Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canton in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Cherry Hill Village

Community at the Crossroads

 
 
Cherry Hill Village: Community at the Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
1. Cherry Hill Village: Community at the Crossroads Marker
Inscription.
Cherry Hill Village originated in the 1830s
at the crossroads of Cherry Hill and Ridge Roads. As the economic and social center for the area, local families came here to trade at the general store, to pick up mail, to get shoes for themselves and their horses, and to attend school, church, picnics, dances, spelling bees and meetings. Today, much has changed. Look around and you will see our 19th century heritage making a contribution to the 21st century.
 
Erected by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service and Canton Community.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area marker series.
 
Location. 42° 18.358′ N, 83° 32.185′ W. Marker is in Canton, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Cherry Hill Road and Constitution Street, on the left when traveling west on Cherry Hill Road. Touch for map. The marker is in Village Square, which is bounded by Cherry Hill Road, Constitution Street and Independence Street. Marker is in this post office area: Canton MI 48188, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cherry Hill School (within shouting distance of this marker); A Ford Village Industry
Map closeup image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
2. Map closeup
A portion of an 1893 Canton Township plat map. Courtesy of Canton Historical Society.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Cherry Hill Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherry Hill Cemetery (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Cherry Hill Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Cherry Hill United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Palmer Shed (approx. 0.2 miles away); Farming in Canton (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Image 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
3. Image 1
Cherry Hill School was one of nine one-room schools in Canton.
Image 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
4. Image 2
The Cherry Hill Inn, also known as Gunn's or West's General Store. It served as the village commercial center until the late 1960s.
Image 3 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
5. Image 3
Built about 1884, business and trades people such as grocers and postmasters lived here, including the Corner and West families. Photo courtesy of Canton Historical Society.
Image 4 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
6. Image 4
At the beginning of the 20th century this old general store in Cherry Hill also served as the area's post office. Photo courtesy of Canton Historical Society.
Image 5 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
7. Image 5
In 1844, the village shoemaker John Cody lived here. Later a blacksmith shop was built behind the house for shoes of a different kind! Photo courtesy of Canton Historical Society.
Image 6 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
8. Image 6
Samuel Lewis received the federal land grant for this property in 1832. The house was built around 1860 and remained in the Lewis family until 1924. Photo courtesy of Canton Historical Society.
Cherry Hill Village: Community at the Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 10, 2016
9. Cherry Hill Village: Community at the Crossroads Marker
View looking northeast from Village Square to Village Theatre.
Cherry Hill Village Sign image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 17, 2016
10. Cherry Hill Village Sign
The National Register of Historic Places sign is about 100 yards north of this marker (at the intersection of North Ridge Road and School House Road).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 14, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   10. submitted on December 2, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement