New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Iberia Courthouse Building
Iberia Parish, created in 1868, conducted the business of government in rented space until 1884 with the building of the first permanent courthouse at present day Bouligny Plaza on Main Street. With the help of Public Works Administration funds, Iberia Parish was able to dedicate its second court building on Armistice Day, 1941. The Art Deco structure was designed by noted Louisiana Architect A. Hays Town. A unique statue of justice dominates the front of the building. The Struggle of Man, a fresco executed by nationally known artist Conrad Albrizio, enhances the inside of the courtroom. This land, originally owned by civic leader Dr. Leonard Smith, was purchased by the Parish from the Howe Institute.
Donated by the Iberia Parish Government in honor of the citizens of Iberia Parish.
Erected 2012 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Iberia Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Howe Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gouguenheim Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Fire (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wormser's Department Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Steamboat Era (approx. 0.2 miles away); Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and Spirits (approx. 0.2 miles away); William G. "Bunk" Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2016. This page has been viewed 157 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2016.