Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Churches & Religion Historical Markers

248 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 48
 
Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd Marker
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — L242 — Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd
On June 15, 1858, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was organized; its parish was admitted into the Diocese of Michigan two years later. Built in 1866-69, this Gothic structure was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd and first used for Divine . . . — Map (db m69890) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hamilton — L1318 — Oakland Christian Reformed Church
A Dutch settlement known as Oakland sprang up in this area about a decade after the founding of nearby Holland in 1847. Many residents worshipped with the Vriesland and Drenthe congregations until they formed their own churches. One group, North . . . — Map (db m73681) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L77 — Ebenezer Reformed Church
Members of the First Reformed Church in Holland founded this congregation in 1866 to provide a place of worship for the settlers living southeast of town. Heavy immigration from the Netherlands prompted this move. The Dutch language was used . . . — Map (db m73682) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L483 — Graafschap Christian Reformed Church
(Side One) Erected in 1862, this church was the center of the Dutch immigrant community. The first settlers in this area arrived in early 1847 led by the Reverend Albertus C. V. Raalte. In June of that year a separate group of seventy . . . — Map (db m73685) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L70 — Old Wing Mission
The main portion of this building was the residence of George N. Smith, a Congregational missionary to the Indians in this area and at Waukazoo's Village on nearby Lake Macatawa. The mission was named after an Indian convert. Built in 1844-45 by . . . — Map (db m73683) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — L2119 — Otsego Methodist Church
The Otsego Methodist Church was organized in 1842 and served by a traveling minister. The first church was built on this site in 1847. On December 22, 1889, over 900 townspeople attended the dedication of the present church. Many donated money . . . — Map (db m69960) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Overisel — L1566 — Overisel / Overisel Reformed Church
(Side One) Overisel Seeking religious liberty and better economic opportunity in a new land, the Reverend Seine Bolks and a congregation of about two dozen families, left Hellendoorn, Province of Overisel, The Netherlands, on . . . — Map (db m73646) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L0908A — All Saints Episcopal Church / Gordon W. Lloyd
All Saints Episcopal Church An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatauk on All Saints Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd . . . — Map (db m45324) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1818 — First Congregational Church
On January 11, 1860, eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village, a council of area Congregational leaders met in the Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer the congregation built a church on this site, which . . . — Map (db m45457) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Shelbyville — Early History of Shelbyville
In the 1870's the Village of Shelbyville was created by the arrival of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad. Shelbyville was named after the first railroad station agent, Mr. Shelby. Since there was already a Michigan town named Shelby, the . . . — Map (db m74594) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L990 — St. Bernard Catholic Church
In 1861 Bishop Frederic Baraga (1797-1868) trod through snow and icy waters from Sault Ste. Marie to Alpena where he founded a Catholic church. However, it was not until 1866 that Father Patrick Murray became the first resident pastor of the church . . . — Map (db m121899) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2084 — First Presbyterian Church
Side 1 In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney, an elder in the church, twice ran unsuccessfully for president on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized . . . — Map (db m33696) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2018 — Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church
Frankenlust One of four colonies in Michigan settled by people from Franconia, Germany, Frankenlust was founded by Pastor Ferdinand Sievers and fourteen immigrants who established Saint Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in June 1848. On July . . . — Map (db m138097) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L0858 — Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
(front side): Trinity Church Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, . . . — Map (db m33912) HM
Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — S0245 — Benzonia College

In 1858, in what was then a remote wilderness, the Rev. Charles E. Bailey and four families from his Ohio Congregational parish founded Benzonia colony. It was to be an "educational Christian colony" modeled after the earlier Congregational . . . — Map (db m97478) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — L0468 — Mills Community House

This building was a girls dormitory erected in 1909 for the Benzonia Academy. Named Mills Cottage in honor of the Reverend Harlow S. Mills, pastor of Benzonia Congregational Church from 1896 to 1916, it became property of that church when the . . . — Map (db m97479) HM

Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — S717 — Israelite House of David / Mary's City of David
(Obverse Side) Israelite House of David Based on the teachings of the Christian Israelite tradition begun by Joanna Southcott in England in 1792. Benjamin and Mary Purnell founded the House of David communal religious community in . . . — Map (db m64809) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — The Historic District of Mary's City of DavidNational Register of Historic Places — Listed by the Keeper of the National Register, April 15, 2009 —
Officially beginning on 14 March, 1930, Mary Purnell’s reorganization of the Israelite House of David began in a very humble fashion on newly acquired properties along Britain and Eastman Avenues. With four agricultural properties, an unfinished and . . . — Map (db m81805) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — S250 — Andrews University
This, the oldest Seventh-day Adventist college and the pioneer in a world-wide system of Christian education, was chartered in 1874 at Battle Creek as Battle Creek College. It was moved to Berrien Springs in 1901 where its name was changed to . . . — Map (db m64917) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — L2130 — Union Church and Cemetery
In 1857 Protestants of different denominations established a church and cemetery on property purchased from Zera and Eliza Wright. They dedicated the Greek Revival-style Union Church on July 4, 1858. The denominations held services on alternating . . . — Map (db m64939) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — 260 — St. Joseph's Mission
Here, in 1837, in the then flourishing settlement of Bertrand, a fine brick church, dedicated to St. Joseph, was built to serve the Catholics of this area. In this church, on September 8, 1844, the habit of the Sisters of the Holy Cross was given . . . — Map (db m64931) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Buchanan — L1368A — Portage Prairie United Methodist Church
(Side 1) Persuaded by reports of good land from the Reverend John Seybert, Bishop of the Ohio Conference, the Jacob and David Rough families came to Portage Prairie from Pennsylvania in the spring of 1849. In 1851 they organized the Zion . . . — Map (db m64835) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Carey Mission
Founded in 1822 by Isaac McCoy Carey Mission This tablet placed in 1922 by Fort St. Joseph Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m68473) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J.
To the memory of Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J. Whose intrepid courage won the admiration of the Indians and whose apostolic zeal earned for him the title of the Francis Xavier of the American Missions. Father Allouez was born at St. . . . — Map (db m68554) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L732A — Morris Chapel Church
The local Methodist Episcopal Society, the oldest Methodist society in Berrien Township, was organized in 1840. In 1846 it voted to name its church in honor of Bishop Thomas A. Morris, then the head of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Michigan. . . . — Map (db m64952) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0344 — Saint Mary’s
The Roman Catholic Church in Niles traces its origin to the Indian Mission established at nearby Fort St. Joseph in the late 1600’s. Reestablished at Bertrand, three miles south of Niles, in the 1830s, the mission moved into town in 1849 and was . . . — Map (db m1606) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1902 — Second Baptist Church
In 1851 the Reverends J.W. Hackley and D.G. Lett organized the Second Baptist Church under the Anti-Slavery Baptist Association. The first of four churches—a log building—was erected on the southeast corner of Sixth and Ferry streets. In . . . — Map (db m1607) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0062 — Trinity Church
This is the oldest existing church structure in Niles, located in the oldest Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Western Michigan. The first Episcopal service in Niles was conducted by Bishop Philander Chase in 1832. The parish was organized in 1834. . . . — Map (db m1634) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0734 — Wesley United Methodist Church
In 1839 circuit riders from Ohio began preaching in Niles, using the barroom of a local hotel. In 1832 nine worshipers formed the Methodist class that grew to be the Wesley United Methodist Church. They dedicated their first house of worship in . . . — Map (db m1605) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Union Pier — L2179 — Gordon Beach Inn
Built in 1924 by Louis and Lena Gordon, and expanded four years later, Gordon Beach Inn was the centerpiece of the Jewish resort subdivision of the same name. The Gordons operated the inn for a decade before losing it during the Great Depression. . . . — Map (db m64829) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L657A/281 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival-style brick church in 1869 at . . . — Map (db m122218) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Girard Township — L2015 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodists held the first religious services in Girard Township. Organized in 1832 by the Reverend Ezekiel Gavit, a circuit rider, the congregation met in homes and a school until a church was built in 1844. When that structure burned in 1887 it was . . . — Map (db m65812) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — L2190 — First Congregational Church
On March 7, 1837, the Reverend Calvin Clark of Homer led sixteen people in organizing the First Congregational Church of Union City. The congregation is likely the oldest of this denomination in the state. This Romanesque Revival building dates from . . . — Map (db m65805) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — L1835 — Union City Methodist Episcopal Church
(Side One) During 1836-37, cabinetmaker David Hull led the organization of the township's first religious society. Circuit-riding ministers held services for Union City's fledgling Methodist congregation on alternate Sundays. The group . . . — Map (db m65806) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 1695 — First Presbyterian Church
(Front) In February 1837 the Reverend Calvin Clark, a circuit riding pastor sent by the American Home Missionary Society, met with twenty-four persons and organized the Albion Presbyterian Church. The first church was built in 1840 on the . . . — Map (db m28378) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Battle Creek — 1252 — James and Ellen White
James S. and Ellen G. White were among the founders of the General Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, which was organized in Battle Creek in 1863. Long participants in the Adventist movement, they cam to Battle Creek in 1855 when the . . . — Map (db m144851) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1226 — First Baptist Church
The Reverend Thomas Z.R. Jones, a traveling missionary, began visiting the Marshall area in 1838. On January 16, 1840, he helped organize the First Baptist Church of Marshall with eight members. The group erected this church in 1850-51. They . . . — Map (db m28377) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 454 — John D. Pierce Homesite
On this foundation stood the log house of the Reverend John D. Pierce. Born in New Hampshire, Pierce moved to Marshall in 1831, where he founded the Congregational church. In 1834 he and Isaac Crary designed Michigan's school system, and from 1836 . . . — Map (db m28394) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L1352 — Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery
In the 1830s southern runaway slaves bound for freedom in Canada came into Michigan near Cassopolis. In 1840, Cass County's Quaker community, which provided a haven for the fugitives, became an integral part of the Underground Railroad. Many free . . . — Map (db m64712) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1977 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
Circuit-riding ministers established a Methodist class in Silver Creek Township in 1843. Five families attended the earliest meetings, held in the home of Leroy L. Curtis, the first class leader. In 1844 the Reverend David Whitlock was appointed . . . — Map (db m64737) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L348 — Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church
Chief Leopold Pokagon and his tribe of Potawatomi Indians built a log church here in 1838 and deeded the forty acres of land on which it stood to the Catholic Bishop of Detroit. Pokagon, who came to Silver Creek Township from his village outside of . . . — Map (db m64735) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1028A — St. Paul's Church / Episcopal Church
(Obverse Side) St. Paul's Church Under the leadership of Justus Gage (1805-1875), this structure was built as a Universalist church. Completed at a cost of $3,000, it is Dowagiac's oldest public building. At the time of completion, . . . — Map (db m64731) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L652A — Smith's Chapel
The first Methodist church in Milton Township was organized in 1839. The following year, this church was built and named Smith's Chapel to honor Canon Smith, who had contributed generously to the construction of the church. Smith, a native of . . . — Map (db m64740) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L2079/354 — The Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
In 1831, Luther Humphrey of the American Home Missionary Society organized the Presbyterian Church of Edwardsburg. He described the village as "a few log cabins...standing amongst the bushes and brush." Members worshipped in homes until the chapel . . . — Map (db m122217) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Jones — L1817C — Poe's Corners
In 1835, George Poe (1779-1851) emigrated from Crawford County, Ohio, and settled on land deeded to him by the U.S. government. Within two years he acquired 520 acres of land in Newberg Township. Many members of the Poe family settled in this . . . — Map (db m64546) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Pokagon — L668 — Methodist Episcopal Church / The Old Rugged Cross
(Obverse Side) Methodist Episcopal Church Circuit-riding Methodist ministers held religious services in Pokagon Township during the 1830s and 1840s. A class was organized in Sumnerville in 1840. In 1876 the Methodists purchased . . . — Map (db m64747) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Vandalia — Birch Lake Meeting House
Quakers from the mid-Atlantic region settled here during the 1830's. This is the site of the meeting house, built in 1856, which replaced a log cabin dating from 1837. The congregation contained many active Abolitionists, and this area soon became . . . — Map (db m68407) HM
Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — L1930 — The First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church was formed in 1882. Members purchased this lot in 1883, and the building was completed in 1885. Church women held social fundraisers to help finance its cost. The building features rare Stick style motifs. The . . . — Map (db m98093) HM

Michigan (Clare County), Clare — L1909 — Clare Congregational Church
Saginaw architect William T. Cooper designed this church in a Greek cross plan. The church, built in 1909, is one of only a few in Michigan that reflect how early twentieth-century Protestants adopted the architecture of the fifth- and sixth-century . . . — Map (db m98777) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — L114 — Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid
Village of Ovid In 1836, inhabitants of Ovid, Seneca Falls County, New York, began to settle this fertile farm area. Among them were Samuel Barker, who built his log cabin in "Section 6;" Jabez Denison, noted for his prowess in killing . . . — Map (db m119352) HM
Michigan (Crawford County), Grayling — L2270 — Michelson Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1882, residents of Grayling built the town's first church for the Methodist Episcopal congregation that had organized in 1879. In 1918, local lumberman Nels Michelson donated funds to erect a large brick church in honor of his late wife, . . . — Map (db m95652) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — Italians in Dickinson County
Iron Mining began on the Menominee range in 1879, and soon after the first Italians arrived. They were primarily from Piedmont, Trentino, Lombardy, Venetia, Abruzzo Molise, Latium, Friuli, Calabria, Sicily, Emilia-Romagna, and Liguria. By 1910 they . . . — Map (db m143660) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — L0661 — Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes / Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church
Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries Italian immigrants came to Iron Mountain to work in the iron mines. In 1890, Italian Catholics from the community’s north side organized what was . . . — Map (db m106024) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1371 — Center Eaton United Methodist Church
On November 30, 1878, the local Methodist class purchased land for a church from Benjamin and Catherine Spotts for $25.00. Church men cut and hewed the logs for the building. The Reverend B. E. Paddock dedicated the church on November 10, 1881. . . . — Map (db m126010) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L187 — First Congregational Church of Charlotte
This handsome brick church was completed in 1881. Seven persons organized the congregation in 1851 in nearby Carmel Township. Moving to Charlotte the next year, they held services in the wooden courthouse and in 1856 built the city's first place of . . . — Map (db m121366) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2154 — Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
Side 1 Served for many years by circuit riding ministers, the Methodist congregation dates from 1838, making it Charlotte's oldest religious society. People worshipped at the home of Jonathan Searles, in a temporary courtroom in the Eagle . . . — Map (db m121387) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Potterville — L1296 — The Potterville United Methodist Church
Side 1 The Potterville United Methodist Church was organized after the Reverend Hiram Nichols held a revival meeting in Potterville in 1867. The congregation appointed a building committee in 1875 and began work on the church in the spring . . . — Map (db m125966) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — S0151A — Bay View / Bay View Association

(Side A) Bay View Bay View comprises one of Michigan's most spectacular collections of Victorian era architecture. Sweeping verandas and stately turrets characterize the Queen Anne style evident in the cottages and public buildings. . . . — Map (db m97487) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — John M. Hall AuditoriumBay View - Est. 1875

John M. Hall, a young attorney from Flint, was elected as superintendent of the Chautauqua Educational Department of Bay View in 1885. After nearly three decades as superintendent of the Bay View assembly, the Bay View University and . . . — Map (db m97486) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church

The Cross Village Presbyterian Church was first organized on February 19, 1888, and dedicated in October of 1890. In 1918, a fire that destroyed much of the town also consumed the church. The church was rebuilt in 1921 as the results of the . . . — Map (db m97854) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — 37 — Missionaries at MackinacMackinaw City Historical Pathway
Roman Catholicism came to the Straits of Mackinac through the self-sacrificing efforts of seventeenth-century Jesuit Missionaries. In 1670 Father Jacques Marquette established a mission for Huron Indians on Mackinac Island. An . . . — Map (db m135112) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — Middle VillageAapatawaaing — M-119 Tunnel of Trees Scenic Heritage Route —

The church below, built in 1889, stand[s] in the vicinity of the first Jesuit mission of 1741, which was rebuilt by local Waganakising Odawak carpenters and craftsmen in 1825 — Map (db m97789) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — Middle Village

Built in 1889... The church below is the third to stand in the vicinity of the first Jesuit mission in 1741. It was rebuilt by the Indians in 1825 . . . — Map (db m97791) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — St. Ignatius MissionAapatawaaing — (Middle Village) —

Built in 1889 the third church to stand in the vicinity of the first Jesuit Mission in 1741 — Map (db m97811) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — L0491 — St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemeterychi-twah Ignatius nuh-ma guh-mik

(Side A) St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery By the 1740s, French Catholic missionaries had come to this area, known to the Odawa as Waganakising, to minister to local tribes. Later, missionary work was taken up by others, . . . — Map (db m97790) HM

Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L1387 — Fenton United Methodist Church
In March 1837 the Reverend Washington Jackson formed a Methodist congregation in Dibbleville (present-day Fenton) at the home of Levi Warren. Warren donated land and the first church was built in 1853. Its brick walls collapsed during the . . . — Map (db m94759) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L2019 — Saint Jude's Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1858, the Reverend Henry Banwell held Fenton's first Episcopal service for the Ladies Mite Society. The society formally organized as Saint Jude's Episcopal Church on July 18, 1859. In 1860 members built their first church on this site, . . . — Map (db m94716) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — L371 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
The Reverend Daniel Brown came to this area in 1839 to help form a new Episcopal parish. He became the first rector of St. Paul's in 1840 when it received canonical sanction. The congregation met in a temporary chapel and then in a small church . . . — Map (db m121202) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2180 — E. S. Swayze Drugstore
E. S. Swayze opened a drugstore on this site prior to 1870. When the store burned in 1874, Swayze built this one. Members of the Free Methodist Church used the second-floor meeting hall for services from 1887 to 1890. In 1903 Masonic Lodge #401 and . . . — Map (db m33728) HM
Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission — The Old Mission Church

This building is a replica of the original mission church which was erected in 1839 by the Reverend Peter Dougherty, a Presbyterian missionary, who came here from Mackinaw to establish the first mission in this part of the country. Originally . . . — Map (db m98195) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Central United Methodist ChurchMichigan Sesquicentennial Organization

This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Central United Methodist Church Founded in 1858 For more than 150 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m98227) HM

Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1275 — College Baptist Church
This church was incorporated as the First Free Will Baptist Church on November 24, 1855. The congregation met at the Hillsdale College Chapel until the present church was constructed in 1867-68. This Romanesque building was designed by a Chicago . . . — Map (db m32250) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1985 — Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
In 1839 Episcopalians held the first church service in Hillsdale. Saint Peter's Church was organized in 1844. The original Gothic Revival church dates from 1859 and forms the sanctuary of the present church. Saint Peter's housed the first pipe organ . . . — Map (db m33602) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1645 — St. Anthony's Catholic Church
The origins of Catholicism in Hillsdale County date to the 1840s when Irishmen who worked for the Southern Railroad settled here. In 1853 the Reverend Joseph Kindekens of Adrian and eighty-five people organized St. Anthony's parish. The former . . . — Map (db m33601) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 84 — Grace Episcopal Church
William N. Lyster, Irish-born missionary, preached in Jonesville in 1836, and Darius Barker organized the parish in 1838. A church featuring Classical and Gothic styling was begun in 1844 and consecrated by Bishop Samuel McCoskry in 1848. Panelling . . . — Map (db m32190) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Litchfield — L814 — Congregational Church of Litchfield
Twenty charter members, led by the Reverend Elisha Buck, established this church on July 14, 1839. Founded as a Presbyterian mission, it was reorganized under the congregational polity by the Reverend J.J. Bliss in 1844. At first, worship services . . . — Map (db m63316) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Mosherville — L653A — Mosherville Church / Mosherville School
(Obverse Side) Mosherville Church The Mosherville Church was built in 1861-62 on land donated by Joseph and Mary Riggs. Originally part of the Litchfield circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church, it became the home church of a . . . — Map (db m66790) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — L1089 — St. Paul the Apostle Church
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was established in 1889 by Slovenian immigrants who came to the area to work in the mines of the Copper Country. The wood frame church erected by the parish in 1890 was destroyed by fire in 1902. The following year . . . — Map (db m76302) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Hancock — S211 — Old Main / Suomi College
Old Main (marker side 1) Suomi College was founded in 1896 by the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. The cornerstone of Old Main, the first building erected at Suomi College, was laid on May 30, 1898. Jacobsville . . . — Map (db m122387) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — L1319 — Trinity Episcopal Church
Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine . . . — Map (db m76306) HM
Michigan (Huron County), Sebewaing — L24 — The Indian Mission
Here, on July 1, 1845, three Lutheran missionaries, Reverend Johann J. F. Auch, Reverend J. Simon Dumser, and Reverend George Sinke, arrived. The Lutheran leader, Reverend Friedrich Schmid, sent them from Ann Arbor to evangelize the Chippewa . . . — Map (db m131772) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1502 — Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin / St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin Affectionately known as Father Mac, the Reverend Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin (1904-1987) was associated with Lansing area Catholics for nearly 45 years. A native of Ubly, he was ordained in 1932. Father Mac . . . — Map (db m102974) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Haslett — L1015 — Williamston Center United Methodist Church
The Williamston Center United Methodist Church is the out-growth of a Methodist class that met in a local schoolhouse before this structure was completed. On November 5, 1877, members of the congregation pledged money to build this church. Merrit . . . — Map (db m106405) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L790A — Central United Methodist Church
The first recorded Methodist meeting in Lansing was held in 1845 when the Reverend Lewis Coburn preached in the log cabin of Joab Page of North Lansing. In 1850 a Methodist class (congregation) was formed in what is now central Lansing. Its first . . . — Map (db m103630) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1632 — Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels
Church of the Resurrection On June 15 1922, the Most Reverend Michael J. Gallagher, bishop of Detroit, sent Father John A. Gabriels to Lansing to establish a Catholic parish east of the Pere Marquette railroad tracks that would include East . . . — Map (db m103656) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1471C — First Presbyterian Church
Side A This church, Lansing's first congregation to affiliate nationally (with the Marshall Presbytery), was founded on December 17, 1847. It was organized by the Reverend Calvin Clark, an agent for the American Home Missionary Society. . . . — Map (db m103502) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S0455 — Malcolm X Homesite
Malcolm X, born Malcolm Little in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1925, lived on this site in the 1930's. His early life was marked by the violent death of his father, the Reverend Earl Little, on the Michigan Avenue streetcar tracks. Under severe economic . . . — Map (db m104016) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1353 — North Presbyterian Church
Side A On October 19, 1863, fourteen members of Lansing’s First Presbyterian Church signed the Articles of Association creating the Franklin Street Church Society. The society acquired a lot for a church from James Turner, a merchant and . . . — Map (db m131709) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1689 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Side A In 1848, soon after the Michigan legislature relocated the state capital to Lansing Township, an Episcopal society met in the new capitol, located at Washington Avenue and Allegan Street. The society which became a parish in 1856, . . . — Map (db m103358) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L0987 — Trinity A.M.E. Church
Side 1 Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church of Lansing is the oldest black church in the city. Its first services were held in a building on North Washington Avenue. The church formally organized by the Reverend Mr. Henderson of . . . — Map (db m103654) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — L1918 — Saint Mary Parish
(Side 1) Beginning in the 1850s, Williamston Catholics worshipped with visiting priests. They often traveled ten miles by carriage or horseback on rutted, muddy roads to Saint Patrick Church in Woodhull (present-day Shaftsburg) to worship . . . — Map (db m84588) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), Oscoda — First Methodist Church
Erected in 1865 A.D. by the pioneer lumberman, Henry Martin Loud, who in that year founded in this area one of the largest lumber operations in Michigan. The church burned in the fire which destroyed the town of Au Sable and most of the adjoining . . . — Map (db m123971) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — July 4th 1661
July 4th 1661 As a matter of conjecture Father Menard somewhere along this river either died or was murdered while on his way southward from L’Anse to visit the Menominee Indians — Map (db m125036) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L1657 — Sacred Heart Academy
In 1889, Sacred Heart Academy was organized as a school for St. Charles Church, which was established in 1872. That year a new church was built here and the parish was renamed Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father John J. Crowley moved the old church . . . — Map (db m91751) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L189 — St. John's Episcopal Church
A mission was organized in Mount Pleasant in 1876, and in 1882 the present building was begun. Local businessman William N. Brown contributed most of the building funds, and the bricks and lumber were made in his plants. The interior design of St. . . . — Map (db m91749) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L853 — Brooklyn Presbyterian Church
Thirteen lay members founded the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn in 1838. The Reverend C.W. Gurney became the church's first installed pastor in 1841. Dedicatory services for the church were held on October 7, 1845. Built with hand-hewn beams . . . — Map (db m84885) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L29 — Brooklyn's Founder
This village was founded by the Rev. Calvin Swain, who filed the first land claim on June 16, 1832. Elder Swain, who had been a chaplain in the War of 1812, was a Baptist minister and the postmaster in Adamsville, New York, before coming to Michigan . . . — Map (db m84886) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L2068 — Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church
Concord Universalists (Side 1) After migrating from the East, primarily New York State, thirteen families brought their faith to Concord and formed a Universalist Society in 1854. Society members erected this building in 1866 and . . . — Map (db m78876) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1171 — First Baptist Church
In 1834 thirteen Jackson pioneers established the Barry-Jackson Baptist Church in Sandstone Township. Five years later the Reverend David Hendee and seventeen members of that church formed the First Baptist Church in Jackson. Meetings were held in . . . — Map (db m54348) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1410 — First Congregational Church
This monumental Romanesque Revival church was erected in 1859 according to plans by architect Horatio N. White of Syracuse, New York. It is this congregation's third church. In 1871 the building was raised eight feet to accommodate lower-level . . . — Map (db m54349) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L2166 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
The origins of the First United Methodist Church can be traced to 1831 when preacher Elijah Pilcher arrived in “Jacksonburgh” to serve the town's growing Methodist community. Services were held around town until a small church was . . . — Map (db m54374) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L0587 — St. John's Church
Constructed in 1857, St. John's is the oldest Catholic Church in Jackson and was the only church of this denomination in this city until 1901. Bishop Peter Paul Lefevre laid the cornerstone for this structure in 1856. St. John's began as a mission . . . — Map (db m55417) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L0885 — St. Mary Star of the Sea Church
In 1880 Bishop Casper Henry Borgess of the Detroit Diocese approved the establishment of a second Catholic parish in the city of Jackson. The cornerstone ceremony for the parish church was held July 4, 1881. The present limestone Romanesque . . . — Map (db m55220) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1221 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
On December 8, 1838, the founders of St. Paul's Parish met and began the task of drafting the Articles of Organization for a “new Protestant society.” The Parish of St. Paul's Church was officially established with the signing by . . . — Map (db m54646) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Cooper Township — L1445B — Cooper Congregational Church
(Side One) In 1843 the Reverends Mason Knappen and Ova Hoyt organized the Cooper Congregational Church with families from New York and Vermont. Church founders included Laura Blanchard, John and Betsy Borden, Mace, Nancy and John Borden, . . . — Map (db m68817) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Galesburg — L767A — Congregational United Church of Christ
This congregation has held services continually since 1832. In 1852 it was formally organized as an offshoot of the First Presbyterian Church of nearby Comstock. Later that year the church's name was changed to the First Congregational Church. It . . . — Map (db m68813) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L338 — First Baptist Church
(Side One) Constructed in 1853, this is the oldest church building in Kalamazoo. Titus Bronson, the city’s founder, donated this site on Church Square. The Baptist faith reached the Kalamazoo River Valley in 1826 when missionary Leonard . . . — Map (db m74522) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L1528 — First United Methodist Church
(Side One) In 1830 the Reverend James T. Robe, a young Methodist circuit rider, delivered the first sermon in the village of Bronson, later Kalamazoo, at the home of the town’s founder, Titus Bronson. After his appointment to the . . . — Map (db m74489) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Richland — First Religious Service in Kalamazoo County
This tablet commemorates the first religious service held in Kalamazoo County. It was conducted by John Barnes and Seldon Norton in May 1830, under an oak one and one half miles southeast of Richland Village. — Map (db m68827) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Richland — L835A/368 — The First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
(Side One) Settlers from Hudson, Ohio, came to the Richland area (then known as Gull Prairie) in 1830. A year later, a Presbyterian congregation was organized. Established under the 1801 Plan of Union adopted by the Presbyterians and . . . — Map (db m122219) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L1683C — Central Reformed Church
Side A Central Reformed Church was formed on April 23, 1918, by the merger of the first two Reformed churches in the Grand Rapids area: the First Reformed, an English-speaking church organized in 1840; and the Second Reformed, a . . . — Map (db m99981) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L850A — First (Park) Congregational Church
Side A On September 18, 1836, twenty-two persons, under the direction of the Reverend Silas Woodbury of Kalamazoo, founded one of the first Protestant congregations in Grand Rapids. Initially a Presbyterian parish, the church was reorganized . . . — Map (db m99986) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L1162 — United Methodist Church
This handsome Romanesque structure was completed in 1897 for the Methodist Protestant Church of Columbiaville. Local Methodists, with the assistance of circuit riders, had organized the church some forty years earlier. In 1865 the congregation . . . — Map (db m101546) HM
Michigan (Leelanau County), Empire — 16 — Empire Methodist Church

The "Empire Methodist Church" - built in 1895. The Empire Area Methodists gathered here for services, Sunday school, weddings and funerals till their new church was built in 1963. It is now the Masonic Temple. — Map (db m98318) HM

Michigan (Leelanau County), Gills Pier — 1671 — St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery
St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery In the 1860s and 1870s settlers from Bohemia (now part of Czechoslovakia) came to this area and worked at the Leland Lake Superior Iron Foundry and the Gill sawmill. Catholics attended mass at the Holy Trinity . . . — Map (db m78883) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — 227 — Adrian College
Chartered on March 28, 1859, Adrian College traces its origins back to a Wesleyan Methodist theological institute founded at Leoni, Michigan in 1845. This institution later became Michigan Union College. Strongly antislavery in its sentiments, the . . . — Map (db m102933) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1844 — Adrian Monthly Meetinghouse / Raisin Valley Friends Church
Adrian Monthly Meetinghouse Quakers from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania settled in southeastern Michigan in the early nineteenth century. In June 1831 Adrian Quakers held their first meeting in the home of Darius Comstock. In 1834 . . . — Map (db m102686) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1381 — Second Baptist Church
In 1866 Laura Smith Haviland, a former abolitionist, persuaded several African Americans in Washington, DC. to migrate to Adrian. Three years later the Reverend A. I. J. Jackson led the settlers in founding the Second Baptist Church. The . . . — Map (db m102762) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L887 — St. John's Lutheran Church
The Reverend William Hatterstaedt helped organize St. John's Lutheran Church in 1847. Until their first church was completed in 1849, the original congregation, fourteen German families, met in a church that belonged to the Episcopalians. Services . . . — Map (db m102923) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L671 — St. Joseph's Catholic Church
German immigrants desiring to practice Catholicism in their native language founded St. Joseph's parish in 1863. Father John G. Ehrenstrasser became the first pastor in 1865. This handsome brick and stone church, the second house of worship for this . . . — Map (db m102734) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Cambridge Township — S611 — St. Joseph's Church / St. Joseph's Shrine
St. Joseph's Church St. Joseph's Church originated as a missionary church during the 1850s. Priests from Adrian, Clinton, Manchester, Tecumseh and Monroe served the parish until the first resident priest arrived in 1954. The original church, . . . — Map (db m84920) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Cambridge Township — L836 — St. Michael and All Angels Church
The Reverend William Narcissus Lyster founded St. Michael and All Angels Church in 1843. One of only four Episcopal clergy in Michigan at the time, Lyster established several churches in the area. In 1855 the Right Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, the . . . — Map (db m88402) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L875 — St. John's Episcopal Church
In 1835, under the leadership of the Reverend William N. Lyster, this church was founded as St. Patrick's Episcopal Church. The Reverend Lyster had organized a church in nearby Tecumseh in 1833, and this church was a mission of that pioneer parish . . . — Map (db m102573) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Palmyra — 1284 — Palmyra Presbyterian Church
Sixteen persons from Presbyterian congregations in Tecumseh, Blissfield and Adrian founded this church in 1836. The following year the Reverend John Walker became their minister. They held services in a schoolhouse on the west side of the River . . . — Map (db m132040) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — L2248 — St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick Calvary Cemetery
St. Patrick Church St. Patrick was the first church to serve Brighton area Catholics, many of whom were immigrants from Ireland. A simple log structure at the corner of McCabe and Silver Lake Roads built in 1838 was used by the congregation . . . — Map (db m107557) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — L1011 — St. Paul's
When the Reverend William A. Clark, D. D., purchased his land in Brighton Township, he set aside an acre as a church site and established a cemetery near it. In 1837 he organized an Episcopal group and conducted its first services in his orchard. . . . — Map (db m107623) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Hamburg — L0078 — St. Stephen's
St. Stephen's This building is one of the oldest Episcopal churches in Michigan. St. Stephen's parish was organized in 1844, and construction of the church began almost immediately. Hiram Raymond of Hamburg was the contractor, and building funds . . . — Map (db m67453) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Hamburg Township — S0583 — Hamburg / Edwin B. Winans
Side A: Hamburg The year 1831 marked the arrival of Hamburg's first settlers -- Felix Dunlavy, Jesse Hall, Calvin Jackson, Cornelius Miller and Herman Lake -- and their families. In 1835, Ann Arbor merchant E.F. Gray and Amariah . . . — Map (db m50165) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Oceola Township — L538 — St. John The Baptist Catholic Church
Irish immigrants founded a Catholic mission in Livingston County in 1843. The following year, two acres of land were purchased here and a log structure was erected for worship services. As the congregation grew it required a larger facility, and a . . . — Map (db m107751) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — 3 — Mission Church
This is one of Michigan's oldest Protestant churches. It was built in 1829-30 by the Presbyterian flock of Rev. Wm. M. Ferry, founder in 1823 of a nearby Indian mission. Robert Stuart and Henry Schoolcraft were lay leaders. About 1838 private owners . . . — Map (db m34913) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — S622 — Sainte Anne Church
In 1670, Jesuit Father Charles Dablon founded a birchbark mission chapel on Mackinac Island. The following year, Father Jacques Marquette relocated the mission at Saint Ignace. Abandoned in 1706 and restablished at Fort Michilimackinac around 1715, . . . — Map (db m96412) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Father Marquette Park Kiosk
The Jesuits Black Robes of the Wilderness In the 17th century the Society of Jesus (The Jesuits) sent missionaries to the far reaches of Asia, Africa, and the Americas. The Roman Catholic order was founded in 1537 by the Basque priest, . . . — Map (db m139445) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 41 — St. Ignace
Pere Marquette established in 1671 the Mission of St. Ignace. French troops soon after built Fort Buade. The state’s second oldest white village guarded the Straits while serving as the most important French fur post in the northwest. By 1706 both . . . — Map (db m34970) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 92 — St. Ignace Mission
In 1671 the mission of St. Ignace was established so that the Christian message could be brought to several thousand Indians living on this shore. The founder was Father Jacques Marquette, the Jesuit missionary. In 1673 he left on his great journey . . . — Map (db m139390) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Center Line — L1903 — Saint Clement Catholic Parish
Priests from Detroit served the Catholics of Kunrod's Corner, present-day Center Line, from 1852 to 1857. In 1854 Saint Clement Catholic Parish was founded, and a church was erected on land sold to the Diocese of Detroit by Hermann and Magthalina . . . — Map (db m106224) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Chesterfield Township — L1962 — Kolping Chapel
Father Joseph Wuest established the Detroit Chapter of the Catholic Kolping Society in 1926. Wuest inscribed "Honor by means of untiring work," on a plaque for this chapel, which he built in 1932. Constructed of stones and shells sent from Kolping . . . — Map (db m123236) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Davis — L804 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1844 the Reverend Jonathon Davis founded the Methodist Episcopal Church to serve the community of Davis, known then as the village of Brooklyn. In 1846 the congregation built the town's first church. The present one, which dates from 1895, is a . . . — Map (db m87612) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Eastpointe — L2123 — Immanuel Methodist Episcopal Church
German immigrants began organizing Methodist churches in Michigan in 1846. In 1849 a small group founded the Immanuel Methodist Church in Roseville to serve Detroit's northeast side. In 1933, when the Roseville church was razed to widen Gratiot . . . — Map (db m124524) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Eastpointe — L2093 — St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Erin Township's German immigrants first worshipped together in a log church amid an oak forest in 1846. The following year the Reverend John Friedrich Winkler helped organize St. Peter's church as a "country church" near Detroit. This is the third . . . — Map (db m124572) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Fraser — L2278C — St. John Lutheran Church and Schools
Side 1 In 1864, local residents asked Pastor Herman Lemke of East Detroit to help them organize a Lutheran church in Fraser. That same year, they built a small wood frame building on land south of 14 Mile Road. Each week after Sunday service, . . . — Map (db m111062) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L412 — Grace Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Diocese of Michigan sent Edward Magee to Mount Clemens in 1849. The interest generated by this missionary visit culminated a year later when the Grace Episcopal congregation was formed. In December of that year Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m85763) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — 1925 — Methodist Episcopal Church
When this Collegiate Gothic Church, designed by Cleveland architect Herman W. Maurer, was dedicated during the week of of January 3, 1926, the Mount Clemens Daily Leader called it a "Monument to Unity of Action." Over a century earlier, in 1820, the . . . — Map (db m32093) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1251 — Zion Church
Side 1 Organized on July 3, 1854, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was the first German Protestant congregation in Mount Clemens. Its founding trustees were John Rossow and Abraham Devantier from Prussia, John William Miller and Carsten . . . — Map (db m85723) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — L1389 — Religious Society Church
The First Religious Society of Ray organized in 1869 and built this church on land donated by Arad Freeman, a member of Ray's founding families. Known for a time as the Ray Union Church, it originally had a steeple, and was similar in design to the . . . — Map (db m34016) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Richmond — L393 — Richmond Center for the Performing Arts
Built in 1887, this structure formerly served as the First Congregational Church. When the congregation merged with St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1973, it sold the building to the Richmond Community Theatre. That group adapted the . . . — Map (db m123721) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — L927 — Simpson Park Campground
Side 1 In the early nineteenth century Methodists began holding camp meetings, an outgrowth of their early revivals. Revival services were held during the winter months, and late summer was generally reserved for the district camp meeting. . . . — Map (db m123303) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — L906 — Erin United Presbyterian Church
Under the leadership of the Reverend Harry N. Bissell of Mount Clemens, several families organized the First Presbyterian Church of Erin in 1860. The original thirteen members held their first services in a small schoolhouse. They were the first . . . — Map (db m110738) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — L1354 — Sacred Heart Church
On June 1, 1861, the Reverend Amandus Van Den Driessche, from the Detroit Diocese, helped establish a Catholic mission at Utica Junction (now Roseville). The Sacred Heart mission, composed of Irish, German, Belgian and French families, completed its . . . — Map (db m110679) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — St. Mark Lutheran ChurchMichigan Sesquicentennial Organization
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of St. Mark Lutheran Church founded in 1850 for more than 150 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m133958) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — S520 — Lake St. Clair (Lac Sainte Claire)
French explorers discovered and named Lake Saint Clair on August 12, 1679. Among the party of 34 men were voyageur Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle and Roman Catholic friar Father Louis Hennepin. Aboard the Griffon, the first sailing . . . — Map (db m102458) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Utica — L1799 — St. Lawrence Parish of Utica
In May 1866 the Reverend Amandus VanDenDriessche of Detroit recited Utica's first Catholic Mass. Forty Irish families at Utica Junction (present-day Roseville) formed what became a mission of Sacred Heart Parish. On August 15, 1874, Bishop C. H. . . . — Map (db m118891) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — First Baptist Church of Warren
This white frame pioneer church is one of the oldest buildings in the village of Warren. Remarkably the structure, as it stands, is of the original construction and materials. The church, built in 1857 by the Methodist congregation, was . . . — Map (db m91428) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — St. Paul United Church of Christ
About 1850 a small group, representing the Warren Township Outpost of St. Peter's Evangelical Church of Halfway, met in the old Methodist Church across Mound Road. In 1864 they organized as St. Paul Evangelical Church. This sanctuary was built in . . . — Map (db m106001) HM
Michigan (Manistee County), Arcadia — L2118 — Trinity Lutheran Church

In 1880 many Germans left Milwaukee and settled in Manistee County. Among them was lumberman Henry Starke, who vowed to return to Wisconsin if no Lutheran church could be found. Instead he helped to organize this congregation in 1881, and he . . . — Map (db m97463) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — L0253 — First Congregational Church

Willian Le Baron Jenney, eminent Chicago architect known as the "father of the skyscraper," designed this beautiful Romanesque church. Completed in 1892, it features vibrant stained glass windows, two of which are of Tiffany design. The soaring . . . — Map (db m97363) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — L0119 — Our Saviour's Lutheran Church

Organized as a Scandinavian congregation in 1868, Our Saviour's became a Danish church in 1875 and served the American Evangelical Lutheran Synod until 1962. First used for worship in 1869, the building escaped damage in the Fire of 1871 and . . . — Map (db m97378) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — L2051 — Swedish Lutheran Church
During the 1870s and 1880s, Ludington Swedes, Danes and Norwegians worshipped together as the Scandinavian Lutheran Society. In 1873 the society built a church where all three languages were spoken. The Swedes, who formed their own congregation on . . . — Map (db m106848) HM
Michigan (Mecosta County), Big Rapids — L1418 — First United Methodist Church
The First United Methodist Church was designed by W.E.N. Hunter, a Detroit architect who specialized in church designs. The domed Beaux Arts style building reflects a trend in using Early Christian architectural forms of the 4th and 5th centuries in . . . — Map (db m106753) HM
Michigan (Mecosta County), Big Rapids — L414 — St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
St. Andrew's Parish was organized in 1870, when Michigan's logging industry was flourishing. Among its early members were George Stearns, the mayor, and Thomas Lazell, the police magistrate. The simple white pine Gothic Revival church was built by . . . — Map (db m106747) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Dundee — L1837 — Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1860 the Reverend A.D. Herzberger of Monroe chartered this church with twenty-two members. The predominantly German congregation worshipped in a schoolhouse until the first church was completed in 1863. The present Gothic church, originally . . . — Map (db m100784) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — First Presbyterian Church
This Church, the first Protestant Church in this area and the first Presbyterian Church in Michigan, was organized January 13, 1820. “Minuteman” George Alford, of the Revolutionary War, was one of the charter members. The Rev. . . . — Map (db m127983) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — Lutherans In Monroe County
German pioneers who began settling this area in 1828 formed Monroe County's first Lutheran church here in 1834. The Rev. Friedrich Schmid became their first pastor, traveling by horseback from Ann Arbor. The growing congregation incorporated as Zoar . . . — Map (db m121795) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception
This church is the immediate successor to the first church of Monroe County, St Antoine aux Riviere Raisin (October 15, 1788), which was located two miles upriver. Construction of this church was begun in 1834. It was consecrated in 1839. The . . . — Map (db m67522) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L1500 — Congregational United Church of Christ
Lewiston developed in 1891-1892 around the Michelson and Hanson Lumber Company. Dr. U.H. Traver and George Tuxworth held the first religious meetings in the lumber camp. The Reverend A.M. Hills was sent by the Congregational Conference of Michigan . . . — Map (db m33303) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Bloomfield Hills — L1156 — The Academy of the Sacred Heart
Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five religious of the French order of the Sacred Heart came from New York to Detroit in 1851. The religious opened a school on Jefferson Avenue in June of that year with ten day students and . . . — Map (db m68347) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Clarkston — L37 — Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church
This church structure, one of the oldest in the Detroit Presbytery, was erected by a church building society which was organized on January 20, 1855. A fine example of the classic New England church, it was dedicated in June, 1856, as the house . . . — Map (db m134653) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Commerce Township — L1297 — Commerce United Methodist Congregation / Commerce United Methodist Church
Commerce United Methodist Congregation A Methodist Episcopal class, which later became a church society, was organized in Commerce in 1838. For many years, it was part of the Farmington Circuit. The Reverend Daniel C. Jacokes was the . . . — Map (db m99136) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — City of FarmingtonOriginal Historic District (designated by broken line) Settled 1824
Buildings and sites of historic interest
1. First Post Office, 1825 (23925 Farmington Road) 2. Approximate site of first school, 1826 3. Site of first saw mill, 1826 4. Oldest frame house in Farmington, 1824 5. Site of first . . . — Map (db m85016) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — 266 — First Quaker Meeting
In the 1820's, members of the Society of Friends played a key role in the settlement of several Michigan communities. Farmington was founded in 1824 by Arthur Power, a Quaker from Farmington, New York. In 1831, what was apparently Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m85104) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — L2195 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Sixteen pioneers organized the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1829. The congregation dedicated its first church building in 1844. When that church burned in 1920, Detroit architects and church members Wells Butterfield and his daughter Emily . . . — Map (db m85391) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — The Village Center
Two Indian Trails crossed at this point: the Orchard Lake Trail running north and south, and the Shiawassee Trail running east and west. In 1824, a Quaker settlement began to develop around this point. In the 1850's, the settlement expanded . . . — Map (db m85158) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — Franklin Community Church
"United Methodist in Affiliation Ecumenical in spirit" The first Franklin village church was organized in 1840 by Reverend Laban Smith. A building was constructed on German Mill Street and dedicated in 1863. This santuary was dedicated . . . — Map (db m98770) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lake Orion — 1059 — Howarth School
John Howarth provided the land on which this Greek Revival schoolhouse was built in 1859. The building served the community as a place of worship for the Howarth United Methodist Church and as an Oakland County school. The Methodists moved to a new . . . — Map (db m78025) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lake Orion — L212 — Lake Orion Methodist Church
Methodist missionaries preached here in the 1820s, and in 1833 a class was organized. Services were held in homes and schoolhouses, and in 1853 several denominations combined to build a union church. The cornerstone of the present building was . . . — Map (db m133647) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ortonville — L1066 — Ortonville Methodist Episcopal Church
In June 1850 an eleven-member Methodist class was organized here as the Hadley Circuit of the Detroit District. B. F. Prichard was the pastor; M. H. Filmore, the class leader; and James Shaw, the presiding elder. That year the group built a stone . . . — Map (db m108869) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oxford — 1176 — Seymour Lake Methodist Episcopal Church
The local Methodist society, organized in 1837 at the house of Joseph Shurter, met in residences and schoolhouses for nearly four decades. In 1871, Irene Gibbs donated this land for its use. The church's cornerstone was laid on May 29, 1874. Lumber . . . — Map (db m77806) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1610 — First Baptist Church of Royal Oak
(Side 1) Several members of this church were significant to its early development. In 1839 charter member Hamlet Harris, "a free colored person" according to the 1840 census, donated $25.00 towards the construction of the first church. . . . — Map (db m85288) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1562 — Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1918, the Royal Oak Tribune boasted that, "architecturally and artistically," the new Methodist Episcopal Church was "the achievement of a master mind." William E. N. Hunter, a Detroit architect and Methodist who designed many . . . — Map (db m34270) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Church of Saint Bede
Here once stood the former catholic "Church of Saint Bede" "Saint Bede" was part of a convent and school that serviced the surrounding community for over 50 years — Map (db m119736) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1365 — Congregation Shaarey Zedek
In 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War, seventeen followers of Traditional Judaism withdrew from the Beth El Society in Detroit to found the "Shaarey Zedek Society." In 1877 the membership constructed the first building in Michigan to be erected . . . — Map (db m109907) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical SiteSouthfield Methodist Episcopal Church
On this site in 1856, this little white frame building was erected by members and friends of the Southfield Methodist Episcopal Church. The building and horse sheds suffered severe damage by a tornado in 1925. In 1941 the Gleaner Society raised . . . — Map (db m109980) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical SitePresbyterian Church
This marker is placed on this site in recognition of many years of continuous use as a place of worship. In the year of 1852 this site was donated by Ezekiel Hutton to the congregation. Their first building was moved to the site. Ten years . . . — Map (db m110103) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L2026 — Southfield United Presbyterian Church
In 1850 seventeen Irish immigrants met in the home of Matthew Erwin Sr. and organized what became the Southfield United Presbyterian Church. Two years later they relocated a vacant church building to this site and met there until the present Greek . . . — Map (db m110056) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — The Covenanter Church / The Underground RailroadThis Page in Our History
The Covenanter Church Southfield Reformed Presbyterian Church In 1834, Scots-Irish pioneer settlers from New York established the Church in Southfield Township. The Reverend James Neill served as the first pastor from 1842 until . . . — Map (db m144087) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — L507 — Barn Church
Built by William Lakie as a dairy barn in 1912, this structure is now a church. At one time the electric interurban railway ran past this barn and picked up milk cans gathered from surrounding farms. After the Presbyterian Church purchased the . . . — Map (db m95558) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Waterford — L61 — Four Towns Methodist Church
Four Towns received its name because it is near the point where the townships of West Bloomfield, Commerce, Waterford, and White Lake meet. In 1866 a frame schoolhouse was built here, on land donated by Nathan R. Colvin. From that year until 1930 . . . — Map (db m46645) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — The Pentwater Methodist Church
1875   Pentwater's first church built in 1866 was destroyed by fire. Parishoners from that Methodist church planned to rebuild.   The new church was designed by Grand Rapids architects Robins and Barnaby at a cost of $3,500.   . . . — Map (db m107305) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — L1635 — First Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church is the oldest congregation in Gaylord. In 1874 the Reverend James McKay founded it as a mission church with twenty-one members. It was officially organized three years later. In 1878 the Reverend Abram Van Auken . . . — Map (db m33351) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — 2149 — St. Mary's Catholic Church
St. Mary's Church began as a mission of the Catholic diocese of Grand Rapids. The first church was built around 1884. The parish grew to become a predominantly Polish congregation while under the pastorate of Father Casimir Skory (1892-1905). In . . . — Map (db m33374) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — L1780 — Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church
In 1865, The Holland Church, the city's first Christian Reformed congregation, was founded. In 1866 the group bought this lot on what was then Market Street and moved a school here to use as a church. The following year the congregation built a new . . . — Map (db m67736) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — HB37 — Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church
Side 1 Dedicated on June 25, 1856, this church was built under the leadership of the Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder and the first pastor of the Holland colony. Jacobus Schrader designed the Greek Revival style building using native . . . — Map (db m89287) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — HB49 — Third Reformed Church
Side 1: Under the leadership of the Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder of the Holland colony, the Third Reformed Church was organized on September 9, 1867. The first house of worship, measuring 90' long, 56' wide, and 32' high, was . . . — Map (db m67571) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — S124 — Saint Andrew's Parish / Saint Andrew's Church
Saint Andrew's Parish Beginning in 1845 the Reverend Andrew Jamieson, an Anglican missionary, served Saint John the Baptist Church on nearby Walpole Island, Ontario. In the early 1860s, Jamieson (1814-1885) established a mission in Algonac. . . . — Map (db m123873) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — L0546 — Holy Cross Parish
Father Gabriel Richard received this triangular plot of land by way of a grant from President John Quincy Adams on April 1, 1825. This area, known as Catholic Point, contains, among other buildings a church, a rectory, a convent, the former high . . . — Map (db m41196) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — L1506 — Methodist Episcopal Church
(Side A) This congregation dates from 1849, when people worshipped in log barracks within Fort Gratiot. Known as the Mission of Fort Gratiot, it was served by circuit riders until 1859 when the Reverend Samuel Clemens began his tenure. The . . . — Map (db m41198) HM
Michigan (Sanilac County), Croswell — L514 — Trinity Church
This picturesque cobblestone building constructed in 1898 serves as the Croswell chapel of the Trinity Episcopal Church. Its interior features wooden arches and a rood screen between the nave and the chancel. This structure formerly called Christ . . . — Map (db m88855) HM
Michigan (Sanilac County), Lexington — S0421 — Trinity Church
This tall stately Gothic Style church with its elegant wood interior was built in 1874 during Sanilac County's great lumbering era. The Reverend A. B. Flower came to Lexington as a missionary in 1869 and started this congregation known as the Church . . . — Map (db m41205) HM
Michigan (Sanilac County), Port Sanilac — Museum Church
The Museum Church was moved here in 2005 from Forestville. Built in the late 1800's, our Museum Church served as a store, a meat market and a tavern before becoming a German Church in 1921. — Map (db m98919) HM
Michigan (Schoolcraft County), Thompson — Schoolcraft CountyMore to See
(1) Manistique Light and Boardwalk The East Breakwater Light , built in 1916, is 35 feet tall and stands at the harbor entrance of the Manistique River. Soon to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Light . . . — Map (db m105477) HM
Michigan (Shiawassee County), Owosso — L1806 — First Congregational Church and Society
In 1840 thirteen people founded a Presbyterian congregation on the principles of opposition to slavery and "total abstinence from all intoxicating liquors as a beverage." It was the first church established in Owosso. In 1853 the congregation . . . — Map (db m119496) HM

248 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 48
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020