Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Industry & Commerce Historical Markers

 
Abraham Blish Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brandon D Cross, September 21, 2019
Abraham Blish Marker
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — Abraham Blish
Original Settler with the Barnstable Colony in 1640. Selected Grand Juror, Hayward, Constable, and Highway Surveyor. Served with Militia of the Colony of New Plymouth. In 1658, he built and operated one of the First Grist Mills in . . . — Map (db m140492) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — A Whale Bone Welcome
Inviting guests to step through the massive jawbones of a whale may seem an unusual way to say, “Welcome to our home.” But for Captain Edward Penniman, there could be no more appropriate greeting. Born in Eastham, Captain Penniman earned . . . — Map (db m111659) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — Eastham WindmillCape Cod's Oldest
Built in Plymouth 1680 by Thomas Paine of Eastham. Moved to Truro, 1770. Moved to Eastham, 1793. Moved to this location, 1808. — Map (db m52648) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Eastham — There’s No Place Like Home
Edward Penniman’s career as a man of the sea began at age 11. At 21, he was harpooning with the New Bedford, Massachusetts whaling fleet. By the time he was 29, he was master of his own whaling ship. Captain Penniman’s seven whaling voyages spanned . . . — Map (db m111660) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Hyannis — 2 — Main St. HyannisHyannis Kennedy Legacy Trail
Main Street, Hyannis in the 1960s was filled with activity. Shops were bustling, and supporters of John F. Kennedy, running for president, lined the streets. Since JFK based much of his campaigning out of the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port, . . . — Map (db m144001) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Orleans — French–Atlantic Cable Company
French – Atlantic cable company Cape Cod station 1890 – 1959. Oldest cable on Atlantic bed. From storm isolated Cape, first world news of steamer Portland lost off Truro with 200 lives; flashed from Orleans to Brest, France and back over . . . — Map (db m77557) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Orleans — Jonathan Young Mill
Built circa 1720 in South Orleans, later moved to the center of town. It was moved to Hyannisport in 1897. In 1983, the structure was given to the Orleans Historical Society by the Groves family. The society then donated it to the town. Dismantled . . . — Map (db m59979) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Orleans — Keeping the Light for 114 YearsNauset Lighthouse
”All the towers leaking bad. Everything all wet and in poor order Log entry by Keeper Nathan Gill, 1874 Taking care of a lighthouse was demanding. The keeper was tasked with keeping the lights burning no . . . — Map (db m141388) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Orleans — The French Transatlantic Telegraph Cable, 1898IEEE Milestone
The submarine telegraph cable known as Le Direct provided communication between Europe and North America without intermediate relaying. In a remarkable feat of oceanic engineering, the cable was laid in the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean . . . — Map (db m141616) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Orleans — The Schooner Montclair
: Helm from the Schooner Montclair Wrecked on Pochy Bar March 4, 1927 — Map (db m141641) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Orleans — The Whale of Orleans
Whales and humans have long shared the coastline of Cape Cod. Native Americans harvested whales the washed up on the beaches, almost exclusively for food, long before the arrival of European colonists. While anchored in what would become . . . — Map (db m141867) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Sandwich — Dexter’s Grist Mill
Thomas Dexter began building gristmills on this site in 1637. The mill you see here today started operating in about 1654. The early settlers of Sandwich brought their corn to “The Grist Mill” to be ground into meal, . . . — Map (db m140436) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Sandwich — Sandwich Town Hall/Mill Creek
Sandwich Town Hall Built in 1834, this columned Greek Revival, continues to serve as the seat of town government and is one of the oldest town halls in New England. In 2009, the building was beautifully and accurately restored and . . . — Map (db m140508) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Wellfleet — Marconi Wireless Station
Here stood one of the world’s greatest pioneer radio stations, Marconi’s South Wellfleet wireless, or “Old CC.” Unfortunately, the historic station was dismantled and abandoned in 1920, and the ocean has eroded away over half the land . . . — Map (db m141102) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Wellfleet — Transatlantic Triumph
Guglielmo Marconi successfully transmitted wireless telegraph signals as early is 1890 – between tin plates mounted on post in his father’s garden in Italy. He was only sixteen years old. Inspired by short range successes, Marconi . . . — Map (db m141101) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Adams — Renfrew Manufacturing Company World War Honor Roll

In a righteous cause they have won immortal glory and have nobly served their nation in serving mankind

[Died in service] William Douglas • Martin Lauer • Lambert Lenhardt

[Honor Roll of Veterans] Joseph Abraham • Richard . . . — Map (db m118640) WM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Great Barrington — Alternating Current Electrification1886 — IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering and Computing —
On 20 March 1886 William Stanley provided alternating current electrification to offices and stores on Main Street in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He thus demonstrated the first practical system for providing electrical illumination using . . . — Map (db m58988) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Great Barrington — Memorial Street Light
Memorial Street Light erected by Massachusetts Electric Company June 28, 1986 in recognition of William Stanley and his contributions to the Electric Utility Industry — Map (db m58987) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Great Barrington — William Stanley
William Stanley 1858     1916 Inventor His genius made Great Barrington the first community to be lighted by alternating current in March 1886. Monument erected by the Rotary Club of Great Barrington on its fiftieth anniversary. May 18th . . . — Map (db m58972) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Great Barrington — William Stanley OverlookHousatonic River Walk
William Stanley (1858-1916) devised an innovative electric distribution system using an alternating-current transformer. His laboratory was in Horace Day’s rambling, vacant rubberwear factory, the foundation of which is just visible on the . . . — Map (db m107662) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), New Marlborough — Elihu Burritt"The Learned Blacksmith" — 1810-1879 —
. . . — Map (db m136848) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), New Marlborough — Historic Town Meeting
On July 11, 1774, the people of New Marlborough Township assembled in their first Meeting-House here to record their opposition to certain acts of the British Parliament. On that day – nearly a year before the Battle of Bunker Hill – . . . — Map (db m136846) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Hancock Shaker Village

has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark

under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m118819) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), South Williamstown — South Williamstown Five Corners

Site of first cabin built by Isaac Stratton in 1762; first tavern, built by Samuel Sloan in 1767; town meetings in second story hall built by John Jordan in early 1830's. — Map (db m118574) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Acushnet — White's Factory(1831)
A mill dam was first built on this site in 1746. About 1799, William White, Sr. built a stone water-powered cotton mill for himself and three of his sons, Phineas, William and Benjamin. That mill, one of the earliest in the country, burned down . . . — Map (db m16723) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Attleboro — Last Wooden Bridge
These arches replace the last wooden bridge on the main line constructed in 1880 Henry A. Whitney pres't. Albert A. Folsom sup't. George F. Folsom Eng'r. — Map (db m55671) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Attleboro — The Old Shuttle Shop
Built in 1827 by Col. Willard Blackinton

Stone Placed by Attleboro Historic Commission Given to the city of Attleboro by Mr. and Mrs William A. Nerney 1970 — Map (db m72444) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Ernestina's Many Lives
Docked across from you (when not at sea as a sail training and education vessel), Ernestina is one of the oldest wooden sailing vessels afloat. The ship is also one of the last surviving Gloucester fishing schooners, one of only two remaining . . . — Map (db m86768) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — A Tribute of Respect to Enterprising Whalemen
. . . — Map (db m86653)
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Cape Verde to New Bedford
For many Cape Verde Islanders, the New bedford wharf area was the first view of America. At the height of immegration between 1900 and 1921, more than a dozen packet boats ran between Cape Verde and New Bedford, the main port of entry. Packet . . . — Map (db m86766) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Captain Paul Cuffe
Captain Paul Cuffe Paul Cuffe (1759-1817) was a sea captain, merchant, philanthropist, community leader, civil rights advocate and abolitionist. Here are some significant details about his life. Westport, MA: site of the . . . — Map (db m77468) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Captain Paul Cuffe's Atlantic World
London Cuffe sought support in London from the African Institution - a group that was committed "to stimulating trade with Africa, without itself trading, to promote African education and improved farming methods, and to be a . . . — Map (db m86901) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Centre StreetUtility over Elegance
The view down Centre Street has changed little over the years, and no street in New Bedford served the whaling industry longer. Little finery can be seen in the facades of these buildings, for this was a working waterfront, where utility overrode . . . — Map (db m58182) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Colonel George Claghorn
Text on the Bronze Plaque Near this Site was located the shipyard of Colonel George Claghorn Builder of U.S. Frigate Constitution and Ship Rebecca the first whaler to double Cape Horn. His service in the . . . — Map (db m86782) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Commonwealth of ToilLongshoremen’s Union
On this site in 1936, Cape Verdean and Portuguese dockworkers formed Locals 1413 and 1465 of the International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA). Prior to organizing, these dockworkers were chosen daily, based only on their physical ability, and had . . . — Map (db m1614) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Dedicated as a Tribute
Text on Front side of Monument: Dedicated as a Tribute to the sturdy whalemen who early won fame for New Bedford and their successors who, inheriting ideals and resourcefulness gave to the city new prominence . . . — Map (db m86677)
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Double Bank
Seeing Double As you gaze across Water Street toward the eight-pillar institution, compare closely what you see in the photograph with what stands here today. Built in 1831, the building was designed by architect Russell Warren. For 61 years the . . . — Map (db m58192) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — From Whales to Bales
A one-industry whaling town before the Civil War, New Bedford became a one-industry textile town afterward. Cotton bales and coal, both bound for the city's new textile mills, began to replace oil casks on New Bedford wharves. Oil casks . . . — Map (db m86731) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — From Whales to Flatfish and Scallops
The boats you see in the harbor today are mostly commercial fishing vessels - primarily draggers and scallopers; the whaling barks of the past have long since vanished. By the 1930s, just as whaling faded and the textile industry fled to the . . . — Map (db m86680) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Lewis TempleBlacksmith — Inventor of the Iron Toggle Harpoon Tip —
Born in Richmond, Virginia, in 1800, Lewis Temple established himself as a blacksmith on the New Bedford waterfront by 1836. Temple manufactured his first toggle-iron in 1848. Its fastening power revolutionized the catching of whales. The . . . — Map (db m1616) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Merrill's Wharf
On the other side of the Bourne Counting House, the granite building in front of you, is Merrill's Wharf, completed in 1847. The wharf then was the longest in New Bedford port. Built by Edward Merrill for an expanding whaling fleet, this wharf . . . — Map (db m86733) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — New Bedford Historic District
Has been designated a registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the historic sites act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States — Map (db m58196) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Preserving Whaling's LegacyThe New Bedford Whaling Museum
In 1915, in the waning light of whaling's final decade, Emily Howland Bourne financed the construction of a museum building to honor her whaling merchant father, Jonathan Bourne, Jr. This marked the first steadfast effort to preserve New . . . — Map (db m86657) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — The Andrew Robeson House
Change of Address Andrew Robeson, whaling merchant and steadfast abolitionist, built this Federal-style house in 1821 on a lot on North Second Street, diagonally behind you. The estate, with its conservatory, gardens, surrounding elm trees, . . . — Map (db m77505) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — The Benjamin Rodman House
Wealth with a Conscience Early whaling merchants lived in elegant houses along this street. But by the time Benjamin Rodman built this Federal style home in 1821, many of his wealthy friends were moving uphill away from this shoreside . . . — Map (db m76980) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — The Mariner's Home
Home Away from the Sea Whaling men spent much of their lives at sea. The ship was their home. Back in port, most of the poor, unskilled sailors knew no one in New Bedford and were essentially homeless until the next voyage.

In 1850 the . . . — Map (db m58197) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Twentieth-Century WhalingNew Bedford Whaling National Historic Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Twentieth-Century Whaling-As New Bedford’s whaling industry declined in the 19th century, more than a dozen other nations began hunting whales using “modern” Norwegian methods, with fast, steam-powered vessels and heavy-gauge harpoon . . . — Map (db m62387) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Whaleman’s Memorial
“A Dead Whale or a Stove Boat” (inscription on back) In honor of the whalemen whose skill, hardihood and daring brought fame and fortune to New Bedford and made its name known to every seaport on the globe. • Gift of W.W. . . . — Map (db m1626) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Whaling CapitalNew Bedford Whaling National Historic Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Whaling Capital-In 1857, ninety-five ships and barks left these wharves on whaling voyages. In that year the industry reached its peak, and half of the worldwide whaling was conducted from the New Bedford customs district. Before petroleum was . . . — Map (db m62411) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Whaling's Final Days
During the war, we were getting a dollar and a half a gallon for sperm oil. And then around 1922 there was no more demand for sperm oil....The price of sending a ship to sea doubled and the price of oil dropped about 200 percent....And . . . — Map (db m86759) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Norton — Stony BrookChartley Pond Area
This historic area along Stony Brook was named Chartley before 1700. The name is thought to be related to the iron business, which thrived in this area. In 1695, the Taunton North Purchase granted to Thomas and James Leonard land along the . . . — Map (db m55989) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Raynham — Site of the First Successful Iron Works in the Old Colony1656-1876
Built by James Leonard Originally owned by twenty-three of Taunton's first settlers Operated 1777 to 1876 by Hon. Josiah Dean and his descendants as sole owners Erected 1950 by Bertha Dean Adelaide Lord Livingstone Daughter and . . . — Map (db m87253) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan House
Site of Anawan House formerly Lewis Tavern. A haven for travelers between Taunton and Providence Plantations — Map (db m55682) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan House-Inn
Former site of the Anawan House, once called the Lewis Tavern built ca. 1835 as a rest stop for travelers between Taunton and Providence Plantations.

The Anawan House and inn served the public until July 1970.

In February 1971 the building . . . — Map (db m55683) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Bliss-Carpenter Saw & Shingle Mill1729-1870
In 1720, Jonathan Bliss moved here from South Rehoboth and established a sawmill on the East Branch of the Palmer River with a homestead nearby. This homestead was one of the first in the area, and Bliss called it " my farm in the woods" the mill . . . — Map (db m56247) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Cole-Perry Turning Mill1780-1830
The ruins of the old dam are all that remain of the once busy Perry Turning Mill. This mill originally operated as a saw mill in a joint venture by Aaron Cole and Ezra Perry. Perry bought out Cole's share in he early 1800's, and raised the dam, and . . . — Map (db m56249) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Leonard Iron Mine1696 - 1802
Nearby runs Mine Brook named after an iron mine established here in 1696 by the Leonards, a famous iron monger family from Norton and Taunton.

The ore dug at this site called bog iron, was found in the swamp and brook. The Leonards hauled the . . . — Map (db m55679) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Orleans Manufacturing Co.1810-1884 — Also known as Shad Factory —
in 1810 a group of Rehoboth Citizens established Palmer River Manufacturing Company. A cotton spinning mill on the site of the old Joshua Smith grist and saw mill the mill was enlarged about 1826 and began manufacturing fine cotton cloth, as the . . . — Map (db m44924) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Perryville Dam1740 - 1935
It was known as Butterworth Falls in the colonial days. Deacon Thomas Carpenter and later the Perry family maintained the saw-gristmill-turning shop here for almost 200 years — Map (db m55686) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Sabin Sawmill
Site of Sabin Sawmill circa 1695 one of the first sawmills built in Rehoboth — Map (db m55685) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Samual Baker Grist & Sawmill Site1810-1870
Founded by Josiah Millerd in 1731. For over 140 years neighborhood farmers had their corn ground into meal and their logs sawn into lumber at this mill. — Map (db m55917) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Swansea — Site of Jonathan Barney - Mason Barney Shipyard1782-1861
Here were built about 200 ships from small sloops to vessels of 1060 tons which sailed from the Atlantic coast to the China seas. Dedicated to their memory by Algernon H Bell • Carolyn Bell Fenley • Constance Bell Falconer — Map (db m56214) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — Danversport
From 1632-1754 a few farms and native American habitations dotted the woodlands among this land originally granted to pioneer settlers Gov. John Endecott and Rev. Samuel Skelton. On the road to Salem lay the farm of George Jacobs, Sr., a victim . . . — Map (db m43938) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The Plains
Called "Porter's Plain" after 17th century settler John Porter, this level expanse of about one square mile was sparsely inhabited into the mid-18th century.

By the time of the American Revolution, patriot Captain Jeremiah Page had settled . . . — Map (db m38341) HM

Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — Shipbuilders Memorial
Dedicated to the those men of Chebacco and Essex who by the skill of mind and hand within sight of this spot created nearly 4000 wooden vessels 1650-1982 — Map (db m97208) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — Shipyard of 16681630 - 1930
In 1668 the town granted the adjacent acre of land "To the inhabitants of Ipswich for a yard to build vessels and to employ workmen for that end." The shipbuilding industry has continued uninterruptedly in Essex since that date. — Map (db m47495) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — 8 — Cape Ann Granite
Cape Ann lies on an outcropping composed of 450 million-year-old granite polished by glaciers. This particularly dense stone was prized for building monuments, forts, and piers. Blocks of Cape Ann granite were used to build Gloucester's Dale . . . — Map (db m115434) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — 17 — Charles Heberle
Charles Heberle (1862-1956) was sent at age 13 from Virginia to Essex, where for three years he was indentured to the Essex Tannery. Once free, he worked nearby for a dairy farmer, Caleb Cogswell. Soon, Heberle chose waterfront over farm and . . . — Map (db m115439) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — 6 — Salting Fish
“In Its heyday as a salt fish producer; Gorton's… kept dozens of wharves and acres of flake yards busy with the unloading, filleting, salting, drying, boning, cutting, grinding, smoking, boxing, packaging, and canning of the millions upon . . . — Map (db m115459) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Pillow Lace1630 - 1930
From the date of its settlement by John Winthrop and twelve associates, 1630, Agawam (Ipswich) was the seat of pillow lace making, by 1790 the annual production was 41,979 yards. This craft continued until the introduction of lace machinery. — Map (db m47920) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Lynn — Lynn1630-1930
The Indian region called Saugus, settled 1629 by people from the Puritan colony at Salem, named for Lynn Regis in England, 1637. First place in North America to make boots and shoes for export. — Map (db m48071) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Watts' Cellar1630 - 1930
Near this spot was "Watts Cellar," a landmark before the settlement of Newbury in 1635. An excavation used for the storage of fish by fishermen who visited the New England coast. — Map (db m47985) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Town Wharves
Town Wharves First timber wharf built in 1743 to shelter fishing boats. In 1793 62 vessels of 5 to 10 tons were sighted in Rockport Harbor. From incorporation of Sandy Bay Pier Co. in 1811 wharves were rebuilt and extended of durable granite blocks . . . — Map (db m36262) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rowley — First Fulling Mill1630 - 1930
Ten rods west is the site of the first fulling mill in the English colonies, built about the year 1643 by John Pearson. — Map (db m47953) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Capt. John Hodges House - 1750
This house was built in 1750 by Capt. John Hodges, a West Indies trader. In 1788, it passed to his son, Capt. Benjamin Hodges. Benjamin Hodges (1754 – 1806) was one of Salem’s most distinguished sea captains of the . . . — Map (db m115326) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Central Wharf
The grassy strip of land extending into the harbor in front of you was once a busy commercial wharf. In the late 1700s and early 1800s, cargoes from around the world were unloaded on the wharf and stored in warehouses until they were sold. Central . . . — Map (db m86465) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Central WharfSalem Maritime National Historical Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The grassy strip of land extending into the harbor in front of you was once a busy commercial wharf. In the late 1700’s and early 1800s, trade goods from around the world were loaded, unloaded and stored here. Build in 1784, Central Wharf was . . . — Map (db m86467) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Derby Wharf
The wharf in front of you was Salem’s longest, and was once one of the busiest in the nation. During the War of Independence, American privateers sailed from here to prey on British ships on the high seas. After the war, fleets of trading vessels . . . — Map (db m86544) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Derby Wharf
The wharf in front of you was Salem’s longest, and was once one of the busiest in the nation. The first 800 feet of the wharf was begun in 1762 and completed about 1770 by Capt. Richard Derby, Sr. (1712-1783), one of the wealthiest merchants in . . . — Map (db m86545) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Lyceum Hall
In this building on February 12, 1877 Alexander Graham Bell presented the first public demonstration of long distance telephone conversations. Following the demonstration the first news dispatch sent by telephone originated . . . — Map (db m115324) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — On "The Line" 1880-1940
For decades, the main attraction on the line was the Willows Pavilion. This unusual looking structure boasted a roller skating rink and a 300-seat, second-floor restaurant. In the rear tower, a camera obscura projected scenes from the surrounding . . . — Map (db m85995) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Salem Harbor
If Salem was once a prosperous world seaport, it was not due to the geography of the harbor, but to the enterprise of her mariners, tradesmen, and merchants. Unlike other major ports such as New York, Salem Harbor had no major river to link it . . . — Map (db m86540) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Salem Harbor
If Salem was once a prosperous world seaport, it was not due to the geography of the harbor, but to the enterprise of her seamen, tradesmen, and merchants. Unlike other major ports such as New York, Salem Harbor had no major river to link it . . . — Map (db m86541) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Salem Maritime National Historic Site
Welcome to Salem Maritime National Historic Site. The site was established in 1938 to preserve the wharves and historic buildings associated with Salem's contributions to the economic development of the young United States. From its founding in . . . — Map (db m86459) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Salem Maritime National Historic SiteNational Park Service-U.S.Department of the Interior
Salem Maritime National Historic Site-Welcome to Salem Maritime National Historic Site, a unit of the National Park System. Since 1938, this park has preserved the wharves and historic buildings associated with Salem’s prosperous years of overseas . . . — Map (db m86463) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — The Custom House
Inside this impressive building were the offices of the United States Customs Service collectors, inspectors, and other officials. It was here that ship’s captains and owners paid duties on imported goods, ordinarily about 5% of their value. . . . — Map (db m23857) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — The Pedrick Store House
The Pedrick Store House, originally located on Marblehead Harbor, was built by Marblehead merchant Thomas Pedrick (1736-1802) in about 1770. It was first used as a store house for salt and goods from the cod fish trade, with a sail loft on the . . . — Map (db m86521) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — The Point Neighborhood
Salem's Point neighborhood was originally known as Stage Point for wooden fish-drying “stages” along the peninsula. Stage Point was a center for Salem’s early maritime business, and key to her historic economic development. . . . — Map (db m115319) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — To the Farthest Port
In the late 1700s and early 1800s Salem’s ships reached out to the world. From this wharf alone between 1785 and 1799, shipowner Elias Hasket Derby dispatched 170 trading vessels on pioneering voyages to China, India, the East Indies, and the . . . — Map (db m86538) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Wharves in the Early 1800s
If you visited Salem’s waterfront in the late 1700s or early 1800s you would have been impressed not only by the ships and their exotic cargo, but also by the variety of artisans and craftsmen who worked on the wharf. Sail makers, riggers, rope . . . — Map (db m86536) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Wharves in the Late 1800sSalem Maritime National Historical Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Not until the later 1800s did we have photographs of sailing vessels berthed along wharves here, but by then we had declined as a world port. The shallow harbor could not accommodate the clipper ships and larger vessels that dominated the seas after . . . — Map (db m62541) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Blacksmith Shop
A ringing anvil and glowing forge were signals that the blacksmith was working. The skill, stamina, and strength of the blacksmith played an important role in constructing machinery and maintaining the ironworkers' equipment. Using simple tools and . . . — Map (db m86452) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Making Iron
Ore, charcoal and rock called gabbro for flux were hauled to this site, and a drying fire was started in the furnace. Within a day or two the water wheels and bellows were set in motion, and the “blast”, once begun, would burn . . . — Map (db m86192) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — River Basin Terminus
The discovery of a navigable river at a site which also offered timber and flowing water for power was cause for company investors and site planners to celebrate. Improved roads to this remote area did not exist in the 1600s. Transportation to the . . . — Map (db m86451) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — The Casting House
A furnace at full blast kept founders preparing to receive up to a ton of molten liquid iron. Crucible contents were checked frequently and slag impurities that float on top of the heavier molten iron were removed. All preparations had to be . . . — Map (db m86454) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — The Forge
At the forge, porous and brittle cast iron was changed into tough, strong, flexible wrought iron. To the sounds of four water wheels turning, the bellows flapping, and the ground-shaking thump of the power hammer, men toiled to make wrought-iron . . . — Map (db m86349) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Greenfield — Factory Hollow
An original industrial area of Greenfield and site of mills from 1784. In four story granite factory buildings built in 1830 woolens were made for union army during Civil War. Operations ceased in 1872 and factory burned in 1933. The bell tower . . . — Map (db m65769) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Chicopee — Cabotville Canal
For 150 years this cluster of red brick mill buildings on the Chicopee River served as the community's industrial anchor. The complex was conceived, designed and built by America's first generation of venture capitalists, the legendary Boston . . . — Map (db m56051) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Chicopee — The Cabotville Sycamores
The sycamores have survived hurricanes, floods, an industrial revolution and the onslaught of modern urbanization. These handsome trees were growing here in 1848 when the citizens of Cabotville petitioned the legislature for the right to . . . — Map (db m56052) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Granville — The Store at West Granville
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m97472) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — 95 State Street — Stop 7 • Springfield Experience Walk —
Constructed in 1929, the building at 95 State Street features a classical revival style of architecture. The eleven-story structure was built for the Springfield Republican as an annex to the adjacent State Building, which had been recently acquired . . . — Map (db m136697) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Forging Arms for Our Nation

In 1795, Springfield Armory began manufacturing muskets for the United States Military, on a site where General George Washington authorized weapons to be stored during the Revolutionary War. Within decades, Springfield Armory became the . . . — Map (db m107114) HM

Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Home of the Duryea AutomobileSpringfield, Massachusetts
The Duryea brothers, Charles and Frank, developed the first successful gasoline-powered car in 1894, right here in Springfield. The second Duryea prototype, the 1895 Duryea, was built on this site. This automobile became known simply as the "1895 . . . — Map (db m136599) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Mass Mutual Building1200 Main Street/101 State Street — Stop 6 • Springfield Experience Walk —
The Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company commissioned Springfield's first steel frame skyscraper, built in the Classical Revival style. It was completed in 1908 and caused a controversy over its "excessive height" of 125 feet. A law limiting . . . — Map (db m136696) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Building1200 Main Street — Built 1908 —
Organized in 1851, the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance company grew to become one of Springfield's largest businesses. It was begun by George Rice and Alfred Lambert to assure annual dividend life insurance. By the early twentieth century, the . . . — Map (db m137171) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — National Historic Mechanical Engineering LandmarkSpringfield Armory
National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark The Springfield Armory (1794 — 1968) was the first national armory in the United States. It was an outstanding, innovative center for the design and production of military small arms. . . . — Map (db m110888) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Springfield Armory
Springfield Armory Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1955 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value In Commemorating and Illustrating The History of . . . — Map (db m110886) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — To the Memory of George Washington
To the Memory Of George Washington Commander-In-Chief Of The American Army 1775 — 1785 First President of the United States Who endorsed the location of a magazine and laboratory at Springfield in 1777, personally inspected the . . . — Map (db m110887) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Florence — Entrepreneurs and Philanthropists
The major industries established in Florence during the 19th century were founded by reform-minded individuals who championed progressive causes throughout their lives. Their success in business was matched by their generosity in giving. Many of the . . . — Map (db m65757) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Florence — Florence Manufacturing
Florence, or Broughton’s Meadow as it was originally called, was one of America’s early manufacturing centers. In 1837, Samuel Whitmarsh established the area’s first silk mill along the Mill River. Importing silk worms fed on homegrown mulberry . . . — Map (db m65761) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Northampton — Upper Main Street
Commercial development along upper Main Street followed the industrial expansion spurred by the Civil War. As Northampton became a manufacturing center, its business district expanded to accommodate a growing and changing population. In the 1860s . . . — Map (db m138438) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Acton — Faulkner Homestead1630 - 1930
Site of garrison house built before 1700. Opposite, Ammi Ruhamah Faulkner had his saw and grist mill and woolen mill in 1735. — Map (db m48819) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Davenport Car Manufactory
Site of the factory of Charles Davenport Pioneer of railroad car development Builder of carriages and stages 1832 – 1857 — Map (db m49748) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Chelmsford — Oldest Toll House
Middlesex Canal Toll House 1832 Oldest Canal Toll House in America. — Map (db m31197) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — "Quiet as the Grave"

In 1864, the Lowell Daily Courier reported that "all the cotton manufactories of any importance in this city have been quiet as the grave."

The outbreak of the Civil War severed the supply of slave-produced cotton. Many of Lowell's . . . — Map (db m117855) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Blending Old and New

Wannalancit Mills blended the old with the new. Formed in the late 1920s, Wannalancit moved into the aging Suffolk Mills two decades later and adapted surplus machinery for the production of new types of fabrics—rayon, polyester, and . . . — Map (db m117820) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Debating Slavery
By the late 1840’s, slavery was a defining political issue in northern cities. The topic was hotly debated in Lowell and created unlikely political alliances. Abolitionists like William Lloyd Garrison visited Lowell as early as the 1830’s and . . . — Map (db m104021) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Evolution of a Millyard

The Boott Cotton Mills complex is one of the finest examples of mill architecture in the United States. The mill complex you see today resulted from many decades of expansion and adaption.

[Top left diagram] 1830s Four mill buildings . . . — Map (db m117856) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Harnessing Waterpower

Boott Dam Beneath the gatehouse to your left is a dam that controls the level of water in the Eastern canal. When the water is high, the excess spills into the Merrimack Wasteway and returns to the Merrimack River.

Booth . . . — Map (db m117815) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Homage to WomenMico Kaufman — 1984 —

This sculpture is a tribute to Lowell's nineteenth century "mill girls". The intertwined figures also represent the struggles and aspirations of all women throughout time — Map (db m66208) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — In the Shadow of the Mills

To the right stands a boardinghouse block built in 1837, for the Boott Cotton Mills workers. Dozens of company-owned boardinghouses served as home for the thousands of young, single women - Lowell's "mill girls."

This block was one of eight . . . — Map (db m117814) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Irish Labor
Irish laborers were vital in digging and maintaining the canals. The mills required a smooth and even flow of water to ensure efficiency and profit. Before 1850, Yankee mill managers considered Irishmen fit to dig canals and construct mills, . . . — Map (db m66056) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Keepers of the Gate
The productivity of thousands of millworkers depended on the skill of gatekeepers like those who worked here at Tremont Gatehouse. By opening and closing sluice gates inside the small brick structure, the gatekeeper controlled the flow of water and . . . — Map (db m66210) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Life on the Corporation
Lowell’s first company-owned boardinghouses were built across the canal in 1823, to house young women workers from rural New England. Neat rows of boardinghouses once lined the streets of Lowell. The companies hoped that a moral, clean, and safe . . . — Map (db m66202) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Locomotives in Lowell

[The fireman] put his left foot on the lever that swings open the firebox door, to look at the searing inferno within as he...hurled shovelful after shovelful of coal... R.M. Neal, 1950 High Green and the Bark . . . — Map (db m117775) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Lowell Manufacturing CompanyMarket Mills
The first Lowell Manufacturing Company buildings were constructed along Pawtucket Canal in 1828 in order to make use of Lowell’s abundant water power. The two steam-powered building in this courtyard, however, were erected in 1882 and 1902 as the . . . — Map (db m65900) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Stele for the MerrimackPeter Gourfain — 1996 —

Site: Tremont Yard at Western Canal. Material: Bronze and granite.

A stele is a standing stone or slab with textured or inscribed surfaces which serves as a monument. This sculpture commemorates the wide variety of life generated by the . . . — Map (db m66211) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Suffolk Mill

The original Suffolk Mill buildings, constructed in 1831, were razed and rebuilt during the idle business years of the Civil War. Only the 1831 counting house survives. The company merged with the Tremont Mills across Suffolk Street in 1871, . . . — Map (db m117840) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — The Birth of an Industrial City
The opening of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company on this site in 1823, marked the beginning of America’s first industrial city. The Merrimack was the largest of Lowell’s mill complexes. By 1848, it employed over 2,000 workers and produced . . . — Map (db m66200) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — The Rule of the Bell
High above the courtyard of the Boott Cotton Mills stands a clock tower, crowned by a street bell. The bells chimed six times each day, summoning workers to and from their machines. In the new industrial cities of America, the factory bell replaced . . . — Map (db m66203) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Welcome to Lowell National Historical Park
The Park tells the human story of the American Industrial Revolution and the changing role of technology in a 19th and 20th century setting. — Map (db m65901) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Reading — The Old Parker Tavern - 16801630 - 1930
One-eighth of a mile to "the simple home of an ordinary man, not wealthy, not particularly distinguished, but a type of the God-fearing yeomanry .... as Ephraim Parker left it, it remains today an unchanged relic in the midst of a . . . — Map (db m48840) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Shirley — The Revolutionary Tavern1630 - 1930
Built before 1747 and kept from 1758 to 1790 by Obadiah Sawtell, "the old landlord." He was a delegate to the Provincial Congress. Here the men gathered at the alarm on April 19, 1775. — Map (db m48815) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sudbury — Hop Brook Mill1630 - 1930
To the left is the site of Hop Brook Mill, erected in 1659 by virtue of a town grant to Thomas and Peter Noyes, "to build and maintain a mill to grind the corn of the settlers." It is now the property of Henry Ford. — Map (db m48812) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Watertown — Roger Clap Memorial
HERE LANDED ROGER CLAP AND THE DORCHESTER MEN JUNE 1630

We went up the Charles River, until the river grew narrow and shallow, and there we landed our goods with much labor and toil, the bank being steep; and night coming on, we were informed . . . — Map (db m43363) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Woburn — Old Middlesex Canal
Old Middlesex Canal Horn Pond Locks Along what is now Arlington Road were formerly located three sets of double locks on the Old Middlesex Canal. These sets of 80 foot by 11 foot chambers effected a rise of fifty feet for the . . . — Map (db m133905) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Canton — Birthplace of U.S. Copper Industry
In this building in 1801 Paul Revere-famed " Midnight Rider" Patriot and silversmith- founded an industry as well as a business. Here he rolled copper successfully for the first time in America. Thus beginning one of the most vital industries . . . — Map (db m56048) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Lakeview
Hervey Pettee built a thread mill at this site in 1813. A spring freshet in 1831 washed out the dam and ruined the factory. A stone structure soon replaced it. Charles Freeman & Son later operated a wool scouring mill. The flood of Feb. 2, 1886 tore . . . — Map (db m55874) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Morseville
Populated by members of the Morse family since the early 1700's, this section of Foxborough was known as Morseville. By 1737, Jedediah Morse had dammed the Neponset River forming Crack Rock Pond and built both a saw mill and a bloomery forge near . . . — Map (db m55879) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Dorchester School FarmTown of Foxborough Incorporated 1778
To help support its public school,Dorchester set aside a 650 acre farm in this vicinity which it leased in 1710 to Robert Calef for a total of 308 years. Solomon Hews was operating a tavern here in 1728 when governor William Burnet and the . . . — Map (db m55885) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Reservoir on Powder House Hill / The Town House
The Reservoir on Powder House Hill The circular granite structure to the rear of the town hall lot is the reservoir erected by Union Straw Works in 1858. A windmill provided power to draw water up from the reservoir which was then gravity fed . . . — Map (db m55875) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Union Straw Works / Birth of the Straw Hat Industry
Union Straw Works Members of the Carpenter family became engaged in various straw manufacturing operations. In 1843 they built the Great Bonnet Shop at 18-22 Wall Street and in 1845 the Hamlet House at 12-16 Wall St. Erastus P. Carpenter then . . . — Map (db m55881) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — The Granite Railway
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The Granite Railway Designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers 1976 This marker commemorates the 150th anniversary of the ground breaking for the first commercial railroad in the . . . — Map (db m49466) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — William Field

A pioneer in the granite industry of Quincy. — Map (db m119161) HM

Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Ezra Weston
1764-1857 Ezra Weston “King Caesar” and descendants Homestead ropewalk & wharf 1840 Largest ship owners in America — Map (db m147477) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Shipyard Center
Shipyard Center 1830-1845 Here were located shipyards of Sam L Frazar · Levi Sampson · Ezra Weston · Deacon Geo Loring — Map (db m147845) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Duxbury — Site of Tide Grist Mills
Site of Tide Grist Mills First – 1766 Second -1855 Demolished 1877 — Map (db m147846) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Mattapoisett — Mattapoisett WharvesHistorically Speaking ...
1752 Professional shipbuilding began. Originally, the builders used the abundant timber found in the area woods. Boats were built and launched on the Mattapoisett River. However, most of the larger ships were constructed at the . . . — Map (db m88214) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Wareham — Tremont Nail Factory
Left side Inscription Tremont Nail Company has been designated a National Historical Landmark by American Society for Metals Established in 1819, Tremont Nail Company had made nails continuously for more than 150 years, and one of the few . . . — Map (db m85626) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Wareham — Warham Cotton Factory Memorial
1814- 1930 Near this site stood a cotton factory which was partially burned by the British during the War of 1812. Erected and dedicated by the Noble Everett Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1930 — Map (db m85624) HM WM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — "Old Ironsides" in Dry Dock 1Boston Nat’l Hist Pk — Charlestown Navy Yard —
USS Constitution first entered Dry Dock 1 in 1833. Though she was the first ship to test the new dry dock system, the tough oak hull of “Old Ironsides” had already seen several repairs. To rebuild the ship, woodworkers selected . . . — Map (db m71539) HM WM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Boston Molasses Flood
On January 15, 1919, a molasses tank at 529 Commercial Street exploded under pressure, killing 21 people. A 40-foot wave of molasses buckled the elevated railroad tracks, crushed buildings and inundated the neighborhood. Structural defects in the . . . — Map (db m40677) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Colonial Craftsmen
Until a few decades before the American Revolution, Boston was the largest port in the British colonies. It thrived on maritime trade, shipbuilding, and the work of hundreds of craftspeople. While the tombs of the rich merchants and politicians ring . . . — Map (db m18795) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Flour and Grain Exchange
Originally a meeting hall for the Boston Chamber of Commerce, the Exchange was built on land donated by streetcar magnate Henry M. Whitney and completed in 1892. Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge designed the tiered arches and rock-faced masonry which . . . — Map (db m56478) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Jordan Marsh
This plaque commemorates the historic site of Jordan Marsh In 1841, nineteen year old Eben Dyer Jordan began a remarkable and innovative journey that would lead to the founding, with partner Benjamin L. Marsh, of the renowned . . . — Map (db m115271) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Lewis Wharf, 1835
Boston's legendary clipper ship trade centered around Lewis Wharf. Ships bound for faraway ports sailed from here in the 1840s and '50s: • to buy tea in China and sell it in Europe. • to California where most of the '49ers' famous gold . . . — Map (db m115279) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Omni Hotels: The Parker House
1630-1673 Zacheus Bosworth, Captain Thomas Clarke and Lieutenant Richard Cooke dwelt here on School House Lane 1704 John Mico built a mansion on this site which was occupied in turn by Colonel Jacob Wendall, Governor Moses Gill and . . . — Map (db m21664) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Proclamation of the "Bells" JourneyOldest Tavern in the United States — 1795 —
“Old Jimmy” Wilson, Boston’s last town crier, first hoisted the sign of the “Bell” in 1795 under the Exchange Coffee House in Congress Square. The tavern gained a popular reputation for selling “the best Ale in . . . — Map (db m115270) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — The Hull Mint
Near this site stood first mint in the British colonies of North America. Prior to 1652, the Massachusetts financial system was based on bartering and foreign coinage. The scarcity of coin currency was a problem for the growth of the New England . . . — Map (db m56640) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — The Old Corner Bookstore
Thomas Crease built this structure as his apothecary and residence shortly after the great fire of 1711 destroyed Anne Hutchinson’s house on this site. Timothy Carter opened the Old Corner Bookstore here in 1829. Between 1845 and 1865, the . . . — Map (db m18085) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — "A state of perfect chaos"William Bainbridge 1812
This 1833 view of Boston from the west end of the Navy Yard shows a harbor full of busy activity. The steeple of the Old North Church is still a prominent landmark. [courtesy Library of Congress]

The Navy Yard in the War of 1812 When . . . — Map (db m60117) HM

Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — Boston, the Navy Yard, and the War of 1812
Boston, the Navy Yard, and the War of 1812 When the Federal government established a navy yard in Massachusetts in 1800, it naturally looked to Boston Harbor. A thriving town of more than 34,000 people, Boston was home to hundreds of skilled ship . . . — Map (db m60133) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — Charlestown Navy Yard
The Charleston Navy Yard was established in 1800 to build, repair, and supply the nation's warships. For 174 years the yard expanded and adapted to serve a growing, changing navy.

In early years, skilled workers build and repaired wooden . . . — Map (db m60118) HM

Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — Life and Work in the Navy Yard 1812
During the day, workers at the Charlestown Navy Yard built, repaired, and supplied American warships. In the evening, theses men left for their homes. Only the Commandant, a few administrative officers, and a detachment of Marines stayed behind. The . . . — Map (db m60049) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — Serving the Fleet
By 1940 this navy yard supported a powerful fleet of modern steel ships. Where once carpenters, joiners, and sail- makers responded to the morning shipyard bell, now a shrill steam whistle summoned welders, boilermakers, and electronics specialists . . . — Map (db m60125) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — The Changing Yard
In its first years, the navy yard consisted of a small dock and several wooden storehouses, surrounded by mud flats and rolling pastures. In 1812, the commandant noted: "the establishment...afforded no advantage or facility for naval purposes... a . . . — Map (db m60130) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — The Yard as Home
Thousands of civilians spent their work days in the yard, then returned home to their Boston neighborhoods. For a few naval personnel, however; the yard was both a work-place and a home. For those who lived here, whether in the luxurious . . . — Map (db m145105) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — Tudor Wharves
In the 1830s, Frederick Tudor became known as Boston's Ice King. Since around 1805, he had ice cut from local ponds and shipped to far away places as Calcutta, Rio de Janeiro, the West Indies and the Far East. As his business grew, he did his most . . . — Map (db m145104) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown — Working in the Yard
When the Charleston Navy Yard opened in 1800, Boston 's skilled maritime workers provided a ready source of labor. As sail gave way to steam, and wooden hulls gave way to iron and steel, the work of building, repairing, and maintaining a fleet . . . — Map (db m60137) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Charlestown, Boston — Charlestown Navy YardHome of “Old Ironsides”
One of our nation's first naval shipyards was established here at Moulton's Point, Charlestown, in 1800, and remained active until 1971. During that period, the yard contributed greatly to the birth and growth of American naval power, and was the . . . — Map (db m37699) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — Lysander Spooner
This is the birthplace of Lysander Spooner. January 19,1808- May 14, 1887. Champion of Liberty lawyer, abolitionist, entrepreneur, legal theorist and scholar. In this house he wrote "The Unconstitutionality of Slavery" and other works. Spooner died . . . — Map (db m136396) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Clinton — Prescott Grist Mill
On this site the first grist mill in Worcester County was constructed by John Prescott in 1654. For over three hundred years mills have stood here where industry was first conducted in this area.Clinton Bicentennial Commission June 19, . . . — Map (db m136693) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Gardner — Seth Heywood Site
On this site in 1773 Seth Heywood one of Gardner's original settlers built his home. Later he was one of the four men who circulated the petition for the incorporation of the town of Gardner.

In 1826 the grandson of Seth Heywood began the . . . — Map (db m134857) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Harvard — Town of HarvardFounded — June 29 1732 —
Upper Panel Set off from Groton • Lancaster • Stow by petitions to the General Court • Incorporators • Simon Stone • Groton • • Thomas Wheeler • Stow Jonathan Whitney and Hezekiah Willard Lancaster The name Harvard was inserted in the . . . — Map (db m66292) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Lancaster1630 - 1930
The Plantation of Nasheway embracing this and several adjoining towns was granted to a group of "Undertakers" in search of iron deposits, in 1644. John Prescott the first settler made a success of frontier farming under great difficulties. — Map (db m48798) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Sawyer-Carter Bridge
Named for the Sawyers who owned mills here in the 18th century and the Carters who owned saw, grist and fulling mills here in the early to mid-19th century. — Map (db m138828) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Wickapickit Brook and BridgePronounced wee-wee-pee-kee
Nearby as early as 1814 stood the Wickapickit Mill by 1870 it was the Phelps Saw and Grist Mill many bridges were built here in 18th and 19th centuries as this was the early mail road to Brattleborough but spring floods often took the bridges away — Map (db m133363) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Brooks Pottery Kiln
This strange-shaped brick structure is a kiln for baking – or firing – the redwood pottery made in the shop across the road. The kiln functions much like an oven. The open center is where the potter stacks his pots, jars, jugs, and . . . — Map (db m121530) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Commerce on the Common

The Publick House, founded by civic leader Ebenezer Crafts in 1771, and the adjacent retail building are survivors of the time when the Common was the commercial center of Sturbridge. The inn served as a stage stop on the Worcester-Stafford . . . — Map (db m118864) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Millstones

These millstones, made of New England granite, were used to grind grain into meal (a fine powder) for baking and cooking.

Millstones in a gristmill work in pairs, like scissor blades, with the grooved surfaces facing each . . . — Map (db m118890) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Millstones

These millstones, made of New England granite, were used to grind grain into meal (a fine powder) for baking and cooking.

Millstones in a gristmill work in pairs, like scissor blades, with the grooved surfaces facing each . . . — Map (db m118929) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Tantiusques1630 – 1930
The graphite or blacklead deposit near by was valued by the Indians for face paint, and by the white men for pencils and other uses. John Winthrop, Jr., was "granted the hill at Tantousq" in 1644, and began to exploit the mine in 1658. — Map (db m48043) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Webster — East Village Textile Mill
On this site in 1812 Samuel Slater, the Father of the American Industrial Revolution, Founded the East Village Textile Mill.

In 1936 the Rockefeller Family bought the property and for 75 years operated Cranston Print Works which was an . . . — Map (db m122918) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Webster — Samuel Slater
To the memory of Samuel Slater Founder of America’s Cotton Industry And the Town of Webster Born at Belper Derbyshire 9 June 1768 Died at Webster Massachusetts 21 April 1835 This monument is dedicated By Ray and H. Nelson Slater his Great . . . — Map (db m122917) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Webster — Slater Cotton Mill
Site of original Slater Cotton Mill

Established circa 1812 by Samuel S. Slater

Dedicated to the memory of Samuel S. Slater by Cranston Print Works Company

September 1977 — Map (db m122920) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Blackstone Canal1828 - 1848

Northbridge, MA Canal Route & Lock Location

This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117520) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Plummer's Landing

In 1836 Israel Plummer built a store beside a boat basin and dock here—the mid-point of the canal journey between Worcester, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island. Retail products sold at Plummer's store included stove parts, tools . . . — Map (db m117521) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Welcome to Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park

"The hardest working river, the most thoroughly harnessed to the mill wheels of labor in the United States, probably the world, is the Blackstone." Winthrop Packard, 1909

The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management (DEM) . . . — Map (db m117522) HM


188 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020