Moreauville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
The first church for Catholics in the Moreauville area along Bayou des Glaises was built in 1858 and known as St. Hyacinthe's Mission Chapel that was administered by St. Paul's Church, Mansura. Widow Aimee Joffrion Boyer donated the property on April 9, 1858. The first priest of the mission chapel in 1858 was Rev. Thomas Rebours who would become first pastor of the Moreauville Church in 1860.
On February 2, 1860 Bishop Auguste Martin of Natchitoches elevated St. Hyacinthe's as an independent parish. After some twenty years the church developed structural problems and was replaced by the second church by 1882 under the direction of Rev. Paul E. Simon. At the time the name of the church was changed to Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church.
The fifteen year old church burned to the ground on Easter Sunday, April 22, 1897 due to unattended burning candles. Rev. Constantine Brahic completed the third church in 1898. All three churches were of wood and similar design. Shortly thereafter, he petitioned the Daughters of the Cross to establish the first parochial school known as St. Francis de Sales that opened in 1899 and existed until 1920.
Tragedy struck on Christmas Day 1908 with lightning burning the third church, rectory, school, and convent. A decision was then made to build the fourth church of brick under the guidance
Msgr. Stanley DeKeuwer redecorated the sanctuary in 1944. He also established Sacred Heart School in 1948 staffed by the Daughters of the Cross. The Order of Our Lady of Sorrows has staffed the school since 1963.
In 1960-61 Msgr. John Timmermans undertook a complete renovation of the church and installed the present marble altars. By 2004 the church was in need of renovation which was directed by Rev. George Krosfield.
Anniversary celebrations observed to commemorate special occasions remembering Sacred Heart's long history: (1)1960-61, 100th, Msgr. John Timmermans; (2) 1995, 135th, Rev. Joseph Montalbano; and (3) 2010, 150th, Rev. Marc Noel.
Location. 31° 2.236′ N, 91° 58.62′ W. Marker is in Moreauville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on Bayou des Glaises Street (State Highway 4561) 0.2 miles north of Fox Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Mounted on the front facade, far left main entrance to church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9986 Bayou Des Glaises Street, Moreauville LA 71355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. For God and Country (within shouting distance of this marker); Moreauville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Mansura (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mansura (approx. 4.7 miles away); Desfossé House (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Historic Oaks of Cottonport (approx. 5½ miles away); Presentation Academy (approx. 7 miles away); Tunica-Biloxi Indian Reservation (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moreauville.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 245 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2016.