Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Waterways & Vessels Historical Markers

252 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 52
 
Lake Superior Marker with Lake Superior in background image, Touch for more information
By Kenneth Dahl, July 30, 2015
Lake Superior Marker with Lake Superior in background
Michigan (Alger County), Au Train — S0121 — Lake Superior
Le lac supérieur the French called it, meaning only that geographically it lay above Lake Huron. In size, however, Lake Superior stands above all other freshwater lakes in the world. The intrepid Frenchman Brulé discovered it . . . — Map (db m41968) HM
Michigan (Alger County), Munising — Munising Public Dock
With the discovery of iron ore in Marquette County in 1844 and the opening of the Sault Locks in 1855, commerce and travel boomed on Lake Superior. Munising served not only as a port, but also as a harbor of refuge during storms. The first Munising . . . — Map (db m143346) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — Welcome to Allegan — "Steamboat Alley"
"MEET ME AT COOK PARK, ALLEGAN, MICHIGAN" The steamer Mildred carried passengers to and from Cook Park until about the time of W.W.I. The park was located at Cady's Grove, about three miles upriver from the dock behind the bank in Allegan, . . . — Map (db m69899) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1628 — Pier Cove
Surveyed in 1839, the village of Pier Cove was once hailed as "the busiest port between St. Joseph and Muskegon." Before the Civil War, Pier Cove was a bustling community and a major point for lumber distribution, with ships departing daily carrying . . . — Map (db m73498) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — Welcome to Historic Douglas
On its winding path to Lake Michigan, the Kalamazoo River separates the land of Saugatuck and Douglas. While the north bank pioneer settlements of Saugatuck and Singapore got their start in the 1830's, it was not until the 1850's that the opposite . . . — Map (db m73643) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Welcome to Pine Creek — Here Sat the Community of Pine Creek
Settled in 1831 by the Hull Sherwood and Giles Scott families of Rochester, New York, the Pine Creek area was first called “New Rochester.” Allegan County’s first grist mill was constructed here in 1834, attracting customers from miles . . . — Map (db m74596) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — Welcome to River Bluff Park — Historic Saugatuck Township
You are near the center of Historic Saugatuck Township in River Bluff Park. The first settlers came here to a howling wilderness in the early 1830's. Within the township, Saugatuck is a half-mile to the west on the Old Allegan Road. Across the river . . . — Map (db m73604) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — A Shipbuilding Revolution
Shipbuilding forever changed with the transition from wooden hulls to those built of iron and steel. The first iron-hulled freighter on the Great Lakes, the Onoko, debuted in 1881. At 287 feet long, she was a giant of her day. Just five years . . . — Map (db m122196) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Bigger, Stronger, Faster
At the time of the U.S. Civil War, thousands of sailing ships worked the Great Lakes. Despite their impressive numbers, these sailing vessels struggled hardly able to keep pace with the enormous demands for bulk cargos generated by America's . . . — Map (db m122215) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Fast Steel Flyer: The Bulk Freighter Grecian
Launched in 1891, the Grecian symbolizes an era of unprecedented industrial growth and dramatic changes in technology. Newspapers heralded the steamer and her five sister ships as “fast steel flyers.” A marvel of efficiency at . . . — Map (db m126625) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Harbor Tug Ralph
In 1874, the 60-foot wooden harbor tug E.H. Miller began a 45-year career operating out of Alpena, escorting vessels on the Thunder Bay River and assisting those in distress. The tug was not without her own share of mishaps. In her first . . . — Map (db m122200) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — International Shipmaster's Association
The maritime professionals who sail the ships on the Great Lakes are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their fraternal organization, the I. M. S. A. whose purpose is stated in the Association's constitution, "The purpose of this association's . . . — Map (db m121889) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Propellers
The screw steamer or "propeller" first appeared on the Great Lakes in the 1840s. These vessels featured wooden hulls and shallow bottoms like early sidewheelers, but their steam engines powered one or more screw propellers at the stern of the ship . . . — Map (db m121898) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Research Vessels
For centuries explorers and scientists have researched the Great Lakes. As a vital transportation link to the Midwest and one of the largest sources of fresh water on the planet. Such important resources warranted scientific, charting and survey . . . — Map (db m122199) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Rising from the Ashes: The New Orleans
Life on the frontier Great Lakes was dangerous when the sidewheeler Vermilion went into service in 1838. In 1842, the 151-foot steamer burned to the waterline, killing several people. A year later, with immigration booming and the economy . . . — Map (db m122429) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Squeezing The Profit Margin
Sailing ships first appeared on the Great Lakes when French explorer Rene Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle built the Griffon in 1679. By 1870, over two thousand sailing ships plied the Great Lakes. Most of these sailing ships were . . . — Map (db m122194) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Steaming Open the Frontier
Steam power first appeared on the Great Lakes in 1818. The earliest "steamers" were expensive to build and operate. Constructed of wood, the vessels had shallow bottoms and were powered by large sidewheels. For a time, these "sidewheelers" . . . — Map (db m121957) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Fletcher Coal Piers
In November of 1856, George N. Fletcher assisted a survey crew in laying the footprint for the city of Alpena. Appreciative of the area's dense forest and the Thunder Bay River's ability to help transport raw materials, finished products, and fuel, . . . — Map (db m122228) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Loss of the Pewabic — Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Trail
The Civil War created an insatiable demand for copper. At a time when Michigan's Upper Peninsula produced the majority of America's supply, vessels like the Pewabic played a critical role in the war effort. On a typical trip between lakes . . . — Map (db m121896) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Third Ward — Alpena's "North" Side
Located across the river from where you are standing is an area known historically as Alpena's Third Ward. The first dwellings there were erected in 1858 or '59 at the river's edge, while the majority of the land remained woods and swampland. The . . . — Map (db m121894) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Ties That Bind — Alpena’s Second Avenue Bridge
From the time of Alpena's inception it was divided by the Thunder Bay River, although most of the community was centered on the south side. A wooden scow served as a ferry, connecting Second Avenue on the south side with Dock Street on the north; it . . . — Map (db m121890) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Thunder Bay Fishing Industry
The first known fishing camp near Alpena was established on Thunder Bay Island in 1835. By the 1840s, both Thunder Bay Island and nearby Sugar Island served as a base for the area's fishing fleet, comprised entirely of sailing vessels. In 1846, . . . — Map (db m121897) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Thunder Bay River Lumber Industry
From 1858 to 1926, Thunder Bay served as a major center of the Great Lakes lumber trade. Schooners and steamers shipped lumber around the Great Lakes and to eastern cities. Beginning in 1845, Thunder Bay Island also served as a "wooding," or fueling . . . — Map (db m121895) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Tragedy in the Mist: The Schooner E.B. Allen
Like other "canallers," the schooner E.B. Allen squeezed through the canals and locks of the Great Lakes. Crews tried to maximize the payload, and thus profits, using every inch of cargo space. The heavy traffic of thousands of sail and . . . — Map (db m122198) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Treaty of Saginaw
“By the Treaty of Saginaw, made at Saginaw [Saquina] September 24, 1819, by General Lewis Cass, Governor of the Northwest Territory, on the part of the United States, and the Chippewa Nations, Thunder Bay River became a part of the boundary of . . . — Map (db m121893) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Winter Layups — The fleet during its “down time”
Shipping on the Great Lakes has always been seasonal. The poor visibility, heavy seas and ice that came each year with the gales of November prompted ship owners and captains in the 1800s to "lay up" their ships. Every winter ice choked docks and . . . — Map (db m121892) HM
Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Because of the Water...
Before America was discovered, indigenous people hunted and fished the Grand Traverse region for thousands of years. As far back as 8,000 B.C., the waters of Grand Traverse Bay, Elk River and the 14 lakes of Antrim County's Chain of Lakes had been . . . — Map (db m98175) HM
Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Early Elk Rapids and the Elk River

In this photo you are standing on the other side of the Elk River and to the left side of the photograph. This picture of Elk Rapids is from the 1890s and the view is from the top of the Elk Rapids Iron Company's Furnace. What is left of . . . — Map (db m98173) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk Rapids

In 1856 Dexter and Noble Company began building an empire with their sawmill and mercantile business. In 1872 they built an iron smelting plant, one of the largest charcoal furnaces in the country. At each step of their building that . . . — Map (db m98125) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk River, Entry to the Chain of Lakes of Antrim County

As shown in the above photograph taken in c1910, the Elk River and Chain of Lakes provided a means of transporting logs to the Dexter & Noble sawmill and a shoreline site where cord wood was made into charcoal fuel for the iron furnace. . . . — Map (db m98151) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Why All of the Stumps?

It has often been asked, "Why the stumps in the river?"

In a way, the stumps tell the story of Elk Rapids. In the beginning the trees grew there while the land was still dry. As one can see in the photograph of the blast furnace, which was . . . — Map (db m98135) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Beulah — Crystal Lake
In 1873 an ambitious but ill-advised project was put through in an effort to connect Crystal Lake and Lake Michigan with a navigable channel. The original level of Crystal Lake was, at that time, much higher than its present level. The project was a . . . — Map (db m97481) HM
Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Fog Signal Building

On December 12, 1891, the Lighthouse Board issued a "Notice to Mariners" informing them that a long sought steam-powered fog signal, featuring two 10-inch whistles similar to those then used on locomotives, had been installed at Point Betsie. . . . — Map (db m98327) HM

Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Boatbuilding Industry
St. Joseph and Benton Harbor once ranked among the nation's leading boatbuilding centers. From 1892 to 1955, waterfront facilities of the Truscott Boat Manufacturing Company, Dachel-Carter Shipbuilding Corporation, and Robinson Marine Construction . . . — Map (db m68202) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Commercial Fishing
Commercial fishing was one of St. Joseph's earliest maritime trades. Native Americans and the settlers who followed found the river and lake full of trout, whitefish, sturgeon, and perch. By the 1900s, family-run fisheries became major contributors . . . — Map (db m68224) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Commercial Shipping
Schooners rigged for sailing and steam-driven freighters were once common sights at St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. Fruit, lumber, and manufactured goods made up much of the port's early trade. By the 1870s, vessels were regularly carrying thousands . . . — Map (db m68217) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Creating a Harbor
The meeting of river and lake provided a natural setting for a harbor at St. Joseph. Human engineering would ultimately develop the port into one of the busiest on Lake Michigan. In the 1830s, at the urging of local merchants, the U.S. Corps of . . . — Map (db m68195) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Lighthouses on the Bluff
The Great Lakes region is one of the nation's most important centers of maritime commerce. Lighthouses helped mariners navigate these vast inland seas. In 1832, the U.S. Government built the first lights on Lake Michigan at two of its busiest . . . — Map (db m68176) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Lighthouses on the Pier
The north pier lighthouses, built in 1907, guide ships to this port. The inner light replaced a smaller, wooden lighthouse in use since 1847. The north pier was then extended and the outer light tower was added, allowing mariners to find the harbor . . . — Map (db m68152) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Recreational Boating
Whether paddling a canoe, riding a riverboat, or sailing a yacht, pleasure boating has always been a favorite St. Joseph activity. Recreational boating has remained popular due to well-stocked fishing grounds and accessible private and city marinas. . . . — Map (db m68216) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Shipbuilding in the Twin Cities
With a ready supply of lumber and a thriving port, St. Joseph and Benton Harbor offered a natural setting for shipbuilding. As early as the 1830s, sailing and steam-powered vessels were built here for lake and river navigation. Shipbuilders . . . — Map (db m68204) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — St. Joseph Maritime Heritage
Two historic waterways, Lake Michigan and the St. Joseph River, meet here. Opportunities for maritime trade, transportation, industry and recreation led to the founding of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. Explore the Maritime Heritage Trail and . . . — Map (db m68151) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — St. Joseph Maritime Heritage
Two historic waterways, Lake Michigan and the St. Joseph River, meet here. Opportunities for maritime trade, transportation, industry and recreation led to the founding of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. Explore the Maritime Heritage Trail and . . . — Map (db m68203) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — U.S. Lighthouse Supply Depot
A U.S. lighthouse supply depot was built at St. Joseph in 1893. For a quarter century, this depot equipped all of Lake Michigan's lights with materials ranging from lenses to lamp oil. Operations of the St. Joseph Depot were transferred to Milwaukee . . . — Map (db m68218) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — United States Life Saving Service
The waters off St. Joseph and Benton Harbor have long served as an active and frequently dangerous avenue of maritime trade. High winds and hazardous waves made shipwrecks a common occurrence. To assist mariners, a U.S. Life Saving Service . . . — Map (db m68194) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Three Oaks — S0239 — The Dewey Cannon
This cannon, captured in the Spanish-American War by Admiral Dewey, was presented to Three Oaks when its citizens raised $1,400 for a memorial to the men of the battleship Maine. This was the largest contribution, per capita, of any community in the . . . — Map (db m1603) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Sherwood — 28 — Riley Dam & Trail End — Union City Heritage Water Trail
George Ackerman, as a UCHS student, noted this spot on the river as a possible location for a dam. He went on to become a civil engineer. Around 1919, rising coal costs forced the village to turn toward hydro and they sought out Ackerman’s Chicago . . . — Map (db m95654) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 27 — "Municipal Pond" Becomes Union Lake
In 1923, when the Riley Dam was built in the St. Joe to create hydro for the village, the 500+ acre backwater was known only as the “Municipal Pond.” There had not been enough time to clear the swampy land before damming, so trees were . . . — Map (db m95243) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 7 — "Union" of the Rivers — Union City Heritage Water Trail
At this point the Coldwater and St. Joe Rivers join, creating their namesake “Union” City. In the late 1820s a road surveying party following the Washtenaw Indian Trail that later became M-60 stumbled upon this junction and returned . . . — Map (db m95217) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 4 — Coldwater River & Bridge — Union City Heritage Water Trail
The first wooden bridge was built across the Coldwater River in 1843 with a steel bridge erected about 1895. The current bridge was constructed in the late 1950s. The Coldwater River starts from Coldwater Lake and meanders northwest 29.5 miles . . . — Map (db m95164) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 23 — Elkhorn Lodge: Home of "Skinny" Bullock
Union City's own “Daniel Boone,” Austin “Skinny” Bullock (1908-77), moved into this, his beloved Elkhorn Lodge, on the first day of summer in 1952. He was a colorful local legend who loved to hunt, trap and fish, earning . . . — Map (db m95241) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 22 — Gerald Davison's Hilltop House
1926 UCHS graduate and creative entrepreneur, Gerald Davison (1908-75) was the founder of Duo Coach Trailer(Marker #12). Upon selling that enterprise, he designed and built many unique Frank Lloyd Wright style homes in Union City and on Sycamore . . . — Map (db m95240) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 21 — Head of St. Joe Navigation — Union City Heritage Water Trail
In the 1800s, Union City was the head to 170 miles of busy commerce on the St. Joe. Large freight barges poled by 8 men as well as steamers carried grain, pork, whiskey, flour, hides, furs, pig iron and other goods manufactured along its banks . . . — Map (db m95227) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 3 — Randall Dam & Start of Millrace — Union City Heritage Water Trail
Early surveying parties sent out on the Washtenaw trail, which became M-60, took back glowing accounts of the potential for water power at the junction of the two rivers and this quick stretch named the Coldwater Rapids. The first race was . . . — Map (db m95207) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 26 — The Arbogast Bridge — Union City Heritage Water Trail
The Arbogast Bridge is considered the east end of Union Lake. The wetlands surrounding the bridge are significant habitat to many types of birds and waterfowl. Keep your eye peeled for swans, sandhill cranes, loons, cormorants, heron, egrets, geese, . . . — Map (db m95400) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 11 — The Broadway Bridge — Union City Heritage Water Trail
The first Broadway Bridge was constructed of wood in 1835. It was replaced with a steel structure in 1876. One of the largest bridges in Branch Co., it was washed out in the flood of 1908. Many locals who had been observing the floodwaters below . . . — Map (db m95220) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 15 — The Flood of 1908 & Broadway Bridge "Island" — Union City Heritage Water Trail
On March 4,1908, heavy rains on top of 24” of snow followed by a thaw caused the rivers to spill over 4” above their highest known levels, submerging large sections of the village. The Broadway Bridge collapsed into the swollen river and . . . — Map (db m95156) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 19 — The Park Street "Spencer" Bridge — Union City Heritage Water Trail
The Park Street Bridge was the second bridge built in Union City and originally wooden. The first steel span was erected in 1905. It was removed and replaced in 1974 with a new bridge at the cost of $141,000. The new bridge was renamed the Spencer . . . — Map (db m95225) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 8 — The St. Joe Tavern & The Bucket — Union City Heritage Water Trail
In 1833 just behind this home a livery was first deeded to feed and stable local horses. In 1913 it was known as Bell Livery Stable. In 1937, Mr. Densmore converted the livery to The St. Joe Tavern after moving the bar business from the Riverside . . . — Map (db m95397) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 17 — Union City Milling and Mill Race Outlet — Union City Heritage Water Trail
The small backwater to the left represents the exit of the millrace that was dug diagonally from the Coldwater River and powered saw and grist mills from the first settler in 1834 to 1949 when the 111 year old Randall Mill (below) caught fire. Six . . . — Map (db m95223) HM
Michigan (Charlevoix County), Big Rock Point — S0701 — Big Rock Point / Nuclear Power Plant

(Side A) Big Rock Point Big Rock Point is named for a large boulder used as a landmark by Native Americans. At least as early as the mid-nineteenth century Odawa (Ottawa) Indians used Big Rock, which they called Kitcheossening, . . . — Map (db m97483) HM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — Benjamin S. Gill, EMC USN — 4/20/17 - 2/24/90 — In Memory Of Our Valued Shipmate —

He survived the sinking of USS Perch (SS-176) and more than 3 years as a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II

He was a native of Charlevoix and was instrumental in building and maintaining this Memorial — Map (db m98059) HM WM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — Still On Patrol

U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 submarines still on "patrol"

Albacore · Amberjack · Argonaut · Barbel · Bonefish · Bullhead · . . . — Map (db m98057) HM WM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — USS Escolar (SS 294) Memorial — October 17, 1944 — CDR W.J. [William John] Millican —

We the US Submarine Veterans of WWII Michigan Chapter proudly dedicate this memorial to the gallant men of the USS Escolar (SS294) Lost by enemy action on or about 17 October 1944 while on her first patrol with the loss of . . . — Map (db m98060) HM WM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Charlevoix — Wharfside Building and Park Acquisition

Wharfside Building Acquisition The 2002 purchase of the Wharfside Building (formerly known as Neff Brothers Quality Food Store) culminated the City of Charlevoix's one hundred and six year dedicated effort to purchase properties along the . . . — Map (db m98056) HM

Michigan (Cheboygan County), Cheboygan — Cheboygan's Beginnings — The Name "Cheboygan"
The name "Cheboygan" probably comes from the Annishinaabe or Chippewa word "zhiibaa'onaii," meaning a channel or passage for a canoe. This mural depicts some of the earliest known individuals to have made Cheboygan home during its beginnings. . . . — Map (db m121797) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Cheboygan — Cheboygan's Beginnings — "The Pipe"
The Pipe: Voyageurs often smoked white clay pipes as they travelled the waters of the Great Lakes region in their large freight-hauling canoes. Bodies of water were known as a "two-pipe lake" or "five-pipe crossing" depending on the number of . . . — Map (db m121799) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Cheboygan — Cheboygan's Beginnings — Huron Shore Trail
Huron Shore Trail follows the geologic Algonquin Beach Ridge formation along the western shore of Lake Huron from the Straits of Mackinac to Saginaw Bay. For centuries this trail was the primary travel route for Chippewa people travelling . . . — Map (db m121805) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Cheboygan — Cheboygan's Beginnings — Voyageurs
Huron Shore Trail follows the geologic Algonquin Beach Ridge formation along the western shore of Lake Huron from the Straits of Mackinac to Saginaw Bay. For centuries this trail was the primary travel route for Chippewa people travelling . . . — Map (db m121887) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Cheboygan — Cheboygan's Beginnings — The "Welcome"
River mouth and cattail marsh: Captain Samuel Robertson wrote in the 1770s, "…the most safest place near Michilimackinac [Mackinac Island] for wintering vessels is the River Shaboygan, there is six feet water upon the Barr, the River is about . . . — Map (db m121888) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Indian River — 127 — Inland Waterway
The glaciers of the last Ice Age retreated to the north some 25,000 years ago, leaving behind the lakes that rank as Michigan's most notable geographical feature. Among the state's largest inland lakes is Burt Lake, named after William A. Burt, who, . . . — Map (db m33247) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Alexander Henry Park Kiosk
Alexander Henry Park Built in 1987, by the Village of Mackinaw City, with funding from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Coastal Zone Management Program and the Mackinac Island State Park Commission. Alexander Henry: Fur . . . — Map (db m141174) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Anchors and their retrieval / Capstan for pulling up the anchor — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Anchors and their retrieval Functions of an anchor
  1. gain a hold on the bottom
  2. provide sufficient power to keep the boat from dragging away
  3. maintain its hold in changing wind conditions
The anchor in . . . — Map (db m141152) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 3 — Auto Ferries — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Mackinaw City is the northernmost point on the lower peninsula and all the main auto routes through Northern Michigan terminated here. These roads were the East Pike, the West Pike and the Dixie Highway. The automobile eventually replaced train . . . — Map (db m138187) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Before the bridge — The history of the Michigan State Ferry Service
Eight different state owned and operated ferries worked this dock between 1923 and 1957. During those 34 years, the Michigan ferries carried approximately 12 million vehicles and more than 30 million passengers across the Straits of Mackinac. This . . . — Map (db m138126) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Breaking the ice — Extending the shipping season to transport goods
Great Lakes shipping is a key component to the regional economy. The shipping industry is one of the cheapest and most efficient ways to transport large quantities of raw materials, such as iron ore, coal and heating oil. Extending the shipping . . . — Map (db m138486) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 2 — British Colonial Shipbuilding Yard, 1761 - 1781 — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Boats delivered products from all over the world to Michilimackinac during the 1700s. After long, arduous journeys they often needed to be repaired here. Based on artifacts found at this site, such as 1770s sailmaker's needles, and the . . . — Map (db m138441) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Chief Wawatam — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Railroad construction across America boomed in the second half of the 1800s, spurred on by technological improvements and demand for distant products. Getting rail cars across the Straits required special boats. Railroads were completed on . . . — Map (db m105945) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Chief Wawatam — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Chief Wawatam, an Ojibway Indian living at the Straits of Mackinac, befriended the British fur trader Alexander Henry as a brother. During the Indian attack on Fort Michilimackinac in 1763, Wawatam protected his friend and cared for him as a member . . . — Map (db m131697) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 8 — Commercial Fishing — Mackinac CIty Historical Pathway
Fishing became the subsistence occupation in Mackinaw when the fur trading industry collapsed in the 1840s. It has continued to be a major employer for over 170 years. The first large fishery on this site was built in 1892 and was owned . . . — Map (db m138430) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Graveyard of the Deep — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The Griffin, the first ship on the Upper Great Lakes, disappeared on its maiden voyage in 1679. Since then the Lakes have swallowed over 10,000 vessels. Early wooden ships were often lost to on-board fires. Many others were destroyed by . . . — Map (db m107191) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 7 — Ice Harvesting — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Harvested in Mackinaw, shipped around the Great Lakes, the ice was used to cool food and people. Selling ice for refrigeration to the fish houses, railroads, and homes was big business from the late 1800s to World War II, and Mackinaw . . . — Map (db m138336) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 17 — Mackinac and the Water Highway — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The strategic importance of the Great Lakes during the fur trade made Michilimackinac a well-known name throughout the world by all the superpowers of the time. Before trains and cars were invented, people of the Great Lakes traveled on the . . . — Map (db m140741) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 15 — Mackinac Island Passenger Ferries — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Passenger ferries to Mackinac Island have existed since the late 1870s. Today three ferry lines serve the island. Transportation across the Straits of Mackinac, whether to St. Ignace or Mackinac Island, began with the versatile birch . . . — Map (db m140733) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 19 — Mackinaw Boat - Mackinaw Coat — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The Mackinaw Boat was designed for northern Great Lakes conditions The Mackinaw boat was the work boat of fur traders, fishermen, settlers and lake travelers for hundreds of years, from the early 1700s to the early 1900s. The hull . . . — Map (db m140770) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — S707, S708 — Mackinaw City Railroad Dock / USCG Cutter Mackinaw WAGB 83
Mackinaw City Railroad Dock (side 1, marker #707)Before the Mackinac Bridge opened in 1957, ships were the only means of connecting Michigan's peninsulas. During the 1870s, small sailing vessels served as ferries. Steamboats took over . . . — Map (db m131700) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 12 — Mackinaw's Civil War Cannons — The Guns (Cannons) That Won the Civil War — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway —
During the Civil War and after the battle in Mobile Bay, naval historians called this gun, the 9-inch Dahlgren, the gun "that won the Civil War". We are very lucky to have these three relics from the Civil War here in Makinaw City, Michigan. The . . . — Map (db m138764) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 25 — Marine & Weather Reporter — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Mackinaw residents have long rendered services to passing ships. One of the most interesting was The Marine & Weather Reporting Service, established in 1877 by Forest J. Stimpson. Stimpson made daily reports on weather conditions at the Straits . . . — Map (db m141154) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — S670 — Michigan State Ferry System / Michigan State Car Ferries
Michigan State Ferry System (side 1) In 1923, in response to increasing automobile traffic, the Michigan Highway Department established the Michigan State Ferry System to connect the Upper and Lower Peninsulas by transporting travelers . . . — Map (db m131696) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — S377 — Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
This light is opposite the turning point for ships making the difficult passage through the Straits of Mackinac, one of the busiest crossroads of the Great Lakes. McGulpin's Point light, two miles to the west, had been established in 1856, but it . . . — Map (db m40053) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 10 — Railroad Ferries — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The construction of railroads into Northern Michigan closely followed the lumbering industry. In 1881, the Michigan Central completed its line into Mackinaw, and the Mackinac and Marquette reached St. Ignace in the same year. To complete the . . . — Map (db m138432) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Shipwrecks in the Straits — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
When mankind took to the water, shipwrecks were inevitable. As long as canoes and boats have sailed the Great Lakes there have been shipwrecks. Many have occurred in the Straits of Mackinac with its narrow channels, shoals, and harsh and . . . — Map (db m131758) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 13 — The Algomah — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The Algomah sank at the Cheboygan docks in July 1942 and was raised two years later. She was towed to Mackinaw City, filled with stone, and sunk to form the breakwall at the end of Shelpler's ferry dock. In 1947, Captain William Shepler, . . . — Map (db m105883) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — The Meneely Bell
The Meneely bell atop this tower helped guide the train ferries Chief Wawatam and Sainte Marie in foggy weather to the New York Central Railroad Dock in Mackinaw City. The bell, cast in 1890 in Troy, N.Y., was in service until 1952 and weighs . . . — Map (db m138340) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Brimley — Point Iroquois
This point of land is the historic battleground where the westward invasion by the Iroquois Indians was halted by the victorious Chippewa. Off the point colorful French-Canadian voyageurs paddled canoes heavily laden with furs. The 18th century . . . — Map (db m4452) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), DeTour Village — 2252 — DeTour Reef Light Station
Side One: Located where the St. Mary’s River enters Lake Huron from Lake Superior, DeTour Passage separates the Upper Peninsula from Drummond Island. It has long been a choke point for Great Lakes shipping. Anticipating increased traffic as a . . . — Map (db m70781) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Paradise — 272 — Whitefish Point Lighthouse
This light, the oldest active on Lake Superior, began operating in 1849, though the present tower was constructed later. Early a stopping place for Indians, voyageurs, and Jesuit missionaries, the point marks a course change for ore boats and other . . . — Map (db m40054) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Sault Ste. Marie — St. Marys Falls Canal
St. Marys Falls Canal has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m143700) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — Escanaba
Escanaba: The Port It was the abundant timber that first lured settlers to the area to start sawmill communities along rivers flowing into the bay. Although Escanaba itself was not heavily wooded, as a port it became a commercial hub for . . . — Map (db m137157) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — Escanaba's Docks
At your immediate left, the first dock you see is the decaying Chicago and Northwestern Railway Dock, locally called the Merchant's Dock. Most of Escanaba's freight and passengers to and from the South and East came and went over this dock before . . . — Map (db m137161) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — L2193 — Sand Point Lighthouse / Squaw Point Boathouse
Sand Point Lighthouse From 1868 to 1939 the Sand Point Lighthouse warned mariners of the spit of land extending into Little Bay de Noc at the entrance to Escanaba Harbor. The U.S. Congress authorized construction of the lighthouse in 1864, . . . — Map (db m137333) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — The Port - Early Years
Possessed of both a deep channel and protection by the natural break waters of Sand Point, Escanaba has a top rated natural harbor. Since Escanaba's beginning, the timber trade shipped from this harbor, and the Lake Schooners Fleet dominated the . . . — Map (db m137290) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Garden — Warehouse Locations — Fayette Historic State Park
Fayette looks like a little Chicago this week; the harbor is full of boats and business is brisk. Schoolcraft County Pioneer 1881 Four warehouses stood on a wharf off this point of land. Vessels like the steam barge Fayette . . . — Map (db m128864) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Wells — L63 — Escanaba River — The Legend / The Lumbermen
Escanaba River: The Legend This is the land of the Chippewa Indians and the legendary Hiawatha. Indian villages existed along the banks of the river, and Indians were living here when the first white men came to this region in the 1600's. . . . — Map (db m139220) HM
Michigan (Delta County), Wells — Waterpowered Sawmills
Donald McLeod of Green Bay purchased Alden Chandler's water-powered mill, the first sawmill built on the Escanaba River, and in 1844 sold it to John and Joseph Smith. Chandler was again "first" when he became the first postmaster serving . . . — Map (db m139246) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — History of the Bennett Park Dam
The dam at Bennett Park was built around 1907 to provide cooling water for a stream generated water works facility. Additionally, it served as a local recreational attraction for many members of the community who would swim and fish here. The . . . — Map (db m126182) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage — as viewed from Cross Village, Michigan

Skillagalee Island Light Located 12 miles northwest of Cross Village. First established in 1850, the present Light was built in 1888. There are many shipwrecks near this island, in an area known as the "Graveyard of the Great . . . — Map (db m97851) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — S0011 — Fort Michilimackinac
This fort, built about 1715, put French soldiers at the Straits for the first time since 1701. French authority ceased in 1761 when the British troops entered the fort. On June 2, 1763, during Pontiac's uprising, Chippewa Indians seized the fort, . . . — Map (db m7670) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — S0166 — Little Traverse Bay
For centuries this region has been the home of Ottawa Indians, whose warriors and orators fought bravely to retain their land. Around 1700 a mission was built by French Jesuits at the famous L'Arbre Croche villages which stretched from Cross Village . . . — Map (db m55405) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — USS Hartford Dahlgren Gun

This gun is one of twenty six nine inch guns composing the battery of Admiral Farragut's historic-flagship "Hartford" during the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 at the battles of New Orleans, Vicksburg, Port Hudson, . . . — Map (db m97916) HM WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — A Light at Old Mission

By the mid 1850's, shipping on Grand Traverse Bay had grown substantially. A Lighthouse on the northern tip of Old Mission Peninsula, to warn of the rocky point, was necessary. In 1859 Congress appropriated the funds, however the Light was not . . . — Map (db m98186) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — Site of Lighthouse Privy

The bathroom of earlier days was not much like the bathrooms of today. With no indoor plumbing, most privies or outhouses were holes in the ground with sheds and seats over them and were located several feet from the main home. When the hole . . . — Map (db m98184) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — U.S.S. Sabine Parrott Rifle

This 6.4 inch 100 Pounder Parrot[t] Rifled Naval Cannon served on the U.S.S. Sabine during the Civil War. It is the only one from that ship that survives today. The cannon was cast in 1862 at the West Point Foundry (Registration #15 Foundry . . . — Map (db m98250) HM WM

Michigan (Huron County), Huron City — S0369 — Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse
The Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse and Lifesaving Station aided mariners for over a century, beginning in 1847. That year the United States Lighthouse Service built the first lighthouse on this site to mark the turning point of Lake Huron into . . . — Map (db m41201) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S587C — Lansing's First Capitol Building / Lansing Becomes the Capital City
Lansing's First Capitol Building Early in 1847, three commissioners were appointed to select an appropriate site for the capitol in Lansing. The contract for construction was awarded on June 3, 1847. Building materials were shipped by boat on . . . — Map (db m99950) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S0617 — The Grand River / Grand River History
The Grand River and its valley were formed by the melting of the continental glacier that retreated from this area some 12,000 years ago. Known by Chippewa Indians as Washtanong (further country) and by the French as le Riviere Grand, the Grand is . . . — Map (db m104018) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — The Bridge — Linking a City
1842: The wooden bridge Though no records exist of Williamston's first bridge, there must have been bridges to move supplies and traffic between the mills and farms on the north side. One entering our Village from the north, . . . — Map (db m118899) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — A New Light on the Horizon
Ottawa Point (now called Tawas Point) presents a hazard to navigation as it juts out into Lake Huron. It also shelters Tawas Bay, protecting ships from strong north or northeast winds. In 1850, The Federal government set aside $5000 to build a . . . — Map (db m123998) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Oil House
”Put oil in new Oil House, cleaned same.” Lightkeeper Samuel Palmer, May 26, 1989 Fuel for the Tawas Point light was originally stored in an oil room in the keeper’s dwelling. During the 1870s the Lighthouse Service changed . . . — Map (db m123993) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Preserving the Light
The New Light Keepers The State of Michigan acquired Tawas Point Light from the U.S. Coast Guard in 2002. The light will be managed by the Department of Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation Division, and interpreted by the Department of . . . — Map (db m123997) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — Tawas Lighthouse
The point is a “making point.” Annual Report, U.S. Lighthouse Board, 1873 Throughout its recorded history, blowing, drifting sand has constantly extended Tawas Point. This lighthouse was built in 1876 because the end of the . . . — Map (db m123999) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — L2294 — Tawas Point Light Station
(side 1) In 1850 the U.S. Lighthouse Service commissioned a light station to safely guide ships into Tawas Bay. The first light station was built in 1852 at the end of Tawas Point, then known as Ottawa Point. The prisms of its . . . — Map (db m124079) HM
Michigan (Iosco County), East Tawas — The Changing Shape of Tawas Point — Shifting Sands and a New Lighthouse
The point has steadily made to the southward and westward, and the extremity of it is now more than a mile from the light. Report of the Light-House Board, 1873 Blowing, shifting sand on the point forced the construction of the . . . — Map (db m123991) HM
Michigan (Leelanau County), Glen Arbor — Sleeping Bear Point Life Saving Station. — Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
More then fifty ships have wrecked along this stretch of Lake Michigan. These buildings housed the men of the United States Life Saving Service who guarded this hazardous shore. Equipped with line throwing cannons and rowing life boats, they stood . . . — Map (db m100648) HM
Michigan (Leelanau County), Leland — 407 — Leland Historical District (Fishtown)
This commercial fishing district has provided a livelihood for residents of the town for over a century. Fishermen reached the fishing grounds of Lake Michigan by way of the Leland River (Carp River) using small sailboats until the introduction of . . . — Map (db m76057) HM
Michigan (Leelanau County), Northport — 615 — Grand Traverse Lighthouse
Grand Traverse Lighthouse Built in 1858 — Map (db m76060) HM
Michigan (Luce County), Paradise — Taming the Tahquamenon River
The Players James McMillan (left) and John S. Newberry (right) founded the Detroit, Mackinac & Marquette Railroad (DM&M). After completing the railroad, the company sought ways to develop the properties that they owned along the route. On . . . — Map (db m4453) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — 107 — Round Island Lighthouse
The Round Island Lighthouse, seen south of this site, was completed in 1895. Operating under the auspices of the United States Government, this facility was in continuous use for fifty-two years. It was manned by a crew of three until its beacon was . . . — Map (db m35151) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — The Ice Bridge
Every winter ice provides a vital link to the mainland. Two hundred years ago British soldiers used teams of oxen to haul men and materials across the ice when they moved Fort Michilimackinac from the mainland to the island. In the later 1800s the . . . — Map (db m131769) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Diving into History
Strewn across the bottomlands of East Moran Bay, particularly off this beach, are fascinating artifacts discarded from canoes, schooners, and steamboats for more than 300 years. Commerial vessels—from Indian and French canoes to modern . . . — Map (db m139693) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Heritage of Fishermen in this Area
The Great Lakes are known for delicious freshwater fish. Before the white man came, Native Indian tribes supplied their needs with fresh and dried fish from these lakes. Later, others joined in the fishing business, many of them from the . . . — Map (db m130127) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 120 — Lake Michigan
This lake, the sixth largest in the world, was discovered in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, who explored this north shore to Green Bay but found no Orientals as the French in Quebec had hoped he would. The general size and outline of the lake was established . . . — Map (db m4439) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 82 — Mackinac Straits
Nicolet passed through the Straits in 1634 seeking a route to the Orient. Soon it became a crossroads where Indian, missionary, trapper, and soldier met. From the 1600's through the War of 1812 first Frenchman and Englishman, then Briton and . . . — Map (db m101013) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mackinaw Boat
The Mackinaw Boat was a unique design of Great Lakes vessel developed by the French and based on the Indian design of the Birch Bark Canoe. It was characterized by identical tapered pointed ends, high sides, narrow beam and gaff-rigged sails. . . . — Map (db m139662) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mackinaw Boat — Edith Jane
The loose term "Mackinaw Boat" originally referred to any small sailing craft used in the Straits of Mackinac. The rather flat bottom and shallow draft allowed Mackinaw Boats to be pulled up on the beach, making them an ideal work boat when . . . — Map (db m139665) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Michigan State Ferry — Saint Ignace Terminal — 1923-1932 —
Built and operated under the supervision of Grover C. Dillman, State Highway Commissioner, as a link of the State Highway System. Ferry service first opened -1923- under the supervision of Frank F. Rogers, State Highway Commissioner, 1913-1929. . . . — Map (db m130090) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mooring Facilities — St. Ignace Downtown History
The four large cylinder shaped structures that you see in place out in the bay are called "mooring dolphins". A dolphin is "a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore". These particular dolphins were . . . — Map (db m130123) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mooring Facilities — St. Ignace Downtown History
The four large cylinder shaped structures that you see in place out in the bay are called "mooring dolphins". A dolphin is "a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore". These particular dolphins . . . — Map (db m139691) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Old Mill Slip
Michigan's huge, untouched forests once seemed inexhaustible. Virgin White Pine often were over 5 feet in diameter and 200 feet tall. The lumber era boomed in Michigan between 1880 and 1900. Giant trees were cut in winter and floated to . . . — Map (db m139603) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — People and the Great Lakes
The Past 10,000 years ago the last Pleistocene glacier retreated across this region, leaving behind the Great Lakes and their drainage basin. The first human inhabitants arrived soon thereafter, living off abundant game, fertile soil and . . . — Map (db m139794) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — State Ferries, 1923-1957
July 31, 1923 marked the beginning of a Straits ferry system, when the converted river boat “Ariel,” landed 20 autos at the St. Ignace center. Annual traffic increased to about one million cars, requiring 470 employees, new docks and a . . . — Map (db m130095) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — State Ferry Service
This dock and the auto ferries which landed here were once the Upper Peninsula's "highway" to lower Michigan. In the early 1900's, the few cars which reached the Straits crossed on railroad ferries, at a cost of $40 each! Better roads . . . — Map (db m139782) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — The Chief Dock — St. Ignace Downtown History
The boardwalk on which you are standing is constructed on what is affectionately referred to by local residents as the "Chief Dock". It is the previous home to the Chief Wawatam (Wa-wa'-tem), a hand-fired, coal burning train-car ferry built by the . . . — Map (db m130100) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — The Chief Dock Kiosk
Panel 1 — The Life In the years when passenger trains were part of the train service, the Chief's crew consisted of 54 people including "hotel services staff." The Chief ran 24 hours a day. She could carry 348 passengers and had . . . — Map (db m140007) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Watery Graveyard
The Great Lakes have swallowed up over 10,000 ships since the first trading ship was lost in 1679. Storm waves on the lakes are sharper than the roll and swell of ocean waves; a ship may not recover before being struck by another wave. Lake . . . — Map (db m139590) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — What's in the Water? — St. Ignace Downtown History
The dark debris along the shoreline of this sandy beach is actually tree bark that has washed ashore. How did the tree bark get in the water in the first place? From the 1870's to the mid 1900's, when the lumber industry was huge in Northern . . . — Map (db m139492) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — What's in the Water? — St. Ignace Downtown History
The dark debris along the shoreline of this sandy beach is actually tree bark that has washed ashore. How did the tree bark get in the water in the first place? From the 1870's to the mid 1900's, when the lumber industry was huge in Northern . . . — Map (db m139511) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — William H. Barnum — St. Ignace Downtown History
This rudder came from the shipwreck of the William H. Barnum, a wooden steamer lost April 3, 1894. While carrying a cargo of corn the aging Barnum was blocked and cut open by ice. No loss of life occurred. William H. Barnum Length: 218' • . . . — Map (db m130126) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — S520 — Lake St. Clair (Lac Sainte Claire)
French explorers discovered and named Lake Saint Clair on August 12, 1679. Among the party of 34 men were voyageur Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle and Roman Catholic friar Father Louis Hennepin. Aboard the Griffon, the first sailing . . . — Map (db m102458) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Utica — Historic Utica
{Title is Text}Map (db m137855) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the . . . — Map (db m106084) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the . . . — Map (db m106087) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run Creek
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the pathway that . . . — Map (db m106082) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run Creek
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the pathway that . . . — Map (db m106083) HM
Michigan (Manistee County), Arcadia — Restoring Arcadia Marsh and Fish Passage within Bowens Creek

Historic landscape changes within Bowens Creek watershed have severely altered and greatly reduced the quality of its stream and wetland habitats. These impacts are apparent from its unnamed tributaries downstream through Arcadia Marsh to . . . — Map (db m97462) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — Explore the Heritage and History — Explore the Shores — Manistee County, Michigan: Where Life Meets Water —

As early as 10,000 years ago, nomadic people were following the bountiful harvests of fish and game the Manistee River provided. By 500 B.C., natives began settling this land, setting up camps and farming.

The lands were controlled by the . . . — Map (db m97439) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — Pere Marquette Line Steamers — Historic Manistee, The Victorian Port City

The last firm to service the Manistee passenger and package freight business was the Pere Marquette Line Steamers. The companies engaged in this business required extensive dockside facilities to service their clientele. These facilities lined . . . — Map (db m97400) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — The Maple Street Bridge — Historic Manistee, The Victorian Port City

For the first 25 years after lumbermen settled in Manistee the river divided the community. People who later became prominent citizens spent their youth ferrying an occasional passenger across the river in canoes. After the Civil War, private . . . — Map (db m97382) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — The Tunnel — Historic Manistee, The Victorian Port City

For nearly a hundred years a small building stood across the River which looked like a Dutch windmill without a vane. The building was not a windmill at all, but instead the entrance to a utility tunnel which runs under the River. Today the . . . — Map (db m97399) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Manistee — U.S.S. Michigan — Historic Manistee, The Victorian Port City

An 1818 Treaty allows the United States and Canada to each maintain one warship of limited armament on the Great Lakes. For most of a century the U.S.S. MICHIGAN served as the U.S. warship.

The MICHIGAN was built on the frontier in 1843 at . . . — Map (db m97434) HM

Michigan (Manistee County), Onekama — The Portage Lake Region — Historical Marker

Following the fur traders into this region came a few adventurous lumbermen looking for saw-mill sites. Interested by what he saw in 1840, Joseph Stronach built a dam and water mill on the swift, natural outlet of Portage Lake.

Soon . . . — Map (db m97445) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — "Sport Fishing" — By Bryce Petit, Durango, Colorado — Mason County Sculpture Trail —

In the 1960's, the introduction of Coho and Chinook Salmon into Lake Michigan was the beginning of great expansion of sport fishing.

In 1964, over 600,000 Coho smolts were stocked in the Platte River and Bear Creek, both tributaries of Lake . . . — Map (db m98357) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — "The Abbie" — A Great Lakes Schooner — By Tyson Snow, Ogden, Utah —

The "Abbie" was the last schooner built at the Ludington docks in 1886 for Rasmus Rasmussen. At 88 feet long, 22 feet wide, and with a 6 foot draft, this double-masted, 88-ton schooner was typical of those that sailed the Great Lakes. On most . . . — Map (db m98353) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — L0484 — S.S. Pere Marquette 18

At least twenty-nine persons died when this vessel sank in Lake Michigan twenty miles off the Wisconsin coast on September 9, 1910. One of the Ludington carferry fleet, the 350 foot S.S. Pere Marquette 18 was traveling from this port to . . . — Map (db m98338) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — S0318 — Armistice Day Storm

On November 11, 1940, a severe storm swept the Great Lakes area. As it crossed Lake Michigan ships and seamen fought to reach safety away from its blinding winds and towering seas. Between Big and Little Points Sable the freighters William . . . — Map (db m98333) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — L1518 — Big Sable Point Lighthouse
(side 1) Called Grande Pointe au Sable by French explorers and traders, Big Sable Point was an important landmark for mariners traveling a treacherous stretch of Lake Michigan shoreline between Big Sable Point and present-day . . . — Map (db m41966) HM
Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — S0656 — S.S. Badger / Ludington Car Ferries

(Side A) S.S. Badger S.S. Badger is one of fourteen ships that served in the Ludington railroad car ferry fleet. Badger and its sister ship S.S. Spartan, were built in 1952 by the Christy Corporation of . . . — Map (db m97277) HM

Michigan (Mason County), Ludington — S.S. City of Flint 32

In memory of the carferry "S.S. City of Flint 32," driven ashore during the Great Armistice Day Storm of November 11, 1940 about 500 feet off shore of this location. Vessel returned to service. — Map (db m98336) HM

Michigan (Menominee County), Ingallston Township — Village of Leathemport
About 1878, John Leathem and Thomas Smith came to this area from Door County, Wisconsin. They cut the towering pines along the west shore of Green Bay and built a saw mill to make lumber and shingles. Over 400 hundred men were employed in the . . . — Map (db m139042) HM
Michigan (Menominee County), Menominee — S0343 — Chapee Rapids
Stanislaus Chaput, a French-Canadian fur trader sometimes called Louis Chappee, became the first settler at the mouth of the Menominee River in the early 1800s. He fought, along with most of the Green Bay traders, in the British attack on Fort . . . — Map (db m88829) HM
Michigan (Menominee County), Menominee — L1944 — Menominee / Main Street Historic District
(Side 1:) Menominee French-Canadian voyager Louis Chaput (Chappee) came here during the late 1790s. Chaput, an agent for the American Fur Company, was the first white settler in Menominee, which was named for the Menominee Indians . . . — Map (db m88831) HM
Michigan (Menominee County), Stephenson — Owen Francis Patrick Hammerberg
In memory of Owen Francis Patrick Hammerberg Born May 31, 1920 in Daggett, Michigan. As a United States Navy-World War II veteran , Owen was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, posthumously, for heroism in saving the . . . — Map (db m138504) HM WM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — S0118 — Lake Erie
Named for the Erie Indians, this was the last of the Great Lakes discovered by white men. The French were exploring the upper lakes as early as 1615, but they avoided the region to the south, which was the realm of hostile Iroquois Indians. Then in . . . — Map (db m107150) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — LaPlaisance Bay
LaPlaisance Bay - the pleasant bay - was named in 1679 by Robert De LaSalle. After the War of 1812, it became part of the United States. In 1820 Maj. John Whipple was appointed keeper of the LaPlaisance Bay lighthouse. April 19, 1825 Col. John . . . — Map (db m107143) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L0647 — Camp Lunden
In June 1933 two hundred unmarried, able-bodied men between the ages of seventeen and twenty-three, members of the Civilian Conservation Corps, set up camp on Hunt Creek. Soon after, they relocated to this site, which they named Camp Lunden. In 1936 . . . — Map (db m33293) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — Muskegon Fishing Reef — Constructed September 1980
. . . — Map (db m119656) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Whitehall — L2184 — White Lake Yacht CLub
side 1 By 1897 most of White Lake’s bustling sawmills had given way to cottages and small hotels. Promoters advertised the area’s cool temperatures as relief from the summer heat of cities and drew thousands of people to the area, many . . . — Map (db m119659) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Highland — Pettibone Creek Mills
In 1846 Major F. Lockwood built a dam and sawmill on Pettibone Creek northeast of Livingston and Harvey Lake Roads. This sawmill supplied lumber to Highland's earliest settlers until it burned in 1863. In 1867 Chester Chatfield build a cider mill at . . . — Map (db m20487) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Pettibone Grist Mill 1846 — Hebbard & Davis Woolen Mill 1850 Tower & Tenny Woodworking Mill 1854 Henry Ford I Mill 1938
The upper mill pond was created in 1846 by damming Pettibone Creek. A mill race entered the pond beneath the road and powered the woolen and woodworking mills. The race for the grist mill left the pond near the dam at the south end of the pond. . . . — Map (db m125366) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — L2015 — Paint Creek Millrace
Paint Creek begins in a Brandon Township wetland and flows southeast to Rochester where it empties into the Clinton River. Today a thriving trout stream, the creek was important for waterpower during the nineteenth century. Needham Hemingway dammed . . . — Map (db m137897) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 96 — Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal
This canal, conceived at the peak of the era of canal-building, was part of Michigan's internal improvements program which was announced in 1837. The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal would make it possible to cross southern Michigan by boat from Lake St. . . . — Map (db m118904) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Mears — L2243 — Petite Pointe Au Sable Lighthouse
Side 1 Here the Petite Pointe Au Sable (little point of sand) juts into Lake Michigan. Increased shipping on the lake started after the Civil War, largely due to the expanding lumber industry. Consequently, this isolated point became the . . . — Map (db m107009) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — S571 — Graveyard of Ships / Veterans' Day Storm
Graveyard of Ships The twenty-mile span of Lake Michigan between Little Point Sable, at Silver Lake, and Big Point Sable, north of Ludington, has earned a reputation as the "Graveyard of Ships." Beginning with the loss of the . . . — Map (db m106970) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Ships and Shipping — Historic Village of Pentwater
What is now a park-like shore along the lake was the heart of Pentwater's industrial district during the lumbering era. Today's grass replaced many large neat stacks of newly sawn lumber awaiting shipment. Lumber was the principal outgoing cargo . . . — Map (db m107195) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Grand Haven — Escanaba Memorial Park
Grand Haven remembers and honors the United States Coast Guard Cutter Escanaba at Escanaba Memorial Park. Based in Grand Haven from 1932 to 1942, the Escanaba embarked on many Great Lakes rescue and ice-breaking missions. The vessel left for service . . . — Map (db m88819) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Grand Haven — 1831 — Shipwrecks and the Coast Guard / The Escanaba
Text on the Front Side: Shipwrecks and the Coast Guard In Autumn 1929 raging storms sank four ships on Lake Michigan between Grand Haven and Milwaukee. Two went down with all hands - a total of seventy-seven men. The . . . — Map (db m88945) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Grand Haven — The Boardwalk
The Grand River riverfront has been many things. It was a bustling gateway to Lake Michigan for lumber and shipping in the 1800s. After years of neglect, in the 1950s it gained new life as a vital part of Grand Haven's downtown. In the early 1980s . . . — Map (db m88811) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — L0394 — Holland Harbor Lighthouse / Holland Harbor
(side 1) Holland Harbor Lighthouse The first lighthouse built at this location was a small, square wooden structure erected in 1872. In 1880 the lighthouse service installed a new light atop a metal pole in a protective cage. The oil . . . — Map (db m41967) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Macatawa — L394 — Holland Harbor / Holland Harbor Lighthouse
Holland Harbor (Side 1) When seeking a location for his Netherlands emigrant followers in 1847, the Reverend A.C. Van Raalte was attracted by the potential of using Black Lake (Lake Macatawa) as a harbor. However, the lake's outlet to . . . — Map (db m67577) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Spring Lake — S0714 — Winsor McCay
Side 1 Winsor McCay (c.1867-1934), a pioneer in cartoon animation, first received acclaim for his artwork as a pupil in Spring Lake's Union School. His blackboard sketch of the 1880 wreck of the SS Alpena inspired a photographer to . . . — Map (db m88985) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Millersburg — 119 — Lake Huron
This, the fifth largest lake in the world, was the first of the Great Lakes seen by white men. By following the Ottawa River route, Samuel de Champlain in 1615 came to the “Freshwater Sea.” It was half a century before the French fully . . . — Map (db m120725) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L39 — Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
Presque Isle Harbor is one of Lake Huron's safest harbors of refuge. Its name comes from this peninsula which, translating from the French, is "almost and island." Indians and Frenchmen portaged across the peninsula to avoid several miles of open . . . — Map (db m40149) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L2176 — Presque Isle Front Range Light
In 1869 the U.S. Congress appropriated $7,500 to build two range lights marking the channel into Presque Isle Harbor. Orlando M. Poe submitted plans in May 1870, and by August the range lights were in operation as seafarers aligned the lights to . . . — Map (db m120784) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — 1563 — Presque Isle Light Station
This lighthouse, built in 1870 by Orlando M. Poe, is one of three Great Lakes towers built from the same plans. It replaced the smaller 1840 harbor light. The conical brick tower rises 113 feet from a limestone foundation. The Third Order Fresnel . . . — Map (db m40062) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — Emergency Steering Wheel
An emergency steering wheel like this would have been found on steam-powered freighters operated by the Rogers City-based Bradley Transportation Line, which carried limestone from the Port of Calcite to locations throughout the Great Lakes from . . . — Map (db m123700) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — 2186 — Forty Mile Point Lighthouse / Lake Huron Graveyard of Ships
side 1: Forty Mile Point Lighthouse During the late 1800s, the U.S. Lighthouse Board created a system of coastal lights along Lake Huron's Michigan shore so that mariners would always be within sight of at least one. With a light . . . — Map (db m126066) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — International Shipmaster's Association
The maritime professionals who sail the ships on the Great Lakes are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their fraternal organization, the I. M. S. A. whose purpose is stated in the Association's constitution, "The purpose of this association's . . . — Map (db m121891) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — Port of Calcite Entry Light
For many decades, the “Calcite Light” greeted ships entering the harbor at Rogers City's Port of Calcite, the world's largest limestone quarry. Although the early history of this light is unknown, when it was manufactured in the early . . . — Map (db m123701) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — S.S. Joseph S. Fay Shipwreck
Shipwreck 250 feet S.S. Joseph S. Fay Built 1871 Wrecked at 40 Mile Point October 19, 1905 See 130 Ft. section of her Starboard side on the beach. — Map (db m122180) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — SS Calcite — 1912
The Calcite Pilot House was saved and retired to Rogers City where it was installed as a tourist attraction at Harbor View overlooking the Calcite Plant. Over the years, she was visited by thousands of people. Eventually, the Pilot House was . . . — Map (db m122335) HM

252 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 52
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020