Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Settlements & Settlers Historical Markers

256 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 56
 
Abraham Blish Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brandon D Cross, September 21, 2019
Abraham Blish Marker
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — Abraham Blish
Original Settler with the Barnstable Colony in 1640. Selected Grand Juror, Hayward, Constable, and Highway Surveyor. Served with Militia of the Colony of New Plymouth. In 1658, he built and operated one of the First Grist Mills in . . . — Map (db m140492) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — Sandwich Meeting of Friends
Sandwich Monthly Meeting of Friends, established in 1657, is the oldest continuous Quaker meeting in North America. It consists of congregations here, in West Falmouth and in Yarmouth. This meetinghouse, the third on this site, was built . . . — Map (db m140503) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — Thomas Hinckley
Nearby Stood The Homestead Of Thomas Hinckley Governor Of Plymouth Colony From 1681 To The Union With The Bay Colony in 1692. — Map (db m142187) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Buzzards Bay — Bournedale's Yesterdays
You are standing in the center of the Old Nye Estate. Before construction of the canal, this was the finest home in Bournedale, a sleepy Cape Cod village complete with post office, village hall, general store, and its own industry - the Tahanto Iron . . . — Map (db m57536) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Buzzards Bay — Comassakumakanit
Long before the first European settlements in the Herring River Valley, a band of Wampanoag Indians lived in this area. The seasonal village called Comassakumakanit, stood beside Megansett Waye, an important trading path linking Cape and the . . . — Map (db m57534) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Chatham — In Memory of the Pioneers of ChathamWilliam Nickerson
He came from Norwich England in 1637. He acquired from the Indians by a series of purchases prior to the year 1683 the greater part of the present Township then known as Monomoyick. He and his sons and sons-in-laws Robert Nickerson • Samuel . . . — Map (db m68997) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Chatham — 8 — The Mayflower Story
A group of Separatist from the Church of England, later named Pilgrims, left England for Holland in 1608 in settled in Leiden in 1609. After staying there for 11 years, the group sailed back to England on the ship Speedwell, where they joined by . . . — Map (db m78321)
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Deerfield — Quinton Stockwell/ Abigail Bullard Stockwell
Erected In Memory of Quinton Stockwell and his wife Abigail Bullard Stockwell It was in their house, which stood on this spot, that the Stockwells boarded the Reverend Samuel Mather during the earliest days of . . . — Map (db m141971) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — First Encounter
One mile west of this site hostile Indians had their First Encounter 6 December 1620 (Old Style) With Myles Standish, John Carver, William Bradford, Edward Winslow. John Tilley, Edward Tilley, John Howland, . . . — Map (db m141405) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — First Encounter MonumentCommemorating the Pilgrims' first encounter with Native Americans
On this spot hostile Indians had their first encounter December 8, 1620, old style, with Myles Standish, John Carver, William Bradford, John Tilley, Edward Winslow, John Howland, Edward Tilley, Richard Warren, Stephen Hopkins, Edward Dotey, John . . . — Map (db m51139) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — First Encounter PlaqueCommemorating the Pilgrims' first encounter with Native Americans
Near this site the Nauset tribe of the Wampanoag nation, seeking to protect themselves and their culture, had their first encounter, 8 december 1620, with Myles Standish, John Carver, William Bradford, Edward Winslow, John Tilley, Edward Tilley, . . . — Map (db m51142) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — Journey of the Mayflower
After 66 days spent in the cramped confines of a small ship pitching and rolling its way from England across the stormy North Atlantic, the Mayflower’s passengers gave thanks. It was the morning of November 9,1620 and they had spotted land - the . . . — Map (db m141189) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Hyannis — 2 — Main St. HyannisHyannis Kennedy Legacy Trail
Main Street, Hyannis in the 1960s was filled with activity. Shops were bustling, and supporters of John F. Kennedy, running for president, lined the streets. Since JFK based much of his campaigning out of the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port, . . . — Map (db m144001) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Provincetown — Provincetown
On November 20, 1620 the Pilgrims dropped the Mayflower’s anchor for the first time in the new world- not at Plymouth where they later settled, but in the harbor ahead. Just off the shores of today’s Provincetown they drafted and signed a pioneering . . . — Map (db m111673) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Provincetown — The First Landing Place of the Pilgrims, Nov. 11, 1620, O.S.
The map in Mourt's Relation shows that near this spot the Pilgrims first touched foot on American soil. — Map (db m55594) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Sandwich — Dexter’s Grist Mill
Thomas Dexter began building gristmills on this site in 1637. The mill you see here today started operating in about 1654. The early settlers of Sandwich brought their corn to “The Grist Mill” to be ground into meal, . . . — Map (db m140436) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Sandwich — Edmund Freeman Saddle & Pillion Burial Ground
Edmond Freeman Born in England 1590 Died in Sandwich 1682 A Founder of the Town of Sandwich in 1637 Assistant to Governor Bradford 1640 - 1647 — Map (db m120748) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Adams — Friends Meeting House

Built in 1782 by Quakers who had settled Adams (then East Hoosuc) from Smithfield, R. I. and Dartmouth, Mass. in 1769. Coming together from the farms in this valley, the Friends worshipped here for sixty years before the meeting was laid down . . . — Map (db m118616) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Great Barrington — Great Barrington Bi-Centennial
To Commemorate Great Barrington Bi-Centennial 1761 - 1961 — Map (db m138422) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Lee — Lee First Town Meeting
On this site, in the log house of Peter Wilcox, was held the first town meeting – Dec. 26, 1777. The following men were elected to office. “Moderator – William Ingersoll Clerk – Prince West. These two, and Oliver . . . — Map (db m86710) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), New Marlborough — Historic Town Meeting
On July 11, 1774, the people of New Marlborough Township assembled in their first Meeting-House here to record their opposition to certain acts of the British Parliament. On that day – nearly a year before the Battle of Bunker Hill – . . . — Map (db m136846) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Hancock Shaker Village

has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark

under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m118819) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Shaker Color

The Shakers, perhaps more than any other religious movement, embraced purity of design and consummate craftsmanship in everything they created. These banners represent a sample of the typical and joyful Shaker palette. As you tour this National . . . — Map (db m118818) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Sandisfield — New Boston
New Boston Settled 1751 Founded along the Farmington River by the Dantel Brown family of Boston. Smiths, Demings, Hawley and sears were also early farming settlers. The Browns established the New Boston Inn a store and mills. The village was . . . — Map (db m97508) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), South Williamstown — South Williamstown Five Corners

Site of first cabin built by Isaac Stratton in 1762; first tavern, built by Samuel Sloan in 1767; town meetings in second story hall built by John Jordan in early 1830's. — Map (db m118574) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Here Stood the West Hoosac Blockhouse

Built in 1756 on this house-lot Number Six under decree of the Great and General Court of the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in compliance with urgent appeal from the homesteaders it served as sole refuge from their allied foes the French . . . — Map (db m118713) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Site of First Meeting House

Built in 1768 and removed in 1797 to make way for the second Meeting House, completed 1798 and destroyed by fire January 21, 1866. — Map (db m118715) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Site of West Hoosac Fort

Built in March 1756, as westernmost stockade and blockhouse to protect Massachusetts from French and Indian attack. Defended on July 11, 1756 despite the scalping of three soldiers. — Map (db m118714) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Attleboro — In Memory of Anthony PerryDied-A.D. 1683
For thirty six years (1647-1683) prominent in the affairs of the town of Rehoboth: representing the town in the house of deputies in the Plymouth Colony: when these lands were bought from Wamsutta Chief Sachem of the Wampanoags (1661) he was active . . . — Map (db m57929) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Attleboro — The First Attleborough Towne House
Was erected near here in 1828 the geographic center of the town at that time Committee                   Selectmen Noah Claflin           Elkanah Briggs Abijah M. Ide         Samual Cushman                               Ellis Blackington . . . — Map (db m52405) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Captain Paul Cuffe's Atlantic World
London Cuffe sought support in London from the African Institution - a group that was committed "to stimulating trade with Africa, without itself trading, to promote African education and improved farming methods, and to be a . . . — Map (db m86901) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Centre StreetUtility over Elegance
The view down Centre Street has changed little over the years, and no street in New Bedford served the whaling industry longer. Little finery can be seen in the facades of these buildings, for this was a working waterfront, where utility overrode . . . — Map (db m58182) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — New Bedford Historic District
Has been designated a registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the historic sites act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States — Map (db m58196) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), North Attleboro — Draper Farm Historic Site
Circa 4000BC Natives of this area made tools from red felsite rock. 1669-1771 The Allen, Capron and Mann families owned this property. The Mann family burial ground still remains close by. 1772 Stephan Draper built a homestead . . . — Map (db m57747) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), North Attleboro — Woodcock-Hatch-Maxcy House
Top PlaqueThis marker is given by Massachusetts Society Daughters of the American Colonists in recognition of The role this historic building played in the area's early growth presented: September 13 1969 Bottom Plaque . . . — Map (db m55680) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Norton — Stony BrookChartley Pond Area
This historic area along Stony Brook was named Chartley before 1700. The name is thought to be related to the iron business, which thrived in this area. In 1695, the Taunton North Purchase granted to Thomas and James Leonard land along the . . . — Map (db m55989) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Norton — The Site of the First House in Norton
The Site of the First House in Norton Built by William Witherell A.D. 1669 — Map (db m56216) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Norton — Winneccunnett Pond Area
Winneccunnett Pond is the only sizable, natural body of water in Norton, Massachusetts. Winneccunnett is a Native American word meaning "the place of the black geese." A Native American village was established on the north end of the pond long . . . — Map (db m56459) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan House
Site of Anawan House formerly Lewis Tavern. A haven for travelers between Taunton and Providence Plantations — Map (db m55682) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan House-Inn
Former site of the Anawan House, once called the Lewis Tavern built ca. 1835 as a rest stop for travelers between Taunton and Providence Plantations.

The Anawan House and inn served the public until July 1970.

In February 1971 the building . . . — Map (db m55683) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Bliss-Carpenter Saw & Shingle Mill1729-1870
In 1720, Jonathan Bliss moved here from South Rehoboth and established a sawmill on the East Branch of the Palmer River with a homestead nearby. This homestead was one of the first in the area, and Bliss called it " my farm in the woods" the mill . . . — Map (db m56247) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Cole-Perry Turning Mill1780-1830
The ruins of the old dam are all that remain of the once busy Perry Turning Mill. This mill originally operated as a saw mill in a joint venture by Aaron Cole and Ezra Perry. Perry bought out Cole's share in he early 1800's, and raised the dam, and . . . — Map (db m56249) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Daniel Bullock- Samuel Baker Sawmill site 1750-1850
Plain St. now crosses what was once sawmill pond.

On a cold New Years day in 1830, 14 new converts to the nearby Oak Swamp Baptist Church were baptized by being immersed in the pond through a hole cut in 14" of ice — Map (db m55905) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Horton Signal1777 - 1779
When the British occupied Newport, RI. during the Revolution they often threatened the surrounding towns with raids or "alarums" as they were called. When a raid began a system of beacon fires were lit to warn the militia in neighboring towns to . . . — Map (db m55911) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Indian Oven Rock
About 200 feet south of this spot is a natural oven shaped hole in a rock. According to local tradition, Indians used this as a bake oven and to parch their corn. — Map (db m55684) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Leonard Iron Mine1696 - 1802
Nearby runs Mine Brook named after an iron mine established here in 1696 by the Leonards, a famous iron monger family from Norton and Taunton.

The ore dug at this site called bog iron, was found in the swamp and brook. The Leonards hauled the . . . — Map (db m55679) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Liberty Tree
During the American Revolution, a large white oak called "the Liberty Tree" stood near this place, which was then near the edge of a field. Beacons warning of trouble in Rhode Island could be seen by watchers at nearby Horton's Signal. After . . . — Map (db m55918) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Old Yellow Meeting House
Rehoboth's second Meeting House,built in 1773,was located in the present cemetery. It replaced the Lake St Meeting House, and was used for town meetings and church services. The site included a stable, a cemetery west of the meeting house, a militia . . . — Map (db m55656) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Palmer River Pound"Old Pot Ash Neighborhood" — Circa 1750 —
This town pound maintained by Col. Frederick Drown for many years. Stray cattle were kept here until retrieved by their owners. The Wheeler family ran a pot ash business nearby. — Map (db m55912) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Perryville Dam1740 - 1935
It was known as Butterworth Falls in the colonial days. Deacon Thomas Carpenter and later the Perry family maintained the saw-gristmill-turning shop here for almost 200 years — Map (db m55686) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Redway Plain
Redway Plain is named after James Redway, who settled here in the early 1700's. Originally the plain included this field, The Faxon Farm Field,and the Village Cemetery. Neither Winthrop Street or Pond Street existed before 1828.

From colonial . . . — Map (db m56243) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Sabin Sawmill
Site of Sabin Sawmill circa 1695 one of the first sawmills built in Rehoboth — Map (db m55685) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Samual Baker Grist & Sawmill Site1810-1870
Founded by Josiah Millerd in 1731. For over 140 years neighborhood farmers had their corn ground into meal and their logs sawn into lumber at this mill. — Map (db m55917) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Site of Original Oak Swamp Church(Baptist) — Circa 1750 —
Framing for this church had begun at Peckham Street, when disgruntled Oak Swamp people took away the timbers in the night and raised the church here. — Map (db m55913) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — The Palmer's River Meeting House
Site of "The Palmer's River Meeting House" The first meeting house in the second precinct of Rehoboth.

Construction started in 1717 and completed November 29th 1721, with Reverend David Turner as pastor. Fifty pounds was donated towards the cost . . . — Map (db m55662) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Swansea — Myles Garrison House Site
Near this spot stood the John Myles Garrison House. The place of meeting of the troops of Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth colonies.

Commanded by Majors Thomas Savage and James Cudworth, who marched to the relief of Swansea at the opening of . . . — Map (db m56215) HM

Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Balch House1630 - 1930
Built in 1638 by John Balch, who came over in 1623 with Captain Robert Gorges. The "Old Planters" received this land in exchange for their settlement at Salem. — Map (db m47949) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Conant House1630 - 1930
Roger Conant was a prudent and religious man who led the old planters from Gloucester to Salem in 1626, and held them together until the Bay Colony was founded. This house was built on land given by him to his son Exercise Conant in 1666 — Map (db m47357) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Hale Farm1630 - 1930
This house was built in 1694 by the Rev. John Hale, first minister of the first church in Beverly. A charge of witchcraft made against his wife convinced the minister of the folly and wickedness of the crusade and ended all witch-hunting in Beverly. — Map (db m48760) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Planters Path to their Landing Place1630 - 1930
The old planters, Roger Conant, John Woodbery and John Balch used this path from their homesteads to the cove at the head of Bass river. — Map (db m47401) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Roger Conant
Roger Conant Leader of the Old Planters And Founder in 1626 Of Naumkeag (Salem) Built His House Here in 1636 In the Southern Angle Of A Two Hundred Acre Grant He Lived Here Until His Death November 19, 1679 Erected by the Roger . . . — Map (db m36444) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — Danversport
From 1632-1754 a few farms and native American habitations dotted the woodlands among this land originally granted to pioneer settlers Gov. John Endecott and Rev. Samuel Skelton. On the road to Salem lay the farm of George Jacobs, Sr., a victim . . . — Map (db m43938) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — Salem Village Parsonage1681
In 1681 the Salem village inhabitants built a home for their minister at this site. Ministers residing here were George Burroughs (1681-83), Accused in 1692 of being a witch and hanged; Deodat Lawson (1684-88), Author of the first volume about . . . — Map (db m48720) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — Samuel Parris Archaeological Site
Samuel Parris Archaeological Site 1681-1784 — Map (db m48719) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — Site of Israel Hutchinson's Home / Israel Hutchinson
Site of Israel Hutchinson's Home — Here were brought Danvers Soldiers slain at the battle of Lexington — This memorial is a tribute to his memory, from lineal decendants, and the town of Danvers. — 1896 . . . — Map (db m47197) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The 1681 Salem Village Parsonage
{Not all of the text on this marker can be transcribed.} In February, 1681, the Salem village inhabitants voted, "We will build a house for the Ministry and provid convenient Land for that end. The Dementions of the House are as . . . — Map (db m48721) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The 1734 Addition
{Not all text on marker is transcribed here.} In 1717 Rev. Peter Clark became minister at Salem Village. The 1681 parsonage was in poor condition, so that by the early 1730's Clark asked the inhabitants to come to a decision either to . . . — Map (db m48722) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The Endecott Pear Tree
One-eighth of a mile distant. On a part of the 300 acres granted to Governor John Endecott, is the pear tree planted by the Governor in 1632. This tree still bears fruit. — Map (db m46192) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The Plains
Called "Porter's Plain" after 17th century settler John Porter, this level expanse of about one square mile was sparsely inhabited into the mid-18th century.

By the time of the American Revolution, patriot Captain Jeremiah Page had settled . . . — Map (db m38341) HM

Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — Free School1630 - 1930
A free school for Chebacco parish was opened in an upper room of this house in 1695 by the appointed master, Nathaniel Rust, Junior. The town gave "Six acres of pasture land for the benefit of the school and one-quarter acre for Mr. Rust's . . . — Map (db m47496) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — John Wise House1630 - 1930
Erected in 1701 by John Wise, pastor of the Chebacco parish of Ipswich, now Essex. Son of a laborer, Harvard graduate, army chaplain, protestant against taxation without representation and against the witchcraft delusion, defender of democracy in . . . — Map (db m47955) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — Shipyard of 16681630 - 1930
In 1668 the town granted the adjacent acre of land "To the inhabitants of Ipswich for a yard to build vessels and to employ workmen for that end." The shipbuilding industry has continued uninterruptedly in Essex since that date. — Map (db m47495) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Georgetown — Goodrich Massacre1630 - 1930
Ten rods east stood the house of Benjamin Goodrich who, with his wife and two children, was slain by the Indians on October 23, 1692 — Map (db m47864) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — Cape Ann SettlementMassachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary
On this site in 1623 A company of fishermen and farmers from Dorchester England under the direction of Rev. John White founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony From that time the fisheries the oldest industry in the commonwealth has been . . . — Map (db m85296) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — James Babson Farm
James Babson Farm Granted by Special Town Act December 23, 1658 James and his mother Isabel were the first Babsons to reach America, arriving in 1632. James' father died on shipboard while crossong. ----------------- Town records show . . . — Map (db m36302) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Hamilton — The Covered Wagon1630 - 1930
On December 3, 1787, the first covered wagon to leave Massachusetts for the west set forth from this spot arriving the next spring in the northwest territory and founding Marietta, Ohio. — Map (db m47272) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Haverhill — Pentucket-Haverhill1630 - 1930
On this spot the Indians signed a deed granting Pentucket, now Haverhill, to the white settlers for three pounds ten shillings. The original deed dated November 15, 1642, is now in possession of the Haverhill Historical Society. — Map (db m47862) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Agawam - Ipswich1630 - 1930
Among the founders and early residents of Ipswich - 1630 - were John Winthrop, Junior, scientist and industrial pioneer; Nathaniel Ward, lawmaker and wit; Richard Bellingham and Richard Saltonstall, magistrates who defended popular rights; . . . — Map (db m47556) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Ipswich Massachusetts Village Green Memorial
Side 1 A few rods east of this spot were the dwelling and school house of Ezekiel Cheever first master of the Grammar School 1650-1661. In the east side of the common was the home of Rev. Nathaniel Ward 1634 Minister of Ipswich 1637 . . . — Map (db m97170) HM WM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Masconomet Sagamore of the Agawams
Traditional Grave Site Indians of Agawam Masconomet Sagamore of the Agawams Died March 6 1658 — Map (db m37259) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Pillow Lace1630 - 1930
From the date of its settlement by John Winthrop and twelve associates, 1630, Agawam (Ipswich) was the seat of pillow lace making, by 1790 the annual production was 41,979 yards. This craft continued until the introduction of lace machinery. — Map (db m47920) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Revolution of 16891630 - 1930
Here on August 23, 1687, the citizens of Ipswich, led by the Reverend John Wise, denounced the levey of taxes by the arbirary government of Sir Edmund Andros, and from their protest sprang the American revolution of 1689 — Map (db m47594) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Marblehead — Old Burial Hill1630 - 1930
Established in 1638, one of the oldest graveyards in New England. Site of first meetinghouse. Six hundred Revolutionary heroes and several early pastors were interred at the top of the hill. — Map (db m48005) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Middleton — First Town Meeting
Under a giant oak near this spot on July 9, 1728, Middleton held its first town meeting & received its charter from the province of Massachusetts Bay — Map (db m48472) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newbury — Landing Place of First Settlers1630 - 1930
Landing place on River Parker of the men and women who settled in Newbury between 1635 and 1650. — Map (db m48219) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newbury — Newbury1630 - 1930
Indian region called Quascacunquen, settled 1635 under leadership of the puritan clergyman Thomas Parker — Map (db m47986) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newbury — Newbury1630 - 1930
Indian region called Quascacunquen. Settled 1635 under leadership of the puritan clergyman Thomas Parker. — Map (db m48593) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Approach to Carr's Ferry1630 - 1930
First ferry across the Merrimack river from Newbury to Salisbury, established about 1639, and the only route from Boston to the eastern frontier. In 1641 George Carr was appointed ferryman with rights which continued in his family for generations. — Map (db m47972) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Edward Rawson1630 - 1930
On this site dwelt Edward Rawson, secretary of the bay colony for thirty-six years, deputy to the General Court for twelve years, elected clerk of the House of Deputies in 1645, he died in Boston 1693. — Map (db m47984) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Watts' Cellar1630 - 1930
Near this spot was "Watts Cellar," a landmark before the settlement of Newbury in 1635. An excavation used for the storage of fish by fishermen who visited the New England coast. — Map (db m47985) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Bear Skin Neck1630 - 1930
Named from a bear caught by the tide and killed in 1700. Commercial and shipbuilding center of Rockport for 160 years. First dock built here 1743. Sandy Bay Pier Company organized 1809. Site of Stone Fort and Sea Fencibles Barrack during War of 1812. — Map (db m48007) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — First Settler1630 - 1930
Here stood the cabin of Richard Tarr founder of the Tarr Family on Cape Ann. He came to Marblehead in 1680, then settled in Sacco, Maine. Driven thence by Indians, he became the first settler of Sandy Bay (Rockport) in 1690. — Map (db m48008) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rowley — First Fulling Mill1630 - 1930
Ten rods west is the site of the first fulling mill in the English colonies, built about the year 1643 by John Pearson. — Map (db m47953) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rowley — Maximilian and Joseph Jewett
Near this spot, their graves unmarked, lie buried Maximilian and Joseph Jewett sons of Edward and Mary (Taylor) Jewett of Bradford England They came over in 1638 in the Company led by Rev. Ezekiel Rogers which settled the . . . — Map (db m115313) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rowley — Rowley Burial Ground1630 - 1930
The burial ground set apart at the settlement of the town of Rowley in 1639. Here are buried Ezekiel Rogers, Samuel Phillips, Samuel Shepard, Edward Payson and Jedediah Jewett, the earliest ministers of the town, and nearly all the original . . . — Map (db m115314) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Home of Nathaniel H. Felt
This house, formerly located at 10 Liberty Street, was once the home of Mormon pioneer and local church leader Nathaniel Henry Felt (1816-1887). Born and raised in Salem, Nathaniel and his brother John ran a tailoring business at 217 Essex . . . — Map (db m33724) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Roger ConantBorn 1592 – Died 1679 — The First Settler of Salem, 1626 —
“I was a means, through grace assisting me, to stop the flight of those few that then were here with me, and that by my utter denial to go away with them, who would have gone either for England, or mostly for Virginia.” — Map (db m17985) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Saint Peter's Episcopal ChurchSalem, Massachusetts — Founded 1733 —
The first congregation of the Church of England gathered in Salem in 1626. Driven underground by the puritans, it re-emerged in 1733 as Saint Peter's Parish, built on land given by Philip English, one of the accused Salem witches. Just before the . . . — Map (db m47989) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Salem Harbor
If Salem was once a prosperous world seaport, it was not due to the geography of the harbor, but to the enterprise of her seamen, tradesmen, and merchants. Unlike other major ports such as New York, Salem Harbor had no major river to link it . . . — Map (db m86541) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Salem Maritime National Historic Site
Welcome to Salem Maritime National Historic Site. The site was established in 1938 to preserve the wharves and historic buildings associated with Salem's contributions to the economic development of the young United States. From its founding in . . . — Map (db m86459) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — The Point Neighborhood
Salem's Point neighborhood was originally known as Stage Point for wooden fish-drying “stages” along the peninsula. Stage Point was a center for Salem’s early maritime business, and key to her historic economic development. . . . — Map (db m115319) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — To the Farthest Port
In the late 1700s and early 1800s Salem’s ships reached out to the world. From this wharf alone between 1785 and 1799, shipowner Elias Hasket Derby dispatched 170 trading vessels on pioneering voyages to China, India, the East Indies, and the . . . — Map (db m86538) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Wharves in the Early 1800s
If you visited Salem’s waterfront in the late 1700s or early 1800s you would have been impressed not only by the ships and their exotic cargo, but also by the variety of artisans and craftsmen who worked on the wharf. Sail makers, riggers, rope . . . — Map (db m86536) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salisbury — Robert Pike Homestead
Near by stood the house built in 1639 by Robert Pike, a leader in civil and military affairs who represented Salisbury for thirty-seven years in the general court. — Map (db m75590) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salisbury — Salisbury
Early name Colchester settled in 1638. Name changed to Salisbury in 1640 in compliment to its Puritan clergyman William Worcester of Salisbury, England. — Map (db m77223) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Adam Hawkes1630-1930
Adam Hawkes, the first white settler in Saugus, built on this site about 1630. President John Adams was his great-grandson. — Map (db m48116) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Blacksmith Shop
A ringing anvil and glowing forge were signals that the blacksmith was working. The skill, stamina, and strength of the blacksmith played an important role in constructing machinery and maintaining the ironworkers' equipment. Using simple tools and . . . — Map (db m86452) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Making Iron
Ore, charcoal and rock called gabbro for flux were hauled to this site, and a drying fire was started in the furnace. Within a day or two the water wheels and bellows were set in motion, and the “blast”, once begun, would burn . . . — Map (db m86192) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — River Basin Terminus
The discovery of a navigable river at a site which also offered timber and flowing water for power was cause for company investors and site planners to celebrate. Improved roads to this remote area did not exist in the 1600s. Transportation to the . . . — Map (db m86451) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — The Casting House
A furnace at full blast kept founders preparing to receive up to a ton of molten liquid iron. Crucible contents were checked frequently and slag impurities that float on top of the heavier molten iron were removed. All preparations had to be . . . — Map (db m86454) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — The Forge
At the forge, porous and brittle cast iron was changed into tough, strong, flexible wrought iron. To the sounds of four water wheels turning, the bellows flapping, and the ground-shaking thump of the power hammer, men toiled to make wrought-iron . . . — Map (db m86349) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Topsfield — Parson Capen House
Parson Capen House has been designated a National Historc Landmark This site possesses national signficance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m47177) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — This Stone Marks the Site of Peter Hill
This stone marks the site of Peter Hill on which about the year 1638 Reverend Hugh Peter Pastor of the church in Salem preached the first sermon in Wenham Text from John III.23 "In enon near to Salim because there was . . . — Map (db m48730) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — Wenham1630 - 1930
Settled about 1636, called Enon "Because there was much water there" (St. John III, 23). Set off from Salem and name changed to Wenham 1643 — Map (db m47221) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — Wenham1630 - 1930
Settled about 1636, called Enon, "Because there was much water there" (St. John III, 23). Set off from Salem and name changed to Wenham 1643. — Map (db m48728) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — Wenham Lake1630 - 1930
Early called the Great Pond. Favorite resort of the indians. Hugh Peter preached on it's shores in 1638 — Map (db m48729) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort1630 - 1930
Built in 1740 on this site. The first Proprietor's Meeting in Fall Town was held here in 1741. The Lieutenant's son Eliakim was shot by Indians in 1747 while working west of the fort walls. — Map (db m48011) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Benjamin Barrett
Benjamin Barrett -Carpenter - Born 1653 – Died 1690 Soldier with Captain Turner 1676 Settled on Plum Tree Plain Deerfield 1684 Owner of this home Lot No. 27 when he died 1690 This memorial is erected by his lineal . . . — Map (db m141120) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Deerfield1673 - 1973
Where Mohawk struck Pocumtuck pride, Sentinel stalks of Indian corn Still guard the Meadow of our world: The sad silence of grass-grown graves A frontier home on the falling ridge And a cold gray February dawn. All of America . . . — Map (db m141333) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Deerfield Massacre
Feb 29, 1703-4 The unfortified house of Benoni Stebbins standing on this lot was held by 7 men besides women and children for three hours against the assault of 200 soldiers and the wiles of 140 Indians. under a French . . . — Map (db m141156) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Godfrey Nims
Godfrey Nims Ancestor of All of the Name of Nims Settled in Deerfield 1674 Fought under Capt. Turner 1676 Bought this Home Lot 1692 His House Burned, His Wife and Seven Children Captured or Killed by Indians in 1704. This New . . . — Map (db m141115) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Home of Joseph Stebbins
Home of Joseph Stebbins Born 1749 Died 1816 Lover of Liberty And Servant of His Country __________ Lieutenant of Minute Men Who Marched on the Lexington Alarm Captain at the Battle of Bunker Hill Fought at Stillwater . . . — Map (db m141334) HM WM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — John Sheldon and Hannah Stebbins
John Sheldon 1658 - 1733 Hannah Stebbins 1664 – 1704 Married Nov 5 1679 The Home Of John Sheldon Was On This Lot Here Feb 29 1704 His Wife And One Child Were Killed And Four Children Were Taken Captive By The . . . — Map (db m143814) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — John Stebbins Home Lot
This Marks the Home Lot where John Stebbins Grandson of Rowland the Emigrant A Permanent Settler of 1652 Lived and Died __________ A Soldier under Capt. Lothrop The Only Man Known who Escaped Unhurt At the Bloody Brooke . . . — Map (db m141336) HM WM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Memorial Hall
Memorial Hall Built in 1798 Occupied as Deerfield Academy Until 1878 Dedicated in 1880 to the Preservation of the Record of Early Days in New England by the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association This Tablet is Erected on . . . — Map (db m141125) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Deerfield1630 - 1930
Indian land called Pocomtuck, settled by men from Dedham in 1671. Attacked by Indians, burnt, and abandoned in 1675. Reoccupied and attacked in 1704 by French and Indians, who took 47 lives, and carried off 112 captives to Canada, of whom 60 were . . . — Map (db m48012) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Deerfield1630 - 1930
Indian land called Pocomtuck, settled by men from Dedham in 1671. Attacked by Indians, burnt, and abandoned in 1675. Reoccupied and attacked in 1704 by French and Indians, who took 47 lives, and carried off 112 captives to Canada, of whom 60 were . . . — Map (db m48773) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Deerfield Village
Old Deerfield Village Has been Designated A Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the . . . — Map (db m141339) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Indian House
Site of the Old Indian House Built by Ensign John Sheldon 1698 It stood for 144 years testifying to the tragedy of Feb. 29, 1703 its stout door which kept at bay the French and Indians 13 now safe in Memorial Hall . . . — Map (db m141341) HM WM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Rev. Samuel Mather M.A.
In Memory Of Rev. Samuel Mather. M.A. Pioneer Minister of Deerfield 1673 – 75. Who lived in a house on this site. Born at Dorchester, 1650. Graduated Harvard College 1671. Married Hannah, Daughter of Governor Robert Treat Of . . . — Map (db m141956) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — The Village of Deerfield
The Village of Deerfield is an old settlement on an ancient site. The Mile-long street before you was originally a Native path. Ancestors of the Pocumtuck, an Algonquin people, lived here in their homeland for at least 8,000 years, travelling . . . — Map (db m141346) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Greenfield — Town of Greenfield
Settled 1686 by Deerfield residents, incorporated 1753 & made county seat 1811. A major industrial & commercial center at crossroads of major North/South & East/West transportation routes. Home of first American cutlery factory & world's largest tap . . . — Map (db m59927) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Hawley — First Church of Hawley
Site of the First Church of Hawley Erected 1793 Reverend Jonathan Grout 1st Pastor This memorial placed by the sons and daughters of Hawley August 10, 1935 — Map (db m25876) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Orange — Orange Town PoundBuilt Mid 1700s
Used to hold stray farm animals until claimed by their owners. A fee was paid for their release. Most colonial towns had a pound; this is one of very few still standing. — Map (db m73551) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Shelburne Falls — First Permanent Settlement in Shelburne
Site of First Permanent Settlement in Shelburne, Mass. 1760 Martin Severance 1718 - 1810 Scout in French and Indian Wars Scout with Rogers Rangers Revolutionary soldier Marked by Dorothy Quincy Hancock Chapter, Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m59639) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Chicopee — The Girls and Boys of Bemisuwka
Upper Plaque They, too, wanted only to live by the side of this Park and be a friend to man. Instead, off to war they went, by their sense of duty sent, in response to pleas, of peoples, forced to their knees. Some gave all they had others did . . . — Map (db m56054) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hadley — Holyoke Range and Skinner State Parks
The park’s westernmost peak, Mt Holyoke, was the site of North America’s first summit house (1821) and the state’s first mountain tramway (1854). Located in the towns of Hadley, South Hadley, Amherst, Belchertown, and Granby, the two parks were . . . — Map (db m65741) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Northampton — Cornet Joseph ParsonsA Founder of Northampton, Massachusetts
In Memory of Cornet Joseph Parsons c. 1618-1683 A founder of Northampton and his wife Mary (Bliss) Parsons c. 1628-1711/12 — Map (db m24863) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Whittemore Park
“Uncle Sam”           The birthplace of Samuel Wilson once stood near the main crossroad of the Northwest parish of Cambridge, the center of the district known as Menotomy. Wilson, born on September 13, 1766, was only eight when . . . — Map (db m45243) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Billerica — Billerica1630 - 1930
Early name Shawshin, originally a part of Cambridge, set off as a town in 1655. Named after Billerica in Essex. — Map (db m48832) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Sir Richard's Landing
Here at the river’s edge the settlers of Watertown led by Sir Richard Saltonstall landed July 30, 1630.

Here Reverend George Phillips protest in 1632 against taxation without representation struck the first note of civil liberty heard in this . . . — Map (db m43365) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Sir Richard's Landing1630 - 1930
Here at the river's edge the settlers of Watertown led by Sir Richard Saltonstall landed in June 1630. Later this spot became known as Gerry's Landing, for Elbridge Gerry, signer of the Declaration of Independence and Governor of Massachusetts who . . . — Map (db m48016) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Way to Charlestown1630 – 1930
Washington Street, Somerville, and Kirkland and Brattle Streets, Cambridge, "Skirting marshes and river," follow the old Indian trail from Charlestown to Watertown. Along this way in 1636 went the Reverend Thomas Hooker and his congregation on their . . . — Map (db m48017) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Chelmsford — Chelmsford1630 - 1930
Settled in 1653 by people from Concord and Woburn. Named after Chelmsford in Essex. — Map (db m48834) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — House of Rev Peter Bulkeley
Here in the house of the Reverend Peter Bulkeley first minister and one of the founders of this town a bargain was made with the Squaw Sachem, the Sacamore Tahattawan and other Indians who then sold their right in the six miles square called Concord . . . — Map (db m18527) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — Jethro’s Tree1630 - 1930
Near this spot stood the ancient oak known as Jethro’s Tree beneath which Major Simon Willard and his associates bought from the Indians the “6 myles of land square” ordered by the General Court for the Plantation of Concord September . . . — Map (db m18169) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — On this Hill
On this Hill the Settlers of Concord built their Meeting House near which they were buried. On the southern slope of the ridge were their Dwellings during the first winter. Below it they laid out their first Road and on the summit stood the Liberty . . . — Map (db m18556) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — The First Settlement - 1635
Westward to the meetinghouse along the sunny slope of this ridge the settlers of Concord built their first dwellings. — Map (db m127419) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Dunstable — Dunstable1630 – 1930
Settled before 1673, a town in 1680, divided by the New Hampshire – Massachusetts boundary, the northern part becoming Nashua, New Hampshire in 1741. — Map (db m43413) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Dunstable — Dunstable1630 – 1930
Settled before 1673, a town in 1680, divided by the New Hampshire – Massachusetts boundary, the northern part becoming Nashua, New Hampshire in 1741. — Map (db m43415) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), East Lexington — Charles Follen
Born in Hesse-Darmstadt September 4, 1796 A fearless advocate of Liberty and Justice. Exiled for conscience sake, he sought in America the freedom denied him in the Old World. Distinguished for rich and varied learning, for uncompromising devotion . . . — Map (db m19194) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Groton — John Tinker / John Shattuck
(marker north side) John Tinker an original petitioner and one of the first selectmen of Groton built, prior to 1659, an Indian trading post about 500 yds easterly of this marker. The first settlement was made nearby soon afterwards. . . . — Map (db m136600) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Hopkinton — The Bay Path1630 - 1930
An Indian trail before 1630. Pathway of the Pioneers. — Map (db m50139) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Wannalancet1630 - 1930
On Wickasee Island (now Tyngs Island) in the Merrimac dwelt Wannalancet, last sachem of the Pennacook Confederacy, and like his father Passaconway, a faithful friend to the English. — Map (db m48022) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Marlborough — High School Common
Site of first meeting house completed in 1662, Rev. William Brimsmead Minister. It was built within the limits of the Indian planting field which was part of the Ockoocangansett Plantation, and was a source of hostile feelings toward the settlers. . . . — Map (db m66595) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Marlborough — Williams Tavern1630 - 1930
The first tavern was erected on this site by Lieutenant Abraham Williams in 1665. Destroyed by Indians in 1676, it was promptly rebuilt and managed by the Williams Family until 1829. Here the early Circuit Courts convened, stage coaches changed . . . — Map (db m48023) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Reading — Reading1630 - 1930
Formerly part of Lynn, called Lynn Village, set off as a separate town 1664. — Map (db m41957) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Reading — The Old Parker Tavern - 16801630 - 1930
One-eighth of a mile to "the simple home of an ordinary man, not wealthy, not particularly distinguished, but a type of the God-fearing yeomanry .... as Ephraim Parker left it, it remains today an unchanged relic in the midst of a . . . — Map (db m48840) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Stow — Stow1630 - 1930
The plantation called Pompositticut, settled about 1660, became a town and received its present name, 1685. — Map (db m48026) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Stow — Stow1630 - 1930
The plantation called Pompositticut, settled about 1660, became a town and received its present name, 1685. — Map (db m48027) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sudbury — Sudbury1630 - 1930
Settled 1638 by a company of Puritans who arrived in the ship "Confidence" and were attracted by the meadows on the Musketaquid River. Named after Sudbury in Suffolk. — Map (db m48028) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Watertown — Roger Clap Memorial
HERE LANDED ROGER CLAP AND THE DORCHESTER MEN JUNE 1630

We went up the Charles River, until the river grew narrow and shallow, and there we landed our goods with much labor and toil, the bank being steep; and night coming on, we were informed . . . — Map (db m43363) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Watertown — Watertown1630 - 1930
Settled by Puritans in 1630 under the leadership of Sir Richard Saltonstall and the Rev. George Phillips who stood firmly for religious toleration and the right of the people to a representative government. — Map (db m48029) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Watertown — Watertown1630 - 1930
Settled by Puritans in 1630 under the leadership of Sir Richard Saltonstall and the Rev. George Phillips who stood firmly for religious toleration and the right of the people to a representative government. — Map (db m48030) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Winchester — Converse Bridge1640 1915
Site of first bridge crossing the Aberjona River over against the Edward Converse House, also site of the King's Ford located at lower side of bridge from 1638 to 1845. — Map (db m82666) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Winchester — John Harvard's Land1630 - 1930
In 1638 this tract of about one hundred and twenty acres was granted by the town of Charlestown to its Teaching Elder John Harvard. He died the same year, aged thirty-one, leaving half his property to the College which was then named after him. — Map (db m48833) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Dedham1630 - 1930
Settled in 1636 by people from Watertown and Roxbury. In early years the town extended to the Rhode Island line. — Map (db m48173) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — East Foxborough
Settled by members of the Atherton, Boyden, Hodges, Morse, Pratt, Robbins and other families, This section was known as Robbins Corner for many years. The identity changed with the arrival of the railroad and the establishment of East Foxboro Depot . . . — Map (db m55869) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — First Settler / Roads and Boundaries
First Settler The first dwelling in what would become Foxborough was erected in 1669. It was located west of nearby Wading River on a farm laid out for Captain William Hudson who was a Boston tavern keeper. Hudson never lived here, but leased . . . — Map (db m55866) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — Wading River Farm
Wading River Farm Location of First house in Foxborough 1670 — Map (db m55854) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Entering Baker Street Historic District
The homes on Baker Street represent people and diverse architecture from two significant periods of Foxborough history, the 19th century straw hat era and the 20th century transition to industrial manufacturing. — Map (db m55872) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Morseville
Populated by members of the Morse family since the early 1700's, this section of Foxborough was known as Morseville. By 1737, Jedediah Morse had dammed the Neponset River forming Crack Rock Pond and built both a saw mill and a bloomery forge near . . . — Map (db m55879) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Paineburgh-Foxvale
Originally settled as Paineburgh, taking its name from the many members of the Paine family who settled here, this section of Foxborough had a strong sense of community with its own elementary school, chapel, railroad station and Post Office. . . . — Map (db m55870) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Dorchester School FarmTown of Foxborough Incorporated 1778
To help support its public school,Dorchester set aside a 650 acre farm in this vicinity which it leased in 1710 to Robert Calef for a total of 308 years. Solomon Hews was operating a tavern here in 1728 when governor William Burnet and the . . . — Map (db m55885) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), North Weymouth — The First Church in WeymouthGathered in 1623
. . . — Map (db m107406) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Hancock CemeteryThe Old Burial Ground
Set apart after 1640 • • • • • Here lie buried The early settlers of the town the first minister the first teacher Rev. John Hancock (1702 – 1744) for whom this place is named Father of the patriot Henry Adams (1583 – 1646) and . . . — Map (db m31249) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Henry Adams
Here lyeth the body of Henry Adams founder of the Braintree branch of the Adams family in America buried in this cemetery Oct. 8, 1646 — Map (db m31253) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Randolph — Town of Randolph

Incorporated 1793 — Bicentennial 1974 Part of Mt. Wollaston Settlement 1625 Indian Deed Grant by Wampatuck Sagamore, Sachem Chief Chicataubut in reign of Charles II 1665 — Map (db m117904) HM

Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Captain Myles Standish
Capt. Myles Standish. (c. 1584 - October 3, 1656) was one of the passengers aboard the Mayflower, arriving in Plymouth Colony in the late-fall of 1620. Little is known of his early life and career. He was most likely raised in . . . — Map (db m147415) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Site of First Church
Site of First Church 1632 First Minister 1637-1658 Ralph Partridge — Map (db m56241) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Site of Nook Gate
Site of Nook Gate Here a palisade was erected across the Nook in 1634 This palisade was a high fence to prevent cattle from straying and probably to keep the Indians out Town of Duxbury 1940Map (db m147749) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Welcome to the Old Burial Ground, c. 1632-1787
Welcome to the Old Burying Ground, c. 1632-1787 The Old Burying Ground (also known as the Myles Standish Burying Ground) is the oldest maintained cemetery in the United States. The first burials occurred here as early as 1632, shortly after . . . — Map (db m147784) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Hingham — Reverend Peter Hobart
In grateful memory of Reverend Peter Hobart and that company of English men and women who founded the town of Hingham, landing near this spot in September, 1635 — Map (db m2851) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Hingham — Samuel Lincoln House1630 - 1930
Samuel Lincoln, ancestor of President Abraham Lincoln, and one of the eight early settlers of Hingham bearing that name, purchased this land in 1649. Seven generations of Lincoln descendants lived here. — Map (db m42633) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — 1630-1930
To Honor and Perpetuate the Memory of John Eddy and Samuel Eddy Arrived at Plymouth on the “Handmaid” Oct. 29, 1630 Sons of Rev. William Eddye, B.A., M, A. Cambridge, England Vicar of St. Dunstan church, Cranbrook, Kent . . . — Map (db m75829) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — America’s First Street
. . . — Map (db m107444) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — America’s Hometown at the Heart of Plymouth CountyWelcome to Plymouth, Massachusetts
Plymouth, “America’s Hometown” is the site of the first permanent settlement of English Colonists in New England. Climb aboard Mayflower II, a recreation of the ship that sailed the Pilgrims to the new world . . . and learn . . . — Map (db m107545) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — America's HometownPlymouth — Massachusetts —
The Pilgrams landed in Plymouth, America's Hometown, in December 1620. Covering 102 square miles, it is the largest town in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Plymouth's shoreline stretches 37 miles along Cape Cod Bay and with its boundaries lay 365 . . . — Map (db m108370) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Dr. Samuel Fuller
This lot bounded by Middle or King St. and LeBaron Alley was once owned by Dr. Samuel Fuller of the Mayflower and was given by his wife and son to the First Church for the use of the minister. — Map (db m107437) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Edward Doty
They believed in religious freedom in honor of Edward Doty Passenger on the Mayflower Erected by Descendants of Eliza Doty Gravath A pioneer to Utah in 1850 — Map (db m107526) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Elder William Brewster
In memoriam Elder William Brewster Patriarch of the Pilgrims and their ruling elder   1609-1644 Outstanding leader of Pilgrim movement, the founding of Plimouth Plantation and the establishment of civil and religious liberty in the New World. B. at . . . — Map (db m107522) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — First Burying Ground of Mayflower Passengers
This monument marks the first burying ground in Plymouth of the passengers of the MayflowerHere, under cover of darkness, the fast dwindling company laid their dead, leveling the earth above them lest the Indians should learn how many were the . . . — Map (db m107416) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — First House Built by the Pilgrims
This tablet is erected by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to mark the site of the First House Built by the Pilgrims. In that house on the 27th of February 1621 new style the Right of Popular Suffrage was exercised and Miles Standish was chosen . . . — Map (db m107431) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — House of Isaac Doten
This Original House was built in 1745 by Isaac Doten who was the Constable for the town of Plymouth, which at that time was a British Colony under the reign of George II of England. — Map (db m107434) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — James Cole
. . . — Map (db m107426) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — John Alden
Site of the house where John Alden lived while in Plymouth. This stone erected by his descendants The Alden Kindred of America 1930 — Map (db m107378) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Leyden Street
Leyden Street, originally known to the first settlers as First Street, Great Street or Broad Street, is where the Pilgrims began building their houses in the winter of 1620-21, and it has been the heart of the town ever since. Extending from the . . . — Map (db m75830) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Major William Bradford
H       I William Bradford of Austerfield Yorkshire England. Was the son of William and Alice Bradford. He was Governor of Plymouth Colony from 1621 to 1633 1635 1637 1639 to 1643 1645 to 1657 < Rear of obelisk : > Under this stone rest . . . — Map (db m107510) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Mr. Thomas Clarke
Here lies buried ye body of Mr. Thomas Clarke Aged 98. Departed this life March 24, 1697. Thomas Clarke was Mate of the Mayflower according to tradition in the Plymouth and connecting Colonies. History gives his arrival in Plymouth from England in . . . — Map (db m107462) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — On This Lot
On This Lot Stood The First House Of The Mayflower Pilgrim John Howland The Pilgrim John Howland Society 1978 — Map (db m105377) HM

256 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 56
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020