Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Peace Historical Markers

398 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 398 are listed. Previous 200
 
Haudenosaunee Marker image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 26, 2018
Haudenosaunee Marker
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Twinning of Morioka, Japan and Victoria
Placed here May 23, 1985 commemorating the twinning of Morioka, Japan and Victoria and to the memory of Dr. Inazo Nitobe Mayor Daizo Ota [and] Mayor Peter Pollen ———————— . . . — Map (db m74135) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Semiahmoo — Peace ArchThe Signing of the Columbia River Treaty
Upper marker: This unfortified boundary line between the Dominion of Canada and the United States of America should quicken the remembrance of the more than century old friendship between these countries A lesson of peace to . . . — Map (db m27450) HM
Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Pugwash Conferences and Masonic LodgeOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Conferences on Science & World Affairs

The Pugwash Conferences take their names from the location of the first meeting, held in 1957, in the village of Pugwash, Nova Scotia, birthplace of their host, American philanthropist . . . — Map (db m108075) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Thinkers' Lodge
English: In 1957, at the height of the Cold War, the first Pugwash Conference on Science and World Affairs took place in this serene setting. Hosted by philanthropist Cyrus Eaton, top-level scientists from both sides of the Iron . . . — Map (db m140759) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Lansdowne — Thousand Islands International Bridge
This international bridge system links Canada and the United States across the St. Lawrence River and islands from Ivy Lea, Ontario, to Collins Landing, N.Y. It was opened on August 18, 1938, by William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of Canada, . . . — Map (db m124428) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — Lotta Hitschmanova, C.C.1909 • 1990
Founded USC Canada 10 June 1945 Unitarian Service Committee of Canada Harold Pfeiffer, Sculptor — Map (db m75710) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Niagara District United Empire Loyalists Memorial
[Upper plaque:] This boulder was on the half-way mark, between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Queenston [Lower plaque:] This memorial is erected in proud memory of pioneer ancestors and to commemorate the one hundred and . . . — Map (db m76095) HM WM
Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Peacekeeping / Casques bleus

Our peacekeepers in blue berets have won international respect and Canadian pride in serving with the United Nations to resolve strife and promote democracy.

Canadian native plants are combined with many other named for lands of our major . . . — Map (db m110327) WM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — National Eucharistic Congress
English: The first National Eucharistic Congress was duly solemnised on the these historic plains in June, 1938, when the descendants of ancestral foes met as fraternal friends. French: Sur ces plaines historiques se . . . — Map (db m81232) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Naval Brigades Review
English: Unique in universal history, the French, American and British naval brigades at the tercentenary review in 1908 marched together as friends across the very ground for which their predecessors fought. French: Fait . . . — Map (db m81231) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Kondiaronk and CallièreKondiaronk et Callière
English: Kondiaronk, Grand Chief of the Wyandots of Michilimakinac, played a determining role in the negotiations of the Great Peace due to both his influence with the other First Nations chiefs and the respect that he had among the . . . — Map (db m82116) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — Pope John Paul II's 1979 Visit to Santo Domingo
En recuerdo de la primera visita a America de Su Santidad Papa Juan Pablo II El 25 de enero de 1979 Santo Domingo Ciudad Primada de América Ayuntamiento del Distrito Nacional Enero 2008 English: Pope John Paul II . . . — Map (db m93466) HM
El Salvador, Chalatenango, La Palma — La Palma - Birthplace of Salvadoran Peace
La Palma Cuna de la Paz DL822 Fecha 19-1-2000 Sede Primer Dialogo por la Paz Fecha 15-10-1984 Construido en la Admon. del Alcalde Don Esteban Flores Periodo 2012-2015 Monumento Cuna de la Paz English . . . — Map (db m88471) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — In Memory of the Murdered Jesuit PriestsIn memoriam a los padres jesuitas asesinados
“Dichosos los que procuran la paz, pues Dios los llamara hijos suyos.” San Mateo 5:9 In Memoriam El Debate Nacional por la Paz ofrece esta placa en memoria de los padres jesuitas. Ignacio Ellacuria, Segundo Montes, Ignacio Martin . . . — Map (db m82231) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Mural of the Martyrs of the UCAMural Mártires de la UCA
Obra en relieve de concreto y cerámica, desarrollada a partir de la técnica de moldeado en barro ideada por Ricardo Carbonell Autoría del arquitecto y artista visual Josué Villalta Coordinado por los arquitectos Ayansi Avendaño y Alex Renderos, . . . — Map (db m84285) HM
France, Île-de-France, Paris — The Conference GatePorte de la Conference — Histoire de Paris —
La porte de la Conférence marque la limite ouest de Paris jusqu’a la veille de la Révolution. En 1593, lors du siège de Paris par Henri IV redevenu huguenot, les Ligueurs utilisent cette sortie pour se rendre à Suresnes négocier avec les . . . — Map (db m61631) HM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Hotel Schwan
An diesem Ort stand bis zur Zerstörung 1944 das Hotel Schwan, in dem am 10.mai 1871 nach dem Deutsch-Französischen Krieg der "Frankfurter Frieden" von Otto von Bismarck und Jules Favre unterzeichnet wurde. [English . . . — Map (db m100257) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Parramos), Parramos — The 20th Anniversary of the Guatemalan Peace Accords
En Memoria de los hermanos y hermanas que dieron su vida luchando por el buen vivir de sus comunidades y de Guatemala Fundación Guillermo Toriello Comunidades de Parramos En el XX Aniversario de la Firma de la paz 25 de Febrero de 2016 . . . — Map (db m95680) WM
Guatemala, Escuintla (Municipality of Santa Lucía Cotzumalguapa), Santa Lucía Cotzumalguapa — Assassination of Walter Voordeckers
Aqui fue asesinado el Padre Walter Voordeckers 12 de mayo 1980 "En todo caso, vivamos de acuerdo con lo que ya hemos alcanzado" (Filipenses 3:16) A.M.D.E. English translation: Father Walter Voordeckers was . . . — Map (db m99872) WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Assassination of Bishop Juan José Gerardi Conedera
Exmo. Y Revmo. Mons. Juan José Gerardi Conedera Nació: 27-XII-22 Sacerdote: 21-XII-46 Obispo: 30-VII-67 Cruz 26-IV-98 Testigo Fiel Guatemala, 26-X-98. ODHAG English translation: The Most Excellent and Reverend . . . — Map (db m95836) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Assassination of Myrna Mack
En este lugar, el 11 de septiembre de 1990 fue asesinada la antropologa Myrna Mack Su familia, colegas y amigos rendimos homenaje a su memoria. Ella dio su vida para que otros tengan vida. (Juan 10:10) Guatemala, Septiembre 11, 1991 . . . — Map (db m91768) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed ConflictMemorial a las Víctimas del Conflicto Armado de Guatemala
Es nuestro deseo erigir este símbolo para dignificar los centenares de mujeres, niños, y hombres que sufrieron los estragos y el horror de la violencia política durante treinta y seis años desde 1960 a 1996. Los nombres aquí grabados . . . — Map (db m105317) WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 10th Anniversary of the Guatemalan Peace Accords
Secretaria de la Paz Presidencia de la Republica Que los pueblos tengan paz, mucha paz y que sean felices, dadnos buena vida, vida útil y existencia. Pop Wuj En conmemoración del X Aniversario de la Firma de la Paz . . . — Map (db m128631) HM WM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Friar Bartolomé de las Casas
Fray Bartolome de las Casas Primer Vicario del convento de Santo Domingo de esta Metropoli y segundo Obispo de Chiapas_Ynsigne Varon, Primer escritor de la Antigua Ciudad de Guatemala Protector de los Yndios_ Escribió: . . . — Map (db m91694) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Home of Brother PedroCasa del Hermano Pedro de San José de Betancourt
Aqui vivio Fray Pedro de San Jose Betancourt Apostol de la Caridad Nacio en Tenerife en Marzo de 1626 Murio en Esta el 25 de Abril de 1667 English translation: Here lived Friar Pedro de San José de Betancourt, . . . — Map (db m70121) HM
Guyana, Berbice, New Amsterdam — Mission Chapel Congregational Church
This Monument is erected in observance of the 175th Anniversary of Mission Chapel Congregational Church to the Memory of Rev. John Wray Pioneer Missionary of the London Missionary Society and who brought education and the Gospel to the then . . . — Map (db m93225) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), the Doo Lough Valley — 1849 Famine Walk
To commemorate the Hungry Poor who walked here in 1849 and walk the Third World today Freedom for South Africa 1994. “How can men feel themselves honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings.” Mahatma Gandhi in . . . — Map (db m27687) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — The "Three Fates"

This fountain, erected in 1956, is situated near the Leeson Street entrance to the park. It consists of a group of three bronze figures – Nornenbrunnen, representing the Three Fates, who weave and measure the thread of man's destiny. The . . . — Map (db m25306) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Veronica Guerin1959 - 1996
Sunday Independent journalist, was murdered on 26th June 1996. Be Not Afraid Greater justice was her ideal and it was her ultimate achievement Her courage and sacrifice saved many from the scourge of drugs and other crime. Her . . . — Map (db m24078) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — The Lord Killanin
Sixth President of the International Olympic Committee 1972 - 1980 President of the Olympic Council of Ireland 1950 - 1973 This commemorative bronze bust was unveiled by Dr. Jacques Rogge Eight[h] President of the . . . — Map (db m27050) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Wicklow), Baltinglass — Private Michael McGuinn

In memory and honour of Private Michael McGuinn, Parkmore, Baltinglass, And his comrades, Killed in action at Niemba, 8th November 1960 While serving with the United Nations Emergency Force O.N.U.C. Congo, "We . . . — Map (db m135921) WM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Beenarourke — Colonel Patrick J. Quinlan

of this Parish who commanded the Irish UN Peace Keeping Force in the Battle of Jadotville in the Congo in 1961

Officially unveiled by former Taoiseach

Enda Kenny TD October 2017 — Map (db m140707) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Sneem — The Peaceful Panda

[Chinese script not transcribed]

Go maire an Cairdeas idir Pobal na Síne agus na hÉireann go deo. Tiomnaithe d'Iar-Uachtarán na hÉireann, A Oirirceas an tUas. Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh, nach maireann, ag Comhlachas Phobal na . . . — Map (db m139934) HM

Israel, Haifa District, Akko — The Shrine and Mansion of Bahá’u’lláh
At the heart of this site is the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh, the final resting place of the Founder of the Bahá’í Faith, regarded by Bahá’ís as the most holy spot on earth. Next to the Shrine stands the Mansion where Bahá’u’lláh resided from the summer . . . — Map (db m79276) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Haifa — The Shrine of the Báb Terraces and Gardens
On 21 March 1909 the mortal remains of the Báb, one of the Central Figures of the Bahá'í Faith, were interred in the Shrine that is the focal point of these gardens. Martyred in Iran in 1850, the Báb had devoted Himself to preparing the way for . . . — Map (db m79010) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Tlatelolco
50 Aniversario del Tratado de Tlatelolco Aquí en Tlatelolco fue abierto a firma el 14 de febrero de 1967 el primer tratado internacional, en un área densamente poblada, que prohíbe la armas nucleares. Los 33 paises de Latinoamérica y . . . — Map (db m125747) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Pope John Paul II's Visit to Jalostotitlán
Homenaje del pueblo de Jalostotitlán a Su Santidad el Papa Juan Pablo II por su visita a nuestra diocesis el 8 de mayo de 1990 Jalostotitlan, Jal. 15 de agosto de 1999 English translation: A tribute from the people . . . — Map (db m116674) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de Lagos — Pope John Paul II's Visit to San Juan de Lagos
Homenaje de gratitud que San Juan de los Lagos dedica al “Peregrino de Paz” S.S. Juan Pablo II en el vigésimo aniversario de su visita a esta “tierra de mártires” 1990 – 8 de mayo - 2010 Excmo. Sr. Ob. D . . . — Map (db m116832) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — In Memory of the Victims of September 15, 2008 Attack
Porque el espíritu del amor y la justicia prevalecerá siempre sobre el odio y la violencia en el corazón de los Michoacanos En memoria de las víctimas del atentado del 15 de septiembre 2008 English translation: The . . . — Map (db m129259) HM
Nicaragua, Managua — Visits of Pope John Paul II to Nicaragua
Este obelisco y la Plaza de la Fe Juan Pablo II, conmemoran y honran las visitas que hiciera a Nicaragua su santidad Juan Pablo II; El 04 de marzo de 1983 y el 07 de febrero de 1996, respectivamente. La construcción de esta histórica obra, fue . . . — Map (db m93622) HM
Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — "For the Repose of Souls"Japanese Memorial Garden — 鎮魂 —
[Text in Japanese Kanji:] This monument is dedicated to the souls of the Filipino, American and Japanese, soldiers whose lives were given in a battle which occurred here on May 5, 1942, when our regiment of the 4th Division landed on . . . — Map (db m64111) HM WM
Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — "Tribute to the Brave Heroes"Japanese Memorial Garden
[Text in Japanese Kanji] In remembrance of the 4,500 fallen comrades in arms of the Japanese defense battalion commanded by Captain Akira Tagaki, the senior commander, composed of : 0-4 Squadron Troop 330 31st Naval Special Resistance . . . — Map (db m64039) HM WM
Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — Spanish Historical MarkerCorregidor Island
Spanish: La isla de Corregidor pasó a formar parte de la Corona de España el 19 de Mayo de 1571, al ser ocupada por el intrépido navegante Miguel López de Legaspi, fundador de la Ciudad de Manila. Debido a su posición . . . — Map (db m64787) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Sixty Years of Peace
Si: Mercat: Hanse: Theutonis: Lond: In: Regno: Angelo: Residen TO CELEBRATE sixty years of peace between the peoples of Britain and Germany & TO COMMEMORATE Six hundred years during which some 400 Hanseatic merchants inhabited peaceably in . . . — Map (db m117902) HM
United Kingdom, England (Devon County), Plymouth — Twinning of Plymouth and Donostia-San Sebastian
This Plaque was Unveiled on 16th May, 1990 to Commemorate the Twinning of the Cities of Plymouth and Donostia-San Sebastian Councillor Dennis H Dicker   Lord Mayor of Plymouth Don Xabier Albistur   Alcalde de la Ciudad de Donostia-San . . . — Map (db m123944) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — “Swiss Court”
On 15 April 1991, on the occasion of the Swiss Confederation, the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Westminster, Councillor David Avery named this area “Swiss Court” as a token of the lasting friendship between Switzerland and the . . . — Map (db m117772) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Glockenspiel
Glockenspiel with 27 bells, a musical automaton clock and a procession of herdsmen and their animals ascending the alpine meadows. Dedicated in 1985 by the people of the Confederation of Switzerland and of the Principality of Liechtenstein to . . . — Map (db m117773) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — New Zealand War Memorial
( some inscriptions on the columns of the memorial ) This memorial commemorates the enduring bonds between New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and our shared sacrifice during times of war. It is a symbol both of our common heritage, and . . . — Map (db m118098) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Bertrand Russell1872-1970
Philosopher and Campaigner for Peace lived here in flat No. 34 1911-1916 — Map (db m109328) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Vera Brittain and Winifred Holtby
Vera Brittain 1893-1970 Winifred Holtby 1898-1935 Writers and Reformers lived here — Map (db m110271) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Welcome to Tavistock Square
The square is in Bloomsbury, the medical and academic quarter of London with its historical architecture, noteworthy monuments, special literary interests and international peace associations. Once part of the estate of the Dukes of Bedford and . . . — Map (db m120835) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Lambeth — Section of the Berlin Wall
Change Your Life by the graffiti artist, Indiano The Berlin Wall was erected by the East German security forces in August 1961 to seal off the East German sector of Berlin from the West. On 9 November 1989 the East Germans began taking down . . . — Map (db m118016) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Wandsworth — London Peace Pagoda
The London Peace Pagoda Na Mu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo The London Peace Pagoda was built by monks, nuns and followers of Nipponzan Myohoji at the behest of our founder and preceptor, the Most Venerable Nichidatsu Fuji (known as ‘Fujii Guruji’ by . . . — Map (db m121424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Wandsworth — London Peace Pagoda
London Peace Pagoda Prince Siddhartha, whose name means ‘every wish fulfilled’ and who was the son of King Suddhodana and Queen Maya, was born in Lumbini Park at the foot of the Himalayas more than 2,500 years ago. Immediately he took seven steps . . . — Map (db m121425) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Choir of Survivors
Chor der Überlebenden Choir of Survivors Geschenk Der Stiftung Frauenkirche Dresden Zum 50-Jährigen Jubiläumder Weihe Der St. Michael’s-Kathedrale Von Coventry Am 25. Mai 2012 Donation of the Frauenkirche Foundation Dresden For the . . . — Map (db m124647) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Coventry Cathedral
Coventry Cathedral – Living Icon of Reconciliation and Hope In 1940 this building, together with much of the city, was destroyed by fire bombs. Resolved to live out the Christian message of forgiveness, and running counter to the feelings of . . . — Map (db m124659) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dresden Place
This plaque was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Dresden Herr Gerhard Schill in the presence of His Excellency the Ambassador of the German Democratic Republic Herr Karl-Heinz Kern and the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor G.W. . . . — Map (db m124933) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Gift To The People Of Coventry
A gift to the people of Coventry From Catholic citizens Blessed by Vincent Eighth Archbishop of Birmingham 11 March 2001 — Map (db m124912) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Reconciliation
Reconciliation In 1995, 50 years after the end of the Second World War this sculpture by osefina de Vasconcellos has been given by Richard Branson as a token of reconciliation. An identical sculpture has been placed on behalf of the people . . . — Map (db m124652) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Service of Remembrance
· · nation shall not lift up sword against nation — neither shall they learn war anymore · Micah 4 · 3 · 1940 Coventry 1990 forward in friendship This plaque was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The . . . — Map (db m124654) HM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Divis Street / Sráid DhuibhiseThe Gaeltacht Quarter / An Cheathrú Ghaeltachta

There are many places of social and cultural significance in this vicinity. Raise your eyes and you'll see the twin spires of St Peter's Cathedral, a much-loved landmark of West Belfast. St Peter's is the mother church of the Diocese of Down & . . . — Map (db m134447) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The Chronicles of a People

From the burning ashes of a Clonard Street is where I trace my own. Not fifty yards across the wall my blood runs blue as well. The red brick walls and darkened halls where secrets never met. For fear a neighbor lent his ear to something he'd . . . — Map (db m134725) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — Church Bastion
The watchers and the watched There have been watchers on the walls for centuries. In 1627 two watch towers were built near the Cathedral after the guards complained about having to do duty in the rain. In the 19th century the bastions . . . — Map (db m71053) HM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — Death of InnocenceAnnette McGavigan
Annette McGavigan Aged 14 Shot dead by the British Army 6 September 1971 ——————— Here the innocence of a child's world contrasts vividly with the chaotic violence with which others have . . . — Map (db m71155) HM WM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — The Bloody Sunday Commemoration
This mural was painted to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Bloody Sunday. A circle frames the faces of the 14 victims with the youngest in the centre. The circle is the symbol of wholeness, the goal of the healing process. Fourteen oak . . . — Map (db m71158) HM WM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — The Peace Mural
This mural shows a dove and an oak leaf, as symbols of hope for the city’s future. The dove is the name of St Columba, the city’s founder, who is said to have built his monastery in an oak grove. The background mosaic of the colours of the . . . — Map (db m71440) HM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — The Peace Process
After the 1981 hunger strikes the republican movement embarked on a political process that resulted in the IRA ceasefire in August 1994. Loyalist paramilitaries declared their ceasefire in October 1994. In 1998 local politicians and the British . . . — Map (db m71218) HM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m70926) WM
New York (Ontario County), Victor — HaudenosauneePeople of the Longhouse
The Seneca call themselves Onondowahgah, People of the Great Hill. They are the western-most people of the Haudenosaunee, known today as the Six Nations Iroquois. Haudenosaunee means, "People who Build Houses," and the term has come to designate the . . . — Map (db m126074) HM
New York (Ontario County), Victor — JikonhsasehThe Mother of Nations
Jikonhasaseh was an elderly woman when the Peacemaker approached her to explain his mission to bring peace through reason to the nations of the world. She played a major role in the formation of the League of the Haudenosaunee. When the Peacemaker . . . — Map (db m126505) HM
New York (Orange County), Newburgh — The Disbandment of the Armies
This monument was erected under the authority of the Congress of the United States and of the State of New York in commemoration of The Disbandment under proclamation of the Continental Congress of Oct 18, 1783 of the Armies by whose patriotic & . . . — Map (db m8205) HM
New York (Orange County), West Point — The Hand of the Aggressor
The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength - and strength alone. Dwight David Eisenhower [ Lower Marker : ] The words inscribed on the tablet above are from a speech made in London in 1951. Presented by the Class of 1942 in memory . . . — Map (db m50149) HM
New York (Oswego County), Oswego — Bicentennial Peace GardenOswego
Near this site, on May 5-7, 1814, British naval forces entered Oswego Harbor and conducted an amphibious assault on Fort Ontario and the Village of Oswego. Lieutenant Colonel George Mitchell, commanding 290 men of the 3rd U.S. Artillery Regiment and . . . — Map (db m86211) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Washington and Carleton Meeting
Commemorating the 200th anniversary of the meetings between General George Washington and General Sir Guy Carleton at Tappan and aboard H.M.S. Perseverance. Jointly by the Historical Society of Rockland County and Tappantown Historical Society. . . . — Map (db m7291) HM
New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Treaty of Painted PostJuly 1791

Col. Timothy Pickering, commissioner appointed by President Washington, negotiated the Treaty of Painted Post with the Iroquois Indians, which ended warfare between the Six Nations and the white settlers in New York State.

Dedicated: June . . . — Map (db m91059) HM

New York (Westchester County), Croton-on-Hudson — Treaty Oak Site
At this site stood a magnificent oak tree under which, according to tradition, in A. D. 1645 Aepjen, chief sachem of the Mohegans, signed a treaty of peace with the Dutch in behalf of the Kitchiwanghs — Map (db m126257) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — Nancy Jemison Log Cabin
This log house which originally stood on the Gardeau Flats by the Genesee River was built about 1800 by Mary Jemison, "The White Woman of the Genesee," for her second daughter, Nancy. In a nearby cabin, also built by her, she lived about 35 years. . . . — Map (db m76137) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — To the Memory of Mary Jemison
[front] To the Memory of Mary Jemison, Whose home during more than seventy years of a life of strange vicissitude was among the Senecas upon the banks of this river, and whose history, inseparately connected with that of this valley has caused . . . — Map (db m76359) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — Welcome to the Seneca Council Grounds
William Pryor Letchworth first became interested in Native American culture after hearing his father's stories about Cornplanter, the Seneca Chief, meeting with Letchworth's great-uncle, John Letchworth, a Quaker preacher in Philadelphia. Sensitive . . . — Map (db m76005) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-60 — Frank P. Graham1886 - 1972
First president of Consolidated U.N.C., 1932-1949. U.S. senator; U.N. mediator, India & Pakistan. Birthplace was 50 yds. W. — Map (db m30894) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Saint Johns — CatahecassaBlackhoof Memorial
Nearby sleeps Chief (Blackhoof) Catahecassa, last principle chief of the Shawnees prior to their removal to Kansas in 1832. This was Blackhoofs town where he lived and died in Sept. 1831, at the age of 109. He fought with the French against Braddock . . . — Map (db m16971) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Bethany — 19-9 — First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
Side A: First Jain Temple in Ohio "Souls render service to one another" The Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton was established on April 22, 1979 as a non-profit tax-exempt organization under the laws of the United States and the State of . . . — Map (db m24073) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 25-9 — Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
Side A: Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is . . . — Map (db m30705) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Okeana — 26-9 — 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County
Side A: 1858 Morgan Township House On April 20, 1857, the trustees of Morgan Township met in Okeana to obtain a lot for the township house. From a quarter mill tax levy, $850 was budgeted for a house and lot. Money expended on the project . . . — Map (db m24000) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — First Tavern in Springfield1801-1924
This Marks the Site of The First Tavern in Springfield Near Which In 1808 A Permanent Peace Treaty Was Made By Simon Kenton and Others With the Indians — Map (db m127663) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — "Who Sends Thee?"
“One day while plowing I heard a voice,” whether inside me or outside of me I knew not, but I was awake. It said, ‘Go thou and see the president.’ I answered, ‘Yea, Lord, thy servant heareth.’ and unhitching my plow, I went . . . — Map (db m28002) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Westlake — 31-18 — Theodore Elijah Burton / Dover Farm1851–1929        /
Born in Jefferson, Ohio, Theodore E. Burton graduated from Oberlin College and became a prominent Cleveland attorney. He was elected to Congress in 1888 and served from 1889-91, 1895-1909, and 1921-28. He was elected U.S. Senator in 1908 and . . . — Map (db m134265) HM
Ohio (Darke County), Greenville — 4-19 — Treaty of Greene Ville 1795
Marker Front: Following General Anthony Wayne's victory at Fallen Timbers, members of the western tribes assembled at Fort Greene Ville to settle on terms of peace. Representatives of the Wyandot, Delaware, Shawnee, Ottawas, Chippewa, . . . — Map (db m17497) HM
Ohio (Darke County), Greenville — Treaty of GreenevilleAnthony Wayne Treaty Memorial
Placed to Commemorate the Treaty of Greeneville Signed August 3, 1795 by General Anthony Wayne Representing the United States Government and the chiefs and agents of the Allied Indian Tribes of the Territory Northwest of the . . . — Map (db m19883) HM
Ohio (Defiance County), Defiance — Little Turtle (Me-she-kin-o-quah)1752 - 1812
[Text on the south side of the Marker]: Little Turtle (Me-she-kin-o-quah) 1752 - 1812 Little Turtle, a war chief of the Miami People, was born near present-day Fort Wayne, Indiana. From 1790 to 1794, he lived in a . . . — Map (db m52992) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Hyatts — 12-21 — Bharatiya Hindu Temple
[Marker Front]: In 1985, Hindu immigrants from India formed a celestial organization, The Bharatiya Temple Society of Central Ohio, and through its membership adopted the Constitution and Bylaws and named the place of worship Bharatiya . . . — Map (db m12819) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Lewis Center — 122-25 — First Jain Temple in Central Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
First Jain Temple in Central Ohio “Souls render service to one another” The Jain Center of Central Ohio was established on May 12, 1991. The foundation stone of the Jain temple, the first of its kind in Central Ohio, was laid . . . — Map (db m105528) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians
Near this spot, June 21, 1813 was held a council between General William Henry Harrison and the Indians comprising Wyandots, Delawares, Shawnees and Senecas with Tarhe the Crane as spokesman resulting in permanent peace with the . . . — Map (db m59300) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Native Americans
Central Ohio was home to Native Americans as early as 10,000 years ago. While we don't know what they called themselves, archaeologists call a group of the earliest peoples, “Mound Builders”. Their society left nearly 200 burial and . . . — Map (db m30023) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Peace
Commemorating the heroic sacrifices of Ohio’s soldiers of the Civil War 1861–65 and the loyal women of that period. When our country sent out the call to arms for the preservation of the Union Ohio sent more than three hundred thousand of . . . — Map (db m9956) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle At ChristmasLytle Park Series
Lytle Park was a showplace at Christmas time for 28 years from 1939 to 1967. Thousands crowded here to view the annual Nativity Crib of the Western and Southern Life Insurance Company complete with live animals. The crib has been moved to Eden . . . — Map (db m24927) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Treaty of Greenville
In the summer of 1795, General Wayne and representatives of the Western Confederacy gathered at Fort Greenville in Ohio to negotiate a peace treaty. After a long winter with few supplies, deep distrust of the British and minimal shelter, the . . . — Map (db m90998) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sister City Garden
Enjoy this beautiful and peaceful setting on the grounds of the Sylvania Historical Village. It celebrates the alliance of Sylvania with its sister city of Woodstock, Ontario in Canada. This alliance was formed between the two cities in 1992. . . . — Map (db m103611) HM
Ohio (Marion County), Marion — 14-51 — Camp Marion, World War II Prisoners of War1944 - 1946
Side A: This site was once a twenty-four acre camp for Prisoners of War established on the grounds of the Marion Engineer Depot. The Depot was a major supply and logistics site of the U.S. Army Engineers during World War II. The first . . . — Map (db m29115) HM
Ohio (Marion County), Marion — 5-51 — Norman Mattoon Thomas
Was born on this site Nov. 20, 1884. He graduated from Marion High School in 1901, Princeton University in 1905, and from Union Theological Seminary. Thomas, a clergyman, and the son of Marion's Presbyterian minister, was a tireless worker for . . . — Map (db m27030) HM
Ohio (Marion County), Prospect — Greenville Treaty Boundary Line
. . . — Map (db m44308) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Greene Ville Treaty LineSurveyed by Israel Ludlow, 1797-1799
At this spot was found the original surveyor's stake which marked the western terminus of that part of the Greene Ville Treaty line running from near Fort Laurens, in the eastern part of the state, to Fort Recovery. From this point the line ran . . . — Map (db m20265) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 15 — The Battle of Fallen Timbers and the Treaty of Greeneville
Top panel of text: The final battle of the Northwest Indian War, Fallen Timbers, took place on August 20, 1794 in present-day Maumee, near Toledo, less than two months after the Battle of Fort Recovery. The American Indians'' loss in . . . — Map (db m137524) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Greeneville Treaty Boundary Line
The Greeneville Treaty established a boundary line between Indian and Federal land. This line was crossed in 1836 when the plot for the town of Recovery was laid out. David Beardslee laid out the land north; William McDaniel and David . . . — Map (db m136890) HM
Ohio (Morgan County), Chesterhill — 15-58 — Quaker Meeting House
Despite the fugitive slave laws that prohibited harboring runaway slaves, fugitives found refuge in the Quaker village of Chesterfield, now Chesterhill. Legend tells that no runaway slaves were ever captured here, although many were hidden and . . . — Map (db m16718) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Circleville — Capt. Michael CresapIn Memoriam
A Colonial and Revolutionary Hero of Ohio, Virginia, and Maryland, whose military services assisted in gaining the “Dunmore Treaty,” after the Battle of Point Pleasant, in which he fought in the Hampshire County, Virginia, regiment. . . . — Map (db m13660) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Circleville — Cornstalk
Two miles northwest of this site, on Scippo Creek, was the town of the Shawnee chief, Cornstalk, celebrated for his leadership of an Indian army against Virginia volunteers under Colonel Andrew Lewis, in the Battle of Point Pleasant, Virginia, . . . — Map (db m13669) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Circleville — Grenadier Squaw (Non-hel-e-ma)
Grenadier Squaw was chief of the largest Shawnee Indian village, located on the south bank of Scippo Creek, upon the Pickaway Plains in 1774. Born about 1720, Non-hel-e-ma, sister of Chief Cornstalk, was named “Grenadier Squaw” by white . . . — Map (db m13670) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Circleville — 7-65 — Grenadier Squaw Village / Cornstalk Town
Side A: Grenadier Squaw Village The Grenadier Squaw Village was located between this area and Scippo Creek, upon the Pickaway Plains, the primary Shawnee settlement in Ohio. Non-hel-e-ma, born circa 1722, was the sister of the Shawnee . . . — Map (db m13652) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Leistville — Camp Charlotte
Near this spot the famous treaty was made between Lord Dunmore, Governor of Virginia and Chief Cornstalk of the Shawnees and Allied Tribes in October 1774. This camp was named “Charlotte” after the Queen of England. — Map (db m13500) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Leistville — 6-65 — Treaty of Camp Charlotte
Side A: In an effort to maintain peace with Native Americans, the British imposed the Proclamation Line of 1763, which prohibited colonial settlement west of the Appalachian Mountains. Some settlers did not recognize British authority and . . . — Map (db m13499) HM
Ohio (Richland County), Mansfield — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Memorial Reverse: “Now it doesn't matter. (go ahead! go ahead! Sounding from the audience.) It really doesn't matter what happens now. I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead, (yeah! oh yes!) . . . — Map (db m20859) HM
Ohio (Shelby County), Fort Loramie — Greene Ville Treaty LineAnthony Wayne Parkway
This marker is located on the boundary line which was established at the end of the Indian wars to separate the American settlers and the Indians. It was agreed upon by the United States and the defeated confederated Indian tribes at the Treaty of . . . — Map (db m20587) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Canton — 27-76 — Martin Luther King Jr. in Canton
"All life is interrelated in today's world. I can't be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be; and you can't be what you ought to be 'till I am what I ought to be." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke these words before 3,500 . . . — Map (db m139959) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 37-77 — Treaty of Fort McIntosh Boundary Line
In 1785, American Indian tribal leaders from the Chippewa, Delaware, Ottawa, and Wyandot met with representatives sent by the United States Congress to sign the controversial Treaty of Fort McIntosh. The treaty surrendered control of Native . . . — Map (db m43512) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), Zoar — Zoar Village
Zoar was founded in 1817 by a group of immigrants from Wurttemburg, Germany, who sought religious freedom. The mandatory military service in Germany prompted many pacifist groups, like the Zoarites, to immigrate to the United States. The separatist . . . — Map (db m81582) HM
Ohio (Union County), West Mansfield — 11-80 — Greeneville Treaty Line / Greeneville Treaty Line in Union County
[Front Side of Marker]: "Greeneville Treaty Line" The Treaty of Greeneville created the Greeneville Treaty Line. It was the boundary between lands in the original possession of the Indians and those they ceded to the United States, . . . — Map (db m43895) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — 2-83 — Union Village(1805 - 1912)
Side A: Union Village, the first and largest Shaker (United Society of Believers) community west of the Allegheny Mountains, was established in 1805. Nearly 4,000 Shakers lived in Union Village, the last living here until 1920. They owned 4,500 . . . — Map (db m24074) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Waynesville — Friends Burial Ground
In 1804, Miami Monthly Meeing purchased this land to use as a graveyard. Burials were made without regard to status or family association, but rather by date of death. Some of the earliest graves are marked with a plain rock obtained from a nearby . . . — Map (db m26524) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Hull Prairie — Fort Miamis Reserve/MiltonvilleAnthony Wayne Parkway
[North side of Marker]:Fort Miamis Reserve “River tracts 46 and 47 in Township No. 1 United States Reserve” is the official description of the Miltonville location. The “United States Reserve” was the . . . — Map (db m25871) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — 280mm Heavy Motorized Gun M65(Gun Nr. 21 on Carriage Nr. 3)
(left plaque) At 8:31 a.m. on 25 May 1953 this gun fired the world's first atomic artillery round, at Camp Desert Rock, Nevada. 19 seconds later and 7¾ miles distant, the shell that could wipe out an enemy division exploded on target with . . . — Map (db m60886) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Trooper Kenneth "Kenny" OsbornJuly 7, 1947 - July 13, 1978 — In Memory Of —
Joined the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in 1972 Trooper Osborn was killed on July 13, 1978 after stopping to investigate an abandoned vehicle on the Turner Turnpike. He was struck and killed by an out-of-control semi-trailer rig loaded with . . . — Map (db m59940) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Trooper Larry CrabtreeDec. 3, 1943 - Apr. 4, 1977 — In Memory Of —
Joined the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in 1964 Trooper Crabtee was killed on April 4, 1977 by a single shotgun blast fired by a sixteen year-old driver at Mile Fifty Eight. Trooper Crabtee had stopped the driver for illegally entering the . . . — Map (db m59942) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Haskell — 72 — La Harpe's Council
First peace council and alliance in Oklahoma between a European nation and Indian tribes held here at a Tawakoni village by Comdt Bernard De La Harpe on his first visit to the Arkansas River. He erected a post here carved with the coat-of-arms of . . . — Map (db m77867) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — As Long As The Waters FlowDedication Ceremonies
Honoring the centuries-old presence and contribution of Native Americans to Oklahoma State Capitol Rotunda Sunday, June 4, 1989 Master of Ceremonies State Senator Enoch Kelly Haney, Seminole Creek Program Participants Allan Houser . . . — Map (db m60269) HM
Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Friendship Between the Osage and the Occitan of Montauban

In November 1829, three Osages arrived in Montauban, the Occitan Region of France. Little Chief, Big Soldier and Hawk Woman crossed the Old Bridge, received help from Bishop Dubourg, and with the generosity of the people of Montauban they were . . . — Map (db m83108) HM

Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Tulsa — Indian Memorial

682 feet east of this marker the territories of the Cherokee • Creek • Osage Tribes of Indians join in a common boundary point

On June 2, 1825, the Osage Nation, under treaty with the U.S. granted certain lands to the . . . — Map (db m111583) HM

Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Tulsa — Mt. Zion Baptist ChurchTulsa, Oklahoma — "The Church That Faith Built" —

Built and dedicated April 4, 1921

Completely reduced to charred smoldering ruin during Tulsa's infamous race riot June 1, 1921

Rebuilt and dedicated as a monument to faithfulness and perseverance October 21, 1952

Dedicated . . . — Map (db m111646) HM

Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Melvin "Buck" GarrisonFebruary 18, 1946 • December 26, 1971 — Game Warden —
We enjoy the bountiful wildlife and rich natural resources in Oklahoma because of the many officers who have dedicated their lives to wildlife law enforcement. Ranger Garrison gave his life, the ultimate sacrifice, while attempting to arrest a . . . — Map (db m68078) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — "The Great Peace Jubilee"
On July 1-4, 1913, the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg was celebrated with the first joint reunion for all Union and Confederate veterans, many of whom fought here in 1863. 53,407 veterans attended. 44,713 Union and 8,694 . . . — Map (db m19063) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Touring the Battlefield
Self-Guiding Auto Tour The complete 24-mile auto tour starts at the visitor center and includes the following 16 tour stops, the Barlow Knoll Loop, and the Historic Downtown Gettysburg Tour. The route traces the three-day battle in . . . — Map (db m130287) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Legion of the United States Encampment
On the plateau, southwest of this spot, was situated the camp of the army of General Anthony Wayne. This army, known as the Legion of the United States, encamped at this place when on the expedition against the Indians west of the Ohio from . . . — Map (db m40299) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Birdsboro — William Penn
On his first visit to America 1682 - 1684 came farthest north on Schuylkill River fifty miles up from the Falls of Schuylkill to or near the mouth of Monocacy Creek three fourth of a mile south-[direction erased] of this marker . . . — Map (db m25202) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Douglassville — Anthony Sadowski
Polish pioneer, Indian trader, settled along Schuylkill River in this area, 1712. He served the Provincial government as a messenger-interpreter during negotiations with Indian tribes in 1728. He was buried, 1736, in graveyard of St. Gabriel's . . . — Map (db m25273) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Kutztown — The Mennonites

The Mennonites were named for Menno Simmons, a 16th century Dutch leader. They are descendants of the 16th century religious radicals who were known as Anabaptists. They wanted to reserve the rite of baptism for those adults who had made a . . . — Map (db m105513) HM

Pennsylvania (Berks County), Womelsdorf — Conrad Weiser
Pioneer, Indian interpreter, treaty maker, 1732-1760. The Indians called him the "Holder of the Heavens." He lived, died, and is buried on this property, now a State Park devoted to his memory. — Map (db m38777) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Womelsdorf — Home of Conrad Weiser, 1729-1760
Churchman, Counsellor, Soldier, Indian-Interpreter, Agent, Diplomat and First Judge of Berks County. Here were held many conferences with Indian chiefs, missionaries, colonial governors and leaders. Here were reared his children of whom the . . . — Map (db m39286) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Community Service and Veterans Memorial
This monument honors the citizens of Doylestown Township and surrounding Central Bucks municipalities who through public service and volunteerism have devoted themselves to the betterment and welfare of their communities as well as those who have . . . — Map (db m23458) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Fallsington — Falls Monthly Meeting of Friends1683 - 1933
The first Falls Meeting House built here in 1690 on 6 acres given by Samuel Burges The second House, 1728 The third, present, house, to left, 1789 The fourth, present, house, to right, 1841 Here William Penn attended and . . . — Map (db m30601) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Fallsington — Moon Williamson Log HouseHistoric Fallsington
Quaker Samuel Moon resided here in the late 1700s and early 1800s. As a well known carpenter, he was particularly skilled in making Windsor chairs. This celebrated and prized antique originally served a functional role in public buildings and . . . — Map (db m30610) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Edward Hicks(1780 - 1849)
Famed primitive artist. His subjects included farmscapes & Biblical scenes; he painted more than fifty versions of The Peaceable Kingdom, based on a prophecy of Isaiah. Also a coach & sign painter; a Quaker preacher. Lived here on Penn . . . — Map (db m32066) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Edward Hicks HouseNewtown Heritage Walk No. 3
Edward Hicks (1780-1849), son of Isaac and Catherine Hicks, was a Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist, most famous for over sixty versions of his Peaceable Kingdom paintings. Born in Langhorne, his mother died when he was young, . . . — Map (db m32316) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Friends MeetingNewtown Heritage Walk No. 5
Newtown Friends Meeting is an active place of worship for approximately 250 area Quakers. Newtown Meeting was co-founded by Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist Edward Hicks, now highly acclaimed for his renditions of The Peaceable . . . — Map (db m32212) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Atoms for Peace
Penn State in 1955 became the first university licensed by the Atomic Energy Commission to operate a nuclear reactor as part of U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower's "Atoms for Peace" program. Named for Wm. Breazeale, Penn State's first Professor of . . . — Map (db m135648) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Chadds Ford — Isaac & Dinah Mendenhall(1806-82) / (1807-89)
Quaker abolitionists, the Mendenhalls harbored freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad in their nearby home, Oakdale. Originally members of Old Kennett Meeting, which became divided on the issue of slavery, they helped found Longwood Progressive . . . — Map (db m126195) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — The Peace Garden at Birmingham
During the Battle of the Brandywine on September 11, 1777, the American Army used the walls of this Quaker Burial Ground in their first line of defense. Both armies used this meetinghouse of Quaker pacifists as a hospital. Behind the wall is the . . . — Map (db m8244) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — The Promenade de Fismes
The cities of Fismes, France and Meadville, U.S.A. have shared a long history of friendship dating back to World Wars I and II. In tribute to this special friendship this walkway in Diamond Park shall forever more be known as the Promenade de . . . — Map (db m132140) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — “Never Again”
    This memorial to the Holocaust, once a dream for survivors who settled in this community, became a reality in 1994 and was rededicated in 2007.     The monument represents a spiritual reminder of the darkest chapter of history, when Hitler . . . — Map (db m6279) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Rose Valley — Mildred Scott Olmsted(1890-1990)
An antiwar campaigner and women's and civil rights activist. Olmsted traveled the world on behalf of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. WILPF's advocacy was consistent with her Quaker beliefs. She headed the national WILPF . . . — Map (db m122319) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Susquehannock Apartments146 Locust Street
Susquehannock — One of the two Native American Tribes (Shawnee) that originally populated the area around Columbia, PA. During the 1700', their estimated combined numbers were 2,000 (7,000 by modern estimates). Migrated to the area . . . — Map (db m136298) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — The Brethren
The Brethren movement started in 1708 in Schwarzenau, Germany when a group of Pietists of Reformed and Lutheran background adopted an anabaptist church organization. Due to severe repression and economic necessity, virtually the entire movement . . . — Map (db m136608) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Brothers' House Complex
The Brothers' House (Bethania) was built on this site in the spring of 1746. Although it is difficult to determine the actual height of the building, the Brothers' House was probably a four-and-one-half story half-timber structure that measured . . . — Map (db m23082) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Lucretia C. Mott
Nearby stood “Roadside,” the home of the ardent Quakeress, Lucretia C. Mott (1793-1880). Her most notable work was in connection with antislavery, women's rights, temperance and peace. — Map (db m22119) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Horsham — Horsham Friends Meeting Meeting House
Built 1803 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m28106) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Gemeinhaus(Clergy House)
Erected in 1741. First place of worship in Bethlehem was on the second floor. Count von Zinzendorf had quarters here, 1742. Place of many notable conferences in the Colonial and Revolutionary periods. ————— . . . — Map (db m27138) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Moravian Community
Community organized June 25, 1742. The oldest buildings are on West Church Street. Those marked are; Gemeinhaus, Sisters' House, Bell House, Brothers' House, and Old Chapel. — Map (db m26907) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — "Burn this treaty to Hell!"

On July 4, 1795, angry Philadelphians crowded the streets to protest the ratification of the Jay Treaty. The mob burned an effigy of former Chief Justice John Jay, who had negotiated a treaty with England that many people despised for its . . . — Map (db m102220) HM

Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Arch Street Friends1681
The Arch Street Meeting House stands as an enduring symbol of the people who created Pennsylvania as a "Holy Experiment." Built to house the men's and women's Yearly Meetings, the business sessions of the Religious Society of Friends for . . . — Map (db m9324) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Awarding a Peace Medal

In 1792, Otetiani, a Seneca orator and political leader, led a large delegation of Native American leaders to Philadelphia to negotiate a peace treaty between Native American nations in the Northwest Territory and the United States. In honor of . . . — Map (db m102414) HM

Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Philadelphia Beirut Bombing Memorial
October 23, 1983 241 servicemen killed in the Beirut, Lebanon terrorist bombing In Memoriam to the Philadelphia Marine casualties of the Beirut Peace Keeping Mission Cpl. Moses Arnold, Jr. • Sgt. John J. Bonk, Jr. • Cpl. . . . — Map (db m21518) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Pope John Paul II
This plaque commemorates the site where His Holiness Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass and proclaimed his message of peace and love to the people of Philadelphia and the nation October 5, 1979 Presented by the Philadelphia Chapter, Knights of . . . — Map (db m106926) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Shrewsbury — Spurgeon Milton Keeny(1893-1988)
The humanitarian's boyhood home. Served worldwide, 1917-76. In Asia, directed UNICEF; aided family planning. Chief, UN's Italy relief; assisted Russian relief. A YMCA officer in Mesopotamia, Siberia, Estonia, Poland; later was on its U. S. Council. — Map (db m4546) HM
Rhode Island (Providence County), Providence — Repentance for Slavery
On this site Providence R.I. July 5th 1999 in conjunction with the 22nd general Synod of the United Church of Christ a group of church and community people gathered in an act of repentance for African American slavery and in celebration of human . . . — Map (db m56283) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Sioux Falls — President Woodrow Wilson
(side 1) President Woodrow Wilson came to Sioux Falls on September 8, 1919, as part of a 29-city campaign to stump for the Treaty of Versailles, which included the League of Nations. An excited crowd of onlookers cheered the 28th . . . — Map (db m124172) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Friendsville — The Underground RailroadFriendsville Quakers and Cudjo's Cave
Members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) came to Blount County in the 1790s looking for a place to worship in peace. Hardworking and industrious, opposing war and slavery, they developed the land and founded the prosperous settlements . . . — Map (db m81361) HM
Tennessee (Hamilton County), Lookout Mountain — MT221-29 — New York Peace Monument
[Text from the outer plaque facing north]: On Nov. 23, 1863, Maj. Gen. Hooker was directed to make a demonstration early the following morning on the Point of Lookout Mountain with the troops in Lookout Valley under his command, . . . — Map (db m23954) HM WM
Tennessee (Monroe County), Sweetwater — Tennessee Meiji Gakuin High School 1989-2007
This monument commemorates Tennessee Meiji Gakuin High School (TMG) which existed here. The school was founded on the Christian principle of service to mankind, with the motto: "Do for others". During its 18 years, TMG graduated 677 students. . . . — Map (db m70484) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Kuni Wada Bakery Remembrance
"When nothing else subsists from the past, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered. The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls. Bearing resiliently, on tiny and almost impalpable drops of . . . — Map (db m89358) HM WM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Torch of FriendshipA Gift from the People and Friends of Mexico
Symbol that stands for the unity and friendship that exists between Mexico, the United States and Canada When designing the sculpture, I thought of creating a symbol of light and I came up with the idea of a torch that stands tall to evoke . . . — Map (db m31848) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Surfside Beach — The Lively
First vessel with emigrants to Austin's colony landed here December 23, 1821. The Battle of Velasco was fought here June 26, 1832. Public and secret treaties of peace between the Republic of Texas and General Santa Anna were signed here . . . — Map (db m96294) HM
Texas (Crosby County), Crosbyton — 5267 — Texas Ranger Campsite(one mile north)
Law and order for Plains area began here in 1879 with creation of Camp Roberts, first ranger station in Panhandle. Company C of the newly formed Frontier Battalion of Texas Rangers was located here and commanded by Capt. G. W. Arrington, Civil War . . . — Map (db m105161) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Fredericksburg — Lasting Friendshipby J. Hester — Pioneer Garden —
John O. Meusebach, German settler and founder of Fredericksburg, and Penatuka Comanche chief, Santanna share a peace pipe on May 7, 1847, at the signing of the treaty between the People of Fredericksburg and the Comanche Nation. The standing . . . — Map (db m35884) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Fredericksburg — 10033 — The Easter Fires
Blazing on the hills around Fredericksburg each Easter eve, combined with a local pageant these fires recall an old tale. In March 1847, when Comanches and whites signed a major peace treaty, the Indians lighted huge signal fires on these . . . — Map (db m88112) HM
Texas (Harrison County), Karnack — 15018 — Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant
In 1941, as the United States prepared for eventual entry into World War II, the U.S. Army Ordnance Department approached Monsanto Chemical Company of St. Louis about operating a local plant for production of explosives. Initially called Longhorn . . . — Map (db m110849) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 5510 — Torrey's Trading Post No. 2(2.3 mi. north on bluff above Trading House Creek)
Site of greatest Indian council in Republic of Texas. There President Sam Houston made famous 1844 peace talks to assembled chiefs. Was "listening post" for frontier. Built and run by George Barnard for Torrey's Trading Company, post in 1844-49 was . . . — Map (db m84677) HM
Utah (Weber County), Ogden — French BoxcarOgden Union Station
During World War I and II army troops were transported around France in trains. Troops were frequently loaded into boxcars which were boldly stenciled with their carrying capacity: “Hommes 40-Cheveaux 8” (40 men or 8 horses). The . . . — Map (db m81036) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Site of the Old Gas Station
Original home of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Founded May 5, 1978 Placed in commemoration of their Tenth Anniversary Celebration June 4, 1988 — Map (db m89108) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Christ ChurchCity of Alexandria Est. 1749
Before the American Revolution, the Church of England was the established church of Virginia and part of the colonial government. For administrative purposes, the colony was divided into "parishes" and all residents paid taxes to maintain church . . . — Map (db m115716) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox Court House — After the Surrender
The depression before you is the trace of the old Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road. Gen. Robert E. Lee rode this route both to and from his meeting with Grant on April 9, 1865. His return to the army – as he passed towards his headquarters atop . . . — Map (db m6004) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox Court House — Appomattox
Here on Sunday April 9, 1865, after four years of heroic struggle in defense of principles believed fundamental to the existence of our government, Lee surrendered 9000 men, the remnant of an army still unconquered in spirit. — Map (db m6005) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox Court House — Appomattox River
Near this site General Lee crossed the Appomattox River and proceeded up the hill to the McLean House where he met General Grant to draft the terms of surrender. April 9, 1865. — Map (db m6006) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox Court House — McLean House
At midday on April 9, 1865, General Robert E. Lee rode into this yard, dismounted, and disappeared into the McLean House. Grant, surrounded by generals and staff officers, soon followed. Dozens of officers, horses, and onlookers waited outside. . . . — Map (db m5962) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox Court House — The Surrender Ceremony
“As my decimated and ragged band with their bullet torn banner marched into its place, someone in the blue line…called for three cheers for the last brigade to surrender… [F]or us this soldierly generosity was more than we could bear. Many . . . — Map (db m5965) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Harmony of FriendshipNetherlands Carillon, George Washington Memorial Parkway — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
With the gift of a carillon Queen Juliana of the Netherlands presented something truly Dutch to the American people. The fifty pbells are inscribed with a verse from a poem and an emblem representing each of the Dutch provinces and different . . . — Map (db m129464) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Modern LiberationNetherlands Carillon, George Washington Memorial Parkway
The Netherlands Carillon was dedicated on May 5, 1960, on the 15th anniversary of the Netherlands' liberation from Nazi Germany. In gratitude for American aid received during and after World War II, the Dutch people rallied to support the memorial . . . — Map (db m129469) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Mount Vernon TrailGeorge Washington Memorial Parkway — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial Learn more about the U.S. Marine Corps' long history of service. Sculpted from a famous photograph of the second flag-raising during the World War II battle for Iwo Jima, the monument honors all Marines who have . . . — Map (db m130982) HM WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Spirit of the Elbe
In recognition of the cooperation of American, Soviet, and Allied armed forces during World War II, this marker symbolizes the link up of Soviet and American elements at the Elbe River on 25 April 1945. In tribute to the battle against . . . — Map (db m30704) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — F-31 — Gen. George C. Marshall House
Gen. George C. Marshall (1880-1959) and his wife, Katherine Tupper Marshall (1882-1978), purchased this early-19th-century house and its surrounding four acres in 1941. They lived here during the years of Marshall's great achievements as Army chief . . . — Map (db m101758) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-11 — Lynchburg
In 1757 John Lynch opened a ferry here; in 1765 a church was built. In 1786 Lynchburg was established by act of Assembly; in 1791 the first tobacco warehouse was built. Lynchburg was incorporated as a town in 1805. In 1840 the James River and . . . — Map (db m46461) HM
Virginia, Manassas — Peace JubileeFriendship and Reconciliation
In July, 1911, an amazing event took place here at Manassas, Virginia. The Manassas National Jubilee of Peace brought together Union and Confederate veterans fifty years after the first major battle of the Civil War. For the first time, veterans of . . . — Map (db m2469) HM
Virginia, Richmond — SA 46-a — Early Quakers in Richmond
Near this site a meetinghouse was built in 1797 to 1798 by members of the Religious Society of Friends. Called Quakers, the earliest had arrived in Virginia from England in 1655. The building was the second house of worship in Richmond after St. . . . — Map (db m32317) HM
Virginia, Richmond — 13 — Reconciliation StatueRichmond Slave Trail
Dedicated 2007 CE Identical statues in Liverpool, England; Benin, West Africa; and Richmond, Virginia, memorialize the British, African, and American triangular trade route, now identified as the Reconciliation Triangle. Traders profited from . . . — Map (db m41843) HM
Virginia, Virginia Beach — Peace Monument
On the 50th anniversary of the USA DAI Nippon Butoku Kai, this peace monument in Red Wing Park was created by the City of Virginia Beach with lofty aims for people-to-people initiatives of sister cities. The monument stands with prayers and hopes . . . — Map (db m98428)
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Cosmopolis — Cosmopolis Treaty GroundsFebruary 25, 1855
In 1854, the U.S. Commissioner of Indian Affairs instructed Isaac I. Stevens, Governor of the Washington Territory, to enter into treaties with the coast Indian tribes. Following the initial council meetings here in Cosmopolis, treaty councils were . . . — Map (db m129124) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park — The Life of Martin Luther King, Jr. —
This park honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. was inspired by Dr. King’s last speech entitled “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop.” He delivered the speech in Memphis, Tennessee the night before he was assassinated. He was there in support of . . . — Map (db m22557) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Global VisionBascom Hill Historic District
In 1961, more than 100 University of Wisconsin students and graduates applied to spend two years volunteering in some of the world's neediest countries as part of a new program known as the Peace Corps. Their participation began a long relationship . . . — Map (db m31951) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Reform and RevoltBascom Hill Historic District
University of Wisconsin students traditionally have been active in political and social causes, and that was never more apparent than during the turbulent 1960s. During that time, students frequently led rallies and demonstrations, many of which . . . — Map (db m31761) HM
Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 242 — Spence Park
Because of the fertile soil and lush woodlands on the river shores, the Winnebago Indians settled in this area in 1772. Sixty years later they ceded these lands to the U.S. Government. In 1842, Nathan Myrick, the first white settler in La Crosse, . . . — Map (db m8538) HM

398 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 398 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement