Near Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel
The road was fist called the Peachtree road, but in 1837 James Montgomery established a ferry crossing on the Chattahoochee River at Standing Peachtree. Subsequently this road became know as “the Montgomery Ferry road and then later, the North Decatur and Atlanta road.”
In 1905 with her own funds, Mrs. Amanda Powell Houston, Naman Hardman’s niece had erected beside this road a community chapel. Constructed of heart of pine lumber, it had an organ and seated sixty worshipers. Known as the Houston Chapel, it remained in service to the community until about
Location. 33° 47.438′ N, 84° 18.486′ W. Marker is near Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on North Decatur Road 0.2 miles west of Clairmont Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30322, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. ¾ mile away); Steatite Boulder (approx. 1.2 miles away); Houston Mill Millstone (approx. 1.2 miles away); DeKalb County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (approx. 1.3 miles away); Battle of Decatur (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.