Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

20th Century Historical Markers

2148 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1748
 
Ceres War Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, May 29, 2009
Ceres War Memorial
California (Stanislaus County), Ceres — Ceres War Memorial
Remember those who Remembered us. The Living – The Dead The POW – The MIA They Will Not Be Forgotten. Dedicated November 11. 1989 Founder Glen R. Perales Vietnam Vet W.W. I Sterling Pack • H. . . . — Map (db m19462) WM
California (Stanislaus County), Riverbank — Riverbank Historical Museum
This building was constructed in 1921 by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and served as a public library. In 1996 it was placed into the National Registry of Historic Places. The history of our community is preserved in this museum by the Riverbank . . . — Map (db m19460) HM
California (Tehama County), Red Bluff — Herbert S. Miles Safety Roadside Rest
In recognition of his contributions to the State highway system over a 42 year career and his leadership as District Engineer in establishing the Safety Roadside Rest Program in California. Redding Rotary and Friends — Map (db m1116) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Village — Francis Bonnington MathewsNovember 27, 1923 - June 30, 2000
Francis "Moose" Mathews was a public-minded citizen, community leader and masterful attorney for over 52 years, his pro-bono services and dedication to his clients, including the American Indian tribes of the Hoopa Valley and Klamath River, are well . . . — Map (db m32627) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Big Oak Flat — Joseph E. Lemos1892 – 1961
Initiated Ione Lodge 51 & Ione Rebeka Lodge 270 – 1931 Transferred Yosemite Lodge 97 – 1941 Big Oak Rebeka Lodge 259 – 1947 District Deputy Grand Master 1943 & 1958 District Deputy Grand Marshall 1948 & 1953 Appointed . . . — Map (db m14265) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Chinese Camp — Don Pedro Lake
Created by Don Pedro Dam on the Tuolumne River near LaGrange. This project was completed in 1971 to provide irrigation, domestic water, flood control, electricity, recreation and fish enhancement. Constructed by City and County of San Francisco . . . — Map (db m13199) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — Columbia Masonic Temple
Erected 1855 Razed 1891 Restored 1949 by the Grand Lodge F.&A.M. of California — Map (db m12019) HM
California (Yolo County), West Sacramento — Sacramento SkylineWest Sacramento River Walk
Just across the river and county line from West Sacramento is the City of Sacramento, seen here in a 1920s photograph looking east from 4th Street down J Street. California’s capital city, which is also the seat of Sacramento County, has grown from . . . — Map (db m15723) HM
California (Yolo County), West Sacramento — The Rivers’ FlowWest Sacramento River Walk
Prior to European settlement in the mid-1800s, river flows in the valley changed with the seasons: spring torrents followed by low water during the summer. Construction of dams and other flood control measures during the mid-to late 1950s tamed the . . . — Map (db m15715) HM
California (Yolo County), West Sacramento — Tower BridgeWest Sacramento River Walk
Sacramento’s graceful Tower Bridge has spanned the river since 1936. It is the only historically significant vertical-lift bridge in California and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Lights added in 1986 in honor of its . . . — Map (db m15711) HM
California (Yolo County), West Sacramento — Veterans Plaza
[First Marker] SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR 1898 The Spanish-American War was a turning point in American history. It marked the first time that we sent troops overseas to defend freedom. Whether at San Juan Hill or Manila Bay, these founders of . . . — Map (db m15707) WM
California (Yolo County), Woodland — Main and Second Street 1920’sWoodland
. . . — Map (db m11756) HM
California (Yuba County), Marysville — Ellis Lake
Beautiful Ellis Lake and scenic surroundings were made possible through the foresight and enterprise of W. T. Ellis This plaque presented in honor of 65 years of Public service on the 87th birthday of W.T. Ellis, 3-17-53, by . . . — Map (db m17742) HM
California (Yuba County), Marysville — River Pumps
In 1895 pumps were installed at the confluence of the Yuba and Feather Rivers to protect the City of Marysville from the danger of flooding. These pumps with a capacity to pump 18,265 gallons per minute, helped to keep Marysville dry during the . . . — Map (db m17741) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Colorado State Capitol Time Capsule
Memorial Stone commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone of the Colorado State Capitol. The time capsule beneath this stone contains messages and memorabilia from the people of Colorado in 1990 to its people in 2090. . . . — Map (db m46059) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Denver CityLower Downtown Historic District — Established 1988 —
The area known today as Lower Downtown, is the Location of the original town of Denver. Gold seekers from Lawrence, Kansas staked the first claim in September of 1858, under the name St. Charles Town Association, but they left only one man to . . . — Map (db m27493) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 10w — Four CornersWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The four corners of 17th and Champa Streets are occupied by the Boston Building (1890), the Colorado National Bank (1915), the Railway Exchange (Title) Building (1937), and the Ideal Cement (Colorado Federal) Building (1907). All were built of . . . — Map (db m4659) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Oxford Hotel and AnnexLower Downtown Walking Tour
1891 The Oxford Hotel, built in 1891, is Denver's Oldest Hotel. Bankrolled by Brewer Adolph Zang and his partners Philip Feldhauser and William Mygatt, the hotel was designed by Denver's greatest 19th century architect, Frank E. Edbrooke. Through . . . — Map (db m6674) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Sugar Building 1906Lower Downtown Walking Tour
The sweet smell of success pervaded the Sugar Building from 1906, when it was constructed by the Great Western Sugar Company. During the 1920's, GW became the largest producer of sugar beets in the country. The original building was four stories . . . — Map (db m22304) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 14w — The Stock Market Crash of 1929Wall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Overnight, paper empires collapsed. Prominent businessman Claude Boettcher borrowed $2 million in life insurance and plunged into the market to recoup his losses. Fifty-six of Colorado’s 174 state and national banks closed their doors. — Map (db m135490) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Manitou Springs — 13 — Ute Pass
This memorial is the Property of the State of Colorado Ute Pass Named from the old Ute Trail which led from South Park through Manitou to the Plains. Traversed by the Utes on hunting and war expeditions. Improved highway built . . . — Map (db m32663) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Stepney Fire House #1
Stepney 1916 Stepney Fire House #1 The first volunteer fire company in Monroe included 45 men. The group’s 1st fire truck was purchased 2nd hand from a Bridgeport fire-fighting company with money raised in part from the proceeds of the annual . . . — Map (db m25343) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Old Greenwich — Sound Beach Railroad Station
Built 1892, moved to this location 1895. Renamed Old Greenwich Railroad Station 1931. Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m2485) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — 1985 Bicentennial Time Capsule
. . . — Map (db m33623) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Bear — NC-126 — Sgt. James P. Connor Memorial Circle
Born in Wilmington, Delaware, on January 12, 1919, James P. Connor entered the U.S. Army in January 1941. As a member of the 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, he was a participant in the amphibious landing at Cape Cavalaire in southern France. On August . . . — Map (db m10700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-176 — Archmere
This was once the home of John Jakob Raskob (1879-1950), financier, DuPont and General Motors executive, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and developer of the Empire State Building. Known as "The Patio," his palatial home was . . . — Map (db m14697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-114 — Sgt. William Lloyd NelsonCongressional Medal of Honor Recipient
William Lloyd Nelson was born near Dover, Delaware, on February 22, 1918. He was the son of J. Clarence and Carrie Phillips Nelson. Following his family's move to a farm near Middletown, he was educated in the public schools of the community. He . . . — Map (db m10609) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-134 — Site of Bellanca Airfield
An airfield, aircraft plant, and service hangar were built here in 1928 by Giuseppe Mario Bellanca and Henry B. duPont. An aviation pioneer, Bellanca immigrated from Italy in 1912. His plane Columbia was Charles Lindbergh's choice for a . . . — Map (db m14133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112CPreserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-129 — Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW
The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvements, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a . . . — Map (db m9974) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-122 — St. John the Baptist Church
In 1868, the original Old Village Presbyterian Church, which stood on this location, was purchased by Charles A. Murphey. The property was donated to the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, and the church was named St. Patrick's. It became a mission of . . . — Map (db m130170) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Veterans Memorial
In memory of the men from Newark who gave their lives in World War II and in honor of those who served in the great wars Ralph E. Adams • Woodrow W. Gravenor • Harold N. Sheaffer Robert G. Allen • Charles W. Greer, Jr. • Ralph R. Skillman James . . . — Map (db m9901) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — Wetland WaysBob Beck: Preserver of Port Penn Traditions
Port Penn is a community connected to its wetland landscape. Seasonal changes bring about changes in the lifestyles of Port Penners themselves. Autumn waterfowl hunting and winter muskrat trapping lead into spring shad runs and summer sturgeon . . . — Map (db m10438) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-113 — Frank E. Schoonover Studios
The Frank E. Schoonover Studios were constructed in 1905 by Wilmington philanthropist Samuel Bancroft, Jr. Plans were provided by architect E.L. Rice, incorporating a Queen Anne design with four contiguous units. The original occupants were Frank E. . . . — Map (db m13559) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-149 — Knotty Pine Restaurant
In 1875 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation requiring the racial segregation of public places such as train stations, hotels, and restaurants. For most of the next century this practice was strictly enforced. Established at this . . . — Map (db m10920) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......about 100 years ago from this spot.
Though is is not done today, ice skating on the Brandywine River used to be quite popular. In this photo from about 1913, park visitors enjoy the ice with their dogs! Photo Skating on West Street Dam — Map (db m13558) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-86 — South WilmingtonCradle of African-American Political Leadership
William J. Winchester, after serving 16 years on Wilmington City Council, became the first of his race elected to the Delaware House of Representatives. He served from 1948 until his death in 1952. Herman M. Holloway, Sr., became the first . . . — Map (db m130328) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Blades — SC-100 — Blades United Methodist Church
Formerly known as Cannon's Chapel, the first church building was constructed in the early 1870's on East High Street (then known as Concord Road). The Church was incorporated on July 16, 1877. In 1887, the Trustees of the Church purchased land at . . . — Map (db m4536) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — SC-132 — Site of Jacobs School #143
In 1863 the Sussex County Levy Court formally approved the creation of a new school district to serve the needs of local citizens. A frame schoolhouse was constructed on this site on land provided by Thomas Jacobs. Measuring twenty feet in width and . . . — Map (db m4537) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Pioneer of PreservationTed Harvey: Innovator for Preservation
Trussum Pond Tranquil waters trapped by a grist mill dam in the early nineteenth century made Trussum Pon a haven for the baldcypress. However, the trees now seen dotting the pond's surface are all that remain of a once extensive prehistoric . . . — Map (db m4540) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-164 — Seaford Fire Department
On November 14, 1901, a group of concerned citizens met in the Seaford town conncil room for the purpose of discussing the organization of a fire company. By the end of the month, over 50 person had volunteered. The company was formally named the . . . — Map (db m4819) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — Seaford Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those Seaford community veterans who died in the defense of our country. World War I Thomas Penington, Lewis A. Taylor, Frank C. Quails, Kemp Wright, Albert H. Waller Korea Vernon L. DeShields, . . . — Map (db m4994) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-197 — Stein Highway
This roadway is named for Samuel J. Stein (B. 1878 - D. 1961). A native of Austria, Mr. Stein came to Seaford in 1897. He was active in the business and civic affairs of the community for more than half a century. In the 1920s the State of Delaware . . . — Map (db m4993) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Named in honor of Major Walter Reed, pioneer in military medicine. Although first envisioned during the Civil War, it was not until 1909 that an army general hospital was built in Washington. Named in honor of Major Walter Reed, famed for . . . — Map (db m14164) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Delaware Avenue & Columbus Circle, NEHistorical Information
Union Station Architecture by Daniel Burnham, 1908 Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, this was the world's largest train station when it opened - the station and terminal zone originally covered approximately 200 acres and included 75 . . . — Map (db m8442) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Zero Milestone — President's Park —
[north face:] Zero Milestone [rendering of Mercury’s winged helmet] [plaque in sidewalk below:] The U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey determined the latitude, longitude and elevation of the Zero Milestone. Authorized . . . — Map (db m32486) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Mahatma Gandhi Memorial
[Inscription on base of statue - West Side:] महात्मा गांधी Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948 “My Life Is My Message” [North Side:] . . . — Map (db m39923) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Tomáš G. Masaryk
“He had the mind of a scholar, the figure of a sportsman, the bearing of an aristocrat, the position of a king. But he had the heart of a democrat. ...” Dorothy Thompson, NBC broadcast, September 24, 1957. . . . — Map (db m30417) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Federal Triangle — In Memory of Franklin Delano Roosevelt1882 - 1945
In September, 1941, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt called his friend, Supreme Court Justice Frankfurter, to the White House and asked the Justice to remember the wish he then expressed: “If any memorial is erected to me, I know exactly . . . — Map (db m31631) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Federal Triangle — John J. Pershing, General of the Armies (1860-1948)The Western Front - The Meuse-Argonne Campaign
[Panel 1]: On 6 April 1917, the United States entered World War I. With few regular forces, the task of training and transporting an effective army to fight in France was formidable. The U.S. Navy, acting swiftly to combat the German . . . — Map (db m29593) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Albert Einstein - The Einstein Memorial
[Panel 1:] Albert Einstein, March 14, 1879 - April 18, 1955. "As long as I have any choice in the matter, I shall live only in a country where civil liberty, tolerance, and equality of all citizens before the law prevail," Albert . . . — Map (db m68433) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Announcement of the Atomic Age
On this campus, January 26, 1939, Nobel Laureate Niels Bohr reported the splitting of the uranium nucleus with the release of two hundred million electron volts of energy, thus heralding the beginning of the atomic age. This announcement took place . . . — Map (db m47330) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) — Republic F-105D Thunderchief
This aircraft, of a type used extensively in Southeast Asia air operations, is dedicated to all the courageous airmen who gave their lives in honor during that conflict. — Map (db m63898) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) — T-28 Trojan
Dedicated to Pilots, Crew, and Maintenance Personnel who served at Anacostia Naval Air Station — Map (db m63900) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Langdon — St. Francis de Sales ChurchCatholic Church with Oldest Continuing Congregation in District of Columbia
Congregation began about 1722, when Catholics first attended mass at chapel within Queen family mansion, on site approximately at present Everts Street, N.E., near 20th Street. Building came to be called Queen’s Chapel. Destroyed by fire three . . . — Map (db m127505) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Massachusetts Heights — Bishop Aimilianos Laloussis
[ Top of monument :] His Grace, Bishop Aimilianos Laloussis - 1902-1992 In celebration of his life and work, this park is lovingly dedicated. [Image of His Grace] [ Monument Panels 1 and 2 :] This park is . . . — Map (db m31261) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 9 — Czech RowVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail —
Like the Latino immigrants of recent times, Europeans left the political and economic hardships of home for a better life in the United States. Following the 1948 communist coup of Czechoslovakia a "Czech Row" or "Prague Road" enclave developed . . . — Map (db m130873) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — Central Public LibraryAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — Mount Vernon Square —
This majestic building was opened in 1903 as the Central Public Library, popularly known as the Carnegie Library because Andrew Carnegie donated funds to build it. From the start Central was open to all. Mary Church Terrell and historian John . . . — Map (db m18794) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — Joshua (Josh) Gibson
Josh Gibson is considered one of the greatest power hitters in the history of baseball. The powerful catcher led the Washington Homestead Grays to eight of nine Negro National titles from 1937 through 1945. Gibson utilized a powerful swing, and . . . — Map (db m114055) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — W.7 — Freedom PlazaCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail —
“I have a dream.” Martin Luther King, Jr. August 1963 The block-long plaza at 13th and Pennsylvania Avenue just ahead to your left honors civil rights leader Martin Luther King with the name Freedom . . . — Map (db m28528) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — National Press Club
At this site, at the Willard InterContinental Hotel in March 1908, the National Press Club, now located at 529 14th Street, was formed through the adoption of a constitution and bylaws and the election of the club's first officers. The . . . — Map (db m6586) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Reserve Officers Association of the United States
At this site on the 2nd of October 1922 General of the Armies John J. Pershing met with 140 World War I reserve officers and founded the Reserve Officers Association of the United States. At the meeting General Pershing said: "I consider this . . . — Map (db m6503) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Carter G. Woodson House
Carter G. Woodson House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m7121) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 9 — The Fires of 1968Midcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail —
The assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on Thursday, April 4, 1968, changed this neighborhood forever. When word of Dr. King’s murder spread that evening, Washingtonians gathered along busy 14th and U streets, NW; H . . . — Map (db m130892) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The General Dwight David Eisenhower PlazaUnited States Holocaust Memorial Museum — "Loss and Regeneration, 1993" —
Panel 1: Dedicated in gratitude to the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe, General Dwight David Eisenhower and the valiant soldiers of all Allied Armies he led into battle. Victorious in battle, they brought the Third Reich to . . . — Map (db m48459) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — District of Columbia War MemorialNational Mall and Memorial Parks — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
”This temple will recall for all time their services and sacrifices.” President Herbert Hoover, November 11, 1931 The Great War of 1914 to 1918 transformed the world. The war introduced lethal new . . . — Map (db m75903) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Korean War Veterans Memorial
[Inscription: Panel 1]: Our nation honors her sons and daughters who answered the call to defend a country they never knew and a people they never met. 1950 * Korea * 1953 [Panel 2]: Freedom Is Not Free [Panel . . . — Map (db m8829) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Theodore Roosevelt Island — Theodore RooseveltTheodore Roosevelt Island National Memorial
Theodore Roosevelt: 1858-1919 [Quotations, Panel 1]: NATURE There is delight in the hardy life of the open. There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and . . . — Map (db m10738) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — Lincoln Theatre and Lincoln ColonnadeAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1215 U Street, NW —
The Lincoln Theatre , built by white theater magnate Harry Crandall, opened in 1922 under African American management as U Street's most elegant first-run movie house. With 1,600 seats, it also was one of the biggest. In addition to films, the . . . — Map (db m33736) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Satellite Beach — Percy L. HedgecockIn memory of — 1916 - 1987 —
A strong Christian man who cared for the needs of others more than his own. Founder and first Mayor of Satellite Beach. A man who invested his time, talent and resources to help others. Through 16 years of dedicated service as Mayor, from 1957 to . . . — Map (db m48978) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — September 11, 2001We Remember — Elks Club Palm Coast # 2709 —
The Elks are distinctly American and as such we have linked the destiny of our order with the destiny of our country dedicated to those that lost their lives that day. To those that responded and saved thousands, and to our Military which fought . . . — Map (db m136669) HM WM
Florida (Franklin County), Carrabelle — F-427 — World War II D-Day Training Site
In late 1943, Carrabelle Beach and Dog Island, while they were a part of Camp Gordon Johnston, were used by the US Army 4th Infantry Division to train for the Normandy Invasion on D-Day, June 6th, 1944. The Amphibious Training Center had been . . . — Map (db m16847) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon Homestead
In 1876 James H. Brandon, son of town founder John Brandon and wife Martha, built this large two-story frame home for his wife Johanna and their seven children. They loved entertaining guests in their Folk Victorian southern mansion. . . . — Map (db m27201) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Lutz — Old Lutz Elementary SchoolErected 1927
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior August 15, 1996 — Map (db m32216) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Anthony P. Pizzo(1912-1994)
Civic leader and historian, Tony Pizzo, was born in the family home at this location on September 22, 1912. Tony's pride in his community inspired him to research and document history that would have been lost without his efforts. His enthusiasm . . . — Map (db m33055) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Central Avenue
From the late 19th century until the mid 1970s, Central Avenue was the principal business and entertainment district of Tampa's African American community. In 1974, Urban Redevelopment razed all but a few of the buildings and converted the area . . . — Map (db m94179) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-386 — El Centro Asturiano de Tampa
Spanish immigrants from the province of Asturias formed El Centro Asturiano de Tampa in 1902 as a mutual aid society to meet the recreational, social, educational, and medical needs of its members. In an effort to broaden the concept of . . . — Map (db m32185) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — George Washington Junior High School
The George Washington Junior High School was formerly located on this site. Along with the local Woodrow Wilson Junior High School, located in the Hyde Park neighborhood, the George Washington Junior High School was among the first junior high . . . — Map (db m32624) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-384 — German-American Club
Organized in 1901, the German-American Club was one of the few non-latin ethnic clubs in Tampa. Club members laid the cornerstone for a building on the northeast corner of Nebraska Avenue and 11th Avenue on February 23, 1908, followed by a . . . — Map (db m32372) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
  New Salem Primitive Baptist Church came into existence from its "mother church," Mt. Moriah Primitive Baptist Church in Tampa. Rev. G.S. Crawford, from east Florida, organized New Salem in 1905, which first held services in a one-room building on . . . — Map (db m32838) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County High School
The oldest high school building standing today in Hillsborough County is located at 2704 Highland Avenue in Tampa. It was designed by Wilson Potter of New York. The cornerstone reads HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL, but when it opened on October 12, . . . — Map (db m32380) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
. . . — Map (db m32542) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-596 — Old People's Home
Opened in 1924, The Old People's Home was the largest publicly supported home for the elderly in Tampa and represented a major civic achievement. An all-woman Board of Managers founded the Home and the original by-laws stated that men could serve . . . — Map (db m32115) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II
(Raised section) A grateful county honors the memory of these brave individuals for their unquestioned valor and sacrifice in defense of freedom and liberty during combat in Operation Iraqi Freedom Dedicated 2003 Hillsborough County Board of . . . — Map (db m32975) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Royal Yacht Britannia
Here docked the Royal Yacht Britannia for the official visit to Harbour Island by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh May 12, 1991 — Map (db m33806) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-387 — Sociedad La Union Marti~Maceo
When local segration forced the withdrawal of Afro-Cubans from El Club Nacional Cubano, an organization of black and white Cubans involved in Cuban independence, Afro-Cuban cigarmakers founded a society in 1900 as Los Libres Pensadores de Marti . . . — Map (db m31708) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-451 — Tampa Union Station
By 1902, the Seaboard Air Line (SAL) was formed and the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) had taken over the rail system of Henry B. Plant. Tampa Union Station (TUS) built in 1912, was designed by architect J.F. Leitner in Italian Renaissance style, and . . . — Map (db m4653) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Pam Callahan Nature PreserveIn tribute to and in memory of Pamela A. Callahan 1947 - 1993
Pam loved all aspects of nature and had a special feeling for these wetlands. She spearheaded a community effort to prevent this site from becoming yet another dense development. She fought for almost 3 years and never gave up. Despite difficult . . . — Map (db m13647) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — War Memorial
(Front face, left side) Dedicated to the memory of those Americans who valiantly fought and died in the service of their country during the great World War April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918 —•— It is hoped that the . . . — Map (db m30652) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Thonotosassa — John B. Sargeant, Sr.May 29, 1915 - March 6, 1989
John B. Sargeant is remembered as a "gentle" man who generously gave of his time so that future generations could enjoy the lands preserved here. A Polk County dairyman, he served twenty-seven years on the Hillsborough River Basin Board of the . . . — Map (db m13678) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Fellsmere — F-519 — Birthplace for Equal Suffrage for Women in Florida
“ The population of Fellsmere is of a high type of intelligence, with lofty ideals and wise execution. Progressive in all things, perhaps no better indication of the fact may be given than the unanimous vote of the town granting unrestricted . . . — Map (db m14303) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Fellsmere — Fellsmere
Fellsmere is a dramatic account of floods, land "booms" and land "busts". Named for E. Nelson Fell, Fellsmere was first incorporated in 1911, as part of St. Lucie County. The Fellsmere Farms Land Development Company promoted the area's rich soils . . . — Map (db m14304) HM
Florida (Levy County), Rosewood — F-497 — Rosewood, Florida
Racial violence erupted in the small and quiet Rosewood community January 1-7, 1923. Rosewood, a predominantly colored community, was home to the Bradley, Carrier, Carter, Goins, and Hall families, among others. Residents supported a school taught . . . — Map (db m17707) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Steam Engine of the Florida Manufacturing Company
Across Range Street, this Unit was used in Cotton and Peanut processing until 1919 and later carried to Taylor County for use in the Lumber Industry. With a 5-foot Piston Stroke and a 16-foot Drive Wheel, this 500 HP Engine pulled 65 Gins in the . . . — Map (db m17752) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Wardlaw-Smith-Goza Conference Center
The Wardlaw-Smith House was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. William M. Goza in January, 1978 in a state of disrepair. It was meticulously restored and landscaped by them under the supervision of Dawson Rutherford, Master Contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Goza . . . — Map (db m17750) HM
Florida (Martin County), Hobe Sound — F-624 — Camp Murphy Site
In 1942 the federal government opened Camp Murphy. It was the home of the Southern Signal Corps School during World War II and served as a U.S. Army base for instruction in radar operation in the early course of the war. The post was named in honor . . . — Map (db m14314) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Fort Clinch
Fort Clinch Reconstruction And construction of roads Buildings and grounds Was performed by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1420 1937-1942 — Map (db m33457) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-524 — Black Bear Trail
The Black Bear Trail, so named because it ran through the natural habitat of the black bear, was organized by The Black Bear Trail, Inc., an association of officials of Chambers of Commerce, boards of trade and cities lying along the route of the . . . — Map (db m7453) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-523 — Lake Lily DriveA Florida Heritage Site
This road was the first direct route from Northeast Florida to Maitland. It followed Maitland Avenue around this west side of Lake Lily and continued south on what is now Highway 17-92. During the Second Seminole War the United States Army used this . . . — Map (db m13636) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Lumberton — The Tucker Cemetery
This oldest cemetery in Pasco County has existed since before 1855. Thomas and Sarah Tucker settled in the area about 1842 and in 1845 planted the county's first orange grove. Family history records an earlier generation of Tuckers lived in the . . . — Map (db m13677) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Sims Park
Originally named Enchantment Park, it was renamed December 16, 1924, to honor George R. Sims, early developer of New Port Richey and donor of the park and clubhouse. His wife, Marjorie, was the first Chasco Fiesta queen. The Civic Club, organized . . . — Map (db m67072) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Bayflite 3 Crew
In memory of our colleagues Bayflite 3 crew Mark Wallace Alicia Betita-Collins Erik Hangartner who lost their lives in service to others April 25, 2000 — Map (db m13648) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Englewood — Lemon Bay Cemetery
Since the late 1800's the deceased loved ones of Englewood's pioneer settlers have been laid to rest on this high sandy ridge. The land for the cemetery was deeded to the citizens of the Lemon Bay area, by means of trustees, by John H. and Florence . . . — Map (db m15669) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Fred Albee Municipal Airport
The first recorded flight into Venice brought a crate of fresh strawberries for the Hotel Venice. Pioneer pilot Capt. George Haldeman landed his plane on Nassau Street to make his delivery on January 13, 1927, not until the mid-1930s was a . . . — Map (db m73678) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Venezia Park
John Nolen, world-renowned city planner from Philadelphia, created the overall design for the City of Venice. Venezia Park Subdivision helped illustrate Nolen's concept for a model city. Dr. Fred Albee, early developer, commissioned Nolen's . . . — Map (db m32558) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Venice Apartment District
John Nolen, world renowned city planner, designed the City of Venice so residents could work and relax in harmony with nature and with each other. A central business area, outlying farms, open green spaces, and a wide variety of housing choices . . . — Map (db m32702) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Venice Army Air Base
This structure is a replica of the Venice Army Air Base main entrance originally located at the intersection of The Rialto and San Marco. The base history began in May 1942 when surveyors from the US Army landed at the Venice Municipal Downtown . . . — Map (db m32565) HM
Florida (Suwannee County), Branford — F-365 — Steamboating on the Suwannee
In the late 19th century, steamboats docked regularly at the old depot in Branford (originally called Rowland's Bluff) when the settlement was a major port on the Suwannee River. From here the steam powered vessels carried the region's cotton, . . . — Map (db m17723) HM
Florida (Taylor County), Hampton Springs — F-606 — Hampton Springs Hotel
The Hampton Springs Hotel was built in 1908 and was destroyed by fire in 1954. The hotel was world renowned for its sulphur springs and baths known for their healing and medicinal powers. The luxurious hotel boasted lush gardens with elaborate . . . — Map (db m17720) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — 029-16 — Ben T. EppsGeorgia's Pioneer Aviator — 1888-1937 —
Ben T. Epps - Georgia's First in Flight -- designed, built and in 1907 flew the first airplane in the State of Georgia. He was born in Oconee County, educated in Clarke County, and attended Georgia Tech. A self-taught aviator, aircraft designer, . . . — Map (db m11754) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — 029-14 — Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace
William Lorenzo Moss, medical researcher and physician, was born in this house at 479 Cobb Street in Cobbham on August 23, 1876. Crawford W. Long was the attending physician. Dr. Moss received his B.S. degree from the University of Georgia in 1897 . . . — Map (db m11872) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — 29-5 — First Flight in GeorgiaSite of Ben Epps' Garage
Georgia’s pioneer aviator, Benjamin Thomas Epps, was born in Oconee County in 1888. He opened Athens’ first automobile repair garage at this location on East Washington Street in 1907. That same year, nineteen-year-old Epps designed and built his . . . — Map (db m11755) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — 029-17 — Herty Field
This marker overlooks the site of the first intercollegiate football game played in the state of Georgia and one of the first to be played in the deep south. On January 30, 1892 Georgia defeated Mercer College 50 to 0 on the stubbly grounds that . . . — Map (db m11709) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Hodgson-Dodd Park
In their Springdale houses they shared the joys of music and the visual arts with friends, family, students and faculty. HUGH HODGSON 1893 - 1969 570 SPRINGDALE was designed by architect Ed Wade and built in 1941 by Sam Wright for . . . — Map (db m14191) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — 29-3 — Louis H. Persley(1888-1932)
Originally from Macon, Georgia, African-American architect Louis H. Persley attended Lincoln University, and graduated from Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1914. Persley then joined the faculty of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. One of his . . . — Map (db m11753) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Olympic Games in Athens
In summer 1996, Athens, Georgia, shone as the largest Olympic venue site outside Atlanta, as the state hosted the Centennial Olympic Games July 19 - August 4. Some 650,000 visitors bought tickets to events at three University of Georgia venues: . . . — Map (db m11870) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — 029-18 — The Red and Black
Students published the first issue of the University of Georgia's campus newspaper, The Red and Black, on Nov. 24, 1893, from offices in the Academic Building (now the Hunter-Holmes Academic Building). The tabloid boosted school spirit, . . . — Map (db m11289) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-3 — Flannery O'Connor's Andalusia Farm
Andalusia was the home of writer Flannery O’Connor from 1951 until her death in 1964. Born in Savannah in 1925, O’Connor and her family moved to Milledgeville in 1940. O’Connor left Georgia for a time, but returned to Milledgeville in 1951 after . . . — Map (db m8982) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-2 — The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy
On this corner stood the Milledgeville Hotel built in 1858 while Milledgeville served as Georgia's capital. In 1903 Emily Norvell Hardy took over management of the hotel. She moved into the hotel with her two youngest children, including . . . — Map (db m15373) HM
Georgia (Barrow County), Statham — Statham High SchoolIn Honor - Paul T. Barrett
Educator; 52 years service in education. Born Feb. 12, 1900 Ila, Ga., Graduate of University of Georgia. Taught: Maysville, Cornelia, Buford 1920-1933. Principal - Coach Statham School 1933 - 1957. Supt. Barrow County Schools 1957 - 1965. Professor . . . — Map (db m17364) HM
Georgia (Barrow County), Winder — 007-2 — Barrow County
Barrow County was created by Act of July 7, 1914 from Gwinnett, Jackson and Walton Counties. It was named for David Crenshaw Barrow, Chancellor of the University of Georgia for many years. Born in Oglethorpe County, October 18, 1852, he died in . . . — Map (db m19070) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-14 — Felton Home
Dr. William H. Felton and his wife, Rebecca Latimer, lived from 1853 until 1905 in the house east of this marker. A physician, minister and noted orator, Dr. Felton was the leader of the Independent Revolt from the State Democratic Party in the . . . — Map (db m13483) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cassville — 008-52 — Noble Hill Rosenwald School
Noble Hill Rosenwald School, now known as Noble Hill-Wheeler Memorial Center, built in 1923 as the first standard school for Black children in Bartow County School System. The school closed in 1955 when all schools for Black Children in Bartow . . . — Map (db m13456) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-21 — Camp Wheeler
Camp Wheeler was an army training camp during 1917-19 and 1940-46. It was named for Joseph Wheeler (1836-1906), Confederate Lt. Gen. who was born in Augusta, Ga. The tent camp was established in 1917 after efforts of local businessmen brought Gen. . . . — Map (db m12415) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-2 — Central City College/Georgia Baptist College
Founded in October 1899 by the Reverend E. K. Love under the auspices of the Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, Central City College served as a co-educational institution of learning for African-American students at both the high school and . . . — Map (db m23065) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-23 — Mulberry Street Methodist Church
This church, organized in 1826, is on land deeded to it by the Georgia Legislature in the same year. In 1828, the first church building in Macon was erected on this site. The first appointed pastor was Thomas Darley, who had been ordained by Bishop . . . — Map (db m29210) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Old City Jail
Built in 1912, this structure was originally a simple one-room brick cube with barred windows and an armored door. It was used to house offenders for short periods for fighting, public drunkenness and similar minor offenses. In 1928, the . . . — Map (db m15816) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Marvin Summers Pittman1882 - 1954
President of South Georgia Teachers College and Georgia Teachers College 1934-1941 and 1943-1947 A pioneer in developing rural education, President Pittman organized the College to serve the region and state as a comprehensive . . . — Map (db m10678) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — W. Jones Lane Memorial Highway
By resolution adopted October 16, 1980, the State Transportation Board of Georgia has recognized the honorable W. Jones Lane for his years of dedicated service and devotion to the welfare of the people of the State of Georgia and for his . . . — Map (db m10676) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Munnerlyn — Site of Planters Electric Membership Corporation Organizational Meeting
On August 5, 1936, an organizational meeting of the Planters Electric Membership Corporation was held in the Bellevue Plantation commissary building. Those present and elected to become officers were Porter W. Carswell, President; Frank M. Cates, . . . — Map (db m13125) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — 018-8 — Home of Robert Grier»— 1 mi.—→
Robert Grier, astronomer and founder of "Grier’s Almanac", and his family lived about one mile from here and are buried in a family cemetery near the home. Robert Grier was born in 1780 at his father’s home in Taliaferro Co. He attended Old Union . . . — Map (db m21337) HM
Georgia (Candler County), Metter — Candler County War Memorial
Dedicated to Those Brave Men of Candler County Who Paid the Supreme Sacrifice in Defense of Their Country Donated by the Citizens of Candler County     Memorial Day 1987 ( Left Panel) Honor Roll . . . — Map (db m19255) WM
Georgia (Carroll County), Bowdon — 022-7 — Site of Bowdon College1857-1936
Bowdon College was Georgia’s fifth chartered institution of higher education and first coeducational institution. Bowdon was a frontier community of merchants and yeomen who nourished the growth of a school where earnest students of limited means . . . — Map (db m31328) HM
Georgia (Carroll County), Bremen — 022-6 — Sacred Harp Singing
When Georgians B.F. White and E.J. King compiled the songbook, The Sacred Harp, in 1844, they were continuing a singing tradition, which would ultimately become identified with the book. Thousands of southerners would be exposed to music . . . — Map (db m10036) HM
Georgia (Carroll County), Carrollton — First "REA" Substation in Carroll County
In 1936, a young attorney from the Victory community began investigating the possibility of bringing electric service to rural farms and homes in the West Georgia area. Together with rural merchants, farmers, a preacher and a mail carrier, they . . . — Map (db m12804) HM
Georgia (Carroll County), Villa Rica — 022-8 — Thomas A. DorseyFather of Gospel
Thomas Andrew Dorsey, composer of over 400 blues and gospel songs, lived here following his birth in Villa Rica on July 1, 1899. At Mt. Prospect Baptist Church he was exposed to shape-note singing and at home learned to play a used pump organ, . . . — Map (db m10043) HM
Georgia (Carroll County), Villa Rica — 22-1 — Villa Rica Explosion
Around 11:00 a.m. on December 5, 1957, a natural gas leak under Berry’s Pharmacy caused an explosion that destroyed four buildings and damaged several others in Villa Rica’s downtown. The explosion killed twelve and injured twenty. The tragedy . . . — Map (db m10044) HM
Georgia (Charlton County), Folkston — 024-2 — Okefenokee Swamp<--- 10 mi. ---<<<<
Okefenokee, “Land of the Trembling Earth”, was a favorite hunting and fishing ground for many tribes of Indians. General Charles Floyd with 250 dragoons drove out the last of these, the Seminoles, in 1838 ending Indian rebellion in . . . — Map (db m27477) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — Boeing B-47 Stratojet
The Boeing B-47 Stratojet bomber first flew on 17 December 1947, It was America's first swept-wing all jet bomber. There were over 2,000 B-47's produced, more than any other Free World bomber since WWII. This B-47 Stratojet (Serial . . . — Map (db m16622) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — McDonnell F-4C Phantom
A masterpiece of engineering, the F-4 was originally designed for use aboard Navy aircraft carriers. In 1962 the Air Force adopted a ground attack version of the F-4 after it had easily outperformed its F-106 in head-to-head competition. The F-4 . . . — Map (db m13306) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG- 17A
Introduced in 1951, the MiG-17 remained on frontline duty with many Warsaw Pact countries and their client states well into the 1980s. Developed too late for the Korean War, the MiG-17 went on to see action in Vietnam and in several of the African . . . — Map (db m13307) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 1996 Olympic Yachting Cauldron
This cauldron was lit with the original Olympic flame from Olympia, Greece at the Savannah Opening Ceremony, July 20, 1996, and burned throughout the Centennial Olympic Games in Savannah, Georgia, site of the Olympic Yachting events. The five . . . — Map (db m5568) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-33 — American Grand Prize Races1910 and 1911 Vanderbilt Cup Race, 1911
On each side of Waters Avenue at this site stood the grandstands built for the famous Savannah automobile races in 1910 and 1911. The starting and finishing line was located in front of the stands. On November 12, 1910, David Bruce-Brown won . . . — Map (db m5953) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-101 — Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home
Mary Flannery O'Connor, novelist and short story writer,was born in Savannah March 25, 1925. She grew up in this house and in later years she referred to it simply as "the house I was raised in." She lived here until 1938, attending church at the . . . — Map (db m9490) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-15 — Florance Street School
Florance Street School was designed by the firm Levy and Clarke and built in 1929 as one of the early public schools in Savannah built specifically for African-American students. It contributed greatly to Savannah’s Cuyler-Brownville community by . . . — Map (db m12088) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John B. Hohenstein, Sr.
Dedicated in memory of John B. Hohenstein, Sr. Partner of Hohenstein Shipping Company, Secretary and Treasurer of Savannah Pilotage Commission, who prominently served the maritime industry of Savannah from 1919 until his death, April 20, . . . — Map (db m16770) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Herndon Mercer 1909 - 1976Savannah's Native Son
( Caricature ) Johnny Mercer Lyricist   Songwriter  Co-founder of Capitol Records   Winner of 4 Academy Awards Front Rim reads; Ac-cent-tchu-ates The Positive - Autumn Leaves - Blues In The Night - Charade - Jeepers Creepers - . . . — Map (db m13683) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-26 — Johnny Mercer1909 - 1976
World-renowned songwriter John Herndon Mercer was born in Savannah and spent much of his youth in this house at 226 East Gwinnett Street. His lyrics reflected the sounds of Southern conversation, influenced by the African-American music and the . . . — Map (db m8702) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Marist Place
Site of Marist School for Boys 1919 - 1939 —— Grammer School Operated by Marist Brothers of the Schools —— Last Graduating Class June 9, 1939 Rev. Bro. Eugene Bergeron, F.M.S. Teacher Rev. Bro, . . . — Map (db m18424) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-23 — McKelvey-Powell Building
The McKelvey-Powell Building was originally constructed in 1926. The building was a hub of African-American business and social life in Savannah during the era of segregation in the first half of the twentieth century. Throughout the 1930s the . . . — Map (db m11751) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-103 — Mercer Auto Camp
In 1910 and 1911 the Mercer Automobile Company of Trenton, New Jersey made entries in the Great Savannah races. Washington Roebling II , the only company owner who drove in the races, and driver Hughie Hughes led teams in several light car and grand . . . — Map (db m5976) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 14 — Savannah's Liberty Ships and the Atlantic Bridge
Before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor brought the United States into World War II, President Roosevelt and Congress authorized a ship building program to construct a fleet of transport vessels that could carry American supplies to England. The . . . — Map (db m19625) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 9 — Shipping in the Port of Savannah
Savannah's port is one of the busiest in the United States. The terminals that serve the port are only surpassed in East Coast trade volume by the combined ports of New York and New Jersey. Some of the world's largest merchant vessels bring . . . — Map (db m19469) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 1 — Ships That Carried the Name Savannah
A number of ships carried the name "Savannah." They included warships and merchant vessels. One of the most important was the SS Savannah, the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Near the turn of the 20th century two steamers named . . . — Map (db m19558) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-8 — Walter Bernard Hill Hall
This is the oldest remaining building on the Savannah State University campus. It was constructed in 1901 by the students and faculty of then Georgia State Industrial College during the administration of the college’s first president, Richard R. . . . — Map (db m21220) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Thunderbolt — Fred Wessels, Senior
. . . — Map (db m13310) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Fort Screven BakeryBuilding #97
Activated just prior to the Spanish-American War and inactivated at the close of World War II, Fort Screven served as a military post for almost 50 years. During that time, Fort Screven was a coast artillery installation, an infantry post, District . . . — Map (db m13076) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — The Tybrisa Pavilion IIWalter Parker Pier and Pavilion at Tybee Island
The Tybrisa Pavilion II The Tybrisa Pavilion stood for three-quarters of a century as a landmark on the South Atlantic Ocean. Built in 1891 by the Central of Georgia Railroad, it became a well known destination for day-trippers and seasonal . . . — Map (db m13778) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Clarkdale — Clarkdale Historic Districtc. 1931
Clarkdale is significant as an intact industrial village, locally called a mill village. Built according to a master plan for the employees of Clark Thread Company, it evolved into a self-contained community with commercial, social and recreational . . . — Map (db m33466) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Clarkdale — Coats & Clark Thread Mill1931 – 1983
In 1931 Clark Thread Company opened a spinning mill here, giving the local economy a boost during the Great Depression with the creation of approximately 650 new jobs. Baled cotton was spun into unfinished thread that was then shipped to a finishing . . . — Map (db m33467) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive
Built by Glover Machine Works of Marietta, this 1916 locomotive was sold to a company in Va. for hauling lumber. In 1921 GMW reassumed possession. It was restored in 1992. Today GMW is in its sixth generation and still makes heavy industrial . . . — Map (db m13077) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Bell Bomber (B-29) Plant1943 - 1946
A plan to help lift rural Cobb County out of the Great Depression by building a commercial airport changed course when America entered WWII and Marietta was chosen as the location for a new aircraft assembly plant. Wartime necessity had rival . . . — Map (db m33703) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 33-1 — Leo Frank Lynching
Near this location on August 17, 1915, Leo M. Frank, the Jewish superintendent of the National Pencil Company in Atlanta, was lynched for the murder of thirteen-year-old Mary Phagan, a factory employee. A highly controversial trial fueled by . . . — Map (db m16574) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Mary Phagan
Celebrated in song as "Little Mary Phagan" after her murder at age 13 on April 26, 1913 in Atlanta. The trial and conviction of Leo Frank were controversial, as was the commutation of his death sentence four days before Confederate Veterans marked . . . — Map (db m16571) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — The Bell Bomber ParkCity of Marietta
This park is dedicated to thousands of men and women who built 665 B-29 bombers that played a major role in bringing the U.S. victory during World War II. The steps remain as a reminder of the daily walk to work at the Bell Aircraft Plant by . . . — Map (db m30044) HM
Georgia (Columbia County), Harlem — 36-09 — Oliver Norvell Hardy
Harlem became the birthplace of the rotund member of one of Hollywood's greatest comedy teams when Oliver Hardy was born January 18, 1892. After his father died and was buried in the Harlem Cemetery the year of Oliver's birth, Mrs. Hardy took the . . . — Map (db m15374) HM
Georgia (Cook County), Adel — 037-5 — Reed Bingham State Park Bridge
This bridge, which connects the Cook County side of Reed Bingham State Park with the Colquitt County side, was completed in 1974 and was dedicated on July 13, 1974 by Governor Jimmy Carter. Serving as an outstanding state park facility for . . . — Map (db m17867) HM
Georgia (Dawson County), Dawsonville — 042-2 — The Appalachian Trail
Here begins the approach trail to Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, a continuous footpath extending more than 2,000 miles to Mt. Katahdin, Maine. The Appalachian Trail was conceived by Benton MacKaye, forester, . . . — Map (db m23262) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Brookhaven Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
Historic Brookhaven is the first planned golf club community in Georgia, having been built around the Capital City Country Club between 1910 and 1940. — Map (db m14356) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Ivy Street
On June 3, 2005, the central road of this campus was formally named “Ivy Street,” in honor of the hallowed tradition associated with the original Marist campus on Ivy Street in downtown Atlanta. With 32 boys and five . . . — Map (db m14203) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Chamblee — 044-91 — 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919
Constructed during America´s rush to mobilize for World War I, Camp Gordon was one of 16 temporary training camps, the largest in the southern states and the focus of Atlanta´s wartime patriotic spirit. It served as birthplace and training ground . . . — Map (db m14570) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Chamblee — 044-92 — 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959
Anticipating America´s involvement in a second world war, the government returned to the site of Camp Gordon in October 1940 and over the next seven months constructed a 400-acre Naval Reserve Aviation Base at the DeKalb County Airport. . . . — Map (db m14571) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 44-1 — Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station
The Georgia Railway and Power Company, predecessor of Georgia Power, built this trolley waiting station in 1923. The waiting station served Druid Hills residential development when the streetcar line on Ponce de Leon Avenue was extended from . . . — Map (db m29074) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — Houston Mill Millstone
From the Houston Mill built in 1873 Owned by Maj. W.J. Houston Purchased from Dr. Chapmon Powell Millstone removed in 1974 Mill site destroyed in 1983 Donated by Joseph Augustine Sams Bond Moved to Old Courthouse Grounds October 2001 by . . . — Map (db m31589) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — The Beacon Community
Side 1: The Beacon Community was the center of Decatur’s African American community until its demolition by the Urban Renewal programs of the mid-1960s. Bounded by N. McDonough Street on the east, W. Trinity Place on the north, Water . . . — Map (db m29260) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Lithonia — 044-88 — Rebecca Latimer Felton
Birthplace of Rebecca Ann Latimer (1835-1930), daughter of Chas. and Eleanor (Swift) Latimer, pioneer settles at this point on the Decatur-Covington road. Married in 1853 to Dr. William H. Felton, later Member of Congress and a trustee of the . . . — Map (db m33831) HM
Georgia (Dodge County), Eastman — Stuckey's
In 1937 W.S. and Ethel Stuckey opened the first Pecan Shoppe at this location. That began the introduction of the pecan, Ethel`s candy and the distinctive blue-roofed shoppe to the motoring public. Today, a Stuckey`s can be found in nearly . . . — Map (db m9722) HM
Georgia (Emanuel County), Swainsboro — Home of George Leon Smith, II1912 - 1973
Member of the Georgia House of Representatives for 29 years and Speaker of that body for 11 years, longer than any other man. He was the 12th Georgian in History to lie in state at the Rotunda of the State Capitol in Atlanta, Georgia. The World . . . — Map (db m20976) HM
Georgia (Fayette County), Fayetteville — 56-3 — Governor Hugh M. Dorsey(1871-1948)
Hugh Manson Dorsey was born in Fayetteville, and was admitted to the Georgia bar at the Fayette County Courthouse in 1894. After practicing law at his father’s firm, Dorsey became solicitor general of the Atlanta Judicial Circuit in 1910. In this . . . — Map (db m10074) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 57-3 — Berry Schools' Old Mill
From the mill’s construction in 1930 , students under the supervision of a miller used the Old Mill to produce corn meal and food stuffs for the Berry Schools. The Republic Mining and Manufacturing Company donated the iron hub, while students built . . . — Map (db m9488) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-9 — Martha Berry’s Birthplace»——→
Martha Berry, founder of the Berry Schools, was born and lived here at “Oak Hill.” Daughter of Capt. Tom Berry, wealthy plantation owner, she devoted her life to providing educational opportunities for the children of her less fortunate . . . — Map (db m31330) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — Opera Alley
Opera Alley was a walkway adjacent to the Nevin Opera House at 321 Broad Street. The opera house, which opened in September of 1880, was built by Mr. M.A. Nevin. The alley, donated to the city by Mr. Nevin was officially declared a city . . . — Map (db m12318) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Red Hill — 59-1 — Red Hill School
In 1912, William Thomas Sosby donated 1.4 acres near this site for the Red Hill School. Originally for grades 1-6, the school added grades 7-9 in 1922. After consolidation in 1925, a new school building was constructed here on land donated by Sosby . . . — Map (db m15156) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Brookhaven Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
Historic Brookhaven is the first planned golf club community in Georgia, having been built around the Capital City Country Club between 1910 and 1940. — Map (db m14357) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Brookhaven Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
Historic Brookhaven is the first planned golf club community in Georgia, having been built around the Capital City Country Club between 1910 and 1940. — Map (db m14358) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Ebenezer Baptist Church
"Our Stone of Help." "Then Samuel took a stone and named it Ebenezer for he said, 'Thus far the Lord has helped us.'" (I Samuel 7:12.) The Rev. John A. Parker, Pastor 1886-1894. The Rev. Dr. Alfred Daniel Williams, Pastor . . . — Map (db m5481) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-26B — Habersham Memorial Hall
Joseph Habersham Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was organized February 12, 1900 at the Executive Mansion. Mrs. William Lawson Peel, first Regent and Mrs. Allen D. Candler, wife of the governor, were among the five . . . — Map (db m30510) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 60-1 — Rhodes Hall - Le Reve
Atlanta philanthropist and businessman Amos Giles Rhodes built Le Reve (The Dream) on his 114-acre estate in 1904. Designed by Atlanta architect Willis F. Denny II, the house is constructed of Stone Mountain granite and is distinguished by its early . . . — Map (db m16350) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-5 — The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer was founded in 1903 as the first English-speaking congregation in Atlanta. The church’s first building was erected in 1905 near the state capitol. The church moved in 1937 to Peachtree and Fourth Streets where in . . . — Map (db m23043) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Saga of Gold Tooth John(Or: How the Holiday Inn Central Came To Be)
First the Cherokee Indians were here. Then the White settlers were here. Among the first of these was Edwin Plaster who built his home near here. He grew cotton on this plot of land, and built the first permanent bridge across Peachtree Creek. He . . . — Map (db m14413) HM
Georgia (Gilmer County), Ellijay — Springer Mountain
Appalachian National Scenic Trail Springer Mountain elevation 3782' Southern Terminus Chattahoochee National Forest — Map (db m3258) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Brunswick — Glynn County War Memorial
[Upper Tablet]: Dedicated to The men of Glynn County who served their country and to those named who gave their lives for the preservation of liberty and freedom {Wreath emblem} 1917 The World War 1918 Arnold, . . . — Map (db m13130) WM
Georgia (Glynn County), Jekyll Island — First Transcontinental Call
First Transcontinental Telephone call was submitted by a telephone of this type January 25, 1915. Mr. Theodore N. Vail, President American Telephone and Telegraph Company talked from Jekyll Island, Georgia to Mr. Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of . . . — Map (db m18494) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Jekyll Island — M.E. Thompson and the Purchase of Jekyll Island
Melvin E. Thompson, Acting Governor, 1947-1949, was born in Millen, Jenkins County, Georgia, in 1903. After a career as educator and public servant, Thompson was elected Lieutenant Governor for the term beginning January, 1947. Following the death . . . — Map (db m17207) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Jekyll Island — 063-31 — The Boat House Site
This is the site of the Jekyll Island Club Boat House where the 100 foot steamer The Jekyll Island was stored during the off season. (The Club season was usually from after New Years until before Easter). There was no Jekyll Creek bridge . . . — Map (db m17462) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley
(Front) A Mission By The SeaIn 1949, the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church purchased 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation from the Sea Island Company for a Christian conference center. They named "Epworth" after the . . . — Map (db m12553) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-34 — Roland HayesJune 3, 1887 - January 1, 1977
Roland Hayes, the first internationally renowned African - American classical singer was born in Gordon County and performed at this site, the former Calhoun High Auditorium. Hayes opened doors for African - American concert and opera performers and . . . — Map (db m13916) HM
Georgia (Grady County), Cairo — 65-1 — Birthplace of Jackie RobinsonFirst African American in Major League Baseball
Robinson was born here on January 31, 1919 before he and his family moved to California in 1920. After attending U.C.L.A., serving in the U.S. Army, and playing in the Negro American Baseball and International Leagues, Robinson joined the Brooklyn . . . — Map (db m27306) HM
Georgia (Grady County), Cairo — 065-2 — Grady County
"Original Diversified Farming County of Southeast” Established January 1, 1906 The Courthouse and County Jail were built in 1908 and the county was organized under the general supervision of the following first Board of County . . . — Map (db m27125) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — Sheriff L. L. Wyatt
[Marker Front]: This 1895 jail is named for the legendary Sheriff, Loy Lee Wyatt, who enforced the laws in Greene County for fifty-two years until his death in 1977. Sheriff L.L. Wyatt was born on January 2, 1904, in Paulding County. He was . . . — Map (db m15997) HM

2148 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1748
Paid Advertisement