Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Alachua County Florida Historical Markers

 
City of Alachua Marker near NW 151st Boulevard image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
City of Alachua Marker near NW 151st Boulevard
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-206 — City of Alachua
Upon completion to Gainesville of the Savannah, Florida and Western Railway in May 1884, citizens from the former county seat at Newnansville were among those who moved to the present site of Alachua which was near the railroad. The city is located . . . — Map (db m65458) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — Newnansville Methodist Church Site
On this site the Newnansville Methodist Church was founded in 1822 Presented by Alachua Methodist Church 1972 — Map (db m56180) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-265 — Newnansville Town Site
At the end of 1824, Alachua County was organized as a political unit of the new Territory of Florida. The Seminole inhabitants of the Alachua region had recently been ordered to a reservation, and land was available there for white settlers. . . . — Map (db m65513) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-205 — Archer
When Europeans first arrived in this area in the 16th century, the inhabitants were Timucuan Indians. In 1774, traveling botanist William Bartram visited Seminole Indians nearby. In the 1850's a town called Deer Hammock was established here, . . . — Map (db m69979) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-972 — Archer School Gymnasium
The Alachua County Board of Public Instruction contracted with the firm of Winston and Perry to build a 3-story brick building for the Archer School, west of an old wood frame building, in 1917. The building housed grades 1-10 until 1925 when the . . . — Map (db m120479) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — Archer Veterans
In Memory of the Men and Women From the Archer Community who have given their lives in the service of our country. Dedicated to all Veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces with Devotion, Loyalty, Honor and their . . . — Map (db m70119) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-320 — David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation
Side 1 David Levy Yulee was born at St. Thomas, West Indies, in 1810. He attended school in Virginia from 1819 until 1827 when he went to Micanopy to work on one of the plantations of his father, Moses Elias Levy. He studied law and was . . . — Map (db m97513) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-420 — Thomas Gilbert Pearson1873-1943
Thomas Gilbert Pearson was an ornithologist, college professor, and world leader of the bird preservation movement. Pearson grew up in Archer, where he collected bird skins and eggs and taught himself ornithology to pay for his schooling at Guilford . . . — Map (db m70637) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Earleton — F-625 — Earleton, Florida
Earleton is named for General Elias B. Earle (1821-1893) who received government land grants in Florida for his service in the U.S./Mexican War (1846-48). Born into a prominent South Carolina family, Gen. Earle fought in the Palmetto Regiment, . . . — Map (db m41263) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Evinston — F-317 — Evinston Community Store and Post Office / History of Evinston, Florida
Evinston Community Store and Post Office The Evinston community store, originally a warehouse, was built of heart pine in 1884 by W.P. Shettleworth. it was bought by Joseph Wolfenden, who first operated it as a store. The post office, . . . — Map (db m54240) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — "The Great Endurance Run"
On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the . . . — Map (db m68316) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — A Cattle EconomyFive Centuries of Ranching on the Prairie
Hacienda de la Chua Organized cattle ranching at the prairie began here in the 1600s. You are standing at the site of the largest ranch in Spanish Florida, Hacienda de Ia Chua (right). Hacienda de la Chua was the main supplier of beef to St. . . . — Map (db m126488) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-809 — Alachua General Hospital
Historic Alachua General Hospital (AGH) stood on this site for nearly 82 years. A county or community-supported venture for much of its history, the hospital served the needs of Alachua County citizens for generations as a respected health care . . . — Map (db m93167) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Alachua Sink
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — Map (db m126294) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-191 — Alachula County Courthouse
The Alachua County Commission, by authority of the Florida Legislature, selected this site for a courthouse in 1854, moving the county seat from Newnansville. The first courthouse was a frame building completed in 1856. It was demolished on the . . . — Map (db m54997) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Boulware Springs Water Works Building
The Boulware Springs Water Works Building is located directly adjacent to the brick reservoir for the springs, on a site of gently rolling to steep topography at the northern edge of Paynes Prairie. Boulware Springs, free-flowing and . . . — Map (db m70587) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-794 — Chestnut Funeral Home
The Chestnut family in Gainesville has served the mortuary needs of the African American community in Alachua County since 1914. Charles S. Chestnut, Sr. was a founding member of the Florida Morticians Association in the early 1900s. The business . . . — Map (db m110984) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-163 — City of Gainesville
Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth . . . — Map (db m58133) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Confederate Soldier Memorial(Gainesville, Florida)
(North face) In Memory Of The Confederate Dead 1861 1865 (East face) "They Fell For Us and For Them Should Fall The Tears Of A Nation's Grief." (West face) They Counted The Cost And In Defence . . . — Map (db m54998) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Devil's MillhopperRegistered Natural Landmark
Devil’s Millhopper has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation’s natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man’s environment . . . — Map (db m125200) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-166 — East Florida Seminary
Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville's need for higher education until the University of Florida was created by the Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school . . . — Map (db m58007) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-805 — Evergreen Cemetery
Evergreen Cemetery, known locally as "This Wondrous Place," began with the burial of a baby girl in 1856. The infant, Elizabeth Thomas, was the daughter of wealthy cotton merchant James T. Thomas and his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hall Thomas. The baby . . . — Map (db m93852) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-164 — First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville
First Gainesville Skirmish The first Civil War gunfire in Gainesville's streets came on February 15, 1864, when a raiding party of 50 men from the 40th Massachusetts Cavalry entered the City to attempt the capture of two trains. The raid was . . . — Map (db m57122) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Extension
Since the early 1900s, the University of Florida has been sharing research discoveries and education programs with the people of Florida through its Extension Service. Faculty from the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station organized farmers' . . . — Map (db m93830) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Forced into ServiceFlorida De Soto Trail — August 13, 1539
It’s August 13, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouting party are passing through the Indian villages of Utinamocharra located just south of here – My army of more than 700 men follow behind. We will march quickly through this . . . — Map (db m126581) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-201 — Fort Clarke
Near this site was located Fort Clarke, originally a U.S. Army post during the Seminole War, and afterwards a settlement. The name is preserved in nearby Fort Clarke Church. At this site crossed the early settlement and military road connecting the . . . — Map (db m65191) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville Regional Airport
The City of Gainesville began construction of this airport in April of 1940 as a project of the depression era Works Progress Administration. With WWII looming, construction was taken over by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1941. Initial . . . — Map (db m101411) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville’s Only Artesian Spring
Located below is Gainesville’s only artesian spring. Tapped directly with a pipe in 1898, the springs provided the City’s only water source for many years. In 1905, Gainesville’s plentiful water supply was used to entice the University of . . . — Map (db m70590) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-473 — Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville
Gainesville's Railroads The coming of the Florida Railroad opened up the interior of Florida for both settlement and trading and helped establish Gainesville. On February 1, 1859 the Florida Railroad entered town and connected Fernandina . . . — Map (db m55038) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gatorade's Birthplace
Gatorade, the sports drink that started an industry, was invented at the UF College of Medicine by a team of researchers led by Dr. Robert Cade. Gatorade was first field tested in a football scrimmage near this site and was first used in an October . . . — Map (db m120371) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-548 — Historic Haile Homestead At Kanapaha Plantation
One of the oldest houses in Alachua County, the Historic Haile Homestead was the home of Thomas Evans Haile, his wife Esther Serena Chesnut Haile and 14 of their children. The Hailes came here from Camden, South Carolina in 1854 to establish a . . . — Map (db m70202) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-402 — Jesse Johnson Finley
Jesse Johnson Finley was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, November 18, 1812 and educated in Lebanon, Tennessee. After service as a captain in the Seminole War of 1836, he studied law and was admitted to the bar. During a ten year period he served . . . — Map (db m93855) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-321 — Josiah T. Walls
Born in 1842 to slave parents in Winchester, Va., little is known of Josiah T. Walls' early life. After a short term of Confederate service, he enlisted in the Third Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops in 1863. Transferred to Picolata on the St. Johns . . . — Map (db m55400) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-735 — Kanapaha Presbyterian Church
In 1857, a group of Sea Island cotton planters from South Carolina who settled near here called an organizational meeting to establish Kanapaha Presbyterian Church. The Reverend William J. McCormick (1821-1883) was recruited from South Carolina to . . . — Map (db m111045) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Living Links to Florida's Past
The Spanish explorers brought cattle and horses to Florida when they visited in the 1500s. When the Spanish left, the cattle and horses stayed. Today's cracker cattle and horses are direct descendants of those animals. They are a link to all of the . . . — Map (db m126399) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Major General John R Alison(1912-2011)
John Richardson "Johnny" Alison was born in Micanopy, Florida, on November 12, 1912. He was a highly decorated flying ace and served in both theaters of World War II. Johnny Alison graduated from Gainesville High School in 1931 and the University of . . . — Map (db m101412) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Matheson House
Side 1: The Matheson homestead dates from 1857, when Alexander Matheson brought his family from Camden, South Carolina to establish a home on the Sweetwater Branch at the eastern edge of the new town of Gainesville. The present one and a . . . — Map (db m97622) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-585 — Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church
Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church was founded on July 16, 1867, with the Reverend Isaac Davis serving as the first pastor. The Board of Trustees of the oldest black congregation in Gainesville purchased the lot on which the present church . . . — Map (db m55606) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-784 — Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
The congregation of the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church first met on May 4, 1896. The church’s original members worshipped in the St. Paul CME Church, and together the congregations bought a parcel of land in 1900 to build a new church. Its construction . . . — Map (db m110982) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-577 — Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery was established c. 1883 by the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church as a final resting place for its members and other African Americans in the city of Gainesville. Founded in 1867, the church purchased the 5.38-acre . . . — Map (db m55915) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-679 — Old Stage Road
The Old Stage Road, one of Alachua County’s original highways, passed near here. Dating from the 1820s, it connected the county’s two major towns, Newnansville (once the county seat near present day Alachua) and Micanopy to the south. The road . . . — Map (db m67689) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-492 — Roper Park / Old City Park
Roper Park is the original site of the parade grounds and barracks for the East Florida Seminary, a non-sectarian educational institution and a forerunner of the University of Florida, which was located in Gainsville in part due to the . . . — Map (db m55994) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-705 — Serenola Plantation
(side 1) In 1857, David Rogerson Williams II (1822-1907) of Darlington Co., SC, purchased 1,000 acres, including this site bordering Paynes Prarie, and developed them as a plantation known as "Serenola." The 1860 census shows 120 slaves . . . — Map (db m67687) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-165 — Spanish Cattle Ranching
Present-day Gainesville was the center of a large Spanish cattle ranching industry, founded on the labor of native Timuqua Indians, during the 1600s. LaChua, largest of the ranches, was a Spanish corruption of an Indian word, and in turn was . . . — Map (db m72916) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-302 — The Bailey House
This is one of the oldest houses in the city of Gainesville. It was constructed about 1850 by Major James B. Bailey, a prominent citizen of Alachua County. Bailey was a leading proponent of moving the county seat away from Newnansville to a new . . . — Map (db m55424) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-645 — The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center
The Gainesville Serviceman's Center The City of Gainesville purchased the Servicemen’s Center lot on December 7th 1942. The Federal Works Agency constructed a $37,000 building with a ballroom, stage, dressing rooms, second floor reading . . . — Map (db m67690) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Trains Rumbled Overhead
This old, concrete railway trestle is a remnant of the Florida Southern Railroad. Crews laid tracks here starting in 1882. The railroad played a major role in the founding and history of Gainesville. The Gainesville Hawthorne Trail now follows this . . . — Map (db m126478) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-360 — University of Florida Historic Campus
The University of Florida Campus Historic District and two individual campus buildings were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and 1990 in recognition of their architectural and cultural significance and the coherence of the . . . — Map (db m54828) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Grove Park — F-925 — Daniel Scott Plantation
Side 1 In 1853, planters Daniel Scott and Daniel Finley of Fairfield, South Carolina, bought 2,664 acres of land here for $6,743, and in 1854 Scott was taxed on 1,400 acres and 30 enslaved people. In 1855, Scott and Finley purchased 54 . . . — Map (db m110525) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Hawthorne — F- 212 — Hawthorne
In 1774, noted botanist William Bartram travelled across what is now the southeastern corner of Alachua County following an old Indian and trading trail. In Florida's territorial period, English-speaking settlers used the same route as a frontier . . . — Map (db m41100) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952
The construction of this road was authorized by the 18th Congress and approved February 28, 1824. The section from Tallahassee to St. Augustine was built by John Bellamy and followed the Old Spanish Road. — Map (db m93361) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — American Legion Veterans Memorial
(front) In Honor of those who served in time of war A mighty mother turns in tears the pages of her battle years lamenting all her Fallen sons Erected by Gordon Rimes Post 97 The American Legion October 11, 1980 . . . — Map (db m81993) WM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — Fear StrickenFlorida De Soto Trail — August 15, 1539
It’s August 15, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouts arrive at the Indian village of Cholupaha. It lies along the present-day Santa Fe River, which runs through here – My Men captured several Indians and questioned them about . . . — Map (db m126582) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-217 — High Springs, Florida
The northwest region of Alachua County was probably first settled on a permanent basis by English speaking people during the late 1830's. One of the earliest settlements in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles east . . . — Map (db m64251) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-359 — Railroading In High Springs
This old passenger depot, built c. 1910, is all that remains of the vast railroad complex located southwest of downtown that made High Springs a bustling railroad center for nearly 50 years. In 1895 the Plant Railroad System chose the town as the . . . — Map (db m54911) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Lacrosse — F-865 — LaCrosse
Settlement in the LaCrosse area started in the 1840s with the arrival of John Cellon, a young French immigrant. Other early settlers were Thomas Green, Abraham Mott, Richard H. Parker and family, William Scott and Thomas Standley. The town was built . . . — Map (db m93838) HM
Florida (Alachua County), LaCrosse — F-287 — LaCrosse, Florida
The LaCrosse area was settled before the Civil War. Cotton was the chief crop. John Eli Futch was a cotton buyer who built a warehouse for cotton, a store to serve the growers, and his home near the store. This store became the first post office and . . . — Map (db m93840) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — F-328 — Melrose
(side 1) The region south of Santa Fe Lake was not settled until after the Seminole War in 1842, although it was on the Spanish mission trail from St. Augustine from about 1600 to 1763 and, during the English (1763-1784) and second Spanish . . . — Map (db m99668) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — F-981 — Melrose United Methodist Church
The Melrose United Methodist Church was organized in 1868 as the Melrose Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This church building, the first located within the original 1877 plat of Melrose, was constructed out of heart pine by the congregation in . . . — Map (db m120212) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-706 — Micanopy
Founded after Spain relinquished Florida to the United States in 1821. Micanopy became the first distinct American town founded in the new US territory. Originally an Indian trading post, Micanopy was built under the auspices of the Florida . . . — Map (db m54271) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-860 — Moses Elias Levy
Moses Elias Levy (1782-1854), a Moroccan born Jewish merchant, came to Florida after its cession from Spain to the United States in 1821. Before his arrival, Levy acquired over 50,000 acres in East Florida. In 1822, Levy began development on . . . — Map (db m93854) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-75 — William Bartram Trail1739 ~ 1823
The great Quaker naturalist of Philadelphia made a long journey through the southeastern states in the 1770's collecting botanical specimens. In May, 1774, he visited the Seminole Chief, Cowkeeper, at the Indian village of Cuscowilla located near . . . — Map (db m48676) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Alachua — F-597 — Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School
Bland Community and Ogden School Settled in the 1840s by cotton planters from Georgia and South Carolina, Bland became a diverse agrarian area where farmers and sharecroppers raised cattle and grew cotton and a variety of fruits and . . . — Map (db m64715) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Alachua — F-325 — Santa Fe de Toloca
A Spanish Mission was established near here within sight of the Santa Fe River about A.D. 1606 by Franciscan missionaries. The river took its name from the mission, as did the modern town of Santa Fe. At one time, Santa Fe de Toloca was said to be . . . — Map (db m64880) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Fairbanks — F- 516 — Turpentine Industry Community and Family
The naval stores industry was important to maritime power worldwide. Pine tar and pitch were used to seal wooden ships and protect sails and rigging. When settlers came to America - in Florida (1565), in Virginia (1607) and in Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m42012) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Rochelle — F-314 — Madison Starke Perry1814- 1865 Planter, Legislator, Governor, Soldier
Madison Starke Perry, born in Lancaster County, S.C., moved to Alachua County, Florida and became a prosperous planter. His plantation was located about six miles east of Gainesville in the area of present-day Rochelle. Perry was elected to the . . . — Map (db m55537) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-363 — City of Newberry Historic District
The discovery of hard rock phosphate in Alachua County in 1889 sparked the appearance of boom towns wherever large deposits of the mineral were found. Incorporated in 1894, Newberry thrived until 1914 when the onset of World War I forced the mines . . . — Map (db m65216) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — Little Red Schoolhouse
contributing member Newberry Historic District and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Little Red Schoolhouse circa 1910 — Map (db m126398) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — Newberry Community Veterans Memorial
Honoring those who served — Map (db m81994) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-210 — Newberry, Florida
   Only after about 1870 did phosphates become an important world industry. In Alachua County, phosphates were discovered late in the 1870's, but as in other regions of Florida, the major developments in phosphate mining and processing began about . . . — Map (db m119012) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773 - 1777 — Deep South Region
Blue Sink Visited by William Bartram, America's first naturalist, in 1774. Erected by Newberry Garden Club in cooperation with Dist. V. FFGC National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc. Fla. Dept. of Transportation — Map (db m119044) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Rochelle — F- 353 — Rochelle Vicinity
Colonel Daniel Newnan led a troop of the Georgia militia on a raid into the area in September 1812 in an attempt to annex Florida to the United States in the War of 1812. The raiders engaged a force of Seminole Indians under the command of . . . — Map (db m54642) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — F-127 — Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage
Dickison and His Men John Jackson Dickison (1816-1902), Florida's famous Civil War guerrilla leader, bivouacked at Camp Baker, south of here, during the closing weeks of the conflict. Dickison and his men became legendary figures. As Company . . . — Map (db m40315) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — For All Who Served(Waldo, Florida)
(Left) Police Officer Waldo When I start my tour of duty God, Wherever crime may be, As I walk the darkened Streets alone, let me be close to thee. Please give me understanding with both the young and old Let me listen with . . . — Map (db m41877) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — F-214 — Waldo
The first permanent English-speaking settlers came to the northeast portion of Alachua County in the 1820's. In 1837, during the Second Seminole War, an army post, Fort Harlee, was established on the Santa Fe River about three miles north of this . . . — Map (db m41072) HM

75 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.