corner", now a private residence.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Original Georgetown Reservoir (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW (about 700 feet away); The Georgetown Heights (about 700 feet away); Dumbarton Oaks (approx. ¼ mile away); Garage (approx. ¼ mile away); South Lawn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Watching the Flames (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ambassador David K. E. Bruce (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement