Canton in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This shed, built in the 1830's was donated by Richard and Joan Palmer, from their family farm which was located on the south side of Warren Rd., between Beck and Ridge Roads.
This farm was land granted by the U.S. Government to Arunah Bradner in 1826. The shed was used by descendants of Arunah Bradner until 1911 when the farm was sold to Linley Allen Wiseley. In 1937 Warren Palmer purchased the farm from his father-in-law Mr. Wiseley. The shed was used by the Palmer's until its donation in 1997.
Originally a corn crib, the shed, as typical of thrifty farmers, was remodeled several times to suit the needs of the era. Finally, this shed was used as a shop for repairing things and storing small tools. This shed contributes to the Preservation Park farmstead, showing the various types of buildings Canton farmers needed.
Erected by Canton Historical Society.
Location. 42° 18.511′ N, 83° 32.049′ W. Marker is in Canton, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Ridge Road, Canton MI 48187, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Farming in Canton (here, next to this marker); Bartlett Travis House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Historic Cady Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Preservation Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canton Pioneer Home (about 300 feet away); Cherry Hill School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherry Hill Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Ford Village Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Palmer Shed.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.