Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Newburg Methodist Church

 
 
Newburg Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 21, 2016
1. Newburg Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. By 1834 there were two religious societies in Newburg, one Methodist and one Congregational. The Methodist society was part of the Plymouth Circuit and served by itinerant ministers. The Reverend Marcus Swift was the first pastor. A strident anti-slavery advocate, Swift openly criticized the Methodist conference for its silence on the issue. In 1841 he seceded. Methodists constructed their first church in 1846. Two years later the Congregationalists built a church. Each society hosted worship services on alternate Sundays. In 1888 the two organizations merged under the Methodist name and worshipped in the former Congregational Church. The society grew rapidly during World War II, 1941-45. The present parsonage, sanctuary and educational wing were erected in 1962.
 
Erected 1995 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1922.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 21.592′ N, 83° 24.18′ W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Ann Arbor Trail and Levan Road, on the right when traveling west on Ann Arbor Trail. Touch for map. Marker is
Newburg Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 21, 2016
2. Newburg Methodist Church Marker
View looking west.
at or near this postal address: 36500 Ann Arbor Trail, Livonia MI 48150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newburgh Cemetery (approx. mile away); Chief Tonquish Burial Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); "Learning by Doing" (approx. 1.7 miles away); George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center (approx. 1.7 miles away); Nankin Millers House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Nankin Mills (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Nankin Mills (approx. 1.8 miles away); Perrinsville School (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
 
Also see . . .  Newburg's Rich History. Brief history of the church on their website. (Submitted on October 26, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement