Moore in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nazareth Church Stone Marker
In 1765 Narareth’s first meeting house was built on this site. Made of logs cut from surrounding forest, pulpit of clapboard, seats of crude wooden plank, without backs and dirt floor.
Location. 34° 53.861′ N, 82° 1.841′ W. Marker is in Moore, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker can be reached from Nazareth Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 680 Nazareth Church Road, Moore SC 29369, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nazareth Frame House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nazareth Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast (approx. 2.5 miles away); Camp Wadsworth (approx. 2.6 miles away); John B. White Sr., Blvd. (approx. 3.1 miles away); 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters (approx. 3.5 miles away); Colonel Warren H. Abernathy Highway (approx. 3.5 miles away); Kevin Earl Carper (approx. 4.6 miles away); Harold Hatcher (approx. 4.7 miles away); Reidville Male Academy (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moore.
More about this marker. The marker has a modest stone base with a plaque attached.
Regarding Nazareth Church Stone Marker.
Nazareth cemetery is one of the oldest in the upstate of South Carolina dating back to the Revolutionary War. People travel from all over the United States to visit their forefathers. A small gate at the back of the cemetery will lead you past two memorials at the edge of a tree line. You can then hike a trail to the “Meeting House Springs” where the first church was erected. Along the trial you will encouter several outlying graves that are clearly marked.
Also see . . .
1. Nazareth Presbyterian Church. Nazareth is one of 11,200 congregations of the Presbyterian Church USA and is a member of the Foothills Presbytery. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Nazareth Sketch of Nazareth. For more infromation about the history of Nazareth Church. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina.)
3. Nazareth Church Pictorial Sketchs. Pictorial sketchs showing the way the church has appeared over the years. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina.)
4. An Act to Incorporate the Nazareth Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg County. Act approved March 9, 1872 for a period of 25 years. (Submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Nazareth Church
Nazareth Church is situated in the district of Spartanburg, on the waters of Tyger river, towards its source. Its first formation proceeded from a few families, eight or ten in number, who obtained supplies in 1766, and were soon afterwards organized into a society.—(MS. Hist. of Second Presbytery of South Carolina.) The Rev. Robert H. Reid dates the first settlements on Tyger river about the year 1761. They certainly existed before the year 1765, for in that year the road that passes by the church between the North and Middle rivers was opened. The first settlers were Scotch-Irish from Pennsylvania. When they left the north of Ireland and came into Pennsylvania we have at present no means of ascertaining. Some of the families were in Pennsylvania as early as 1732, for in that year Captain Barry was born in that State. The names of the first settlers were Barry, Moore, Anderson, Collins, Thompson, Vernon, Pearson, Jamison, Dodd, Ray, Penrey, McMahon, and Nichol. About the year 1767 or 1768 their numbers were increased by a colony which came directly from the north of Ireland. They were each entitled to one hundred acres of land by a grant from his majesty George II., and the old titles bear date in 176S. The families of Caldwell, Coan, Snoddy, Pedan, Alexander, Gaston, Morton, and perhaps some others, came at that
— Submitted February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Additional keywords. War, Cemetery,1812,Civil,Spanish,American
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,053 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 3. submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.