Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Forts or Castles Historical Markers

 
<i>Back of </i> Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, April 29, 2014
Back of Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation Marker
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation(Old Fort Sumner, 1862 – 1869)
The U.S. Army established Fort Sumner in 1862 as a supply and control point for the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation. About 10,000 Navajo were forcibly relocated from the Four-Corners Region during the tragic march known as the Long Walk. About 500 . . . — Map (db m73718) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Bosque Redondo Indian ReservationFort Sumner 1862 - 1868
You are entering the grounds of historic Fort Sumner, headquarters of the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation. Over 400 Mescalero Apache and 7,000 Navajo were held here as prisoners of war. The museum tells their stories. — Map (db m145060) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Fort Sumner
Population 1,250 – Elevation 4,028 ft. Named for the fort built in 1862 to guard the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation, the town of Fort Sumner grew out of settlements clustering around the Maxwell family properties. It moved to its . . . — Map (db m73721) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Fort Sumner
Population 1,250 – Elevation 4,028 ft. Named for the fort built in 1862 to guard the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation, the town of Fort Sumner grew out of settlements clustering around the Maxwell family properties. It moved to its . . . — Map (db m73722) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Old Fort Sumner and “Billy the Kid’s” Grave
Fort Sumner was established in 1862 to guard the Navajo and Apaches on the Bosque Redondo reservation. It was discontinued as a military post in 1868 and the buildings and site sold to Lucien B. Maxwell. William "Billy the Kid" Bonney was killed . . . — Map (db m73713) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Hatch — HatchPopulation 1,028  -  Elevation 4,055
Originally established as Santa Barbara in 1851, Apache raids drove the settlers away until 1853 when nearby Fort Thorn was established. Abandoned again in 1860 after the fort closed, it was reoccupied in 1875 and re-named for General Edward Hatch, . . . — Map (db m24745) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Las Cruces — Fort Selden State Monument1865-1891
Fort Selden was established to protect settlers and railroad construction crews in the Mesilla Valley and the Jornada del Muerto from Apaches. The first regular army troops to garrison it were four companies of the black 125th Infantry. General . . . — Map (db m45085) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Mesilla — Head Quarters, Dept. of New MexicoFort Fillmore, Nov. 15th, 1854
I. The laws of the United States having been extended by proclamation over the Mesilla Valley and the territory recently acquired from the Republic of Mexico, the undersigned as military Commander of the same directs that Lt. Colonel Miles 3rd . . . — Map (db m6991) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Mesilla — La Posta de Mesilla
This is the original La Posta. The only station that remains standing on the Butterfield Trail. For more than a century and three quarters, these old adobe walls have withstood the attack of elements and men and have sheltered such personalities as . . . — Map (db m126894) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Mesilla — The Gadsden Purchase Celebration
The Gadsden Purchase celebration held at Mesilla New Mexico in 1854.                         By A. J. Fountain Sr.Map (db m6992) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Bayard — Fort Bayard
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark For the important role it played in the military and medical history of southwest New Mexico This fort possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States . . . — Map (db m38303) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Fort Bayard - 1866-1900Fort Bayard National Cemetery
One of the several posts created on the Apache frontier, Fort Bayard protected the Pinos Altos mining district. Company B of the black 125th Infantry served here, as did Lt. John J. Pershing. In 1900 the fort became a military hospital, and today . . . — Map (db m38226) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — Fort Stanton1855-1896
Fort Stanton, named for Captain Henry Stanton, was established to control the Mescalero Apaches. It was burned and evacuated by Union troops in 1861, held briefly by the Confederates, and then reoccupied by Colonel Kit Carson for the Union in 1862. . . . — Map (db m45954) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — Fort Stanton
Established Apr., 1855 by Brig. Gnl. Garland. Named for Capt. Stanton, killed near here in fighting Apaches. One of several forts controlling Indians and aiding westward migration. Partly destroyed, 1861, before a Confederate approach, reoccupied . . . — Map (db m45955) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Barracks / Dining HallBuilding 6
Photo etching caption: Soldiers of the 10th Infantry Co. E in front of the barracks in 1892 This building, like most, has been modified numerous times to suit the needs of the entities that managed it. Originally built in 1855 as a . . . — Map (db m86182) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Chapel
The Catholic chapel was originally built in 1913 on a wing of building 11 across the parade ground. In 1938, buildings 10, 11 and 12 were demolished, but the chapel was left free standing. A new stone façade was added to the old chapel consisting . . . — Map (db m85868) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Commanding Officer's QuartersBuilding 1
During the Army era, the fort’s commander and his family lived in this beautiful stone structure. During the Hospital’s tenure, it was the residence of the Medical Officer in Charge. Over the years, it is the only building that has remained . . . — Map (db m86089) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Commissary WarehouseBuilding 12
Photo etchings caption: Building 12, torn down in 1930, was actually attached to Building 13. When it was taken down, a chunk of the roof fell into a lady’s bedroom. Originally built in 1855 of adobe, the building that occupied this . . . — Map (db m86189) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Community House
This beautiful building was constructed in 1931 for use by civilian employees of the hospital (and their families) for social activities. Patients utilized the ‘Seaman’s Social Club’ located just to the west of this building. In most aspects of life . . . — Map (db m133552) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Administration BuildingBuilding 9
This building, like most others on the parade ground, was first constructed in 1855 as a single story, stone structure. It included an Adjutant’s office, library, and guard house. Later remodels added a second floor and arched porch. It was known as . . . — Map (db m85802) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton
Named for Captain Henry W. Stanton, Fort Stanton was established May 4, 1855 as a military fort to protect settlers from Apache attacks. Operated as a military fortification until 1896, it played a part in the Civil War, was the first Tuberculosis . . . — Map (db m119454) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton Medical Center
Established in Eighteen Hundred Fifty Five as a fort and cavalry post to control Geronimo’s Mescalero Apaches. Named after Captain Henry W. Stanton, First United States Dragoons, who was killed in action with the Indians. By a Presidential . . . — Map (db m121962) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — GuardhouseBuilding 8
James Dolan, Emil Fritz, W.W. Martin and Lawrence Murphy established a business that would become the focus of the Lincoln County War. Fritz and Murphy (and possibly Dolan) served at Fort Stanton as soldiers. Originally built of adobe in 1879, . . . — Map (db m85804) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Hospital AdministrationBuilding 7
T.B. Patients in front of the hospital administration building. This building was constructed of local stone by troops of the 1st Dragoons and 8th Infantry as a barracks in 1855. It was utilized in that capacity until the fort was closed by the . . . — Map (db m85808) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — L.G. Murphy Sutler Store
On the site located 100 yards west of this sign resided the L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (the post trader). Begun in 1866 by Lawrence G. Murphy and Emil Fritz (both former Dragoons stationed at Fort Stanton), it was a large, rambling, adobe structure of . . . — Map (db m123794) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — New Hospital(Site of Building 5)
This new hospital building replaced the old tubercular hospital (buildings 10 and 11) in 1936. It was state of the art when constructed and boasted a bed capacity of 85 patients and the first elevator in the state of New Mexico. Doctors that . . . — Map (db m85869) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Nurse's QuartersSite of Building 11
This building was constructed in 1940 on the site of building 11 (formerly barracks and then the original tubercular hospital). While it does not match the style or construction of most of the original fort buildings, it does reflect the Territorial . . . — Map (db m85923) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer’s QuartersBuilding 4
Constructed in 1855, this building was originally a single story complex of four quarters for officers and their families. It has evolved over time to be more spacious and comfortable with a second story, bay windows and covered porches. Seen in the . . . — Map (db m86307) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer's QuartersBuilding 3
This building was constructed in 1883 of adobe. It was designed to house two officers and their families. During the hospital years, it was used as doctor’s housing, boasting two finely appointed apartments. What a privilege it was to be . . . — Map (db m85928) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer's QuartersBuilding 13
Built in 1855, as a single story, gabled roof structure of simple design and construction, this building housed officers and their families. It was here that 2nd Lieutenant John J. Pershing was quartered in 1887 and where he met his future wife. On . . . — Map (db m86734) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Stables and Corrals
Corrals have stood on this site since 1855. The current rock corrals were built in 1877 to replace older ones that burned. These structures housed horses and mules necessary for Cavalry and freighting operations. When the hospital took over Fort . . . — Map (db m85775) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — TB Tent Cottages
On these terraces were located 40 – 70 tent cottages that housed ambulatory tuberculosis patients between 1900 and 1963. These two man cottages had roll up canvas sides that were kept open for the fresh air regarded as essential to curing . . . — Map (db m85768) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Col. Dudley's Camping Place
Encamped a few yards away on July 19, 1878 were U.S. troops from Fort Stanton. Allegedly brought to protect lives and property, their presence quickened Murphy party into firing McSween's residence and pillaging the Tunstall store. — Map (db m45989) HM
New Mexico (McKinley County), Red Rock — Fort Wingate
The first Fort Wingate was established near San Rafael in 1862, to serve as the base of Col. Kit Carson's campaigns against the Navajos. In 1868 the garrison was transferred to the second Fort Wingate near Gallup. In that same year, the Navajos . . . — Map (db m36538) HM
New Mexico (Mora County), Watrous — Fort Union National Monument / Santa Fe Trail1851-1891
Side A: Fort Union National Monument 1851-1891 Once the largest post in the Southwest, Fort Union was established to control the Jicarilla Apaches and Utes, to protect the Santa Fe Trail, and to serve as a supply depot for . . . — Map (db m45829) HM
New Mexico (Quay County), Tucumcari — Fort Bascom1863 - 1870
Built under Brigadier General James H. Carleton. First Post Commander Captain Peter W.L. Plympton with Company F, 7th U.S. Infantry and Company 1st New Mexico Volunteer Cavalry. Named after Captain George N. Bascom, 16th U.S. Infantry. Officers . . . — Map (db m63510)
New Mexico (Quay County), Tucumcari — Fort Bascom1863-1870
Fort Bascom was built to protect this area from Comanches. In 1864, Kit Carson led a campaign against the Comanches, as did General Philip Sheridan in 1868. The fort was also established to control the Comancheros, New Mexicans involved in illegal . . . — Map (db m93198) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Tierra Amarilla — Fort Lowell
Fort Lowell was established in 1866 to protect the Tierra Amarilla area settlements from the Southern Utes. Originally named Camp Plummer this post was garrisoned by a detachment of New Mexico Volunteers, some of whose descendants live in the area. . . . — Map (db m74255) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Fort Union National Monument1851-1891 — 18 Miles —
Once the largest post in the Southwest, Fort Union was established to control the Jicarilla Apaches and Utes, to protect the Santa Fe Trail, and to serve as a supply depot for other New Mexico forts. The arrival of the railroad and the pacification . . . — Map (db m55197) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — El Palacio Real
Fortress and Castle built by order of the Spanish crown 1610-1612 Seat of Government under three flags–Spanish, Mexican & American- From 1610 to 1910 the residence of over a hundred Governors & Captains General The . . . — Map (db m45588) HM
New Mexico (Socorro County), Socorro — Fort Craig
Fort Craig was established in 1853 and garrisoned in 1854 with troops from Fort Conrad located about nine miles north. Named after Capt. Louis S. Craig, it was used to control Indian raids along the Jornada del Muerto. Troops from Fort Craig were . . . — Map (db m45130) HM
New Mexico (Socorro County), White Sands Proving Grounds — McDonald Ranch House Trinity SiteNational Historic Landmark — 1972 —
Restored by US Army White Sands Missile Range US Department of Energy National Park Service 1984 In the front room of this humble ranch house the world's first nuclear device was assembled on 13 July 1945. The device was then taken to Trinity . . . — Map (db m15072) HM

42 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020