Henry Sanders, Jr., (1776-1844) settled in this county in 1795. Besides building Sanders Tavern, parts of which stood until about 1947, he also built "Clay Hill," the home of his son James Sanders. He assisted in the survey of the road built through Muldraugh's Hill, and in 1837, gave the land for Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, located nearby.
Site of Tavern owned by Henry Sanders, Jr., and operated by him as early as 1814. The 30-room inn was a famous stop for the six-horse stage coaches traveling the old Lexington and Nashville Road. Many notable persons were guests at the tavern, the most prominent of whom was Pres. Andrew Jackson on his way to Washington, September 27, 1832.
Erected 1972 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1448.)
Location. 37° 25.85′ N, 85° 21.917′ W. Marker is near Campbellsville, Kentucky, in Taylor County. Marker is on Old Lebanon Road (Kentucky Route 289), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6639 Old Lebanon Road, Campbellsville KY 42718, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 2, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.