On 1st Avenue (Alabama Route 9) at 2nd Street (Alabama Route 77), on the right when traveling west on 1st Avenue.
Dedicated to the veterans of Clay County who so unselfishly served and to those who died in defense of their country Let it be said “We will never forget” Left Panel List of World War I, World War II and Korean War veterans . . . — — Map (db m14302) WM
On Railroad Street 0 miles south of West College Street, on the right when traveling south.
This building was built in 1903 with additions in 1916 and 1997. The first freight shipments and passengers came here on the Alabama Midland railroad in 1898 immediately after construction of the roadbed. That was also the year when most of the . . . — — Map (db m30307) HM
On South Main Street (U.S. 84) 0 miles south of College Street, on the left when traveling north.
Original two-story brick structure built 1903 by Japheth Rawls, developer of some of earliest turpentine plants in Coffee County. Building remodeled 1928 and three-story wings added by Jesse P. Rawls, founder of first electric power system in . . . — — Map (db m30308) HM
The city of Muscle Shoals began with the construction of U.S. Nitrate Plant No.2 and Wilson Dam for defense purposes in 1918. The name came from the great stretch of rapids in the Tennessee River that contained rocky shoals and an abundance of . . . — — Map (db m83388) HM
On Martin Luther King Jr. Street at Clark Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Martin Luther King Jr. Street.
The George Washington Carver neighborhood served as base camp for the votings rights movement during the tumultuous weeks of March 1965. These blocks of brick two-story homes—the city's first and largest federal housing project for blacks, . . . — — Map (db m112365) HM
On Loyalty Day this 30th day of April, 1967, we do pay honor and tribute to a great American
- Paul Harvey -
a man who has contributed much toward making this nation and especially Gadsden a better place to live. We salute a true champion of . . . — — Map (db m83737) HM
On 2nd Street Southeast at 4th Avenue South (Alabama Route 24), on the left when traveling north on 2nd Street Southeast.
You are standing near the site of “The Calaboose”, Red Bay's only jail until 1949 when the city hall was built.
The Calaboose was a small brick building, approximately 10 feet by 20 feet, built over a small ditch. At that time, . . . — — Map (db m68983) HM
On E Peachtree Street, on the right when traveling west.
Constructed in 1911-1912 and designed by architect Richard H. Hunt, the Jackson County Courthouse is a Neo-Classical, brick building situated on a town square in Scottsboro, the county seat of Jackson County. The front, . . . — — Map (db m22264) HM
On 4th Avenue North at 17th Street North, on the right when traveling west on 4th Avenue North.
The Fourth Avenue "Strip" thrived during a time when downtown privileges for blacks were limited. Although blacks could shop at some white-owned stores, they did not share the same privileges and services as white customers, so they created tailor . . . — — Map (db m26985) HM
The Corey Land Company, a group of prominent local businessmen headed by Robert Jemison, Jr., developed Belview Heights as a neighborhood for the professional employees of U.S. Steel in the 1910's. Extending the grid system being used in Ensley over . . . — — Map (db m24351) HM
This building was constructed in 1908 by Louis V. Clark (1862-1934), who also built the historic Lyric Theater located nearby on 18th Street. The Clark Theater on Caldwell Park is named in honor of Mr. Clark’s generosity to the Birmingham Little . . . — — Map (db m27515) HM
On 4th Avenue North west of 17th Street North, on the right when traveling west.
The Fraternal Hotel Building was built in 1925. Some of the businesses that were located in this building included:
1925 - 1980 Fraternal Hotel
1925 - 1970 Fraternal Café
1950 - 1966 Monroe Steak House
1985 - 1994 Grand Lodge Knights of . . . — — Map (db m27518) HM
On 16th Avenue South at Glen Iris Park, on the right when traveling east on 16th Avenue South.
Founded in 1898 by Robert Jemison, this 30-acre historic district is a private residential park containing an almost intact collection of some of Birmingham's finest 20th century houses. It was the first professionally landscaped residential . . . — — Map (db m27520) HM
On 12th Street West at 2nd Avenue West on 12th Street West.
Built by local industrialist A. H. "Rick" Woodward, this park opened on August 18, 1910. It is the oldest surviving baseball park in America. Rickwood served as the home park for both the Birmingham Barons (until 1987) and the Birmingham Black . . . — — Map (db m22526) HM
On 20th Street North at 5th Avenue North, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street North.
Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II
“Tutwiler Green”, this section of Birmingham Green was so named in a resolution passed by the Birmingham City Council to honor the life and work of Temple Tutwiler II, who contributed greatly to the . . . — — Map (db m27525) HM
On 3rd Avenue North, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's . . . — — Map (db m27337) HM
Near 20th Street North at 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
At the turn of the 20th century, Birmingham was a small town of two and three story buildings with a few church steeples punctuating the skyline. During the industrial boom from 1902 to 1912 which made Birmingham the largest city in the state. Four . . . — — Map (db m27500) HM
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The giant, cast iron statue you see towering above you is Vulcan, the Roman god of metalwork and the forge. The 56-foot tall statue was commissioned by Birmingham leaders to represent their new, growing city at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. After . . . — — Map (db m26297) HM
On 26th Street South at Hatcher Place on 26th Street South.
Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard . . . — — Map (db m27513) HM
On Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North at 3rd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north on Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North.
Designed by William C. Weston and erected in 1902, the Title Building was the second skyscraper built in Birmingham. It was the first building to supply its tenants with electric power with its own power-generating plant and the water supply was . . . — — Map (db m27501) HM
On 20th Street (Alabama Route 269) at Ensley/5 Points W Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 20th Street.
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — — Map (db m25623) HM
On Lakeshore Drive at University Park East, on the right when traveling east on Lakeshore Drive.
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles.
. . . — — Map (db m26963) HM
On Montgomery Highway (U.S. 31) at Braddock Drive, on the right when traveling south on Montgomery Highway.
The City of Hoover has grown rapidly since its incorporation in 1967 from a small four block area west of this site. A metal shed behind Employers Ins. Co. became the first fire station and “city hall.” A bank, grocery, hardware, drug . . . — — Map (db m28448) HM
On Park Avenue at Rockland Drive, on the right when traveling north on Park Avenue.
51 Structures, 70% residential, built early 20th century to post World War II period.
The 1885 sale of Gardner Hale’s land began the housing development. The 33 acre 1924 Independent Presbyterian Church Children’s Fresh Air Farm, 1923 Bluff Park . . . — — Map (db m28518) HM
On Main Street (U. S. Highway 11) at Parkway Drive, on the left when traveling east on Main Street (U. S. Highway 11).
A total of 243 houses and 44 duplex units were constructed from 1936 - 1938 at an overall cost of $2,661,981.26. Cahaba residents rented from the government until 1947, when the houses and duplexes were sold to individuals at prices ranging from . . . — — Map (db m26227) HM
On Florence Blvd., on the right when traveling west.
At this site where once stood Fort Willingham (Armory) the 115th Signal Battalion was organized December 1, 1940. Originally the 2nd Battalion, 151st Engineers, it was organized a number of times from 1940 to 1959 as its mission was changed to meet . . . — — Map (db m28562) HM
On McFarland Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
This bottom land serves as a reservoir for TVA's flood control program.
Florence leases it for recreational purposes when not being used by TVA.
Major Robert McFarland, a native of Ireland, his wife, Kate Armstead McFarland, and their seven . . . — — Map (db m28453) HM
On Alabama Route 64 at County Road 89, on the right when traveling west on State Route 64.
Established in 1894 as New Salem Presbyterian Church. Originally affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the first recorded meeting was held 1897, William White, Pastor.
The Church became affiliated with Presbyterian U.S.A. in 1907. . . . — — Map (db m86305) HM
On Clinton Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford . . . — — Map (db m84306) HM
On Upper Fort Hampton Road (County Route 49) east of Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east.
01: Looking south on Railroad Street.
02: McWilliams Store, June 1913.
03: Drugstore interior, 1940s.
04: Citizens' Bank, early 1900s.
05: Elkmont Post Office, circa 1900s.
06: Telephone switchboard, early 1900s.
07: Elkmont Post . . . — — Map (db m93856) HM
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
Named in honor of Alexander Moss White of Brooklyn, New York, with funds donated by his children. This structure opened fall 1909. The building was officially dedicated in January 1910 was a dormitory for women. A bronze tower with clock was added . . . — — Map (db m101906) HM
On Eastside Square at Eustis Avenue Southeast, on the right on Eastside Square.
Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — — Map (db m27850) HM
On Governors Drive (U.S. 431), on the right when traveling east.
The First Baptist Church Huntsville Alabama
Oldest Baptist Church (Missionary) in Alabama organized June 3, 1809 as the West Fork of Flint River Church. Presiding Clergy:
John Canterbury, John McCutchen and John Nicholson.
Renamed Enon Church . . . — — Map (db m30378) HM
On Monroe Street at Williams Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Monroe Street.
Tom Goodman Thrasher
August 4, 1916
December 19, 1999
-Grew up in Birmingham, Alabama
-Studied Engineering at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa
-Married the former Dorothy Wright of Belmont, Mississippi
-Served in the Army in North . . . — — Map (db m85611) HM
On Wallace Lane (County Highway 100) west of Billy D. Harbin Road, on the right when traveling west.
On this site, inventor and early aviation pioneer William Lafayette Quick and his sons designed and built the first airplane to be flown in the State of Alabama. Construction began in 1900. Awaiting an engine, it took nearly eight years to complete. . . . — — Map (db m85841) HM
On Conti Street at South Joachim Street, on the left when traveling west on Conti Street.
"I want to take this occasion to say that the United States will never again seek one additional foot of territory by conquest. She will devote herself to showing that she knows how to make honorable and fruitful use of the territory she has and she . . . — — Map (db m86381) HM
On North Broadnax Street (Alabama Route 49) at Columbus Street, on the right when traveling south on North Broadnax Street.
Peace Officers who gave their
lives in the line of duty
Larry Neal Stone
Camp Hill PD
December 20, 1968
Roland Hicks, Jr.
Camp Hill PD
August 10, 1969
Clarence Martin . . . — — Map (db m95078) HM
On Greensboro Avenue north of 2nd Street (Jack Warner Parkway), on the left.
Navigation improvements to the Black Warrior River (1888-1895) spurred marine commerce throughout the 20th century. Local ship-builders included the Perkins Brothers, Herman & Son, Corp of Engineers Boatyard, and Baker Towboat. Vessel types included . . . — — Map (db m28924) HM
Near Steese Highway (at milepost 8.4), on the right when traveling north.
On November 16, 1973, through Presidential approval of pipeline legilation, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company received
permission to begin construction of the 800-mile trans Alaska pipeline, its pump stations and the Marine Terminal at . . . — — Map (db m20215) HM
On Fire Control Road or "Control Road" (Route NF 64) 13.8 miles east of Arizona Route 260, on the left when traveling east.
On June 25, 1990 a lightning caused fire entrapped ten members of the Perryville fire crew in this canyon. Resulting in six fatalities. Before the fire was contained it had burned more than 24,000 acres and destroyed over 70 structures.
This . . . — — Map (db m28210) HM
On Myrtle Point Trail 0 miles north of NF 431, on the left.
These Trees Planted in Memory of the Firefighters Who Died in the Dude Fire June 26, 1990
Sandra J. Bachman • Joseph Chacon • Alex S. Contreras • James L. Denny • James E. Ellis • Curtis E. Springfield — — Map (db m28211) HM
On Mohave Road 11.7 miles south of Arizona Route 95, on the right when traveling north.
[ The single 30 foot concrete pillar of the monument symbolizes "unity of spirit". The hexagonal base represents a Japanese stone lantern. The 12 small pillars situated around the monument make it a working sundial. Mounted on the 30 foot pillar . . . — — Map (db m32258) HM
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S.
Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor
Dedicated December 7, 1976
The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona
The contributions . . . — — Map (db m26425) HM
Father Albert was a young missionary and teacher to the Mescalero Apaches in New Mexico and other tribes in Arizona.
Father Braun was an Army chaplain in World War I and World War II receiving the Purple Heart and two Silver Stars for his heroic . . . — — Map (db m26830) HM
"Were it not for the Navajos, the Marines would never have taken Iwo Jima" Major Howard Connor, USMC 5th Marine Division
In recognition of the Navajo Code Talkers who
distinguished themselves in developing a Navajo . . . — — Map (db m26823) HM
The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial
is dedicated to those Arizona men and women
who served during the Korean War
June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953
Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial Commissioners
MG Donald L. Owens, AZ ANG . . . — — Map (db m27350) WM
On Andy Devine Avenue (Business Interstate 40) at 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Andy Devine Avenue.
This building has been placed on
The National Register of
By the United States Department of the Interior.
Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe
Kingman's early existence depended upon the . . . — — Map (db m29412) HM
On East 9th Street, on the right when traveling east.
1928 — Built by the T.C. Triplett Company for Harold M. Brooks as a 46-room hotel.
1928-1974 — Remained in operation as an active hotel.
1982 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1991 — . . . — — Map (db m27078) HM
On East Congress Street at South 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Congress Street.
The venerable Hotel Congress, designed by well-known architect, Roy Place, is the last surviving historic hotel in downtown Tucson. This three-story landmark was built in 1919 with exposed masonry construction and marble details. The hotel, south of . . . — — Map (db m83200) HM
On North Court Avenue south of West Council Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Sanborn Fire Maps for the City of Tucson first recorded this building in 1883 as an adobe dwelling with an attached ramada. Between 1901 and 1930 additions were made to the main building and construction was completed on the outbuilding behind . . . — — Map (db m83244) HM
The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell . . . — — Map (db m31199) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service. Defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — — Map (db m27206) HM
On Sacaton Road (Arizona Route 87) at Sacaton-Casa Blanca Road, on the right when traveling east on Sacaton Road.
Ira H. Hayes USMC
February 23rd 1992
by the Memorial Committee
Lance Lewis Director,
Shirley Lewis Coordinator
JR Currea Artist
In Country Vietnam Veterans
Post 2 Tempe Arizona
Ira H. Hayes American . . . — — Map (db m32845) HM
To those responsible for the Arizona pioneer's home
A. J. Doran
Introduced enabling legislation - 1907
Supervised construction - 1910
First Superintendent – 1911
George D. Morris
Successful enabling . . . — — Map (db m32903) HM
On East Gurley Street (Route 89) near Marina Street, on the right when traveling west.
After ten years of planning, community leaders of Prescott finally raised sufficient funds to build a modern hotel which catered to the "auto tourist" in downtown Prescott -- The Hassayampa Inn. On February 28, 1927, at the site of the former Conner . . . — — Map (db m20621) HM
On Cortez Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Hotel Vendome, referred to in a contemporary newspaper article as an "apartment house", was built on South Cortez Street in 1917 by J. B. Jones. An article in Yavapai Magazine in November 1917 refers to it as the "Hotel Vendome" and states "its . . . — — Map (db m18862) HM
On S. Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89) near W. Gurley St and S. Montezuma St., on the left when traveling south.
Prescott, Yavapai County Seat, founded 1864 on Granite Creek, source of Placer gold. Named for William Hickling Prescott, Historian, first Gov. JN. N. Goodwin, Appointee of Abraham Lincoln. Established first territorial capital of Arizona here. At . . . — — Map (db m18805) HM
The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association jointly recognize this significant tree in this bicentennial year as having lived here during the American Revolutionary Period. 1776 1976.
[Added brass . . . — — Map (db m18861) HM
Founded in 1910 by C. D. "Bullet" Hyten, a master potter, the Niloak Pottery operated in Benton for 37 years. The unique multicolored spiral pieces were hand turned using natural colored clays dug from nearby "Pottery Hill." Niloak, kaolin spelled . . . — — Map (db m104026) HM
Service Station and Car Dealership
Situated on the Original Route
of the Lincoln Highway
City of Livermore
Historic Preservation Site
Dedicated July 1996
The . . . — — Map (db m19994) HM
At roughly 45 feet high, the Meadowlark Dairy silo was a distinctive visual landmark. This circular paving marks the silo’s approximate location. The original silo and barn were much larger. Silage, fodder for animals, is created by partially . . . — — Map (db m24663) HM
There were once many buildings on the Meadowlark Dairy complex. One important building was a place for the ranch hands and workers to sleep and socialize. This bunkhouse is a smaller version of the one that was at the dairy. The current Foothill . . . — — Map (db m24665) HM
On West Estudillo Avenue at Carpentier Street on West Estudillo Avenue.
West side of marker:
San Leandro’s first industries served the needs of farmers. In 1886, Daniel Best bought San Leandro Plow and formed Daniel Best Agriculture Works to manufacture tractors, combines, and harvesters. Best’s son . . . — — Map (db m26437) HM
Civil Engineering Landmark
Alameda Creek Water System
San Francisco Section A802 1975
Restoration of the Sunol Water Temple
Started May 27, 1997 . . . — — Map (db m24499) HM
On East Main Street at North Church Street, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street.
Michael C. Bohl, Mayor • Bobbie Potts, Mayor Pro Tem • Gary Beck, Councilman • Jim Brazil, Councilman • Loreta Tillery, Councilwoman
Randy L. Johnsen, City Administrator • Janic Traverso, City Clerk • Guy Reynolds, . . . — — Map (db m2376) HM
On North Church Street, on the right when traveling north.
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell. The twelve mile long railroad lies entirely within Amador County and is one of the shortest railroads in this country. Iron Ivan is a fine . . . — — Map (db m2371) HM
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — — Map (db m13966) HM
On Sutter Hill Road at Old Ridge Road when traveling east on Sutter Hill Road.
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — — Map (db m13084) HM
Near Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Discoverer and Founder
California Carrara Marble Quarry
Located 3.49 miles southwest of this location on Sutter Creek Volcano Road several hundred feet above the river. This quarry produced high quality marble used in the . . . — — Map (db m27809) HM
The rail yard housed the depot, a water tank, a stockyard, as well as a siding and spur. A motorcar house was located further up the track. The depot was retired on January 19, 1960.
The coming of the railroad was the major event that sparked . . . — — Map (db m29674) HM
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — — Map (db m13003) HM
On Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway (State Highway 4), on the right when traveling east.
For more than 80 years, the area was known as Onion Valley due to the profusion of wild onions growing here. It was mainly used as a summer stock range. In the late 1860-70’s a sawmill was operated by C. Brown. Later a man called . . . — — Map (db m40974) HM
On West First Street, on the right when traveling west.
In the early 19th century many canneries operated throughout California. The rich agricultural and fishing areas of east Contra Costa County hosted a number of canneries and packing sheds. The picturesque Antioch waterfront was home to two canneries . . . — — Map (db m18292) HM
On Highway 49 (Main Street), on the left when traveling north.
This beer garden, a recent addition to Coloma, was built by Jim Bridgham in the mid 1950s. Jim and his sister Margaret operated a business called the “Hitching Rack” and built the beer garden so the “locals” could sit around, . . . — — Map (db m17429) HM
On Marshall Parkway, on the left when traveling north.
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — — Map (db m17484) HM
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — — Map (db m17455) HM
On Highway 49 (Main Street), on the right when traveling north.
Perly Monroe was the grandson of Peter and Nancy Gooch, who were freed from slavery here when California became a state in 1850. The Monroe family became successful fruit farmers and prominent property holders in Coloma. Built in 1925, this house is . . . — — Map (db m17205) HM
On Highway 49 (Main Street), on the left when traveling north.
This home is located near the site of an 1853-1864 bakery and confectionery store and owned and operated by Luther Davis. The impressive Davis home was located on the hill, some 100 feet behind the bakery. Both were dismantled after 1885. This . . . — — Map (db m17164) HM
On Highway 49 (Main Street), on the right when traveling north.
This house was built in 1916 by Charles Schulze for his daughter Daisy, who visited Coloma occasionally. Schulze had been a miner, blacksmith, teamster and mason. In 1886 he fell heir to the Sierra Nevada House and became a hotelkeeper. He died in . . . — — Map (db m17170) HM
Board of Supervisors
John M. Caswell – District 1, William V.D. Johnson – District 2, Thomas M. Goodloe, Jr. – District 3, Raymond E. Lawyer, Chairman – District 4, Gerald E. Martin – District 5.
Robert Mason, . . . — — Map (db m12755) HM
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S.
Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919
Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949
California State . . . — — Map (db m57974) HM
In 1852 Phillip L. Platt preempted a ½ quarter section here. He erected a log building for the lodging of miners. He named his hotel The Kossuth House. Dr. Platt died in 1853. His widow sold the property to Anna W. Clark for $200 in 1856. She . . . — — Map (db m13165) HM
A native of Plunkett, Saskatchewan, Canada. Graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Civil Engineering, began work with the Division of Highways in 1936. He worked in many positions and locations throughout his career, becoming State . . . — — Map (db m1509) HM
A founder of Shelter Cove with brothers Tony and Babe Machi. A ready smile, a friendly wave, a faraway look waiting for his fishermen to return—we’re thankful we’ve known this gentle man.
A hero in war. Survivor . . . — — Map (db m1057) HM
On Washington Boulevard at Jasmine Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Washington Boulevard.
On this site in the year 1915 was founded the first motion picture studio in Culver City, built by Thomas H. Ince. In 1919, Samuel Goldwyn succeeded to the title to this and adjoining property for his production company in 1924, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer . . . — — Map (db m128144) HM
Built in 1901 by Colonel J. W. Eddy, lawyer, engineer, and friend of President Lincoln, Angel's Flight is said to be the world's shortest incorporated railway. The counterbalanced cars, controlled by cables, travel a 33 percent grade for 315 . . . — — Map (db m120118) HM
Near East Obseratory Ave., on the right when traveling west.
Key scenes from the
classic motion picture "Rebel Without a Cause"
were filmed at the Griffith Observatory
in Spring 1955. Although many movies
have been filmed at Griffith Observatory,
"Rebel Without a Cause"was the first to
portray the . . . — — Map (db m20240) HM
On Riverside Drive at Los Feliz Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on Riverside Drive.
A penniless Irish immigrant boy who rose by the force of his industry, intelligence, integrity and intrepidity to be a sturdy American citizen, a self-educated engineering genius, a whole-hearted humanitarian, the father of the city's water system, . . . — — Map (db m32188) HM
On Angel's Gate Park west of South Gaffey Street, on the right when traveling south.
The friendship bell, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, was presented as a gift from the people of the Republic of Korea to the people of the United States of America on the occasion of the American Bicentennial Jubilee to further the friendship and . . . — — Map (db m51064) HM
On Ocean Drive south of California Avenue / California Incline, on the right when traveling south.
To honor George T. Hastings, author of “Trees of Santa Monica,” October 10, 1963—his 88th birthday—in appreciation of his dedication in sharing his knowledge and love of trees, flowers and birds.
To honor Grace L. . . . — — Map (db m130429) HM
Shell Oil Company – Alamitos No. 1 •
June 25, 1921.
One of the world’s most famous wells, Alamitos No. 1, was started on March 23, 1921, and completed June 25, 1921, at a depth of 3,114 feet, flowing 590 barrels of oil a day.
. . . — — Map (db m2476) HM
On Foothill Boulevard 0.1 miles north of Balboa Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
This is the terminus of the Los Angeles-Owens River Aqueduct, which brings water 338 miles from the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada to the City of Los Angeles. Begun in 1905, the great aqueduct was completed November 5, 1913. The Mono Craters . . . — — Map (db m20089) HM
On Newhall Ranch Road (State Highway 126) at Golden State Freeway (Interstate 5), on the right when traveling east on Newhall Ranch Road.
The super highway of its day when opened in 1915, The Ridge Route, California’s first mountain highway, has been credited by some (for better or worse) as saving the state from being divided into two separate states. Constructed, graded, and paved . . . — — Map (db m121867) HM
This two-story, clapboard structure, known as the Burdell Frame House, was built in 1874 for Mary Burdell’s cousin, Mary Joynsen.
Originally a rectangle building, it has been modified with a projecting, two story addition on the end facing . . . — — Map (db m13246) HM
The Civic Center Complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The Administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the . . . — — Map (db m32748) HM
On State Highway 108 (Sonora Pass) 0.4 miles west of U.S. 395, on the left when traveling east.
Was established in 1951, in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service. One of the Corps most remote and isolated posts. The mission was providing cold weather training for Korea bound replacement personnel. The name changed to “Marine Corp Cold . . . — — Map (db m11919) HM
A distinctive local landmark and nationally renowned tourist attraction. It was the creation of - Nellie Bly O’Bryan (1893–1984), visionary, entrepreneur and long time resident of the Mono Basin.
Originally, located along US-395 north of . . . — — Map (db m10167) HM
On Crowley Lake Drive, on the right when traveling south.
The first permanent rope tow in the Eastern Sierra was built west of this site on the east slope of McGee Mountain. This predecessor of Mammoth Mountain ski area was constructed here in 1938 because of its dependable snow and nearness to a highway. . . . — — Map (db m2951) HM
This beautiful Victorian was built by merchant J. J. Conner in 1897, and sold at the turn of the century to John Ernst and Olive Hamilton Steinbeck. On February 27,1902 John Steinbeck was born in what is now the reception room. He remained a . . . — — Map (db m25107) HM
Near Larkmead Lane 0.4 miles east of St. Helena Highway (California Highway 29/128).
Felix Salmina arrived from Switzerland in the 1860’s and in 1892 purchased this winery that had been established in 1884 by Lillian Hitchcock Coit. Felix converted the winery into a larger facility using stone quarried from nearby hills and expanded . . . — — Map (db m18601) HM
Lyman Gilmore, Jr. established the first commercial airport on this site in 1907. To him and his memory the people of this community dedicate this school as the:
Lyman Gilmore School
Grass Valley School District
Board of Trustees
Brian A. . . . — — Map (db m13289) HM
Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It . . . — — Map (db m12898) HM
On North Bloomfield Road at Relief Hill Road, on the left when traveling east on North Bloomfield Road.
This picnic area, sponsored by Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Steward Chapter Number 10, E Clampus Vitus, is for the enjoyment of all. The redwood lumber for the tables came from Nevada City's Christmas Tree, a Sequoiadendron Giganteum and continues to . . . — — Map (db m857) HM
On Sacramento Street near Auburn Folsom Road, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of Henry Gietzen,
Member of the Auburn Volunteer Fire Department since September 12, 1922;
Fire Chief from 1946 to present.
Dedicated in July 1974.
William Chaix, Trustee; Egar E. Ganow, Trustee; Henry Gietzen, Fire Chief; J. A. . . . — — Map (db m687) HM
On East Grass Valley Street, on the right when traveling south.
Depot was 100 yards N.E. of this spot. Built by John Flint Kidder between 1874-76. It ran 22 miles from Colfax to Nevada City via Grass Valley. Rails taken up on 1942. Sarah Kidder, widow of builder , world’s first woman railroad president 1901 . . . — — Map (db m14438) HM
Erected in 1863 – 1864
By John Ziegenbein as a general store
Sold to Herman Lohse 1879; to George Aldrich 1881;
To A.C. Fleming (& Alex Hemphill) in 1888
Bank of Lincoln, Lincoln’s first bank, here 1902 – 1911
U.S. Post . . . — — Map (db m17784) HM
Near Chiriaco Road (Business Interstate 10) just north of Summit Road, on the left when traveling east.
The D.T.C was established by Major General George S. Patton Jr. in response to a need to train American combat troops for battle in North Africa during World War II. The camp, which began operation in 1942 covered 18,000 square miles. It was the . . . — — Map (db m50700) HM
Near Chiriaco Road north of Interstate 10, on the left when traveling east.
[This is a four sided monument displaying three different markers:]
Front - Facing West:
Desert Training Center
* Camp Young *
Maj. Gen. George S. Patton Jr., U.S. Army, selected Camp Young as headquarters site for the Desert . . . — — Map (db m32139) HM
On Old Town Front Street at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Old Town Front Street.
Built in 1912 by Eli Barnett.
Completed in 1914, the Temecula bank was locally owned and known as the "Pawn Shop" by its
rancher directors. The bank was robbed on August 13th, 1930. The robber was promptly captured by townspeople and the loot was . . . — — Map (db m26202) HM
In 1908 Elk Grove acquired through the efforts of Miss Harriet G. Eddy, then principal of Elk Grove Union High School, the first county free library branch in California. Subsequently, California's county free library branch system has become one of . . . — — Map (db m11868) HM
The Lincoln Highway, a coast to coast all weather road from Times Square in New York to San Francisco’s Lincoln Park, was an idea whose birthday was the 10th of September 1912. This road which freed America from the clutches of changeable weather . . . — — Map (db m18026) HM
Near Pennsylvania Avenue near the north bank of the American River.
Named in honor of Jim Jones whose love for the American River and fervor to protect its fisheries and flow levels greatly enhanced the river and parkway.
When this bridge was no longer needed for mining activities, Jim fought to save it so that . . . — — Map (db m377) HM
The river before you is not the same river that flowed through here 200 years ago when the Nisenan Indians caught salmon and collected acorns along its bank. The river has been mined, dammed and surrounded by our cities, yet it still supports . . . — — Map (db m15836) HM
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
In memory of the industrious Chinese pioneers of California whose strength and sacrifice helped build the transcontinental railroad, construct the levees of the Sacramento San Joaquin Delta, and develop agriculture in the Central Valley. With . . . — — Map (db m18234) HM
The California Almond Growers Exchange founded in 1910, was first successful grower-owned co-operative for marketing California almonds. It pioneered in many fields, including almond production, mechanization and marketing. The first structure on . . . — — Map (db m11862) HM
On August 19, 1931, famous Golf Course Designer Dr. Alister MacKenzie was selected by the City of Sacramento to lay out the new Sacramento Municipal 18-Hole Golf Course, which opened for play on October 1, 1932. The course name was changed to . . . — — Map (db m14938) HM
BORN August 11, 1846
DIED April 26, 1905
This monument is dedicated to
Dr. Pendery, his family, and all the
men and women of medicine who were
moved here from the New Helvetia
Cemetery in 1955 – 1956.
Erected June 12, 1999 by . . . — — Map (db m18946) HM
This was the site of home plate at Edmonds Field, home of the Pacific Coast League’s Sacramento Solons Baseball Team for fifty years. More than 4,200 games were played here over those years and Solon fans set several PCL attendance records.
The . . . — — Map (db m17071) HM
The original building was located on land at the S. E. corner of 7th and L Sts. Donated by Capt. John Sutter. It was known as The Baltimore Chapel. Prefabricated in Baltimore and shipped around The Horn, it became the first house of worship in . . . — — Map (db m11885) HM
This plaque is dedicated to Frank C. Freer by the City of Sacramento in recognition
of his commitment of over 50 years to improving the game of golf in Sacramento, California.
• Member-Sacramento Golf Club at Haggin Oaks
• Member-Sacramento . . . — — Map (db m14907) HM
This mansard-styled Victorian house was built for Albert Gallatin in 1877. Acquired by the State, it served as the first official Governor's residence. Governor George C. Pardee and his family moved in during November, 1903. It ultimately served as . . . — — Map (db m13882) HM
Historic Street Lights
Traffic Signals &
Street Lighting Employees
City of Sacramento
Department of Public Works
Allen L. Bender, . . . — — Map (db m16521) HM
• 1998 National PGA Golf Professional of the Year
• 1998 National PGA Merchandiser of the Year (Public Course)
• 1994 National PGA Horton-Smith Award Winner
• 1990 National PGA Merchandiser of the Year (Public Course)
Ken Morton, Sr. . . . — — Map (db m14857) HM
Dedicated to the Memory of
KENNETH L. MADDY
1934 – 2000
served in the California State Legislature from 1970 to 1998,
and as the Senate Minority Leader from 1987 to 1995.
”As someone who spent nearly three decades in the . . . — — Map (db m15028) HM
The house originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the State Executive Office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capital. It was later extensively remodeled and . . . — — Map (db m11842) HM
Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of
by direction of
The Honorable John W. Snyder
Secretary of Treasury
As the . . . — — Map (db m14837) HM
Dedicated to all Merchant Marine Seaman
Members of the U.S. Merchant Marines serving world wide aboard
U.S. Flag cargo ships during World War II suffered a greater
percentage of war-related deaths than did all of the
nation’s regular armed . . . — — Map (db m16493) HM
In recognition of Michael “Mac” McDonagh for his 32 years of service as Superintendent of Golf for the City of Sacramento from 1932 – 1964. Mac McDonagh went to England in 1923 to become an apprentice in golf course construction . . . — — Map (db m14939) HM
On 43rd Street at Folsom Boulevard on 43rd Street.
In memory of the persons
Laid to rest between
1849 and 1912 by the
County of Sacramento at
New Helvetia Cemetery
Dedicated by the
Board of Supervisors
Sacramento County Cemetery Advisory Commission . . . — — Map (db m18967) HM
The second world war found river transportation companies continuing service on the Sacramento River while under the restrictions of wartime conditions. In the 1950’s, river commerce consisted of the transportation of barges of bulk grain, . . . — — Map (db m16467) HM
Since statehood, the people of California have sought and cherished a quality of life unsurpassed in this great nation. There have been among us those who chose to serve as peace officers and when called upon unselfishly gave more than we have the . . . — — Map (db m14814) HM
“The Docks” has had a remarkably varied occupational history. Gold Rush immigrants camped along the riverbank. In the following years, a limited number of individuals and families lived in the area in private residences and lodging . . . — — Map (db m16511) HM
Named in honor of
Dr. Guy A. West
Founding President of
Sacramento State College
(1947 – 1966)
Under his guidance and dedicated
leadership, the university grew from
four faculty and fewer than two
hundred students to a . . . — — Map (db m19578) HM
Another distinctive era in the demographic history of the southern waterfront occurred when the construction of several interurban railroad lines along Front Street revitalized the area. In the first decade of the 20th century, several interurban . . . — — Map (db m16544) HM
In 1911, the Northern Electric Railway Company, along with Sacramento and Yolo counties, built the Northern Electric Bridge. The bridge carried a single railroad track with twin motor-vehicle roadways. Pedestrian walks cantilevered from the central . . . — — Map (db m16492) HM
The Tower Bridge, a vertical-lift span, was opened for traffic on December 15, 1935 and was built at a cost of $994,000. The State Department of Public Works, the City and the County of Sacramento and the Federal Government built the bridge.
It . . . — — Map (db m16489) HM
Throughout history, two categories of ships, merchants and naval combatants, have carried out the world’s seagoing activities. Those of the merchant marine, known as merchantmen, carry cargo, passengers, and perform special functions during times of . . . — — Map (db m16468) HM
Identifying A Need
By the early 1930’s, Americans were moving away from trains and ships and turning to automobiles as their mode of transporation. As a result, traffic on roadways increased dramatically. In Sacramento, M Street (now . . . — — Map (db m16490) HM
Constructed during the early years of the Vietnam War, she was commissioned as a “Combat Supply and Auxiliary Support Ship” (AEO-1). At 793’ and 53,000 tons, she is by far the largest ship in the U.S. Fleet to be named . . . — — Map (db m72896) WM
Brought into service in 1914 to join the United States “Great White Fleet”, dubbed such for the sparkling white paint used on naval ships at the time, she was in service 28 years and two world wars. A 226-foot gleaming white steam . . . — — Map (db m16475) HM
As part of our nation’s maritime history, USS Sacramento steamed more than one-half million miles during her proud service in the United States Navy.
She logged 64,000 miles convoying 483 ships through submarine-infested European waters during . . . — — Map (db m16483) HM
This marker has been dedicated in memory of more than six hundred persons of Japanese ancestry reinterred here in 1956 with several thousand others, whose remains were removed from New Helvetia Cemetery, the present site of Sutter Middle . . . — — Map (db m18938) HM
In Celebration of the
U.S.Geological Survey's Centennial
1879 - 1979
Dedicated July 4, 1979
SAN JUAN BAUTISTA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
In Cooperation With
Old Mission San Juan Bautista-Diocese of . . . — — Map (db m15340) HM
On Euclid Avenue (California Route 83) near C Street, in the median.
This fountain was built by the Women's
Christian Temperance Union and dedicated
to this City of Ontario on July 4th 1908, to
provide the town with "a drinking fountain
where only the pure, sparkling water
can be had at any time by the . . . — — Map (db m37513) HM
Navy Cross for the 25 October 1944 action off Samar. Admiral Sprague was aboard the escort carrier, USS Fanshaw Bay during this engagement.
Legion of Merit Medal for his command of the USS Wasp.
Gold Star in lieu of . . . — — Map (db m8521) HM
Near North Harbor Blvd north of West G Street when traveling west.
[Seals of the Department of the Navy: U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps]
“The air fleet of an enemy will never get within striking distance of our coast as long as our aircraft carriers are able to carry . . . — — Map (db m61543) HM WM
In Honor of
Ripon High School Students
KIA World War II
Radomir Kilak • Henry Bouma • Raymond Clifton • Lyman Fulton • Billy Haller • Jack Harp • John Kamps • Paul Madsen • Oscar Poelstra • Carl Peterson • Viggo Peterson • John Smit • John Van . . . — — Map (db m19522) HM
Built in the spirit of the “City Beautiful” movement, the Stockton City Hall provides an outstanding example of 1920’s construction techniques and design. The building’s Renaissance Revival Style was determined by a collaboration of . . . — — Map (db m15966) HM
Sister city affiliations between the United States and other nations began shortly after World War II, and developed into a national initiative when President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed the “people-to-people” program at a White House . . . — — Map (db m24224) HM
Dedicated to all men and women
of Stockton, many of whom paid
the ultimate sacrifice, who
served their country overseas
and on the home front during
World War II, December 1941
through September 1945. May
their devotion to duty and . . . — — Map (db m15973) HM
On Hillcrest Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Nitt Witt Ridge, one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments, is the creation of Arthur Harold Beal (Der Tinkerpaw or Capt. Nitt Witt), a Cambria Pines pioneer who sculpted the land using hand tools and indigenous . . . — — Map (db m50545) HM
On California Drive at Burlingame Ave. on California Drive.
This first permanent building in the Mission Revival style of architecture was designed by George H. Howard and J. B. Mathison and financed by local residents and the Southern Pacific Railroad. It opened for service on October 10, 1894. The roof . . . — — Map (db m86792) HM
On El Camino Real near Serramonte Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
Resing & Mc Ginnes
Contractor H.H. Smith
Incorporated as Lawndale
In Aug. 1924. The Town’s name
was changed to Colma in Nov. 1941
Originally the Town Hall
served as a traffic court,
post office, health dept. and . . . — — Map (db m18401) HM
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
The decade of the 1870’s saw an influx of European immigrants into the Half Moon Bay area and over to the coast. Irish, German, Italian, and Portuguese made up the majority of the newcomers whose numbers included merchants, business people, dairy . . . — — Map (db m13747) HM
On 18 January 1911, Eugene Eli flew a Curtis Pusher biplane from this location, Tanforan Park, and landed on a wooden platform constructed aboard the Navy Cruiser USS Pennsylvania anchored in the San Francisco Bay. The first shipboard . . . — — Map (db m18414) HM
Near Coyote Point Drive near North Bayshore Boulevard.
The idea to build an amusement park at this site was conceived by local civic leaders. This park would rival those at Coney Island and Atlantic City.
The Pacific City site was 90 acres, stretching from Peninsula Avenue to Burlingame Avenue and . . . — — Map (db m28780) HM
This country estate was begun in 1915 for Mr. and Mrs. William B. Bourn, II. Architect Willis J. Polk designed a modified Georgian Style country house. Subsequently the carriage house and garden pavilion were executed by Arthur Brown. The formal . . . — — Map (db m18450) HM
On Hope Street near Elizabeth Street, on the left when traveling north.
Established ca.1906, Bayside Canning Company expanded to become the third largest cannery in the United States by 1931. Under the leadership of Thomas Foon Chew, Bayside was the first cannery in the world to can green asparagus. The main building . . . — — Map (db m24364) HM
Water in Alviso is a complex issue that touches on the environment, economics, and life safety. Already susceptible to flooding, Alviso’s situation was worsened by regional development. Hard paving, which prevented water absorption into the ground, . . . — — Map (db m24414) HM
Near Civic Center Drive near North Central Avenue.
The Campbell Volunteer Fire Department officially began in 1912. Keeping track of ladders was a problem and the need for a fire station became apparent. An ad placed in the newspaper urged "all parties to leave ladders belonging to fire dept. in . . . — — Map (db m24251) HM
[The Morgan Hill Centennial Project is a very unusual ‘marker’. It was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Morgan Hill. One starts at the center of the marker and then proceeds along an expanding spiral . . . — — Map (db m46097) HM
On Channing Avenue at Emerson Street on Channing Avenue.
Original site of the laboratory and factory of Federal Telegraph Company, founded in 1909 by Cyril F. Elwell. Here, with two assistants, Dr. Lee de Forest, inventor of the three-element radio vacuum tube, devised in 1911-13 the first vacuum tube . . . — — Map (db m2604) HM
On University Avenue at Seneca Street, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue.
Designed by T. Paterson Ross and constructed by builder George W. Mosher in 1904, this house is a notable example of California's interpretation of the Greco-Roman Classic Revival movement in America. — — Map (db m2715) HM
The first workable quicksilver mine in North America – First mine of any kind in California – First worked 1824 – Denounced November 1845. Has produced more metallic wealth than any individual gold mine in California. Its discovery . . . — — Map (db m12924) HM
On 5th Street 0.1 miles north of Jackson Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1902 a San Jose Buddhist Church was founded as a recognized branch of the San Francisco Buddhist Church. In 1906 property at 630 North 5th Street was purchased and services conducted by the first resident minister from Japan Reverend Honen . . . — — Map (db m26221) HM
On Cabrillo Avenue at Santa Ynez Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Cabrillo Avenue.
This 1919 residence of a developing international style of architecture embodies Mrs. Herbert Hoover’s innovative architectural concepts. It was executed by architects A. B. Clark, Charles Davis, and Birge Clark, and was maintained as the Hoover . . . — — Map (db m2717) HM
On Monterey Avenue at Capitola Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Monterey Avenue.
California’s first seaside resort community was established here in 1869 by Mr. F. A. Hihn. The grand opening was held on July 4, 1874, for the 15 acre resort, located in the present Village and Depot Hill areas. The Superintendent’s Office, built . . . — — Map (db m2351) HM
On State Highway 299, on the right when traveling east.
This facility is dedicated to the men and women,
who battled the 1992 Fountain Fire,
and those who have worked and are working
to restore this forest to a healthy and productive part
of the local ecosystem.
During the dangerous salvage . . . — — Map (db m13741) HM
In the mid to late 1800’s you would have traveled here by horseback, mule train, stagecoach, or on foot. The rough road that would have led you here continued into the valley, now filled with Whiskeytown Lake. It passed near mining camps along . . . — — Map (db m14412) HM
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps on March 31, 1933, to provide employment for America's youth and promote the nation's economic recovery. The CCC's work involved conservation projects on forest, park . . . — — Map (db m547) HM
Founded September 24, 1854, with the first service conducted by lay reader Major F. D. Townsend, U.S. Army, in the “Old Capital Building”, constructed from plans presented by Colonel Julian McAlister, of the Benicia Arsenal, in April . . . — — Map (db m16322) HM
Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet is part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet (NDRF), owned and operated by U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration (MARAD). Established by the Merchant Ship Act of 1946, NDRF serves as a reserve which . . . — — Map (db m10794) HM
In 1882, Mathew Turner of San Francisco relocated his shipyard to Benicia. Turner, the most prodigious shipbuilder in North America, constructed 228 vessels, 169 of which were launched here. In 1913, the shipyard was purchased by James Robertson, . . . — — Map (db m31007) HM
The Ulatis Book Club initiated an early effort in 1905 to obtain a Carnegie Library Building Fund Grant. This effort was taken over in 1910 by the Saturday Club, which campaigned to establish a library district under the jurisdiction of the . . . — — Map (db m16845) HM
In recognition for his continuous dedication to the preservation of western history through his world – renowned artistic endeavors: for expressing his love of the Order through the sculptured likeness of the men who have labored to preserve . . . — — Map (db m54590) HM
Luther Burbank was born in Massachusetts on March 7, 1849 and arrived in Santa Rosa in October 1875. In 1884 he purchased four acres surrounding this site as a place for horticultural experiments. Here he lived and worked until his death on April . . . — — Map (db m12590) HM
This “modern brick building” with its distinctive cupola was built in 1891 by pioneer Sonoma merchant Frederick Duhring. It replaced the old Duhring Store, an adobe built in 1850 which had housed his mercantile established. In 1911 this . . . — — Map (db m54760) HM
On Fourth Street East, on the right when traveling north.
Here is 1825 the Franciscan Fathers of San Francisco Solano Mission planted the first vineyard in Sonoma Valley. The grapes were used for making sacramental wines. After secularization of the Mission in 1835, General Mariano G. Vallejo, Commander of . . . — — Map (db m15302) HM
This building is dedicated to Celso Viviani,
an Italian immigrant who came to Sonoma, California in 1910
Celso began making cheese in 1921 and started his cheese making business in 1931. He constructed this building in 1944 and opened the cheese . . . — — Map (db m15293) HM
2147 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1947