Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Man-Made Features Historical Markers

 
Harrisville Depot Marker (<i>tall view; marker mounted on left side of railroad depot sign</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 24, 2018
Harrisville Depot Marker (tall view; marker mounted on left side of railroad depot sign)
Michigan (Alcona County), Harrisville — Harrisville Depot
In 1883, Russell Alger formed the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad. In 1895 it was combined with the Alpena and Northern to form the Detroit and Mackinaw Rail Company. In 1900 depot sites were selected at Greenbush and Harrisville. Scheduled . . . — Map (db m121975) HM
Michigan (Alger County), Munising — Munising Public Dock
With the discovery of iron ore in Marquette County in 1844 and the opening of the Sault Locks in 1855, commerce and travel boomed on Lake Superior. Munising served not only as a port, but also as a harbor of refuge during storms. The first Munising . . . — Map (db m143346) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Steaming Open the Frontier
Steam power first appeared on the Great Lakes in 1818. The earliest "steamers" were expensive to build and operate. Constructed of wood, the vessels had shallow bottoms and were powered by large sidewheels. For a time, these "sidewheelers" . . . — Map (db m121957) HM
Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Early Elk Rapids and the Elk River

In this photo you are standing on the other side of the Elk River and to the left side of the photograph. This picture of Elk Rapids is from the 1890s and the view is from the top of the Elk Rapids Iron Company's Furnace. What is left of . . . — Map (db m98173) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk River, Entry to the Chain of Lakes of Antrim County

As shown in the above photograph taken in c1910, the Elk River and Chain of Lakes provided a means of transporting logs to the Dexter & Noble sawmill and a shoreline site where cord wood was made into charcoal fuel for the iron furnace. . . . — Map (db m98151) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Rotary Park "Centennial Project"

US 31 in its present location was built in 1953. In the 1960s, the Rotary Club of Elk Rapids began to develop the land between the highway and Elk River. With the help of other local organizations, the area became a park, named Rotary Park in . . . — Map (db m98118) HM

Michigan (Arenac County), Omer — L444 — Omer Masonic Hall
This churchlike white frame structure with its graceful cupola was built in 1890 as the second Arenac County Courthouse. The first courthouse on this site burned the previous year. Omer had been a part of Bay County until Arenac was organized in . . . — Map (db m70969) HM
Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — L0468 — Mills Community House

This building was a girls dormitory erected in 1909 for the Benzonia Academy. Named Mills Cottage in honor of the Reverend Harlow S. Mills, pastor of Benzonia Congregational Church from 1896 to 1916, it became property of that church when the . . . — Map (db m97479) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Beulah — Crystal Lake
In 1873 an ambitious but ill-advised project was put through in an effort to connect Crystal Lake and Lake Michigan with a navigable channel. The original level of Crystal Lake was, at that time, much higher than its present level. The project was a . . . — Map (db m97481) HM
Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Fog Signal Building

On December 12, 1891, the Lighthouse Board issued a "Notice to Mariners" informing them that a long sought steam-powered fog signal, featuring two 10-inch whistles similar to those then used on locomotives, had been installed at Point Betsie. . . . — Map (db m98327) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Gravestone at Point Betsie

Yes, we have a gravestone at Point Betsie but alas no grave. Edward Wheaton, Keeper 1934 to 1946, made this gravestone to honor his mother, Martha Madsen Wheaton, 1857 to 1941. She died in Cheboygan.

Keeper Edward Wheaton could not lift the . . . — Map (db m98323) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Oil House

Prior to 1892, large quantities of kerosene that fueled Point Betsie's beacon and apartment lamps, etc., was kept at the base of the lighthouses tower. As at other light stations, a separate building was erected here in 1892 to provide safer . . . — Map (db m98330) HM

Michigan (Branch County), Sherwood — 28 — Riley Dam & Trail EndUnion City Heritage Water Trail
George Ackerman, as a UCHS student, noted this spot on the river as a possible location for a dam. He went on to become a civil engineer. Around 1919, rising coal costs forced the village to turn toward hydro and they sought out Ackerman’s Chicago . . . — Map (db m95654) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 27 — "Municipal Pond" Becomes Union Lake
In 1923, when the Riley Dam was built in the St. Joe to create hydro for the village, the 500+ acre backwater was known only as the “Municipal Pond.” There had not been enough time to clear the swampy land before damming, so trees were . . . — Map (db m95243) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 4 — Coldwater River & BridgeUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The first wooden bridge was built across the Coldwater River in 1843 with a steel bridge erected about 1895. The current bridge was constructed in the late 1950s. The Coldwater River starts from Coldwater Lake and meanders northwest 29.5 miles . . . — Map (db m95164) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 22 — Gerald Davison's Hilltop House
1926 UCHS graduate and creative entrepreneur, Gerald Davison (1908-75) was the founder of Duo Coach Trailer(Marker #12). Upon selling that enterprise, he designed and built many unique Frank Lloyd Wright style homes in Union City and on Sycamore . . . — Map (db m95240) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 2 — J.P. Palmer Launch and & Railroad TrestleUnion City Heritage Water Trail
Thanks to late 1800s area artist J.P. Palmer, many local river scenes were preserved in watercolor and oil. Moving here at age 10 from New York, he went on to study at Albion College and the Chicago Art Institute. His paintings were in great demand . . . — Map (db m95653) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 6 — Narrow Gauge Railway to the Cement FactoryUnion City Heritage Water Trail
There was a trestle here for a narrow gauge railway from Turtle Lake, 2 miles to the north, to the cement factory in the SE corner of town for transporting marl. The railway crossed both the St. Joe and Coldwater Rivers. Peerless Portland Cement was . . . — Map (db m95167) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 3 — Randall Dam & Start of MillraceUnion City Heritage Water Trail
Early surveying parties sent out on the Washtenaw trail, which became M-60, took back glowing accounts of the potential for water power at the junction of the two rivers and this quick stretch named the Coldwater Rapids. The first race was . . . — Map (db m95207) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 12 — Riverside Hotel, Duo Coach & UCIUnion City Heritage Water Trail
Built in the early 1870s near the depot on Railroad St., the Riverside Hotel was first known as the Johnson House. It was moved to this location by teams of horses and oxen while rolling on logs. The two long verandas were then added. Before its . . . — Map (db m95221) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 26 — The Arbogast BridgeUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The Arbogast Bridge is considered the east end of Union Lake. The wetlands surrounding the bridge are significant habitat to many types of birds and waterfowl. Keep your eye peeled for swans, sandhill cranes, loons, cormorants, heron, egrets, geese, . . . — Map (db m95400) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 11 — The Broadway BridgeUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The first Broadway Bridge was constructed of wood in 1835. It was replaced with a steel structure in 1876. One of the largest bridges in Branch Co., it was washed out in the flood of 1908. Many locals who had been observing the floodwaters below . . . — Map (db m95220) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 15 — The Flood of 1908 & Broadway Bridge "Island"Union City Heritage Water Trail
On March 4,1908, heavy rains on top of 24” of snow followed by a thaw caused the rivers to spill over 4” above their highest known levels, submerging large sections of the village. The Broadway Bridge collapsed into the swollen river and . . . — Map (db m95156) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 8 — The St. Joe Tavern & The BucketUnion City Heritage Water Trail
In 1833 just behind this home a livery was first deeded to feed and stable local horses. In 1913 it was known as Bell Livery Stable. In 1937, Mr. Densmore converted the livery to The St. Joe Tavern after moving the bar business from the Riverside . . . — Map (db m95397) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 14 — Titlow House & Parachute FactoryUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The Titlow House was built on this site in 1845, originally containing a store and meat market before the conversion to a hotel in 1867. In 1915, it was razed to make way for Spoore’s Ford Garage. It was subsequently owned by Engle Stanton, . . . — Map (db m95206) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 5 — Union City CreameryUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The Union City Creamery was established in July 1901 as a co-operative enterprise between fifty local farmers and a handful of businessmen on capitol stock of $10,000. In 1902, the model plant managed by Mrs. C. B. Spoor averaged milk receipts . . . — Map (db m95401) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 566 — The Observatory
The Albion College Astronomical Observatory was built in 1883-84 at the urging of Dr. Samuel Dickie, who later became president of the college. Dickie helped raise $10,000 to build and equip the facility. The observatory still harbors its original . . . — Map (db m27743) HM
Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — Big Rock Point Nuclear Power Plant Flag Pole

This flagpole once stood at the site of Consumers Energy's Big Rock Point Nuclear Plant, about 4.5 miles northwest of Charlevoix off of U.S. 31. The plant set several industry records throughout its operating life from 1962 to . . . — Map (db m98098) HM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — Odmark Band Pavilion

Clarence "Odie" Odmark Charlevoix Band Director 1946 - 1975

"The music that resonated throughout my life, Now resounds from my spirit." — Map (db m98090) HM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — L1930 — The First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church was formed in 1882. Members purchased this lot in 1883, and the building was completed in 1885. Church women held social fundraisers to help finance its cost. The building features rare Stick style motifs. The . . . — Map (db m98093) HM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — Wharfside Building and Park Acquisition

Wharfside Building Acquisition The 2002 purchase of the Wharfside Building (formerly known as Neff Brothers Quality Food Store) culminated the City of Charlevoix's one hundred and six year dedicated effort to purchase properties along the . . . — Map (db m98056) HM

Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Building Mighty MacMackinaw City Historical Pathway
The Mackinac Bridge is constructed of three segments – at each end is a post-supported truss bridge and in the center is a suspension bridge segment. This bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world for decades after its . . . — Map (db m107135) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — S377 — Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
This light is opposite the turning point for ships making the difficult passage through the Straits of Mackinac, one of the busiest crossroads of the Great Lakes. McGulpin's Point light, two miles to the west, had been established in 1856, but it . . . — Map (db m40053) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — The Dixie HighwayMackinaw City Historical Pathway
Since the beginning of the 20th century, two main roads brought tourists to Northern Michigan. These roads were the East and West Pikes and they converged in Mackinaw City. In 1915 the East Pike became part of the Dixie Highway, a series of . . . — Map (db m125535) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — The Meneely Bell
The Meneely bell atop this tower helped guide the train ferries Chief Wawatam and Sainte Marie in foggy weather to the New York Central Railroad Dock in Mackinaw City. The bell, cast in 1890 in Troy, N.Y., was in service until 1952 and weighs . . . — Map (db m138340) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Paradise — 272 — Whitefish Point Lighthouse
This light, the oldest active on Lake Superior, began operating in 1849, though the present tower was constructed later. Early a stopping place for Indians, voyageurs, and Jesuit missionaries, the point marks a course change for ore boats and other . . . — Map (db m40054) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Sault Ste. Marie — St. Marys Falls Canal
St. Marys Falls Canal has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m143700) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — Carriage House
In 1996, the Ovid Historical Society with the financial aid of the Downtown Development Association purchased a carriage that had been manufactured at the Ovid Carriage Works, later known as the Scofield Buggy Company in Ovid. The members of the . . . — Map (db m119805) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — L2193 — Sand Point Lighthouse / Squaw Point Boathouse
Sand Point Lighthouse From 1868 to 1939 the Sand Point Lighthouse warned mariners of the spit of land extending into Little Bay de Noc at the entrance to Escanaba Harbor. The U.S. Congress authorized construction of the lighthouse in 1864, . . . — Map (db m137333) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — The Port - Today
The growth of Escanaba from a small town into a growing city in such a brief time can be traced directly to the expansion of lake shipping in this port. Over the years, Escanaba harbor has seen times of boom and bust in the fishing, lumber and . . . — Map (db m137286) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Wells — Waterpowered Sawmills
Donald McLeod of Green Bay purchased Alden Chandler's water-powered mill, the first sawmill built on the Escanaba River, and in 1844 sold it to John and Joseph Smith. Chandler was again "first" when he became the first postmaster serving . . . — Map (db m139246) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — S-273 — Cornish Pump
When the E. P. Allis Company of Milwaukee built this pump in 1890/91, it was heralded as the nation’s largest steam-driven pumping engine. On January 3, 1893, the massive engine, designed by Edwin C. Reynolds, began lifting two hundred tons of water . . . — Map (db m143663) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — History of the Bennett Park Dam
The dam at Bennett Park was built around 1907 to provide cooling water for a stream generated water works facility. Additionally, it served as a local recreational attraction for many members of the community who would swim and fish here. The . . . — Map (db m126182) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Grand Ledge 1909
Look to your left and up to see the water tank built in 1909. There, an enterprising photographer took this photograph, perhaps the first aerial view of Grand Ledge. He captured a section of the Grand River where the north and south sides were . . . — Map (db m125656) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 3 — What's Buried Down Below?
Looking down hill from this area you may notice a pond. Once two types of shale were processed from this quarry and used for brick making. It was said that at one time this quarry was over 60 feet deep and that during the last years of operations . . . — Map (db m122653) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Alanson — 2139 — W. W. Fairbairn
Walter W. Fairbairn came to Alanson in 1888 as a government surveyor. He worked as a blacksmith in Detroit and lived in North Dakota before settling permanently in Alanson in 1892. Three years later, he established a hardware and plumbing . . . — Map (db m107153) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — S0151A — Bay View / Bay View Association

(Side A) Bay View Bay View comprises one of Michigan's most spectacular collections of Victorian era architecture. Sweeping verandas and stately turrets characterize the Queen Anne style evident in the cottages and public buildings. . . . — Map (db m97487) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — First Bay View Fire Hydrant

Now disconnected this hydrant was the first one in use in Bay View around 1883 — Map (db m97529) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — John M. Hall AuditoriumBay View - Est. 1875

John M. Hall, a young attorney from Flint, was elected as superintendent of the Chautauqua Educational Department of Bay View in 1885. After nearly three decades as superintendent of the Bay View assembly, the Bay View University and . . . — Map (db m97486) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — Light Houses of Grays Reef Passageas viewed from Cross Village, Michigan

Skillagalee Island Light Located 12 miles northwest of Cross Village. First established in 1850, the present Light was built in 1888. There are many shipwrecks near this island, in an area known as the "Graveyard of the Great . . . — Map (db m97851) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church

The Cross Village Presbyterian Church was first organized on February 19, 1888, and dedicated in October of 1890. In 1918, a fire that destroyed much of the town also consumed the church. The church was rebuilt in 1921 as the results of the . . . — Map (db m97854) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — S0352 — Andrew J. Blackbird House / Makade Binisii Wegamik

(Side A) Andrew J. Blackbird House Andrew J. Blackbird (c.1815 - 1908), an important figure in the history of the Odawa (Ottawa) tribe, was the son of a chief. Educated in the traditions of the Odawa, he also attended Euro-American . . . — Map (db m97594) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — L2165 — GR&I Railroad Depot

The Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad linked Harbor Springs to its main line in 1882, further opening the Little Traverse Bay area to resort and commercial development. Grand Rapids architect Sidney J. Osgood designed this depot, built in 1889, . . . — Map (db m97604) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — World Wars Memorial

In Memory Of Corp Leo M. Smith Killed in action at Soissons, France July 19, 1918 Stanley Hoover Killed in action Argonne Forest, France October 26, 1918 and in honor of the men of Harbor Springs who went forth at the . . . — Map (db m97788) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 7 — Carnegie Library BuildingHemingway's Michigan

When living in Petoskey in 1919, the library was a favorite haunt of Hemingway's and, in December, wearing his Italian cape and Red Cross uniform, he spoke here to the Ladies Aid Society about his World War I experiences. At that event he met . . . — Map (db m97891) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 2 — Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad StationHemingway's Michigan

This station, built in 1899, served as the region’s transportation hub. The Hemingway family passed through it often when going from Harbor Springs to their Walloon Lake cottage. Hemingway himself used the station when travelling north from his . . . — Map (db m97879) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 1 — Pere Marquette Railroad StationHemingway's Michigan

Built by the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad in 1892, this building later served as the Pere Marquette Railroad’s main station and Hemingway likely used it when traveling between Charlevoix and Petoskey. It became the Little Traverse History . . . — Map (db m97998) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Site of the 1899 Department of Michigan G.A.R. Encampment

This rare Confederate cannon marks the site of the 1889 Grand Army of the Republic Encampment

This cast iron Napoleon howitzer was manufactured at the Augusta, Georgia (CSA) Arsenal during the Civil War. Until its discovery, only the . . . — Map (db m97878) HM WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — USS Hartford Dahlgren Gun

This Dahlgren IX inch cannon was aboard the USS Hartford, Admiral David Farragut's flagship during the most vital naval battles of the Civil War. New Orleans, the South's largest and richest city, was captured by his fleet in 1862. For this . . . — Map (db m97915) HM WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — USS Hartford Dahlgren Gun

This gun is one of twenty six nine inch guns composing the battery of Admiral Farragut's historic-flagship "Hartford" during the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 at the battles of New Orleans, Vicksburg, Port Hudson, . . . — Map (db m97916) HM WM

Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Terrace Reconstruction Project
A recent building assessment revealed that Applewood's terrace needed major repairs. Because brick expands and concrete shrinks along with the changes in Michigan's weather, the mortar joints have loosened. This has caused cracking throughout the . . . — Map (db m142797) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — The Demonstration Garden
C.S. Mott established the farm and vegetable garden to be sure his family and guests could enjoy the benefits of healthy and tasty fresh food. As the children grew up and left home, the large vegetable gardens were no longer needed. Years later . . . — Map (db m142637) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — The Country School
When you lived in a rural area say before 1950, in most parts of the US, you didn't hop on the school bus and ride miles to your local town school. At first, in the early years your family had horses and a wagon to get around. Then later you had a . . . — Map (db m120860) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — The Truth Behind the Legend of Stormy Kromer
When they say "cold as heck," they're talking about this place, Kaukauna, Wisconsin. The birthplace of the Stormy Kromer Cap. It was here, in 1903, that George "Stormy" Kromer finally lost his cool. And his hat He was an engineer on the . . . — Map (db m77345) HM
Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission — The Old Mission Church

This building is a replica of the original mission church which was erected in 1839 by the Reverend Peter Dougherty, a Presbyterian missionary, who came here from Mackinaw to establish the first mission in this part of the country. Originally . . . — Map (db m98195) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — A Light at Old Mission

By the mid 1850's, shipping on Grand Traverse Bay had grown substantially. A Lighthouse on the northern tip of Old Mission Peninsula, to warn of the rocky point, was necessary. In 1859 Congress appropriated the funds, however the Light was not . . . — Map (db m98186) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — L2059 — Hesler Log House

(Side A) The Hesler house is a rare surviving log house dating from the early settlement of the Old Mission Peninsula. From 1854 to 1856, Joseph and Mary Hesler built the house of hand hewn pine and hemlock logs fourteen miles south of . . . — Map (db m98182) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — Oil House

When lighthouses first operated, sperm whale oil used to fuel the lamps was kept in the basement. However, in the late 1800s, when kerosene was introduced as fuel for the lights, it was much too flammable and dangerous to store in the . . . — Map (db m98185) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — Site of Lighthouse Privy

The bathroom of earlier days was not much like the bathrooms of today. With no indoor plumbing, most privies or outhouses were holes in the ground with sheds and seats over them and were located several feet from the main home. When the hole . . . — Map (db m98184) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — The Hessler Log Home

In 1854-1856 this log home was built in the southern part of the Old Mission Peninsula by early settlers, Mary & Joseph Hessler. The huge logs cut from pine trees were hand hewn and stacked on top of each other to form the walls, while modified . . . — Map (db m98193) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Civil War Memorial

The Civil War Soldier statue was purchased by public donations from the Chicago Bronze Company and dedicated at a public ceremony on Decoration Day, May 30, 1890. Over 300 Civil War Veterans were joined by 4,000 citizens at the unveiling at the . . . — Map (db m98272) HM WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — L1309 — Ladies Library Building

On July 28, 1869, eight Traverse City women organized the Ladies Library Association. In 1878 the association purchased its first building, at 205 East Front Street. In 1909 the association sold that building and retained Fred E. Moore as . . . — Map (db m98228) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — U.S.S. Sabine Parrott Rifle

This 6.4 inch 100 Pounder Parrot[t] Rifled Naval Cannon served on the U.S.S. Sabine during the Civil War. It is the only one from that ship that survives today. The cannon was cast in 1862 at the West Point Foundry (Registration #15 Foundry . . . — Map (db m98250) HM WM

Michigan (Huron County), Huron City — S0369 — Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse
The Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse and Lifesaving Station aided mariners for over a century, beginning in 1847. That year the United States Lighthouse Service built the first lighthouse on this site to mark the turning point of Lake Huron into . . . — Map (db m41201) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Judging Pavilion Site
This plaque marks the former site of the MSU Judging Pavilion, built in 1938 and replaced by the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education in 1997. For nearly 60 years, the Judging Pavilion was dedicated to the advancement of Michigan's . . . — Map (db m133795) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — North Lansing Brenke Fish LadderBuilt 1981
The North Lansing Brenke Fish Ladder, is the sixth in a series of fish ladders on the Grand River to allow trout and salmon to migrate 184 miles from Lake Michigan to the South Lansing (Moores park) Dam. It is part of a cooperative fish management . . . — Map (db m128348) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — The BridgeLinking a City
1842: The wooden bridge Though no records exist of Williamston's first bridge, there must have been bridges to move supplies and traffic between the mills and farms on the north side. One entering our Village from the north, . . . — Map (db m118899) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Double Dwelling
It is respectfully requested that the Board take under consideration the advisability of erecting a set of quarters at this station for the assistant keeper. Major Thomas Handbury Corps of Engineers to Light-House Board December 1899 . . . — Map (db m123996) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Oil House
”Put oil in new Oil House, cleaned same.” Lightkeeper Samuel Palmer, May 26, 1989 Fuel for the Tawas Point light was originally stored in an oil room in the keeper’s dwelling. During the 1870s the Lighthouse Service changed . . . — Map (db m123993) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Preserving the Light
The New Light Keepers The State of Michigan acquired Tawas Point Light from the U.S. Coast Guard in 2002. The light will be managed by the Department of Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation Division, and interpreted by the Department of . . . — Map (db m123997) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Tawas Lighthouse
The point is a “making point.” Annual Report, U.S. Lighthouse Board, 1873 Throughout its recorded history, blowing, drifting sand has constantly extended Tawas Point. This lighthouse was built in 1876 because the end of the . . . — Map (db m123999) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — L2294 — Tawas Point Light Station
(side 1) In 1850 the U.S. Lighthouse Service commissioned a light station to safely guide ships into Tawas Bay. The first light station was built in 1852 at the end of Tawas Point, then known as Ottawa Point. The prisms of its . . . — Map (db m124079) HM
Michigan (Leelanau County), Empire — 16 — Empire Methodist Church

The "Empire Methodist Church" - built in 1895. The Empire Area Methodists gathered here for services, Sunday school, weddings and funerals till their new church was built in 1963. It is now the Masonic Temple. — Map (db m98318) HM

Michigan (Leelanau County), Northport — 615 — Grand Traverse Lighthouse
Grand Traverse Lighthouse Built in 1858 — Map (db m76060) HM
Michigan (Leelanau County), Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore — Pierce Stocking1908-1976

Pierce Stocking, a native of northern Lower Michigan, worked as a lumberman and spent much of his leisure time in the woods. He wanted to share his love of nature with others and conceived the idea of constructing a scenic drive onto the . . . — Map (db m98312) HM

Michigan (Leelanau County), Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore — The Moving Dune

In 1985, this wooden beam was placed here at the edge of the sand dune to measure dune movement. The numbers on the beam show how many feet the dune has advanced. Try to figure out the average rate pf movement per year.

The dune here rises . . . — Map (db m98308) HM

Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — Greany Grove
From 1923 to 1970, William C. Greany, “the Major,” was scoutmaster of the Detroit Area Council Troop 194. In 1983 he was appointed Special Eagle Scout Administrator of Mackinac Island Scout Service Camp and for thirty years played a . . . — Map (db m107133) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — 3 — Mission Church
This is one of Michigan's oldest Protestant churches. It was built in 1829-30 by the Presbyterian flock of Rev. Wm. M. Ferry, founder in 1823 of a nearby Indian mission. Robert Stuart and Henry Schoolcraft were lay leaders. About 1838 private owners . . . — Map (db m34913) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — 107 — Round Island Lighthouse
The Round Island Lighthouse, seen south of this site, was completed in 1895. Operating under the auspices of the United States Government, this facility was in continuous use for fifty-two years. It was manned by a crew of three until its beacon was . . . — Map (db m35151) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — Scout Barracks / Parade Ground
Scout Barracks In 1929, Park Commissioner Roger Andrews invited eight Eagle Scouts, including future President Gerald Ford, to serve as the “Governor’s Honor Guard” and tour guides at Fort Mackinac. Scouts raised . . . — Map (db m107087) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mooring FacilitiesSt. Ignace Downtown History
The four large cylinder shaped structures that you see in place out in the bay are called "mooring dolphins". A dolphin is "a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore". These particular dolphins were . . . — Map (db m130123) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mooring FacilitiesSt. Ignace Downtown History
The four large cylinder shaped structures that you see in place out in the bay are called "mooring dolphins". A dolphin is "a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore". These particular dolphins . . . — Map (db m139691) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Murthum-Vander Vlucht House1895
This farm house was built in 1895. The architectural design is a combination of Greek Revival & Queen Anne (noted by the gables, dental moldings, fish scale shingles and fret work). The house originally sat 200 ft. E. from it's current . . . — Map (db m107289) HM
Michigan (Manistee County), Arcadia — S0662 — Harriet Quimby / Childhood Home

(Side A) Harriet Quimby Early aviatrix Harriet Quimby (1875-1912), was inspired to learn to fly when she covered the October 1910 Belmont Park international aviation meet for Leslie's Illustrated Weekly newspaper in New York. She . . . — Map (db m97460) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Arcadia — Restoring Arcadia Marsh and Fish Passage within Bowens Creek

Historic landscape changes within Bowens Creek watershed have severely altered and greatly reduced the quality of its stream and wetland habitats. These impacts are apparent from its unnamed tributaries downstream through Arcadia Marsh to . . . — Map (db m97462) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Arcadia — L2118 — Trinity Lutheran Church

In 1880 many Germans left Milwaukee and settled in Manistee County. Among them was lumberman Henry Starke, who vowed to return to Wisconsin if no Lutheran church could be found. Instead he helped to organize this congregation in 1881, and he . . . — Map (db m97463) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — L0253 — First Congregational Church

Willian Le Baron Jenney, eminent Chicago architect known as the "father of the skyscraper," designed this beautiful Romanesque church. Completed in 1892, it features vibrant stained glass windows, two of which are of Tiffany design. The soaring . . . — Map (db m97363) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — Furniture FactoriesHistoric Manistee, The Victorian Port City

It is a popular misconception that Nineteenth Century lumbermen believed the timber would last forever. In reality the exact opposite was true; every lumberman in Manistee could readily tell you the amount of timber he owned and the year it . . . — Map (db m97433) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — L1950 — Manistee City Library

In 1885 a group of Manistee Ladies formed the Lakeside Club, whose primary goal was to create a library. In 1902 the club joined forces with the local literary society and successfully campaigned for a public library. The Andrew Carnegie . . . — Map (db m97376) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — L0119 — Our Saviour's Lutheran Church

Organized as a Scandinavian congregation in 1868, Our Saviour's became a Danish church in 1875 and served the American Evangelical Lutheran Synod until 1962. First used for worship in 1869, the building escaped damage in the Fire of 1871 and . . . — Map (db m97378) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — U.S.S. MichiganHistoric Manistee, The Victorian Port City

An 1818 Treaty allows the United States and Canada to each maintain one warship of limited armament on the Great Lakes. For most of a century the U.S.S. MICHIGAN served as the U.S. warship.

The MICHIGAN was built on the frontier in 1843 at . . . — Map (db m97434) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Onekama — The Portage Lake RegionHistorical Marker

Following the fur traders into this region came a few adventurous lumbermen looking for saw-mill sites. Interested by what he saw in 1840, Joseph Stronach built a dam and water mill on the swift, natural outlet of Portage Lake.

Soon . . . — Map (db m97445) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — "The Abbie"A Great Lakes Schooner — By Tyson Snow, Ogden, Utah —

The "Abbie" was the last schooner built at the Ludington docks in 1886 for Rasmus Rasmussen. At 88 feet long, 22 feet wide, and with a 6 foot draft, this double-masted, 88-ton schooner was typical of those that sailed the Great Lakes. On most . . . — Map (db m98353) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — L1518 — Big Sable Point Lighthouse
(side 1) Called Grande Pointe au Sable by French explorers and traders, Big Sable Point was an important landmark for mariners traveling a treacherous stretch of Lake Michigan shoreline between Big Sable Point and present-day . . . — Map (db m41966) HM
Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — S0656 — S.S. Badger / Ludington Car Ferries

(Side A) S.S. Badger S.S. Badger is one of fourteen ships that served in the Ludington railroad car ferry fleet. Badger and its sister ship S.S. Spartan, were built in 1952 by the Christy Corporation of . . . — Map (db m97277) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Pere Marquette Township — Boy and Girl Under the Umbrella
For generations of Ludington residents, the statue of the "Boy and Girl Under the Umbrella" was the center piece of the City Park. The statue, made entirely of a cast metal, originally had been positioned on the front lawn of the James Foley . . . — Map (db m107090) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — Monroe Street Bridge
A covered toll bridge first spanned this section of the River Raisin in 1819. Destroyed by high water and ice in 1832, the bridge was replaced with a conventional wooden span, which lasted 30 years before being replaced in the late 1860’s. . . . — Map (db m72705) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L0647 — Camp Lunden
In June 1933 two hundred unmarried, able-bodied men between the ages of seventeen and twenty-three, members of the Civilian Conservation Corps, set up camp on Hunt Creek. Soon after, they relocated to this site, which they named Camp Lunden. In 1936 . . . — Map (db m33293) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — 58 — Hackley House
side 1 This three-story wood frame building is one of Michigan’s most splendid examples of Queen Anne architecture. With juxtaposition of masses created by roof lines, chimneys, tower and porte-cochere it has become a symbol of . . . — Map (db m107242) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — 144 — Hume House
side 1 Built in 1887 – 1889, this massive Queen Anne style house served the Thomas Hume family through four generations. This architect for this, as well as the Hackley house, was David S. Hopkins of Grand Rapids. The . . . — Map (db m107251) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — Muskegon Fishing ReefConstructed September 1980
. . . — Map (db m119656) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — 601 — Union Depot
The Union Depot opened in 1895 to serve the Chicago & West Michigan Railway; the Muskegon, Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad; and the Toledo, Saginaw & Muskegon Railroad. A.W. Rush and Son of Grand Rapids designed the Richardson Romanesque . . . — Map (db m107240) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — "The Stuart Little Pond"
In the spring of 1953, Eleanor Olney Spicer age 12 was walking her dog, a toy Manchester terrier named Stuart Little, after the children's book, Stuart Little by E.B. White. Suddenly Stuart noticed a small animal and chased it into a drainpipe and . . . — Map (db m46697) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — This is the Site of the Holly Milling Co.1845-1910 — A Look Back At What Once Was —
Beginnings of a Settlement Settlers were attracted to the southern end of Holly because of the Shiawassee River. In the early 1820's, Ira C. Alger arrived to establish the first settlement. In 1843, Alger dammed the river at the border of . . . — Map (db m142293) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — A Ford Village IndustryAlong Pettibone Creek
This landmark building commands attention as the Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station. It was built in 1938-39 to harness the precious power of water for Ford's Carburetor Plant, now gone. It remains as a reminder of Milford's "village . . . — Map (db m125348) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Milford's Water Works Building
Preserved here is the name stone from Milford's Water Works Building. The building stood near this site from 1895 until 1996. Here at the Water Works was a coal-fired boiler and steam-driven pumps that provided Milford its first pressurized water . . . — Map (db m125271) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric StationRestoration — 2001-2007 —
The Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station was designed by renowned architect Albert Kahn and built by Henry Ford in 1939. Over time the station became known as "The Ford Powerhouse." Decommissioned in 1953 and in declining condition, the iconic . . . — Map (db m125362) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Pettibone Grist Mill 1846Hebbard & Davis Woolen Mill 1850 Tower & Tenny Woodworking Mill 1854 Henry Ford I Mill 1938
The upper mill pond was created in 1846 by damming Pettibone Creek. A mill race entered the pond beneath the road and powered the woolen and woodworking mills. The race for the grist mill left the pond near the dam at the south end of the pond. . . . — Map (db m125366) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery
Circa 1836, Aaron Phelps, Milford’s first postmaster and the man who platted north Milford, built a saw mill and a distillery here, at the foot of the lower mill pond. The distillery became a carding mill in 1848, but the other mill, used for . . . — Map (db m79683) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — L2321 — Paint Creek Cider Mill
Side 1 Needham Hemingway built the first mill at this site in 1835, harnessing water power from the Paint Creek millrace. William Goodison purchased the gristmill in 1866. The surrounding community took his name and became a railroad stop . . . — Map (db m142167) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — L2015 — Paint Creek Millrace
Paint Creek begins in a Brandon Township wetland and flows southeast to Rochester where it empties into the Clinton River. Today a thriving trout stream, the creek was important for waterpower during the nineteenth century. Needham Hemingway dammed . . . — Map (db m137897) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — Detroit United Railway and Car Barn
An interurban railway was brought to town by the Detroit, Rochester, Romeo, and Lake Orion Railway (DRR&LO) in 1899. Its powerhouse, located next to Paint Creek, used steam generators to produce electrical power for the entire Flint Division . . . — Map (db m101924) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — Warming House Renovationin commemoration of Roy Rewold — January 30, 1929 - October 2, 2013 —
Roy was born in a corner house on Woodward and Pine Street in Rochester to Frank and Martha Rewold. Raised on Ludlow Street, Avon Park became Roy's backyard; swimming in the creek in the summer and skating on the pond in the winter. Beginning . . . — Map (db m118610) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 96 — Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal
This canal, conceived at the peak of the era of canal-building, was part of Michigan's internal improvements program which was announced in 1837. The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal would make it possible to cross southern Michigan by boat from Lake St. . . . — Map (db m118904) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — L2280 — Yates Cider Mill
Side 1 In 1863, William (1820-1911) and Caroline (1833-1892) Yates moved from New York to Michigan and purchased 80 acres of land. Using an existing dam on the Clinton River, they opened a water-powered lumber mill. The business soon grew . . . — Map (db m118906) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — S164 — Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House
Saginaw Trail The Saginaw Trail, running from Detroit to Saginaw through Pontiac and Flint, was originally an Indian trail. In 1816 Michigan territorial government authorized the building of a road from Detroit to Saginaw along the trail. Part . . . — Map (db m33001) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Genevieve Gilletteand the Treasures of Nature
Michigan state parks welcomed the newly-mobile drivers of automobiles in the early 1900s. Genevieve Gillette made it her life's work to preserve precious natural settings and make them available to the travelling public. In 1920 she began . . . — Map (db m99055) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Mears — L2243 — Petite Pointe Au Sable Lighthouse
Side 1 Here the Petite Pointe Au Sable (little point of sand) juts into Lake Michigan. Increased shipping on the lake started after the Civil War, largely due to the expanding lumber industry. Consequently, this isolated point became the . . . — Map (db m107009) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — White Elephant
1891 — Mr. G. A. Williams of Chicago submitted to the people of Pentwater a proposal to build a summer Resort hotel costing $75,000 and $10,000 for furnishing it. In return, the Village would donate the site and give $15,000 towards it. It . . . — Map (db m107215) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — L0394 — Holland Harbor Lighthouse / Holland Harbor
(side 1) Holland Harbor Lighthouse The first lighthouse built at this location was a small, square wooden structure erected in 1872. In 1880 the lighthouse service installed a new light atop a metal pole in a protective cage. The oil . . . — Map (db m41967) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Zeeland — 2217 — Veneklasen Brick Company / Veneklasen Brick
Veneklasen Brick Company In 1848 Jan Veneklasen and his family emigrated from the Netherlands to Zeeland, in Michigan’s Dutch Kolonie. A brickmaker by trade, Veneklasen founded a brickyard within a year of his arrival – one . . . — Map (db m111806) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L1890 — John Kauffman / John Kauffman House
side 1: John Kauffman In 1858, German immigrant John C. Kauffman (1833-1913) left Buffalo bound for Chicago aboard a ship that later ran aground near Bell Bay. John walked ashore and made his way to Burnham’s Landing at Presque Isle . . . — Map (db m120786) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L39 — Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
Presque Isle Harbor is one of Lake Huron's safest harbors of refuge. Its name comes from this peninsula which, translating from the French, is "almost and island." Indians and Frenchmen portaged across the peninsula to avoid several miles of open . . . — Map (db m40149) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L2176 — Presque Isle Front Range Light
In 1869 the U.S. Congress appropriated $7,500 to build two range lights marking the channel into Presque Isle Harbor. Orlando M. Poe submitted plans in May 1870, and by August the range lights were in operation as seafarers aligned the lights to . . . — Map (db m120784) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — 1563 — Presque Isle Light Station
This lighthouse, built in 1870 by Orlando M. Poe, is one of three Great Lakes towers built from the same plans. It replaced the smaller 1840 harbor light. The conical brick tower rises 113 feet from a limestone foundation. The Third Order Fresnel . . . — Map (db m40062) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — SS Calcite1912
The Calcite Pilot House was saved and retired to Rogers City where it was installed as a tourist attraction at Harbor View overlooking the Calcite Plant. Over the years, she was visited by thousands of people. Eventually, the Pilot House was . . . — Map (db m122335) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — The Bunkhouse
This structure was the first to be built in 1896. It was used to house the laborers that erected the lighthouse. After the house was complete, it was used by the workers that were contracted to do maintenance work such as boiler inspection, etc. . . . — Map (db m122171) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — St. Clair River Habitat RestorationMarine City Drain Habitat Restoration
The St. Clair River is part of the connecting channels between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. It is a 40 mile strait that flows south from Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair. The river serves as a navigational passage as well as an ecosystem for a great . . . — Map (db m124058) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — St. Clair River Habitat RestorationCottrellville Township Shoreline
The St. Clair River is part of the connecting channels between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. It is a 40 mile strait that flows south from Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair. The river serves as a navigational passage as well as an ecosystem for a great . . . — Map (db m124059) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Fort Gratiot — L2219 — Lake Huron Water Supply Project/Tunnel Explosion
Lake Huron Water Supply Project In 1968, to serve the water needs of a growing population, the Detroit Metro Water Department began work on the Lake Huron Water Supply Project. This massive feat involved erecting a submerged intake crib . . . — Map (db m88947) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — Pêche Island Rear Range Lightc. 1905 - decommissioned 1982
This range light was originally located in American Waters, east of the mouth of the Detroit River, just north of the international border and north east of Pêche Island, Ontario, Canada It was brought to Marine City in 1982 through the . . . — Map (db m123840) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — All Aboard!
This is the Fort Gratiot Station. It welcomed immigrants, settlers, military and other travelers to Port Huron during the late 19th century. The Grand Trunk Railway built this depot in 1858 and launched daily passenger service to Detroit the . . . — Map (db m76020) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Bridging the Blue Waters
People first crossed the St. Clair River using logs, rafts and canoes. Steam-powered ferries began carrying freight and people in the 1840s. The river current pushed tethered swing ferries from shore to shore. Later other ferries were used, and . . . — Map (db m76014) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Edison Homesite
Thomas Alva Edison was seven years old in 1854 when he and his family moved to Port Huron. They moved into a house on the Fort Gratiot Military Reservation, a short distance south of here. This is where young "Al" conducted his first experiments . . . — Map (db m76049) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Fort Gratiot Light
In 1825, A lighthouse was established near the mouth of the St. Clair River, at the southern end of Lake Huron. It sat just north of Fort Gratiot, a military outpost that would give the lighthouse its name. That light, of poor construction and . . . — Map (db m76077) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Great Storm of 1913 and Sailors Memorial
[Side A] On November 7-10, 1913, two major storms collided over the Great Lakes. This created hurricane like winds that lasted over 16 hours, producing waves over forty feet tall. As the storm intensified, temperatures dropped below . . . — Map (db m76068) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Keepers Duties
Daily Duties of a Keeper...... • Hand carry fuel up to the lantern room and fueling the lamp. • Trimming the wicks (later, replacing the mantles and pumping up the oil vaporizer). • Regularly cleaning and polishing (with jeweler's . . . — Map (db m76100) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Making Tracks
The Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada opened the first track between here and Detroit in 1859. As years passed, other railroads reached Port Huron. A line to Flint opened in 1871. Another extended into the Thumb in 1879. In 1886, the Port . . . — Map (db m76046) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — 2160 — Port Huron Public Library
In 1902 the city of Port Huron secured money from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to erect a municipal library. Two years later, this grand, Beaux-Arts-style building was completed at a cost of $45,000. Chicago architects Patton and Miller . . . — Map (db m76105) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Seeing the Light
Evolution of Lighting the Way It has long been documented that the first shoreline lights were wood burning fires set on hillsides. Later, these wood fires were moved to the top of man-made towers. Wood however proved to be inefficient, as . . . — Map (db m76076) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Sending a Signal
Dense fog on Lake Huron could spell disaster to vessels filled with passengers and valuable cargo. When fog was present and visibility was poor, mariners were forced to rely on sound to navigate their way into the St. Clair River. Early fog . . . — Map (db m76083) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Ships on the St. Clair
The St. Clair River has always been an important part of the Great Lakes system. For centuries native people traveled throughout the region in canoes, as did the early French fur traders. In 1679, LaSalle's Griffon was the first sailing . . . — Map (db m76015) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Thomas Alva Edison
[Bas relief panels highlight significant events in Edison's life, including] Edison the railroad entrepreneur Edison the young scientist Edison inventions — Map (db m76067) HM
Michigan (Schoolcraft County), Gulliver — Seul Choix Point LightBuilt 1892-1895
This harbor of refuge, named by the French and translated "Only Choice," is one of only a few along this shore of Lake Michigan. Located at 45º 55' 22" north latitude and 85º 54' 45" west longitude, the tower rises 78 feet-9 inches high and is . . . — Map (db m41970) HM
Michigan (Schoolcraft County), Thompson — Schoolcraft CountyMore to See
(1) Manistique Light and Boardwalk The East Breakwater Light , built in 1916, is 35 feet tall and stands at the harbor entrance of the Manistique River. Soon to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Light . . . — Map (db m105477) HM
Michigan (Shiawassee County), Durand — Sandula Clock Tower
This clock was built in the early 1950's by John Sandula at the age of 76. John Sandula copied the clock housing and works from his memory of a 156 year old Hungarian Cathedral Clock. It only differs from it's European counterpart by the figures . . . — Map (db m119378) HM
Michigan (Shiawassee County), Owosso — L773 — Comstock Cabin
Elias Comstock was the first pioneer to erect a permanent residence in Owosso. He moved here in 1836. Comstock was a merchant, school teacher, justice of the peace, township supervisor, judge and county clerk. This one-room structure was built for . . . — Map (db m119456) HM
Michigan (Shiawassee County), Owosso — L1419 — Herman C. Frieseke House / Frederick Carl Frieske
Herman C. Frieseke House Herman Frieseke built this house in 1872. The bricks used were from the tile and brick factory that he and his brother, Julius, had opened in 1865 beside the tracks of the Detroit, Grand Haven and Milwaukee . . . — Map (db m119492) HM
Michigan (Shiawassee County), Owosso — Judge Elias Comstock
This log house was built by Judge Elias Comstock May 1836 Purchased by the D.A.R. and given to the city of Owosso for its perpetuation July 29, 1920 Here six Baptists formed the first church organization in Owosso — January . . . — Map (db m119532) HM
Michigan (Van Buren County), South Haven — Birth of City Utilities
The City of South Haven took a major step forward in providing utility services to residents in 1892 when a water pumping station was constructed on the lakeshore. In 1895, the City purchased its first electric generator. The original water . . . — Map (db m119261) HM
Michigan (Van Buren County), South Haven — History of the Channel Piers
In 1861, the first piers appeared on the north and south side of the entrance to the Black River. The channel between the piers was dredged to allow access to larger ships. In 1867, the piers were extended and the channel was widened which . . . — Map (db m119260) HM
Michigan (Van Buren County), South Haven — South Haven Lighthouse
The first light was erected in 1873 at the end of a 225 foot wooden pier that had been in use since 1861. The square pyramid wooden structure consisted of two rooms mounted on a raised platform. The bottom room was for oil storage, the top room . . . — Map (db m119263) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — Allen Creek Valley Shapes the Town
Residents living on the west side in the 1870s drove their buggies or walked across the bridge over Allen Creek, climbing the Liberty Street hill to join the celebration of German American Day. In the distance you can see the rooftops of their homes . . . — Map (db m94376) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — The 19th-Century Neighborhood
Most of the 19th-century homes and churches built between downtown (upper left) and UM campus (lower right) have been lost to 20th-century commercial expansion. In what was once a neighborhood of quiet, unpaved tree-lined streets, residents could . . . — Map (db m125566) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 20 — The Central Forty and The Diag
In 1837, the University of Michigan was relocated from Detroit to Ann Arbor where the Ann Arbor Land Company had donated forty acres of land for the site of the university. This original forty acre campus was the area of Central Campus bounded by . . . — Map (db m140415) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — History of Mill Creek Dam
The dam was originally built by Judge Samuel Dexter in 1824. Mill Creek got its name because the dam provided hydropower for the sawmills and gristmills that supplied much of the timber and flour for the growing community within the village and . . . — Map (db m142459) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — L110 — Hudson Mills
This hamlet developed around the mills which were located here to utilize the great water power of the Huron River. Cornelius Osterhout built a sawmill here about 1827, followed in 1846 by a gristmill in which three men produced six thousand barrels . . . — Map (db m142354) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — L1137 — Prospect Park
In 1842 this site became Ypsilanti's second cemetery, and at one time approximately 250 people were buried here. However, when Highland Cemetery opened in 1864, the use of this site began to decline. Inspired by a nationwide parks movement, in 1891 . . . — Map (db m101206) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — In Honor of Friendship
In 1916, the famed naturalist and writer John Burroughs, along with Henry Ford, laid the cornerstone of the Jens Jensen-designed grotto (an artificial recess or structure made to resemble a natural cave). Rocks were brought from the upstate New . . . — Map (db m146137) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Nature vs. Nurture
In 1926, a 2.5-acre rose garden was designed for this meadow, with the help of landscape architect Herbert Kellaway and rosarian Harriet Foote. Once completed, the garden contained approximately 10,000 rose plants of 400 varieties and cost more than . . . — Map (db m98927) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Planning for Peoplein the Ford Homes Historic Neighborhood
This distinctive neighborhood was born in 1919 and 1920. In those years, Henry Ford built 156 homes for sale to his Dearborn Fordson Tractor Plant employees. The two-story, three- and four-bedroom homes were built with the most current . . . — Map (db m120397) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — Newburgh Milland the Power of the Rouge
The Newburgh Mill factory was built on the site of an earlier mill, like other Ford "Village Industries." Bovee Cider Mill used to operate here along the Middle Rouge River, within the thriving village of Newburgh. In 1934, Newburgh Lake . . . — Map (db m137131) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Coan Lake
Coan Lake was constructed in the fall of 1988. The lake is 3 acres, with a depth of nine to eighteen feet. The property the lake sits on was once known as the Schoncheck Farm. Stocked with a variety of fish, it provides a passive setting for a . . . — Map (db m94796) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Van Buren Township — L998 — French Landing Dam and Powerhouse
In 1910 the Eastern Michigan Edison Company, now the Detroit Edison Company, purchased most of the Van Buren Township land along the Huron River for a hydroelectric plant. The French Landing powerhouse and dam were completed in 1924-25. The dam, the . . . — Map (db m98899) HM

174 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020