Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Parks & Recreational Areas Historical Markers

1511 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1311
 
Capital image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, January 17, 2019
Capital
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fairhope — Land, Capital, Labor
Land “The Source of all wealth” Henry George 1839-1897 Taxes applied to the source are an inducement to use the land wisely These parks donated by Fairhope Single Tax Corporation September 29, 1931

Capital . . . — Map (db m128893) HM

Alabama (Baldwin County), Gulf Shores — Here ends the Alabama Scenic River Trail
Historic 650 miles Water Route along the Coosa, Alabama and Mobile Rivers _________ Beginning on the Coosa River at the Alabama-Georgia State Line Established 2007 — Map (db m122443) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Orange Beach — Romar Beach
Romar Beach began as a large homestead property with three miles of beachfront spanning from Gulf State Park to Hwy 161 in Orange Beach. The original property now covers only 480 feet. It was a true homestead and the owners were required to . . . — Map (db m122463) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Missing Pieces
"We by-and-by discovered...a pair of those splendid birds, the Ivory-billed Woodpeckers (Picus principalis). They were engaged in rapping some tall dead pines, in a dense part of the forest, which rang with their loud notes." . . . — Map (db m112801) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), White Hall — Holy Ground Battlefield
One of the significant battles of the Creek War of 1813-14 occurred near here on December 23, 1813. The 3rd Regiment, U.S. Infantry forces under the command of General F. L. Claiborne attacked a band of Creek Indians. Called "Holy Ground" by Creeks . . . — Map (db m116890) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Goldsmith-Schiffman Field
On January 25, 1934, Oscar Goldsmith, Lawrence B. Goldsmith, Annie Schiffman Goldsmith, Robert L. Schiffman, and Strauss Schiffman gave this property to the City of Huntsville for an athletic field. The gift was in memory of Betty Bernstein . . . — Map (db m130148) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — St. John's Episcopal Church
St. John’s Episcopal Church, established and built in 1855, stood at the northwest corner of this block, its rectory adjacent. Between 1860 and 1870, the Church Home, an orphanage and school consisting of three buildings, was constructed. This was . . . — Map (db m123443) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Historic Sites Near Fairview Environmental Park
Role of MIA The Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA) was founded on December 5, 1955, to implement the 382-day Montgomery Bus Boycott that jumpstarted the 20th-century Civil Rights Movement. The MIA, as its name suggests, remains dedicated . . . — Map (db m129484) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lower Dexter Park
History Happened Here The City of Montgomery built this public park on one of the lots occupied by the Montgomery Fair Department Store. Rosa Parks was an assistant to the tailor for Montgomery Fair. On December 1, 1955, Mrs. Parks . . . — Map (db m121435) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Our HistoryU.S. Fish and Wildlife Service — Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge —
1838 Trail of Tears: The discovery of gold in Georgia and thirst for land expansion prompted the U.S. Government and white communities to force the Cherokee nation from their ancestral lands. During the summer and winter of 1838, the first . . . — Map (db m113290) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Arizonal Trail - A Tribute to Dale Shewalter
The idea of a non-motorized trail traversing Arizona from Mexico to Utah was conceived by Dale Shewalter, a Flagstaff public school teacher, after numerous long-distance hikes throughout the state. In 1985 Dale walked from Nogales to . . . — Map (db m121444) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Spanish Discovery
Near here in late summer of 1540, soldiers from the Spanish expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado became the first Europeans to see Grand Canyon. After journeying for six months, Coronado's army arrived at the Hopi mesas, east of Grand . . . — Map (db m125895) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Tragedy RememberedGrand Canyon
Catastrophe can happen even in spectacular beauty. When technological achievements and human actions fail, disasters may happen. On June 30, 1956, a United Airlines DC-7 and a TWA Super Constellation maneuvered around towering cumulus clouds on . . . — Map (db m124533) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Kaibab — 5 — Pipe Springs National Monument
Established May 31, 1923 Through effort of Stephen T. Mather and friends Pipe Springs Occupied in 1863 by Dr. James M. Whitmore, who, with Robert McIntyre, was killed 4 miles S.E. Of here January 3, 1866 by Navajo and Piute . . . — Map (db m131296) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Superior — What is the Story Behind the Picketpost House?... a wealthy man built a house and planted a vision
Colonel William Boyce Thompson was a mining promoter, financial magnate, and Red Cross officer. He fell in love with the Picketpost Mountain area when he first visited his Magma Copper Mine near Superior and chose this spot for his winter home. . . . — Map (db m117109) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Laura Williams Memorial Park
Laura Williams owned the antique museum which housed numerous artifacts from Jerome. Laura was one of the founding members of the Jerome Historical Society and served as the Secretary/Treasurer from 1953-1974. She was an employee of Newmont . . . — Map (db m33189) HM
Arkansas (Logan County), Paris — Eiffel Tower ParkParis, Arkansas
Eiffel Tower Park was established in 2014 on the West side of the Paris town square. The Eiffel Tower was a gift to the city by a former resident and pastor, Don Eubanks. A 7 foot water feature with fountain was added to the 18 foot tower to . . . — Map (db m129685) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Ohlone Dog ParkBerkeley History
Berkeley's Ohlone Dog Park, situated along a strip of land cleared in the 1960s for BART undergrounding, is widely considered the world''s first dog park. Development plans for the area were upended when activists occupied and dubbed the strip . . . — Map (db m137042) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — The Heritage House
The Heritage House has been the center of historical horse racing activities in the Livermore – Amador Valley for over 90 years. Built around 1900, it is the sole remaining structure from the days of the privately-owned racing business that . . . — Map (db m112794) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — California and Nevada Railroad
These eucalyptus trees mark the route of the narrow gauge California and Nevada railroad chartered in 1884 to connect California to the Nevada mines.

Only 23 miles of track were completed by 1891 from Emeryville to Bryant now Orinda. In . . . — Map (db m133653) HM

California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — National Tribute Grove5000 Acres — Largest World War II Memorial in the United States —
–top plaque– This Unit of 500 Acres in the National Tribute Grove is Preserved Through the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution To Honor Those Who Served in the Armed Forces of the United States in World . . . — Map (db m122130) WM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — A Room with a View
Guests at the Pope estate had the option of staying in one of three unique cabins, each with its own charm. Many liked the "Log Cabin" best because it was closest to the lake. The cabin across and up the lawn called the "Pachero," was reserved . . . — Map (db m112980) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Lucky's Legacy
On this site, between 1880 and 1909, Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin created the elaborate Tallac Resort. The luxury complex featured a hotel, a casino, several cottages, a clubhouse, a boathouse, and three piers. Wealthy society families from San . . . — Map (db m112975) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Supporting a Life of Ease
The Pope complex is the largest of the Estates, and the main house the most elaborate and least rustic of the three. It is a good example of the fact that construction practices at Tahoe during this period favored the use of lavish effects and often . . . — Map (db m112977) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Welcome to the Historic Tallac Resort
You're standing on the site of the Tallac Resort and Casino, a turn of the century Tahoe destination promoted as "The Grandest Resort in the World." The Resort filled more than 40 acres and offered all the amenities a guest could want. Elias . . . — Map (db m112976) HM
California (Humboldt County), Weott — "Ltcuntadun"
Ltcuntadun is the name given to this place by the native Sinkyone-Lolangkok people. For hundreds of years they celebrated the river's abundant salmon, lamprey and steelhead.

In 1876, a ferry crossed the river here. The town of Dyerville, named . . . — Map (db m121005) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — Mount Lowe RailwayHistorical Marker
Cable wheel, last remnant of Incline section, Mt Lowe Railway, Rubio Canyon to Echo Mt, 1893-1938, built by Prof. T.S.C. Lowe, D.J. Macpherson, engineer. — Map (db m122608) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Aqua Dulce — Toney ResidenceVasquez Rocks
Ray A. Toney and his son Edward A. Toney built this ranch-style residence on property homesteaded by William H. Krieg, Ray's uncle. The Toneys, a pioneering Agua Dulce family, built the residence during the Great Depression using wood salvaged from . . . — Map (db m133731) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 7 — Adams Pack StationHistory Lives Here
A Brief History The barn and two-room bunkhouse/store that were still being utilized at Adams’ Pack Station in 2011 were built 75 years earlier by the original owner of what has become the last remaining pack station in southern California. . . . — Map (db m122240) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 10 — Elias J. Baldwin
Elias Jackson Baldwin, founder and first Mayor of the City of Arcadia, was born into an Ohio farming family on April 3, 1828, but spent his formative years growing up in nearby Indiana where a year at Wabash College in Crawfordsville completed his . . . — Map (db m135467) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 367 — Queen Anne Cottage
Constructed by Elias Jackson ('Lucky') Baldwin in 1881. Designed by A.A. Bennett, and intended for entertaining. There being no kitchen, meals were served from the nearby adobe (built by Hugo Reid in 1839) where Baldwin actually lived. Restored and . . . — Map (db m120308) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — Garden of the GodsIverson Movie Ranch
Garden of the Gods was part of the Iverson Movie Ranch which flourished from 1912 until the late 1960s, the golden era of the "B” Western movies. This site was known as the "most shot up location in movie history.” Hollywood . . . — Map (db m127037) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 182 — Ivy SubstationMedia Park
The Ivy Substation, named for the land development where it is located, was built in 1907 by the Los Angeles Pacific Railway. It is one of the largest electric substations along the “Balloon Route” rail line from downtown Los Angeles to . . . — Map (db m121986) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Echo Park — Aimee Semple McPhersonThe Lotus of Echo Park Lake
Aimee Semple McPherson (1890-1944) founded the international Church of the Foursquare Gospel and was a well-known figure in Los Angeles. After her founding of the Angelus Temple in 1923, the population of the Echo Park neighborhood greatly . . . — Map (db m122445) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — 3 — Big Tree
The Big Tree was planted in the late 1880’s by Mr. Edgar J. Owens, one of Glendora’s early residents. The tree, botanical name Ficus Macrophylla, is commonly called Moreton Bay Fig and is named after the Moreton Bay region of Australia where the . . . — Map (db m127852) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Cañada — 717 — The Angeles National Forest
This was the first National Forest in the State of California, second in the United States. Created by proclamation, December 20, 1892, by President Benjamin Harrison. The first name given to the forest was "San Gabriel Timberland Reserve." It was . . . — Map (db m123462) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Cañada Flintridge — Descanso GardensBird Observation Station
Dedicated in memory of Helen Steele Pratt, 1883-1965. Devoted naturalist, nature teacher and counselor, whose efforts led to the adoption of the California Quail as the California State Bird. — Map (db m118494) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Crescenta — Crescenta Valley ParkGerman-American History
Between 1934 and 1957, most of this area in Crescenta Valley Community Regional Park, west of Dunsmore Avenue and south of Honolulu Avenue, was a private park owned by the German-American League. The private park, named Hindenburg Park in memorial . . . — Map (db m133816) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 401 — Adobe of the Rancho Los Feliz
Granted on March 22, 1843 to Maria Ygnacia Verdugo in confirmation of an earlier Spanish concession made to Vicente Feliz in 1795. Later owned by famous California pioneers Antonio Coronel and James Lick. Colonel Griffith Jenkins Griffith, in . . . — Map (db m120976) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round
75 Years Ago Walt Disney made Snow White & The 7 Dwarfs. Emelia Erhart disappeared flying around the world. The Golden Gate Bridge opened. The Hindenburg crashed. Franklin Roosevelt was President. Shirley Temple . . . — Map (db m137297) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 5 — Mother Ditch and The History Slugs
All California State Parks must have either unique physical or historical assets. In 2000, the fate of this State Park hung partially on the question of whether physical traces of history could really be found here. The game-changing evidence was . . . — Map (db m120910) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Nike Missile Site LA96C
Panel 1: Formerly a Nike Missile control site, U.S. Army 1956-1968. Currently San Vicente Mountain Park, gateway to the Big Wild. Restricted entry, vehicles with handicapped permits only beyond this point. Welcome. Panel . . . — Map (db m118433) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Pershing Square
A portion of the area of El Pueblo de Los Angeles, established during the governorship of Felipe de Neve in 1781. Dedicated as “Public Square” by city ordinance, 1866. Named Central Park in 1893. Renamed in 1918 in honor of John J. . . . — Map (db m127309) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Site of the Old Los Angeles Zoo
This Griffith Park canyon area served as the City’s Zoo from its founding in 1912 to 1965, when the Los Angeles Zoo moved to its current location about two miles north of where you are currently standing. Many of the walls, grottos, and other . . . — Map (db m128091) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spirit of the CCCHonoring Those Who Served in the Civilian Conservation Corps — 1933 - 1942 —
The CCC had two camps in Griffith Park. Camp Griffith Park, originally located just east of this site, was occupied from May 1934 to May 1936. A statue honoring the CCC was sculpted by John Palo-Kangas as a WPA Federal Art Project and placed in that . . . — Map (db m137298) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Greek Theatre
The history of the Greek Theatre dates to 1882, when Colonel Griffith J. Griffith came to America from South Wales to seek fortune in gold mining. Colonel Griffith settled in Los Angeles and purchased the Los Feliz Rancho, which he later donated . . . — Map (db m137264) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — 965 — Point Dume
On November 24, 1793, English explorer George Vancouver, commander of an expedition to determine the extent of settlement of the northwest coast of America, named this rocky promontory, Point Dume, after his Franciscan friend, Father Francisco . . . — Map (db m123039) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Manhattan Beach — 1018 — Manhattan Beach Pier
Designed by City Engineer A.L. Harris, this pier was constructed by the City of Manhattan beach during the years 1917-1920. The roundhouse building was added a year later. Harris' innovative design featured a rounded end to the pier, which helped it . . . — Map (db m114457) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Marina Del Rey — Marina Del ReyThirtieth Anniversary — 1957-1987 —
On December 12, 1957, near this site a groundbreaking ceremony took place to signal the start of construction of the Marina Del Rey small craft harbor, a revenue bond project of the County of Los Angeles. Under the guidance of the Los . . . — Map (db m128455) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 564 — William S. Hart Park and Museum
William S. Hart Park and Museum is the former ranch and home of the world famous Western silent film actor and director, William S. Hart. Today, guests visiting the park may enjoy a vast picnic area, a live collection of farm animals, a herd of . . . — Map (db m120773) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pacific Palisades — 840 — Santa Monica Forestry Station
In 1887, the State Board of Forestry established the nation's first experimental forestry station. Located in Rustic Canyon, the station tested exotic trees for planting in California, established plantations for management studies, and produced . . . — Map (db m119875) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Playa Del Rey — Dockweiler Hang Gliding Center
The coastal bluffs of Isadore B. Dockweiler State Beach have played host to modern Hang Gliders since 1966, and are considered to be the birthplace of modern Hang Gliding in the United States. The soft gentle slopes and smooth coastal breezes . . . — Map (db m118364) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — “The Ink Well”A Place Of Celebration and Pain
The beach near this site between Bay and Bicknell Streets, known by some as "the Ink Well”, was an important gathering place for African Americans long after racial restrictions on public beaches were abandoned in 1927.

African-American . . . — Map (db m124367) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Sierra Madre — Mount Wilson Trail
Made in 1864 by Benjamin (Don Benito) Wilson, to bring down timber for his ranch. Up this trail pack burros carried telescope and materials for the first Mt. Wilson Observatory, established by Harvard College in 1889. Orchard Camp (the Half-Way . . . — Map (db m123036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 18 — Cawston Ostrich Farm1896 - 1935
In 1885, Edwin Cawston chartered a ship for the purpose of transporting from South Africa to America some of the best ostriches obtainable in the world. Of the original 50 fine birds only 18 survived the five week voyage to Galveston and hazardous . . . — Map (db m130144) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Stevenson Ranch — 516 — First Commercial Oil Well In CaliforniaPico #4
On this site stands CSO-4 (Pico #4), California's first commerically productive well. It was spudded in early 1876, under the direction of Demetrius G. Scofield, later to become first president of Standard Oil Company of California, and was . . . — Map (db m114496) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Lest We Forget1971 Sylmar Earthquake
This tablet presented February 9, 1979, to the Veterans Memorial Park, in loving memory of the many veterans, nurses, and aides of the San Fernando Valley Veterans Hospital, whose lives were lost during the earthquake of February 9, 1971. — Map (db m134140) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens, Van Nuys, opened in 1966 at a construction cost of $4 milion dollars. In 1979, the park closed to make way for a major brewery expansion. At its peak attendance, it was a major San Fernando Valley tourist attraction which was complete . . . — Map (db m125558) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hollywood — Plummer Park
Part of lands occupied by Señora Francisca Perez under preemption law as early as 1869. Surveyed in 1871 as public lands. Deeded by Señora Perez to Eugene R. Plummer in 1877. U.S. patent issued 1880. Purchased by County of Los . . . — Map (db m135251) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Wilmington — 147 — Banning Residence MuseumBanning Park
Built in 1864. Home of Phineas Banning, father of the Los Angeles Harbor. — Map (db m131279) HM
California (Mendocino County), Piercy — Confusion HillCalifornia State Point Of Historical Interest
Confusion Hill was officially listed by the California Office of Historic Preservation as a State Point of Historical Interest 1/29/10

Confusion Hill was opened in 1949 by George Hudson. It consisted of a Gift Shop, Snack Bar . . . — Map (db m120663) HM

California (Modoc County), Alturas — Working Farm RootsThe Creation of Modoc National Wildlife Refuge
The first Euro-Americans arrived in 1870 when Presley A. Dorris, Henry Fitzhugh, and several other Dorris family members drove cattle and horses into the area. With land granted under the Homestead Act, the Dorris family established a livestock . . . — Map (db m113039) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 710 — Robert Louis Stevenson Cabin Site
This tablet, placed by the Club Women of Napa County, marks the site of the cabin occupied in 1880 by Robert Louis Stevenson and bride, while he wrote The Silverado Squatters. Doomed to know not winter, only spring, a being trod the flowery . . . — Map (db m121970) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Coast — 1050 — Crystal Cove Historic District
The early to mid-twentieth century cottages in this last self-contained Southern California beachfront recreational community reflect a unique vernacular architectural design emblematic of "architecture without architects." — Map (db m131231) HM
California (Riverside County), Indian Wells — Eisenhower Mountain
Eisenhower Mountain towers 1,952 feet above Eldorado Country Club, the oldest residential country club in Indian Wells, and the desert home of President and Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower. "Ike" and Mamie spent many winters beneath the peak, . . . — Map (db m113069) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — Moorten Botanical Garden
Site of Moorten’s Desert Land and Botanical Garden, established by Patricia and Cactus Slim Moorten, 1940. — Map (db m131654) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California State Capitol Park
California State Capitol Park History When Spanish governors ruled the California territory, its capital was moved from town to town between San Diego and Monterey. San Jose had already been designated the capital by the time California . . . — Map (db m137646) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — McKinley Rose Garden
McKinley Rose Garden Park History McKinley Park, as we know it today, was opened in 1871 as the privately owned East Park, a name given to it for its location in the undeveloped area, just east of city limits. As a ploy to increase street-car . . . — Map (db m137486) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Pioneer Park
Display 1 Sacramento property owners often adorned their buildings with cast-iron columns like these to embellish their structures and refine the city's overall appearance. If you look closely, a decorative column may feature information . . . — Map (db m113063) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento River Waterfront
Display 1 Before 1848, the Sacramento River waterfront, behind you, was quiet and occupied by few people. New arrivals during the Gold Rush transformed the waterfront rapidly, turning it into a chaotic transportation hub crowded with goods . . . — Map (db m113061) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento's Early Waterfront
John Sutter, a central figure in California's gold rush and Sacramento's early development, would hardly recognize his embarcadero today. Located just north of the present I Street bridge, Sutter's landing in 1848 was little more than a . . . — Map (db m113064) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Spencer Hoofed Animal Complex
This complex of hoofed animal exhibits is dedicated in memory of Anthony A. “Hank” Spencer Zoo Superintendent – 1942 – 1972 “Hank’s” dedication to the Sacramento Zoo provided numerous . . . — Map (db m113463) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — William McKinley Park
William McKinley Park 146 Years of History (1871-2017) Burns Slough McKinley Park has a rich and fascinating history. It began as a natural low swampy area with a flowing stream called Burns Slough. In 1868, levee construction to . . . — Map (db m137570) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Big Bear Lake — 725 — Old Bear Valley Dam
In 1884 Frank Brown built an unusual dam here to supply irrigation water for the Redlands area. The single-arch granite dam formed Big Bear Lake, then the world’s largest man-made lake. Engineers claimed the dam would not hold, and declared it . . . — Map (db m128510) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — Lincoln Memorial ShrineErected by the Watchorn Family
As did their friends the Smiley brothers, Robert and Alma Watchorn contributed greatly to Redlands’ cultural life. A labor organizer, Commissioner of Immigration at Ellis Island, and oilman who experienced the American dream, Robert as a . . . — Map (db m135263) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Twentynine Palms — Champion of the Desert
Minerva Hamilton Hoyt was a Pasadena, California gardener and civic leader who loved desert landscapes. She saw beauty in the desert where others saw an empty wasteland or an opportunity for profit. Mrs. Hoyt believed that outstanding desert . . . — Map (db m116862) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad's First Firehouse
Built in 1942, the North Sector office of California State Parks was the first fire station in northern San Diego County. The Caifornia Division of Forestry (CDF) occupied the building until 1973 when California State parks acquired it.

From . . . — Map (db m128479) HM

California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Heritage Hall
Heritage Hall was built in 1926 as the original sanctuary of St. Patricks Catholic Church. In 1952 it became Carlsbad's first city hall and police station; in the 1960's the first library, the first children's library and later a ballet . . . — Map (db m117802) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Relocating the GazeboThe Twin Inns Gazebo
In 2007, the gazebo had fallen into disrepair and was facing demolition. A group of Carlsbad Hi-Noon Rotarians and community leaders led by L. John Simons, assembled to consider moving and restoring the gazebo. With help from many in the community . . . — Map (db m117974) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — The Twin Inns Gazebo
Originally built in the garden behind the Twins Inn. This gazebo was donated to the city of Carlsbad by Neiman’s Village Faire and moved to the Rotary Park in 1950. It was restored through the generous assistance of the Carlsbad Evening Rotary Club. — Map (db m117957) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — "Imagine Tent City"Dedicated September 2009
On this site in 1900, Coronado Beach Company opened Tent City for vacationers on a budget. Until 1939, thousands of people from Southern California and beyond vacationed here between June and September, enjoying the fresh air, nightly concerts, . . . — Map (db m123189) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Centennial ParkCoronado Centennial 1886-1986
Centennial Park Original site of the Coronado Ferry Landing 1886-1969 Dedicated November 13, 1986 — Map (db m117852) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Star Park
Designed in 1886 as part of the original Coronado City Plan, this park once boasted a star shaped flower garden with a fountain in the center. The five streets, which still exist, radiated from the points of the star. Upkeep of the landscaping . . . — Map (db m68431) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Congressman Phillip Burton1926-1983
Powerful, profane, brilliant, fierce—think about Phil Burton and you have to think in big, dramatic terms. He wasn't a moderate man. Elected to Congress from San Francisco in 1964, he fought for workers' rights, for seniors and people with . . . — Map (db m132243) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Crissy Field Transformed
The view before you to the east is one of the greatest transformations at the Presidio since it became a national park in 1994. Originally a tidal marsh, the wetlands were filled in and leased to build part of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International . . . — Map (db m132490) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Golden Gate Park: A Brief History
Before Golden Gate Park was built there was a great debate on where the park should be located. Three choices were on the table, the current location (at that time called the "outside lands"), the presidio, and a long linear park through Hayes . . . — Map (db m132077) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Historic Trees
. . . — Map (db m132090) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Japanese Tea GardenWorld Villages
In the winter of 1894 the California Midwinter Exposition arrived in Golden Gate Park. Some of the most popular attractions at the fair were exhibits of people from around the world; Native Americans, Egyptians, Aleutians, Hawaiians, Turks, South . . . — Map (db m132112) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Murphy WindmillBackground & History
Windmills, including the Murphy Windmill and the Dutch Windmill to the north, are structures that harness the power of wind energy to perform work. Throughout history, windmills have been used to grind wheat, cut wood, generate electricity, and . . . — Map (db m133577) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Save the PalaceCampaigns and Close Calls
"Therefore, let us preserve our Palace of Fine Arts as long as possible, six months, six years, or any length of time — maybe someday it can be made permanent…” Willis Polk, 1915 It is difficult to contemplate San Francisco . . . — Map (db m131097) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The California Midwinter International Exposition
The Midwinter Exposition covered 160 acres and opened officially on January 27, 1894. 180 structures representing all California Counties, 4 other states, the Arizona Territory, and 18 foreign nations and villages, including a Japanese Village, . . . — Map (db m132056) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Music ConcourseGolden Gate Park Band
The general arrangement of the Music Concourse is based upon Michael O'Shaughnessy's design of the Grand Court for the California Midwinter Exposition of 1894. Remnants of the Midwinter Exposition can still be seen today; the dome-topped bollards . . . — Map (db m132132) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The PPIE ExperienceSomething For Everyone
"The coloring is so soft and wonderful. Blues and reds and greens and yellows and browns and grays are all blended into one perfect whole… It is fairyland." Laura Ingalls Wilder, West from Home. The Palace of Fine Arts is the . . . — Map (db m131099) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose (New Almaden) — 8 — Helping Hand Hall
Built in 1886 by Giles McDougal as social meeting place for miners & families. Included game room, kitchen, library & dance hall with stage patterned after San Francisco's Tivoli Theater. Upstairs rooms use for Hacienda visitors; in summer, arts & . . . — Map (db m114982) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Aptos — Seacliff SS Palo Alto 100 years
Fearing the world might run out of steel, the United States commissioned tankers built of concrete during World War I (1914-1918). Launched in Oakland on May 29, 1919, the SS Palo Alto arrived too late to serve her intended purpose. She remained . . . — Map (db m134748) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — J.D. HowardFather of the Lava Beds National Monument
He owned no car nor house, yet spent much of his life studying the Lava Beds area, walking along the shore of Tule Lake from the town of Merrill. He discovered many geologic features, naming, describing, and photographing them. He was particularly . . . — Map (db m113342) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 17 — The Oxnard Pagoda
The pagoda was built in 1910 to house the pump which supplied water for irrigating the park. It was designed by architect Alfred J. Priest and built by Thomas H. Carroll, contractor. In 1911 the roof was raised to provide room for the band platform. . . . — Map (db m120957) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 37 — Hueneme Slough
W. B. Moranda Park was constructed over the former Hueneme Slough, or lagoon. High tides created this 8-acre body of water surrounded by cattails (tules) making it a haven for water fowl. The Ventura County Railroad crossed the slough on a trestle . . . — Map (db m136194) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 76 — The Ebell Club
The Ebell Club of Santa Paula was organized in 1913. It was the ninth chapter in California. In 1917, Alice Stowell McKevett donated land for Ebell Park and erected the first half of the building in memory of her husband, Charles M. McKevett. The . . . — Map (db m120828) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — SilvertownCorriganville
This town site at Corriganville had many names in Hollywood including Dodge City, Mineral City, Tombstone, and Lone Ranger Ranch. For many of those who visited this town site, however, it was called Silvertown. Whatever the name, people came by the . . . — Map (db m118905) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 10 — Civic CenterThousand Oaks
First City Hall built by the City of Thousand Oaks in 1973 to house administrative offices of the City and the Conejo Recreation and Park District. — Map (db m129362) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Joel McCrea Ranch
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m112694) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 5 — Lang RanchOakbrook Regional Park Archeological Area
Dating as far back as 12,000 years ago until the late 1800’s, Chumash people had established many villages and seasonal encampments in this area due to territorial and ritual privileges and the abundant source of food and water bestowed upon the . . . — Map (db m120179) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Commerce City — Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge
In 1942, women and men of the U.S. Army built this Arsenal that helped achieve victory in WWII and the Cold War. With thanks to our partners, the U.S. Army, Shell Oil Company and their contractors, we dedicate this flagpole to the employees of . . . — Map (db m119380) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Commerce City — The Fourteeners
The Fourteeners There are 58 peaks in the Colorado Rocky Mountains that are above 14,000 feet in height. While 54 are generally acknowledged to be "14ers", most people who want to climb them want to climb all 58. They are contained in six . . . — Map (db m119395) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 5w — D&F Tower and Skyline ParkWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The D&F Tower at the corner of 16th and Arapahoe Streets is all that remains of the Daniels & Fisher department store that stood on this block. After its construction in 1911, the D&F Tower was for many years the tallest building in Denver. . . . — Map (db m135103) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Calhan — GeologyPaint Mines Interpretive Park
Imagine standing here in a tropical hardwood forest 55 million years ago. The forest and ancient soils were later covered by white sandstone of uplifted and later eroded Pikes Peak Granite. The sandstone is known as the Dawson Arkose Formation. Its . . . — Map (db m135458) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — A Priceless Gift
In 1879, General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs, convinced his friend, Charles Elliot Perkins to purchase land in Garden of the Gods. Perkins eventually bought a total of 480 spectacular acres surrounding the Gateway Rocks, . . . — Map (db m135547) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — A Priceless GiftGarden of the Gods Park
In 1879, General William Jackson Palmer, founder of Colorado Springs, convinced his friend Charles Elliot Perkins to purchase land in Garden of the Gods. Perkins eventually bought a total of 480 spectacular acres surrounding the Gateway Rocks, . . . — Map (db m135646) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — The Garden of the Gods
Given to the City of Colorado Springs in 1909 by the children of Charles Elliott Perkins In fulfilment of his wish that it be kept forever free to the public — Map (db m135023) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Time Frozen In StoneGarden of the Gods Park
This rock formation, called Sentinel Rock, is a geologic treasure. It is composed of two types of rock - a fine sandstone and a gravelly conglomerate. The various layers in this rock were deposited 275 million years ago. During that time, ancient . . . — Map (db m135022) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Automobiles Come to Grand Lake
Automobiles Come to Grand Lake (panel 1) The number of automobiles had become so large that in 1913 the State of Colorado began issuing its first license plates. The 1915 dedication of Rocky Mountain National Park drew 2000 people, . . . — Map (db m129881) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Grand Lake
Grand Lake was formed by glacial action, the ice gouged back into the mountains to the east. As the climate warmed, the glacier melted irregularly, leaving ridges of clay and rocks called moraines. Moraines edge the west and north shore, and are . . . — Map (db m129855) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Public Square
When the town of Grand Lake was platted in 1881, Grand Avenue was designed to be 100 feet wide. Although traffic congestion was not a problem, extra space was allowed for rodeos and horse races. The Public Square was often used for community . . . — Map (db m129840) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Smith Eslick Cottage Camp
In 1882 P.H. Smith settled in Grand Lake. He built a hotel and also operated a sawmill, carpentry shop, and a large resort. Around 1915, along with the Alfred Eslick family, he built this Motor Court, designed to accommodate both visitors and their . . . — Map (db m129857) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith Eslick Cottage Court
The Smith Eslick Cottage Court (panel 1)The Smith-Eslick Cottage Court is believed to be the oldest original-condition motel in the United States. Built at about the same time as the 1915 opening of Rocky Mountain National Park and the . . . — Map (db m129879) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith-Eslick Cottage Camp
Entrepreneur P.H. Smith brought his family to Grand County from Kansas. In 1893 he started a sawmill in Grand Lake and acquired several local properties. A skillful craftsman, P.H. Smith built many significant structures, including the Grand . . . — Map (db m129883) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Why Did They Come?
It's said that Grand Lake has always had tourists. Even the original visitors, the Ute and Arapaho for example, would come in the summer to hunt and fish in the largest natural lake in Colorado, but would leave when winter approached. Then, as now, . . . — Map (db m129882) HM
Colorado (Lake County), Climax — Skiing on Top of the World
In the 1940's and 50's, Climax not only had the highest post office and standard-gauge railroad in the nation, but also one of the state's premier ski areas. The trails of the first area in Colorado to be lit for night skiing were located on the . . . — Map (db m122836) HM
Colorado (Lake County), Climax — Water Treatment Protects Downstream Users
By the time Charles Senter staked his claims on Bartlett Mountain in 1879, the trout were gone from Ten Mile Creek. It had been altered by smelting and mining that took place long before Climax began operations. Today, the trout are back. . . . — Map (db m122749) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 4 — Whitman Schoolc. 1925
This building was constructed in 1925, and served as an elementary school until 1965. It and the adjoining park, formerly known as Cottonwood, were named the Whitman School and Whitman Park, in honor of frontier missionary Marcus Whitman, who . . . — Map (db m120079) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Unionville — Suburban Park 1895-1905
Also known as Rainbow Park, Suburban Park was owned and operated by the Farmington Street Railway Company, which charged fifteen cents for the one hour and fifteen-minute ride from Hartford. At thirty-five acres, the park extended well into . . . — Map (db m134917) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Pardee Rose Garden
Pardee Rose Garden Planted and Maintained under the Will and Bequest of William Scranton Pardee of this City as a lasting Memorial of his Mother Nancy Maria English Pardee MCMXXII — Map (db m34721) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — The History of the Howell Mill Site
1680 Alexander Humphrey obtains title to 600 acres south of Isaac Branch. The tract is called Brecknock. 1740 John Hill builds the first mill at Brecknock. 1746 John Clayton, Jr. purchases the mill at Brecknock from John Hill. . . . — Map (db m131998) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The GreenFirst State National Historical Park
William Penn established the town of Dover in 1683. As surveyed in 1717, the town featured three public squares including The Green. Surrounded by government buildings, shops, homes, and taverns, The Green became the heart of Dover. During the . . . — Map (db m131997) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 70 years ago from this spot
Created during the Great Depression, this garden's first plants were 670 roses donated by Mr. Jasper Crane. In 2001, the Friends of Wilmington Parks began restoration to return the garden to its original state. — Map (db m131157) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
Brandywine Park was created to give urban residents relief from city living and working conditions. A young woman is pictured sitting atop an outcropping of Brandywine Blue Rock in 1897. — Map (db m131158) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
In this photo from about 1913, park visitors enjoy the ice along with their dogs. A series of cold winters made ice skating on the Brandywine River a popular pastime. The dam pictured is the remnant of an early mill in Wilmington. — Map (db m131163) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......more than 100 years ago from this spot
The Sugar Bowl, built in 1902, was so named because of its lid-like domed roof. It was used as a concert site and venue for community programs. The Sugar Bowl eventually fell into disrepair and was reduced to a plaza and chain link fence. . . . — Map (db m131165) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 50 years ago from this spot
The Josephine Fountain has been drawing visitors to Brandywine Park since the 1930s. The fountain was built in honor of Mrs. Josephine Tatnall Smith who enjoyed walking through the park. Here families and couples enjoy a cool spring day in the . . . — Map (db m131170) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — North Memories of Brandywine Park
Brandywine Park was created more than a century ago and has remained a quiet refuge in the heart of Wilmington ever since. In 1881, local businessman William Poole Bancroft recognized that the growing city of Wilmington had no public open . . . — Map (db m130510) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Old Soldiers' Park
Early in the 1890s, Civil War Union veterans claimed a small corner of Brandywine Park as a place to congregate in good weather. The familiar sight of the old soldiers sitting regularly in that area led people to call the spot "Old Soldiers' Park." . . . — Map (db m131159) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — The Rose GardenBeautiful, Versatile, and "Green" Roses
Roses possess a rare combination of texture, fragrance, form and color that elevates them to royal status among flowers. Known to have been cultivated in gardens throughout history, roses have been grown for medicinal qualities, religious symbolism, . . . — Map (db m115937) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Park DesignersMeridan Hill Park, National Historic Landmark — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Noted landscape architects George Burnap and Horace Peaslee, who worked in the Office of Public Buildings and Grounds, designed Meridian Hill Park under the guidance of the Commission of Fine Arts. By 1914, Burnap had completed his basic design: a . . . — Map (db m63952) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Visionary and Park ChampionMeridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Meridian Hill Park might never have been built had it not been for the determination of Mary Foote Henderson (1846 - 1931). For 22 years, she lobbied Congress for funds to buy the land and build the park. Congress's 1910 vote to authorize . . . — Map (db m63934) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — John A. Wilson, D.P.S. '921943-1993
"You are the trustees of the planet. Cherish it, love it—it is all we have." The George Washington University Commencement February 16, 1992 This park was established to honor the memory of John A. . . . — Map (db m114964) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Peirce MillForest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
In the 1820s, Isaac Peirce built the mill that exists today on land he purchased in 1794. In 1892, Rock Creek Park was established and the Federal Government acquired the mill. Artist: Mary Belcher Art on Call is sponsored by . . . — Map (db m114361) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Rock Creek Park
Rock Creek Park was created by Congress in 1890 through the lobbying efforts of local philanthropist Charles C. Glover. Its original 1,754 acres taken mainly by eminent domain constitutes the largest urban park in America - twice the size of New . . . — Map (db m120161) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Rose Park Recreation CenterAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 26th and O Streets, NW —
Rose Park Playground was established in 1918 by the Ancient Order of the Sons and Daughters of Moses to serve African American children. The city acquired it in 1922. Georgetown neighbors ignored the segregation rules at this "colored" facility, . . . — Map (db m120439) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Langdon — Chuck Brown Memorial Park
[Plaque on sculpture along 20th Street] A Celebration of Chuck Brown (1936-2012) The fundamental force behind Go-Go music -- Using music, story-telling, and rhythm to help create a culture of inclusion and participation in . . . — Map (db m130826) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — The Paving Stone Archaeological SiteVirginia Avenue, SE
Diagonal Virginia Avenue, SE and rectangular Virginia Avenue Park are two of the many features that characterize the L'Enfant Plan. Eventually, cut granite block paving stones were installed on Virginia Avenue, SE and most likely due to the . . . — Map (db m136584) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — Virginia Avenue Tunnel (1906-2015)Virginia Avenue Tunnel
As automobile and streetcar use increased during the early 20th century, at-grade railroad crossings created safety hazards throughout the city. To address this issue, the newly formed Philadelphia, Baltimore & Washington Railroad extended the . . . — Map (db m136835) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Discover DC / Metro Center
Welcome to downtown Washington, DC — an area rich in history, culture, and places to see. You will enjoy visiting the following sites in the vicinity of this sign. [Clockwise from top left:] Old Post Office Pavilion The Old . . . — Map (db m114658) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Riggs Park — Legacy Memorial ParkDistrict of Columbia Parks & Recreation
The Legacy Memorial Park is dedicated to honor the nine lives lost on June 22, 2009 as a result of an unprecedented train collision. Designed collaboratively by Hunt Laudi Studio with sculptor Barbara Liotta and built through a partnership . . . — Map (db m115359) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Rock Creek Park — Peirce MillRock Creek Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Welcome to Peirce Mill, a National Park Service site within Rock Creek Park. This land was once part of a large complex of buildings and fields, marking the historical intersection of the agricultural and industrial ages. Explore and enjoy. . . . — Map (db m114362) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — River Bottom to ParklandNational Mall and Memorial Parks — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Where you are standing was originally the bottom of the Potomac River. The shoreline roughly paralleled 15th Street, skirted around the Washington Monument which stood almost at the river's edge, and then followed what is now the current route of . . . — Map (db m135435) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Theodore Roosevelt Island — NaturalistTheodore Roosevelt Island, George Washington Memorial Parkway — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
A curious youth growing up in New York City, Theodore Roosevelt enjoyed observing nature. His early passion for birds led him outdoors to a lifelong pursuit of exploration, adventure, and scientific discovery. Later, as a young man living in the . . . — Map (db m127157) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Alachua Sink
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — Map (db m126294) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Devil's MillhopperRegistered Natural Landmark
Devil’s Millhopper has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation’s natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man’s environment . . . — Map (db m125200) HM
Florida (Broward County), Dania Beach — F-652 — Colored Beach at John U. Lloyd State Park
African Americans living in South Florida in the earlier part of the 20th century drove from as far away as Palm Beach and Miami to use Fort Lauderdale’s beaches, but met with significant resistance from oceanfront property owners. On May 14, 1946, . . . — Map (db m127513) HM
Florida (Clay County), Keystone Heights — F-1033 — Magnolia Lake State Park
Situated on the site of Camp Blanding, between Sandhill and Brooklyn lakes, are the remnants of Magnolia Lake State Park. A relic from the time of segregation, Magnolia Lake was built to provide separate facilities to serve African American . . . — Map (db m135964) HM
Florida (Collier County), Naples — Lester J. and Dellora A. Norris
In grateful appreciation to Lester J. and Dellora A. Norris Acquisition of this park was made possible when Lester J. and Dellora A. Norris arranged the purchase of the land on April 24, 1964, through their St. Charles, . . . — Map (db m15877) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — Falling Creek Falls
Falling Creek Falls Park is a cooperative venture between the Suwannee River Water Management District (SRWMD) and the Columbia County Board of County Commissioners. The SRWMD acquired the land through the Preservation 2000 land acquisition program . . . — Map (db m126089) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Marineland — MarinelandOf Florida
Founded in 1937 as Marine Studios The World’s First Oceanarium. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places April 14, 1986 by the Keeper of the National Register, United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m116297) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — Historic Franklin SquareEarly Development Patterns Focused on Neighborhoods
Apalachicola’s layout was organized in the mid 1830s by the Apalachicola Land Company. The original plan, patterned after the City of Philadelphia, featured a one-mile square grid with a large central square and smaller squares surrounding it. Each . . . — Map (db m121998) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Carrabelle — The Legend of Tate's Hell
Jebediah Tate was a superstitious farmer that lived northwest of Carrabelle in Sumatra Florida. His only son was born just before the war and he named him Cebe. Jebediah was a Civil War veteran, and his wife was half Cherokee Indian. He bought 160 . . . — Map (db m122000) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Picnic Island
During the Spanish-American War in 1898, Port Tampa was the port of embarkation for U.S. Troops going to Cuba to fight An area known as Picnic Island was where the soldiers practiced close order drill and simple maneuvers while tented here. It also . . . — Map (db m130375) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Thonotosassa — Old Fort King Trail
Old Fort King Trail is near the original Fort King Road. During the Second Seminole War, Fort King Road served as the main transportation and communication route between Fort Brooke (Tampa) and the Seminole Agency at Fort King (Ocala). Following an . . . — Map (db m126033) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-403 — McKee Jungle Gardens
This is the original site of McKee Jungle Gardens, one of Florida’s earliest tourist attractions. McKee Gardens was founded in 1932 by Vero Beach pioneer Waldo Sexton and Cleveland industrialist Arthur G. McKee. They engaged William Lyman Phillips, . . . — Map (db m92562) HM
Florida (Lake County), Altoona — Florida Black Bear Scenic BywayDiscover the Wild Florida of the Naturalists
Marjorie Harris Carr - Tireless Conservationist Marjorie Harris Carr's most prominent legacy on the byway was to halt the construction of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. Over the long 1962-1971 battle, she enlisted citizen's groups, formed an . . . — Map (db m131087) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria — The Old City Jail
In 1927, a particularly rowdy tavern and dance hall on the beach near Spring Avenue rapidly disturbed the quiet town of Anna Maria. Town mayor Mitch Davis built a jail to lock up the offenders. The jail was unique. With only bars on the windows, . . . — Map (db m131307) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria Island — The Historic Cottages of Pine Avenue
In 1911, a group of businessmen from Anna Maria Island and St. Petersburg founded the Anna Maria Beach Company to develop the island into a resort community. The company cleared land, laid out streets and sidewalks, dug wells and laid water . . . — Map (db m131380) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — De Soto Trail MonumentDe Soto National Memorial
The De Soto Trail Monument was placed here by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America. The granite monument was dedicated on May 30, 1939, during the 400th anniversary of the landfall of the Hernando de Soto expedition. In 1948 this . . . — Map (db m125323) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Long Pier Veterans Memorial
“The Long Pier" Dedicated To Our Veterans Past, Present & Future Who Protect Our Freedom — Map (db m131206) WM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Old Cabbage HeadManatee Village Historical Park
For generations, Old Cabbage Head symbolized the Old Manatee and Bradenton communities. Children, who climbed aboard in play, later watched their own children pretend there. In 2006, the Bradenton Kiwanis Club relocated . . . — Map (db m131004) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Shaw's Point Archeological DistrictDe Soto National Memorial — Riverview Pointe —
Riverview Pointe and De Soto National Memorial are part of the Shaw's Point Archeological District. This thirty-five-acre archeological district is on the National Register of Historic Places and preserves a large prehistoric coastal village site . . . — Map (db m125370) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Smokehouse, Syrup Kettle and Sugar Cane Mill
A smokehouse was a necessary part of every rural pioneer home in early American history due to the lack of refrigeration for fresh meat storage. As part of the preservation process, cuts of meat, primarily pork and sausage, were hung on racks in the . . . — Map (db m131207) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — From Disaster to Award-Winning Design
On June 17, 1955, a fire "of undetermined origin" raced through several of the attractive, 1949 Spanish-style buildings, including the gift shop, café, and offices. Victor A. Lundy, an architect from Sarasota, was selected to design the new . . . — Map (db m132198) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — Steamboats at the Spring
The first paddle-wheel steamboat to operate in northeast Florida was the Florida in 1834, running once a week from Savannah, Georgia to Picolata on the St. Johns River. After the Civil War, in late 1860s, travelers from northern states . . . — Map (db m132199) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Edge of "Progress" / Al Margen del "Progreso"
The Edge of "Progress" (English) Imagine standing at this spot and watching tanker ships approach an oil refinery directly ahead of you. In the distance to your right, a causeway connects the Florida mainland to a new city on the . . . — Map (db m131792) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Edge of Discovery / Margen del Descubrimiento
The Edge of Discovery (English) Ponce de Leon is said to have named this place after the Bay of Biscay in his native Spain. A reef near the northern end of the park is dubbed “Fowey” after the British warship that wrecked . . . — Map (db m131794) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Cause for Conservation
Cause for Conservation "The wild unspoiled beauty of Cape Florida - 510 acres of pines, palms, and beach at the tip of Key Biscayne - has long been hailed...as a natural park and nature reserve." "Eight years ago, The Miami News urged . . . — Map (db m134818) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Dade Heritage Trust’s Cape Florida Lighthouse Brick Program
Dade Heritage Trust’s Cape Florida Lighthouse Brick Program Dade Heritage Trust is the leading voice for historic preservation in Miami-Dade County. Founded as a nonprofit in 1972, Dade Heritage Trust works to preserve the architectural, . . . — Map (db m134814) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Historical Marker #1: The Concession Stand
When Virginia Beach Park officially opened to the public in 1945, a prefabricated "snack bar" was among the site's first amenities. A 1947 hurricane destroyed it. In 1951, this permanent concession stand was constructed. For decades, park and beach . . . — Map (db m120685) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Historical Marker #2 Dance Pavilion
A 1918 map located a "Negro Dance Pavilion" on Virginia Key. When Virginia Key Beach Park opened in 1945, a concrete dance floor was included on this site. Beach visitors danced the Lindy Hop, Foxtrot, Twist, Monkey, Mash Potato, Robot, and Hustle . . . — Map (db m120688) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Road to Restoration
Road to Restoration Years of weather and wear left the Lighthouse in need of tender love and care. The road to restoration for the Cape Florida Lighthouse was long, but exciting. First, craftsmen laid approximately 23,000 bricks to repair . . . — Map (db m134816) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Life Along the Tamiami
The Tamiami Trail changed life in South Florida forever. Crossing the state went from being a multi-day sea and train journey through the Keys to a motor car drive of only a few hours. It opened up access to an area that was considered by most to be . . . — Map (db m132095) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Mary Brickell Park
The Tequesta Indians were the indigenous people of Miami prior to European contact. Mary Brickell Park encompasses a portion of what was the largest Tequesta village in southeast Florida. Archaeological evidence reveals that this site was in use . . . — Map (db m65648) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-923 — Tinker Field
Side 1 Joe Tinker (1880-1948) was an Orlando real estate developer and professional baseball player. While playing with the Chicago Cubs from 1906 to 1910, Tinker won four pennants, two World Series championships, and was part of a famous . . . — Map (db m120473) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-975 — West Palm Beach Fishing Club
Founded in 1934, the West Palm Beach Fishing Club (WPBFC) is among the last of Florida's great angling clubs. It was pivotal in boosting Florida tourism during and after the Great Depression and promoting the appeal of sport fishing. The club’s . . . — Map (db m127264) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Price ParkCirca 1967
Price Park is part of the W.T. Anderson's addition (platted in 1888) and the Chas. H. Robinson's addition (platted in 1906). The park is the former site of the A.F. Price home purchased in 1917 from W.I. Porter. Alfred Francis "Frank" Price . . . — Map (db m136020) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Wesley Chapel — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for . . . — Map (db m131647) WM
Florida (Pinellas County), Crystal Beach — F-963 — Gulf Shore Park
Crystal Beach is one of the original communities in Pinellas County. The first settlers came to the area and began homesteading around 1850. In 1912, land developers Dr. J.D. Hanby and A.D. Powers of the Crystal Beach Development Co. platted the . . . — Map (db m120365) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — F-965 — Fort De Soto Batteries and Military Post
After the United States' entry into the Spanish American War, Tampa citizens demanded increased coastal defenses. In November 1898, construction began on a new military post on Mullet Key. Fort De Soto, named in 1900, featured 29 post buildings, . . . — Map (db m120357) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — Fort De Soto Quartermaster Storehouse Museum
The Fort De Soto Quartermaster Storehouse Museum is a reconstruction of the Army Quartermaster Storehouse at Fort De Soto in the early 1900s. This building was used primarily as a warehouse for supplies from 1905 until 1910. At one point, the Army . . . — Map (db m131894) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — ‘Mute Swan Protecting Her Cygnets’by Ian G. Brennan 2012
Ian G. Brennan, Sculptor to the ‘Most noble Order of the Garter” and “Most Honourable Order of the Bath’, has been a contemporary sculptor and woodcarver to the British Royal Household since 1989. ‘Mute Swan . . . — Map (db m131271) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Allen Kryger(1935 – 2002)
Allen Kryger was a scientist and local businessman who specialized in supplying citrus flavoring. Born in Chicago, Illinois, he graduated from the University of Notre Dame and received a doctorate of organic chemistry from . . . — Map (db m130568) HM
Florida (Polk County), Polk City — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, human . . . — Map (db m131275) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Ravine State GardensFederal Emergency Relief Administration Project — 1933-1934 —
Federal Emergency Relief Administration Project 1933-1934 — Map (db m130087) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Suspension Bridges and Amphitheater1933-Today
The natural ravine was developed into Ravine Gardens in the 1930s by the City of Palatka and the Federal Government. The suspension bridges and amphitheater built at that time have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. . . . — Map (db m130074) HM
Florida (Santa Rosa County), Gulf Breeze — F-642 — Live Oaks and Naval Ship Timbers
This is the site of the first federal tree farm in the United States. Live oaks were once valued for their superior shipbuilding qualities. The U.S.S. Constellation and U.S.S. Constitution ("Old Ironsides), both launched in 1797, were built of live . . . — Map (db m120490) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), North Port — Prehistoric Man Lived Here/Spring Was Once a Cave
Prehistoric Man Lived Here More than 10,000 years ago prehistoric man, sabre-tooth cats, giant sloths, mammoths and mastodons lived in this area of Florida which eons later became a part of Sarasota County. Warm Mineral Springs, here, and . . . — Map (db m128664) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Osprey — South Creek Trestle / Oscar Scherer History
South Creek Trestle In early 1900 Seaboard Air Line Railroad (SAL) controlled 2,600 miles of track stretching from Virginia to Florida. In 1911 SAL constructed a 16.5-mile extension from Sarasota (Fruitville Junction) to Venice. The bridge . . . — Map (db m125012) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain/Luke Wood Park
Side 1

Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain

Mable Ringling, born Armilda Burton on March 4, 1875, married John Ringling on 1905 and became a Sarasota winter resident in 1911. Mable, an avid gardener, created the formal Ca'd'Zan rose . . . — Map (db m121011) HM

Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Ramey FieldNaval Air Station Sanford
Ramey Field Dedicated To LCDR Robert W. Ramey United States Navy 1920 - 1958 Who sacrificed his life on June 2, 1958 saving the lives of his crew members when the A3D aircraft, of which he was pilot, crashed February 6, . . . — Map (db m135185) HM WM
Florida (St. Johns County), Saint Augustine — Haley's Court Sign
This original motor court sign is an icon of the Vilano Beach tourism boom of the 1940s and 50s. Haley’s Court was one of several art-moderne styled, family oriented motels lining Vilano Road at mid-century. This sign was donated to St. . . . — Map (db m125692) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), Saint Augustine — F-555 — Vilano Beach Casino(1926-1939)
Formerly at this site stood the Vilano Beach Casino, constructed in 1926-27. Casinos of the early 1900s were a source of social entertainment. Gambling was not provided. Big name bands from New York, vaudeville acts, theme parties and dances were . . . — Map (db m125688) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Castillo de San MarcosCastillo de San Marcos National Monument
Castillo de San Marcos (English) Explore the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States. For hundreds of years Castillo de San Marcos has watched over St. Augustine. From the upper gun deck, see how this massive fort guarded . . . — Map (db m127753) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Fort MoseFort Mose Historic State Park
All that remains of Fort Mose is underground - on the island before you, and in the surrounding salt marsh. Working together, archaeologists and historians have pieced together the story of Fort Mose using historic documents, maps, aerial . . . — Map (db m126972) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — The St. Augustine AmphitheatreAnastasia Island State Park
This 2,000 seat theater is built on the site of the royal Spanish quarry, where the native shellstone called coquina was dug and ferried across Matanzas Bay for the construction of Castillo de San Marcos and many other early structures in colonial . . . — Map (db m127362) HM

1511 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1311
Paid Advertisement