Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Churches & Religion Historical Markers

363 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 163
 
Covenanter Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, April 16, 2019
Covenanter Church Marker
Ohio (Adams County), Cherry Fork — 3-1 — Covenanter Church1804
In 1804, a group of Scotch-Irish Covenanters from Rockbridge County, Virginia, erected a log church on this location. In 1805, they organized the Cherry Fork Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. Two brick churches were also built on this . . . — Map (db m133853) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 12-1 / 115 — First Presbyterian ChurchThomas Kirker — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
side A First Presbyterian Church The First Presbyterian Church of West Union, built in 1810, is known as the "Church of the Governors." Although the date is uncertain, the congregation was organized circa 1800 on Thomas Kirker's land on . . . — Map (db m122227) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 16-1 — West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham
Members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church settled in Adams County as early as 1797. The West Union congregation was organized in 1812, and a lot was purchased for the construction of a public house of worship. This brick church, . . . — Map (db m135303) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — 5- 3 — Founding of Ashland College / Ashland Eagles Tradition
Founding of Ashland College The dream of establishing a college was born in the hearts of members of the German Brethren Church. In March 1877, a meeting was held at the Maple Grove Brethren Church to discuss the establishment of a college in . . . — Map (db m97072) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 8- 3 — Historic Mifflin
Side A Mifflin was founded in 1816. Originally known as Petersburg, the name was changed in 1827 in honor of the settlers that moved here from Mifflin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The first village jailhouse and crossroad . . . — Map (db m97113) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1147Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1893-1896 Scandinavian House Saloon, Johnannes Gudmunson 1907-1912 O. Benson Saloon, confectioner 1918 Guy Dominico, barber 1926 Marine Electrical Supply 1931 Wayne r. Sironen, auto . . . — Map (db m132338) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Mother of Sorrows Church
Mother of Sorrows Church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132294) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Ohio University's Distinguished Visitors
Susan Brownell Anthony Woman Suffrage Leader Visited October 19, 1878 "To secure both national and 'domestic tranquility,' to 'establish justice,' to carry out the spirit of our Constitution, put into the hands of all women....the . . . — Map (db m53838) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — The Log Church
This was the site of the first Stallostown Mission Catholic Church in Minster, completed in 1835. The brick wall surrounding the gazebo is representative of the footprint, measuring approximately 40 feet wide and 60 feet long. It was 16 logs high . . . — Map (db m100144) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 8-6 — Sts. Peter and Paul ChurchMother Church of the Petersburg Parishes
Saints Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg (1835), was the mother church for St. Joseph, Wapakoneta; St. John the Evangelist, Fryburg; St. Lawrence, Rhine; and Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Botkins. All were founded by German-Catholic . . . — Map (db m119322) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 8-7 — Captina African Methodist Episcopal Cemetery
This cemetery stands as evidence of a once thriving African American farming community established in the 1820s. With the aid of community leader, Alexander "Sandy" Harper (c.1804-1889), Captina, originally called Guinea, became a stop on the . . . — Map (db m79263) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 18-7 — Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider / The First United Methodist Church, Bellaire
Side 1 Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider Cornelius D. Battelle was born July 13, 1807 in Washington County, Ohio. He entered the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 30, 1825 and the Pittsburgh Methodist Conference in . . . — Map (db m78493) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Colerain — Concord HicksiteFriends Meeting House
Colerain Township was the location of the earliest Quaker settlement and the first organized Friends Meeting in Ohio. The first meeting house was built in 1800. The log structure burned and was replaced with this brick building in 1815. The . . . — Map (db m89234) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — The Residence of General Granville Moody“The Fighting Parson”
This tablet marks the residence of General Granville Moody, ‘The Fighting Parson,’ preacher and soldier. At the laying of the cornerstone of the Methodist Church, like Elijah of old, he prayed that an impending storm be stayed, and the clouds hung . . . — Map (db m135503) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Bethany — 19-9 — First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
Side A: First Jain Temple in Ohio "Souls render service to one another" The Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton was established on April 22, 1979 as a non-profit tax-exempt organization under the laws of the United States and the State of . . . — Map (db m24073) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 2-9 — Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873Historic Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery
William Holmes McGuffey, author of the Eclectic Series of Readers, was ordained a Presbyterian minister in a log meeting house on this site in 1829. The ordination was performed by Robert Bishop, President of Miami University, and other ministers . . . — Map (db m107745) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Trinity Episcopal Church
An Episcopal Congregation was first established in Hamilton in 1823 as part of a missionary movement under Bishop Philander Chase who later became the founder of Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. The present building was designed by Cincinnati . . . — Map (db m122284) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Millville — 2-9 — Bethel Chapel1815 - 1873
William Holmes McGuffey, author of the Eclectic Series of Readers, was ordained a Presbyterian minister in a log meeting house on this site in 1829. The ordination was performed by Robert Bishop, President of Miami University, and other ministers . . . — Map (db m24060) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Miltonville — 5-9 — Village of Miltonville
The village of Miltonville, located along the banks of Elk Creek, was platted in 1816 by George Bennett, Theophilus Eaglesfield, and Richard V. V. Crane. The creek served two grist mills, one built around 1804 and operated by a free black, Bambo . . . — Map (db m28776) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 33-9 — Bunker Hill Universalist Church/Bunker Hill Cemetery
(side A) Bunker Hill Universalist Church The Bunker Hill Society was organized about 1845 and fellowshipped in 1854. A frame meeting house, capable of seating 300, was dedicated in 1855. Thirty people united with the church . . . — Map (db m107789) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 34- 9 — Indian Creek Baptist ChurchThe Indian Creek Pioneer Burial Ground
Side A The Indian Creek Regular Baptist Church was established in 1810 as an arm of the Little Cedar Creek Church of Brookville, Indiana. The congregation purchased three acres of land for a burial ground and church and built a log structure . . . — Map (db m120291) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 23-9 — The Restoration Movement / Doty Settlement Cemetery
Side A: The Restoration Movement In the early years of the nineteenth century, a religious unrest known as the Second Great Awakening spread across much of the American frontier. Among the most influential of the evolving religious . . . — Map (db m24051) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Shandon — 17-9 — Paddy's Run
The foundation for the first Welsh settlement in Ohio was laid on June 29, 1801, when William and Morgan Gwilym purchased land in what is now Morgan Township at the Cincinnati Land Office. The Welsh, who settled in Pennsylvania beginning in the late . . . — Map (db m23991) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Trenton — 18-9 — The Village of Trenton / The Elk Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery
Side A: The Village of Trenton Platted 1816. Incorporated as Village 1895. Became a city 1971 Trenton's founder, Michael Pearce, came to the area in 1801. The original village of 33 lots was named Bloomfield. When the post office was . . . — Map (db m28792) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Woodsdale — The Amish Mennonite Settlement
. . . — Map (db m122555) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 25-11 — Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church
The Mechanicsburg United Methodist congregation was founded in the early nineteenth century and met first in open-air camp meetings before moving into a small log school building. In 1820 the congregation built a wood framed church on East Sandusky . . . — Map (db m13730) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 19-11 — Second Baptist Church
Side A: This site has long served the religious, education, and public interests of the residents of Mechanicsburg. A local Methodist congregation built its first church here in 1820, and the townspeople also used the structure as its . . . — Map (db m13731) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), North Lewisburg — 20- 11 — Friends Church / Friends Cemetery
Friends Church Among the earliest settlers to Rush Township were members of the Religious Society of Friends or Quakers, who emigrated from the eastern states, mostly Pennsylvania and North Carolina. At first religious services were held in . . . — Map (db m86266) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 5-11 — Bailey and Barclay Halls / Johnny Appleseed
Side A: Bailey and Barclay Halls Urbana University was established by the Swedenborgian Church in 1850. Bailey Hall (1853), named after Francis Bailey (1735-1815), was designed by W. Russell West, architect of the Statehouse of Ohio. Bailey . . . — Map (db m13808) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 12- 11 — Kings Creek Baptist Church
Side A The founders of what would become the Kings Creek Baptist Church first met on June 29, 1805 in the log home of local residents James and Ann Turner. The Baptist congregation continued to meet in people's homes until 1816 when . . . — Map (db m84858) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), West Liberty — 10-11 — Mt. Tabor Church / Mt. Tabor Cemetery
Mt. Tabor Church Side A: The first Mt. Tabor Church, a log meetinghouse, was erected on this site in 1816. It stood on land originally selected by Griffith and Martha Evans for a graveyard at the death of their daughter circa 1812. Deeds show . . . — Map (db m13769) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Woodstock — 31-11 — Universalist ChurchClassic Architecture and Art in Rural Ohio
Rev. George Messenger and his congregation built the first Universalist Church on this site. It was dedicated during a state convention of Universalists in Woodstock in June 1844. In 1893, Rev. John A. Carpenter was instrumental in erecting a . . . — Map (db m85116) HM
Ohio (Clark County), New Carlisle — Honey Creek Presbyterian ChurchOriginal Site
Original site of Honey Creek Presbyterian Church Founded 1804 Dedicated June 13, 1999 — Map (db m80678) HM
Ohio (Clark County), New Carlisle — 183 — Honey Creek Presbyterian Historical MarkerRegistered Site #183 — Current Location of Historical Congregation —
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site #183 registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society Philadelphia, Pa. — Map (db m121348) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Asbury Methodist Church — Memories in rural Clark County, Ohio —
Site of Asbury Methodist Church 1840- 1907 — Map (db m79498) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Site of Springfield's First Church1805           1955
Site of Springfield's First Church Placed by Central Methodist Church October 16, 1955 — Map (db m13912) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Chapel- Mt. Moriah

United Methodist Church. Organized in 1835 as the Methodist Protestant Church of Tobasco. Meetings were held in a schoolhouse until 1842, when the church erected this small brick . . . — Map (db m99694) HM

Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — 1-13 — First Methodist ChurchOldest in the Old Northwest Territory
Founded in 1797 in the log cabin of the Reverend Francis McCormick, the Milford Methodist Church is the oldest of the denomination in the Northwest Territory and Ohio. Pioneer worshipers walked many miles through the wilderness to attend its circuit . . . — Map (db m99541) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford
Home of first Methodist class in Northwest Territory, 1797 — Map (db m133625) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Franklin ChapelClermont County — Bicentennial Marker —
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Franklin Chapel This Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1854 under the direction of Rev. J.L. Holtzinger at a cost of $1,665. The belfry and church bell were added in Dec.1884. — Map (db m99886) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 8-13 — Mt. Zion Chapel / Mt. Zion Cemetery - Lafayette School
Mt. Zion Chapel The Mount Zion Chapel of the Christian Church was built in 1872 on this hill adjacent to the members' cemetery outside of Clermontville. The site was part of a two-acre parcel that had been secured from the farm of William R. . . . — Map (db m99887) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Owensville — Owensville Village Hall
The Owensville Village Hall was built as a Methodist Episcopal in 1859 and later housed a Church of Christ. The village purchased the building in 1988 and utilizes it as village hall. On July 14, 1863, Confederate States General John Hunt Morgan’s . . . — Map (db m95616) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Chester Township — 12-14 — Jonah’s Run Baptist Church / Underwood Farms Rural Historic District
Jonah’s Run Baptist Church. The comingling of faiths in an area settled predominantly by Quakers helps explain the origins of Jonah’s Run Baptist Church. Ministered to by a Baptist preacher, the children and neighbors of Daniel Collett . . . — Map (db m141498) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — "Who Sends Thee?"
“One day while plowing I heard a voice,” whether inside me or outside of me I knew not, but I was awake. It said, ‘Go thou and see the president.’ I answered, ‘Yea, Lord, thy servant heareth.’ and unhitching my plow, I went . . . — Map (db m28002) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — 5-14 — Wilmington College
The 19th century saw a great migration of Quakers from the Carolinas and from eastern Ohio to southwestern Ohio. Attracted by rich soil and abundance of fresh water and springs, Quakers became the dominant religious group in the region. Clinton . . . — Map (db m27837) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — Bradshaw's Hall
A town hall built in 1850, which served as a community building and home of the first services of the First Methodist Protestant church. The church was organized in 1855 and occupied the building until 1923 when it was purchased and torn down by the . . . — Map (db m44149) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — Diamond Theater
In 1907, the First United Presyterian Church was converted into retail shops (1st floor) and a theater (2nd floor) called the Bijou, later renamed the Diamond. Vaudeville and 10 minute movies were featured. It closed in 1920. — Map (db m44154) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — 5-15 — Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio
About a mile south in St. Paul's Cemetery, the Reverend Father Edward J. Fenwick, "Pioneer Apostle of Ohio," organized the first Catholic parish in northern Ohio. The first mass was celebrated in the log house of Daniel McCallister. A century and a . . . — Map (db m66536) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — St. Philip Nerisince 1817 — “The Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio” —
St. Philip Neri Parish Est. 1817 Church 1849 Bell Tower 1899 150th Anniversary 1999 — Map (db m118724) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Daniel Boyd House - c.1825
This house was built c.1825 by Daniel Boyd, a weaver. Some time in the 1830s, and in the face of financial difficulties, Daniel and Jane Boyd deeded the house to the Methodist Episcopal Church to be the church parsonage. Originally located in . . . — Map (db m27368) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Bay Village — 135-18 — Dover Lake Shore Methodist Episcopal Church
Elizabeth Tyron Sadler started the Methodist Episcopal Church in North Dover Township in June 1827, on land owned by her father-in-law Christopher Sadler. Charter members were the Rev. Eliphalet and Mrs. Margaret Johnson and their daughter . . . — Map (db m134266) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 18-82 — First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea
Seven original members, who were staunch abolitionists, organized the First Congregational Church of Berea in the nearby Union School House on June 9, 1855. These members publicly articulated opposition to slavery and their desire for a church with . . . — Map (db m3539) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 122-18 — Ogilvy Chapel of St. Thomas Episcopal Church
This “little gem of a stone church,” built and dedicated in 1893, is constructed of locally quarried, rusticated Berea sandstone blocks. A Celtic cross at the top of the west wall represented the areas of Great Britain from which . . . — Map (db m134169) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 55-18 — 'Abdu'l-Bahá and the Bahá'í Faith
'Abdu'l-Bahá (1844-1921) visited Cleveland on His historic journeys to Europe and North America to proclaim the message of His Father, Bahá'u'liáh, Prophet-Founder of the Bahá'í Faith. Together they suffered 40 years of imprisonment and exile, which . . . — Map (db m17950) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Benjamin Rose1828-1908
Briton, industrialist and philanthropist who came to Cleveland in 1848. Formed the Cleveland Provision Company in 1875, Cleveland's largest meat packer. Pioneered meat shipping using refrigerated cars. Built the Rose Building, E. 9th and Prospect, . . . — Map (db m12116) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Broadway / Slavic Village
North and South Broadway were originally part of Newburgh Township, organized in 1814 as one of the earliest settlements in Cuyahoga County. The contruction of the Ohio & Erie Canal and later railroads led to industrial and commercial growth, . . . — Map (db m21073) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 130-18 — Saint Ignatius High School
In 1886, Bishop Richard Gilmour (1824-1891) of the Roman Catholic diocese of Cleveland requested that the Jesuit superior of Buffalo establish a high school on Cleveland’s west side. The Jesuits, an order of the Roman Catholic Church founded by . . . — Map (db m136938) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Shaker Gate PostPeriod 1830
This is one of several stone gate posts which stood before the buildings of the Middle Family of Shakers near what is now Shaker Boulevard and Lee Road. The post was found under an old cherry tree at that site. Placed in Shaker Square October 22, . . . — Map (db m17818) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Shaker Gristmill Site
In 1844 the Shakers of North Union, Ohio, built a five-story gristmill on the north side of the Doan Brook Ravine adjacent to this marker. Water from the dam at the west end of the Lower Shaker Lake powered the mill. For many years it served the . . . — Map (db m11826) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — Shaker Mill StonePeriod 1837
Found at the site of the Shaker saw mill foundations on Coventry Road adjacent to Shaker Lake. The saw mill, destroyed by fire, was converted to grain milling in 1886 using this stone from the original Shaker grist mill. Placed in Shaker Square . . . — Map (db m11848) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 66-18 — The Old Stone Church
Religious worship began on this site in 1820 as a Plan of the Union Sunday School with ministers recruited by the Connecticut Home Missionary Society. Its first stone church, officially known as the First Presbyterian Church of Cleveland, was built . . . — Map (db m17864) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 89-18 — Woodland Cemetery
[side A] Howard Daniels, who lived from 1815-1863, was a noted architect and landscape gardener. Over the course of his life, he designed six Ohio and New York cemeteries, including Woodland that began in 1852 when he laid out 20 of its 60 . . . — Map (db m21002) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Old Stone Church of Independence Sesquicentennial

A Community of Faith

1855-2005

Celebration of

the past, the present, the future ———————————— Independence Presbyterian Church

Founded 1837 . . . — Map (db m137917) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), North Olmsted — 10-18 — Coe Ridge
In 1823, Asher and Abigail Coe migrated from Connecticut and settled here. By mid-century the Coe family operated the second largest dairy farm in Ohio. Their home was used as a post office in 1843. The Universalist Church, built in 1847 at . . . — Map (db m43341) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), North Olmsted — 94-18 — First Universalist Church
The Universalist religious movement spread across Ohio as the state was settled in the 1800s. Universalists proclaimed a loving God and universal salvation. Believers were sometimes scorned as “no-Hell-ers.” Olmsted’s First Universalist . . . — Map (db m134225) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), North Olmsted — 88-18 — Joseph Peake's Farmca. 1840-1863
Side A: Joseph Peake was born in Pennsylvania in 1792 and came to Ohio in 1809 with his parents and brother. They were the first African Americans to settle permanently in the Cleveland area. He was the son of George Peake, a runaway slave from . . . — Map (db m43348) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Pepper Lake — Saint Angela Merici
Leader in the education of women. — Map (db m137100) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Pepper Lake — 62-18 — Ursuline College1871
The first women’s college chartered in the state of Ohio, Ursuline College opened in 1871 in downtown Cleveland as part of the educational mission of the Order of St. Ursula (O.S.U.). Founded in Italy in 1535 with an early presence in North America, . . . — Map (db m137093) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Shaker Heights — East FamilyNorth Union Society of Shakers — December 3, 1837 - September 23, 1872 —
This site marks the location of the main dwelling of the East or Gathering Family established for the expressed purpose of gathering souls "out of the world". Here the new converts were "proved awhile" until they convinced the elders and eldresses . . . — Map (db m10422) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Shaker Heights — 67-18 — Horseshoe Lake
In 1822, Ralph Russell, a Connecticut pioneer who had settled in Warrensville Township ten years earlier, founded the North Union Shaker Community. The Shakers created Horseshoe Lake in 1852 when they built a dam across Doan Brook and harnessed its . . . — Map (db m10423) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Shaker Heights — Shaker Gate PostsPeriod 1830
These two original gate posts mark the entrance to a field once used by the Middle Family of Shakers, who resided in this vicinity. This tablet erected September 21, 1948, commemorating the 126th anniversary of the North Union Society of Shakers. . . . — Map (db m17824) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Shaker Heights — Site of Center FamilyNorth Union Society of Shakers
. . . — Map (db m9676) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Shaker Heights — This Tablet Marks the Final Resting Place of the Shakers of the North Union Society
This tablet marks the final resting place of the Shakers of the North Union Society. Their remains were moved from the Shaker burial ground on South Park Boulevard to this cemetery in 1909. "Do all your work as though you had a thousand years to . . . — Map (db m18034) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Solon — 107-18 — Solon Town CenterDisciples of Christ Church 1845-1951
In 1845. the Disciples of Christ built the first of three churches to occupy this site. They built a second. larger structure, to replace the original in 1858. On August 6th. 1860. 29 year-old circuit minister Brother James A. Garfield. the future . . . — Map (db m103474) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Strongsville — 48-18 — Pomeroy House
The Pomeroy House, built from 1847 to 1848, was the home of Alanson Pomeroy and his wife, Kezia. They continued the tradition, known as "Pomeroy Hospitality," that began when Alanson's parents established a tavern in Strongsville. Prominent in the . . . — Map (db m43386) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), University Heights — 104-18 — John Carroll UniversityFounded in 1886
John Carroll University opened its doors as Saint Ignatius College on September 6, 1888. Originally located on Cleveland’s West Side, the College was founded at the request of Bishop Richard Gilmour by German members of the Society of Jesus (the . . . — Map (db m137063) HM
Ohio (Darke County), Versailles — St. Denis Parish - St. Valbert CemeteryOld St. Valbert Parish
On this site in 1839, on 1 ½ aces, kindly donated by Nickolas Marchal, a log church 32 ft. x 40 ft. x 18 ft. high was built by he and his sons. It was to be called St. Valbert Parish.

It was the first Catholic Church in this area and . . . — Map (db m120363) HM

Ohio (Defiance County), Defiance — Shawnee Glen
Shawnee Glen 1792 Home of Johnny Appleseed 1828 Morningside Park — Map (db m28405) HM
Ohio (Defiance County), Hicksville — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Church 1875 National Historical Site Marked in 1990 Hicksville Historical Society & Capt. George Athey Chpt., CDXVIIC — Map (db m53221) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Africa — 6-21 — Africa Community
Marker Front: Samuel Patterson arrived in East Orange in 1824 and, within a few years, began to hide runaway slaves in his home. He also invited anti-slavery speakers to the pulpit of the East Orange Methodist Church, which brought . . . — Map (db m20550) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 8-21 — Elliott HallOriginal Building at Ohio Wesleyan University
Built in 1833 as a health resort named the Mansion House Hotel, Elliott Hall is noted as Ohio's oldest collegiate Greek Revival building. The closure of the Bank of the United States and an economic panic in 1837 created nation-wide financial . . . — Map (db m12822) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Old Stone Church
This original Old Stone Church bell welcomed familes to worship for 140 years It was replaced after the church fire in 1989 — Map (db m89484) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Radnor Presbyterian Log Church
Site of the Radnor Presbyterian Log Church, of the Joint Delaware- Liberty- Radnor Congregation built 1819 Distinguished Sunday School Missionary Benjamin W. Chidlaw was a member of this church 1829- 1836 erected 1960 — Map (db m89485) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The Sulphur Spring
Ohio Wesleyan owes its location to the initial efforts to establish a resort for healing purposes on the site of the Sulphur Spring. When the business faltered, Adam Poe, a pastor and several citizens purchased it and gave it to the Methodists for a . . . — Map (db m18313) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 13-21 — Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized in 1845, Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Delaware, with Reverend Daniel Winslow serving as the first minister. In 1853 the cornerstone of the first church was laid, which was . . . — Map (db m12823) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Hyatts — 12-21 — Bharatiya Hindu Temple
[Marker Front]: In 1985, Hindu immigrants from India formed a celestial organization, The Bharatiya Temple Society of Central Ohio, and through its membership adopted the Constitution and Bylaws and named the place of worship Bharatiya . . . — Map (db m12819) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Lewis Center — 122-25 — First Jain Temple in Central Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
First Jain Temple in Central Ohio “Souls render service to one another” The Jain Center of Central Ohio was established on May 12, 1991. The foundation stone of the Jain temple, the first of its kind in Central Ohio, was laid . . . — Map (db m105528) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Lewis Center — 15-21/342 — Liberty Presbyterian Church / Nathan CarpenterAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
(Side A:) Liberty Presbyterian Church Founded in 1810 The first religious society organized in Liberty Township was formed in 1810 by Elders Thomas Cellar, Josiah McKinnie, and Leonard Monroe. Cellar and McKinnie came to Delaware in . . . — Map (db m122231) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — 9-21 — Sunbury, Ohio / Sunbury Town Hall
Side A: Sunbury, Ohio “An Ohio Stagecoach Town from 1820-1873” From its beginning in 1816, Sunbury was destined to be a stagecoach town. Anticipating large numbers of stagecoach travelers in Sunbury, the town's founder, Lawrence . . . — Map (db m18304) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Westerville — 3-12 — Sharp Family Homes
Marker Front: The Sharp family homes and their locations on N. State Street and Africa Road mark an important route through Westerville on the Underground Railroad. The family patriarch, Garrit Sharp, was an original settler of Sharp's . . . — Map (db m20552) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 10-22 — Christ Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Society of Huron was organized in 1837, the Rev. F. M. Levenworth, pastor. The cornerstone of this building was laid on May 23, 1838; it is the oldest church building in Huron, standing near what had been the original southern limit of . . . — Map (db m141643) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Kelleys Island — 29-22 — The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage — Old Stone Church —
The German Reformed Church was organized on Kelleys Island in 1865. The congregation built this church from island stone in 1866 on ½ acre of land purchased from Alfred S. and Hannah Kelley. By 1871, the congregation, one of five on the . . . — Map (db m142131) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 9-22 — Grace Episcopal Church
This building was begun in 1835 and was completed in 1844. It is the oldest church building in continual use in Sandusky and incorporates a portion of the original structure. This marker commemorated the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m79103) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 30-22 — Holy Angels Catholic Church
Holy Angels Catholic Church is the mother church of Sandusky. Reverend Joseph P. Machebeuf, a French Missionary, began ministering to Catholics in the Sandusky area in late 1839. Soon after William H. Mills offered five lots, $530, and the . . . — Map (db m142162) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Knute Rockne Wedding
Legendary University of Notre Dame Head Football Coach Knute Rockne married Bonnie Skiles of Kenton, Ohio in the rectory of Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church on July 15, 1914. Father William F. Murphy officiated. The two met in the summer of . . . — Map (db m141931) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 6-22 — Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818
The Methodist Episcopal Church pioneered organized religion in Perkins Township 1811, then in Sandusky when the Rev. Alfred Brunson preached the city’s first sermon in January, 1818. In 1829 the Methodists built Sandusky’s first church, on West . . . — Map (db m142005) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Village of Venice1816-1963
[Marker Front]: The first Venice flour mill was built on this site in 1822. Russell Heywood of Buffalo bought the mill in 1831 and rebuilt it in 1833. Fed by water from underground springs, the mill was in almost constant operation. . . . — Map (db m20476) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), Bremen — Wesley Chapel
Stone from area of Wesley Chapel • 1806 First edifice of the Bremen United Methodist Church First trustees Zebulon Holliday George Blosser Eli Gardner — Map (db m27106) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Lancaster Methodist Camp Ground Historic DistrictEstablished 1872
was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Sept. 10, 1987 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance. Originated at Logan 1872; moved to . . . — Map (db m52871) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Maple Street United Evangelical Chapel Cornerstone

This Cornerstone is from the original Maple Street United Evangelical Chapel which stood at the northeast corner of the alley on Maple Street between Main and Wheeling Streets ——— • . . . — Map (db m137730) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Saint Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church1864

Fairfield Heritage Association Historic Landmark Recognized by the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137744) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — St. Mary's Church Centennial1820 - 1920
Fist Mass, 1817 Lancaster, Ohio. —————— Sancta Maria, Ora Pro Nobis. — Map (db m61841) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — The Original Lancaster Methodist's Bell
...commissioned in 1849 to ring the praise of Almighty God from the steeple of the old M.E. Church on South Jackson (High) Street, this bell was relocated by the congregation to their present church in September 1907. Eventually displaced by . . . — Map (db m97373) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), New Strasburg — 2-23 — Pioneer Lutherans
The Israel Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized August 23, 1812. According to available records, in 1813 the first meeting in Ohio of the “Special Conferences” called by the Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania was held at the . . . — Map (db m13353) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Bloomingburg — Bloomingburg Area Underground Railroad
Side A

Recognized by many as “one of the most active communities in Southwestern Ohio, the Bloomingburg area was a significant link in the Underground Railroad. As many as twelve to sixteen escaped slaves were said to have been passed . . . — Map (db m121781) HM

Ohio (Fayette County), Bloomingburg — 5-24 — Bloomingburg Cemetery
The Bloomingburg Presbyterian Church and cemetery was established in the northwest corner of the current cemetery grounds on March 7, 1818. Several years later it became a center for anti-slavery activity. The Reverend William Dickey, who presided . . . — Map (db m27821) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Washington Court House — 6-24 — St. Colman Church and Cemetery
Irish railroad workers founded the Catholic community in Washington Court House in the 1850s, with the first Mass being held in a local shanty in 1852. In 1871, Father John B. O'Donoghue purchased three and 5/8 acres of land adjoining Washington . . . — Map (db m27834) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Washington Court House — The Judy Memorial Chapel
The Judy Memorial Chapel built 1905 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m27964) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — Capital UniversityTransforming Lives Through Higher Education
Founded in 1830 as a Lutheran Seminary and chartered as a University in 1850, Capital University offers diverse undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences and professional studies. Ethical, moral and religious values essential to . . . — Map (db m15784) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — 10-25 — Blendon Church Bell
This bell came from the Blendon Presbyterian Church (1830-1865) according to William C. Phelps (1881-1967), a great-great-grandson of Edward Phelps Sr. (1759-1840), first settler of Blendon Twp. and donor of the church land at the southwest corner . . . — Map (db m18059) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — 3-25 — Central College Presbyterian Church
This church was organized April 22, 1843, in conjunction with The Central College of Ohio on land donated by Squire Timothy Lee. The college, chartered in March, 1842, continued until 1892. This brick chapel was erected in 1870 under the . . . — Map (db m18062) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — The Ellsworth ChapelRichard D. Ellsworth
Dedicated with love and gratitude December 19, 1993 to the Reverend Richard D. Ellsworth by the congregation of Central College Presbyterian Church for more than thirty-five years of faithful service to the church and community. — Map (db m18060) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — “In This Churchyard…”
(side A) In this churchyard stood the first church of the community The First Presbyterian Church built and presented to the congregation in 1811 by Lucas Sullivant Here in this plot of ground, which he gave to the . . . — Map (db m88307) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Central Presbyterian Church

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m80011) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Father Rocco Petrarca
The Italian Community gratefully remembers Father Rocco Petrarca Pastor of St. John the Baptist Church from 1913 to 1948 “Flos Memoriae Lapide Perennior” — Map (db m14489) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent
For over a century, this site was part of St. Mary Catholic Church, established to serve the many German families moving into the area in the 1860s. A primary mission of St. Mary's parish has been the education of its children. The first . . . — Map (db m141818) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 70- 25 — Iskcon Krishna House
Side A In 1968, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) established the first practicing Vedic Temple in the state of Ohio. This building represents the beginning of a now growing population of Vaisnavas, worshipers of . . . — Map (db m94096) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — King Lincoln District Arch
The King Lincoln District was established in July 2002 to honor the historic heart and soul of Columbus’ African American community. This arch, welcoming all to the King Lincoln District, is dedicated to our shared history and our commitment to the . . . — Map (db m16965) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Maynard E. SensenbrennerHilltop
Dedicated July 4, 1992 by the Citizens of Columbus Maynard E. Sensenbrenner served four terms as mayor of the City of Columbus, 1954-1959 and 1964-1971, longer than any other mayor. During this time he was responsible for the farsighted . . . — Map (db m16960) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 50-25 — Monsignor John Joseph Jessing
Monsignor John Joseph Jessing, founder of the Pontifical College Josephinum, was born in Germany in 1836. He immigrated to America and, in 1870, was ordained a priest in Columbus. He published a newspaper, the Ohio Waisenfreund (Ohio Orphans' . . . — Map (db m12870) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 114- 25 — Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911 / Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University
Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911 The Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs founded Ohio Dominican University on this site on October 5, 1911. It was incorporated that year as the Ladies Literary Institute of St. Mary of the Springs, . . . — Map (db m94624) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 87-25 — Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista
Side A: Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli The National Italian Catholic parish of Saint John the Baptist was founded in October 1896 by the Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli, D.D. Father Cestelli was born in Fiesole, Italy and came to . . . — Map (db m14487) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 49-25 — Saint Mary of the Springs Academy / Anne O'Hare McCormick 1880-1954
Side A: Saint Mary of the Springs Academy On this site stood St. Mary of the Springs Academy, a school for girls first founded by the Dominican Sisters in 1830 in Somerset, Ohio, to respond to the educational needs of frontier Catholics. The . . . — Map (db m17387) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Second Baptist Church / James P. PoindexterHistoric Underground Railroad Site
Side A: Second Baptist Church - Columbus' Oldest Black Baptist Church, 1836 Second Baptist Church cordially received its independence as a mission church from the First Baptist Church on January 7, 1836. Rev. Ezekiel Fields was chosen as . . . — Map (db m17174) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 100-25 — Shiloh Baptist Church
The Shiloh Baptist Church was completed in 1923. Founded in 1869, Shiloh is the third oldest African-American church in Columbus and is a descendent of the Second Baptist Church. The church is located in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood, which is . . . — Map (db m17472) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Spirit of the SpringsSaint Mary of the Springs Academy
Honoring the history of Saint Mary of the Springs Academy founded 1830 flourished on this site 1868- 1966 Dedicated to the alumnae and the Dominican Sisters in celebration of the spirit that they have carried into the world — Map (db m94625) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — St. Joseph CathedralHeritage Tour
St. Joseph Cathedral November 11, 1866, the cornerstone of St. Joseph Cathedral was laid at the N.W. corner of E. Broad and 5th Sts. The beautiful gothic structure was completed n 1872. The consecration service took place October 20, 1878, a . . . — Map (db m98924) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 28-25 — St. Mary Church
St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus’ South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. . . . — Map (db m20522) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 73-25 — St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School
Side A:St. Patrick Church Built in 1852 and dedicated a year later, St. Patrick Church is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in Columbus. Founded as the English speaking parish, this church of Norman Gothic design served as the home . . . — Map (db m17474) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 68-25 — St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized in 1823 as Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, St. Paul A.M.E. Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Columbus. The church, founded by Moses Freeman and 13 other members from the Town Street Church, was originally . . . — Map (db m16963) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 42-25 — The Irish in Columbus
[Marker Front]: Thousands of Irish immigrants came to Columbus to seek personal and religious freedom. With the "Great Hunger" in Ireland and the completion of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, immigration to Columbus increased . . . — Map (db m12963) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Trinity Episcopal Church
First services of Trinity Episcopal Church were held May 3, 1817, in the residence of Dr. Lincoln Goodale, where later Columbus’ first Sunday School was founded. The first church building was built in 1831 one half block east of High on . . . — Map (db m98848) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Trinity Episcopal ChurchOriginal Site
Trinity Episcopal Church occupied this site from 1834 to 1869 — Map (db m98854) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 57-25 — Trinity Lutheran Seminary

The German Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, the first Lutheran theological seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains, began instruction under Pastor Wilhelm Schmidt in Canton in 1830. The seminary relocated to Columbus at . . . — Map (db m80014) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Wesley Chapel Methodist Church
This site was formerly occupied by the Wesley Chapel Methodist Church and its successor Central Methodist Church merged with Broad Street Methodist Church October 1935 — Map (db m98928) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Gahanna — John Clark House
Built on Granville Street in Mid 1800's as manse for Presbyterian Church. Most furnishings are original from Clark family (a founder of Gahanna). — Map (db m14450) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3981 BroadwayEst. 1915

Built by W.C. Grossman as the Kingdom Theater for Mrs. Jessie Köenig. OLPH owned and celebrated Mass in the building from 1954 to 1959. LTOB Players purchased the building in 1976. — Map (db m137682) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Lutherans in Jackson Township150th Anniversary of St. John's

1846 The Highland Mission was built. Lutherans organized a German and English congregation there in 1849. Built 1st church one block west in 1853 "St. Johannis Kirche." 1856 St. Paul's Lutheran (MoSyd) built on this site. About . . . — Map (db m137707) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — Groveport United Methodist Church
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Established 1836 — Map (db m50095) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Westerville — 9- 25 — Benjamin Russell Hanby1833- 1867
Song writer and minister of the United Brethren Church, Hanby was an Otterbein College graduate, class of 1858, known throughout the world for the inspiring songs, "Darling Nellie Gray," "Up on the Housetop," and "Who is He in Yonder . . . — Map (db m94133) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Westerville — 4-25 — Blendon Presbyterian Church
On this site the Blendon Presbyterian Church held services from 1830 to 1865 on land donated by Edward Phelps to the Blendon Township Trustees for church purposes. — Map (db m9574) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Westerville — OHS 122- 2 — Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell
Side A The first Blendon Presbyterian Church was located at the intersection of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads on what is part of Blendon Central Cemetery. Timothy Lee (1785-1862) donated land at the northeast corner for a church and cemetery. . . . — Map (db m107156) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Westerville — 6-25 — First Blendon Presbyterian Church
On this site in 1829 the Presbyterians of Blendon Township built their first church. The land was donated by Timothy Lee for “church and burial” purposes. The Reverend Ebenezer Washburn, buried here, was the first minister. The church . . . — Map (db m9567) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Westerville — Hanby HouseOne of Multiple Markers
While many American families defended slavery in the early nineteenth century, Benjamin Hanby’s family did not. Benjamin Hanby was born in July 1833 in Rushville, Ohio to Bishop William Hanby and Ann Miller Hanby. Ben’s father grew up in poverty . . . — Map (db m107209) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Westerville — Phelps Acre ParkOriginal Location of the Bell
Phelps Acre Park Dedicated October 24, 2015 We want to express our deep gratitude to the Central College Presbyterian Church for loaning us this historic church bell from one of Blendon Township’s first Presbyterian churches and placing it . . . — Map (db m107161) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Worthington — 54-25 — Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard
Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent In October of 1803, members of The Scioto Company, led by James Kilbourne, came from Connecticut and founded Worthington. On February 6, 1804, the Articles of Agreement establishing St. . . . — Map (db m12650) HM
Ohio (Gallia County), Bidwell — 17-27 — New Hope Baptist Church
The New Hope Baptist Church was organized around 1860, burned in 1863, and was rebuilt in the fall of 1864. Once called the Harris Colored Baptist Church, the edifice’s name “New Hope” was chosen because it represented the hope of . . . — Map (db m123142) HM
Ohio (Gallia County), Gallipolis — African Methodist Episcopal ChurchHistoric Underground Railroad Site
Side A: The African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1818 as the Bethel Church. In 1868 its present name, John Gee, was adopted when the church was erected and rededicated at this present site on land donated by Gee. Founders of . . . — Map (db m30582) HM
Ohio (Gallia County), Gallipolis — 13-27 — The Landing of the Welsh in Gallipolis
Side A: On April 1, 1818, six families from the Cilcennin area of Mid-Wales sailed from Aberaeron, Wales to Baltimore. The group of 36 people was led by John Jones Tirbach. From Baltimore they traveled to Pittsburgh and then by flatboats down . . . — Map (db m30501) HM
Ohio (Gallia County), Vinton — 15-27 — The Lambert Land Settlement
In November 1843 former slave Frank Lambert, along with 29 other former slaves, purchased 265.5 acres of land in Morgan Township. These African American settlers had once belonged to Charles Lambert Jr. of Bedford County, Virginia, but had been . . . — Map (db m30490) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Bainbridge Center — 4-28 — Bainbridge Center Historic District
Founded in 1817, Bainbridge Township was named for Commodore William Bainbridge, commander of the USS Constitution during the War of 1812. The unincorporated hamlet of Bainbridge Center is both the geographic and historic center of Bainbridge . . . — Map (db m122744) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — 10-28 — Burton Congregational Church
The Burton Congregational Church was organized in 1808 and met in several nearby locations before this present building was erected in 1836 at a cost of $4,000. It was originally located within the park directly opposite where it stands today, but . . . — Map (db m122754) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Huntsburg — 14-28 — First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC
Side A The First Congregational Church of Claridon has served the community since it was dedicated in the summer of 1832. Twenty-seven souls from the Burton Congregational Church petitioned to form their own church in Claridon in November . . . — Map (db m122786) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Newbury — 13-28 — South Newbury Union Chapel
Side A Called the "Cradle of Equal Suffrage" and "Free Speech Chapel," Union Chapel was to be "...open and free for all denominations, but to be monopolized by no one or to the exclusion of anyone." Built in 1858 or 1859 on land donated by . . . — Map (db m122751) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Newbury — This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel
Built by citizens of South Newbury, Ohio on land donated by Anson Mathews in 1856. This chapel was dedicated to Free Speech by James Abram Garfield Twentieth President of the United States Other speakers in this chapel were Susan B. . . . — Map (db m122752) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Dayton — 25- 29 — Mormon Migration, Kirkland Camp / Facts About Kirkland Camp
Mormon Migration, Kirkland Camp On July 28, 1838, the first and largest company of Mormon pioneers to migrate west camped along the Mad River near this site. Known as Kirtland Camp, the 515 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day . . . — Map (db m97244) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Wilberforce — 8-29 — Old Wilberforce University Campus at Tawawa Springs
Side A: In the early 1800s, William and Eleanor Kendall owned this land, known for its natural springs, beauty, and farmland. In 1850, Elias Drake, lawyer and former speaker in the Ohio General Assembly, purchased the property and named it . . . — Map (db m14058) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Wilberforce — 23-29 — Payne Theological Seminary
Payne Theological Seminary was originally established as Union Seminary in West Jefferson, Ohio, by the Ohio Conference of the African Methodist Church (AME) on October 18, 1844. The Cincinnati Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church North met . . . — Map (db m52891) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — Godfrey BrownMiddle Run Baptist Church — The Brown Settlement —
Godfrey Brown 1768 1843 “As to debts, thank God I owe no man anything but love”

Godfrey Brown was born a slave in Brunswick County, Virginia in the year of 1768. He yearned for freedom and was freed by his master on . . . — Map (db m95414) HM

Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — Stevenson Cemetery GateMassie Creek Scotch Associate Cemetery
Left Post1776   1931 James Stevenson donated the Associate Church   † three acres for church and cemetery purposes in 1804, to be known as Massie’s Creek Church lot and   † cemetery. The   Rev. . . . — Map (db m95429) HM WM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — 2- 29 — Union Meeting House Organized in 1807 / Union Seminary Organized in 1809
Union Meeting House Organized in 1807 On this site in 1809, pious Christians from Virginia and North Carolina erected a Methodist Church, the first in Greene County. The church was officially organized on May 23, 1807 as the Bonner Society. . . . — Map (db m91415) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Yellow Springs — 15-29 — Antioch College
Chartered in 1852 by the Christian Church and later a Unitarian institution, Antioch College opened with educational pioneer Horace Mann as its first president. One of the earliest co-educational colleges in the United States, from its inception . . . — Map (db m12471) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Yellow Springs — 6-29 — Moncure Daniel Conway / The Conway Colony
[Side A:] Moncure Daniel Conway Moncure Daniel Conway was born on March 17, 1832 in Stafford County, Virginia, the son of Walker Peyton and Margaret Daniel Conway. His father was a wealthy slaveholder and prominent state legislator and . . . — Map (db m13651) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — Dr. Charles E. Jefferson
On the site of this building Dr. Charles E. Jefferson, internationally known preacher, lecturer & author was born August 26, 1860. An advocate of world peace. — Map (db m1046) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — The First Methodist Church
Here the first Methodist Church was organized, 1808, in the home of Thomas Sarchet, leader of the original settlers from the Island of Guersey. — Map (db m1047) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Bottoms
A Neighborhood That No Longer Exists Cincinnati is a city of neighborhoods. One of them is very, very special—because it is no longer there. The Bottoms: a dense urban neighborhood full of churches, full of people. It ran from the River . . . — Map (db m24995) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 88-31 — Camp Joy
Side A Camp Joy was born at the site of Seven Hills Neighborhood House and original location of St. Barnabas Episcopal Mission Church. Displacement and loss caused by Ohio River flood of 1937 inspired St. Barnabas’ rector and his wife, . . . — Map (db m134938) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 32-31 — Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties
Side A: Cincinnati Public Markets Public markets housing butchers, fish merchants, and produce vendors were once the primary source of perishable foods for residents of America's cities. Cincinnati operated nine in 1859. Only Findlay Market, . . . — Map (db m24814) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Columbia Baptist Cemetery / ColumbiaFirst Settlement in Hamilton County
Columbia Baptist Cemetery On the higher ground at the end of this lane is Columbia Baptist Cemetery, the last resting place of many of the pioneers who came with Major Benjamin Stites and founded Columbia, November 18, 1788, the first . . . — Map (db m134948) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 52-31 — George Washington Williams
George Washington Williams was born in 1849 in Bedford, Pennsylvania. At age 14, he enlisted in the Union Army to fight in the Civil War and received a medical discharge in 1868. In 1874, he became the first African American to graduate from the . . . — Map (db m25125) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 44-31 — Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
Hebrew Union College (HUC), founded in Cincinnati in 1875, is the oldest institution of higher Jewish learning in the United States. Its founder, Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900), was a leading proponent of Reform Judaism in America. In 1950, the . . . — Map (db m24847) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Adams Pilgrim Chapel
Pilgrim Chapel began as a mission of the First Presbyterian Church in 1882. It was originally located in downtown Cincinnati. The Church was moved to Mt. Adams and has served the Protestant Community since its dedication on May 1, 1886. Catholics . . . — Map (db m113312) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Old Columbia Baptist Church and Meeting House
The first meetinghouse of the Columbia Baptist Church- the earliest in Ohio- stood on this site.

In 1787, Captain Benjamin Stites traveled down the Ohio River with supplies to assist the new settlements in Kentucky. Captain Stites ventured . . . — Map (db m135250) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Pioneer PillarFirst Church in the Northwest Territory
to the Pioneers landing near this spot, Nov. 18,1788 The Baptists of Columbia Township, in 1889 erect this pillar to commemorate the heroism and piety the first Baptist pioneers of 1788- 90 the first church in the Northwest territory was . . . — Map (db m135215) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 41-31 — Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise and the Plum Street Temple
This historic synagogue symbolizes the work of one of the most important figures in nineteenth-century American Jewry, Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900). The Bohemian-born rabbi's many achievements include the establishment of the Union of American . . . — Map (db m24089) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The "Church of the Steps" (Immaculata),
built in 1859, was constructed from stone quarried from the slopes of Mt. Adams. Early it was known as the "Archbishop's Church" in honor of Archbishop Purcell (1800-83) who donated the land and supervised construction. It was conceived as a votive . . . — Map (db m112918) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Athenaeum(St. Xavier College)
On this property in 1831 Bishop Edward Fenwick established a college known as the Anthenaeum and placed it under the patronage of St. Francis Xavier. In 1840 his seccessor, Bishop John Baptist Purcell, gave the College to members of . . . — Map (db m42659) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 4-31 — The Church / The Founder
The Church Families of Salem settlement first held services in Francis McCormick's log home. When he gave land in 1817 for a church and public school, they built a log church on this site, later replacing it with a brick building. In 1863 the . . . — Map (db m19922) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 46-31 — The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives
Dr. Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995), pioneering historian of the American Jew, founded the American Jewish Archives (AJA) in Cincinnati in 1947. In the aftermath of World War II and the brutal destruction of European Jewry, Marcus anticipated the . . . — Map (db m24849) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Tucker's StationOutpost on the Ohio Frontier — Anthony Wayne campsite —
In the year 1792, Henry Tucker started clearing land and erecting a Station House on the old Indian Trace in what is now the village of Woodlawn. He had purchased the land from John Cleves Symmes for two dollars per acre. Fear of Indian Attack drove . . . — Map (db m76291) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 9-32 — Findlay College
Side A: Findlay College was a joint venture of the Churches of God, General Conference, and the Village of Findlay. It was chartered on January 28, 1882, to provide a liberal arts education within a Christian context for all -- regardless . . . — Map (db m29182) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 22-32 — Mason Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Side A: In spite of small numbers and being welcomed by the mostly white congregation of First Methodist Episcopal Church, African Americans in Findlay in the 1880s wanted to express their faith in ways that best reflected their freedoms and . . . — Map (db m29179) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — St. Michael Parishin Commemoration of 150 Years — of service to Catholics in Findlay and Hancock County. —
St. Michael Parish officially began as a station of the Tiffin St. Mary Parish in 1839. Masses were celebrated in the homes of John Engelmann and John Julien. The first church, built on the corner of West Hardin and Cory Streets in 1856, was . . . — Map (db m146416) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — The University of Findlay
The University of Findlay was founded as Findlay College in 1882 by the Churches of God, General Conference and the City of Findlay Old Main opened on September 1, 1886, for the first classes. 125th Anniversary The University . . . — Map (db m29200) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — 19-32 — McComb First Presbyterian ChurchBuilt 1855-56
(side a) Organization of the congregation began in 1848 under the Rev. George Van Eman, and a charter was granted in 1854. The oldest Presbyterian church building in continuous use in Hancock County, the sanctuary was constructed in . . . — Map (db m93661) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — 12- 32 — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
This frame church, architecturally typical of the rural churches built throughout Ohio in the latter nineteenth century, was constructed in 1885 during the pastorate of E.L.T. Engers. The first pastors were from the German Reformed tradition and . . . — Map (db m93657) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Mt. Blanchard — 6- 32 — Mt. BlanchardJohnny Appleseed
Side A This village was founded in 1830 on the banks of the Blanchard River by Asa M. Lake, son of Asa Lake, veteran of the Revolution and War of 1812 and first settler of Delaware Township. The town and river are named for an . . . — Map (db m93927) HM
Ohio (Hardin County), Ada — 14-33 — Ohio Northern University
Henry Solomon Lehr founded Ohio Northern University in 1871 as the Northwestern Ohio Normal School. Its purpose was to train teachers and to provide higher education to the people in Northwest Ohio. In 1885, the school became Ohio Normal . . . — Map (db m29025) HM
Ohio (Harrison County), Cadiz — Bishop Matthew Simpson
Matthew Simpson, an eminent Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church, was born on June 21, 1811, in a log house which then stood on the north corner of Market and Main Streets in Cadiz. Simpson spent most of his youth in Cadiz where he gained a . . . — Map (db m36232) HM
Ohio (Harrison County), Cadiz — Cadiz, OhioThe Proudest Small Town in America
By producing many men of national prominence, more than any other community of similar size, Cadiz stands as a testament to the value of small town life to America.   Bob Burns, deeply grateful for his small town youth in Van Buren, Arkansas, . . . — Map (db m36267) HM
Ohio (Holmes County), Calmoutier — 2-38 — Calmoutier
Side A: This area, known as Calmoutier, was an early French Catholic farming community founded in 1832 by Claude Druhot, who came from Calmoutier, Hte-Saône, France. Its first native, the four-month-old Claude Joseph Druhot, was baptized on 9 . . . — Map (db m24492) HM
Ohio (Holmes County), Walnut Creek — 1-38 — Jonas Stutzman"Der Weiss" — 1-31-1788 - 10-18-1871 —
Jonas Stutzman, from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, came to this site in 1809 to clear land for farming and to build a log home for his family. He was the first permanent settler in the eastern portion of what would in 1825 become Holmes County. . . . — Map (db m24493) HM
Ohio (Huron County), Peru Township — 4-39 — Early Catholic Missionary Settlement
The Society of the Precious Blood, established in Italy in 1815, began its American ministry here in Peru in January 1844, led by Swiss missionary Father Francis de Sales Brunner. Continuing the work begun by the Redemptorists at St. Alphonse in . . . — Map (db m147180) HM
Ohio (Jackson County), Oak Hill — 10-40 — Welsh-American Heritage Museum / Old Welsh Congregational Church
Welsh-American Heritage Museum. In 1972 a group of Welsh-Americans chartered the Welsh-American Heritage Museum to preserve Welsh history and culture, and to preserve the Welsh Congregational Church. The old brick church was where songs of . . . — Map (db m132470) HM
Ohio (Jefferson County), Mount Pleasant — Quaker Meeting House
Panel one: What is a Quaker? “I went to many a priest to look for comfort, but found no comfort from them.” — George Fox recounting his spiritual journey in The Journal of George Fox. George Fox’s . . . — Map (db m37047) HM
Ohio (Jefferson County), Wintersville — 438 — John D. KilgoreTwo Ridges Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Brass plaque: The Bell located in the tower above was donated by John D. Kilgore in 1887. The following inscription is found on the bell: May the Glory of This Latter House Be Greater Than Any Former. Church Organized 1802. 12 . . . — Map (db m122234) HM
Ohio (Jefferson County), Wintersville — 49 — WintersvilleTwo Ridges Church and Friendly Fire — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
While en route to Wintersville on July 25, 1863, Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Confederate raiders stopped at the farm of Mrs. John Hanna for a short nap and meal. Working their way toward Wintersville through the area south of . . . — Map (db m79816) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Gambier — 1- 42 — Christ Church at the QuarryJanuary 18, 1863
The stone masons brought from England by Bishop Chase to construct the early buildings at Kenyon College settled in this area. In the 1850’s with the help of Episcopal Bishop Gregory T. Bedell, they and other families in the community built . . . — Map (db m94916) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Gambier — Gambier
In 1823, Ohio Episcopal Bishop Philander Chase purchased 8,000 acres of what he called the “beauty spot” of Knox County. Here, he founded Kenyon College, the first men's college west of the Allegheny Mountains, and the second oldest . . . — Map (db m13873) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Gambier — George Wharton Marriott
In grateful memory of George Wharton Marriott of London One of the earliest and most devoted of the English friends of Kenyon College. Through him Bishop Chase knew Lord Kenyon, Doctor Gaskin and Lady Rosse. In his honor these . . . — Map (db m13868) HM

363 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 163
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020