Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Commerce Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Commerce United Methodist Congregation / Commerce United Methodist Church

 
 
Commerce United Methodist Congregation Marker - side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 22, 2016
1. Commerce United Methodist Congregation Marker - side 1
Inscription.
Commerce United Methodist Congregation
A Methodist Episcopal class, which later became a church society, was organized in Commerce in 1838. For many years, it was part of the Farmington Circuit. The Reverend Daniel C. Jacokes was the church's first circuit minister. Religious meetings were held in a schoolhouse until the society erected its first church in 1842. In 1854 Commerce, with its seventy-one members, was made the head of a circuit. The congregation organized a Sunday School in 1855 and an Epworth League for youth in 1891. The Ladies Aid Society, organized in 1885, hosted maple sugar and lawn socials to supplement its dues of five cents a month. By 1915 the local Presbyterian and Baptist congregations had disbanded, leaving the Methodist society as the sole church in Commerce.

Commerce United Methodist Church
In 1842 the Methodist Episcopal congregation of Commerce erected a modest Greek Revival frame church at the northwest intersection of Commercial and Ponderosa streets. Logs for the church, including oak for the frame, were hauled to Lapeer to be sawed. The land for the church had been purchased a year earlier for $75. The cost of the church was $1,200. The handsome structure was moved to its present location in 1957 and enlarged. The original portion, presently
Commerce United Methodist Congregation Marker - side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 22, 2016
2. Commerce United Methodist Congregation Marker - side 2
used as a chapel, is easily distinguished by its towering steeple, a replica of the original one. Known as the Commerce United Methodist Church, the structure is recognized as the oldest Methodist church building in Oakland County and one of the oldest in Michigan.
 
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1297.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 35.722′ N, 83° 29.492′ W. Marker is in Commerce Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on North Commerce Road 0.2 miles south of East Commerce Road/West Wise Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1155 North Commerce Road, Commerce Township MI 48382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Commerce Roller Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Commerce Village Burying Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away); White Lake Township Hall (approx. 3.9 miles away); Four Towns Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Haven Hill Farm (approx. 4.4 miles away); Genevieve Gillette
Commerce United Methodist Congregation image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 22, 2016
3. Commerce United Methodist Congregation
The 1842 church building. The new building is to the north (right) of this structure.
(approx. 4 miles away); Haven Hill Gatehouse (approx. 4 miles away); Haven Hill Carriage House (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Commerce Township.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement