Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Entertainment Historical Markers

2786 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2586
 
Wilson Pickett Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 17, 2013
Wilson Pickett Marker Area
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Wilson Pickett, Jr.March 18, 1941 - January 19, 2006
A native of Prattville, Wilson Pickett was raised singing gospel in local churches. Upon moving to Detroit as a teenager, he began to blend gospel-style with rhythm and blues, resulting in some of "the deepest, funkiest soul music" to come from the . . . — Map (db m70804) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Orange Beach — Orange Beach, Alabama
Front: Orange Beach was named for the oranges that were grown here and exported until the hard-freezes of 1916. The orange groves are gone, but the name remained. Drawn here by the game they hunted, the early Indians discovered the . . . — Map (db m81851) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Georgiana — City of Georgiana / GA~ANA TheatreFounded in 1855 / Opened 1939
City of Georgiana Founded in 1855 Early settlers moved from Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia into the deep forests of southern Butler County. In 1855, the Rev. Pitt S. Milner established a home-stead and post . . . — Map (db m86265) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Georgiana — Hank Williams’ Boyhood Home / Thigpen’s Log Cabin Popular Dance Hall
Side 1 Hank Williams' Boyhood Home Hiram Williams lived in Georgiana from age 7 to 11. In 1931, Mrs. Lillie Williams moved Hiram and his sister Irene from rural Wilcox County to this house owned by Thaddeus B. Rose. When he . . . — Map (db m81276) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Muscle Shoals National Recreational Trail
The Muscle Shoals National Recreational Trail complex is a 17-mile paved and primitive trail and bikeway for public use located on TVA’s Muscle Shoals Reservation. This National Recreation Trail System connects numerous historical sites including . . . — Map (db m106117) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — The Singing River SculptureIn Muscle Shoals, Alabama
This sculpture is dedicated to the many individuals whose efforts made Muscle Shoals and the Muscle Shoals area the “Hit Recording Capital of the World,” and to those who continue that legacy. Legend of the Singing River The . . . — Map (db m95318) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Percy Sledge/Producer Quin Ivy"When A Man Loves A Woman" / NORALA and Quinvy Studios
(side 1) Percy Sledge "When A Man Loves A Woman" Hospital orderly Percy Sledge recorded 'When a Man Loves a Woman' at Quin Ivy's studio in 1966. Sledge's breakup with a girlfriend inspired the lyrics credited to songwriters . . . — Map (db m83390) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — The Singing River SculptureIn Sheffield, Alabama
This sculpture is dedicated to the many individuals whose efforts made Sheffield and the Muscle Shoals area the “Hit Recording Capital of the World,” and to those who continue that legacy. Legend of the Singing River The . . . — Map (db m95130) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Saltmarsh Hall
In the late 1850s, Cahaba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad. One of the first large brick structures built in this prosperous period was completed in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh. He wanted . . . — Map (db m23009) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Alabama"The Boys From Fort Payne" — 2006 Country Music Hall of Fame Inductee —
In the late '60s, cousins Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry discovered they shared a common interest in music. Joined by Jeff Cook, they started playing on a regular basis. Working their day jobs and playing any place they could locally in the evenings, . . . — Map (db m25277) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Fort Payne Opera House
Opened Sept. 1890. Built during local boom period. Converted into theatre during era of silent movies. Closed as a theatre in October, 1935. Purchased by Landmarks of DeKalb County, Inc. 1969. Renovated, restored and reopened to public in 1970. The . . . — Map (db m83686) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Alexander City — The Hank Williams Kowaliga Cabin1952
At this site stands the cabin where country music legend Hank Williams composed the song “Kaw-liga” in August, 1952. The song’s title was derived from the name of a Creek Indian town located on the banks of the Kowaliga Creek until 1836. . . . — Map (db m68038) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Ritz Theater
The Ritz Theater opened its doors on this site September 14, 1936, and for more than fifty (50) years prided itself as the “Hub of the Brewton Community.” Between its first feature, “YOURS FOR THE ASKING” and its last, . . . — Map (db m39206) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Gadsden Municipal Amphitheatre(Legion Park Bowl)
Built of local sandstone in 1935 on land obtained from the American Legion Post No. 5 this municipal amphitheatre seating about 1600 was constructed for staging theatrical and sporting events. Gadsden architect Paul W. Hofferbert designed the . . . — Map (db m39140) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — Bay Theater
T. A. Wilson built the theater in 1927. Since Red Bay had no electricity at that time, he used a Delco System. Shortly after, electricity became available and he had to switch from Delco to Alabama Power. When he first started in the business, he . . . — Map (db m83742) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Russellville — Historic Roxy Theatre
The Roxy Theatre was built in 1949. It has served as the center of entertainment and a landmark for Russellville and Franklin County for many years. It is the only one of its kind in Alabama. As movie theatres around the country fell victim to . . . — Map (db m41131) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Johnny Mack Brown
Side A Johnny Mack Brown, an outstanding athlete and western movie star, was born in Dothan on September 1, 1904. Johnny Mack was one of nine children born to John Henry and Hattie McGillivray Brown. The Brown family home was located on . . . — Map (db m83783) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 4th Avenue District
The Fourth Avenue "Strip" thrived during a time when downtown privileges for blacks were limited. Although blacks could shop at some white-owned stores, they did not share the same privileges and services as white customers, so they created tailor . . . — Map (db m26985) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Park
East Lake was planned in 1886 by the East Lake Land Company to help sell home sites to the men who came in the 1870's to work in Birmingham's steel industry. First named Lake Como, after the lake in the Italian Alps, it soon came to be called East . . . — Map (db m83828) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Eddie James KendrickDecember 17, 1937 - October 5, 1992
Eddie James Kendrick, nicknamed "cornbread", was born the eldest of five children to Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick in Union Springs, Alabama. After attending Western-Olin High School in Ensley, Alabama, Eddie was persuaded by his childhood . . . — Map (db m26724) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Fourth Avenue Historic District.
Marker front: Prior to 1900 a "black business district" did not exist in Birmingham. In a pattern characteristic of Southern cities found during Reconstruction, black businesses developed alongside those of whites in many sections of the . . . — Map (db m83830) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Alabama TheatreBuilt 1927
Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's . . . — Map (db m27337) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre
Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard . . . — Map (db m27513) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Tuxedo Junction
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — Map (db m25623) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club(Demolished 1930's)
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. . . . — Map (db m26963) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Kelton D. (Kelso) HerstonCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Starting his musical career in the 1950's, Kelso Herston became a leader, playing guitar with hundreds of performers, producing more than 50 recording artists, publishing 100+ hit songs and creating more than 5,000 commercial jingles. — Map (db m84027) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Samuel Cornelius PhillipsCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Known as the "Father of Rock and Roll," Sam Phillips established Sun Records in 1952, helping Elvis Presley and other well-known artists launch their careers. He received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in music. — Map (db m84046) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The Father of Rock ’N’ Roll / Sam Phillips in Florence
Side A Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King and other delta artists. In . . . — Map (db m29270) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969/Sticky Fingers Ranks Among Greatest Albums
(side 1) The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969 The Rolling Stones stayed at the Florence Holiday Inn on this site for several nights while recording at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield. When a hired engineer . . . — Map (db m79565) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Thomas Sigismund StriblingCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In 1934, T.S. Stribling won the Pulitzer Prize for The Store, part of a trilogy set in Florence. His story "Birthright" was produced in Hollywood as a silent movie and, later, with sound. — Map (db m29102) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — W. C. Handy Birthplace
(side 1) William Christopher Handy, widely honored as the “Father of the Blues,” was born in this house on November 16, 1873. In his autobiography, Handy traced the key events in his discovery of the blues back to his time in . . . — Map (db m90306) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William Christopher HandyCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Born in Florence in 1873, W.C. Handy wrote some of the country's most recognizable blues music such as the "St. Louis Blues." He became internationally known as the "Father of the Blues." — Map (db m28890) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William Christopher HandyHome-Museum-Library
(side 1) William Christopher Handy was born on November 16, 1873, in this two-room log cabin, which was located approximately one-half mile north of this site. In 1954, the cabin was dismantled, placed in storage, and restored to its . . . — Map (db m90292) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William D. "Buddy" KillenCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Buddy Killen earned international renown as a music publisher, songwriter, record producer and recording artist. He help launch the careers of a host of well-known musicians during the last half of the 20th century. — Map (db m28905) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church
Limestone County High School (grades 9-12) was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and . . . — Map (db m93851) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building1902-1968 / Birthplace of Tallulah Bankhead — Alabama’s Best-Known Actress —
Side A Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — Map (db m27850) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman AndThe Little Foxes
The Demopolis Opera House In 1876, the town of Demopolis leased the former Presbyterian Church, a classic brick structure built in 1843 and occupied by federal troops during Reconstruction, to the Demopolis Opera Association. The . . . — Map (db m38009) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — The Demopolis Theater District
Side A Establishing a history of theaters in this district, the Braswell Theater introduced its ornate interior to Demopolis on October 23, 1902, with a performance of the melodrama Unorna. Built by Frederick Henry Braswell in . . . — Map (db m85845) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre
Founded in 1786 by Joseph Bouzage (Bosarge), Bayou La Batre was incorporated in 1955. The local seafood industry in this seafaring town serves as a centerpiece for the Discovery Channel's series, Big Shrimping. In addition, the city was . . . — Map (db m117254) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre, Alabama
The stream near the site, known as Bayou la Batre, was known during the period of French occupation as "Riviere d'Erbane," then as "Rivere la batterie" because of the French artillery battery located on its banks. The town's name consists of bayou, . . . — Map (db m117255) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Joe CainOctober 10, 1832 - April 17, 1904
Joseph Stillwell Cain, Jr. was born along Dauphin Street in Mobile, Alabama. Joe served as a clerk for the city, and developed many mystic societies within the city. The Civil War brought all Mardi Gras Festivities to a halt. Cain had participated . . . — Map (db m86730) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile's First Mardi Gras Parade
On Shrove Tuesday, February 25, 1868, the Order of Myths gathered at this intersection shortly after 8 p.m. and began its first parade. The procession traveled west on Government, north on Warren east on Dauphin, north on Joachim west on State, . . . — Map (db m100842) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Saenger Theatre
Opening night, January 19, 1927, saw crowds gather to hear local dignitaries praise Mobile's "Place of Entertainment". Today the Saenger Theatre remains the entertainment center of downtown. Designed by Emile Weil in the French Renaissance . . . — Map (db m86503) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Site of Mobile's First Theater
Erected in 1824 N. M. Ludlow whence Theater Street derives its name — Map (db m86437) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Site of Sixth Mobile Theatre1841-1860
Here played the great of the American and British stage, among them: James Wallack, Fanny Kemble, Ole Bull, Joseph Field, Joseph Jefferson, James H. Hackett, William Macready, Charlotte Cushman, Edwin Forrest, Julia Dean, Junius Booth, Anna Mowatt, . . . — Map (db m86352) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Comic Cowboys of MobileA Mardi Gras Street Parade Society
This marker commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the founding in Mobile of the Comic Cowboys, a Mardi Gras society believed to be unique in all the world. For a century, it has annually fulfilled its mission by using the art of caricature, . . . — Map (db m101082) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Frisco City — Frisco City Town Park
Historical Marker This park area was given to the Jones Mill, now Frisco City community, by J.W. Jones in the year 1913. — Map (db m84380) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The ThunderbirdsThe Epitome of Teamwork
All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful, yet, for those who are trained by it, afterwards, it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. Hebrews 4:11 Maj. Norman L. Lowry III Capt. Willie T. Mays Capt. . . . — Map (db m64484) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Birthplace of Nat "King" Cole
Nat King Cole was a jazz pianist, composer, and singer celebrated as an American popular music artist in the 1940s and 1950s. He was born March 17, 1919 in Montgomery, Alabama as one of five children to Edward James Coles, a minister at Beulah . . . — Map (db m71228) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lincoln Cemetery / Rufus Payne, 1884-1939
Side 1 Lincoln Cemetery 1907 In 1907 the American Securities Company opened Lincoln Cemetery for African Americans and Greenwood Cemetery for whites, the first commercial cemeteries in the city. Landscape design indicates . . . — Map (db m71342) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams
(Front) Built 1936-37 Following a fire in 1932 that destroyed a 19th century City Hall, architect Frank Lockwood designed a replacement for the same site. With the Depression affecting all construction projects during the period, the . . . — Map (db m36571) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Theatre
Opened in Oct. 1860 as the South moved closer to secession, the theatre was significant in the social, cultural and political life of the city. In the early months, John Wilkes Booth performed here, Bryant Minstrels introduced "Dixie," which was . . . — Map (db m36572) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Pickett Springs / “The Best Public Resort”
Pickett Springs Railroad building and amusement park development flourished in the post-bellum South. In 1880s, Western Railroad of Alabama opened Pickett Springs on site of William Harris’s plantation, “Forest Farm;” Harris’s . . . — Map (db m38900) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Montgomery Bus Boycott / Hank Williams Alabama Troubadour
Side A At the bus stop on this site on December 1, 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to boarding whites. This brought about her arrest, conviction, and fine. The Boycott began December 5, the day of Parks’ trial, as a . . . — Map (db m86422) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Marks HouseCirca 1825
Built by William Matthews Marks, who immigrated from Oglethrope County, GA, on acreage purchased from the U.S. land office in Cahaba, AL for $1.25 per acre. Foundation is pegged-together heart pine; framing is 3" by 9" timbers; mantles, dados, . . . — Map (db m86472) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Beauty and HopeRestoring the Vision...Preserving The Legacy
"This section lying between Sixth Avenue and Eight Avenue will provide the central beautification theme as it will evolve into a beautiful elevated rose garden with 2,000 selected roses planted at vantage points... the color ensemble, when complete . . . — Map (db m86480) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Recreation and RefreshmentRestoring the Vision ... Preserving the Legacy
"We are definitely in an era of building; the best kind of buildings - the building of great projects for the benefit of the public and with the definite objectives of building human happiness". Franklin Delano Roosevelt Delano park was . . . — Map (db m86510) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Social and Cultural OpportunitiesRestoring the Vision...Preserving The Legacy
"It is intended that the city shall be not only a first class business and manufacturing place but at the same time it shall be a delightful place for the home and family." -Promotional brochure from the Decatur Land Improvement and Furnace . . . — Map (db m53667) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Uniontown — Green Gables1928-1983
Site of the road-house, Green Gables, built in 1928, which became the social center of the Black Belt. It was known for its lively but restrained atmosphere provided by a dance floor, juke box, and excellent T-bone steaks. Mr. Walter Kemp was the . . . — Map (db m70064) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Pokkecheta, or the Ball Play — Creek Heritage Trail —
Pokkecheta, or the ball play, was an ancient and vital part of the social life of the Creeks and a popular game among many groups of Southeastern Indians. The game enhanced interaction between towns and provided highly ritualized sport and . . . — Map (db m101817) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Pelham — Pelham, Alabama / Ballantrae Golf Course
Side 1 Pelham, Alabama Pelham, located in Shelby County, Alabama, acquired its name in approximately 1867. It was named for “Gallant Pelham” who fought in the Confederate Army and was killed in action at Kelly’s Ford, . . . — Map (db m76260) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — The Party Line - The “Talking Machine”Historic Corner
Here was located the switchboard known as “Central”, of Winston Telephone, Arley’s Grand Old Party Line. Built about 1909 by Mimm Wright, with an estimated maximum of 25 phones, she was the pulse of the community. When one phone rang, . . . — Map (db m42857) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — "The Line"
Noticeable among the earliest pioneers settling in Fairbanks were prostitutes, women of the demimonde who stampeded to the new Fairbanks gold camp from Dawson, Circle City, Rampart and points beyond. In a city where men far outnumbered women, . . . — Map (db m47404) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — Lacey Street Theater (1939)504 Second Avenue — (the corner of 2nd & Lacey St) —
Construction of the Lacey Street Theater began in 1939, and this Art Deco style building opened in 1940. Austin E. “Cap” Lathrop, Fairbanks businessman and financier, was its owner. The Lacey Street Theater, with its distinguished neon . . . — Map (db m58989) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — Creek Street‘Cat’houses & Sporting Women
Ketchikan’s notorious Creek Street, early Alaska’s most infamous red-light district, still retains traces of the gaudy rouge of a half-century of speakeasies and sporting women. Here the fame of Black Mary, Thelma Baker and Dolly Arthur outlived . . . — Map (db m112039) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — El Tovar HotelBegun 1903, Completed 1905
Named for Don Pedro de Tovar, the first European to visit the Hopi Indian villages in 1540, the hotel was constructed by Hopi Indian craftsmen at a cost of $250,000 employing logs shipped by train from Oregon and native Kaibab Limestone. The El . . . — Map (db m39477) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Grandview, 1898
"No language can fully describe, no artist paint the beauty, grandeur, immensity and sublimity of this most wonderful production of Nature's great architect. [Grand Canyon] must be seen to be appreciated." C.O. Hall, Grand Canyon visitor, . . . — Map (db m39659) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Hopi HouseMary Elizabeth Jane Colter
Hopi House opened on January 1, 1905, the first Grand Canyon work of architect Mary Colter. To complement El Tovar, their new hotel, the Fred Harvey Company commissioned Colter to design a building to display and sell Indian arts and crafts. Colter . . . — Map (db m39478) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Wupatki National Monument — The BallcourtA Mexican Idea at Wupatki
Ballcourts were common in southern Arizona from A.D. 750 to 1200, but relatively rare here in the northern part of the state. This suggests that the people of Wupatki intermingled with their southern Arizona neighbors - the Hohokam - who may have . . . — Map (db m41696) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Oracle — La Casa Del High JinksNational Register of Historic Places — Historic Site —
On this site on April 14, 1912, Colonel William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody – Pony Express rider, plainsman, Indian Wars scout, and Wild West showman – staked the High Jinks gold mine, after investing in Oracle mining for ten years. He . . . — Map (db m70305) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — A Canyon Retreat: Mayhew Lodge
A cool canyon sanctuary at the confluence of two creeks Mayhew Lodge, constructed of hand-smoothed logs and adorned with a towering rock chimney, was a rustic retreat attracting politicians, and movie stars. But this grand lodge had . . . — Map (db m99273) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early TourismHistoric Sedona
Soldiers from Camp Verde were early tourists to Sedona, enjoying the beauty, cooler temperatures and Oak Creek as a break from the camp.

As early as 1895, Lou Thomas turned Bear Howard’s cabin into a two-story hunting fishing lodge. It was . . . — Map (db m133684) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Elvis Plays SedonaHistoric Sedona
By the time MGM came to Sedona to film “Stay Away Joe” in 1967, audiences had fallen in love with the Elvis Presley movie formula. This contemporary western comedy spotlighted Elvis and other such distinguished co-stars as Burgess . . . — Map (db m133568) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — John Wayne & His Sedona ConnectionHistoric Sedona
His first time as producer John Wayne was to also star in the film “Angel and the Badman”. He had been to Sedona to film his 1944 movie “Tall in the Saddle”. The owner of the local film outfitter and catering company invited . . . — Map (db m133680) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Little Horse Park/Chapel of the Holy CrossHistoric Sedona
Little Horse Park, now called the Chapel area, was originally a mixture of private and US Forest Service property. Lee Piper homestead there and Otto Hallermund held the Forest Service-issued grazing permit for the area – part of the Sedona . . . — Map (db m133690) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Movie ProductionsHistoric Sedona
The first film shot in the Sedona area was Call of the Canyon, based on Zane Grey’s novel of the same name. This 1923 silent film was shot on location in Oak Creek Canyon near the site of Mayhew’s Lodge, and exposed the scenic wonders of the red . . . — Map (db m133562) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Gandolfo Theater1917 — National Register of Historic Places —
Built by John Gandolfo, this brick landmark served as a 635 seat theater and vaudeville house, a WW II USO canteen and was a center of community activity from 1917 to 1950. The third floor ballroom was destroyed by fire in 1925. Dedicated . . . — Map (db m28987) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Victory Theater

The Rogers Victory Theater Opened Monday, December 5, 1927, to a packed crowd of 750. First Production: "American Beauty" Notable Performers Over the Years: Will Rogers, Conway Twitty Designed by A.O. Clarke Built by John Myler . . . — Map (db m90740) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Crescent Hotel & Spa

May 20, 1886... America's newest and most luxurious hotel built at a cost of $294,000.

It was two years ago that Powell Clayton and his associates chose the site of the new Crescent Hotel... twenty seven acres at the north end of West . . . — Map (db m80116) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel

1884 - Cutter's Guide The Eureka Springs of Arkansas The hotels and boarding houses of Eureka Springs are numerous. The Perry House is the only real first-class hotel in the city; and we say this with no disparagement of the . . . — Map (db m79733) HM

Arkansas (Monroe County), Brinkley — Louis JordanSounds from the Soil & Soul — Arkansas Delta Music Trail —
Louis Jordan, born July 8, 1908, in Brinkley, Arkansas, was one of the state's brightest musical stars, ruling the rhythm and blues charts of the World War II era with hits like "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie," "Let the Good Times Roll," "Is You Is or . . . — Map (db m117265) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — KFFA 1360 HelenaSounds from the Soil & Soul
The music of the Arkansas Delta is the music of America. With roots in gospel or "church music," the blues, jazz, country, and rock n'roll flowed from the rich, fertile landscape bordering the lower Mississippi River and spread out across the . . . — Map (db m51908) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Live at the Opera House
Traveling road shows, vaudeville, dog-and-pony shows, mind readers, magicians, bell ringers and boxing matches-they all appeared live at Helena's Grand Opera House. In the days before radio, movies and television live entertainment was king. . . . — Map (db m107996) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Gilbert Maxwell AronsonThe First Cowboy-Western Movie Star — 1880-1971 —
Max Aronson was born at 713 Center Street, (a house formerly located across the street), on March 21, 1880, to Esther and Harry Aronson, a Jewish dry goods salesman. The Aronson family relocated to Pine Bluff, Arkansas in the 1890's. Aronson’s first . . . — Map (db m99370) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Max Henry Aronson – The First Cowboy-Western Movie StarMarch 21, 1880- January 20, 1971
Max Aronson was born at 713 Center Street, (a house formerly located across the street), on March 21, 1880, to Esther and Harry Aronson, a Jewish dry goods salesman. As a child, Max Aronson relocated to St. Louis, before moving to the . . . — Map (db m120205) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — The Salem Campground
In the early days of Saline County's history the settlers would gather here after the crops had been "laid by" for rest, relaxation, and to give thanks to The Lord. The early meetings were held under brush arbors lighted bu pine knots and included . . . — Map (db m104059) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The New Theatre in 1911

Ten years before the outbreak of the Civil War, the Old Red Mill stood on the future site of the New Theatre. The mill was used as a hospital during the Civil War, was damaged by the 1898 cyclone and finally disappeared around 1908. On the back . . . — Map (db m92362) HM

California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Photoplayer Co.Cooper Woodworking Buildings — 1912-1920 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1986 Over the years this complex housed Cooper Woodworking, the Sperry Flour Company, the American Photoplayer Company, and other industrial and manufacturing enterprises. American Photoplayer manufactured . . . — Map (db m53818) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Y.M.C.A.City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990 — Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910 —
Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization . . . — Map (db m50295) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Hinkel ParkClubhouse: John Gregg, Designer, 1918 — Amphitheater: Vernon Dean, Designer, 1934 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 In 1919 John and Ada Hinkel donated seven hillside areas to the City of Berkeley in appreciation of the Boy Scouts’ service to the nation during the First World War. Before making their gift, the . . . — Map (db m53849) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Spenger’s Fish Grottoc. 1890 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 2001 —
Clam chowder, baked beans and 10¢ beer – these and fish dinners drew crowds to fabled Spenger’s. It all began in the 1860s when Johann Spenger from Bavaria started fishing in the Bay. The gabled structure he built here housed his business and . . . — Map (db m52303) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Strand (Elmwood) TheaterAlbert W. Cornelius, Architect — 1914 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 Built as the Strand Theater in the Art Nouveau architectural style, this was one of the neighborhood’s first commercial structures. Admission was ten cents for adults, five for children and the theater . . . — Map (db m54813) HM
California (Alameda County), Castro Valley — Rowell Ranch
Once a hiding and trading place in the 1850's for the notorious bandit Joaquin Murrieta, known in California as "El Famoso," this canyon has produced many rodeos dating back to the rancho days circa 1820. Harry Rowell, originally from England, . . . — Map (db m94033) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Essanay Film Studio
The western branch studio of the Essanay Film Manufacturing Company stood on this site from 1913 to 1933. It was the first movie studio built for that purpose in Northern California. The Essanay company of 52 people led by movie star cowboy . . . — Map (db m63811) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Essanay Studio SiteAmerica’s First Hollywood
Francis X. Bushman, Charlie Chaplin, Wallace Beery, Marie Dressler, Ben Turpin, Vic “Slippery Sam” Pottel and “Alkalie (sic) Ike” starred here 1910/1912. Earliest films starred Gilbert Anderson (Max Aronson) alias . . . — Map (db m64009) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Jefferson Square Park
1853 Oakland was shaped by seven GREEN SQUARES Downtown’s living rooms now only five Parks bring out the Goodness of good people — Map (db m72832) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 884 — Paramount Theatre
This is a superior rendering of the "Art Deco" or "Moderne" style of movie palace built during the rise of the motion picture industry. The Paramount, which opened on December 16, 1931, is the most ambitious theatre design of architect Timothy L. . . . — Map (db m100560) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Seventh Street
Spine of West Oakland The elevated BART tracks are the latest link in Seventh Street's long history as the transportation spine of West Oakland. The street once led to the long Wharf and Mole on the western waterfront where the . . . — Map (db m92787) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Gay 90's Pizzeria
Here stands one the first commercial buildings in Pleasanton, possibly as old as 1864. Originally a general store, this building has been a bar, brothel, bank and unofficial Wells Fargo stagecoach stop. Since 1959 it has become well-known as the . . . — Map (db m112913) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Rancho El Valle de San Jose
This grandstand is located on a portion of the historic Rancho El Valle de San Jose, granted to Pico, Sunol and Bernal by Mexico in 1839 forming part of Mission San Jose lands. Early settlers trained and raced horses here over 100 years ago. — Map (db m65971) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — The Heritage House
The Heritage House has been the center of historical horse racing activities in the Livermore – Amador Valley for over 90 years. Built around 1900, it is the sole remaining structure from the days of the privately-owned racing business that . . . — Map (db m112794) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione's Annual Picnic
In 1876 Ione’s Annual Picnic moved from Shakeley Hill to this location. The 100 acre park is part of an 1840 land grant and was leased to the city by the Howard Estate May 11, 1967. The park during it’s early years hosted many of the important horse . . . — Map (db m42400) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville State Theatre
Oroville State Theatre has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United State Department of the Interior Built 1928 — Map (db m61555) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — The American
Site of First Theater in Oroville The American (Seal of the American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976) — Map (db m65838) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — E Clampus Vitus
E Clampus Vitus-What mystery and magic that name recalls! Mystery as to its meaning which is unknown; magic as its name conjures the Golden Days of California’s statehood. E Clampus Vitus was established in West Virginia in the 1840’s by Ephraim Bee . . . — Map (db m122664) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — History of Marsh Creek Springs
Founded in 1927 by Gerald (Jerry) Gill and family, the park consisted of four picnic sections, over forty acres, four baseball diamonds, two swimming pools, a wading pool for children, large dance hall and two snack bars. At one time the grounds . . . — Map (db m94663) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Old Marsh Creek Springs
This area in the mid 1850s, was a known hideout for legendary bandit Joaquin Murrieta, who worked as a vaquero for John Marsh on his rancho just east of here. It was also frequented by John "Grizzly" Adams, famed California mountain man. In 1927 . . . — Map (db m94657) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Cerrito Theater
. . . — Map (db m94120) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Contra Costa Civic Theatre
. . . — Map (db m94210) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito's Nightlife
From the late 1920s until the early 1950s, El Cerrito and nearby unincorporated areas were popular destinations for people to play the slots, high-low games, numbers and more while enjoying fine food and entertainment. — Map (db m94100) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Holy Ghost Festa
The Festival of the Holy Ghost was started in Portugal by Queen Izabel to celebrate the end of a famine in 1296. Since the 1920s, Portuguese Americans have gathered in El Cerrito in late June to carry out this annual tradition with a parade, the . . . — Map (db m94192) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Summertime Fun in El Cerrito
Golden Gate Lanes, El Cerrito's only bowling alley was located near here. Other summer staples included Bardon's Fruit Market, Betsy's Kitchen and Big Boys Barbecue, Motorcycle Hill, the Whoopie Bumps, and Peek-a-Boo Park, an early auto-court . . . — Map (db m94222) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The 'IT' Club
Walt Gatto's "IT" Club, located at Central and San Pablo was named for Clara Bow, the famous cinema "IT" Girl. Redd Foxx, Gypsy Rose Lee, The Vagabonds, Sally Rand, Frank Fontaine, and Johnny Mathis all played the famous "IT" Club. — Map (db m94122) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The Six Bells & Cerro Square
The Figone family's "Six Bells" restaurant stood near here for many years. Later Berkeley-born and well-known Major League Baseball player (and later manager) Billy Martin opened "Cerro Square" here in the early 1960s. — Map (db m94124) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Violet's
After running kitchens in early hotspots such as the "IT" Club and Six Bells, Violet Wong went on to become a culinary pioneer in El Cerrito by introducing Chinese American food. In 1945, Violet and her husband, Albert Wong, opened Violet's Dining . . . — Map (db m94126) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Cowboy Country
This was the site of Pitt Arena, which featured equestrian events during the 1930s and 1940s .Owned by Babe and Claude Pitt, the arena showcased the horsemanship of the El Sobrante Horseman's Association, San Pablo Horseman's Association, Western . . . — Map (db m94278) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Park Theatre
Opened in 1949, the Park Theatre was the only commercial movie theatre in El Sobrante. It was owned and built by Dick Jeha, member of a prominent local family in the business community. More than just a movie house, the Park served for years as a . . . — Map (db m94296) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette Town Hall
Community spirit led to construction of this hall by the Lafayette Improvement Club. Land was donated by Frank and Rose Ghiglione with funds and labor provided by the townspeople. A grand opening ball and midnight supper were held on May 1, 1914. . . . — Map (db m49861) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pleasant Hill — CinéArts Theatre
Over 900 people attended a champagne gala to celebrate the opening of the first theatre in the young city of Pleasant Hill. The first movie shown that night of February 21, 1967 was "Dr. Zhivago". Originally built for Century Theatres, the . . . — Map (db m114353) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Port Costa — The Burlington HotelEstablished 1883
Port Costa's old timers are quite certain that the rumor of the Burlington Hotel being a bordello is untrue. Their reasoning is that the respected owners and their families lived nearby, therefore it could not have been a bordello. However, the . . . — Map (db m57971) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 190 — City Park & Walnut FestivalCivic Drive and Broadway
Walnut Creek's first park - City Park (now Civic Park) - opened in 1949 at the site of an abandoned sewer farm. City Park had a lighted ballfield and tennis courts and, until 1976, was the site of the annual Walnut Festival, held in September. — Map (db m93798) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 196 — Civic Art Theatre ("Nuthouse")1601 Civic Dr. — 1965 —
By the mid-1960s, community theater groups needed better performance space. The City re-purposed an obsolete walnut warehouse as the Civic Arts Theatre & Gallery - affectionately nicknamed "The Nuthouse." In 1990- and after extensive private . . . — Map (db m93756) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 197 — Civic Arts Theatre ("Nuthouse")1601 Civic Dr. — 1965 —
In 1965, the City repurposed an abandoned walnut warehouse to house the Civic Arts Theatre & Gallery - affectionately nicknamed "The Nuthouse." Some 25 years later ant through extensive private fundraising, the Lesher Center of the Arts was built, . . . — Map (db m93784) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 166 — El Rey Theatre1641 N. Main St. — 1937 —
The plush El Rey Theatre was Walnut Creek's second movie house and a popular venue for nearly 50 years. The El Rey showed films ranging from Shirley Temple's "Wee Willie Winkie" to the cult classic "Rocky Horror Picture Show." An office building . . . — Map (db m93808) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 145 — Ramona TheatreN. Main at Cypress — 1920 —
The 400-seat Ramona, Walnut Creek's first cinema, opened in 1920 as a silent-movie house. The theater sat on Main Street, next to the Contra Costa Courier newspaper and where Cypress Street now connects to Broadway. It was owned by Theodore . . . — Map (db m93828) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 157 — Town Hall1501 N. Main St. — 1907 —
Desiring a place for community meetings and events, a newly formed Town Hall Association acquired the lot at Main and Bonanza. Several years later, and with a loan from the new San Ramon Valley Bank, the group built the imposing two-story Town Hall. — Map (db m93824) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Forum Café / Union Hotel / United States Trio Hall / The Forum Café / The Blue Bell CaféThe Bookery
Saloons and gambling halls provided the main form of entertainment for miners during the gold rush. One of Old Hangtown’s largest gaming halls, The United States Trio, once stood on this site. Owner and entrepreneur, Benjamin Nickerson, first . . . — Map (db m65251) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — "The Only Way to See Lake Tahoe"
Before roads were built in the Tahoe area in the 1920s, sailing on a steamer was the only way for visitors to reach the resorts lining the south shore. The Tod Goodwin outdid all the other steamers in size and speed. It could carry 150 . . . — Map (db m112978) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — A Room with a View
Guests at the Pope estate had the option of staying in one of three unique cabins, each with its own charm. Many liked the "Log Cabin" best because it was closest to the lake. The cabin across and up the lawn called the "Pachero," was reserved . . . — Map (db m112980) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Riding into the Winner's CircleEquestrians at the Tevis/Pope Estate
Horseback riding was a focus of the Tahoe summer experience. William Tevis Jr. was an ardent lover of horses. He became an internationally known, prize-winning polo player and horseman, and spent many hours riding and "bronco-busting" in rodeos and . . . — Map (db m112979) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Supporting a Life of Ease
The Pope complex is the largest of the Estates, and the main house the most elaborate and least rustic of the three. It is a good example of the fact that construction practices at Tahoe during this period favored the use of lavish effects and often . . . — Map (db m112977) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Bordagaray’sOne of the “Oldest Bars in the West”
Dominique Bordagaray was born in St. Jean Pied de Port, Basses Pyrenees, France. Immigrated to the United States in 1893. Moved to Fresno Co. in 1895 and worked as a sheepherder until 1908. He established a sheep shearing camp at “Turk”, . . . — Map (db m64062) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Coalinga Opera HouseOpened Nov. 22, 1907 – Burned July 29, 1910
During its short life, the Coalinga Opera House presented the top entertainers of the time. Coalinga was a boomtown with considerable wealth and the town’s people could afford the very best. Located directly across the street was the Grand Central . . . — Map (db m64163) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Coalinga’s Notorious Whiskey Row “1909”
F St., sometimes Front St., now Forest St. Established after the railroad was built in 1888 on one-half city block directly across from the Depot. Parts of the row burned many times over the years, always to be rebuilt. The final demise of the Row’s . . . — Map (db m64081) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Liberty “Airdome Theater”Built in 1904 – Terminated with the advent of “talkies” and evaporating coolers.
Built by Dominique Bordagaray, who emigrated from St. Jean Pied de Port, Basses Pyrenees France. Soon after Coalinga began building he bought six lots on “C” St. and fifth, where he built a row of store buildings. In one of these he ran . . . — Map (db m63969) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — 28 — Minor TheatreClassic Commercial Style - 1914 — Architect: Franklin Georgeson —
The nation's oldest theatre built for feature films was opened on December 3, 1914, by Isaac Minor with a silent film based on Charles Dickens' "The Chimes" directed by Herbert Blaché starring Tom Terriss. Arcata Historic Landmark #28 This . . . — Map (db m60930) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 2008-9 — Sequoia Park Zoo
Sequoia Park Zoo has been an integral part of Eureka's community since 1907. Founded on land acquired from the Glatt family to be used as a city park, the zoo has provided a home for many cherished animals and fond family memories. For more than a . . . — Map (db m78790) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Weaver BuildingStick-Eastlake Architecture - 1892 — Eureka Historic Landmark —
Two cantilevered square bays; saloon downstairs; brothel upstairs; later Bluebird Cabaret with dime a dance. This program made possible through a partnership with property owner Diane Barmore, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage . . . — Map (db m61222) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Ferndale Palace Saloon
Circa 1890. Furthest westernly bar in the continental United States. Dedicated February 13, 1993 by the Native Sons of the Golden West. Harley M. Harty, Grand President In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger PGP — Map (db m65266) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — 52 — Amargosa Opera House
This building was originally built by the Pacific Coast Borax Company in 1924. The original name of the facility was Corkill Hall, and was the social center for Death Valley Junction between 1924 to 1948. Between the years 1948 to 1967, Corkill . . . — Map (db m78582) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — "Gunga Din" Filmed Here
In 1938, this hill area, among many others in these Alabama Hills, served as a stand-in for the hill country of northern India when RKO made the classic adventure film, 'Gunga Din,' on location in Lone Pine. Hundreds of horsemen raced across the . . . — Map (db m93442) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Lone Pine Film Museum
This Plaque Presented to The Beverly and Jim Rogers Lone Pine Film Museum to Honor Masons and Shriners. Dedicated to all Masons and Shriners who appeared in movies filmed in the Alabama Hills, Lone Pine and surrounding areas. Presented by Kerak . . . — Map (db m72578) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Movie Flats
Since 1920, hundreds of movies and TV episodes, including Gunga Din, How The West Was Won, Khyber Rifles, Bengal Lancers, and High Sierra, along with, The Lone Ranger and Bonanza, with such stars as Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gary . . . — Map (db m52103) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 2015 — The Fox Theater
The Fox Theater was designed by Los Angeles-based motion picture theater architect S. Charles Lee (1899-1990), built by Beller Construction, and supervised by local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882-1946). The three-story Spanish Colonial Revival . . . — Map (db m115126) HM
California (Kern County), Johannesburg — 18 — Red Mountain
One of the richest silver strikes occurred in the community of Red Mountain. The Kelly and Grady claims started a silver boom which brought prosperity to this region in the 1900's. In one 60 day period over $170,000 in silver was mined from a hole . . . — Map (db m78593) HM
California (Kern County), Red Mountain — 8 — The Owl Hotel
The Owl Hotel where the action was! Dedicated to Hattie, Little Eva and the girls of the line. While the men mined silver, they dug for gold. — Map (db m78597) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Pioneer Saloon
A saloon has been on this site since 1862. Originally known as the Humboldt Exchange, in 1863 the name was changed to the Pioneer. This bar is the oldest established business in northeastern California. — Map (db m87810) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Club
Built in 1914 by the Red River Lumber Co. as a mens club. The club had a pool room, card room, cafe, tobacco shop and a bar. It burned in 1944 and was rebuilt in 1945. Bought by George & Vera Young in 1957 & was turned into a market. Their son Mike . . . — Map (db m66083) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — 990 — Christmas Tree Lane
The 135 Deodar Cedar trees were planted in 1885 by the Woodbury Family, the founders of Altadena. First organized by F.C. Nash in 1920, the "Mile of Christmas Trees" has been strung with 10,000 lights each holiday season through the efforts of . . . — Map (db m50989) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Aqua Dulce — Toney ResidenceVasquez Rocks
Ray A. Toney and his son Edward A. Toney built this ranch-style residence on property homesteaded by William H. Krieg, Ray's uncle. The Toneys, a pioneering Agua Dulce family, built the residence during the Great Depression using wood salvaged from . . . — Map (db m133731) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — 135 — Canoga Mission Gallery1934-1936
A mission style stable converted to new uses as a community center of the arts of California and Mexico. — Map (db m129391) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Carson — Robert A. Cinader
Robert A. Cinader's involvement with the Los Angeles County Fire Department began in 1971 when he filmed a pilot television movie about the county's fledgling paramedic program. "Emergency" aired in 1972 and ran as a prime time show for five . . . — Map (db m50349) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — Garden of the GodsIverson Movie Ranch
Garden of the Gods was part of the Iverson Movie Ranch which flourished from 1912 until the late 1960s, the golden era of the "B” Western movies. This site was known as the "most shot up location in movie history.” Hollywood . . . — Map (db m127037) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — Culver Theater
The Culver Theater, which opened in 1947, was one of two movie theaters in Culver City operating in the second half of the 20th century. As an example of the Skouras style, it was noted for its sweeping scrollwork and a juke box like ticket kiosk. — Map (db m137095) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — M-G-M Studio — Historic Landmark —
On this site in the year 1915 was founded the first motion picture studio in Culver City, built by Thomas H. Ince. In 1919, Samuel Goldwyn succeeded to the title to this and adjoining property for his production company in 1924, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer . . . — Map (db m128144) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 7 — The Culver Studios
On this site in 1919, the Colonial Administration Building of what was to become one of Culver City's three major motion picture studios was completed. Built by and first producing film as the Thomas H. Ince Studios, it later became known as DeMille . . . — Map (db m49955) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Duarte — 1 — Glenn Miller1904-1944
Born in Iowa, he became one of the most famous and prosperous big band leaders in the world. His popularity peaked from 1938 to 1942 with such tunes as “Moonlight Serenade” and the all-time classic “In The Mood”. In 1942 he . . . — Map (db m137556) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — Gay’s Lion Farm
In celebration of Gay’s Lion Farm. From its start on July 1, 1925, until it closed in December of 1942, the roar of hundreds of lions could be heard throughout the valley, into the hills and beyond. — Map (db m122058) HM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — The LionEl Monte Historical Monument
“The Lion” dedicated 1980. Gay’s Lion Farm 1924 - 1944. Donated 1948 to El Monte Union High School. — Map (db m122063) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hawthorne — 1041 — Site of the Childhood Home of The Beach Boys
It was here in the home of parents Murry and Audree that Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson grew to manhood and developed their musical skills. During Labor Day weekend 1961, they, with cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, gathered here to record a . . . — Map (db m59320) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Award of Excellence KTLA-TV
Award of Excellence KTLA-TV The first television station west of the Mississippi, KTLA-5 has been a part of Los Angeles broadcasting since January 22, 1947. — Map (db m32469) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Buster Keaton Studios
1920-1928 At this site stood the studio where Buster Keaton and his extraordinary team produced 10 feature-length and 19 short films that bring inspiration to filmmakers of every generation and laughter to audiences around the world. . . . — Map (db m118887) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 947 — CBS Columbia Square Studios
On this site was established the first motion picture studio in Hollywood, October 27, 1911. CBS Columbia Square Studios, International style. William Lescaze, architect. Earl Heitschmidt, associate architect. Built 1938. Declared 2009. . . . — Map (db m133742) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 42 — El Capitan Theatre
The most lavish of four Hollywood Blvd. theatres designed for live performances opened in 1926, featuring stars such as Joan Fontaine, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Lon Chaney, Jr., Buster Keaton, Clark Gable, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Will Rogers. . . . — Map (db m129363) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Hattie McDaniel1895-1952
To honor her last wish, renowned performer. Academy Award 1939 Gone With The Wind. "Aunt Hattie, you are a credit to your craft, your race, and to your family" Edgar Goff — Map (db m82164) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood was given its name by pioneers Mr. and Mrs. Horace H. Wilcox. They subdivided their ranch in 1887 and called two dirt cross-roads Prospect Avenue and Weyse Avenue. Prospect Avenue, the main artery, was renamed Hollywood Boulevard and Weyse . . . — Map (db m128863) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 44 — Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Built in 1927 by a group of celebrities that included Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Louis B. Mayer. Site of the first Academy Awards in 1929. A hideaway for Clark Gable and Carol Lombard. Marilyn Monroe did her first commercial shoot by the . . . — Map (db m125714) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 554 — Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio
One-half of this structure, then in use as a barn, was rented by Cecil B. DeMille as the studio in which was made the first feature-length motion picture in Hollywood, “The Squaw Man”, in 1913. It was originally located at the corner of . . . — Map (db m118836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — The Hollywood Reporter
The first entertainment trade paper founded in Hollywood, California September 3, 1930 — Map (db m32462) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — The Magic Castle
In Sept. 1961, Milton Page Larsen leased this building, which would become the world-famous Magic Castle, with a handshake and a dream. Renovations began on the historic 1910 Rollin B. Lane mansion with the help and contributions of many friends . . . — Map (db m128765) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 37 — The Pig ‘n Whistle
Sidney Hoedemaker opened Hollywood's first family restaurant (that welcomed children) in 1927 and featured rich, hand-carved wood decor. Popular tunes were played on a pipe organ. The Hollywood Glee Club performed Friday evenings. Loreatta Young . . . — Map (db m125716) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 180 — Warner Brothers Studio
Original home built by Warner Bros. in 1923. The pioneering talking motion picture The Jazz Singer was produced here in 1927 and revolutionized the film industry. This building was certified as a Historic Structure by the United States Department of . . . — Map (db m133609) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 12 — Warner Pacific Theatre
Built by Warner Bros. in 1928 to be the crown jewel of its West Coast theaters. Sam Warner oversaw construction but died before it was completed. His ghost is said to haunt the building. The Italian Renaissance exterior design theme is continued . . . — Map (db m125717) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Apex / Club AlabamHistoric Central Avenue Jazz Corridor — 42nd St. [sic] and Central Av. —
Curtis Mosby, the conductor of the Dixieland Blue Blowers, opened the Apex on Thanksgiving 1928. The classy nightclub was home to revues featuring beautiful showgirls in extravagant costumes. Johnny Otis led the house band, but Alabam . . . — Map (db m51175) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Charlie Chaplin’s The KidReminiscing
The heart-tugging reunion in The Kid [1921] played between Charlie Chaplin’s Little Tramp and his “adopted” son [Jackie Coogan] remains one of the most emotionally charged scenes in all of film history. Remarkably, the setting for this . . . — Map (db m129617) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
On November 3, 1954, Toho Studios in Japan released a monster movie that was an allegory of the atomic bombings and fire raids visited upon the Japanese during the closing months of the Second World War. Produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka, directed by . . . — Map (db m134631) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round
75 Years Ago Walt Disney made Snow White & The 7 Dwarfs. Emelia Erhart disappeared flying around the world. The Golden Gate Bridge opened. The Hindenburg crashed. Franklin Roosevelt was President. Shirley Temple . . . — Map (db m137297) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 535 — Hollywoodland's Granite Retaining Walls and Interconnecting Granite Stairs
Hollywoodland's Granite Retaining Walls and Interconnecting Granite Stairs Built 1923 Declared 1991 Historic-Cultural Monument No. 535 — Map (db m31537) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — James Dean1931 - 1955
Key scenes from the classic motion picture "Rebel Without a Cause" were filmed at the Griffith Observatory in Spring 1955. Although many movies have been filmed at Griffith Observatory, "Rebel Without a Cause"was the first to portray the . . . — Map (db m20240) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 960 — Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
This stadium was originally completed in 1923. It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John & Donald B. Parkinson. The Coliseum has witnessed many important sports, political, and . . . — Map (db m116751) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Love Affair with the Movies — USC — University of Southern California —
The curtain first rose on USC’s distinguished contributions to cinema on February 6, 1929, when Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., ascended the stage in Bovard Auditorium and delivered the opening lecture for the nation’s first university course in film. The . . . — Map (db m130658) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 256 — Mack Sennett StudiosThis is the Birthplace of Motion Picture Comedy
[Upper Marker] This is the birthplace of motion picture comedy. Here the genius of Mack Sennett took root and grew to laughter heard around the world. Here movie history was made. Here stars were born. Here reigned, and still reigns . . . — Map (db m120327) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 171 — Merced TheatreEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m120901) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 22 — Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby
The most famous Hollywood restaurant of its day, the Brown Derby opened Valentine's Day, 1929. Owner Robert Cobb was also the inventor of the Cobb Salad. He originated furnishing telephones at tables during mealtime. Celebrities’ popularity was . . . — Map (db m127028) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Student Media — USC — University of Southern California —
Ever since USC was founded, its students have sought ways to have their say. The earliest student publication, The College Review, dates back to 1884, only four years after USC was established. A slim monthly magazine, it lasted only the . . . — Map (db m129532) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Student Musical Traditions — USC — University of Southern California —
As long as USC has been in existence, there has been music in the air. Musical instruction was listed in the university’s first catalog in 1880, and the first USC band was started in 1881. A student served as band director, and although the group . . . — Map (db m130533) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 763 — Studio Theatre at St. Denis Building
Birthplace of Modern Dance in Los Angeles. Built 1945. Declared 2003. — Map (db m129266) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Downbeat ClubHistoric Central Avenue Jazz Corridor — 4201 Central Avenue —
The Down Beat was part of what was known during the War years as “Little Harlem”. It was a popular destination for Hollywood celebrities and the upper-class residents of Beverly Hills. Buddy Collete created his Stars of Swing in 1946 at . . . — Map (db m51234) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Greek Theatre
The history of the Greek Theatre dates to 1882, when Colonel Griffith J. Griffith came to America from South Wales to seek fortune in gold mining. Colonel Griffith settled in Los Angeles and purchased the Los Feliz Rancho, which he later donated . . . — Map (db m137264) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Universal City Overlook
The Entertainment Capital In 1912, Carl Laemmle bought a 230-acre chicken ranch and started Universal Studios. He kept the chickens just in case the movie business failed. He could not foresee that Los Angeles would become the world's . . . — Map (db m129933) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 728 — Woody Guthrie
Woodrow Wilson (“Woody") Guthrie (1912-1967), composer of "This Land is Your Land,” arrived in Los Angeles in 1937 along with thousands of other migrant workers and families from the "Dust Bowl” region. Guthrie hosted a popular . . . — Map (db m131321) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — End of an EraCharlie Chaplin’s “Modern Times”
Near where you are now standing, silent film comic Charlie Chaplin, with Paulette Goddard at his side, appeared in the final scene of the epic comedy Modern Times. The film was released on February 5, 1936, nearly ten years into the talkie . . . — Map (db m118782) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 564 — William S. Hart Park and Museum
William S. Hart Park and Museum is the former ranch and home of the world famous Western silent film actor and director, William S. Hart. Today, guests visiting the park may enjoy a vast picnic area, a live collection of farm animals, a herd of . . . — Map (db m120773) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — El Portal Theatre
Hollywood Comes North The community of North Hollywood was still a year away from being given that official name when a jewel box of a theatre called the "El Portal" opened in October of 1926. The world was still a year away . . . — Map (db m133335) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 887 — Pasadena Playhouse
Considered Elmer Grey's outstanding design, the Pasadena Playhouse, an excellent example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, opened on May 18, 1925. The first in America to stage Shakespeare's 37 plays, the Playhouse has provided the theatre . . . — Map (db m126948) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rosemead — James E. Henry(1870–1943) — Savannah Memorial Park —
Circus pioneer and owner of the J.E. Henry Wagon Show (circus) for over 50 years, traveling all over the United States. Credited with building the very first house trailer as he needed something that traveled easily and that he could live in while . . . — Map (db m131702) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rosemead — William L. Dodson(1872–1914) (No Stone) — Savannah Memorial Park —
One of our most flamboyant residents. The son of one of the earliest pioneer families that settled in the area. Most of his young life was spent taking care of his invalid mother, keeping up with all the household duties, and helping his father . . . — Map (db m131266) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 98001633 — The Warner Grand Theatre
Opened as the Warner Brothers Theatre on January 20, 1931, it was designed by architect B. Marcus Priteca and interior designer Anthony B. Heinsbergen and was the first sound-equipped theater in the South Bay. Jack Warner called it "The castle of . . . — Map (db m81922) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — The Santa Monica Pier Carousel
The Hippodrome (also known as the "Carousel Building") was built in 1916 by famous carousel carver Charles I.D. Looff. Its unique combination of Byzantine, Moorish, and California design made it easily identifiable among the festive, eclectic . . . — Map (db m119676) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 18 — Cawston Ostrich Farm1896 - 1935
In 1885, Edwin Cawston chartered a ship for the purpose of transporting from South Africa to America some of the best ostriches obtainable in the world. Of the original 50 fine birds only 18 survived the five week voyage to Galveston and hazardous . . . — Map (db m130144) HM

2786 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2586
Paid Advertisement