Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Acadia Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Le Parc Du Vieux Depot Marker image, Touch for more information
October 20, 2005
Le Parc Du Vieux Depot Marker
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Church Point — Le Parc Du Vieux Depot
The Village of Church Point was linked to the outside world by rail on April 19, 1907 when the Opelousas, Gulf and Northeast Railroad reached this point. The arrival of the OG& NE railroad brought an influx of commerce and industry to the area, . . . — Map (db m87873) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Crowley
Founded 1886 & soon emerged as center of state's rice industry. Historic district listed on National Register of Historic Places. Significant for its impressive c.1890-c.1930 commercial area & its superb Victorian residences. — Map (db m85287) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Crowley Louisiana Post Office 1913
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m123416) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Miller Stadium
Built in 1948 Miller Stadium served as the home of the Crowley Millers who played in South Louisiana's semi-pro Teche League and the professional Gulf coast and Evangeline Leagues from 1948 to 1957. Popular with baseball enthusiasts, the . . . — Map (db m125823) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Salmon Lusk Wright1852-1929
Developed at this site the world's best seed rice which revived that industry by insuring wider markets. His varieties that are used today for breeding purposes are Blue Rose, Louisiana Pearl, Early Prolific Edith, and Lady Wright. — Map (db m103075) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Senator John F. Kennedy Presidential Campaign Speech
On Friday October 19, 1959, Sen. John F. Kennedy (D) from Massachusetts, delivered a campaign speech in pursuit of the 1960 Democratic Party's nomination for the office of President of the United States. From the stage of the 23rd International Rice . . . — Map (db m87865) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Evangeline — Louisiana Strikes Oil!
The first oil strike in the State of Louisiana was made on September 21, 1901 on the farm of Jules Clement in the community of Evangeline. The well was known as both Jules Clement No. 1 and Jennings Oil No. 1 after the company that drilled the . . . — Map (db m125802) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — Jacques Weil Company
Jacques Weil and brothers, Edmond and Gontran, came to Rayne from Paris in 1901 and established a mercantile business that shipped frogs to restaurants and universities across the country. The business became a landmark in the area, expanding the . . . — Map (db m68710) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — Pouppeville
English: Named for the merchant Jules Pouppeville and dating back to the 1850s, Pouppeville was once a stagecoach stop. The town was disassembled, carried north by oxen one mile to meet the railroad, and rebuilt at Rayne Station in 1881. . . . — Map (db m103072) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — Rayne Depot Square
Early Cajun settlers of Southwest Louisiana, who established Poupeville, demonstrated their courage and determination by moving businesses and homes one mile north, relocating on the site of the Louisiana Western Railroad, the first train depot . . . — Map (db m85297) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — St. Joseph's Catholic Church & Cemetery
The site of St. Joseph's Catholic Church and Cemetery was determined after the new settlement of Rayne was established. Huge wooden wheels were made and the old church from the original Poupeville settlement was mounted on them and moved to this . . . — Map (db m85307) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — The Bernard Bertrand Home
In 1883, the town of Rayne was incorporated and J.D. Bernard served as its first mayor. The Bernard residence stands today as one of Rayne's few remaining early structures. Originally located on West South 1st. St., it was purchased by E.J. . . . — Map (db m85291) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Richard — Acadia Baptist Acadamy1917-1973
The Acadia Baptist Academy once occupied these buildings and grounds. The school was founded in 1917 by the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church and the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board. Its purpose was to provide Christian education and training for . . . — Map (db m89002) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.