(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — — Map (db m27957) HM
This cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Autauga County having been established as a burial ground by at least 1841. The land was officially set aside as a burial ground when the county seat was in this area from 1834 to 1868. The area . . . — — Map (db m82561) HM
The property where the cemetery is located was part of a Spanish Land Grant issued to the Suarez family prior to the War of 1812. In 1925, a United States Land Patent was confirmed and issued. The property has been in use since . . . — — Map (db m71618) HM
During the Revolutionary War, France, Spain, Britain, and the United States were interested in the fate of this region. In March 1780, Spanish forces captured Mobile. They established a palisaded fort with trenches (one mile north of here) to . . . — — Map (db m61451) HM
Saluda Hill Cemetery is a private historical cemetery established in 1824. Among the graves here is that of Zachariah Godbold, the only known Revolutionary War veteran buried in Baldwin County. Many Blakeley residents and Confederate soldiers also . . . — — Map (db m81854) HM
Dedicated to all women veterans
who have served, sacrificed
and suffered for our nation.
Your patriotism and courage are greatly
appreciated and will never be forgotten.
[Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — — Map (db m100943) WM
In 1828, Reverend John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the . . . — — Map (db m78123) HM
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaulas early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — — Map (db m27987) HM
Samuel Sellers (1788-1857) of North Carolina arrived with his large family at Three Notch Road on January 29, 1835. Here, in what was then the Missouri Beat, Pike County, the first post office in the area was established, 2.5 miles west of . . . — — Map (db m61061) HM
Log Cabin Museum
Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830s. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in . . . — — Map (db m60969) HM
Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — — Map (db m67552) HM
In March 1863 Francis and Sarah Sheppard gave 3 acres of land to Methodist Episcopal Church South as a place for worship and burial. 2 more acres given by Alexander and Mary Sheppard Oct. 1868. Property sold to County Line Primitive Baptist Church . . . — — Map (db m70838) HM
Greenville's oldest, established 1819. Captain William Butler, for whom the county was named, buried here. He was killed fighting Indians led by Savannah Jack in March, 1818. Greenville's oldest church, a community church established in 1822, . . . — — Map (db m70751) HM
James Crook established this cemetery in
1837 on land he purchased from Creek
Indians. In 1834, he and his family moved
to this area from South Carolina.
In Nov. 1837, Samuel M. Crook, grandson
of James Crook, was the first person buried
here. . . . — — Map (db m36552) HM
LaFayette Cemetery, also known as Westview, began in 1934 with the death of Miss Sarah Gipson. Many early pioneers and veterans of East Alabama are buried here including Revolutionary War Patriot Capt. Alexander Dunn, Col. Charles McLemore, . . . — — Map (db m83263) HM
Final resting place of Chief Pathkiller (B. 1749 - D. 1827) who served as principal chief of the Cherokee Nation. Many prominent early settlers are also interred here including newspaper editor and publisher, Confederate infantry captain and . . . — — Map (db m114282) HM
In 1896 Swedish settlers organized the Concordia Methodist Church and acquired this land for the Concordia Cemetery, later known as the Lutheran Cemetery. This is the former site of Strassburg School. In the 1980s it became known as the Scandinavian . . . — — Map (db m83269) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Mt. Nebo Cemetery is home to the unique folk art of African American inventor and artist, Issac "Ike" Nettles, who used concrete to make images of living people's faces for . . . — — Map (db m101576) HM
This Greek Revival style brick structure is known as the Hope Family Grave Shelter. Constructed in 1853, it is listed on the National Register of Historical places. The unusual splayed eaves and vaulted or “compass” . . . — — Map (db m47621) HM
Established 1858, Ό mile east of here. Camp meetings were held in summers. Congregation moved to site near Peniel 1894. The "arbor" and church building were left at original site. These buildings convenient for annual encampment of county . . . — — Map (db m101579) HM
Bullet - marked tombstones in this cemetery show evidence of a brisk skirmish here Oct. 26, 1863, when Gen. P.J. Osterhaus's first division of Sherman's Corps came under fire from Gen. S.D. Lee's Confederate troops. CSA artillery on a hill near a . . . — — Map (db m83329) HM
The town of Leighton was named in honor of the Reverend William Leigh, son and grandson of Revolutionary War veterans. He was born in Amelia County Virginia, Oct 4, 1790 and moved to Alabama about 1823. Leigh settled nearby . . . — — Map (db m106112) HM
This burial ground was designated on General John Coffee's 1817 survey and original map "Plan of a Town at the Coldwater Spring." The oldest tombstone carries the burial date 1821 and the cemetery contains graves of veterans from all wars beginning . . . — — Map (db m28567) HM
Front – Side A:
The Winston family settled this area in the early 1820s. Andrew Jackson purchased the property at the U.S. government land sale and conveyed it to Col. Anthony Winston (1782-1841) who lived nearby in a two-story . . . — — Map (db m28566) HM
War of 1812 veteran John Green (1790-1882) settled in Burnt Corn in 1816. He held many public offices, established the first school, and represented Conecuh County in the state legislature in 1824 and 1829. He was the Conecuh delegate to the . . . — — Map (db m81285) HM
Peace & Goodwill Cemetery is Coosa County's first African American Cemetery to be placed on the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. It provides powerful insights about the diligence and commitment of our African Ancestors. Family . . . — — Map (db m64587) HM
The Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church was built circa 1890, on land donated by Thomas Warren Shows and his family. The Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church was a member of the Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Association, which was formed in 1837. It was one . . . — — Map (db m72054) HM
Col. John G. Cullmann
July 2, 1823 - December 3, 1895
Thrifty German Colonists led by Col. John G. Cullmann in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau of Alabama.
This plaque and Restoration Sponsored by Cullman Federated Garden . . . — — Map (db m35629) HM
Early settlers to Cullman County established Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church as a brush arbor in the 1870s on land homesteaded and donated by Richard McCain. Trustees, J. J. McKissack, W. H. Martin, J. C. Vickery, J. W. Kilgo, together with . . . — — Map (db m34244) HM
These are not graves.
These are markers to memoralize
the Federal soldiers who died in the
Cahawba Military Prison during the
Civil War. The men within the prison
called it "Castle Morgan."
No one knows where in Cahawba these . . . — — Map (db m112409) HM
Burials in this cemetery, which served Cahaba from 1848 to 1900, tell a story of the town in which many deaths resulted from diseases of infancy, childhood and early adult life, Yellow Fever being a large factor because of proximity to Gulf of . . . — — Map (db m23322) HM
This site was set aside by the 1820 General Assembly, burials here date from 1818 to 1847. Interred are some of the state's earliest figures. There is no record of names, many handsome tombs have been destroyed, seven marked ones remaining, six are . . . — — Map (db m23355) HM
Prosperity Associate Reformed Presbyterian
Church Cemetery is the resting place of many
members of the church from 1846 until 1961. The
Church was organized in 1822 by Isaac Grier. A
church building stood on this site from 1844 until
1891, . . . — — Map (db m112357) HM
A Cumberland Presbyterian church named Mt. Pleasant was organized here about 1821 by Rev. William James Moor, a missionary from the Elk Presbytery of Tennessee. Renamed Mount Carmel in 1827, this church provided early leadership for the Ala. . . . — — Map (db m75777) HM
East portion reserved for graveyard, 1829; west part purchased City of Selma, 1877.
Here are buried:
William Rufus King, 1786-1853, Vice President of U.S. 1853.
John Tyler Morgan, 1824-1907, U.S. Senator, Brig. Gen. C.S.A.
Edmund . . . — — Map (db m37653) HM
Established in 1816 by eight families from Rocky River Presbyterian Church in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
In 1859 this two-story brick building replaced original wooden structure.
Sanctuary and former slave gallery are on second . . . — — Map (db m83683) HM
Native Sampson County, North Carolina.
Admitted to bar, 1806.
North Carolina House of Commons 1807-1809.
U.S. Congressman 1811-16.
Secretary U.S. Legation Naples and St. Petersburg 1816-1818.
Moved to Dallas County, Alabama, 1818.
. . . — — Map (db m37654) HM
Established circa 1819 as Childers Meeting House on land given by George Childers. Patent for the land was issued to George Childers March 16, 1819. This Methodist Church was later known as Childers Chapel. Church burned in 1842. Congregation . . . — — Map (db m37646) HM
Franklin Cemetery was established in the mid-nineteenth
century and was originally located on land where the existing
Georgia-Pacific Brewton LLC containerboard mill stands off of
Highway 31 in Brewton. The cemetery served as the primary
burial . . . — — Map (db m94163) HM
Union Cemetery has been an
important resting place for
Brewton's loved ones since
at least 1879. State
the historical significance
of Union Cemetery for our
area by adding it to the
Alabama Historic Cemetery
Register . . . — — Map (db m94162) HM
Organized on June 30, 1888 by thirteen charter members as Dundee Missionary Baptist Church. The congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on this present site. The first church building was erected from pine slabs in the summer of 1886. . . . — — Map (db m39125) HM
The First Baptist Church of Abbeville
This church was founded in 1834 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Baptist Church. Reverend Jeremiah Campbell was one of the early pastors. Later meetings were held in the lower story . . . — — Map (db m71807) HM
An arm of the Shilo Primitive Baptist Church located near the Abby Creek, began meeting near the Three Cornered Pond just south of here in 1848. A new church called Piney Grove was constituted on April 21, 1849, by the hands of . . . — — Map (db m71815) HM
Newville Baptist Church
A small Baptist congregation met under a brush arbor in 1876, near what later became the village of Wells which grew into the town of Newville, Alabama. A log church called Center was erected in . . . — — Map (db m71814) HM
Old Center Methodist Church
The church was organized in 1859. The first building was a log structure located just NW of the present building. In the 1870's it was part of the Newton Circuit and was served by a minister who lived in the . . . — — Map (db m71831) HM
The Columbia Cemetery was started in the 1830s on land given
by Rev. Edmund Talbot. It postdates the abandoned Omussee
Creek Church Cemetery located a mile SW of here. A "public
Meeting house," which served as the Columbia . . . — — Map (db m115031) HM
Mr. William Wood (b. 22 Mar. 1826, d. 15 Oct. 1885), a prominent Gordon businessman, donated one acre of land located north of the town center adjacent to the old river road, now U.S. Highway 95, from . . . — — Map (db m73371) HM
Big Creek United Methodist Church
One of the oldest churches in southeast Alabama and reportedly the oldest church in Houston County. The first church structure was a log building constructed about 20 yards north of the . . . — — Map (db m73356) HM
(Front): Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery . . . — — Map (db m83790) HM
Union Baptist Church was organized in 1834 by 18 or 20 members from Canaan Church. The Libscomb area was then known as East End. Members of the Rockett and Ware families donated the original two acreas of this site and a log cabin, which served as . . . — — Map (db m24352) HM
This cemetery is the final resting place of three of the four young girls killed in the September 15, 1963 church bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church. Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley and Carol Robertson are buried here. The fourth victim, . . . — — Map (db m61197) HM
In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with . . . — — Map (db m27096) HM
New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery were established here on land with a log house donated by Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Jackson Glass on August 21, 1884, for religious and educational purposes. The five-member church began with trustee Manson Glass. On . . . — — Map (db m83832) HM
(front): United Confederate Veterans Camp Hardee No. 39 Camp Hardee No. 39 was organized as a camp of the United Confederate Veterans on August 7, 1891. This cemetery plot was acquired by the camp to provide a final resting place for the men . . . — — Map (db m12487) HM
Wilson Chapel was built in 1916 as a memorial to James and Frances Wilson by their daughters, Rosa Wilson Eubanks and Minerva Wilson Constantine. At the time of its construction the area was developing into a community of country homes known as . . . — — Map (db m26681) HM
Mt. Zion Baptist Church began burying here in the mid-1800s. On June 2, 1970, New Grace Hill Cemetery, Inc., a subsidiary of the Booker T. Washington Insurance Company in Birmingham, purchased this cemetery and officially named it Zion Memorial . . . — — Map (db m35602) HM
Local Methodist connections for Clay Methodist Church were Cedar Mountain Church and Shiloh Methodist Church. Samuel, a Revolutionary War soldier, was a notable member of these early churches. Many of his descendants are buried here. James Self . . . — — Map (db m117209) HM
The oldest marked grave is that of Nancy Paerson, daughter of William S. Turner who was born September 23, 1813 and died September 19, 1830. Jesse Taylor deeded land for this church and graveyard on February 15, 1856.
Listed in the Alabama . . . — — Map (db m25134) HM
Samuel Massey and his brother - in - law, Duke William Glenn, first came to this Territory in February 1814 with Lt. Col Reuben Nash's Regt. South Carolina Volunteer Militia to help defeat the Creek Indians in the War of 1812. Samuel Massey returned . . . — — Map (db m25088) HM
Established about 1850, Wear Cemetery is located off Old Springville Road to the northeast at Countryside Circle. In the 1800's the Wear family was among the first settlers of the community later known as Clay. Twenty-three remaining graves were . . . — — Map (db m25113) HM
Union Hill Cemetery is the burial ground of many pioneers and early settlers of the Shades Valley area. It was established in the 1870s, but includes gravestones dating back to the early 1850s due to the relocation of two earlier, smaller cemeteries . . . — — Map (db m83873) HM
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — — Map (db m26294) HM
Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area . . . — — Map (db m83915) HM
In April 1836, William White donated land for a church and cemetery. In December 1904, William T. Simmons and his wife R. A. sold adjoining land to the church adding to the cemetery. The oldest marked grave is for Hepsey Herring who died October 8, . . . — — Map (db m83917) HM
Shiloh Cemetery is the first recorded Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery in middle Alabama. Burial at Shiloh began in 1820, a year before the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized in 1821 at Oakridge, now Leeds. The cemetery stood back from . . . — — Map (db m49350) HM
This cemetery is owned by St. John Baptist Church in Edgewater and operated by Scott-McPherson Funeral Home, Inc. US Steel Corporation previously owned the area and it is historically associated with the Edgewater Mining Camp community established . . . — — Map (db m37221) HM
The notorious outlaw gang leader who boasted that no one would ever run over Tom Clark lies buried near the center of Tennessee Street where now all who pass by do run over him.
In 1872, Clark, who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil . . . — — Map (db m80320) HM
When the city was surveyed this land described as "outside the city limits" was designated as the burying grounds for the new town. It contains the graves of early settlers, including a son and brother of Ferdinand Sannoner, Surveyor of Florence, . . . — — Map (db m83968) HM
John Coffee was born in Prince Edward County, VA, in 1772, the son of Joshua and Elizabeth Graves Coffee. The family moved to NC in 1777. After his father died in 1798, Coffee and other family members moved to Davidson County, TN . . . — — Map (db m100248) HM WM
Side 1 Following an outbreak of the dreaded plague, smallpox (Variola), at Florence during the winter of 1865-66, the Board of Alderman adopted a resolution on January 2, 1866, that a Pesthouse be “erected at the vineyard as soon as . . . — — Map (db m84043) HM
This area is the military cemetery for Confederate Soldiers. After an 1862 skirmish in the streets of Florence, it was used to bury casualties until the end of the Civil War. Many unknown Confederates and a few unknown Union soldiers rest here. . . . — — Map (db m28402) HM
Church organized in 1819; First Cemetery Burial in 1819. One of the earliest Methodist Congregations in the area, this church was organized by local preacher, Rev. Alexander Faires, in a log school built in 1816. Land donated in 1818 for church and . . . — — Map (db m56354) HM
In 1818 three Wilson brothers John, Matthew and Samuel, came from Virginia to purchase large farms in this area. The plantations of John and Matthew joined near this cemetery. All three brothers and their families are buried here. . . . — — Map (db m28160) HM
This is one of the earliest community burial grounds in Lauderdale County. The oldest dated gravestone is for Catherine Hill, first wife of Green Berry Hill, for whom the community is named. She died on June 8, 1825. George Kennedy deeded five acres . . . — — Map (db m68061) HM
Daniel White, native of North Carolina, purchased land here in 1818, a year before Alabama became a state. His home and stagecoach stop, "Wayside Inn" was a large two~ story log house located on the North side of the highway from this site. In 1834 . . . — — Map (db m29170) HM
Established in 1894 as New Salem Presbyterian Church. Originally affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the first recorded meeting was held 1897, William White, Pastor.
The Church became affiliated with Presbyterian U.S.A. in 1907. . . . — — Map (db m86305) HM
One of Alabama's oldest and most picturesque town cemeteries, this site was set aside as a burying ground by the Courtland Land Company in its original survey made prior to the incorporation of the town in 1819. Many of the area's . . . — — Map (db m84304) HM
First known as the Peerson Cemetery, it later became the McKelvey Cemetery and still carries that name. Buried here are some early Moulton pioneers and merchants, Veterans of the War of 1812 and Civil War, each contributed to Moulton's early . . . — — Map (db m84312) HM
Auburn's first separate black community cemetery offers a rich source of the citys black heritage. Much of the history is oral but it is known that a white man gave most of the land in the early 1870s. The four acre cemetery . . . — — Map (db m74453) HM
Pine Hill was established in 1837 and is the oldest cemetery in Auburn. Judge John J. Harper, Auburn's founder, donated almost six acres to the new town to be used as a community burying ground for white settlers and their . . . — — Map (db m74474) HM
On February 9, 1876, the City of Opelika paid D.B. Preston $80 for two acres of land to establish an African-American section of Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area of the cemetery contains 176 blocks, with 16 being partial . . . — — Map (db m75139) HM
The City of Opelika purchased 19.6 acres of land to expand Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area is the newest portion. There are 193 blocks with varying numbers of sections and spaces in each. 467 grave markers have death dates . . . — — Map (db m75140) HM
On July 23, 1869, the City of Opelika purchased ten acres of land for a cemetery from Dr. A.B. Bennett for $100 an acre. On November 23, 1869, he accepted his choice of a lot in exchange for the debt. The earliest marked grave is . . . — — Map (db m85335) HM
North Side This marks the site of Cambridge, a small town established in the earliest years of Limestone County. In 1818, it consisted of several business houses, shops, and a mill. It was one of three locations considered for the county . . . — — Map (db m60177) HM
Wealthy and influential Virginia family settled here in 1820's. Daniel Coleman (1801-1857) built his stately home a block west about 1826. During the Civil War, home was occupied by Yankee troops who took Elizabeth Coleman's teeth for their gold . . . — — Map (db m85389) HM
The Confederate Circle in Athens City Cemetery contains graves of over 50 soldiers killed in or around Athens during the WBTS, 8 unknown. Around 1898 ladies of the local UDC were working in the cemetery when bones, believed to be soldiers, were . . . — — Map (db m94159) HM
Lentzville Cemetery began as the family cemetery for the family of John Henry Lentz (7 Feb 1753-18 Jul 1835) and his wife Savilla. John Henry was a veteran of the American Revolution and pioneer settler of Limestone County, entering his land in . . . — — Map (db m114306) HM
This is the earliest known cemetery in the town of Athens, and the final resting place for many of its first citizens. The earliest burials date from the 1820s and continue through the mid-1800s, with an occasional burial past 1900. Through the . . . — — Map (db m71525) HM
Born April 23, 1781 in Hanover Co. Virginia, married there to Martha Hargrave of a wealthy Quaker family. He served as U.S. Marshall and in other positions. Moved to Kentucky in 1808. Was a Captain in the WAR OF 1812 and became a political and . . . — — Map (db m29284) HM
Old New Garden Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest in Limestone County and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here including Patsy Elmore, widow of a . . . — — Map (db m73836) HM
VA native John Nelson Spotswood Jones, son of Rev. War Capt. Lewellen Jones, cousin of Martha Washington, and descendant of Rev. Rowland Jones of Williamsburg's Bruton Parish, built Druid's Grove near this site before 1820 and established the . . . — — Map (db m70235) HM
The first known burial here is Charles Cunningham who died September 28, 1852. Many unmarked fieldstones are present that could mark older graves. The cemetery contains 82 identifiable burials with headstones. Six Confederate soldiers, WWI, and WWII . . . — — Map (db m98753) HM
The first known burial here is Nancy Vinson Christopher who died May 16, 1852. Many unmarked fieldstones are present that could mark older graves. The cemetery contains 52 identifiable burials with headstones. Five Confederate soldiers and one WWII . . . — — Map (db m71991) HM
Build abt. 1858 by Schuyler Harris on land once owned by Henry Augustine Washington, a distant relative of the first president. Through purchases, marriages, and inheritance between the Washington, Harris and Pryor families, all . . . — — Map (db m85458) HM
In Honor of
Our Confederate Soldiers
Jno Alexander Wm. Alexander Wm. H. Alexander Ed Alexander Capt. M.F. Bonham Maj. Bright Capt. T.B. Brown Alberta Caffee Irvin Crocheron J.P. Caffee Jim Crocheron Jno. . . . — — Map (db m85472) WM
The camp on this site served as a military hospital, a camp of conscription and instruction, a supply depot, and a cemetery during the War Between the States. At one time, there were hundreds of headstones and rocks marking the final resting place . . . — — Map (db m73529) HM
More than 8,000 people, White and Colored, rich and poor, from the lowliest farm and the richest Fifth Avenue mansion crowded in and around the school chapel to pay homage [to Booker T. Washington].
—Baltimore Afro-American, . . . — — Map (db m99943) HM
Harris Hill Cemetery is located Sec. 17, T3, and R1E, on the south side of Highway 72 East at the intersection of Moores Mill Road and Highway 72 East in a large clump of trees on a small rise. This is the old home place and family graveyard of . . . — — Map (db m43878) HM
by the City of Huntsville
Maple Hill Cemetery
has become the final resting place of many citizens of this community. Here lie brave men who served in the major wars of our nation, many public servants, . . . — — Map (db m28791) HM
On September 3, 1818, the Huntsville City Commissioners purchased two acres of land from LeRoy Pope for a "burying ground" for slaves. This cemetery was located within the NE quarter of Section 1, Township 4, Range 1 West of the Base Meridian. It . . . — — Map (db m35214) HM
This cemetery site was used as a burial ground for slaves who lived on both the Peter Blow and Job Key plantations from 1811 to 1865. Dred Scott's first wife and their two children are believed to have been buried here. The cemetery continued to be . . . — — Map (db m31562) HM
John Whitaker, born 1761 in Pitt County, NC, was a Revolutionary War Soldier and established this cemetery. He and his second wife Winnie sold their land in Pitt County in 1801 and migrated to Rowan County where Winnie died, then to Mulberry, TN . . . — — Map (db m71341) HM
Interred in the north section of this cemetery were many slaves who had labored on Faunsdale Plantation since its founding in 1843. The earliest identified burial in the black section of the cemetery is that of Barbary (Harrison), a house servant on . . . — — Map (db m72965) HM
1844 - Dr. Thomas & Louisa Harrison gave acre of their Faunsdale Plantation for a log church designated Union Parish.
1852 - name changed to St. Michaels Parish.
1855 - slave artisans Peter Lee and Joe Glasgow built Gothic Revival-style . . . — — Map (db m72964) HM
Mt. Pleasant Baptist
by Elder James Yarbrough in 1820
with 27 charter members.
By 1834 it had 150 members.
Church among the oldest in Demopolis area.
Buried in church cemetery are John Gilmore, Reuben Hildreth and . . . — — Map (db m72974) HM
Constituted June 6, 1821 from the fruits of labor of the venerable Solomon Perkins, For four years after their constitution they enjoyed almost a continual revival. Home of Miss Willie Kelly, a missionary to China from 1894 to 1936. This church was . . . — — Map (db m72968) HM
Following the Civil War and emancipation, newly freed African Americans, who had worshiped in the Bethel Church in McKinley while enslaved, established their own Bethel Church in a wooden house at the rear of the current church site. In the . . . — — Map (db m72969) HM
The original building was located about three miles east of the present site near the village of Shiloh. It was used as a union church until it became a Baptist Church in 1842. A new building was erected at the present site and the first bodies were . . . — — Map (db m72970) HM
Pikeville, designated as the first permanent county seat for Marion County, lies along General Andrew Jackson's Military Road. Earlier temporary county seats were mostly along the Tombigbee River in what was Mississippi when the . . . — — Map (db m96485) HM
The West Main Street Cemetery was established in the late 1850s by the Jones Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, which was located nearby. Among notable persons buried here are: Thomas A. Albert (1796-1876), for whom Albertville is named; W. . . . — — Map (db m39069) HM
A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church North erected a log church, possibly named Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, adjacent to this cemetery in 1883. The church served as Arab's first school. The earliest marked grave is 1883, though older . . . — — Map (db m42594) HM
Brashier's Chapel community was named for Hiram Brashier who emigrated from South Carolina in 1885 and settled near the present day Brashier's Chapel Cemetery. The oldest grave dates to 1866 and is for Mary Tuttle, the maternal grandmother of . . . — — Map (db m83810) HM
Located on the hilltop 500 feet southwest of here. Fry Cemetery typifies rural valley-and-ridge community cemeteries of the 1800s. The Fry family emigrated from Virginia to this area when it was still part of the Mississippi Territory. Revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m85851) HM
The church was founded on March 14, 1886 by charter members R.J. Riddle, Julie Riddle, W.J. Wright, A. M. Preston, W.B. Scott and F.E. Scott. It is named after Shoal Creek, which rises up less than a mile from the church grounds and empties into the . . . — — Map (db m68785) HM
Organized by 1847 as one of the first churches on Sand Mountain. First meeting house erected 1855; buildings at present site constructed about 1885 and 1927. Preachers included Samuel Tyler, Levi Isbell, Jacob K. Dowdy, James R. Isbell, James R. . . . — — Map (db m85853) HM
This park and bird refuge dates from the Mississippian Period (AD 1100 to 1550). Native Americans, who roasted oysters and fished in adjacent Dauphin Island Bay, visited the shell mounds for centuries. From excavations carried out in 1990, . . . — — Map (db m122350) HM
Catholic Cemetery, established in 1848 by Michael Portier, Bishop of Mobile, with purchase of five acres on Stone St., now Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Significant for its circular pattern original section has three concentric rings of graves . . . — — Map (db m112224) HM
In 1862, while Alabama was a State among the Confederate States of America suffering invasion by Union forces, the City of Mobile designed this Square 13 of Magnolia Cemetery as "Soldier's Rest" for Confederate Patriots who were casualties of the . . . — — Map (db m87210) HM WM
This memorial is dedicated to the gallant crew of the CSS Horace L Hunley and their commander 1st Lt George E Dixon
Co A 21st Ala Inf CSA who
perished on the attack on
the USS Housatonic Feb 17 1864 — — Map (db m86251) WM
Mobile National Cemetery was established in May 1866 on 3 acres of land in Magnolia Cemetery. The City of Mobile donated the land to the federal government. The Cemetery was divided into four sections with a central . . . — — Map (db m86914) HM
The Old Plateau Cemetery, known as the Africatown Graveyard, is the final resting place of enslaved Africans, African-Americans, and a Buffalo Soldier. The burial ground dates back to 1876, sixteen years after Africans arrived on the Clotilda . . . — — Map (db m86308) HM
The origin of this Cathedral was established on July 20, 1703, by Jean-Baptiste de La Croix de Chevrieres de Saint Vallier, Bishop of Quebec at Fort Louis de la Mobile, the citys first permanent settlement. The Bishop also . . . — — Map (db m117245) HM
This cemetery was
established in the 1800s
as a final resting place
for the Crawford
Community loved ones.
The Lord family donated
the cemetery property
Listed in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register, April 30, 2009 . . . — — Map (db m116933) HM
The Puryearville Methodist Church began as a society near Burnt Corn in 1820 and was located here c. 1830 to c. 1943. Richard C. Puryear deeded 2 acres of land on March 25, 1843 to Isaac Betts, George Watson, William Black, Joel B. Walden and Thomas . . . — — Map (db m47699) HM
North of Salem Cemetery and the former church was the site of Price's Hotel, the first place to spend the night on the Federal Road after Greenville. Mr Price was also the stagecoach driver for this section between Greenville and his hotel. Mrs . . . — — Map (db m84986) HM
Born Feb. 17, 1779 in Prince Edward County, VA, nephew of John Scott, founder of Alabama Town which in 1819 joined New Philadelphia to become Montgomery. Reared in the Broad River area of northeast Georgia, . . . — — Map (db m70936) HM
Atop this hill lies Fair Prospect Cemetery, established in the 1840s as part of Fair Prospect Church. Land was donated for the church and cemetery by Benjamin Mitchell (1765-1848) and his wife Jane Scrimpton Mitchell (1775-1850). The location of . . . — — Map (db m54735) HM
The Jonesville Community on Old Pike Road in Mathews, named for wealthy landowner George Mathews from Olgethorp County Ga.
was designated by the Montgomery County Commission on October
16th, 2007 to honor the life and legacy . . . — — Map (db m68716) HM
Augusta, home of Old Augusta Cemetery, was built on the site of a former Indian village, “Sawanogi,” on high ground close to the Tallapoosa River. In 1824 a disastrous flood swept over the plateau, invading shops and residences. A year . . . — — Map (db m68260) HM
Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA
Born Virginia; educated VMI and West Point; fought in Mexico; practiced law in California; married Alabamian whose family owned the Tallassee cotton mill; served as general in . . . — — Map (db m86065) HM
Confederate Military Prison
Near this site, from mid April to December 1862, a Confederate military prison held, under destitute conditions, 700 Union soldiers, most captured at Shiloh. They were imprisoned in a foul, . . . — — Map (db m71369) HM
Governor William Calvin Oates
Born in Pike County into a poor Alabama family in 1835, Oates practiced law in Abbeville when the War began. Elected Captain of the "Henry Pioneers," Co. G, 15th Alabama Infantry. He saw . . . — — Map (db m86116) HM
In 1907 the American Securities Company opened Lincoln Cemetery for African Americans and Greenwood Cemetery for whites, the first commercial cemeteries in the city. Landscape design indicates . . . — — Map (db m71342) HM
Organized on June 19, 1819, by Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter, Old Elam is one of Montgomery's earliest Baptist churches. It began with fourteen members and was one of the four original churches that comprised . . . — — Map (db m111373) HM
Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery is Montgomery County's 22nd cemetery listed in the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter founded Old Elam Baptist Church on June 19, . . . — — Map (db m82565) HM
The city cemetery was begun by donations of land from Andrew Dexter in 1817 and from General John Scott in 1818. Dexter and Scott had founded separate villages which combined to form Montgomery in 1819. The early part of the graveyard was known as . . . — — Map (db m36496) HM
Buried here are 78 officers and men of the Royal Air Force who lost their lives whilst training in Montgomery, Alabama during the Second World War.
Nearly 1,000 men who died during that war or the First World War when serving with the forces of . . . — — Map (db m88770) HM WM
The Founders of The Waters relocated and restored this historic cemetery in May 2005. The original cemetery site, located along the Old Federal Road beyond the boundary of the Creek Indian lands at Line Creek, had fallen into ruin due to years of . . . — — Map (db m72015) HM
John W. Ray, his wife, Martha; their infant son; and her fifteen-year-old brother, James R. Conyers, moved to Mt. Meigs from Greene County, Georgia. He and his older brother, Isaac Ray, owned extensive landholdings along Vaughn and Taylor Roads. . . . — — Map (db m86473) HM
Bethel Cemetery was constituted Feb 13, 1819 and located on Federal Rd. Bethel Church was 1 of 4 churches in the Alabama Baptist Association which was formed on Dec. 13, 1819. On July 22, 1837, the church became the object of a major split in . . . — — Map (db m71430) HM
During the War Between the States, Breckinridge Military Hospital was established at what is now Marion Military Institute. Soldiers who died were first buried behind MMI campus. After the war, Ladies Memorial Assoc. had remains exhumed and . . . — — Map (db m70105) HM
From October 24, 1855 through December 17, 1877, the Parish records of St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Church states that people of color, both slave and free, were buried here in St. Wilfrid's cemetery. — — Map (db m70067) HM
On a wooded spot near where Garden Cemetery is located stood Enon Baptist Church, constituted in August 1823, by Lemuel Prewitt and Henry Petty on land donated by Parks E. Ball.
Sometime after 1849 the meeting place was moved about one mile west . . . — — Map (db m37524) HM
who departed this life
November 24th 1840
Aged 82 years, 6 months
and 9 days.
The deceased was a soldier
of the Revolution and was at
The battles of Germantown,
Brandywine and Guilford
Court house, and was one of
Washingtons . . . — — Map (db m37522) HM
A veteran of the War of 1812, Major William Burt Allred and his wife, Jane O. Park Allred, moved from Newton County, GA to Pike County, AL in 1839. Construction began on their new home in 1840 and was completed in 1843. The home is . . . — — Map (db m72056) HM
Founded prior to 1850, at the same time as the original church near Fryer's Bridge, which became the village of Linwood in the late 1850s. Original cemetery included the graves of both black and white parishioners of the early church. In the . . . — — Map (db m76746) HM
This military graveyard was established soon after Fort Mitchell was built by General John Floyd of the Georgia Militia. Located just south of the stockade, the cemetery was used between 1813 and 1840 during the fort's occupation by Georgia and . . . — — Map (db m26122) HM
Near here was the home of Confederate Brigadier General James Cantey who arrived in 1849 to operate a plantation owned by his father. Prior to coming to Russell County he had practiced law at his birthplace, Camden, South Carolina, and had . . . — — Map (db m81715) HM
Near here is the site where John Crowell lived, died, and is interred. Colonel Crowell was born in Halifax County, North Carolina, on September 18, 1780; moved to Alabama in 1815, having been appointed as Agent of the United States to the . . . — — Map (db m26116) HM
Old St. Peter A.M.E. Church Cemetery is one of Russell County's oldest African-American cemeteries. Established in the early 1880s by former slaves, the church became a central institution to many families in the Seale community. Records indicate . . . — — Map (db m78116) HM
Located on the site of the original Benton homestead, this cemetery was founded July 12, 1842, with the burial of early Shelby County settler Jesse Benton (1796-1842). All who rest herein are members of the Benton family by birth, marriage, or close . . . — — Map (db m37224) HM
Harless Cemetery was established as a burying ground in the early 1800s. It is on land homesteaded by Henry Harless, Jr., that was later owned and subsequently deeded to the cemetery by members of the Wyatt family. The oldest surviving marker is for . . . — — Map (db m24914) HM
Established October 15, 1868, with the burial of Elizabeth “Betsy” Nabors. Her loving husband, John, followed her in death only fifteen days later. They are buried side by side. Many local pioneer families chose to share this hallowed . . . — — Map (db m37046) HM
Established June 2, 1849 by
Veteran of War of 1812
In Consideration of His Love for the Church, He Conveyed the Burying Ground to the Trustees of Liberty Church And Their Successors.
Listed on the Alabama Historic . . . — — Map (db m28519) HM
The oldest known grave is that of Oprah Moore (1772-1823), consort to Rev. (Doctor) Lemuel Moore. This is the final resting place of American Revolutionary War Patriot William Jennings (1761-1840) and the professed burial site of the Last Creek . . . — — Map (db m59652) HM
This site began as the burying ground for Harmony Presbyterian Church, the first church built in the area that would become Helena. The earliest marked grave is Jones Griffin (died 1836), one of Andrew Jackson's Tennessee volunteers who was credited . . . — — Map (db m76237) HM
Established as Meredith Cemetery, the first recorded burial here was Sarah Hoge Meredith, who died August 25, 1836.
The Griffin family donated land for this burial ground and it has been in continuous use since founded. An annual memorial service . . . — — Map (db m37219) HM
The Confederate Army established a soldier's home and hospital here (1863-1865) as a part of the CSA Camp Winn Training Site. Father Leray and the Sisters of Mercy staffed the hospital after fleeing Civil War destruction in Vicksburg, MS. They . . . — — Map (db m24212) HM
This cemetery was established around 1841. The oldest marked grave is for Polly Webster (1822-May 3, 1841), daughter of Beulah Land founder Henley Webster, born February 5, 1805 in Anderson County, SC and died February 20, 1884. This hallowed ground . . . — — Map (db m59464) HM
This cemetery was established August 20, 1857, by George G. and Purnelea Crawford. In an earnest desire to promote Gods Kingdom on Earth, they conveyed this site to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and their successors. . . . — — Map (db m59653) HM
This cemetery has been an important resting place for loved ones since the early 1800s.
A Dutchman named Avehard is believed to be the first person buried here. The earliest marked grave dates to 1854. Sharecroppers, former slaves, educators, . . . — — Map (db m37225) HM
In April 1950, Alabamas last two living Confederate veterans met here to discuss shared experiences of the Civil War. Local resident Col. Pleasant Riggs Crump was visited by Gen. James Moore of Selma, commander of the Alabama chapter of the . . . — — Map (db m62209) HM
Marble City Cemetery opened for public burials in 1898 when the City of Sylacauga purchased one acre of a wheat field from James T. Persons. Originally a private burial ground of the George W. Pearson family, the earliest burial dates from 1876. The . . . — — Map (db m57764) HM
Leading the charge on the Indian defenses, Major Montgomery fell while storming the log barricade, Horseshoe Bend was his first battle. But the 28 year old Tennessean already a distinguished lawyer, was among the most promising of Jackson's officers. — — Map (db m51667) HM
In 1898, nine area residents organized a Presbyterian church with Rev. B.F. Bellinger as organizational pastor. Worship services were held every fourth Sunday in the old Concord School or, weather permitting, under a bush arbor on the site. A . . . — — Map (db m95111) HM
One of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility, this cemetery was established in 1922 and was closed for burials in 1953. It contains approximately 1550 burials mostly marked with . . . — — Map (db m40449) HM
Laid out in the original city plan, Greenwood is Tuscaloosa oldest surviving cemetery. It has been in continuous use since prior to 1820. The earliest marked grave is dated 1821.
Some of the ornate marble markers located in Greenwood were . . . — — Map (db m40392) HM
This is the oldest of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility. The first recorded burial dates to 1861. While only a few graves are currently marked, it is estimated that thousands of . . . — — Map (db m40450) HM
Buried near this plaque are Jack Rudolph and William “Boysey” Brown, two slaves owned by University of Alabama faculty, and William J. Crawford, a University student who died in 1844.
Rudolph was born in Africa about 1791 and died . . . — — Map (db m40389) HM
From 1905 to 1916 at least 83 men died and 400 were injured in gold mining accidents in the Fairbanks area. Underground mining was dangerous during this pioneer era. Most died from cave-ins, falling down shafts, being struck by . . . — — Map (db m47383) HM
In 1878, this notorious outlaw gang clashed over dividing their loot. A heated gunfight occurred in the saddle of this hill and it is said that at least seven died. Here lie their last known remains. — — Map (db m36607) HM
First cousin to famed "Texas John Slaughter", Peter Slaughter & his rough trailhands brought the first Texas cattle to the White Mtns. C.1881 & built his P Lazy S Ranch on the Black River. Pete is buried here with 3 sons & extended family. — — Map (db m36593) HM
This land was deeded to the City of Benson as a cemetery by the Pacific Improvement Company, the California based land company of the Southern Pacific Railroad, in March 1929.
Burial plots were sold to residents by the City of Benson and the . . . — — Map (db m48512) HM
The Post Cemetery predated the establishment of Fort Bowie, when soldiers of the California Column were interred here in 1862. The area was unfenced until 1878, when a four-foot adobe wall was erected to protect the graves from desecration by post . . . — — Map (db m68858) HM
On May 5, 1862, a Confederate foraging party rounding up cattle near the abandoned Butterfield Overland Mail Station battled a group of Apaches. The soldiers were members of Company A, Governor John R. Baylor's Regiment of Arizona Rangers, under the . . . — — Map (db m83149) HM
holds the remains of
18 California Volunteers who died
at Fort Lowell during the Civil War and a
Civil War Veteran of the U.S. Colored Troops.
Their graves are marked with a GAR star.
Sgt. John C. McQuade - Co.B, 2 Calif. . . . — — Map (db m33745) HM
This Tombstone Cemetery gives mute testimony to the hardships of Western frontier life. The people buried here were housewives, painted ladies, outlaws, gamblers, miners, business men and women, blacksmiths, cowboys and those "who died with their . . . — — Map (db m27926) HM
Buried here are the remains of Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury, Billy Clanton - killed in Earp Clanton battle Oct 26, 1881.
Dan Dowd, Red Sample, Bill DeLancy, Dan Kelly: Tex Howard hanged legally by Sheriff Ward for Bisbee massacre Mar 1884, John . . . — — Map (db m100173) HM
The son of a miner, Ed learned everything about prospecting from his father, except how to strike it rich! For twenty years, Ed prospected the west. He tried the "regular life," but after 18 months remarked: "No better off than I was prospecting, . . . — — Map (db m27933) HM
Catastrophe can happen even in spectacular beauty. When technological achievements and human actions fail, disasters may happen.
On June 30, 1956, a United Airlines DC-7 and a TWA Super Constellation maneuvered around towering cumulus clouds on . . . — — Map (db m124533) HM
This monument built to
perpetuate the memory of
the pioneers, trailblazers,
and adventurers that rest
in these unmarked graves.
(Arizona Highway Department, 1934)
Rededicated: April 27, 2003 (CY 6008)
By the Ancient and . . . — — Map (db m31188) HM
First used sometime after June 16, 1862. Some of Arizona's earliest pioneers, people of every race and moral persuasion, lie here in eternal peace. The last burial was on April 22, 1988. — — Map (db m31827) HM
This small plot of land was designated a cemetery by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio. Goodyear owned and farmed the surrounding acreage from 1916 until 1943. Goodyear workers and their families are buried here. Local oral history . . . — — Map (db m34555) HM
The 1897 Smurthwaite House is an excellent example of Shingle Style Architecture. It is one of fewer than one hundred 19th century buildings of this age left in Phoenix. It was donated to the City of Phoenix Park, Recreation and Library Department . . . — — Map (db m39414) HM
Tempe's first cemetery, named for the Buttes in the background, was established before 1900. It was located on 80 acres of high ground because lower areas were waterlogged. Members of Tempe's best-known families lie here, along with victims of . . . — — Map (db m34556) HM
5318 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 5118