Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar

 
 
Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2016
1. Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar Marker
Inscription.
Fuente Caja de Agua de la Virgen del Pilar
Primera fuente construida con el auspicio del Marqués de la Villa del Villar del Aguila, para el reparto de agua que venía desde la Cañada a través del Acueducto de Querétaro, en la barda poniente de la huerta del convento de la Cruz. Luce interesantes emblemas y, al ser restaurada, se cambió la figura de la Virgen del Pilar por una de San Francisco de Asís. Es uno de tantos símbolos de la legendaria historia queretana.

English translation:
Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar
This was the first fountain built, with the patronage of the Marquis Villa del Villar del Aguila, to distribute the water that ran from the Ravine across the Queretaro Aqueduct, on the eastern wall of the orchard of the De la Cruz Convent. It has interesting emblems and, when it was restored, the figure of the Virgin of the Pillar was exchanged for one of San Francisco de Asís. It is one of the many symbols of Queretaro’s fabulous history.
 
Location. 20° 35.557′ N, 100° 23.061′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker is on Calle Manuel Acuña just from Avenida Reforma Oeste. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers.
Virgin of the Pillar Fountain detail image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2016
2. Virgin of the Pillar Fountain detail
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Founders of Santiago de Querétaro (within shouting distance of this marker); Friar Antonio Margil de Jésus (within shouting distance of this marker); Friar Junipero Serra (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding and History of the Temple of the Holy Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Events at the Temple of the Holy Cross (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Friar Antonio Margil de Jesus Ros (about 90 meters away); Friar Antonio de Jesus María Linaz Massanli (about 120 meters away); The Founding of Santiago de Querétaro (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
 
Regarding Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar. The fountain was originally dedicated on October 15, 1736.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
Virgin of the Pillar Fountain original leftmost marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2016
3. Virgin of the Pillar Fountain original leftmost marker
Note that the original Spanish from 1736 is very different from the Spanish of today, especially with its use of abbreviations and titles.

Reynando las Espan.s N. Catholo Rey D. Phelipe V. q. D.s gs, y siendo Virrey en esta nueva Esp.a el Exm.o S.r Marqs de Casasuerse, se empezo esta magnifica Obra en la Alverca el dia 26 de Dize de 1726 y fe concluio hasta esta Caja, el dia 15 de Octr.e de 1735. Siendo Virrey y Arz. de Mex. el Yllusro y Exmo S.r P.r D.n JunAnto Vizarron y Eguiarreta. Y Correjo.r en esta M. Noble y Leal Ciud.a de Queretaro D. Greg.o Ferron. Fue Juez Superintendt.e de ella el Sor D.n Juan Antonio de Urrutia y Arana. Caballero del Orden de Alcantara, y

English translation:
During the reign of Our Spanish Catholic King Phillip and with the Vice Regal in New Spain his Excellency the Marquis of Casasuerse, the magnificent work of the water tank was begun on December 26, 1726 and was finished with this fountain on October 15, 1735, under the Vice Regal and Archbishop of Mexico the Illustrious and Excellent Juan Antonio Vizarron y Eguiarreta y Correjo, in this Very Noble and Very Loyal City of Queréretaro. Gregorio Ferron was Superintendent Judge of her and Juan Antonio de Urrutia y Arana, Knight of the Order of Alcántara, and…
Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2016
4. Water Box Fountain of the Virgin of the Pillar Marker
The marker is directly behind someone reading it and learning about history, to the left of the fountain.
Image of Saint Francis on the Virgin of the Pillar Fountain image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2016
5. Image of Saint Francis on the Virgin of the Pillar Fountain
The image of Saint Francis replaced an image of the Virgin, as mentioned in the marker text.
The Virgin of the Pillar Fountain, rightmost original marker. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2016
6. The Virgin of the Pillar Fountain, rightmost original marker.
Marques de la Villa de Villar de Aguila, natural de la Prov. a de Alaya. Que deseando el bien común, puso en ella (con todo dinero) desde su primer fundamento, no solo el travayo de futraa zarnto y asi saa perional, sino también las expensas de 88287 p Aque contribuio el Vezindro de dha Ciuda asi Eclesio, y Regular, como Secular, con la santidad de 245º4 p. que Junta con la de arriva suma 112791. ps. Por cuyo beneficio debe esta Ciudad mostrársele perpetuamente agradecida y encomendar a Ds que le de por ___ Obra tan heroyca, la bienaventuranza.

English translation:
Marquis of the Villa de Villar, originally from the Province of Ayala, wanting to perform an act for the common good, put forth in this work (not only his funds for the project) all of his efforts from the foundations to the last details, donating the sum of 88,287 pesos, to which the rest of the city, both religious and secular sources, gave 20,504 pesos, which together with the above described sum amounted to 112,791 pesos. For this benefit the city is perpetually thankful and commends to God this finished project. This heroic project is a job well done.
An additional marker on the water supplies of the convent image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 26, 2017
7. An additional marker on the water supplies of the convent
This additional marker is inside the grounds of the convent. It concerns additional works done during colonial times to introduce running water into the convent. It reads:


Esta Targea desde la Alcatarilla y toma de agua, hasta el coplemento de la Pila del Claustro, se hizo a expensas del S. Capt. D. Pedro Garza Azevedo, Nativo del Ro. de Galicía, Vezo. desta Ciuda. de Quero. y bienhecho especial deste Sto. Coloq., agradecido atanto benefo, pretede eternizar su memoria en esta gravada Lapida. Concluido se dicha Obra el dia 1 de Dizre. del Año de 1739.

English translation:
This work of the introduction of running water, including the section connecting to the convent’s water tank, was completed with the assistance of a donation from Captain Pedro Garza Azevedo, native of Galicia and neighbor of this city of Querétaro. In gratitude for this donation, this engraving is given in his memory. The work was completed on December 1, 1739.
A wide view of the additional marker inside the convent grounds. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 26, 2017
8. A wide view of the additional marker inside the convent grounds.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 13, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   7, 8. submitted on June 8, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement