Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Early Colonial Custom House
Was made a port of entry at a
General Assembly of the Colony and Dominion
of Williamsburg the twenty-third day of October
1705 in the fourth year of the reign of her
Majesty Queen Anne
The Comte de Grasse Chapter
The National Society of the
Daughters of the American Revolution Inc.
Purchased this Custom House 1924
Board of Management
At the time of purchase
Mrs. Emma Leake Chenoweth, Regent
Mrs. Elizabeth Fox Madison
Mrs. Nannie Cooke Curtis
Mrs. Lula Wade Renforth
Mrs. Nettie Richardson Clements
Mrs. Lillie Hidgins Walthall
Mrs. Margaret Crooks Smith
Mrs. Letitia Pate Evans
Member of the Comte de Grasse Chapter
Dedicated to perpetuate
the memory and spirit of the men and women
who achieved American independence
Second, lower marker:
The Old Custom House
410 Main Street
Has been placed on the
Virginia Historic Landmark Register
and the National Register
of Historic Places
Erected 1930 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Main Street, Yorktown VA 23690, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Custom House, circa 1720 (here, next to this marker); Cole Digges House, circa 1730 (a few steps from this marker); Cole Digges House, circa 1925 (a few steps from this marker); Charles Cox House (within shouting distance of this marker); Somerwell House (within shouting distance of this marker); East Along Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); West Along Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Nelson House, circa 1730 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 24, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 2. submitted on February 23, 2015, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia.