Ironton in Iron County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
General Grant Commission Commemorative
By the Surviving Veterans of the
21st Regt. Ill. Vol. Inft.
To commemorate the spot where their Col.
Ulysses S. Grant
Received his commission as general,
And parting from his regt. entered
On his career of victory.
“Let Us Have Peace”
Erected 1886 by Veterans of 21st Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
Location. 37° 35.737′ N, 90° 37.713′ W. Marker is in Ironton, Missouri, in Iron County. Marker can be reached from S. Main Street 0.1 miles north of W. Park Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the St. Marie Du Lac Church just west of the pond. Marker is in this post office area: Ironton MO 63650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron County Missouri Courthouse Complex (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); War In The Arcadia Valley (about 800 feet away); Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iron County - The "Birthplace of 4-H" in Missouri (approx. 0.2 miles away); VFW Post 5527 Veterans Memorial Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironton.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.