Stanhope in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Waterloo: A Transportation Crossroads
Village of Waterloo
Waterloo has been a transportation hub since 1760 when wagons brought pig iron from nearby Andover Furnace to the village’s iron forge. When the Morris Canal opened in 1831, horse-drawn wagons brought iron ore to the docks where it was loaded onto the waiting canal boats. In the 1840s, mule-powered rail cars were used instead of the wagons. Later, steam railroads brought freight and passengers to Waterloo Station and stage coaches carried people to the Waterloo Inn and beyond. Twentieth-century motorized vehicles once crossed the canal basin on an iron truss bridge whose abutments are still visible.
< Sidebar : >
Morris Canal Greenway
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in Historic Waterloo Village. Marker is in this post office area: Stanhope NJ 07874, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (a few steps from this marker); The Morris Canal Inclined Planes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Morris Canal 1824-1924 (within shouting distance of this marker); Let This Tablet Honor Them and All Who Live For the Good of the Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Waterloo, A Canal Town (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cat Swamp Hijacking and Murder (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stanhope, NJ (approx. 2½ miles away); Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanhope.
More about this marker. A photograph on the left side of the marker depicts “The Sussex Railroad bridge fram[ing] a view of Waterloo Village.” Another photo at the upper right includes a caption of “A passenger train pulled by Locomotive No. 978, has just crossed Waterloo Road and the Musconetcong
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.