Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Scott County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Site of Western Eagle

 
 
Site of Western Eagle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, October 14, 2016
1. Site of Western Eagle Marker
Inscription. Western Eagle was second newspaper in Indiana Territory. Founded in Madison 1813, moved to Lexington July 8, 1815 and to this site October 1815. Jacob Rhoads, publisher after 1814, terminated publication January 6, 1816 for financial reasons. Rhoads was printer for Indiana Territory 1814-1816.
 
Erected 1992 by Indiana Historical Bureau.
 
Location. 38° 39.083′ N, 85° 37.583′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Indiana, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Road 356) and Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington IN 47138, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan's Raid (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lexington First County Seat (about 600 feet away); A Night in a Hotel (about 600 feet away); Site of William Hayden English Home (approx. half a mile away); Town Creek Encampment (approx. half a mile away); John Kimberlin Farm (approx. 3 miles away); Northern Boundary of Clark's Grant (approx. 3 miles away); Morgan's Great Raid (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Also see . . .
Site of Western Eagle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, October 14, 2016
2. Site of Western Eagle Marker
 Hoosier State Chronicles: Indiana's Digital Historic Newspaper Program. (Submitted on November 19, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
 
Categories. Communications
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement