Alleghany County Va. Area 458 square miles. Formed in 182, from Bath, Botetourt and Monroe, and named for the Alleghany Mountains. At Fort Mann a battle took place between settlers and Indians led by Cornstalk, 1763.
West . . . — — Map (db m84057) HM
When the first train arrived in Jackson's River Station July 10th, 1857, the western terminus of the Virginia Central consisted of little more than a refueling station for wood-burning steam engines and a station house for employees and . . . — — Map (db m107983) HM
Low Moor Lodge No. 166, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons, commissioned this Neo-Classical
Revival-style opera house and lodge, erected in
1905 at a cost of about $40,000. The Masons held
meetings on the third floor from 1906 to 1921.
The . . . — — Map (db m105105) HM
This park was developed by the National Park Service, Interior Department, through the Civilian Conservation Corps, in conjunction with the Virginia Conservation Commission. It covers nearly 4500 acres and was opened, June 15, 1936. It lies in a . . . — — Map (db m84039) HM
In December 1863, Union Gen. William W. Averell’s 2,500 cavalrymen raided Salem, Virginia, to disrupt the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad supply line to Confederate Gen. James Longstreet, who was besieging Knoxville, Tennessee. After the raid, . . . — — Map (db m107979) HM
Humpback Bridge constructed of hand hewn timbers in 1835 for the James River Kanawha Turnpike Corporation remained in public use until 1929.
In 1953, through the efforts of the Covington Business and Professional Women's Club, the Chamber of . . . — — Map (db m46388) HM
West Virginia was long a part of Virginia. Morgan Morgan began the settlement of the region in 1727. A great battle with the Indians took place at Point Pleasant in 1774. West Virginia became a separate . . . — — Map (db m46376) HM
Welcome to Falling Spring Falls in the Heart of the Alleghany Highlands.
According to the book, “Historical Sketches of the Alleghany
Highlands” by Gay Arritt, 82 acres of land including, the
Falling Spring Falls was granted by . . . — — Map (db m114706) HM
Three miles west at the mouth of Falling Spring Creek was a post garrisoned by militia under Capt. Robert Breckenridge. Washington inspected it in 1756. It survived an attack by Shawnees under Cornstalk during Pontiac's war in 1763. — — Map (db m1832) HM
Through the gap between Peters Mountain on the left and Lick Mountain lies the road to the Kanawha used by emigrants traveling west to the Mississippi basin. The road in the valley below follows the route Washington used when inspecting the forts . . . — — Map (db m77491) HM
Australia Furnace, located just east of here, produced pig iron for the Tredegar Iron Works—“Ironmaker to the Confederacy”—during the Civil War. Ira and Edwin Jordan had begun constructing Australia Furnace in 1852; two years . . . — — Map (db m107981) HM
This furnace was built in 1827 by ironmasters John Jordan and John Irvine and was named for their wives. During the Civil War, iron produced here was used in the manufacture of Confederate Munitions. — — Map (db m46386) HM
You are standing near the site of the Lucy Selina Furnace, which supplied the Confederacy with pig iron for the production of cannons, munitions, and rails during the Civil War. In 1827, two Scots-Irishmen, Col. John Jordan and John Irvine, built . . . — — Map (db m107982) HM
During the Civil War, the Jackson River Depot was located here. It marked the western terminus of the Virginia Central Railroad, which extended 200 miles from Hanover Junction north of Richmond. Located just east of the Kanawha Pass of the Allegheny . . . — — Map (db m107980) HM
Here stand the earliest coke ovens of the Low Moor Iron Company (organized 1873). The ovens converted coal to coke to fuel the company’s blast furnace. The company built more than a hundred such ovens in 1881. By 1923 the Low Moor Iron Company . . . — — Map (db m84051) HM
First called the Church by the Spring, Oakland Grove Church may have been organized as early as 1834, but it was officially established circa 1847 as a mission of Covington Presbyterian Church. A simple brick house of worship constructed during a . . . — — Map (db m46377) HM
In continuous use as a place of worship except for a period between 1861 and 1865 when it was used as a hospital for a contingent of General T.J. (Stonewall) Jackson's troops encamped nearby.
A monument in the churchyard marks the graves of . . . — — Map (db m46379) HM
William Henry Haynes, Sr. donated land for the Oakland Church and cemetery in 1811 to trustees James M. Montague, John P. Haynes, David Williamson and William H. Haynes, Jr. But the deed was not recorded until 1859. The original structure is said to . . . — — Map (db m46378) HM
Jackson River Station
Around 1857, the Virginia Central Railroad completed the Jackson River Depot and was the terminus of the railroad for trains and travelers heading west. Travelers had to continue their travels by horseback or . . . — — Map (db m46385) HM