Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Campbellsville in Taylor County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Sanders Family in the Civil War

Clay Hill and the Southern Connection

 
 
The Sanders Family inthe Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, October 13, 2016
1. The Sanders Family inthe Civil War Marker
Inscription. Early settler Henry Sanders, Jr. owned the land in every direction from where you are standing. Henry sanders built fine houses for his sons, James, Durham, and Robert. The house in front of you, "Clay Hill", was owned by James and Mary Ann Griffin Sanders. James Sanders died in 1858, leaving his widow to manage the plantation, eleven children, and over thirty slaves.

Mrs. Sanders was a southern sympathizer. Oh his Pleasant Hill Raid of January 1862, Rebel John Hunt Morgan stopped at Clay Hill seeking information. He learned from her that "a large party were guarding the bridge over Rolling Fork...a few sick were at Campbellsville, a portion of two regiments at Greensburg, and a large force at Columbia..."

Her son Robert was also a known Rebel sympathizer and of considerable interest to the Federals. One day in 1862, Yankee soldiers came looking for him. They burst into the parlor of Clay Hill, concerned his sister, Cary Ann, and demanded to know the whereabouts of Robert. Cicely, a black houses servant, cried out, "Miss Cary tell them; tell them anything," making the Yankee solders think that Cary knew where Robert was.

Angered by her silence, the Yank leader said to his men, "A bird that won't sing, must be made to sing. Charge, bayonets!" Immediately, one of the soldiers threw his bayonet
Clay Hill image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, October 13, 2016
2. Clay Hill
and pinned the sleeve of her dress to the wall. Undaunted, she still refused to tell. Disgruntled, the unhappy Yankees departed.

Today, the bayonet hole, not quite the size of a thimble, remains on the north wall on the left side of the fireplace of Clay Hill's parlor.
 
Erected by Southern & Eastern Kentucky Tourism Development Association.
 
Location. 37° 26.367′ N, 85° 21.6′ W. Marker is near Campbellsville, Kentucky, in Taylor County. Marker can be reached from Old Lebanon Road (Kentucky Route 289) 0.3 miles north of Richerson Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located near the entrance to the Clay Hill Memorial Forest. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7426 Old Lebanon Road, Campbellsville KY 42718, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sanders Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away); Morgan's Revenge (approx. one mile away); Morgan Held Prisoner In Pleasant Hill Church (approx. one mile away); Raid on the Hiestand-Chandler House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Brig. Gen. Elias Barbee (approx. 6.8 miles away); Campbellsville / Taylor County
Clay Hill Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, October 13, 2016
3. Clay Hill Plantation House Marker
Clay Hill Plantation House
In 1835 Henry Sanders, Jr. (1776-1844) built the Clay Hill plantation house for his son, James M. Sanders. Henry Sanders' holdings in Taylor and Green counties totaled approximately 4,000 acres. Prior to his death, James Sanders deeded the house and land to his daughter, Cary Ann Sanders. Her marriage to Harry F. White, a businessman from Wales, produced a son, James Sanders White. At her death in 1912 Dr. White became the sole heir to the Clay Hill Farm. The house can be seen directly ahead at the crest of the hill. The original house consisted of the front section, which can be seen on the right, and a long wing extending toward the rise in the hill to the left. The style of the home is late Federal and contains two stories and a large attic. Brick walls 14 inches thick separate the large rooms that have ceilings 14 feet high. Plantation slaves fashioned brick in wooden forms, and them fired them on site. The stone walls of the family cemetery can be seen on the rise behind the house. Nine family members are buried there, including James Sanders and Cary Ann Sanders White.
Sanders Ancestral Cemetery
The cemetery was restored in 1994 in loving memory of Edwin lee White, Rs., devoted son of Dr. James Sanders and Anne Mary McNeilly White, and the grandson of Harry F. and Cary Ann Sanders White. Born at Clay Hill in 1895, Edwin White was raised to love this land. He devoted his later years to the preservation of the ancestral home and the surrounding acreage. After his passing in 1981 his children donated 127 acres of the remaining land to Campbellsville University. Named the Clay Hill Memorial Forest, it is dedicated to the memory of Dr. James Sanders White and Joan White Howell. It is to be held in perpetuity for the education and enjoyment of future generations.
(approx. 6.8 miles away); Cumberland Trace (approx. 6.8 miles away); Confederate Raids (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campbellsville.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Clay Hill image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, October 13, 2016
4. Clay Hill
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement