Greensboro in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
“The Genesis Monument”
“Genesis” of The City of Greensboro
In 1807 a petition from the people of southeast Guilford, many of whom were from the German settlements, was filed with the General Assembly requesting that the county seat be moved from Guilford Court House or Martinsville southeastwardly to the center of county. Heading the petition was the following surveyor's map showing Guilford Court House or Martinsville to the northwest and the supposed center to the southeast of Guilford Court House.
This monument marks the approximate site of the center of the county as determined by the unknown surveyor and shown on his map. despite a counterpetition from the people of northwest Guilford, most of whom were Ulster Scots (Scotch-Irish) or English Quakers, the General Assembly granted the request of the first petition and authorized the establishing of the town or Greensborough, named for General Nathanael Greene, leader of the American forces in the southern campaign of the American Revolution climaxing at the decisive Battle of Guilford
Original Guilford, established in 1771 and named for Francis Forth, first Earl of Guilford, in compliment to his son, frederick, british prime minister, who became the second Earl, included present Guilford, Rockingham and Randolph Counties and after the latter two were formed the county seat at Guilford Court House was noticeably offcenter for the reduced county, hence the petition to the legislature resulting the founding of Greensborough.
This spot being lowground and somewhat swampy, the commissioners named in the legislative act picked the more suitable higher ground centered around the crossing of what are now Elm and Market Streets for the location or the town. The new courthouse was located at this intersection, which became known as Courthouse Square. The village was laid out in 1808 on the 42 acres of land purchased by the commissioners for $98 from Ralph Gorrell of the Alamance Church area, a Scotch-Irish settler from Northern Ireland.
Erected 1971 by Colonel James G.W. MacLamroc.
Location. 36° 4.927′ N, 79° 47.269′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker is on South Park Drive east of North Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro NC 27401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fisher Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Preddy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guilford County Health Department (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lindsay Street School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Edward R. Murrow (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cone Brothers (approx. 0.4 miles away); O Henry's Family (approx. half a mile away); Francis McNairy House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for "The Genesis Monument".
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 20, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.