Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Notable Places Historical Markers

 
Tijeras Canyon Marker image, Touch for more information
By Maribeth Robison, May 11, 2013
Tijeras Canyon Marker
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Tijeras — Tijeras Canyon
The pass between the Sandia and Manzano Mountains has been a natural route of travel between eastern New Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley since pre-historic times. Known as Cañon de Carnué in the spanish colonial period it takes it's present name . . . — Map (db m72732) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Waldrop Park
This site is named for Victor H. Waldrop and stewardship for is shared by the New Mexico Department of Transportation and local bird enthusiasts. Wind blown-sand deposited at the base of Mescalero Ridge forms a 60 mile expanse of open dunes and . . . — Map (db m73458) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Pueblo of Ácoma
Built atop a great mesa for defensive purposes, Ácoma has been continuously occupied since the 13th century. A dramatic battle between the Ácomas and Oñate's forces occurred here in 1599. The mission church of San Esteban was built between 1629 and . . . — Map (db m36502) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — El MalpaisNational Conservation Area — Bureau of Land Management —
Created December 31, 1987-Dedicated August 24, 1991. The El Malpais National Conservation Area (NCA) was the first area so designated by Congress in New Mexico. Congress established the NCA to conserve and protect the important geological, . . . — Map (db m100422) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — GrantsPopulation 11,451 Elevation 6500
Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast . . . — Map (db m36472) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — San Rafael
San Rafael, formerly know as El Gallo, is located at a spring near the Malpais, the great lave flow to the east. The area was visited by members of Vásquez de Coronado's expedition in 1540. In 1862, it was selected as the original site of Fort . . . — Map (db m36475) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Ramah — El Morro National Monument Inscription Rock
Until it was by-passed by the railroad in the 1880’s, its waterhole made El Morro an important stop for travelers in the Acoma- Zuni region. Numerous inscriptions carved in the sandstone date from the prehistoric, Spanish, Mexican, and . . . — Map (db m14129) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Anthony — Brazito Battlefield
One of the few battles of the Mexican War to be fought in New Mexico occured near here on Christmas Day, 1846. U.S. troops under Colonel Alexander W. Doniphan defeated a Mexican army commanded by General Antonio Ponce de León. Two days later, . . . — Map (db m6552) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Mesilla — Plaza de Mesilla
Conservation made possible by grants from United States Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration New Mexico American Revolution Bicentennial Commission and by matching funds from the Town of Mesilla and individual . . . — Map (db m6988) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Sunland Park — International Boundary and Water CommissionInternational Boundary Marker #1
[English Translation Marker:] The first international monument of the 276 monuments installed to the west along the international land boundary which marks the international boundary between the United States and Mexico. This monument . . . — Map (db m38105) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — Smugglers’ Trail
Smugglers once crossed this area with mule trains of contraband from Mexico, to be traded for merchandise in Arizona. In the summer of 1881, a group of Mexican smugglers was killed in Skeleton Canyon by members of the Clanton gang, including Old Man . . . — Map (db m37770) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — The Clanton Hideout
The infamous Clanton Gang had two crude dugouts here in the 1880s that served as hideouts and a base for wide-ranging outlaw activities, particularly in connection with the Curly Bill Gang’s depredations along the Smugglers’ Trail that passed by . . . — Map (db m37771) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — 480 — Smokey Bear Historical Park
This park commemorates Smokey Bear and describes the history and development of this national symbol of forest fire protection. The original Smokey is buried here within sight of the mountain where he was found orphaned by a fire raging in the . . . — Map (db m119757) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Hondo — Historic Lincoln, New Mexico
Just 10 miles west on US Highway 380 you will discover one of New Mexico’s hidden treasures, the town of Lincoln. Tucked away in the beautiful Bonito River Valley, Lincoln has barely changed since the Lincoln County War (1878-1881). Lincoln is . . . — Map (db m79141) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Hondo — San Patricio
This farming and ranching community was the scene of many events associated with the Lincoln County War. In July 1878, a posse ransacked the village while looking for William "Billy the Kid" Bonney and others of the faction known as the "Regulators" . . . — Map (db m46005) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Lincoln Historic DistrictNational Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m120329) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Ruidoso — Old Dowlin Mill
Part original structure. Famous landmark for 100 years. Originally grist and sawmill. Used as rendezvous by William H. Bonney (Billy, the Kid), Pat Garrett, Johnny Riley, J.J. Pershing (then Lt. at Ft. Stanton) and other historic figures. — Map (db m46014) HM
New Mexico (Luna County), Columbus — Columbus
Columbus was founded in 1891 as a U.S./Mexico border station but eventually coalesced around the railroad station three miles to the north in 1903. The area’s history is tied to a March 9, 1916, raid on Columbus by Mexican revolutionary leader . . . — Map (db m37778) HM
New Mexico (Luna County), Columbus — Columbus
Columbus was founded in 1891 as a U.S./Mexico border station but eventually coalesced around the railroad station three miles to the north in 1903. The area’s history is tied to a March 9, 1916, raid on Columbus by Mexican revolutionary leader . . . — Map (db m37780) HM
New Mexico (Luna County), Deming — Rockhound State Park
Located on the rugged slopes of the Florida Mountains, this is one of the most unusual parks in the nation. Here "rockhounds" are encouraged to take home samples (up to 15 pounds) of rocks and minerals. The park also offers camping and picnicking . . . — Map (db m72718) HM
New Mexico (McKinley County), Gallup — GallupPopulation 18,161 - Elevation 6600 ft
Long a major trading center for the Navajo and Zuni Indians living in communities north and south of the town. Gallup emerged in 1881 from a railroad construction camp. It is named for David Gallup, who in 1880 was paymaster for the Atlantic & . . . — Map (db m36541) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Alamogordo — Dog Canyon(Cañon Del Perro)
For the Mescalero Apache, Dog Canyon was a favorite camping area and trail through the Sacramento Mountains. It was the scene of several battles in the 19th century. In 1863 a group of Mescaleros was attacked by soldiers, and the survivors were sent . . . — Map (db m72719) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers
Located in the Tularosa Basin east of the great lava flows known as the malpais, Three Rivers was once prominent in the cattle empires of Albert Bacon Fall, John S. Chisum, and Susie McSween Barber, “the cattle queen of New Mexico.” . . . — Map (db m46039) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers Petroglyph Site
Inhabitants of a nearby village made the Three Rivers Petroglyphs (rock carvings) over 600 years ago. Over 20,000 petroglyphs have been identified in the area. The people were of the Jornada Mogollon (hor-NAH-da muggy-OWN) prehistoric Indian . . . — Map (db m46042) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers Petroglyphs
Three miles to the east is a mile-long array of pictures pecked into the solid rock walls of a volcanic ridge. They include both geometric and animal forms. They were likely made by prehistoric Mogollón Indians between ca. A.D. 1000 and 1400. — Map (db m46040) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Tularosa
The Tularosa Basin has been occupied by Indian groups for thousands of years. The first Hispanic settlers moved here from the Rio Grande Valley in 1862. Anglo settlers and cattlemen began moving into the region in the 1870s. The original 1862 . . . — Map (db m46072) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), San Juan Pueblo (Ohkay Owingeh) — San GabrielOn the Camino Real
Governor Juan de Oñate set up his headquarters in San Juan Pueblo in 1598, but by 1601 he had moved the Spanish capital across the Rio Grande to Yuque-Yunque Pueblo. Named San Gabriel, it served as the seat of government until 1610, when Oñate's . . . — Map (db m32877) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Aztec — AztecPopulation 5512 - Elevation 5460 ft.
Aztec, named for the nearby National Monument, was founded in 1876 when portions of the Jicarilla Apache Reservation were opened for non Indian settlement. It is the seat of San Juan County, which was created in 1887 partially as a response to the . . . — Map (db m36464) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Bloomfield — City of Bloomfield
Prehistoric farmers established major communities along the rivers of this region in the eleventh century. Eight hundred years later, historic settlement was also made possible by abundant water. Bloomfield was established in 1879 near a site which . . . — Map (db m36460) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Bloomfield — Salmon Ruin
In the late 11th century, influence from Chaco Canyon, 45 miles south of here, began to be felt at this site and at nearby Aztec Ruins National Monument. The Chacoans abandoned this large and well-built masonry pueblo by 1150, and shortly . . . — Map (db m36457) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Farmington — Bisti Wilderness
The highly scenic badlands of the Bisti were created by the erosion and weathering of interbedded shale, sandstone and coal formations into unusual forms. The area is also rich in fossil flora and fauna. 3,946 acres of the Badlands were designated a . . . — Map (db m52706) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Farmington — FarmingtonPopulation 30,792 Elevation 5395 ft
Until 1876 this area comprised part of the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. Anglo settlement quickly began at the confluence of the San Juan, Animas, and La Plata Rivers. Farmington became a ranching and farming area and, later, an important producer . . . — Map (db m36469) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Shiprock — New Mexico(Four Corners)
In 1868, U.S. Surveyor Ehud N. Darling surveyed the 37 parallel of latitude to establish the territorial boundary of Colorado and New Mexico. He placed specially marked stones at intervals along the surveyed line that started at the northeast corner . . . — Map (db m36529) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Temple Montefiore, Las Vegas, New Mexico
Site of the First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in New Mexico moved to this site — Map (db m134320) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Sapello — Hermit’s PeakElevation– 10,212
From 1863 to 1867, this mountain was the home of Juan Maria Agostini, an Italian penitent who lived there as a hermit, carving crucifixes and religious emblems which he traded for food. Leaving this area, he moved to the Organ Mountains, in southern . . . — Map (db m73309) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Sapello — Strike Valleys
Between Sapello and Mora, State Road 3 follows a narrow strike valley eroded into soft shale between ridges of resistant sandstone called hogbacks, both the result of uplift of the Rocky Mountains. To the east stretch the Great Plains, and to the . . . — Map (db m73283) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Trujillo — Canadian Escarpment
Prominent landform of north-eastern New Mexico that extends for almost 100 miles between Las Vegas and Clayton. From this point, the grass-lands of the High Plains reach northwestward to the foot of the . . . — Map (db m144177) HM
New Mexico (Sandoval County), Algodones — La Angostura
Near here the Rio Grande Valley closes into a narrow pass (angostura). Control of this pass was critical to the safety of the trade along the Camino Real, so this area has been the focus of fortifications since the early 17th century. The 18th . . . — Map (db m32800) HM
New Mexico (Sandoval County), Bernalillo — Pueblo of Santa Ana
The Keres-speaking pueblo of Santa Ana was established on its present site in 1693, as part of Diego de Vargas' reconquest of New Mexico. The spot, exposed to flooding, was poorly suited for farming, and today the residents live on their farms along . . . — Map (db m32843) HM
New Mexico (Sandoval County), Cuba — Continental DivideElevation - 7,379 feet
Rainfall divides at this point. To the west it drains into the Pacific Ocean, to the east, into the Atlantic — Map (db m73666) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 19 — 1985 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
By proclamation of the City Council, Santa Fe celebrated its 375th anniversary. During the year, this property was donated to the city by Archbishop Robert Sanchez and the Santa Fe Fiesta Council. These gifts, together with appropriations by the . . . — Map (db m76319) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 20 — To the Future — Commemorative Walkway Park —
T O   T H E   F U T U R E — Map (db m76321) HM
New Mexico (Sierra County), Lake Valley — Lake ValleyNational Back Country Byway — From Riches to Ruins —
Why is it called Lake Valley? The town was originally located north of here, and during the 1870's derived its name from nearby relic lake beds. At that time it was just a small stage stop. That location was flooded, and the small settlement was . . . — Map (db m97440) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Willard — Laguna Del PerroElevation 6,110 FT
Numerous salt ponds and lakes of which Laguna del Perro is the largest, occur in the lowest part of the Estancia basin, a closed depression between the Manzano Mountains to the west and the lower Pedernal hills to the east. The Basin was filled by a . . . — Map (db m75513) HM
New Mexico (Union County), Capulin — Making A Monument
The late 1800s were a time of homesteading and private acquisition of public lands. Conservationists began working to preserve some public lands like Yellowstone and Yosemite. In 1891, the General Land Office of the Department of the Interior . . . — Map (db m89224) HM
New Mexico (Union County), Capulin — The Raton-Clayton Volcanic Field
This region of volcanic activity is the Raton-Clayton Volcanic Field. It has been active periodically, beginning at the western edge of the field with the Raton Phase from 9 to 3 million years ago. The Capulin Phase began about 1 million years ago . . . — Map (db m89228) HM
New Mexico (Union County), Capulin — Welcome to Capulin Volcano National Monument
Capulin Volcano directly in front of you is a dramatic example of the volcanic processes that shaped northeastern New Mexico. Capulin Volcano National Monument preserves this classic cinder cone. About 60,000 years ago thunderous explosions sent . . . — Map (db m89223) HM

47 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020