The Historic National Road in Ohio
The 9-room Headley Inn was built in 1802 and enlarged in 1833 with a two-story addition on its east side. The stone walls were constructed of huge blocks of dressed sandstone. The original building consisted of a large basement kitchen built into the slope of a hill plus three rooms opening onto a porch. After the National Road was built, Uzal Headley enlarged his house to accommodate the traveling public. He began to operate the inn and secured a tavern license in 1834. The date stone in the inn’s addition reads 1834. The east room on the ground level was the Barroom, furthest from the living quarters. When railroads were developed, tavern-keeping on the stagecoach roads became unprofitable,
Erected 2013 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 57.191′ N, 82° 5.676′ W. Marker is near Zanesville, Ohio, in Muskingum County. Marker is on West Pike (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5345 West Pike, Zanesville OH 43701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith House & Farm (here, next to this marker); Nelson T. Gant House (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named Nelson T. Gant House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Y-Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Y-Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Zane Grey (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Y-Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Y-Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.