Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historic Aviation Historical Markers

 
Packard Takes Flight: Charles Lindbergh Visits the Proving Grounds Marker - upper left image image, Touch for more information
Image courtesy of The Packard Motor Car Foundation.
Packard Takes Flight: Charles Lindbergh Visits the Proving Grounds Marker - upper left image
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Packard Takes Flight Charles Lindbergh Visits the Proving Grounds
The "Master Motor Builders" at Packard made some of the world's best engines for both automobiles and aircraft. Packard first manufactured aircraft engines during World War I and continued after that war. Packard used the nearly mile-long . . . — Map (db m137673) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Taking Flight with Stinson Aircraft Corporation
Detroit was abuzz with aviation fever in the 1920s. Eddie Stinson, a successful aviator and stunt pilot, gained financing from Detroiters to build and test-fly the prototype Stinson Detroiter airplane — the first airplane with an . . . — Map (db m137695) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Four Powered Flights
The Wright brothers made four successful sustained powered flights the morning of December 17, 1903. The commemorative granite boulder and replica monorail mark the lift-off point of those four flights, the numbered markers the terminating point. . . . — Map (db m136217) HM
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Ocean Shores — Captain Robert Gray
Tradition links this tree with the name of Captain Robert Gray who on May 7th 1792, entered this harbor in his ship Columbia. This tablet was erected in his honor by Robert Gray Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m117933) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — The Old Shell House
Built by the US Navy in 1918 as a hangar to house amphibious aircraft for the aviation training corps, this building served as the University of Washington's shell house from 1920 to 1949. Several generations of Husky oarsmen trained here, including . . . — Map (db m135912) HM

5 markers matched your search criteria.  
 
Paid Advertisement