Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Settlements & Settlers Historical Markers

931 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 731
 
Erie County face of marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, February 14, 2020
Erie County face of marker
Ohio, Vermilion — Vermilion / Erie County
Vermillion. Founded 1808, incorporated 1837. • Settled by Connecticut “Firelanders.” • Name derived from red banks along river. • Old Indian Fort, up river, famous for giving protection to Vermilion Tribe and roving bands. . . . — Map (db m147774) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — Buckeye Station
One half mile north of this monument the home of Gen. Nathaniel Massie, founder of Manchester in 1791, first settlement in the Virginia Military District. Residence of Charles Willing Byrd, Secretary and Acting Governor, Northwest Territory and . . . — Map (db m45344) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 13-1 — Israel Donalson / Manchester Founders CemeteryMember of the First Constitutional Convention of Ohio / 1791-1888
Israel Donalson, member of the First Constitutional Convention of Ohio. In May 1800, Congress passed an act building the Northwest Territory, with the western division becoming Indiana Territory and the eastern called the Territory of the . . . — Map (db m136539) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 17-1 — Manchester
Manchester was founded in 1791 by Nathaniel Massie as a base to survey the land warrants of American Revolutionary War soldiers in the Virginia Military District. This bank of the Ohio River provided a secure site for the last civilian stockade . . . — Map (db m136536) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 11-1 — Manchester, OhioFirst Settlement, Virginia Military District
In 1784, the state of Virginia ceded all of its Northwest Territory to the federal government except for this tract to satisfy the land bounties owed to its Revolutionary War soldiers. The Virginia Military District extended from the Scioto River . . . — Map (db m136532) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 4-1 — Massie’s Station1791
Massie’s Station, built in 1791, was the fourth permanent settlement center in Ohio and the last stockade settlement built in Ohio. It provided protection from the Indians for Manchester’s settlers until 1794. Manchester was . . . — Map (db m136537) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 6-1 — Peebles
Platted in 1881 by Isaiah Custer on the junction of old Zane's Trace (1796-97) and the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881). Incorporated 1886. Named after John G. Peebles, Portsmouth, Ohio businessman. David Nixon constructed the first house in town . . . — Map (db m108198) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Rome — 8-1 — Rome(Stout Post Office)
A thriving riverport in the 19th Century founded in 1835 by William Stout. Elisha Stout, son of William, born and raised here, was one of the founding fathers of Omaha, Nebraska and Denver, Colorado. Former site of Adamsville which served as the . . . — Map (db m73138) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Seaman — 7-1 — Seaman
Founded 1887 by John Q. Roads on the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881) and the Old West Union Road (1807). Incorporated 1911. Named after Franklin Seaman who donated land to the railroad for a station. Home of Will Rogers, "The Black King of the . . . — Map (db m108200) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 1-1 — Bradford Tavern1804
The Bradford Tavern, West Union’s first inn built circa 1804, served the Maysville-Zanesville stagecoach route and such travelers as Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and Santa Anna. After 1840, it was continued as the Marlatt House and, later, the . . . — Map (db m135307) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 12-1 / 115 — First Presbyterian ChurchThomas Kirker — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
side A First Presbyterian Church The First Presbyterian Church of West Union, built in 1810, is known as the "Church of the Governors." Although the date is uncertain, the congregation was organized circa 1800 on Thomas Kirker's land on . . . — Map (db m122227) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 19-1 — Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer
A short distance south of Zane’s Trace, West Union was established by an act of the Ohio Legislature on April 13, 1803, as the seat of Adams County. West Union was surveyed in the spring of the following year, and became important stagecoach . . . — Map (db m135312) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — Zane TraceTreber Inn — Asahel Eddington —
Ohio’s first highway and mail route authorized by Congress 1796 marked and cleared in 1797 by Col. Ebenezer Zane a blazed trail, it became the route of the old stage line from Maysville to Wheeling used by noted statesmen to and from the . . . — Map (db m121836) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Winchester — 9-1 — Winchester, Ohio – 1815 / Morgan’s Raid – 1863
Winchester, Ohio. Founded November 8, 1815 by General Joseph Darlinton and named for his Virginia birthplace. Winchester was incorporated in 1864 and later became the eastern terminus of the Cincinnati and Eastern Railway (1877-1880). The . . . — Map (db m133890) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Cridersville — Mary Shafer
. . . — Map (db m100183) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Delphos — Miami and Erie Canal / DelphosAnthony Wayne Parkway
[West Side of Marker]: Miami and Erie Canal This marker is on the right-of-way of the old Miami and Erie Canal. Gov. DeWitt Clinton of New York broke ground for the canal on July 21, 1825 just below Middletown. Built in sections, the . . . — Map (db m30160) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Gomer — 1833 Gomer, OhioA Welsh Settlement
(red Welsh dragon logo) A village settled by Watkins, Roberts, and Nicholas families, bringing with them their Welsh traditions and establishing a community in honor of their native land. — Map (db m94555) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — 2-4 — McKee's Hill
Following the American Revolution, the British Crown sought to retain possession of the Ohio Country by sending chief British Indian Agent Alexander McKee and others to establish trading posts with Native Americans and resist American settlement. In . . . — Map (db m28686) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County, Ohio
Allen County was originally Indian territory not opened for settlement until 1817, and was formally surveyed in 1820. County government was organized in 1831 and with the improvement of roads, settlers came and established communities in every part . . . — Map (db m22930) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County’s First SettlementThe Sugar Creek Settlement
Here arriving from Logan County in 1824, Christopher Stark Wood estab- lished on Sugar Creek, the first settlement in what is now Allen County. His family and others joined him soon. Land was cleared; cabins were built. After only five years, . . . — Map (db m80276) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Circular Street
This street follows the course of an Old Indian Trail that joined the Tawa Indian town on the Auglaize River to the Black Swamp Trail near Lafayette. At one time, this corner was the junction of Three Early Roads, Wapakoneta Rd. - Main St. - . . . — Map (db m63077) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — East Cemetery
Former location of East Cemetery relocated in 1996 to Greenlawn Cemetery American Township.

In 1832 John East of Pickaway County came to Allen County with his wife, Elizabeth Huffer, and family Mary, Isaac, Abraham, Elizabeth, and Samuel. He . . . — Map (db m105378) HM

Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Founders and Patriots of Allen County, OhioOhio Sesquicentennial marker
In honor of those founders and patriots of the northwest territory who settled in Ohio and Allen County 1803 Ohio Sesquicentennial 1953 — Map (db m77680) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Historic House
Erected in 1852 of handsome bricks, this house, still occupied in 1976, is one of Lima's oldest landmarks. Situated on part of Outlot No. Two of the original city addition, the residence now fronts Central Ave., known as Tanner Ave., before 1897. . . . — Map (db m29884) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — James Daniel's Cabin1828
Built near this site, the cabin of this pioneer Allen County Commissioner was used for the first meetings of the Bath Township Trustees in 1829 and of the Allen County Commissioners June 6, 1831. Daniel's land adjoined the original 160 acre . . . — Map (db m29874) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Johnny Appleseed Tree
This tree has sprouted from the roots of a tree planted by John Chapman around 1830. — Map (db m78884) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Shawnee Council HouseHeadquarters of Shawnee Indian Reservation
Headquarters of the Shawnee Indian Reservation Shawnee Indian Council House located 250 feet east — Map (db m77682) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Shawnee Council House
In 1831, the Shawnee Indians built a 20 x 30 ft. hewed-log council house within their Hog Creek Settlement. It was located about 270 ft. east of this marker. After the Indians’ forced exodus west, it served as a temporary dwelling for the Griffith . . . — Map (db m100742) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Site Of Lima's First Cemeteryand burial place of Pvt. Elijah Stites 1758-1843
Site of Lima's First cemetery and burial place of Pvt. Elijah Stites 1758-1843 Minute Man of the Revolution who served in the Essex County Militia 1st Regiment New Jersey. — Map (db m93047) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Henry Boose Site
In 1959 this area was discovered to be an almost four thousand year old burial ground of the Glacial Kame People-named for the distinctive gravel elevations in which their dead were buried. The area was once a farm owned by Henry Boose, an early . . . — Map (db m78679) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Hog Creek SettlementWard Cemetery — Pioneers in Allen County, Ohio —
Ward Cemetery Burial Site in the fall of 1825, Samuel McCluer built a log cabin near this site and began the arduous task of clearing away the dense forest for farming. Not until the following summer did he learn from hunters, who . . . — Map (db m80275) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Site of the 86 Acre Homestead of Dye Sunderland
Site of the 86 acre homestead of Dye Sunderland who served in Captain Samuel McCormick's Company of The War of 1812 Here in 1820, on the site of the Indian town of Tawa the Sunderland family established the First Permanent Home in . . . — Map (db m91455) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville, Ohio — The Town of Hartford
Do you see the little cemetery to the east, high on the west bank of the Auglaize? It's all that remains of Hartford, thriving town in the 1830's with, it was expected, a bright future, since the new Miami and Erie Canal would one day be serving it- . . . — Map (db m80158) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Pioneer Memorial
To the heroic pioneers who braved the perils of the pathless wilderness to establish homes for their loved ones, and who laid the foundation of our commonwealth so broad and deep in this their new homeland that their descendants might freely enjoy . . . — Map (db m25832) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 2-3 — Frontier Violence During the War of 1812
Tensions between Native Americans and Euro-American settlers remained high on the Ohio frontier during the War of 1812. Grievances mounted rapidly following the removal of the Greentown Delawares to Piqua in the late summer of 1812. On September 10, . . . — Map (db m28800) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 8- 3 — Historic Mifflin
Side A Mifflin was founded in 1816. Originally known as Petersburg, the name was changed in 1827 in honor of the settlers that moved here from Mifflin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The first village jailhouse and crossroad . . . — Map (db m97113) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Perrysville — 4-3 — Greentown Delaware Village
A migration of Indians throughout Ohio began due to unstable conditions created by the American Revolution. The massacre of Christian Indians at the Moravian mission of Gnadenhutten in 1782 and Colonel William Crawford’s expedition against Wyandot . . . — Map (db m1340) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Peleg Sweet
This land was donated to Ashtabula Township by Peleg Sweet Early settler and Revolutionary Soldier It was used as a training ground for troops — Map (db m132292) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Point Park
Where you are standing on this high bluff, overlooking the entrance to Ashtabula Harbor is referred to as Point Park. For almost two centuries, people have traveled here to observe the business activity of Ashtabula Harbor. This vantage point of the . . . — Map (db m132374) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — The Western ReserveNortheast Boundary — One of a Series of Four —
The Western Reserve Northeast Boundary Marker of the Connecticut Western Reserve conveyed to the United States, September 11, 1786 erected by the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio July 3, 1966 Early Settlers . . . — Map (db m94754) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — 3-4 — Western Reserve
On July 4, 1796, Moses Cleaveland and his survey party landed at the mouth of Conneaut Creek on the southern shore of Lake Erie in what is today Conneaut, Ohio. The Connecticut Land Company, a private land speculation enterprise, had hired General . . . — Map (db m121508) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Albany — 2-5 — Albany / Enterprise Academy
Albany (Side A) The village of Albany was established in 1838 as a market center for the surrounding agricultural area, which saw its first white settlement in the early years of the nineteenth century. Education was always a major concern of . . . — Map (db m52872) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — Historic Amesville
Pioneers began arriving in Ames Township in 1797, making it one of the earliest settlements in the Northwest Territory. As early as 1804, the village purchased enough books to create a library. It is known today as the Coonskin Library because it . . . — Map (db m15537) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — 5-5 — Western Library Association1804 — The Coonskin Library —
In the years leading to Ohio statehood in 1803, Ames Township citizens decided to establish a stock-owned circulating library. Since cash was scarce during Ohio's frontier era, some citizens paid for their $2.50 shares by the sale of animal pelts, . . . — Map (db m15540) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Athens First Settlement - 1797
In the spring of 1797, Rufus Putnam sent eleven “substantial men ... possessing firmness of character, courage, and discretion” to found a settlement on the bank of the Hockhocking River. In 1800 the territorial legislature named the . . . — Map (db m42163) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — First Settlers in Athens County
In Memoriam Honoring the first settlers in Athens Co. from the New England States Alvan Bingman • Silas Bingman • Isaac Barker • William Harper • John Wilkins • Robert Linzee • Edmond Dorr • William Dorr • Barak Dorr • John Chandler . . . — Map (db m15545) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 4-5 — Ohio University
[Marker front] Manasseh Cutler, Rufus Putnam, Winthrop Sargeant, and Benjamin Tupper of the Ohio Company conceived Ohio University, which was encouraged by the Ordinance of 1787 and the Northwest Territorial Legislature in 1799, . . . — Map (db m15564) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Camp Site of Lord Dunmore1774
Rock weights were in drawbridge at Harper Street crossing of Hocking Canal. — Map (db m10892) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Daniel Nelson
This tablet is erected in honor of Daniel Nelson founder of Nelsonville who donated the ground for the Fort Street Cemetery the Public Square and this lot for School and Meeting House purposes This stone was a part of the doorway . . . — Map (db m37040) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Cridersville — 4-6 — Town Pond Reservoir Cridersville's Great Fire of 1918
Side A: The Village of Cridersville was founded in 1856. With the discovery of oil in 1885 the village prospered and grew quickly. Its business district developed along Main Street in the first block east of the railroad. The Town Pond . . . — Map (db m28668) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Kossuth — Bloody Bridge
During the canal years of the 1850's a rivalry grew between Bill Jones and Jack Billings for the love of Minnie Warren. This became hatred by Bill because Minnie chose Jack. On a fall night in 1854, returning from a party, Minnie and Jack were . . . — Map (db m80159) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — Francis J. Stallo's log cabin
Francis J. Stallo is the founder of Stallostown, which was later named Minster. This is the site where Stallo owned and built his double wide log cabin. He, Along with John Feldman, John Surham, Frederick Rohenkuhl, and three unknown others made the . . . — Map (db m102490) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — Minster's Origins
In 1832, 97 Germans met in Cincinnati to purchase a section of land for settlement. Designated leader Francis J. Stallo and six others set out from Cincinnati on foot, heading to the land office in Miami County.

They had $800 in silver coins, . . . — Map (db m100247) HM

Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — The Log Church
This was the site of the first Stallostown Mission Catholic Church in Minster, completed in 1835. The brick wall surrounding the gazebo is representative of the footprint, measuring approximately 40 feet wide and 60 feet long. It was 16 logs high . . . — Map (db m100144) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen
Lockkeeper's House The Lockkeeper's House was the residence of the Lockkeeper and his family. The Lockkeeper was on duty 24 hours a day, seven days per week, and was responsible for operating the lock as needed to move boats through the . . . — Map (db m22781) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Pioneer Cabin
This home has been restored from logs and the floor plan of the second oldest cabin in Mercer County. It is an example of a shelter the earliest settlers used in the 1830's. At the first sign of spring, a German immigrant family would move north . . . — Map (db m100741) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Knoxville — 7-6 — New Knoxville: The Ladbergen Kinship
Side 1 The history of New Knoxville provides one of the best examples of chain migration to America. After the Shawnee were removed from what would become Auglaize County, James Knox Lytle, cousin to James Knox Polk, purchased land in . . . — Map (db m92310) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Saint Marys — Saint Marys River
To the right is the Saint Marys River. This waterway was used by the Indians for generations as a route to hunting grounds in Kentucky. French, and later English traders traversed its course with trade goods in exchange for furs. James Girty, a . . . — Map (db m30258) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Johns — Blackhoof's Last Home
Blackhoof: Born in Florida about 1721. Arriving in this vicinity 1783 - Surnames: Cut-The-We-Ka-Saw or Catahecassa - Principal Chief of Shawnee Indian Nation - erected here in 1822. In a clearing of the vast forest a two story 18'x24' log house - . . . — Map (db m29631) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — C18 — Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty TownOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m29605) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 5-6 — Dayton and Michigan Railroad
Side A The Dayton and Michigan Railroad provided the single most important impetus to the growth and development of Wapakoneta. Although Wapakoneta had been platted in 1833, at the time of incorporation (1848), "the town was still without any . . . — Map (db m12406) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Plank RoadWapakoneta to St. Mary’s — Original Route 33 —
Site of St. Marys – Wapakoneta plank road built 1850- 1852 of Burr and White Oak timber 3 to 5 ft in diam. cut and milled at Moulton financed by Wapakoneta – St Marys businessmen who charged toll for profit and maintenance. Replaced . . . — Map (db m77612) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 8-6 — Sts. Peter and Paul ChurchMother Church of the Petersburg Parishes
Saints Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg (1835), was the mother church for St. Joseph, Wapakoneta; St. John the Evangelist, Fryburg; St. Lawrence, Rhine; and Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Botkins. All were founded by German-Catholic . . . — Map (db m119322) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Wapakoneta (Wapaughkonnetta)
Council House (Capital) of the Shawnee from c.1798 until their forced removal to Kansas in 1832 — Map (db m12413) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Wapakoneta Heritage Parkway
Plaque # 1 The Shawnee Indians were driven from the southern United States in the late 17th and early 18th centuries by white settlers and Catawba, Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations. the Shawnee were given permission by the Miamis and . . . — Map (db m86526) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bridgeport — 4-7 — Historic Bridgeport
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The . . . — Map (db m515) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — Martins Ferry Pioneers
. . . — Map (db m28447) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — 3-7 — Walnut Grove Cemetery
The Walnut Grove Cemetery is the burial place of members of the Zane and Martin families. Their graves lie within the brick enclosure. The cemetery is also the resting-place of many early Martins Ferry residents, including veterans of the . . . — Map (db m28444) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Powhatan Point — 13-7 — Powhatan Point
First surveyed in 1849, Powhatan Point was laid out by Franklin Knox. The "point" is the confluence of Captina Creek and the Ohio River. The small but thriving river and farming community served York Township and the rich Captina Valley as a . . . — Map (db m78499) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Decatur — 5-8 — Historic Decatur / A. N. Marquis and Who’s Who
Historic Decatur

Originally called St. Clairsville and platted in 1801, Decatur was named for early 19th century naval hero Stephen Decatur. It is among the oldest villages in Brown County, which before 1817 was a part of Adams County. . . . — Map (db m121885) HM

Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 2-8 — Dixon-Washburn Log House
This house originally stood at Logan’s Gap, Union Township. By tradition, it was constructed in 1783 by Indian scouts William Dixon and Cornelius Washburn who became residents of Brown County. Dixon lived in this house until 1800. — Map (db m135937) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 11-8 — Gist SettlementScott Township
Through the terms of his will, absentee British landowner Samuel Gist freed his 350 slaves in Virginia. Gist (c.1723-1815) intended that these freed people would remain on the land and receive instruction in Christianity and that schools . . . — Map (db m136037) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — The Washburn-Dixon Log House
Constructed in 1793 by William Dixon and Cornelius Washburn, Indian scouts who helped to clear for settlement the area that became Brown County. — Map (db m135967) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Liberty MonumentThe Men Who Wrought For Liberty and The Men Who Fought For Liberty
(west-facing tablet) The men who wrought for Liberty were the forerunners of the Abolition Movement culminating in the Civil War. • They were the intermediaries between the anti-slavery men of the American Revolution and the anti-slavery . . . — Map (db m135396) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 8-8 — Ripley and the Ohio River
A part of the Virginia Military District, Ripley was founded in 1812 by Colonel James Poage, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Originally named Staunton, after Poage’s home town in Virginia, the village comprised 1,000 acres along the Ohio river. . . . — Map (db m135427) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Russellville — B — Logan's Crossing 1796 Directional MarkerOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail $50 Fine or 10 days imprison- ment or both for defacing this marker Ohio State General Code Section 12489 — Map (db m137356) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Russellville — Russell ShawPioneer and Patriot
. . . — Map (db m122128) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Fairfield — 16-9 — Elisha Morgan Farm Mansion
Elisha Morgan purchased 48.6 acres in Fairfield Township, part of the Symmes Purchase, in 1817. The Farm Mansion was built shortly after he settled the land. The house incorporates two prevalent architectural styles in southwest Ohio in the . . . — Map (db m116553) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — A Pioneer Family
The Stewart family lived constantly in Butler County for over 200 years. 1802 to Present Gift to City of Hamilton by: John Antenen Stewart, M.D. Marian Vail Stewart, M.T. September 1, 2002 — Map (db m73637) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Beckett Homesite
On this site stood a square two-story brick farmhouse occupied by Wiiliam Bebb and built in 1835. After he was elected nineteenth Governor of Ohio, William Bebb sold his house in 1848 to William Beckett, founder of Beckett Paper Company, who . . . — Map (db m116670) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 2-9 — Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873Historic Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery
William Holmes McGuffey, author of the Eclectic Series of Readers, was ordained a Presbyterian minister in a log meeting house on this site in 1829. The ordination was performed by Robert Bishop, President of Miami University, and other ministers . . . — Map (db m107745) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 31-9 — Bunker Hill / Dog Town
Bunker Hill The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major business here. A Post Office was . . . — Map (db m107801) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Earliest Industry
Mills were essential in the settlers' struggle to convert their land from a debt to an asset. Financial survival depended on access to grist mills, saw mills and carding mills - the trading complexes and community centers on the Ohio frontier. . . . — Map (db m73595) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Flatboats and Early Trade
Because water was the most efficient way to transport goods, most early Ohio roads led to a navigable stream, such as the Great Miami River. Through the 1820s, much of Butler County's abundant agriculture output found its way to market on . . . — Map (db m73593) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Flood & Recovery
March 25, 1913, a record Great Miami River flood hit Hamilton, claiming more than 200 lives, leaving about 10,000 homeless and causing more than $10 million in property damage. Local survivors helped create the Miami Conservancy District - a . . . — Map (db m73594) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton
Immortalized by William Dean Howells in his book "A Boy's Town" — Map (db m73627) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton Hydraulic
The privately developed Hamilton Hydraulic opened Jan. 27, 1845, providing cheap, reliable water power and starting Hamilton's era of industrial growth and diversification. Water was diverted into the hydraulic canal system from the Great Miami . . . — Map (db m73598) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 37-9 — Lane Public Library / Clark Lane
Side A

Clark Lane built this library in 1866 and donated it to the people of Hamilton two years later. The 1913 Great Miami River flood catastrophe damaged much of the building and many of its books and records. The refurbished library . . . — Map (db m122413) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Old Log Building
This log building, which was erected while this part of the country was still a wilderness, is a silent tribute to the courageous and hardy Americans who preceded you who read this. This tribute symbolizes the strength and character of which we are . . . — Map (db m30660) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 10-9 — Rossville Historic District
Rossville was settled in April 1801 shortly after the U.S. Government initiated land sales west of the Great Miami River. Its original proprietors--John Sutherland, Henry Brown, Jacob Burnet, James Smith and William Ruffin--named the town in honor . . . — Map (db m28790) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Site of Fort Hamilton
Fort Hamilton was completed Sept. 30, 1791, and occupied by the U. S. Army commanded by Gen. Arthur St. Clair. The supply base was the first in a chain of outposts north of Cincinnati (Fort Washington) in the Northwest Territory. The log . . . — Map (db m73600) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Symmes MonumentHollow Earth Theory
- “I declare the earth is hollow and habitable within,” said John Cleves Symmes in summarizing his “Theory of Concentric Spheres and Solar Voids” to a doubting scientific world in the early 1820’s. His theory is commemorated . . . — Map (db m116622) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The High-Main Street Bridge
. . . — Map (db m73624) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Old Well
of the original Fort Hamilton was located 31 feet west of this marker In memory of Carl E. Margedant — Map (db m30662) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Middletown — Ohio CanalsPort Middletown Plaza
Canals were built in Ohio to provide a better way to transport goods to the eastern markets. Two major canals were built connecting the Ohio River to Lake Erie - the Ohio Erie & [sic Ohio & Erie] Canal running from Portsmouth to Cleveland and the . . . — Map (db m30375) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Middletown — Underground Railroad Route1830 - 1860
Verity Pkw. once Miami-Erie Canal an Underground Railroad route 1830 - 1860 Those traveling along Underground Railroad found safe stations in N. Main St. homes of African-Americans listed on other side Rice • Hawkins • Colston . . . — Map (db m29667) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Miltonville — Bambo Harris Grist Mill
In c1795 Bambo Harris a freed black slave built and operated the first Water Driven gristmill in the area on Elk Creek. For fifty years his Millstones ground wheat and corn. A member of the Prairie Baptist Church, he was highly respected in the . . . — Map (db m28779) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Miltonville — 5-9 — Village of Miltonville
The village of Miltonville, located along the banks of Elk Creek, was platted in 1816 by George Bennett, Theophilus Eaglesfield, and Richard V. V. Crane. The creek served two grist mills, one built around 1804 and operated by a free black, Bambo . . . — Map (db m28776) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Okeana — 26-9 — 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County
Side A: 1858 Morgan Township House On April 20, 1857, the trustees of Morgan Township met in Okeana to obtain a lot for the township house. From a quarter mill tax levy, $850 was budgeted for a house and lot. Money expended on the project . . . — Map (db m24000) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Okeana — 1-31 — Birthplace of William BebbGovernor of Ohio — 1846-1848 —
Edward Bebb, father of William Bebb and first Welshman to settle in Paddy's Run, Morgan Township, Butler County purchased this cabin in 1801. Originally the cabin stood four miles southeast of this site on the Dry Fork of the Whitewater River. It . . . — Map (db m24001) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 33-9 — Bunker Hill Universalist Church/Bunker Hill Cemetery
(side A) Bunker Hill Universalist Church The Bunker Hill Society was organized about 1845 and fellowshipped in 1854. A frame meeting house, capable of seating 300, was dedicated in 1855. Thirty people united with the church . . . — Map (db m107789) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 34- 9 — Indian Creek Baptist ChurchThe Indian Creek Pioneer Burial Ground
Side A The Indian Creek Regular Baptist Church was established in 1810 as an arm of the Little Cedar Creek Church of Brookville, Indiana. The congregation purchased three acres of land for a burial ground and church and built a log structure . . . — Map (db m120291) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 15-9 — Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth"The Bee-Man of Oxford"
Side A: Langstroth Cottage Reverend Lorenzo Langstroth, renowned as "The Father of American Beekeeping," lived in this simple two-story, eight-room house with his wife, Anne, and their three children from 1858 to 1887. Unchanged externally, the . . . — Map (db m24009) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 24- 9 — Stillwell’s Corners
side A A cemetery was established on the site in 1811 and became the final resting place for many of the area's early pioneer families. The Hanover Township Trustees obtained title to the land in 1823 from John and Anna Farnsworth, and it . . . — Map (db m97814) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — The Act of 17941732- 1932
(bust of Washington)

The Act of 1794

In the name of the United States of America: It is hereby declared that one complete township or tract of land, of six miles square, to be located with the approbation of the governor, for . . . — Map (db m116659) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 13-9 — The DeWitt Family / The DeWitt Log Homestead
Side A: The DeWitt Family Zachariah Price DeWitt was born of a Dutch family in New Jersey in 1768. With brothers Jacob and Peter, he migrated to Kentucky where, in 1790, he married Elizabeth Teets, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1774. By . . . — Map (db m24064) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 27-9 — The Doty Settlement / The Pioneer Farmstead
Side A: The Doty Settlement As Oxford Township was developing in the mid-1800s, a cluster of farmsteads near its northern border was designated the "Doty Settlement." As was the custom, the community took its name from a prominent family in . . . — Map (db m24015) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — The Legend of the Baby in the Well
This original dug well relates to one of the several fascinating legends of Zachariah and Elizabeth DeWitt. As reported by Ralph McGinnis in The History of Oxford, Ohio, from the Earliest Days to the Present, Zachariah heard Elizabeth's . . . — Map (db m24072) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 23-9 — The Restoration Movement / Doty Settlement Cemetery
Side A: The Restoration Movement In the early years of the nineteenth century, a religious unrest known as the Second Great Awakening spread across much of the American frontier. Among the most influential of the evolving religious . . . — Map (db m24051) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Shandon — 17-9 — Paddy's Run
The foundation for the first Welsh settlement in Ohio was laid on June 29, 1801, when William and Morgan Gwilym purchased land in what is now Morgan Township at the Cincinnati Land Office. The Welsh, who settled in Pennsylvania beginning in the late . . . — Map (db m23991) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Trenton — Founder's Park
Site of the home of Trenton's founder, Michael Pearce, and his wife, Phebe Squier Pearce. The family migrated from New Jersey in 1801, purchased 1,500 acres, and settled in this location. Michael Pearce and David Enyeart platted the village of 33 . . . — Map (db m29681) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Trenton — 18-9 — The Village of Trenton / The Elk Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery
Side A: The Village of Trenton Platted 1816. Incorporated as Village 1895. Became a city 1971 Trenton's founder, Michael Pearce, came to the area in 1801. The original village of 33 lots was named Bloomfield. When the post office was . . . — Map (db m28792) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Woodsdale — 6-9 — Chrisholm
This farm, Chrisholm (German for home farm of Christian Augspurger), was established in 1830 by Christian Augspurger (1782-1848), leader of the Amish Mennonite settlement in Butler County. The Amish selected this area because of rich, fertile . . . — Map (db m122421) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Woodsdale — The Amish Mennonite Settlement
. . . — Map (db m122555) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Woodsdale — OHS 6- 9 — Woodsdale
This hamlet, located one mile southwest from here, was never platted, but was named after William Woods, president of the three-story brick Woodsdale paper mill constructed in 1867. Flanking the mill were the company office and store and several . . . — Map (db m122420) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Cable — Jacob and Martha Boggs Johnson1805- 1905 — Century Farm, from Indian Cabin —
This memorial is in memory of Jacob and Martha Boggs Johnson, and marks the spot where the Indian cabin stood Into which they moved April 1. 1805. With other pioneers they came as the Indians departed and worthily bore their part in subduing . . . — Map (db m127297) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Crayon — Richard StanhopeGeneral George Washington’s Valet
(bronze plaque) Richard Stanhope (Stanup) Free black man and landowner Settler in Madison County, Ohio on Virginia Military land resident of Concord Township Champaign County, Ohio Died September 1862 Buried in Concord . . . — Map (db m106683) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 25-11 — Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church
The Mechanicsburg United Methodist congregation was founded in the early nineteenth century and met first in open-air camp meetings before moving into a small log school building. In 1820 the congregation built a wood framed church on East Sandusky . . . — Map (db m13730) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 19-11 — Second Baptist Church
Side A: This site has long served the religious, education, and public interests of the residents of Mechanicsburg. A local Methodist congregation built its first church here in 1820, and the townspeople also used the structure as its . . . — Map (db m13731) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 1-11 — Harmony Lodge No. 8 Free and Accepted Masons
A group of Freemasons, inspired by the concepts of a new country, of Freedom with Responsibility, Brotherly Love, and Truth, formed Harmony Lodge near this site in 1809, the first Masonic lodge in western Ohio. Meetings were held in the log court . . . — Map (db m13820) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 3-11 — In Memory of Simon Kenton
Simon Kenton who is buried here. During the Revolutionary War he frequently served as scout under George Rogers Clark and later praised Clark for his role in saving the Kentucky settlements. Kenton's Indian captivity of 1778-79 acquainted him with . . . — Map (db m34088) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 13-11 — John Anderson Ward Farmstead / John Quincy Adams Ward & Edgar Melville Ward
Side A: John Anderson Ward Farmstead John Anderson Ward had this Federal style house constructed from 1823-1825 on land inherited from his father, Urbana's founder Colonel William Ward. The Colonel's will stipulated that a local mason . . . — Map (db m13822) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 34- 11 — War Council of 1812Old Grave Yard
side A- War Council of 1812 To confirm that the Treaty of Greenville would be upheld, Ohio Governor Return J. Meigs called a council with Native Americans June 6-9, 1812. He sought approval to cross native land when marching to Canada and . . . — Map (db m81636) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 17- 11 — William OwenFirst Settler in Mad River Township, Champaign County, Ohio
Virginia native William Owen, 1769-1821, is credited with being the first American to settle in Mad River Township, Champaign County sometime between 1797-1799. He and his family built a cabin in the northeast quarter of Section 15 directly west . . . — Map (db m86157) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), West Liberty — 10-11 — Mt. Tabor Church / Mt. Tabor Cemetery
Mt. Tabor Church Side A: The first Mt. Tabor Church, a log meetinghouse, was erected on this site in 1816. It stood on land originally selected by Griffith and Martha Evans for a graveyard at the death of their daughter circa 1812. Deeds show . . . — Map (db m13769) HM
Ohio (Clark County), New Carlisle — 183 — Honey Creek Presbyterian Historical MarkerRegistered Site #183 — Current Location of Historical Congregation —
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site #183 registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society Philadelphia, Pa. — Map (db m121348) HM
Ohio (Clark County), New Carlisle — John Paul, First White Settler in Clark County, OhioAlso, First Casualty
In memory of John Paul first white settler in Clark County killed by Indians 1793 — Map (db m80677) HM
Ohio (Clark County), South Vienna — Buena Vista TavernThe Historic National Road in Ohio — Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century Travel Accommodations —
Built in 1836, the Buena Vista Tavern operated as an inn from 1849 to 1856, when it became a private residence. In 1930, it returned to public life as a tourist camp with cabins or cottages located behind the old inn. The Buena Vista Tavern is . . . — Map (db m86729) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 75th Anniversary of the Madonna of the Trail Statue
The Ohio Society DAR on July 4, 2003, placed this Rededication Marker to Commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Madonna of the Trail Statue. The Statue has been restored through the efforts of: • Ohio Society Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m108425) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Clark County Revolutionary War Memorial
In memory of the men buried in Clark County who fought in the American Revolution 1775 - 1783 Lt. John Bancroft • Jacob Ellsworth William McIntire • Frederick Brown Samuel Lippincott Sr. • James Kelly Corneilus Toland • Isaac . . . — Map (db m28796) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Esplanade/Fountain Square
Since 1826, the Esplanade has been the traditional center of Springfield and Clark County. The National Road passed within one block of “Market Square” as it was then called. Three city halls, several hotels, train stations, and numerous . . . — Map (db m13316) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — First Tavern in Springfield1801-1924
This Marks the Site of The First Tavern in Springfield Near Which In 1808 A Permanent Peace Treaty Was Made By Simon Kenton and Others With the Indians — Map (db m127663) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — James Demint Cabin1799 - 1925
One hundred feet south of this spot, James Demint, the founder of Springfield, built the first cabin in the city. In 1803 he completed the first plat of the city. — Map (db m83855) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — James Leffel1806 - 1866

Springfield's "first inventor", born in Virginia, brings a genius previously unparalleled in the history of our community. His passion for the use of the abundant water supply in the area accelerates Springfield into the early beginnings of the . . . — Map (db m81932) HM

Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Jeremiah Warder and Ann Aston Warder1780 - 1849 and 1781 - 1871

Jeremiah and his wife Ann, wealthy Quakers from Philadelphia, arrive in Springfield in 1830 to claim extensive acreage inherited from his late father’s estate. That same year, he purchases from the estate the village of Lagonda consisting of . . . — Map (db m81890) HM

Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — John Ludlow1810 - 1883

Affectionately called by some, “The Father of Ferncliff Cemetery”, John Ludlow is a member of an early pioneer family in Clark County, eventually becoming a well-known pharmacist. In 1851, he is elected as a director of the . . . — Map (db m81896) HM

Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Madonna of the Trail
In 1912, Congress appropriated funds for a new highway, the National Old Trails Road, or Ocean-to-Ocean Highway. The route crossed 12 states from Maryland to California following much of the National Road and the Santa Fe Trail. To celebrate the . . . — Map (db m45529) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Madonna of the Trail
Text on the Front (South) Side of Monument: Madonna of the Trail N S D A R Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days Text on the Left (West) Side of Monument: The National Road Completed by . . . — Map (db m108458)
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 4-12 — Pennsylvania House / The National Road
Pennsylvania House David Snively built the Federal-style Pennsylvania House in 1839 along the newly constructed National Road. This tavern and inn was an important stopover for livestock drovers and pioneers traveling by foot, on horseback, or . . . — Map (db m13278) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 6-12 — Ridgewood in the Country Club District
The Ridgewood neighborhood, platted in 1914, was one of the first fully planned and restricted suburbs in the United States. Its innovative developer, Springfield native Harry S. Kissell, was among a small group of nationally acclaimed real . . . — Map (db m117567) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Simon Kenton
Famed Indian fighter, associate of Daniel Boone and George Rogers Clark, soldier of the Revolution and the War of 1812 - Leading settler of the Mad River Valley, built his first home in Ohio a few hundred feet east of this spot. — Map (db m44113) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Site of Simon Kenton's First Log Cabin Home in Ohio
Site of Simon Kenton's first log cabin home in Ohio - Built beside the old war trail over which he was led into captivity - Scene of his killing the last Indian slain in combat in Clark County — Map (db m44177) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Springfield City Hall Bell
This bell from Springfield's first City Hall, located on this site in 1848, is placed here to honor the school children of Springfield and Clark County who participated in the Esplanade/Fountain Square Project. Time capsule encased beneath this . . . — Map (db m13356) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — The Keifer Cabin SitePioneer Archeological Work — At George Rogers Clark State Park/ Peckuwe Battle Field —
You are standing on the site of a cabin built by John Keifer in 1824. John Keifer (1802- 1863) and his wife Elizabeth Donnel (1805- 1865), daughter of surveyor Jonathan Donnel, resided here until 1830. That year the family moved to another . . . — Map (db m83854) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Batavia — One-Room SchoolhousesLucy Run
The nearby Lucy Run School (1885) is an example of the one-room schoolhouses that served rural Clermont County from 1800 to 1930. Before an Ohio law assessing taxes for public schools was passed in 1825, the first schools were by . . . — Map (db m99693) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Bethel — 2-13 — Early Settlers Burial Ground
Resting here among other pioneers are: Obed Denham, native of Plainfield, New Jersey, donor of this plot, founder of Bethel in 1798, and pioneer abolitionist; Thomas Morris, antislavery leader, veteran state legislator, U.S. senator . . . — Map (db m99989) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Chapel- Mt. Moriah

United Methodist Church. Organized in 1835 as the Methodist Protestant Church of Tobasco. Meetings were held in a schoolhouse until 1842, when the church erected this small brick . . . — Map (db m99694) HM

Ohio (Clermont County), Georgetown — 7-13 — Utopia
Utopia was founded in 1844 by followers of French philosopher Charles Fourier (1772-1837). Fourierism, based on utopian socialism and the idea of equal sharing of investments in money and labor, reached peak popularity in the United States about . . . — Map (db m99948) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — The Ramsey/Paxton Cemetery
Col. Thomas Paxton (1739-1813) served with General George Washington at Valley Forge in 1777 and with General Anthony Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. This was the last major fight against the Indians before Ohio became a state in . . . — Map (db m99423) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — White PillarsHome of Col. Thomas Paxton
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker White Pillars circa 1840 Lt. Col. Thomas Paxton, 1736- 1813, settled this land in 1795 and is buried in the Paxton- Ramsey cemetery. This Greek Revival house was designed by John Ramsey. . . . — Map (db m99424) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford
Home of first Methodist class in Northwest Territory, 1797 — Map (db m133625) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — The Leming House
Miami Township, established 1801, was one of five original townships in Clermont County. Among early settlers in Miami Township were the Leming family of New Jersey. In 1806, four Leming brothers—Ezekiel, John, Gabriel, and . . . — Map (db m99542) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Neville — Neville – 1812Clermont County — Bicentennial Marker —
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Neville – 1812 The town is situated in the first survey, No, 388, made in the Virginia Military District of Ohio. Nov. 13, 1787, John Obannon surveyed a tract of 1,400 acres for Col. John . . . — Map (db m99890) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Founding of New Richmond
Jacob Light (1756 – 1831) platted the Village of New Richmond in 1814 on 85 acres he had bought in 1804. His village streets ran at right angles to the Ohio River.

Thomas Ashburn (1769 – 1826) bought 875 acres from William . . . — Map (db m99717) HM

Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 9-13 — Henry Clark Corbin / Colclazer Run
Henry Clark Corbin Henry Clark Corbin was born September 15, 1842 and reared here on the family farm along Colclazer Run near Laurel. He attended public school and the private Parker Academy in nearby Clermontville. After teaching school and . . . — Map (db m99622) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Spann
An early crossroads settlement instrumental in the development of Pierce Township. Located at Dutch Creek and Ten Mile Road. The hamlet consisted of a community water well, a general store / post office (1860) and the Ten Mile Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m99698) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Thomas AshburnFounder of Susanna
In memory of Thomas Ashburn born – Bolton, England, July 11, 1769 died – New Richmond, Feb. 15, 1828 founder of Susanna in 1816 and donor of this riverside promenade and other parks and, sites to be used, forever, for worship, . . . — Map (db m99766) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Owensville — Owensville Village Hall
The Owensville Village Hall was built as a Methodist Episcopal in 1859 and later housed a Church of Christ. The village purchased the building in 1988 and utilizes it as village hall. On July 14, 1863, Confederate States General John Hunt Morgan’s . . . — Map (db m95616) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Dairy House at Harmony Hill
Built 1800- 1802 at the homestead of Maj. General William Lytle by John Charles stone mason The restoration of Harmony Hill Dairy House is dedicated to the memory of the “Father of Clermont County”, Major General William . . . — Map (db m95612) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Grassy Run Battlefield
In these fields on the southwest side of the east Fork of the Little Miami River, opposite the mouth of Grassy Run, was fought the Battle of Grassy Run April 10, 1792. Simon Kenton led a group of frontiersmen from Limestone (Maysville), KY . . . — Map (db m95461) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Hartman Log Cabin
Dedicated to Christopher Hartman who emigrated from Germany in 1753 fought in the American Revolution and settled in Clermont County in 1801; to his grandson John Kirby Hartman, who purchased this site in 1838; and to their relatives and . . . — Map (db m99999) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — In Recognition of 200 Years of Freedom and DedicationWilliamsburg, Ohio Bicentennial — 1796-1996 —
This monument is dedicated to the pioneers who early in the year 1796 braved many dangers and suffered numerous hardships in order to establish the small settlement of Lytlestown, later to be named Williamsburgh, along the banks of the East Fork of . . . — Map (db m108602) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Last Indian Battle
Last Indian Battle fought March 16, 1792 on the south bank of East Fork Creek near the mouth of Grassy Run Clermont County Tecumseh Shawnee Chjef, known as “Blazing Star”, and Simon Kenton, a scout, were engaged in a sharp . . . — Map (db m95462) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Stepping StonePioneer Artifact at Historic Site
This is the stepping stone from Revolutionary War veteran Adam Fisher’s log cabin. After the war he and his family came to Kentucky and then about 1799 moved across the Ohio River to settle between Little Indian Creek and what is now route 743 . . . — Map (db m95614) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Wlliamsburg — Harmony Hill 1800Home of Major General William Lytle
Homestead of Major General William Lytle, known as the “Father of Clermont County” for his many contributions to the formation and settlement of the county. A surveyor by profession, Lytle surveyed and acquired many acres of land in . . . — Map (db m95611) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Blanchester — 2-14 — Garrison Corner Community
Side A Descendants of Lemuel Garrison Sr., a Revolutionary War soldier, were among the first Europeans to own and settle land at Garrison Corner (intersection of State Route 123 and Shawnee Trace) . Garrison Cemetery burials took place from . . . — Map (db m121044) HM WM
Ohio (Clinton County), Chester Township — 12-14 — Jonah’s Run Baptist Church / Underwood Farms Rural Historic District
Jonah’s Run Baptist Church. The comingling of faiths in an area settled predominantly by Quakers helps explain the origins of Jonah’s Run Baptist Church. Ministered to by a Baptist preacher, the children and neighbors of Daniel Collett . . . — Map (db m141498) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — 1-14 — Deserted Camp
Near this site in October 1786 General Benjamin Logan with an army of 700 Kentucky volunteers camped on their way to destroy seven Indian towns in the Mad River Valley. During the night a renegade deserted the camp to warn the Indians. The army . . . — Map (db m121033) HM WM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — 5-14 — Wilmington College
The 19th century saw a great migration of Quakers from the Carolinas and from eastern Ohio to southwestern Ohio. Attracted by rich soil and abundance of fresh water and springs, Quakers became the dominant religious group in the region. Clinton . . . — Map (db m27837) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Columbiana — 8-15 — Log House Museum
Joshua Dixon selected this site in 1805 as the center for Columbiana. The first local post office, established at this museum location in 1809, pioneered free mail delivery in 1837. The museum, an early log home in the village, was moved here . . . — Map (db m268) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Columbiana — Site of Hanna Log Cabin
Built near this spring in 1810 by Benjamin and Rachael Dixon Hanna whose family were first settlers in this community in 1801 and 1802. They were the grandparents of Marcus Alonzo Hanna United States Senator from 1897 to 1904 — Map (db m48140) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 18-15 — Land Ordinance of 1785 / The Seven Ranges
Side A:Land Ordinance of 1785In April 1784, the Continental Congress adopted the Report of Government for the Western Territory, a broad plan drafted primarily by Thomas Jefferson for organizing the United States' new western lands . . . — Map (db m44156) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 16-15 — Ohio's Gateway
Fawcettstown, later to become East Liverpool, marked the first Ohio community to be encountered by early river travelers as they headed toward new challenges and new lives in the expanding nation. Indian canoes, flatboats, and steamboats carried . . . — Map (db m49713) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Palestine — 20-15 — Log House Museum
Side A This circa 1840s log house, which now serves as a museum and home to the East Palestine Historical Society, was originally located at the corner of West Main and Walnut Streets. Some of its most notable and earliest residents were Dr. . . . — Map (db m111189) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — St. Philip Nerisince 1817 — “The Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio” —
St. Philip Neri Parish Est. 1817 Church 1849 Bell Tower 1899 150th Anniversary 1999 — Map (db m118724) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — The Old Town PumpHanoverton Pump
The Old Town Pump the pump, located on Canal St. just west of the Mansion Hotel, was the first public well in Hanover. it was dug in 1845

A grateful community thanks John Wargo Walt Watson Joe Davis John Simonds for this symbol of our . . . — Map (db m119582) HM

Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Broadhead Massacre
Around the spring nearby, was perpetrated, on April 20, 1781, the massacre of 20 Indians by Col. Daniel Broadhead's army of 300. This slaying was committed following destruction, the same day, of the two villages, Goschachgunk, (Coshocton) and . . . — Map (db m14707) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — William’s Tavern
On this site stood the Tavern of Charles "King Charley" Williams, first permanent white settler in Coshocton County. A native of Maryland, and born in 1764, Williams came here in 1801. He died in 1840. The dominant figure of his generation, he was . . . — Map (db m344) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Caldersburgh Pearl -2001
The Caldersburgh Pearl was dedicated in 2001 as a full-sized replica of a three-cabin canal freighter (65' x 14'). The name Caldersburgh Pearl has special significance to Roscoe's past. Caldersburgh was the name of the original community (early . . . — Map (db m27359) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Daniel Boyd House - c.1825
This house was built c.1825 by Daniel Boyd, a weaver. Some time in the 1830s, and in the face of financial difficulties, Daniel and Jane Boyd deeded the house to the Methodist Episcopal Church to be the church parsonage. Originally located in . . . — Map (db m27368) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833
From 1833-1841 this property was owned by Joseph Kerr Johnson, father of John and David Johnson of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum and no relation to Maro Johnson. Built c.1833-1838, the house and property were purchased by Maro Johnson and John . . . — Map (db m27369) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842
In 1842, Maro Johnson purchased a portion of lot #2. The deed read that Johnson had to have the property paid for and a respectable building erected on it within one year. Those terms were met. The building became Dr. Johnson's office. — Map (db m27382) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — George LeRetilley House - 1853
George LeRetilley, a Roscoe merchant and a son of James LeRetilley Sr, built this as his home in 1853. It remains a private residence. — Map (db m25621) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — James LeRetilley Building - 1847
James LeRetilley Sr. purchased the building in 1849, a year before his death. In 1825, he moved to Caldersburgh from Muskingum County and opened a general store. He was the first postmaster in Caldersburgh (1826). After the canal opened, LeRetilley . . . — Map (db m27381) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — James Taylor House (Reconstructed) - 1971
James Taylor, owner of a Coshocton woolen mill, built a house and possibly the fruit cellar on this lot in 1826. Taylor moved to California in 1840. Subsequent owners include David Frew, a miller, farmer, and a postmaster, and Daniel Rose, a . . . — Map (db m27383) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Old Warehouse400 Whitewoman Street North
Built in 1831, this “Old Warehouse” was used to store large quantities of grain, hides, wool and produce. There was a dry goods store on the upper level. Known as the “Mill Store” in the 1830's, this was the natural place . . . — Map (db m27379) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — 6-16 — KoquechagachtonChief White Eyes
In the early 1770s, Chief White Eyes (Koquechagachton) of the Delaware tribe founded White Eyes Town approximately two miles southeast of this marker on a plain near present day West Lafayette. A friend of the Moravian leader David Zeisberger, White . . . — Map (db m15175) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — Old Stone Fort
Ohio Society National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century Old Stone Fort believed to have been built by De’Iberville, LaSalle’s successor, who built French forts in the Mississippi Valley, 1679 to 1689. He located one northeast . . . — Map (db m89216) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Chatfield — 1-17 — Village of Chatfield
For centuries this area was used by Indian tribes as a hunting ground. Vast swamp forests of elm, ash, beech, pin oak, and maple lay on all sides. To the east, a large cranberry bog was covered by water nost of the year. Indian hunting camps on . . . — Map (db m119771) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), New Washington — 7/8- 17 — The Village of New Washington / The New Washington Band
The Village of New Washington Nicknamed "Dutchtown" for the many German families that settled in this area, New Washington was platted in 1833 by George Washington Meyers, who arrived in Cranberry Township in 1826. Prominent Austrian . . . — Map (db m94708) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Bay Village — 28-18 — Calhoon Memorial Park
Joseph Calhoon brought his family from Vergennes, Vermont, to Dover Township in 1810, and they established themselves as the first permanent settlers in what would become Bay Village, Ohio. The Calhoon house, called Rose Hill, was built in 1818 and . . . — Map (db m134288) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Bedford — 84-18 — Bedford Historic Business District
The town of Bedford was settled in 1837. Early residents, Hezekiah and Clarissa Dunham donated the land that serves as Bedford Public Square. The Dunhams built one of the area's first homes in 1852, which stands at 729 Broadway with the letters H & . . . — Map (db m137162) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 16-18 — Berea Sandstone Quarries
For more than ninety years, this area was the heart and soul of Berea's sandstone quarries. In the early 1830s, John Baldwin discovered that the area's sandstone deposits made superb grindstones and building stones. in the 1840s, thriving sandstone . . . — Map (db m5516) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 20-18 — The Berea Triangle
The Triangle, one of the most historic places in Berea, has been the center of the city’s civic life since the mid-19th century. Just beneath lie the solid layers of the famous Berea Sandstone that brought prosperity to Berea durign its early years. . . . — Map (db m53428) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Broadview Heights — 92-18 — Brecksville Township’s First Settler
In 1811, Colonel John Breck sent Seth Paine to survey a new township of the Western Reserve. Travelling from Massachusetts, the Paine family journeyed by wagon pulled by a team of oxen, a trip that took them forty-two days. For his . . . — Map (db m137187) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Benjamin Rose1828-1908
Briton, industrialist and philanthropist who came to Cleveland in 1848. Formed the Cleveland Provision Company in 1875, Cleveland's largest meat packer. Pioneered meat shipping using refrigerated cars. Built the Rose Building, E. 9th and Prospect, . . . — Map (db m12116) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Broadway / Slavic Village
North and South Broadway were originally part of Newburgh Township, organized in 1814 as one of the earliest settlements in Cuyahoga County. The contruction of the Ohio & Erie Canal and later railroads led to industrial and commercial growth, . . . — Map (db m21073) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 33-18 — Cataract Falls
Formed by erosion of Cleveland shale and cascading 48 feet, making it the tallest waterfall in the county, the Cataract Falls of Mill Creek powered the gristmill and sawmill built by William Wheeler Williams and Major Wyatt in 1799. The mills, . . . — Map (db m21071) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 17-18 — Dunham Tavern
Dunham Tavern is the oldest building still standing on its original site in the City of Cleveland. Once a stagecoach stop on the old Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit road (modern Euclid Avenue), the tavern dates from 1824. The structure was built by Rufus . . . — Map (db m11818) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Honoring the Memory of O.P. and M.J. Van Sweringen
Whose vision, courage, and deep appreciation of building well for tomorrow brought about the creation of Shaker Heights in 1911 and the development of Shaker Square in 1929. Erected October 6, 1961, by the Shaker Square Association upon the . . . — Map (db m17814) HM

931 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 731
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020