Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Rapids in Kent County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Castle

 
 
The Castle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 21, 2016
1. The Castle Marker
Side A
Inscription.
Side A
Designed by local architect William G. Robinson, this castle-like edifice was constructed in 1884-86 for Colonel E. Crofton Fox and his brother Charles. Built of granite block imported from Scotland, this house is a fine example of Chateauesque Style architecture. A Heritage Hill landmark, this house features leaded and stained glass windows, and a metal stair dormer superbly crafted to resemble stone. Its interior is adorned with parquet flooring in the entry hall and a carved oak staircase. It was refurbished as a restaurant in 1978.

Side B
The Fox Brothers, Ethelbert Crofton (1852-1904) and Charles (1853-1915), local lumber barons, built this structure as their home. These brothers were partners in a Grand Rapids lumbering firm, Osterhout, Fox & Company, and accumulated vast wealth. Appointed to the State Military Board by Governor Cyrus Luce in 1887, E. Crofton, a colonel, was twice elected president of that organization. He was also associated with with banking and was treasurer of the City Board of Trade. Charles was the founder of the Michigan Trust Company, established in 1889.
 
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L691A.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included

The Castle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 21, 2016
2. The Castle Marker
Side B
in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 57.575′ N, 85° 39.431′ W. Marker is in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in Kent County. Marker is on Cherry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 455 Cherry Street, Grand Rapids MI 49503, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Voigt House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); McCabe-Marlowe House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ladies Literary Club (approx. half a mile away); First (Park) Congregational Church (approx. half a mile away); Grand Rapids Veterans Memorial and Honor Roll (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kent County Civil War Monument & Fountain (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Castle image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 21, 2016
3. The Castle
The Castle image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 21, 2016
4. The Castle
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement