Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gloucester Courthouse in Gloucester County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Werowocomoco

 
 
Werowocomoco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, November 5, 2016
1. Werowocomoco Marker
Inscription. The site of Werowocomoco is located nearby at Purtan Bay. This Algonquian Indian settlement was the center of power of the Powhatan paramount chiefdom when the English established James Fort in 1607. Captain John Smith was brought to Werowocomoco as a captive in December 1607 where he met the Powhatan leader Wahunsonacock and his daughter Pocahontas. Archaeologists working closely with present-day members of Virginia Indian tribes investigated the site from 2002 to 2010. They documented that Werowocomoco was an extensive settlement, including trenches defining an area of restricted access or sacred space, from the 13th century through the early 17th century.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. Marker was cast in 2013. (Marker Number NA-11.)
 
Location. 37° 24.909′ N, 76° 31.757′ W. Marker is in Gloucester Courthouse, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker is on Main Street at the Courthouse Circle (Virginia Route 14), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker cannot be seen when heading east because it is on the other side of the circle. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester VA 23061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
Werowocomoco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, November 5, 2016
2. Werowocomoco Marker
The Birdsall Building (a few steps from this marker); Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam John Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); Gloucester in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); To the Confederate Dead of Gloucester (within shouting distance of this marker); Pvt. James Daniel Gardner (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Calhoun Walker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cappahosic (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloucester Courthouse.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. “Since 2003, a team of archaeologists and related researchers has been working at this site. They and the landowners initiated consultation with the Virginia Council on Indians to plan and execute excavations on the site. Representatives of local Virginia Indian tribes, some of whom are descendants of the tributary tribes of Powhatan, continue to advise the research. Excavations at the site since 2003 have revealed evidence of a large town, including two 200-foot long, curved, earthwork ditches built 1,000 feet from the river bank about 1400, two hundred years before the English first visited the area. In 2006 the Werowocomoco Archeological Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the future, scholars hope to find more evidence about the political nature of the Powhatan polity.” (Submitted on November 9, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative Americans
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 9, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement