Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Education Historical Markers

327 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 127
 
Samuel A. Harbison<br>Founder of Harbison College image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott
Samuel A. Harbison
Founder of Harbison College
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Harbison College President's Home
The National Register of Historic Places: Harbison College President's Home — Map (db m37607) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Abbeville CountyRich in History and Natural Resources
Named after the city in France, Abbeville County has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The town of Abbeville, the county seat, is known for its quaint tree-lined square with bricked streets; the famous 1908 historic Opera House and its . . . — Map (db m14843) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Angela Marlow NewtonClass of 1995
The initial gift and a substantial contribution toward the construction of this sign were donated by members of the Class of 1995 as a memorial to their classmate, Angela Marlow Newton, whose untimely death in her senior year at Erskine College . . . — Map (db m12098) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Bryson College MemorialLiving Water
In gratitude for the lasting benefits Bryson College provided for so many students, her Alumni and Friends have provided this Memorial Fountain to perpetuate the "Associate Reformed Presbyterian College in the West." This fountain is dedicated in . . . — Map (db m14782) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Camp-Walker Plaza
Given to the Camp-Younts Foundation and Harry W. Walker In honor of the Camp family's commitment to Erskine. — Map (db m14896) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — 1-6 — Due West
As early as 1765 the site 6 miles NW known to the Indians as Yellow Water, where the Keowee Path crossed the Cherokee line, was called DeWitt's Corner. In 1777 a treaty between S.C. and the Cherokee Indians was signed there. The present town was . . . — Map (db m10602) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Erskine CollegeSouth Carolina's First Four-Year Church-Related College
Erskine College was founded in 1839 by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church as South Carolina's first four-year church-related college. The college grew out of an academy for men established in 1835 and seminary founded two years later at . . . — Map (db m14793) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Rev. J.I. Bonner Monument
Southwest Side: Founder of the Due West Female College and for near twenty two years its President 1859-1881 Northeast Side: Erected By the Alumnae and affectionately inscribed to the Memory of . . . — Map (db m15790) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — William Moffatt Grier
Citizen, Soldier, Educator, Servant of Christ. Born Feb. 11, 1843 Died Sept. 3, 1899. President of Erskine College from 1871 to 1899. His service is measured not by years but by results. He still lives in hundreds of useful . . . — Map (db m14835) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–16 — Aiken Institute
The Aiken Institute, which gave this area the name of “Institute Hill,” was chartered in 1888. The main building, designed by I.F. Goodrich in 1891, includes a wing added in 1913. All grades attended the Institute until 1937, when a . . . — Map (db m9942) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-19 — Schofield School
This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon . . . — Map (db m28821) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2–18 — Downer Institute & School / Downer School, 1924–1986
Downer Institute & School Downer Institute, founded in 1843, was originally located 1.5 mi. NE of this site and operated until 1865. It was named for benefactor Alexander Downer (1752–1820), whose will established an orphanage and school . . . — Map (db m9994) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Warrenville — 2-28 — Jacksonville School / Jacksonville Lodge
Jacksonville School Jacksonville School, built by the Jacksonville Lodge in 1895, taught the black children of this community until 1936. Grades 1-7, with two teachers, met in two classrooms on the first floor, without electricity or running . . . — Map (db m31175) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Warrenville — 2-34 — Jefferson High School / Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr.
Jefferson High School Jefferson High School opened in 1956 as a junior high and high school for African-American students of Beech Island, Belvedere, Graniteville, Jackson, Langley-Bath-Clearwater, and North Augusta, with Herman W.W. Fennell . . . — Map (db m31675) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Boys' High School
This archway formerly stood at the entrance to Anderson Boys' High School "Home of the Yellow Jackets" Anderson Boys' High School was located on this site. The school educated many of our city's young men from the year . . . — Map (db m59359) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Denmark Hall
This building constructed in 1912 is named in honor of Dr. Annie Dove Denmark associated with Anderson College for 36 years, serving as President of the college from 1928-1953. Dr. Denmark was a resident of this dormitory during . . . — Map (db m19738) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Frierson School Houseca. 1886
Miss Sarah Jane (Janie) Frierson was a well known educator and the daughter of Dr. David Frierson, an early pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Anderson. Miss Frierson opened her one room school in the late 1880s. One room schools of this . . . — Map (db m42189) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Girls High School
The Anderson County Museum is situated on the former site of Anderson Girls High School. The original structure, an imposing multi-story brick building, was built in 1918. At that time, both boys and girls attended the school known as Anderson . . . — Map (db m42249) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — McDuffie High School"Home of the Fighting Scots"
McDuffie High School stood proudly at this location from 1964 until 1996. Serving Anderson as a comprehensive vocational high school, McDuffie enrollment averaged 1000 students each year it was open. Many of Anderson's current . . . — Map (db m59360) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Pratt Hall
This building constructed in 1912 is named in honor of Dr. and Mrs. R.N. Pratt Outstanding Teachers at Anderson College Dr. Pratt - 1922-1927 Mrs. Pratt - 1922-1946 — Map (db m19745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Site of First African American High School in Anderson CountyReed Street High School
After another high school was built, Reed Street High was renamed Perry Elementary School. Perry Elementary later became known as Perry Child Development Center. This memorial is dedicated to the students teachers and principals who were a . . . — Map (db m60542) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Sullivan Music Building
This building was donated to Anderson College in 1914 by Mr. Charles S. Sullivan, Sr. to be used as the President's Home. In 1965 it was renovated to serve as the music building. — Map (db m19804) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Greeley Institute1870 - 1954
The Horace Greeley Institute Trust was established in 1870 in the name of abolitionist Horace Greeley. Because the trust was to be used for the advancement of the education of "Freedmen and their Children," a school, known as the Greeley Institute, . . . — Map (db m61078) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center
In Memory of Henry Hitt Watkins 1866-1947 and Maude Wakefield Watkins 1870-1963 This building was made possible through the generosity of Judge and Mrs. Watkins, the South Carolina Baptist Convention, and other dedicated friends . . . — Map (db m19816) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The J.E. Rouse Dormitory
Erected 1962-63 Named in honor of Dr. John Edward Rouse Baptist Leader, Friend of Youth Champion of Education President of Anderson College 1957-73 This dormitory is named to honor him in grateful recognition of his . . . — Map (db m19829) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-11 — University Hill
Three educational institutions have been in this immediate area: Johnson Female University (1856-63) named for William Bullein Johnson; the Carolina Collegiate Institute (about 1866-90) under W. J. Ligon; and Patrick Military Institute . . . — Map (db m10524) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Vandiver HallWhyte House / White Building
Whyte House The west wing of this building was constructed in 1920 and is named in honor of James Primrose Whyte Dean and beloved Professor of Literature and Sociology at Anderson College from 1918 to 1922. John E. White . . . — Map (db m19784) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-12 — William Bullein Johnson1782 - 1862
President of Triennial Southern, South Carolina Baptist Conventions. Johnson Female University founded here in 1848 as Johnson Female Seminary was named for him because of his support for female education. From 1853 to 1858, while Chancellor of . . . — Map (db m10526) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Law WatkinsMeals on Wheels Center — Anderson County —
This facility was originally built in 1951 and was the cafeteria for the McCants Middle School. Renovation of the space for Meals on Wheels was completed in 2000 to allow for the expansion of the successful community program, which was begin in . . . — Map (db m59442) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Rocky River Baptist Association Headquarters1917 Union High School 1937
This building served as a classroom and dormitory for the former Union High School Dedicated "To The Glory of God" July 20, 1991 The Reverend R.H. Mitchell -- Moderator at Renovation Dr. Earl J. Mathis -- At Dedication . . . — Map (db m10752) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — 4-27 — Carnegie Library
Honea Path is the smallest town of the fourteen South Carolina communities with libraries funded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Dr. John Wright, Mayor John Humbert, and Miss Jennie Erwin were leaders in obtaining the $5000 grant. The Honea . . . — Map (db m10759) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-38 — "The Hundreds"
Front: This area was a hub of African-American life from the late-19th to mid-20th centuries. Anderson County Training School, built ca. 1922 as a Rosenwald school, closed in 1954 under the equalization program for black and white schools. . . . — Map (db m54824) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-24 — African American School Site
The one-room frame public school organized shortly after the Civil War, housed 76 students and 1 teacher by 1870. The school term lasted 1 month and 10 days. Jane Harris Hunter, founder of the Phillis Wheatley centers for working girls, attended . . . — Map (db m9647) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Dr. Don C. GarrisonPresident of Tri-County Technical College — November 1, 1971 - July 31, 2003 —
In recognition of Dr. Don C. Garrison for his thirty-two years of devoted service as the second president of the College for his dynamic leadership within the College, the State technical college system, and community colleges nationwide; for his . . . — Map (db m18857) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-4 — Farmers Hall
. . . — Map (db m9589) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-21 — Richard W. Simpson
Born in 1840, Colonel Simpson, lawyer, farmer, and legislator, drafted and executed Thomas Green Clemson's will, establishing Clemson Agricultural College in 1889. Simpson was first president of the college's board of trustees and once owned land . . . — Map (db m9682) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-17 — Thomas Green Clemson1807 - 1888
A native Philadelphian and leading agriculturist, Mr. Clemson was U.S. charge d'affaires to Belgium, U.S. Superintendent of Agriculture, and the 1868 president of Pendleton Farmers Society. He married the daughter of John C. Calhoun, Anna, . . . — Map (db m9681) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson
The paved brick walk leads to the gravesite of Thomas Green Clemson, founder of Clemson University. He was a Scientist, Agriculturist, Statesman, and educators. His gift to South Carolina of an Institution for the promotion of education in the . . . — Map (db m13938) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson Parkway
Dedicated in 1979 in Honor of Thomas Green Clemson 1807-1888 A Native Philadelphian and Leading Agriculturist. Mr. Clemson was U.S. Charge D'Affaires to Belgium, U.S. Superintendent of Agriculture, and the 1868 President . . . — Map (db m16617) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — 4-16 — Williamston Female College
This college was founded Feb. 12, 1872, by the Reverend Samuel Lander, D.D., Methodist minister. On this site stood the college building until 1939. The school was removed to Greenwood, S.C., Sept. 27, 1904, becoming Lander College, in honor of . . . — Map (db m8440) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston Municipal Center
This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston . . . — Map (db m19733) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — 5-4 — Carlisle Military School
SC Methodists began an institution on this site in 1892 naming it Carlisle Fitting School, for James H. Carlisle, president of Wofford College 1875-1902. It served as a coeducational preparatory institution for Wofford. Col. James F. Risher . . . — Map (db m26427) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Denmark — 5-6 — Voorhees College
[Front Text] Voorhees College, founded by Elizabeth Evelyn Wright in 1897 as the Denmark Industrial School, was an effort to emphasize a vocational curriculum for rural African American students on the model of the Tuskegee Institute. . . . — Map (db m19639) HM
South Carolina (Barnwell County), Boiling Springs — 6-8 — Boiling Springs Academy
[Marker Front]: Boiling Springs Academy was founded by the Boiling Springs Academical Society in 1823, with trustees Hansford Duncan, John Fowke, James Furse, William Gillette, Gideon Hagood, Frederick Hay, Lawrence Hext, James . . . — Map (db m8666) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-26 — Beaufort College
(Text front) Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening . . . — Map (db m8705) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-16 — Mather School
Shortly after the Civil War, Mather School was founded here by Rachel Crane Mather of Boston. In 1882 the Women's American Baptist Home Mission Society assumed support of the venture, operating it as a normal school for black girls. With some . . . — Map (db m6940) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — 7-29 — Michael C. Riley Schools
(Front text):This is the site of two schools that served the black community of southern Beaufort County for most of the twentieth century. Bluffton Graded School, a small frame building constructed about 1900, was followed in 1954 by an . . . — Map (db m5853) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse
The name Barrel Landing (also spelled Barrell) comes from a nearby docking and landing area on the Okatie River initially used by early settlers of the Okatie community in the period following the Revolutionary War. Farmers and tradesmen used the . . . — Map (db m15320) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-42 — Cherry Hill School
(Front) This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African-American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in personage of St. . . . — Map (db m104496) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Religion in Mitchelville/School in Mitchelville
Religion in Mitchelville Before Mitchelville was established, African slaves on the island congregated at impromptu religious services under trees. The churches built in Mitchelville were the center of religious, social, political, and . . . — Map (db m105172) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — 7-27 — Sheldon Union Academy
(Front): Sheldon Union Academy, later Sheldon School, opened in 1893 on this site and educated the black children of rural Sheldon community for almost fifty years. The original Sheldon Union Academy board, which founded and governed the . . . — Map (db m5785) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), St. Helena — 7-15 — Penn School
[front text] One of the first schools for blacks in the South, Penn School, was reorganized as Penn Normal, Industrial and Agricultural School in 1901. As a result of this change, incorporating principals of education found at both . . . — Map (db m20294) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), St. Helena Island — In Honor Of Edith M. Dabbs and James McBride Dabbs
In Honor Of Edith M. Dabbs for her work and leadership in preserving historic documents and photographs of Penn School and for her contributions as author of Face of an Island and Sea Island Diary and James McBride . . . — Map (db m13432) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Charleston — Star of the West
In the early dawn of January 9, 1861, the first shot of the War Between the States was fired from Morris Island by Citadel cadets under the command of Major Peter Fayssoux Stevens. The cadets opened fire with 24 pound siege guns on a Federal ship, . . . — Map (db m67853) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Charleston — The Citadel Bulldog
In memory of Major Sam M. Savas, Jr., CE, USA Citadel 1951 Died in Vietnam, 1965 In memory of Lt. Sam M. Savas, III, USN Naval Aviator Citadel 1979 Died in the service of his country October, 1985 — Map (db m67855) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-42 — Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School
(Front text) Howe Hall Plantation Howe Hall Plantation was established here by Robert Howe about 1683 and passed to his son Job Howe (d. 1706), Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly 1700-05. Later owned by such prominent lowcountry . . . — Map (db m28079) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-66 — Berkeley Training High School
(Front text) Berkeley Training High School, located here from 1955 to 1970, replaced a four-room wood school 1 mi. S at Main St. and Old U.S. Hwy. 52. That school, built in 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700, had been partially funded by the . . . — Map (db m41606) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-39 — Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School
[Front] Berkeley Training High School, first called Dixie Training School, stood here from 1920 until the 1980s. The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. It held classes in local churches until its first . . . — Map (db m29133) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-51 — St. Stephen Colored School / St. Stephen High School
(Marker Front)St. Stephen Colored School St. Stephen Colored School, the first public African American school in St. Stephen, was built here in 1924-25. A three-room frame building, it was one of almost 500 schools in S.C. funded in part . . . — Map (db m29334) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-67 — Burke High School
(Front text) This school, founded in 1910, was the first public high school for African-Americans in Charleston. It succeeded the Charleston Normal & Industrial School, a private school at Bogard & Kracke Streets, which had been founded . . . — Map (db m39621) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Burke High School1910 - 2010
Founded as a private school for elementary students in 1894 by Rev. John Dart at the corner of Bogard and Krake Streets, Charleston Normal and Industrial School was approved to become a public school for "colored" children in 1910 and opened at the . . . — Map (db m39754) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10 100 — Constitutional Convention of 1868
In January 1868 delegates met to rewrite the S.C. Constitution. They convened at the Charleston Club House, which once stood near here. Before the Civil War the Club House was reserved for Charleston's planter elite, but a majority of the delegates . . . — Map (db m115228) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Project SC 1233 FCollege of Charleston Gymnasium
The trustees of the College of Charleston laid the foundations of this building on the 21st day of December 1938 Erected by the City of Charleston with the aid of the income from the College Endowment it is dedicated to the physical well-being of . . . — Map (db m135493) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Jenkins Orphanage
In 1891 the Reverend Daniel J. Jenkins established a home and school for poor, black orphans and for children of poor, distressed and disabled parents. It was his desire "to train the minds and hands of young, black boys and girls so that they could . . . — Map (db m48701) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Riviera Theatre
The Riviera Theatre was constructed in 1939 by Albert Sottile, President of Pastime Amusement Company. The Art Deco architecture is in the Egyptian style. It served the Charleston community as a motion theatre until 1978. The theatre is . . . — Map (db m40015) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-97 — Septima Clark Birthplace
(side 1) Septima Poinsette Clark, who Martin Luther King Jr. called "the Mother of the Movement," was a nationally influential Civil Rights activist. She was born at 105 Wentworth St. on May 3, 1898 to Peter Poinsette, a former slave, and . . . — Map (db m133641) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Septima Poinsette Clark1898-1987 • Educator & Civil Rights Activist
Septima Poinsette Clark was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1898, the daughter of Victoria Anderson of Haiti and Peter Poinsette, who grew up enslaved on the plantation of Joel Roberts Poinsette. Clark earned a teacher's certificate from The . . . — Map (db m134228) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Septima Poinsette Clark 1898-1987
Native Charlestonian and daughter of a former lowcountry slave, Mrs. Septima Clark was a leader of the Civil Rights Movement. A graduate of Avery Normal Institute, Clark's first job was teaching African-American children on Johns Island. Her . . . — Map (db m64797) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-44 — The Parsonage / Miss Izard's School
The Parsonage“The Parsonage,” the home of Rev. James B. Middleton (1839-1918), stood here at 5 Short Court (now President’s Place) until 1916. Middleton and his siblings, born slaves, were taught to read and write by their father, . . . — Map (db m39449) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-85 — U.S. Courthouse and Post Office / Briggs V. Elliott
U.S. Courthouse and Post Office (side 1) This Renaissance Revival building, opened in 1896, is notable for its association with U.S. District Judge J. Waties Waring (1880-1968). Waring, a Charleston native who served here 1942 to 1952, . . . — Map (db m133659) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — Grice Marine Laboratory
The George D. Grice Marine Biological Laboratory In grateful appreciation of his forsight and tireless efforts which resulted in the establishment of this center for the study of and research in Marine Biology, the . . . — Map (db m58758) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Johns Island — 10-23 — Belvidere School Site
In 1898 Charleston County School District No. 11 bought this land from J. S. Hart and built a public school on the site soon after. School closed in the early 1920s. — Map (db m37020) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), McClellanville — 10-35 — Archibald Rutledge Birthplace
Side A Archibald Hamilton Rutledge (1883-1973), educator, man of letters, and the first poet laureate of S.C., was born at this site, in a house known to the Rutledge family as "Summer Place." Rutledge, who grew up here and at Hampton . . . — Map (db m39040) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — General William Moultrie / Moultrie Schools
(Front): The Moultrie Schools were named in honor of General William Moultrie, the highest ranking S.C. officer during the Revolutionary War and hero of the 1776 Battle of Fort Sullivan, which was renamed Fort Moultrie. He fought in the S.C. . . . — Map (db m31883) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Jasper Green/ Sergeant William Jasper
Jasper Green Jasper Green, a grassy field, became part of Moultrie High School’s campus and was named for Sergeant William Jasper. Jasper Green was home to the Moultrie High School Generals, now the Moultrie Middle School Patriots. The Green . . . — Map (db m37811) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Mount Pleasant Academy
Side A In 1809, the SC General Assembly incorporated Mount Pleasant Academy to educate the children of Christ Church Parish. Funded by a legacy and a lottery, a schoolhouse was built, but its site is uncertain. At times, classes were held . . . — Map (db m38042) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children
Side A At this site in 1881, Abby Munro, a Quaker from Philadelphia, established a home for orphans, neglected, and destitute children. Funds to purchase and operate the home were solicited locally and from friends in the North. It was . . . — Map (db m38045) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), North Charleston — 10-57 — Jenkins Orphanage
(Front text) Since 1937 this has been the campus of the Jenkins Orphanage, established in Charleston in 1891 by Rev. Daniel Joseph Jenkins (1862-1937). Jenkins, a Baptist minister, founded this orphanage for African American children with . . . — Map (db m39336) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-6 — Carnegie Library
This Classical Revival building, built in 1913-14 and designed by Arthur W. Hamby, was one of 14 public libraries built in S.C. between 1903 and 1916 with funding from Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Foundation. A 1938 addition compatible to the . . . — Map (db m7307) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-7 — Granard Graded and High School / Granard High School
Granard Graded and High School This is the original location of Granard Graded and High School, also known as Granard Street School. It was built here between 1905 and 1914 and included the first black high school in Gaffney. The first high . . . — Map (db m23967) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — LimestoneΦ Ω Σ Δ Ε — 1845 —
The Seven Branches Of Learning Quadrivium The higher division of the seven liberal arts in the Middle Ages, composed of geometry, astronomy, arithmetic, and music Trivium The lower division of the seven liberal arts . . . — Map (db m7253) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-3 — Limestone College
Founded in 1845 as the Limestone Springs Female High School by Dr. Thomas Curtis and his son Dr. William Curtis, distinguished Baptist clergymen. The school thrived until falling on hard times during the Civil War and Reconstruction. In 1881 the . . . — Map (db m44487) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-1 — Limestone Springs
Used as early as the American Revolution, this site became a “Summer Watering Place” in 1835. Low country aristocrats such as Governor David Johnson were attracted here by the climate and therapeutic waters. A post office was here . . . — Map (db m9967) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The Reverend Thomas Curtis, D.D.
[East Face]: Erected to the Memory of The Reverend Thomas Curtis, D.D. by his affectionate and devoted pupils. [West Face]: He was born May 10, 1797 in the town of Wisbfach England. And was lost . . . — Map (db m7281) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-5 — Coulter Memorial Academy Site
Organized in 1881, this Negro Presbyterian (USA) school was founded by the Rev. J.P. Crawford with support from Mrs. C.E. Coulter from whom it received its name. The Rev. G.W. Long was academy president from 1908 until 1943, and Coulter offered . . . — Map (db m18197) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13 17 — Chesterfield Academy
(front) The building that stands here once served as the Chesterfield Academy. The first Chesterfield Academy building was located nearer to downtown. Local tradition holds that the Union 20th Corps burned the school along with other . . . — Map (db m113789) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13 15 — Chesterfield High School
(front) Chesterfield High School, which stood here from 1908 to 1992, was the successor to Chesterfield Academy, an antebellum school burned by Federal troops in 1865. A new academy, built in 1889, later became Chesterfield School. By . . . — Map (db m113790) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-16 — Hanna Levi Memorial Library / Manning Library
Hanna Levi Memorial Library The Hannah Levi Memorial Library, built in 1909-1910, grew out of a library fund begun in 1905 by the children of Moses and Hannah Levi, along with proceeds from the sale of Moses Levi Memorial Institute. A . . . — Map (db m24625) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Ox Swamp:The Swamp Fox Earns His Name
On the night of November 7, 1780, Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton and his Green Dragoons - together with Harrison’s Provincials, a large unit of Tories from the area between the upper Santee and Wateree Rivers - camped at the plantation of the late . . . — Map (db m51985) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-12 — Pleasent Grove School
Black institute built soon after school district purchased the land in 1933. School closed in 1953 with 5 teachers/ 159 students. Now a community center. — Map (db m24158) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Wyboo Swamp:The Beginning of the Bridges Campaign
In March 1781, Lord Francis Hastings Rawdon, the British commanding officer in Charleston, designed a two-pronged assault against the forces of General Francis Marion. From Camden, Col. Welbore Ellis Doyle and the Volunteers of Ireland moved east . . . — Map (db m51986) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Summerton — "Together Let Us Sweetly Live"
"Together let us sweetly live" Distinguished Followers of Justice Briggs VS. Elliott Rev. Joseph A. Delaine; Mr. Hammett Pearson; Mr. Levi Pearson; Mr. Harry Briggs; Mr. Joseph Lemon; Pioneers in the School Desegregation Case; Historical plaintiffs . . . — Map (db m52315) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Lodge — Bonnie E. Cone
In Memory of Bonnie E. Cone June 22, 1907 ~ March 8, 2003 A native of Lodge and a tireless visionary whose unwavering belief in the love of God the kindness of people and the power of education led to the founding of . . . — Map (db m32935) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-7 — Walterborough Academy
Incorporated December 17, 1834, Walterborough Academy was the forerunner of the present city school system. Its trustees were Malachi Ford, John G. Godfrey, John D. Edwards, David Campbell, and Archibald Campbell. The Reverend John B. Van Dyke . . . — Map (db m8665) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-35 — Butler School
Butler School, located on this site since 1921, was the second public school to serve Hartsville's black community and operated for over sixty years. Known as the Darlington Co. Training School until 1939, it was renamed for Rev. Henry H. Butler, . . . — Map (db m38137) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-28 — David Robert Coker 1870-1938
Known world-wide for developing new varieties and for perfecting superior strains of agricultural crops (including cotton), Coker, for years was pres. Pedigreed Seed Co., chartered 1918. He was intendant (mayor) of Hartsville 1900-1901; member . . . — Map (db m38131) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-70 — Hartsville Graded School / Mt. Pisgah Nursery School
Hartsville Graded School The first public school for the black children of Hartsville and vicinity operated on this site from about 1900 to 1921. It was renamed Darlington County Training School in 1918. A new school was built on 6th St. south . . . — Map (db m60604) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-32 — Welsh Neck High School / Coker College
Welsh Neck High School The Welsh Neck Baptist Association initiated this institution as a coeducational boarding school. It opened Sept. 17, 1894, through the generosity of Maj. James Lide Coker, Civil War veteran, local industrialist, and the . . . — Map (db m38134) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-41 — Caleb Coker House
This house, built ca. 1832, was the home of Caleb Coker (1802-1869) and the birthplace of his son Maj. James Lide Coker (1837-1918), Confederate officer, industrialist, and founder of Coker College. Caleb Coker, a merchant, was also a director of . . . — Map (db m38165) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-26 — Society Hill Library Society
[Front] On June 5, 1822, twelve men paid $20 each to purchase books for a library. These men were J. J. Evans; David and Elias Gregg; D. R. W., J. K. and T. E. McIver; Thomas Smith; Alexander Sparks; D. R. and J. N. Williams; J. F. Wilson; . . . — Map (db m38160) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-9 — St. David's Academy
The St. David's Society, organized in 1777 and chartered in 1778, built the first public academy in St. David's Parish ¾ mile northeast in 1786. Alexander McIntosh, George Hicks, Abel Kolb, William Pegues, and Thomas Evans were early officers. The . . . — Map (db m38143) HM
South Carolina (Dillon County), Latta — 17-15 — Pine Hill A.M.E. Church / Pine Hill Rosenwald School
Pine Hill A.M.E. Church This church, founded in 1876, was in Marion County before Dillon County was created in 1910. At first on S.C. Hwy. 34, the church acquired this site in 1891 when Alfred Franklin Page (1863-1929) and his wife Laura . . . — Map (db m48927) HM
South Carolina (Dillon County), Latta — Vidalia Academy
  Herod W. Williams was concerned about the education of his children as were many parents in Latta. With the help of farm hands Allen constructed a one room school on his property. When the school opened in 1877 there were fifteen students who paid . . . — Map (db m46692) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), St. George — 1824 — St. George Public High School/St. George Graded School
(front) St. George Public High School St. George High School was built in 1927 on the corner of Raysor and Ridge Sts. In 1936 the school district received a W.P.A. grant to build a new gymnasium. The building continued as a high . . . — Map (db m103405) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-9 — Alston Graded School / Alston High School
Alston Graded School Alston Graded School, one of the first African-American schools founded in Dorchester County, stood here from 1910 to 1954. Named for its founder, Dr. J.H. Alston, it included grades 1-11 until 1949 and 1-12 afterwards. . . . — Map (db m27766) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Dorchester Free SchoolA Chance to Learn
A small brick building once stood here housing the Dorchester Free School. The school offered free education to omly a few poor students. All others paid tuition. Opportunities for white children to learn outside the home or shop was limited. Black . . . — Map (db m22659) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-3 — First Baptist Church / Village Cemetery
First Baptist Church Founded in 1823 as Edgefield Baptist Church, with Basil Manly, Sr., Pastor, Matthew Mims, Clerk, and Arthur Simkins, Moderator, this church led in the establishment here in 1826 of Furman Academy and Theological . . . — Map (db m12671) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-13 — J. Strom Thurmond Birthplace
[Front]: J. Strom Thurmond, by mid-1997 the longest-serving U.S. Senator in history, was born here to J. William and Gertrude Strom Thurmond Dec. 5, 1902. educated at Clemson College, he taught high school 1923-29, was county . . . — Map (db m12408) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — James Strom ThurmondDecember 5, 1902-June 26, 2003 — Governor 1947-1951 —
The longest serving and oldest Senator in American history, he began his public service as Edgefield County Superintendent of Education in 1929. A decorated soldier and circuit court judge, he was elected in the U.S. Senate as a write in candidate . . . — Map (db m12933) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Original Site of Furman Academy
1826 Original site of Furman Academy and Theological Institution. Marked by the Old 96 District Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. 1926 — Map (db m12702) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Piedmont Technical College, Edgefield CenterOriginally Adams' Warehouse
W.W. Adams, a prosperous Edgefield merchant and longtime Edgefield mayor, built this building in 1907 as a warehouse to serve the needs of cotton founders. The Edgefield Chronicle noted in that year: "The great brick warehouse of Mr. W.W. . . . — Map (db m12939) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Pierce Mason ButlerApril 11, 1798 - August 20, 1847 — Governor 1836-1838 —
A member of the famous Butler families of the Edgefield District, Butler promoted education & the building of railroads during his term as Governor. He commanded the Palmetto Regiment during the war with Mexico where he was fatally wounded. — Map (db m81697) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Religion & Education
Religion has played an important part in the lives of the people of Edgefield County. In the 1760's, the great evangelist Daniel Marshall, came to this area and established Big Stevens Creek and Horn's Creek Churches. In 1826 Edgefield Baptists, . . . — Map (db m12594) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-7 — Village Academy / Furman Academy and Theological Institute
Village Academy Organized in 1811, the Edgefield Village Academy was located for many years on this site acquired from Col. Eldred Simkins in 1825. The South Carolina Coeducational Institute was located here from 1903-1913. During . . . — Map (db m12700) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — 19-17 — Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators
[Front] Johnston’s first school opened on this site in 1873. The Male and Female Academy was a boarding school, with Rev. Luther Broaddus as its first principal. Alternately a private and public school during its early history, it was . . . — Map (db m28226) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 12 Stone Monument
Erected in honor of the founder of Bettis Academy Rev. Alexander Bettis Born August 4, 1836 - Died May 13, 1895 He was a born leader and a friend of humanity. Gone but not forgotten. ---------- Erected by Mt. Canaan Association 1942 . . . — Map (db m12850) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19-9 — Bettis Academy
Established as a result of the inspiration and efforts of the Reverend Alexander Bettis, this coeducational institution was incorporated in 1889 and provided elementary, high school, and junior college training for blacks. A.W. Nicholson . . . — Map (db m12795) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — Bettis Academy19th Century Education for African Americans
Bettis Academy and Junior College, a private school for African Americans, was founded in 1881 by Rev. Alexander Bettis, a former slave who was taught to read by his owner's wife, but was never taught to write. A Baptist Minister, he established . . . — Map (db m12846) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19-16 — Mt. Canaan Baptist Church
[Front]: This church, founded in 1868, was one of the first black Baptist churches in this area. Alexander Bettis (1836-1895), a former slave, established this church with the assistance of three white ministers after the local Baptist . . . — Map (db m12800) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Blair — 20-11 — Feasterville Female and Male Academy
Around 1840 an academy was established at this site by John Feaster, a noted landowner of this area, for the education of female and male students. By 1842, both academy building and a boarding house (dormitory)had been erected. Mr. Feaster, . . . — Map (db m14396) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Salem Crossroads — 20-15 — John Hugh Means/William Harper
(Front): Governor of S.C. (1850-1852), president of the 1852 Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession in 1860, John Means was born near here in 1812. A colonel in the 17th Regiment, S.C. Volunteers, CSA, he died Sept. . . . — Map (db m47540) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-16 — Fairfield Institute / Kelly Miller
[Fairfield Institute Side] This grade school and normal institute for blacks was founded in 1869 during Reconstruction by the Northern Presbyterian Church. The Reverend Willard Richardson was principal. In 1880, one-hundred of its students . . . — Map (db m14463) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — James Wilson Hudson
(west face) M Z S 1777. JACOBO WILSON HUDSON, Montis Zion Collegii annos vigenti tres. singulari felicitate Præsidi. Multa præclara in tam longissimo curriculo et didicit et docuit. In literis eruditus, in . . . — Map (db m45128) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-12 — Mt. Zion Society
A social and benevolent group dedicated to the promotion of education, the Mt. Zion Society was organized in January 1777 at Charleston S.C. John Winn was its first president. By the 1780s the society had founded a school for boys in Winnsboro. . . . — Map (db m14285) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-2 — William Gee
A veteran of the Revolution, William Gee served as a private with the Continental Line of N.C. and moved to this area before 1797. He was one of the original members of the Washington Society, organized in 1803 to establish an academy on Jeffries . . . — Map (db m38021) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-31 — Wilson School / Wilson High School
Wilson School Wilson School, later Wilson High School, was the first public school in Florence, and stood here from 1866 to 1906. At first a private school for black children, it was established by the New England Branch of the Freedmen’s . . . — Map (db m38026) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Mars Bluff — 21-14 — Mt. Zion Rosenwald School
[Front] This school, built in 1925, was the first public school for African American students in the Mars Bluff community. One of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, it features a standard . . . — Map (db m37335) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Quinby — 21-13 — Ney School / Back Swamp School
Ney School About 1843 Robert Rogers (1808-1882), a planter at "Blooming Grove" in the Back Swamp community of what was then Darlington District, built a plantation schoolhouse and hired Peter Stuart Ney (d. 1846) to teach his children. The . . . — Map (db m37334) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Belle W. Baruch(1899 - 1964)
Belle Wilcox Baruch, with great love and foresight for Hobcaw Barony, provided a plan that enables generations of people to understand and learn from Hobcaw's forests, marshes, and beaches. In 1936, Bellefield Plantation became Belle's winter . . . — Map (db m39643) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-57 — Hobcaw Barony
[Marker Front]: In 1718 the Lords Proprietors granted 12,000 acres on Hobcaw Point, the southern portion of Waccamaw Neck, to John, Lord Carteret. The barony was subdivided beginning in 1766, creating several large rice plantations . . . — Map (db m16288) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-16 — Winyah Indigo Society
Springing from the fervor for indigo, the colony’s vital new crop for making blue dye, the Winyah Indigo Society was begun in 1755 and incorporated 1757 to ensure stronger financial support for the free school which it had founded. Thomas Lynch was . . . — Map (db m7664) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-20 — Winyah Schools
Winyah Indigo School District was created in 1885 to maintain public education in Georgetown. In 1887, the district assumed the existing school owned by the Winyah Indigo Society, established in 1755. Completed in 1908 was a building housing . . . — Map (db m7860) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Hemingway — 22-51 — Pleasant Hill School
Pleasant Hill Consolidated School opened in 1938 as an elementary and high school. It also included a cannery and a home economics/farm-shop building. Pleasant Hill housed a middle and high school 1970–1985 and closed in 2000 as Pleasant Hill . . . — Map (db m16413) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — Fountain Inn High School
The National Register of Historic Places Fountain Inn High School — Map (db m31724) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — 23-45 — Fountain Inn Rosenwald School
[Front]: The Fountain Inn Rosenwald School, also known as the Fountain Inn Colored School, was a complex of several buildings built here from 1928 to 1942. The first school, a frame seven-room elementary school for grades 1-7, was a . . . — Map (db m50524) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — "Old College"
Built in 1851 with two class rooms for use while the main building was being completed. Dr. James C. Furman used the south end, Dr. Charles H. Judson, the north end. Entrusted by action of the Trustees on June 10, 1910 to the Quaterion Club . . . — Map (db m21170) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — "The Shack"
The Shack, built in 1937, served as a snack bar and rustic gathering place on the campus of the university's coordinated women's college until it was moved to Furman's new campus in 1961. Now a student residence, it is the only remaining structure . . . — Map (db m20751) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Alester Garden Furman, Jr.1895-1980
Fourth generation descendant of Richard Furman, who was the spiritual founder of Furman University. He served many terms on the Board of Trustees of the University. As chairman he was instrumental in moving Furman University to the present . . . — Map (db m18903) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Boyhood Home of Hugh Smith Thompson1836 - 1904
Here was the Boyhood Home of Hugh Smith Thompson 1836 - 1904 State Superintendent of Education South Carolina 1877 - 1882 Governor of South Carolina 1882 - 1886 Assistant Secretary of The Treasury, United States 1886 - . . . — Map (db m16005) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Chicora CollegeReedy River Falls — Historic Park —
The Presbyterian Synod of South Carolina established Chicora College for Young Ladies in 1893 as "McBee's Terrace," opposite the Greenville Coach Factory on the south bank of the Reedy. Its sixteen acre campus, with grounds landscaped down to the . . . — Map (db m41444) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — DeSantis Pavilion
Presented by Magdalina B. and Blaine J. DeSantis '75 In Honor of Joseph E. DeSantis 1922-2001 A True Gentleman in the Classic Sense of the Word Born in Ascoli Piceno, Italy Emigrated to United States in 1929 Rose from Humble . . . — Map (db m18275) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Fred W. Symmes Hall of Science
This Hall of Science is Dedicated to the Memory of Fred W. Symmes 1879-1957 Textile Manufacturer, Public Servant, Seeker after Knowledge, who throughout a long life labored unceasingly for the cause of Education Constructed through the . . . — Map (db m10981) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-14 — Furman University
Established in 1825 by the S.C. Baptist Convention, the Furman Academy and Theological Institution opened in Edgefield, 1826, moved to Sumter District, 1829-34, and to Fairfield 1837-1850. Chartered in 1830 as Furman University, it opened in . . . — Map (db m11383) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Furman University
This plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of Furman University's relocation from this site to the current campus north of Greenville on Poinsett Highway. From 1851 to 1958, Furman University was located atop this bluff above the Reedy River . . . — Map (db m14540) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Furman University
Established in 1826 in Edgefield as an academy and theological institution, Furman University was charted in 1850 and in 1851 established a campus on the bluff above this spot, where it remained for the next century. Named for Baptist minister . . . — Map (db m14549) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Furman UniversityReedy River Falls Historic Park
Established in 1826 in Edgefield as an academy and theological institution, Furman University was charted in 1850 and in 1851 established a campus on the bluff above this spot, where it remained for the next century. Named for Baptist minister . . . — Map (db m32950) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-15 — Greenville Woman's College
Established in 1854 by the S.C. Baptist Convention, this institution opened as Greenville Baptist Female College in February 1856, on this site originally donated by Vardry McBee to the Greenville Academies. Its name was changed to Greenville . . . — Map (db m9082) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — James Buchanan Duke Library
Erected 1956 Renovated 2004 In Memory of James Buchanan Duke 1856-1925 Philanthropist, Master Builder, Creator of the Duke Endowment, and Benefactor of Humankind This library is named in honor of Mr. Duke in grateful recognition of his . . . — Map (db m18940) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — James C. Furman Classroom BuildingErected 1955
In Memory of James Clement Furman, D.D. 1809-1891 President 1859-1879 Professor 1844-1881 ----- At a crisis in 1868 Furman was admonished to abandon the institution. His reply was: "I will nail my colors to the mast of the . . . — Map (db m18986) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Judson Hall
In Memoriam Charles Hallette Judson, LL.D 1820-1901 Professor and Professor Emeritus, 1851-1907 Treasurer, 1855-1894 Executive Committee of Trustees, 1857-1897 Acting President, 1902-1903 President, Greenville Female College, . . . — Map (db m18813) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Lawrence Peter Hollis"Pete"
1883 - 1978 It can be done [North Face]: Superintent of Parker District Schools. Founded the first Adult Education Center in Greenville Coounty. Introduced Vocational Education (Forerunner of Technical Education Colleges in South . . . — Map (db m10182) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Minor Herndon Mickel Square
. . . — Map (db m18930) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Nick Strange1938-2016
• Mentor • Coach • Weightlifter • Role Model • • Friend to All • Beginning about 1970, on this location in the basement of the Phyllis Wheatley Center, Nick Strange taught and mentored young men in not only the sport of weightlifting, but also . . . — Map (db m135192) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Parker High School AuditoriumGreenville County Historic Site
Built in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration, it was a part of the largest WPA school project in the state of South Carolina. The auditorium was built at a cost of $50,000 and named for Thomas F. Parker, local mill executive. The . . . — Map (db m30316) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Prospect Hill Park
[East Face - Top Inscription]: Prospect Hill Park [East Face - Bottom Inscription]: Established by Greenville County Historic Preservation Commission [North Face - Top Inscription]: Site of . . . — Map (db m11584) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Richard W. Riley Hall
Named in honor of Richard W. Wiley, Class of 1954 U.S. Secretary of Education, Governor of South Carolina Legislator and Attorney In recognition of his distinguished service in high public office and his lasting contributions to the . . . — Map (db m18566) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-20 — Site of First Baptist Church / Baptist Seminary
Site of First Baptist ChurchIn 1825, Wm. Bullein Johnson opened a subscription for a Baptist meetinghouse, which was soon built here. The 120 foot-square lot, which extended well into present McBee Ave., was given by Vardry McBee. After its . . . — Map (db m9086) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-33 — Sterling High School
[Front]: Sterling High School stood ¾ mi. southeast of here and served generations of African Americans in Greenville. Founded in 1896 by Rev. D.M. Minus and called Greenville Academy, it was first located in west Greenville. It moved . . . — Map (db m10847) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Sterling High School
Established 1929 Destroyed by fire 1967 Past Principals J.C. Martin • R.L. Hickson • Joseph E. Beck • Harold O. Mims, Sr. • Luke H. Chatman Sponsored and erected by Class of 1955 — Map (db m10883) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Sterling High School Memorial
Civil Rights The students of Sterling High School were the driving force that promoted the change of institutional segregation in Greenville County. During the 1950s and 1960s, Sterling students held demonstrations, marches . . . — Map (db m16217) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Thomas C. Gower Bridge
City of Greenville Renovation of this historic bridge was completed in 2001. The first of many projects planned for the new millenium with the goal of enhancing the public's enjoyment of the historic Reedy River Falls area. Knox H. . . . — Map (db m10721) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Mauldin — Mauldin United Methodist Church
This church, founded around 1867 as Poplar Springs Methodist Episcopal Church South, was Mauldin's first church and it operated the community's first school. The name was changed in 1956 to Mauldin United Methodist Church. — Map (db m16003) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Piedmont — 23-40 — Pepper School
Pepper School, established in 1914-15, was built on land donated "for the children of my community" by William A. Pepper (1829-1914). The school, with three teachers and about 75-100 students in grades 1-7 for much of its history, closed after . . . — Map (db m37521) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Taylors — Mountain View SchoolOrganized 1911
"Where the mountains rise in beauty" The Grand Old Mountain View State High School stood on this spot. From 1924 to 1954 some 2000 students passed through her doors. This memorial was erected in 1966 by the Mountain View Alumni Association . . . — Map (db m10194) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Tigerville — North Greenville Baptist Academy
North Greenville Baptist Academy 1892-1957 "A Light Set on a Hill" Founded by North Greenville Baptist Association — Map (db m19002) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Travelers Rest — 23-23 — William Preston Few (1867-1940)
[Front]: William Preston Few, prominent Southern educator, was born 1.6 mi. NE in 1867. Few received his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1896 and joined the faculty of Trinity College, Durham, N.C., that same year. He became Trinity's fifth . . . — Map (db m9133) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Epworth — 24-13 — Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
The spiritual mentor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Born here in 1894. Served as president of Morehouse College 1940-67 and as presidential advisor. Died in 1984. — Map (db m11044) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Dr. Benjamin James Sanders, Jr.1899-1990
The first born son and seventh child of Benjamin and Elsie Goodman Sanders was born in Allendale, S.C. near Appleton in Barnwell County. The son of a farmer with no school in his community, he attended a one-room one-teacher school that housed . . . — Map (db m11631) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-6 — John Henry Logan
December 7, 1821 - March 29, 1885 Teacher, Historian, Physician Born and reared near this spot, John Henry Logan first practiced medicine and taught school in this region before publishing in 1859 his History of Upper South Carolina. He . . . — Map (db m73346) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College and Conference School
The National Register of Historic Places: Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College and Conference School — Map (db m29534) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Payne Institute
Erected by The Allen University Alumni Club of Greenville County November 1970 In Honor of Payne Institute Established in 1870 by The African Methodist Episcopal Church Moved to Columbia, South Carolina in 1860 And Renamed . . . — Map (db m11094) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — 24-21 — Ninety Six Colored School
Front The Ninety Six Colored School, built nearby between 1927 and 1953, was a combined elementary and high school through the 1951-52 school year and an elementary school through the 1955-56 school year. It was a six-room frame . . . — Map (db m83914) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Lost Town of Cambridge1783 - c. 1850
After the Revolution, the American government confiscated land that belonged to prominent Loyalists. You are standing on such a tract, and it became the site of a new town of Ninety Six in 1783. The old town, near the Star Fort -- never rebounded . . . — Map (db m125707) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ware Shoals — The William T. Jones, III Bridge
This man was born and reared on the land adjacent to and southwest of this bridge where his ancestors settled in the late 1750's. His forbears were very civic minded and patriotic and included many doctors and lawyers. Among them were a Senator, a . . . — Map (db m11093) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Estill — Lucile Ellerbe Godbold
1922 Olympic Gold Medal winner Paris, France, while a student at Winthrop College. First woman in South Carolina Athletic Hall Of Fame. Outstanding educator at Columbia College. Daughter of William Asa and Lucie Ellerbe Godbold, Estill, South . . . — Map (db m4767) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Hampton — Hampton Colored School
The National Register Of Historical Places South Carolina Department of Archives and History Hampton Colored School — Map (db m11542) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Hampton — 25-6 — Hampton Colored School
Constructed for black students,this elementary school was built shortly after Hampton County School District purchased the land in the late 1920s. Two of the school's alumni of the 1930's and 1940s, brothers James F. and Julius C. Fields . . . — Map (db m19649) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Hampton — Site of Hampton High School1911       1954
Built 1911, by Town of Hampton. Given to Hampton County 1925, to become part of the county's first public school system. Closed 1954, upon consolidation of district schools. Building razed 1957. This marker dedicated to our school days, our . . . — Map (db m7149) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Lawtonville Crossroads — 25-7 — Morrison Academy
In old Lawtonville Community, across from this site, was the first Morrison Academy. a one-room elementary and college preparatory school. It was later moved 3.4 miles north of here on Orangeburg Road to be near the home of Rev. John Timothy . . . — Map (db m10462) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Aynor — 26-25 — Levister Elementary School
This school, built in 1953, was one of the many African-American schools built by the equalization program of Gov. James F. Byrnes, intended to preserve school segregation by building new schools for black children. Students in grades 1-7, who had . . . — Map (db m40276) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-23 — Coastal Carolina University
[Front] Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College, holding evening classes in Conway High School 1954-1963. Its first enrollment numbered 53 students. Originally sponsored by the College of Charleston . . . — Map (db m36813) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-24 — Conway High School
Conway High School was located here from 1929 to 1979. A two-story brick Classical Revival building, its cornerstone was laid in 1928 and the building was completed in 1929. Classes began that fall. Coastal Carolina Junior College (now Coastal . . . — Map (db m36818) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Little River — 26-27 — Chestnut Consolidated School
Chestnut Consolidated Schools, which was located here 1954-1970, was built under the equalization program of Gov. James F. Byrnes, intended to preserve segregation by building new schools for blacks. Named to honor Horry County educator J.T. . . . — Map (db m52518) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Loris — 26-20 — Loris Training School
[Marker Front] Loris Training School, which stood here from 1928 to 1955, was the first school for black students in Loris and other nearby communities. Built at a cost of $4,700, it was one of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in . . . — Map (db m26754) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Murrells Inlet — 26-15 — St. James Rosenwald School
Marker Front:
St. James Rosenwald School, which stood here from the late 1920s until the early 1970s, was one of several African-American schools in Horry County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. Rev. Smart Small, Sr. . . . — Map (db m27331) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Major General Gilbert L. Meyers
General Gilbert Meyers entered military service in 1936. He completed his pilot training in 1938 and was assigned the Eighth Pursuit Group at Langley Field, Virginia. His distinguished career contained many firsts. During the early part of World . . . — Map (db m102296) HM WM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grays — 27-25 — Grays Consolidated High School
( Front text ) This school, built in 1927 and rebuilt in 1931, was one of many constructed in the late 1920s, as small rural one- or two-room schools were consolidated into elementary or high schools in towns and cities. Built on . . . — Map (db m26370) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 28-11 — Mather Academy
[Front] Mather Academy was founded in 1887 by the New England Southern Conference of the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. It succeeded a freedmen's school opened during Reconstruction by Sarah Babcock, who returned . . . — Map (db m27657) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Cassatt — 28-9 — Midway High School
(Front) Midway School, established on this site in 1923 with grades 1-11, served Cassatt and other rural areas in Kershaw County near U.S. Hwy. 1 from Little Lynches River to the Shepard community. The high school later added grade 12, then . . . — Map (db m47547) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-22 — Clinton Memorial Cemetery / Isom C. Clinton
[Marker Front]: More than 300 members of Lancaster's black community are buried here, with the first grave dating to 1864. Originally the Clinton family cemetery, it was donated to Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church in 1960 by Dr. John J. Clinton . . . — Map (db m23835) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-8 — Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County
Franklin Academy Organized in 1825, was the most widely-known of the four schools that occupied this site. Henry Connelly was its first principal. J. Marion Sims who later achieved world fame as a surgeon was one of its pupils. The building of . . . — Map (db m23836) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-6 — Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute
[Marker Front]: Located on this site, Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute for black students was incorporated in 1905; M. D. Lee was president and J. G. McIlwain chairman of the board. By 1912, the school was offering both elementary . . . — Map (db m23834) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — School Days in the Waxhaws
When Andrew Jackson was a boy, he attended log-cabin schools much like this replica. In this backcountry region of devout, hard working Scotch-Irish immigrants, most children learned enough at local "common" schools to read the Bible and run . . . — Map (db m23771) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — Davison McDowell Douglas1869-1931 — Minister, Educator, Humanitarian —
This building -- dedicated as a memorial to alumni killed in World War II and the Korean War -- is named Douglas House in memory of that beloved servant of God, the Reverend Davison McDowell Douglas, B.A., B.D., M.A., D.D., LL.D., who served . . . — Map (db m11980) WM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — Jacobs Hall
Erected in Honor of Rev. William Plumer Jacobs, D.D. Founder of the College ----------- Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Clinton for half a century and founder of Thornwell Orphanage — Map (db m11945) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — Malcolm A. MacDonald
An educational scholarship established and this street named in memory of Malcolm A. MacDonald, D.D., third president of Thornwell Home and School, September 1944 - January 1971. His love and dedication to Thornwell's children in his care is . . . — Map (db m48658) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — The Reverend William Plumer Jacobs(1842-1917)
Graduate of the College of Charleston and Columbia Theological Seminary Pastor of Clinton, Duncan Creek, Shady Grove, and Thornwell Presbyterian Churches Founded and President of the Thornwell Home and School for Children Founder of . . . — Map (db m11943) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — William Plumer Jacobs, D.D., LL.D.1842-1917
This stone, erected on the fiftieth anniversary of Thornwell Orphanage by men and women whose childhood was blessed by the founder and first president, is grateful testimonial of The Thornwell Orphanage Alumni 1875 - . . . — Map (db m11938) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Gray Court — Gray Court Owings Consolidated High School
Created by consolidation of the following schools: Dials, New Harmony Friendship, Owings Gary Court, Riddles Old Field Dedicated to our children 1928 Kate V. Wofford, County Supt. of Education C.B. Owings, R.L.Gray, T.H. . . . — Map (db m43360) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Gray Court — 30-10 — Laurens County Training School
[Front]: The Laurens County Training School, located here 1924-1954, had its origins in Gray Court School, a one-room school founded ca. 1890 on the grounds of Pleasant View Baptist Church. The training school, opened in 1924 in a . . . — Map (db m22904) HM

327 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 127
Paid Advertisement