New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
A Walk of Faith
One thing common to the dominant cultures of New Iberia's settlers was their strong faith. The Spanish and French brought Catholicism with them to New Iberia, while other faiths soon settled and grew their congregations. Other beautiful and historic churches in the Main Street area include:
St. Peter's Catholic Church
and Rectory - 1836
108 East St. Peter Street
St. Peter's Church was built in 1836 on land donated by the Frederick Duperier family. Church Alley between Main Street and St. Peter Street was left open to fulfill the donation's provision that the church be visible from the Duperier home (located where Mt. Carmel is today).
Temple Gates of Prayer - 1903
106 North Weeks Street
On April 26, 1897, the Jewish congregation was established. With help from the larger Catholic community, this one story brick Romanesque synagogue was built in 1903. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
First United Methodist Church - 1860
(Rebuilt 1890, 1907)
119 Jefferson Street
Dedicated in March 1860, this church was completely
St. Edward Catholic Church - 1917
175 Ambassador LeMelle
Not only was St. Edward the first parish established in the new Lafayette Diocese, but it was also the first National Parish for African Americans, as well as a center for Christian education for African Americans in the rural districts of the Diocese.
Erected by Iberia Parish.
Location. 30° 0.518′ N, 91° 49.263′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and West Main Street (Louisiana Highway 182), on the right when traveling west on Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 West Main Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany (a few steps from this marker); The Erath Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter's Cemetery The Gouguenheim Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Steamboat Era (approx. ¼ mile away); Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and Spirits (approx. ¼ mile away); Wormser's Department Store (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2016. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2016.