Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arabi in Saint Bernard Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Ward Justice Courthouse and Jail

 
 
First Ward Justice Courthouse and Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
October 28, 2016
1. First Ward Justice Courthouse and Jail Marker
Inscription. Designed by Henry Daboval and built by J.C. Bourg in 1911. Court held here until 1923 by Justices of the Peace. Three small jail cells remained occupied through 1939. The jail was restored in 1985.
 
Erected by St. Bernard Historical Society & St. Bernard Police Jury.
 
Location. 29° 56.965′ N, 90° 0.355′ W. Marker is in Arabi, Louisiana, in Saint Bernard Parish. Marker is on Hernandez Street north of Pontalba Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Hernandez Street, Arabi LA 70032, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Maurice Church (approx. half a mile away); Chalmette Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battery 4 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battery Four (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Chalmette Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Batteries 5 and 6 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil Rights Pioneers / History (approx. 0.9 miles away); Batteries Five and Six (approx. 0.9 miles away).
 
Categories. Government
 
First Ward Justice Courthouse and Jail and Marker image. Click for full size.
October 28, 2016
2. First Ward Justice Courthouse and Jail and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2016.
Paid Advertisement