Here stood the birthplace of Henry Alexander Wise (1806-1876), Governor of Virginia (1856-1860) and general in the Confederate States Army. A talented orator and debator in an age of great orators, Wise was elected to six terms in Congress. He . . . — — Map (db m7823) HM
Built in 1783 in one corner of the jailyard to serve as a residence for the jailer, the building served in this capacity for 41 years. Iron bard, oak batten doors and locks were added in 1842 when it was converted into a prison for debtors in . . . — — Map (db m7828) HM
who landed at Hunt's Point, Old Plantation Creek, on Easter Sunday 1776 and the same day preached the first Baptist sermon, “At the End of a Horsing Tree.” Opposition of the established church caused him to be deported; but kind . . . — — Map (db m71852) HM
The Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania erected this monument and dedicated it on May 11, 1908, at Makemie Park on Holder Creek where Francis Makemie is buried at his Pocomoke home. In 1984 the monument was moved here and . . . — — Map (db m7829) HM
The first high school for blacks in Accomack County was dedicated on this site in 1932. It was named in honor of Mary Nottingham Smith (1892-1951), a black educator who dedicated her life to educating all young people. In 1956, the school was . . . — — Map (db m7822) HM
The Occohannock Indians, one of the important Virginia Indian groups on the Eastern Shore, were composed of several tribes including the Onancock, Machipongo, Metomkin, Chincoteague, Kegotank, Pungoteague, Chesconessex, and Nandua. Capt. John Smith . . . — — Map (db m71855) HM
Was established on this island on February 14, 1892 by Joseph B. Lynch, not far from this location. Doctrine is Justification and Sanctification. This building was erected in 1903. Since this beginning churches are established throughout the . . . — — Map (db m59834) HM
Keeping the Forest Full of Life
Wildlife have the same basic needs humans do—food, water, shelter, and space. To make sure those needs are met, refuge staff carefully manage forest areas. They remove some trees, plant others that are . . . — — Map (db m98827) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Assateague Island Lighthouse is a striking landmark that attracts many visitors. At the same time, it is an active aid to navigation, operated by the U.S. Coast Guard, that gives ships a visual . . . — — Map (db m98824) HM
Hardy, compact, and spirited—the horses on Assateague Island run freely over a range bounded by ocean and bay. Bands of mares and young led by protective stallions graze on marsh grasses, drink at freshwater ponds, and retreat into island . . . — — Map (db m98826) HM
In the 1800s, after the lighthouse was built, a small community grew up not far from here. By the early 1900s, about 225 lived in the village, which included a school, dry goods store, and a church. The residents harvested resources from the sea, . . . — — Map (db m98825) HM
Five miles west is "Hedra Cottage", site of the home of Colonel Edmund Scarborough (Scarburgh), surveyor general of the colony. Beyond, at the end of Scarborough's Neck, was the village of the Occahannock Indians, the seat of Debedeavon, the . . . — — Map (db m7608) HM
This first play recorded in the United States was presented August 27, 1665. The Accomack County Court at Pungoteague heard charges against three men “for acting a play,” ordered inspection of costumes and script, but found the men . . . — — Map (db m7613) HM
Two miles east, on Route 600, meets what is possibly the nation's oldest continuous Sunday School. Begun by William Elliott in his home in 1785, it was moved in 1816 to Burton's Chapel and in 1870 to the present church. — — Map (db m7615) HM
Known as the Scott Hall Cemetery, it dates from the late 18th century. Here will be found the grave of Commodore Whaley of the Maryland Navy who was killed in the Battle of the Barges in the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of Onancock Creek in . . . — — Map (db m7681) HM
Records of this mercantile business date back to 1842. This store also served the community as a bank and as a social and political meeting place. Deeded in 1970 to Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. — — Map (db m7675) HM
Two miles west is Onancock, founded in 1680. A courthouse was then built and used for a few years. Militia barracks were there in the Revolution. From Onancock, Colonel John Cropper went to the aid of Commodore Whaley in the last naval action of the . . . — — Map (db m7673) HM
At the south end of Main Ridge, the road becomes Banny's Road, which once led to Banty's Wharf. Banty's Wharf was named for Capt. John L. "Banty" who lived here with his wife, Mrs. Ellen Elizabeth Shores. For over 200 years the island's primary . . . — — Map (db m106987) HM
At the end of Chambers Lane in an area once known as Chambers Wharf, site of the John Chambers Store. Lorraine's Sandwich Shop now occupies the site of the first Post Office, built in 1891.
The homes at 4411 and 4413 Chambers Lane were moved . . . — — Map (db m107002) HM
The famous Chesapeake House occupies two old island homes. Hilda Crockett opened the business in 1944 in the Peter Crockett House with four guest rooms and a dining room on the porch. She expanded by purchasing the Nathan Rayfield House where the . . . — — Map (db m39952) HM
Peter Williams owned and operated the first store on this site. It was built by Charles Roland Parks and William Walters in the 1920's. It later operated as the Smith and Moore Market and was one of the first businesses to take credit cards when . . . — — Map (db m107006) HM
Every week for more than thirty years Dr. David Buell Nichols made the voyage from Hummel Field in Middlesex County to Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay to administer health care to those in need. For an island with no resident doctor, the sound . . . — — Map (db m97803) HM
The former Noble Dise Store was replaced with the island's first mobile home in 1959.
Manufactured homes remain popular today, but require a community-wide effort to move one into place after being delivered to the island by barge. — — Map (db m39950) HM
Fisherman's Corner Restaurant was featured in Southern Living Magazine (May, 2005) and is renowned for superb stuffed shrimp, irresistible crab bisque, and soft shell crab tidbits.
The owners, Irene Eskridge and Mary Stuart Parks rely on . . . — — Map (db m107004) HM
In 1946, this building served as the first meeting place of the New Testament Congregation. It was vandalized several times during a rather contentious time in the island's religious history, a story reported in Newsweek, 1947.
Throughout the . . . — — Map (db m39682) HM
In April 1814, during the war of 1812, British
forces commanded by Adm. Sir George Cockburn
established Fort Albion on the southern tip of
Tangier Island. The fort, which included barracks
a hospital, a church, parade grounds, and . . . — — Map (db m97720) HM
Dr. Charles Gladstone (1880 - 1968) was Tangier's longest serving doctor. He arrived in 1918 and was always on call. Monthly, he would go door-to-door to collect his flat fee of $1.50 but would accept whatever the family could afford. This monthly . . . — — Map (db m39684) HM
Many people ask about the gravestones in front yards. While not unique to Tangier Island and seen throughout the Eastern Shore of Virginia, these are more obvious on such a small island. A number of reasons have been given for these burial sites: . . . — — Map (db m106973) HM
This is the site of the island's only unsolved murder. Charles C. "Bud" Connorton, the Town Sergeant, was eating in an earlier building here when he was fatally shot through an open window. His assailant was never identified. — — Map (db m39555) HM
John Wallace (1855-1926) moved to Tangier in the 1870's. The J.E. Wallace & Co. Store was on the corner of Wallace Road and West Ridge, facing Wallace Road. It sold groceries, general merchandise, and coffins, as Wallace also worked as an . . . — — Map (db m106992) HM
The Joshua Thomas House is long gone, replaced by the modern, chalet style house at the end of the lane. Joshua Thomas, the renowned "Parson of the Islands," lived here from 1799 until about 1825.
The Tangier Town Hall is a former US Navy . . . — — Map (db m106998) HM
This cemetery is the possible site of Lee’s Bethel, the island’s first church. Next to the cemetery is the last of the island’s once plentiful garden farms.
Tangiermen were famous for growing melons, filling their boats until just the gunnels . . . — — Map (db m97873) HM
Long Bridge, formerly called Mooney's Bridge, leads over the Main or Big Gut back to the section of Tangier known as "Meat Soup."
The house at the end of the bridge was the home of Norris Angle, who operated the Ambulance Boat. An airplane . . . — — Map (db m107001) HM
The Methodist Parsonage, the home of the resident Reverend and his family, was erected in 1887. It is the only house on the island with a basement and the first to have an indoor bathroom.
It was the first house to have chain link fence, . . . — — Map (db m39949) HM
The New Testament Congregation was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1957, and occupies the same site used for the Chautauqua tent in the 1920's.
The New Testament Mission House was once the home of teacher Alfred Benson (1893-1963) who taught at the . . . — — Map (db m106975) HM
Factory Road was originally named New Road. It is said to have been built by Henry Frazier, a Black man, by hand, around the time of the Civil War. In 1919, George Lawson of Crisfield, MD in association with the Kegan, Grace & W. Shirt Makers Guild . . . — — Map (db m106988) HM
Owner Milton Parks has provided warm hospitality to boaters for decades. His marina serves local watermen, commercial and recreational boat traffic.
Milton Parks on his scooter - Kaye, 2005
Oyster Buy Boats at Park's . . . — — Map (db m106963) HM
The new house on the corner of Garman Road and Main Ridge is the site of the former Peter S. Crockett Store, later Daughtery & Ward, and then Haynie Grocery.
It had a two-story front porch and was featured in many old photographs. . . . — — Map (db m106972) HM
Spanky's Place, now an ice cream parlor with a 50's theme, is one of many businesses to occupy this site. These include Michael Thomas's store that sold stoves and propane, Jolly Jim's Restaurant, Nice's Place, and the Roadside Restaurant. It was . . . — — Map (db m106966) HM
The most prominent of the island's buildings, Swain Memorial United Methodist Church is easily recognized as the focal point of Tangier.
Built in 1899 on the site of the island's second church (1842), it is the center of the Tangier's religious . . . — — Map (db m39998) HM
Mailboat Harbor replaced Steamboat Harbor in the 1930’s as the age of steamboats came to a close. The harbor was first dredged in 1922, from the Eastern side. In 1967, the harbor was dredged through to the Western side of the island. This was a . . . — — Map (db m39554) HM
This is the site of the former Lewis Crockett Store. It is also the site where in 1936, the Goodyear Blimp arrived with provisions to feed the islanders, who had been frozen in for over two months during a record freeze.
The Visitors Center and . . . — — Map (db m106969) HM
The island was visited in 1608 by Captain John Smith, who gave it the name. A part was patented by Ambrose White in 1670. It was settled in 1686 by John Crockett and his sons’ families. In 1814, it was the headquarters of a British fleet ravaging . . . — — Map (db m46705) HM
In honor of the men and
women of Tangier Island who
faithfully served their
country in World Wars I and II
World War I
*Crockett, William L. *Crockett, Tubman
World War II
*Charnock, Ray H. *Crockett, Charles A. Jr. *Crockett, . . . — — Map (db m107033) WM
The Tangier Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1964 and moved to this location in 1983.
Fire is especially dangerous on a small island. where wooden houses are close together, allowing fire to spread quickly, especially when fanned by . . . — — Map (db m106986) HM
The Telephone Building was built in
1966 by Grover Charnock when
radiotelephones were finally replaced
with a microwave tower.
In front of this is a new home, built on
the site of the former Grand Theater,
built in 1929 by Gordon Daley, . . . — — Map (db m97690) HM
The Amanda Wallace Pruitt House was also the home of Reverend James C. Richardson after his resignation from the Methodist church.
He founded the New Testament Church, which met here from 1948-1956. Services were held in the living room and . . . — — Map (db m106996) HM
The Connorton House was the home of the town Sergeant, Bud Connorton.
On Sunday April 11, 1920, Sergeant Connorton shot and wounded 17 year old Roland Parks. He was trying to enforce a town ordinance that forbade "loafing on store porches and . . . — — Map (db m39954) HM
The Doctor's House was owned consecutively by doctors Samuel Oglesby, William Daisey, Bache Gill, and Charles Gladstone. Dr. Gladstone never lived there, but boarded next door in the Sidney Crockett House.
Dr. Gladstone's former office still . . . — — Map (db m39951) HM
The Double Six Sandwich Shop is where the watermen meet at 3:00 AM for "smokes and coffee" before heading down to the docks to the day's work.
Named for the game of Dominos, the shop is open for sandwiches year-round, and was often considered a . . . — — Map (db m39683) HM
The Edward Crockett House was formerly the home of "Sugar Tom" Crockett (1833-1905) the Island's first historian, and author of Facts & Fun, the first written history of Tangier Island. It later served as a hotel and the office of Dr. W.O. . . . — — Map (db m106967) HM
The John Thomas House marks the dividing line between the old Thomas and Wallace family lands.
At the end of the 19th century, these two families owned almost all of the land on the western side of the island. — — Map (db m106991) HM
The Joshua Pruitt House is one of the oldest on Tangier.
Joshua Pruitt (1866-1949) and his wife Amanda took in boarders, teachers, and held worship services in their front yard.
Pruitt traveled to Washington, DC, during the Great . . . — — Map (db m106968) HM
Miss Minnie and Capt. Charlie raised eight children in this house. In order to accommodate the entire family at a single table, Capt. Charlie commissioned Henry Jander to build them a table capable of seating ten people. Later, one son, Orville, and . . . — — Map (db m106989) HM
Joshua Thomas (1776–1853) became a skilled waterman
from the in his youth and ferried clergymen
from the mainland to the islands of the
He converted to Methodism
about 1807, was licensed as an exhorter (or lay preacher) . . . — — Map (db m97688) HM
Patrick Benson, a ship's captain from Dublin, Ireland, purchased this land in 1879. The middle section of house was completed in 1889. The front section with porch and back section with kitchen and outbuilding were added over the years, but . . . — — Map (db m106977) HM
The Peter Dise House is one of the oldest on the island and was moved from the "Uppards," the now unoccupied marsh north of the harbor.
There were originally four fresh water wells on the island, two on Maine Ridge, one on Canton Ridge and one on . . . — — Map (db m39953) HM
The Sydney Wallace House is one of the Island's most admired. Built in 1904 and restored in 1995 by Wallace's grandson, it now operates as the Bay View Inn.
Sydney Wallace House - National Geographic, 1973 — — Map (db m106993) HM
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — — Map (db m97723) HM
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — — Map (db m106961) HM
Honors Anne Makemie Holden Landowner, successful business woman manager, champion of American Independence. Daughter of Naomi and Francis Makemie, founder of organized American Presbyterianism Presented June 17, 1998 by Virginia Business and . . . — — Map (db m7835) HM
Five miles west was the home of the Rev. Francis Makemie, founder of Presbyterianism in the United States. About 1684, Makemie established in Maryland the first Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to Accomac and married. He died here in 1708. — — Map (db m7830) HM
Erected in Gratitude to God And in grateful, remembrance of his servant and minister Francis Makemie, who was born in Ramelton, County Donegal, Ireland, A.D. 1658(?) was educated at Glasgow University, Scotland, and came as an ordained Evangelist to . . . — — Map (db m7838) HM
Commemorates the belief that in this ancient family cemetery were buried near the remains of Francis Makemie, those of his wife Naomi, his daughters Elizabeth and Madame Anne Holden, and his father-in-law, William Anderson. Also those of John . . . — — Map (db m7840) HM
The Wallops Island Flight Facility was established in 1945 by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics and is one of the oldest launch sites in the world. This facility was built to conduct aeronautical research using rocket-propelled . . . — — Map (db m63666) HM
The visitor center displays NASA’s past, present and future projects, as well as, Wallops flight facility’s role in Aeronautical and Space research. The NASA Goddard Space Flight Center’s Wallops flight facility was established in 1945, and is one . . . — — Map (db m95122) HM