Near Lincolnton in Lincoln County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
General Elijah Clark
General Clark was born in Edgecombe County, N.C., in 1733 and moved to what was then a part of Wilkes County, Georgia, (now an area of Lincoln) in 1774. When the Revolutionary War broke out he became a colonel of militia. His activities against the Tories gave him his nickname. He led American forces against the British in battles at Alligator Creek, Kettle Creek, Musgrove’s Mill, Fish Dam, Blackstock`s, Long Cane, Beatties Mill and two sieges at Augusta, the last one successful. He became a Brigadier General.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 090-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 51.265′ Touch for map. Marker is at the cemetery in the Elijah Clark State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Lincolnton GA 30817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dooly Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tory Pond (approx. 0.9 miles away); Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds (approx. 1.9 miles away in South Carolina); The Guillebeau House (approx. 2.4 miles away in South Carolina); Welcome to Baker Creek State Park (approx. 3.2 miles away in South Carolina); William Bartram Trail (approx. 4.6 miles away); Petersburg Road (approx. 4.6 miles away); New Bordeaux (1764) (approx. 4.7 miles away in South Carolina). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincolnton.
Also see . . . Elijah Clark (1742-1799). Sometimes spelled "Clarke", the general was a central figure in Revolutionary Georgia. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,512 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.