Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Settlements & Settlers Historical Markers

 
Alton Bay Transportation Center Marker image, Touch for more information
By James R. Murray, August 10, 2016
Alton Bay Transportation Center Marker
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Alton Bay — 164 — Alton Bay Transportation CenterRailroad Square
This location became a transportation center on August 30, 1851, upon completion of the Cocheco Railroad from Dover to Alton Bay. The first "Mount Washington" steamboat was built here in 1872. For forty years a railroad terminus, here northbound . . . — Map (db m96751) HM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — The Town of TiltonTilton Riverfront Park
In 1850, approximately 100 years after the town of Sanbornton was settled, a group of citizens petitioned to form a new town. Voted on at a special town meeting in 1869, and approved by the voters and the governor of N.H., the town of Tilton was . . . — Map (db m97229) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Albany — Cart Roads and Wagon Paths Connect a Community
Today a trip to town takes minutes. For homesteaders, traveling the bumpy 15 miles to Conway by wagon took 3 hours, on a good day. Trips to the store would not have been casual affairs, but a chance to stock up on supplies. 50 lb. sacks . . . — Map (db m116172) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Fitzwilliam — 99 — Brigadier General James Reed(1722-1807)
This veteran Captain of the French and Indian War, born in Woburn, Mass., settled here about 1765 as an original proprietor of Monadnock No. 4, now Fitzwilliam. After the Battle of Lexington, he recruited several companies to form the Third New . . . — Map (db m136527) HM WM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Keene — The Old Fort
This boulder marks the site of the old fort built in 1738 by the early settlers of Upper Ashuelot as a refuge from the Indians — Map (db m59781) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Walpole — John Kilburn Cabin
. . . — Map (db m66284) HM WM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), West Chesterfield — Site of First House in Chesterfield
Site of First House in Chesterfield Built November 1761 by Moses Smith — Map (db m44492) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Berlin — 159 — Boom Piers
The small man-made 'islands' in the river were used to secure a chain of boom logs which divided the Androscoggin River during the colorful and dramatic annual log drives, when the Brown Paper Company and the International Paper Company shared the . . . — Map (db m74564) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Berlin — 215 — Maynesborough's First Residence1824
On the knoll north of this site, William Sessions and his nephew, Cyrus Wheeler erected "the first building that could be honored with the name of house" in what is now Berlin, NH. Sessions helped clear many other farms in the area. In the 20th . . . — Map (db m87972) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — 30 — The Crawford Family
For whom the Notch is named, included Abel and his sons, Thomas J. and Ethan Allen. They established the first regional hotels and pioneered in opening the White Mountain area to the public. Ethan and his wife, Lucy Howe Crawford, author of an 1846 . . . — Map (db m44299) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — 233 — Zealand and James Everell Henry
The village of Zealand grew up in 1875 to serve the logging industry. Henry owned 10,000 acres in the heart of the White Mtns., with a 10-mile railroad to move logs from forest to sawmill. The village had a post office, school, store, housing, and . . . — Map (db m74556) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Dixville Notch — Early Settlers
Here lies buried the first and only settlers of Dixville until 1865, John Whittemore and his wife Betsey. Dixville had been granted to Colonel Timothy Dix in 1805 on the condition that thirty settlers be established here within five years. . . . — Map (db m115640) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Jefferson — 229 — Granny Stalbird1755-1845
Known as Granny Stalbird, Deborah Vicker came through Crawford Notch c.1796 as cook for Col. Joseph Whipple. It is said she brought the first bible to the north country. She married Richard Stalbird and settled on land deeded to her by Whipple in . . . — Map (db m77632) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — 6 — Lancaster N. H.: Stories of People and PlacesWilder-Holton House
The house was built by Jonas Wilder in 1780 and served as a place for town and religious meetings as well as an inn for travelers. The Holton family later acquired it and owned it for over a century. In 1964 the Holton family sold the house to . . . — Map (db m140029) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Pinkham's Grant — 011 — First Ascent of Mount Washington
Darby Field, a New Hampshire settler, accomplished this difficult feat in 1642 from a southerly approach. Partly guided by Indians and with only primitive equipment at his disposal, he is thus alleged to be the originator of all Mount Washington . . . — Map (db m77638) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Pittsburg — 001 — Republic of Indian Stream
In 1832 the settlers of the area between Indian Stream and Hall's Stream, claimed by both Canada and the United States, set up the independent republic of Indian Stream. Yielding to New Hampshire in 1836, Indian Stream became part of Pittsburg and . . . — Map (db m75611) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stewartstown — 047 — Metallak
Hunter, trapper, fisherman and guide, well and favorably known by the region's early settlers, "The Lone Indian of the Magalloway" was the last survivor of a band of Abnaki inhabiting the Upper Androscoggin. Blinded by accidents, Metallak died a . . . — Map (db m75602) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bath — 121 — Bath, New Hampshire
Settled in 1766 by Jaasiel Harriman whose cabin was near the Great Rock. His nine year old daughter Mercy carried dirt in her apron to the top of this unique rock formation. Here she planted corn, pumpkins and cucumbers, making the first garden . . . — Map (db m74569) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Easton — 200 — Wildwood
In this area of Easton (formerly part of Landaff and before that, Lincoln), the settlement of Wildwood once stood. At the turn of the 20th century Wildwood was a center for the "slash and run" logging of Mt. Moosilauke. The Village included a . . . — Map (db m75773) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Enfield — Downtown Enfield Village
Downtown Enfield Village This village, formerly called North Enfield, grew around mills powered by the Mascoma River. In the 1840s, railroad service and economic investment by the Enfield Shakers laid the foundation for its growth as a mill village . . . — Map (db m98152) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Enfield — Office of the Enfield Advocate
Office of the Enfield Advocat In this 1900 wood-frame building, the village’s first weekly newspaper, the Enfield Advocate,was published until 1946, and postcards and souvenir books of Mascoma Lake were printed and sold to a growing . . . — Map (db m98154) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Enfield — The Enfield Shakers
The Enfield Shakers Founded in 1793, Shaker Village was the 9th of the original Shaker communities established in the U.S. At its peak c.1850 some 300 Shakers lived, worked and worshipped here, practicing equality of the sexes, celibacy, pacifism, . . . — Map (db m98107) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — Early Franconia
This quiet site once buzzed with activity as the center of Franconia's economy during the time of the Industrial Revolution. A dam about 200 feet upstream provided water power for an iron smelter across the river and for grist, saw and . . . — Map (db m116363) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Haverhill — 160 — Haverhill Corner Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places, 1987 Town of Haverhill granted, 1763
"The Corner" was part of a mile-wide strip of land claimed by both Haverhill and Piermont, and finally divided between them. Haverhill Corner's architecture reflects its history as Grafton County seat (1793–1891), home of Haverhill Academy . . . — Map (db m88003) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Waterville Valley — By Foot and Horseback, Stagecoach and Car
Generations of visitors have followed this trail According to local historians, Native Americans once traveled a path through the area to hunt and fish. During the nineteenth century, writers and artists, moved by the splendor of the . . . — Map (db m125094) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Bedford — 102 — Colonel John Goffe(1701 - 1786)
This is considered to be the site of Colonel John Goffe's log dwelling. In 1744 Goffe build a gristmill on Bowman's Brook, later run by his son, Major John Goffe (1727–1813), and his grandson, Theodore Atkinson Goffe (1769–1860). The . . . — Map (db m88052) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Manchester — The Historic Currier Neighborhood
The Currier Museum of Art originally opened in 1929, in a building designed by Edward Tilton of the New York architectural firm Tilton and Githens. Major expansions to the 1929 building were added to the north of the original building in 1982 . . . — Map (db m125009) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Merrimack — 029 — Old Dunstable
Was the original town, chartered by Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1673, which embraced parts of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The New Hampshire portion of this area, following determination of the province boundary in 1741, was subsequently . . . — Map (db m88053) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Weare — 0143 — East Weare Village
In 1960 their beautiful community was sacrificed for the Everett Flood Control Project. Their village was the home for over 60 families and was a self supporting thriving community. Farming and lumbering was the way of life for the . . . — Map (db m132346) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Eastman
Erected By The Eastman Association In Memory of Captain Ebenezer Eastman First Settler of Concord 1727 1924 — Map (db m129848) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Main Street's OriginsDowntown Concord — Est. 1725 —
Downtown Emerges Ever since Concord was first settled in 1726, Main Street has been its principal thoroughfare. The town's first plan shows an unnamed street that follows the same path as today's Main Street. The 1-1/2 mile route was . . . — Map (db m115859) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — On The Interval Below This Spot
On the interval below this spot a committee of the General Court of Massachusetts Bay, their surveyors and attendants there present to locate and survey the Plantation of Penny Cook, conducted the first religious service ever held in the central . . . — Map (db m129757) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Site of First Block House
Site of First Block House Erected 1726-7. Used As Meeting House Town House And School House. — Map (db m130508) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — The First Garrison in Concord
Around this house was erected in 1746 the first stated garrison in Concord to protect from the French and Indian enemy the families of Rev. Timothy Walker, Capt. John Chandler, Abraham Bradley, Samuel Bradley, John Webster, Nathaniel Rolf, Joseph . . . — Map (db m115939) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — This Monument is in Memory of Samuel Bradley
This monument is in memory of Samuel Bradley Jonathan Bradley Obadiah Peters John Bean & John Lufkin Who were massacred August 11TH, 1746 By the Indians near This spot ~ Erected 1837 By Richard Bradley Son of the Hon. John Bradley, & . . . — Map (db m129598) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Hill — 0162 — New Hill Village
In February 1937, Hill residents learned that their village, near the Pemigewasset River, was to become a flood control reservoir for the Franklin Falls dam project. By January of 1940, the citizens of Hill formed an association, purchased . . . — Map (db m139315) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Loudon — Shaker Village

Take opposite road 2.6 miles to the attractive buildings of this Utopian community organized in 1792 in the township of Canterbury. The Shakers established high standards of agricultural efficiency, craftsmanship and domestic skill for their . . . — Map (db m117623) HM

New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Pembroke — Pembroke Street / Watering Trough
(side 1: Pembroke Street) Pembroke Street is one of several parallel roads laid out when the town was planned between 1730~36. The original large lots along this wide thoroughfare were subdivided into smaller lots for dwellings, . . . — Map (db m115824) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Pembroke — 187 — Suncook Village
The waters of Suncook River were harnessed in the 1730’s, eventually powering saw and grist mills, forge shops, and paper mills. The first cotton factory, owned by Major Caleb Stark, was built here in 1811. By 1900, Pembroke Mill, Webster Mill, . . . — Map (db m115837) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — Exeter NH Folsom and Gilman Marker
In honor of John Folsom and his wife Mary Gilman, progenitors of the American Folsoms, natives of Hingham, England emigrated 1638, settled Exeter 1655. This stone erected by their descendants on land granted to Lieutenant Peter Folsom, was once the . . . — Map (db m96467) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — 032 — Revolutionary Capital
Founded by Rev. John Wheelwright in 1638, Exeter was one of the four original towns in the colony. Following New Hampshire’s provisional declaration of independence on January 5, 1776, it served as the capital of the new state during the period of . . . — Map (db m75244) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Fremont — Historic Black Rocks Village / Historic Fremont, N.H.-Olde Poplin
(side 1) Historic Black Rocks Village Settled in the 1720's this section of Poplin, (now Fremont) between Scribner Road & Rowe's Gas Station at 225 Main Street, gradually grew into a thriving settlement called "Black Rocks . . . — Map (db m115780) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), New Castle — Frost Cemetery
The Frost Cemetery was a private family burying ground passed down through the Frost and Bell families for many generations. The families lived near the Piscataqua River and the cemetery was located at the end of their properties near the . . . — Map (db m135323) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Rye — 018 — Isles Of Shoals
About six miles offshore, these nine rocky islands served Europeans as a fishing station before the first mainland settlements were made in 1623. Capt John Smith (1580-1631) named the group "Smiths Isles" in 1614. The codfish that "shoaled" or . . . — Map (db m74581) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Rye — New Isles of Shoals Marker
Origins of New England John Smith’s map and widely read book “A Description of New England” detailed the region’s teeming fishing banks, abundant game, clean rivers, vast forests and native people. The book had a major influence . . . — Map (db m107445) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Seabrook — 103 — Shapley Line
Based on the 1640 southern boundary of Bachiler's farm, it was surveyed by Capt. Nicholas Shapley in 1657, dividing the Province of New Hampshire from the Massachusetts Bay Colony 1689-1741. In 1662 three Quaker women, being banished from the . . . — Map (db m115419) HM
New Hampshire (Strafford County), New Durham — New Durham Meeting House
The New Durham Meetinghouse was built by settlers from Durham and nearby towns in 1770 as their house of worship and seat of government until 1819 when the town's first church was built. This area was the town center until the 1850's when the . . . — Map (db m96748) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Captain Phineas Stevens
This tablet commemorates the successful defense of the fort on this site by Captain Phineas Stevens and his company of rangers against a large war-party of French and Indians April 7-10 1747 — Map (db m66278) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — 002 — Fort at No. 4
In 1744 the settlers at No. 4 (now Charlestown) built a great log fort enclosing many of the town's dwelling. The fort, northernmost in the Connecticut Valley, was besieged in 1747 by a large force of French and Indians, who were beaten off by the . . . — Map (db m74584) HM WM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Claremont — 041 — First Roman Catholic Church
Southerly on Old Church Road is located the first Roman Catholic edifice in New Hampshire. It was erected in 1823 under the direction of the Reverend Virgil Horace Barber, S.J. The building serves St. Mary's parish and contained the first Roman . . . — Map (db m109414) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Claremont — 057 — Union Church
Located easterly on Old Church Road, this wood-frame structure, built 1771–1773, is the oldest standing Episcopal church in the State, serving the second oldest parish. The parish began in 1768 as a mission of the Society for the Propagation . . . — Map (db m109370) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), North Charlestown — North Charlestown Village
Est. 1740 National Register District — Map (db m65799) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — 94 — Birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
In April 1842, a group of citizens in this town banded together to form "the first Christian Society." In the Adventist movement of 1842-43, they espoused the Advent hope. In January 1842, these Washington Sabbathkeepers, after meeting for many . . . — Map (db m73224) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH
N.H. Washington The first town incorporated under the name of George Washington Our first president December 13, 1776 Erected Nov. 1932 — Map (db m104566) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH Town CommonNational Register of Historic Places
The Washington Common has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m104562) HM

55 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020