Central Reformed Church
Central Reformed Church was formed on April 23, 1918, by the merger of the first two Reformed churches in the Grand Rapids area: the First Reformed, an English-speaking church organized in 1840; and the Second Reformed, a Dutch-speaking church established in 1849. The new congregation chose to worship in the home of the First Reformed Church on the corner of Fountain and Barclay streets. On October 31, 1919, the Reverend John A. Dykstra became the church's first pastor.
Central Reformed Church established in 1918, had nearly 600 members by 1920. Dynamic growth led to the building's enlargement in 1922. Fire destroyed the sanctuary in 1953. The congregation worshipped in Central High School and the former Grace Episcopal Church until this structure was completed in 1957. Designed by Eggers and Higgins of New York, the building reflects English and American Georgian church architecture of the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries.
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1683C.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 57.822′ N, 85° 39.4′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central High School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Voigt House (approx. ¼ mile away); McCabe-Marlowe House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Castle (approx. 0.3 miles away); First (Park) Congregational Church (approx. half a mile away); Grand Rapids Veterans Memorial and Honor Roll (approx. half a mile away); Ladies Literary Club (approx. half a mile away); Kent County Civil War Monument & Fountain (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 102 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.