Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Stockade Fort
Ninety Six National Historic Site
An irregular fortification built around a barn and several out building, the stockade was surrounded by a ditch and abates, and was linked to the town by a communications trench.
When he arrived from August Georgia, in June 1781 Lt. Henry Lee assumed command of the Patriot attack against the Stockade Fort. In the final American assault on June 18, 1781, Lee’s men captured the fort but held it only until Greene ordered the attack ended.
Erected by National Park Service, US Department of Interior.
Location. 34° 8.682′ N, 82° 1.392′ W. Marker is in Ninety Six, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Highway 248 and Louden Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Ninety Six National Historic Site, near the Fort Stockade. Marker is in this post office area: Ninety Six SC 29666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Light Horse Harry" Lee Takes the Stockade Fort (a few steps from this marker); Sharpshooter Militiamen (within shouting distance of this marker); First Blood Shed for Liberty (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monument to James Birmingham (about 400 feet away); James Birmingham (about 400 feet away); Ninety Six National Historic Site (about 400 feet away); The Lost Town of Cambridge (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ninety Six.
Also see . . . Ninety Six National Historic Site. National Park Service (Submitted on November 18, 2016.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.