Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
First School in Seattle
On this spot
the first school in Seattle
was taught by Mrs Catherine
P. Blaine in January 1854
This Tablet was Erected by the Washington
University State Historical Society....
November 13, 1905
Erected 1905 by Washington University State Historical Society.
Location. 47° 36.185′ N, 122° 20.073′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker is on First Avenue south of Columbia Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 714 First Avenue, Seattle WA 98104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Yesler's Pavillion (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson D. Boren (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Building (about 400 feet away); Mutual Life Building (about 400 feet away); The Pioneer Square Pergola (about 400 feet away); Exchange Building Burke Building Remnants (about 600 feet away); First Post Office in Seattle (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
More about this marker. Although the marker clearly says Bank of California and 1959, this marker has been entered with the Washington State University Historical Society and 1905 as the organization and year of marker installation, as the marker clearly reproduces other Washington University State Historical Society markers of the period.
Note, also, that although the marker indicates her name as Catherine, other historical records indicate "Catharine" as the correct spelling.
Also see . . .
1. Seattle's first school, a tuition (private) school, begins instruction in 1854 (HistoryLink.org). (Submitted on November 14, 2016.)
2. Blaine, David and Catharine Paine Blaine (HistoryLink.org, Junius Rochester, 1999). David Blaine and Catharine Paine Blaine came to Seattle from Seneca Falls, New York, the site of America's first women's rights convention, in which Catharine Paine participated. The Blaines were Methodist missionaries who arrived in Seattle in 1853 via the Isthmus of Panama sea route. David founded Seattle's first church, called the "Little White Church," and Catharine became Seattle's first teacher and school administrator. After the January 1856 Battle of Seattle (a conflict with Indians), the Blaines left for missionary duty in Portland. They returned to Seattle in retirement in 1882. (Submitted on November 14, 2016.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.