Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Notable Buildings Historical Markers

 
Stone from Ruins of Old Bank Marker in middle distance. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 26, 2017
Stone from Ruins of Old Bank Marker in middle distance.
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — Stone from Ruins of Old Bank
This Stone Was Taken from Ruins of Old Bank, built at Arkansas Post, 1839. Arkansas Post State Park. Created by Act of Legislature 1929. Introduced by Ballard Deane, Representative, Arkansas County. Act . . . — Map (db m108550) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — J. Deane & Sons Hardware Store
J. Deane and Son was a hardware store that served this area beginning in 1890. During the steamboat era, St. Charles was a thriving river boat community and this was its largest retail outlet. Founded by Joe Deane, who arrived here . . . — Map (db m108563) HM
Arkansas (Ashley County), Hamburg — F-18 — Ashley County Court House
The first court house in Ashley County was erected on this site in 1849. The county having been created the year before. — Map (db m107740) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Integrating With Nature / The Journey

In 1953 Gloria and Abraham Wilson wrote to Frank Lloyd Wright to commission a home.

Gloria's brother, Marvin Bachman, had been one of Wright's apprentices, and the couple hoped that using both their last names might help them secure the . . . — Map (db m108879) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Historic Rogers Post Office Building1919

This building constructed in 1918-19 cost a total of $75,000 including the site, furnishings, and fixtures. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it served as the U.S. Post Office for Rogers for over four decades. These 1918 . . . — Map (db m90744) HM

Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — Early Garage
Built in the early 1930s by Phillips Petroleum, it was the city's first full-service garage. West of the gas station, it was brick with a wood-framed vaulted ceiling. It was leased to "Hoot" Gipson who operated an auto repair shop and 24-hour . . . — Map (db m141852) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — Early Gas Station
One of the city's earliest gas stations, built in 1927 by W.H. Lewis, it was purchased in 1929 by Independent Oil (became Phillips 66). They remodeled it from a frame structure with rubblestone veneer to Tudor Revival Style. Independent . . . — Map (db m141850) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The First National Bank of Berryville
It is the former location of Hammerschmidt Lumber Co. and the First National Bank. It is now home of the Harrison flood of May 1961 mural (located inside) hand painted by Louis Fruend. This historic event commanded both national and international . . . — Map (db m141869) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The Hotel Seville
The hotel opened on October 5, 1929 and was erected at a cost of $135,000. The Spanish Moorish design is built of brick, cement & steel making it virtually fire proof. Scaracenic Arches mark the front entries The Seville served for years as . . . — Map (db m141854) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The Old Federal Building
It was completed in 1903 and served as the Post Office from 1906 - 1965. The three story (plus basement) building was constructed at an original cost of $78,000 with a floor space in excess of 20,000 sq ft. It was constructed of hard-burned, dark . . . — Map (db m141866) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The People's National Bank
It was constructed shortly after 1900. Henry Starr, a well known outlaw & nephew of Belle Starr, attempted to rob the bank here in 1921. He was shot & killed by JW Myers, a former bank president, with a rifle hidden inside the vault. It was recorded . . . — Map (db m141629) HM
Arkansas (Bradley County), Warren — F-17 — Bradley County Court House
The first temporary court house in Bradley County was erected on this site in 1842, two years after the creation of the county, and continued in use until 1858, when a court house built of brick was erected. — Map (db m121054) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — 85 South Main Street

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m90670) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Avarana

Resort home built 1899 by William Henry Reid of Chicago. Architect Theodore C. Link of St. Louis. Design reflects simplicity favored at end of Victorian era. Upper floors are wood with verandas on four sides. Lower floor is Beaver Limestone. In . . . — Map (db m80118) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room

Ellis Murphy established Murphy's Firestone Tire Service at this site about 1923. Called "Murphy the Tire Man", his services were frequently required to patch inner tubes and repair tires for hundred[s] of automobiles bringing tourists to . . . — Map (db m90706) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Eastview Cottage

Eastview is situated adjacent to Harding Spring on a lot originally registered by Absalom M. Thomas after the town site survey of 1879. John E. and Bell Perrin purchased the lot and residence in October, 1881, then sold to David R. and Harriett . . . — Map (db m80140) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Three Flat-Irons
The original Flat-Iron Building was constructed within sight of Basin Springs in the year 1880. It housed the town's first banking establishment and was the first structure made of brick among hundreds of wood buildings. The unusual three-sided, . . . — Map (db m63302) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
Third courthouse on this site. Bid for construction of a new courthouse was let in 1905 for $58,631. Designed by W.S. Hull and built of blond brick with stone detailing, it is considered an example of second renaissance revival architecture. . . . — Map (db m121341) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m121408) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Courthouse
The companies of soldiers that came out of Van Buren were formed at this historic landmark. It is also the site where some infantry and Calvary units camped and drilled. There were nine different companies that were formed in Crawford County. . . . — Map (db m96864) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Gone but not forgotten
There is no doubt that other structures, demolished at some point in the family's history, stood on the Drennen-Scott property. Like many wealthy 19th-century households, this one had privies, a well, smokehouse, carriage house, . . . — Map (db m120515) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden Bank & Trust CompanyErected 1919 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
The Crittenden Bank & Trust, the town’s third bank, began operation January 9, 1909, replacing the Bank of Marion which had failed in 1908. Three other short-lived banks were housed in this building. The last banking operation here was that of . . . — Map (db m116727) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Margaret E. Woolfolk LibraryErected 2001 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Woolfolk is author of The History of Marion and History of Crittenden County, an award-winning newspaper editor, graduated from Memphis State Law School in 1985 at the age of 68, entered into private practice, and served as Marion . . . — Map (db m116783) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion HotelErected 1911 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Designed and built by Major Moore for Thomas Koser, the building was completed December of 1911. The building, which is constructed of native hardwoods, brick and concrete, had pressed tin ceilings and hardwood floors. The hotel had its own water . . . — Map (db m116726) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School Auditorium-GynamnasiumErected 1938 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
When classrooms were carved out of the second floor auditorium space in the first high school. Marion students and the entire community used a tabernacle built in 1924 on the south side of the high school for events requiring an auditorium. When the . . . — Map (db m116777) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — Old Tulip School House1902 - 1944
Has been placed on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places by Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. — Map (db m121334) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cadron Blockhouse
The blockhouse is a replica of a structure that was built on this site in the late 18th century. The building was a multiple use structure, but constructed originally for defense purposes. It was used as a trading post, as a residence, and as a . . . — Map (db m96645) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — B-13 — Franklin County Court House
Ozark was designated as the county seat of Franklin County in 1837, and the first court house in the county was erected on this site in 1838. — Map (db m120001) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Bathhouse RowHot Springs National Park
The buildings along Bathhouse Row are the latest stage in a succession of bathhouses. In the 1830s Hot Springs’ earliest facilities were makeshift shelters perched over individual springs. Later, elaborate Victorian bathhouses flourished along the . . . — Map (db m61774) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs Intracity Transit National Historic Register
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. Department of Arkansas Heritage. — Map (db m130032) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lamar BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The present masonry Lamar Bathhouse, completed in 1923, has a symmetrical, California style of architecture. The large lobby contains nostalgic murals of historic landscapes, and country scenes. Art Deco stairs, signs, and lights decorated the . . . — Map (db m61777) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Ozark BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The mission style of the Ozark Bathhouse may relate to the claim that Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto visited the hot springs. The building’s twin towers are strictly decorative. On Bathhouse Row, the Quapaw, the Fordyce, and Hale Bathhouses, with . . . — Map (db m61794) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Quapaw BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The Caddo, Quapaw, and Choctaw tribes lived in or visited the area during the 1700s and 1800s. This edifice pays homage to their lasting influence. The owners named the bathhouse for the Quapaw Indians, and incorporated an Indian head design over . . . — Map (db m61795) HM
Arkansas (Hempstead County), Hope — William Jefferson ClintonFirst Home of the 42nd President of the United States
Dedicated March 12, 1999. Mike Huckabee Governor, Jim Hill State Senator, Sandra Rodgers State Representative. Major Benefactors-Century Tube, Inc, Swepco, Entergy, Sanyo Manufacturing Corp, Future Tech Intel, Nina Wang, Ben & Martha Bryant, Nissan . . . — Map (db m61796) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Independence County Office and Library
This building was constructed in 1904 by the federal government for the U.S. Post Office and the Batesville division of federal court for the Eastern District of Arkansas and was in use by federal agencies until 1974 when a new building was built a . . . — Map (db m70558) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jackson County CourthouseBuilt 1869 - 72
. . . — Map (db m116611) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Joseph Bonne Cabin
In 1818 a French trapper, Joseph Bonne landed on the south bank of the Arkansas River with his dog and gun near the location of the original Jefferson County Courthouse. Driven to this high bluff after flood waters had threatened his homesite at . . . — Map (db m30576) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Wilton — Mills Family Story
In the fall of 1851, three Mills brothers headed west, one by water, one by land and one to Texas. This brought Joel Mills wife, Kitura Burke Bird and family from Henderson Co., Tennessee to Sevier County, now known as Little River County. . . . — Map (db m121361) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Bank of Osceola
Built in 1909, the Bank of Osceola shared this building with various enterprises over the years, including a cotton brokerage firm and small movie theater. While much of the original architecture remains intact, four circular stone profiles of . . . — Map (db m36670) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Coston Building
Built in 1915, the ground floor of this building once housed a barber shop and, later a hardware store. J.T. Coston, a Vanderbilt-educated attorney representing R.E.L. Wilson's farming interests, maintained his offices upstairs and was instrumental . . . — Map (db m36453) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Drug Store
This corner building has been home to a drug store dating back to 1913. Once a two-story building with an elevated parapet and cornice, a fire in the early 1960s destroyed the second floor. The building's longest-running occupant is Newcomb's Drug . . . — Map (db m36669) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Florida Brothers Building
Thomas J. Florida established the Florida Brothers Company in 1926, supplying farm and home loans to families along the Cotton Highway. Mr. Florida built this Art Deco-influenced structure in 1935, featuring Indiana limestone. The building . . . — Map (db m36612) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mississippi County Bank
In a spot once home to the Mercantile Opera House, this Classical Revival-style building was built in 1936 as Mississippi County Bank, showcasing Italian marble and rich wood throughout. Continuing to finance farming interests, First National Bank, . . . — Map (db m36610) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Patterson Store
Established in 1904 the Fred G. Patterson Store was famous as a general mercantile, specializing in shoes and cotton pick sacks. A shoe at the entrance indicated the store was open for business. In 1993 the family donated the buildings for use as a . . . — Map (db m36425) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Planters Bank Building
The Neo-Classical style 1920 building, designed by noted architect Uzzell Branson, originally housed Citizens Bank, then, First State Bank, a mercantile store, and City Hall. A citizens group, including Congressman W.J. Driver, opened Planters Bank . . . — Map (db m36702) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — WPA Post Office
The Works Progress Administration built this building, dedicated on May 29, 1936, as a new post office. The structure served the citizens of Osceola and the Cotton Highway as a post office until the Postal Service relocated to Johnson Street. . . . — Map (db m36616) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Life Under Union Occupation
After the Union army arrived in July 1862, Helena was no longer part of the Confederacy. It was in Union hands and the Union commander made law and policy. The Moore-Hornor Home across the street was one of many in Helena seized by the Union army. . . . — Map (db m108030) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Live at the Opera House
Traveling road shows, vaudeville, dog-and-pony shows, mind readers, magicians, bell ringers and boxing matches-they all appeared live at Helena's Grand Opera House. In the days before radio, movies and television live entertainment was king. . . . — Map (db m107996) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The American Legion Hut
Richard L. Kitchens Post No. 41 of the American Legion World War I veterans founded the American Legion, a charitable organization, in 1919. That year, Helena's veterans founded Richard L. Kitchens Post No. 41. The name honors a . . . — Map (db m108000) HM
Arkansas (Pike County), Murfreesboro — B-16 — Pike County Court House
The first court house in Pike County, built of logs, was erected on the site of the town of Murfreesboro, which was laid out as a site for the county seat in 1833. — Map (db m121284) HM
Arkansas (Pope County), Pottsville — Potts Inn
Kirkbride Potts, with help from his wife Pamelia Logan Potts, designed and constructed this large and stately building between 1850 and 1858. He patterned it after the Classical Revival style he knew in his home state of Pennsylvania; however, he . . . — Map (db m120871) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The Little Rock Arsenal
Shortly after Arkansas was admitted to the Union in 1836, the Federal government established the Little Rock Arsenal for the storage of munitions and weapons in defense of the frontier. Eventually, more than thirty buildings were constructed on this . . . — Map (db m117241) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — The Gann Building
Built in 1893, the office of Dr. Dewell Gann, Sr. is the only known bauxite building in existence. The building was constructed by patients who could not afford to pay for services he had rendered them. The soft stone was dug from a farm nearby, . . . — Map (db m96597) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Commissary
This building, on the N.W. bastion of the wall, was the commissary of the fort. Built in 1839, used until 1871 when the fort was abandoned as a military post. From 1861-65 it served as a hospital, guard house, and refuge, now a museum. Erected . . . — Map (db m57921) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company300 Garrison Avenue
This facade is all the remains of the five story building occupied from 1907 to 1955 by Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company. The building subsequently served Checker Transfer & Storage Company from 1957 thru 1988 as well as other tenants . . . — Map (db m57919) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Fishback Block in 1872

In 1870, ground was broken for the three-story Fishback Block on the site of Jeremiah Kannady's blacksmith shop which manufactured Bowie knives for the Confederate Army. The builder, future Gov. William Meade Fishback (1831-1903), named the . . . — Map (db m57918) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903
The first mention of this property is from 1838 when it was part of the brickyard that manufactured bricks to build the second Fort Smith. In 1877 the City Hotel was built here. In 1897, identical buildings were constructed to house the W.J. Murphy . . . — Map (db m57917) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — El Dorado Masonic Temple
El Dorado Masonic Temple has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Erected 1924 — Map (db m121976) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — First Union County Courthouse
. . . — Map (db m121964) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — D-38 — Union County Second Courthouse
This marks the site of the second court house built in Union County. Completed May 1st, 1848. The spot was originally a pond where ducks gathered in season. Emigrants in search of home sites frequently camped alongs its banks. It was filled in under . . . — Map (db m121292) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Guisinger Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m59895) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Mrs. Young Block
. . . — Map (db m59903) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Reiff House1834 - 1951
This Ante-Bellum Home was built on land granted to Washington County by an Act of Congress to build a court house, entitled “An Act for the Relief of Fayetteville, in the Territory of Arkansas,” and signed June 26, 1834 by . . . — Map (db m59911) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — The Stone House
This house was built in 1845 by Judge David Walker. He sold it in 1850 to Stephen K. Stone, whose family lived here during and after the Civil War. A solid shot from Fagan’s Confederate Battery on October 3, 1864 pierced the west wall of the . . . — Map (db m59910) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Historic Wall
The circular stone wall that encloses the Battle Monument is built of stones from historic structures of Washington County. Some 40 communities are represented, including the pioneer settlements at Cane Hill, Cincinnati, Viney Grove, Rhea's Mill, . . . — Map (db m35360) HM

65 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020