Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Amador County California Historical Markers

 
Amador City Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, March 14, 2009
Amador City Cemetery Marker
California (Amador County), Amador City — Amador City CemeteryEst. 1851
The first internment in the Amador City Cemetery was 1851 with the last being in 1892. There are many more graves than indicated by the marble headstones. Some graves were never marked and others utilized hand carved wooden markers. During the . . . — Map (db m17020) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 15 — Bunker Hill Mine
The mine was first worked as the Rancheria Mine in 1853. Was renamed the South Mayflower in 1893. It was organized in 1899 as the Bunker Hill Consolidated Mine and operated till 1922, producing $5,154,382 in gold. The shaft reached 3440’ on an . . . — Map (db m44619) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — Imperial Hotel
Present two story brick structure was completed in 1879. Designed as a mercantile store, then converted to hotel and boarding house to accommodate local miners and travelers. Remained in operation until 1927. Walls at the base are twelve bricks . . . — Map (db m9005) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 13 — Keystone Mine
Founded in 1851 from many claims. One of the most profitable and longest running mines. Joining with South Spring Hill Mine working till 1942. East shaft worked until 1952. Reached a depth of 2680'. Employed 100 men and produced $24,000,000 in gold. — Map (db m26037) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 14 — Original Amador Mine
Opened in 1852 from six claims. Renamed Original Amador Consolidated working till 1918. Reopened in 1935 till 1937. Shaft reached 1238’. Total production was $3,500,000. — Map (db m10329) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 12 — South Spring Hill Mine
Founded in 1851 working continuously till 1893. Purchased by Keystone Company in 1920 and connected to it. Closed in 1942. Contained 3 shafts: South Spring Hill 1200’, Tallisman 600’, and Medean at 600’ deep. Produced $1,092,472 from . . . — Map (db m44608) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 16 — Treasure Mine
Owned by the Treasure Mining Company of San Francisco. Founded prior to 1867. Sometimes called the Hazard Mine. Shaft reached 3030’ on the incline with winzes. Was connected to the Bunker Hill Mine to the south at the 1600; level. Produced . . . — Map (db m44620) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Drytown
Rich placer mining, 1850’s. Origin of town’s name: Lack of water in nearby creek to wash gold. Many Chinese laborers in fields & mines. East gateway to New Chicago, New Philadelphia, Amador City; Quartz mines: Fremont-Gover & Treasure (1867), Bunker . . . — Map (db m74124) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — 31 — Drytown
Founded 1848. Oldest town and first in which gold was discovered in Amador County. Its venerable town hall and other picturesque structures remain. Was not "dry" as name implies, containing 26 saloons at one time. — Map (db m100575) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Early Day Butcher Shop
One of Amador County's oldest buildings. Marble floor hauled by mule-team from Fiddletown quarry. — Map (db m10471) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — 17 — Fremont-Gover Mine
Founded prior to 1867 as the Loyal Lode Mine. The Fremont-Gover Company formed in 1872 and worked the Gover in the 1880’s and ‘90’s. The Fremont shaft was sunk in 1903 including a 40 stamp mill continuing in operation until 1918. Reopened in 1937 . . . — Map (db m8433) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — New ChicagoEst. 1877
Subdivision for the Grover Mine Appox. 50 mines north to Plymouth Peerless, California, New London — Map (db m44621) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Salute to Early Amador MinersE Clampus Vitus
This plaque is dedicated on September 10, 1960 by the ancient and honorable society of E Clampus Vitus to honor the memory of the early miners, both placer and quartz, of Amador County on the Mother Lode in California. It marks the place where in . . . — Map (db m10851) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — Chew Kee Store
Rammed Earth "Adobe" Built 1850 Home-Office-Store of Dr. Yee, Chinese Herb Doctor — Map (db m42483) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — 35 — Fiddletown
Settled by Missourians 1849. Suggested that settlement be called Fiddletown because residents “were always fiddling”. Changed in 1878 to Oleta but original name later restored. Once trading center for American, Loafer, and French Flats, . . . — Map (db m100577) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — 35 — Fiddletown-Oleta
California Historical Landmark —— Fiddletown-Oleta —— Settled in 1849 by a party from Missouri. According to tradition they were always fiddling, especially while waiting for the rainy season—hence the name..... It . . . — Map (db m2539) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — H. C. Farnham House 1855
Hiram C. Farnham built this home for his bride, Eunice Haynes. It overlooked the creek and steam powered sawmill that he built with James McLeod in 1853 to serve the new rich gold strike in Fiddletown. The boomtown was served by six stagecoaches a . . . — Map (db m41369) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Buena Vista
In the mineral rich Ione Valley, between Ione and the southern Mokelumne River, where once mining communities like, Lancha Plana, Camp Opra and Camanche dotted the maps, is the town of Buena Vista. Situated at the intersections of two thoroughfares . . . — Map (db m101437) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Buena Vista Store
Buena Vista's store and house situated in Jackson Valley, was built by John Fitzsimmons, then sold to Sam Cook, then to James Norris and afterwards to Jacob and Verona Strohm. Once situated in Lancha Plana it was moved by the Chinese who discovered . . . — Map (db m10189) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 788 — Daniel Stewart Co. Store
General merchandise store built by Daniel Stewart in 1856. First brick building erected in Ione Valley from nearby Muletown brick. Ione, once known as "Bed-Bug" and "Freeze-Out” was an important supply center on the main road to the Mother . . . — Map (db m100587) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione Brewery
Built in the 1860’s of Ione Brick by Brewers Raab and Huttner. Served as a Brewery for Over 30 Years. In 1907 C.C. Prouty Moved His Creamery to this Site. A Soda Works and Ice Plant Were Installed in 1910. Various Businesses Have Occupied the . . . — Map (db m15825) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione City Hall
Originally built as the three story commercial hotel in 1864, razed by fire and re-built as a one story building in 1930. Remodeled in 1966 by the City of Ione as its City Hall. Mayor David S. Mason III Councilmen Jack Gasawawy • . . . — Map (db m2373) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione City Hall and Police Offices
City Council Michael C. Bohl, Mayor • Bobbie Potts, Mayor Pro Tem • Gary Beck, Councilman • Jim Brazil, Councilman • Loreta Tillery, Councilwoman Staff Randy L. Johnsen, City Administrator • Janic Traverso, City Clerk • Guy Reynolds, . . . — Map (db m2376) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione High School
The first high school in Amador County was erected on this spot in 1903 by the Ione Academy, a private corporation. The original two-story frame structure, built at a cost of $2,287, housed the school until 1939. As a result of the steady growth in . . . — Map (db m94743) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W.
This building, built in the year of 1854, was originally a hardware store on the ground floor and a dance hall on the upper floor. Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W. bought the building in the year 1884 and has continuously owned it and met here . . . — Map (db m2380) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione's Annual Picnic
In 1876 Ione’s Annual Picnic moved from Shakeley Hill to this location. The 100 acre park is part of an 1840 land grant and was leased to the city by the Howard Estate May 11, 1967. The park during it’s early years hosted many of the important horse . . . — Map (db m42400) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione's Chinatown
Looking North from this monument lies 5.22 acres which was originally deeded to Ky Kee, Hop Wah Chung, Quong On Long and Chang Hang Co. in 1883. Known as Chinatown, the community was comprised of stores, homes and a Joss House. At the peak of . . . — Map (db m42397) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Iron Ivan
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell. The twelve mile long railroad lies entirely within Amador County and is one of the shortest railroads in this country. Iron Ivan is a fine . . . — Map (db m2371) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 30 — Lancha Plana(No. 30 California Historical Landmark)
In 1848, Mexican Settlers from Sonora, Mexico established a camp on the north back of the Mokelumne River and called it Sonora Bar. At the start of the California Gold Rush miners flocked to the Mokelumne River and set up camps and towns along its . . . — Map (db m126094) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 506 — Methodist Episcopal Church
The cornerstone was laid in 1862. Constructed of locally fired brick, the church was completed in 1866. Dedicated as “Ione City Centenary Church” and later popularly known as the “Cathedral of the Mother Lode.” The church was . . . — Map (db m100582) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Old Red Brick Building Saloon
Later the Scully Building Dedicated to the spirits within James W. Marshall Chapter No. 49 E Clampus Vitus April 24, 1974 — Map (db m2379) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 867 — Preston Castle
The “castle,” built in 1890–1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive . . . — Map (db m100594) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Quincy - Ione's Sister City
Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's. Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio . . . — Map (db m94747) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Scully Ranch
Property settled by J. P. Martin in 1848. Home built circa 1852. Purchased in 1882 by William Scully, who arrived from Ireland in 1854. The Scully family has owned and operated the ranch for five generations. Present owners are Robert and Etta . . . — Map (db m42398) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Steam Flour Mill
Built in 1856 by Thomas Rickey Yearly grind 4000 Tons Barley – Oats – Corn — Map (db m42401) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — The Heirloom
Built circa 1863, this imposing residence with its classical columns, two-storied gallery, French window and fan transom, is an important local representative of the Greek Revival tradition in America. The house, constructed of locally fired brick, . . . — Map (db m94748) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — - Jackson -The Jumping Seat of Calaveras County
Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — Map (db m27499) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 18 — Adam's Express AgencyNo. 18 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Hot coals ignited epic 1862 fire here Reichling Bros. Assayers, Jewelers c1863 — Map (db m81698) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Amador County Veterans' Memorial
In memory of all men and women who honorably served in the armed forces of the United States of America — Map (db m72084) WM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Anthony Caminetti
Erected by the Citizens of Amador County California in Memory of Anthony Caminetti A native of Jackson, Amador County Born July 30 1854 Died November 17 1923 District Attorney, State Senator, United States Congressman, United . . . — Map (db m72067) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — Map (db m13966) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 786 — Argonaut and Kennedy Mines
Argonaut Mine, discovered 1850, and Kennedy Mine, discovered 1856, played dramatic roles in the economic development of California. They produced $105,268,760 in gold. Kennedy Mine has a vertical shaft of 5,912 feet, the deepest in the United States . . . — Map (db m100586) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Argonaut Mine
On the hill to your right stand the remains of the Argonaut Mine gallus (headframe), beneath which 47 miners were lost when a fire broke out deep in the main shaft on August 27, 1922. At that time the Argonaut was one of the deepest gold mines in . . . — Map (db m94781) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Botilleas Bordellos
World’s oldest profession flourished 50 yds east of this plaque for many years Until this most perfect example of free enterprise was padlocked by unsympathetic politicians E.R.E.C.T.I.O.N.S 1968 [ERECTIONS is an . . . — Map (db m29341) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Brown Home
Home (built 1859) of Armstead C. Brown (1816 – 1902) & son George until 1947. A.C. Brown was a lawyer, first president of Jackson City Trustees, state assemblyman 1863 – 66 & 1860 – 70, county judge 1876 – 78. Gave land to . . . — Map (db m27683) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 7 — Brumel's BuildingNo. 7 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Site part of 1851-2 Calaveras Court House 1854 dedication stone in cellar 1863 — Map (db m81701) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Butte Store
Constructed by Italian stone mason in 1857. Served pioneer settlers and miners as post office and general store later later known as Ginocchio's. — Map (db m100579) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Constitution Saloon
Constitution Saloon Circa 1860-1917 Woman's Club of Jackson 1917-1998 — Map (db m71557) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 21 — Dr. Sharp's Drug, Ginocchio's StoreNo. 21 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Among city’s oldest brick stores. Main Mercantile store for decades 1856, c1870 - 1950 — Map (db m81789) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 2010-08 — Excelsior Parlor 31Native Sons of the Golden West
Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshall’s Circus lot in 1851, the Fireman’s Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryan’s Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden . . . — Map (db m71556) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Hangman's Tree
Here stood in early days the Hangman’s Tree This marker placed by Ursula Parlor No.1 N.D.G.W July 24, 1937 — Map (db m27881) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — In Memoriam: The '49ers
They traveled here from family hearths throughout the world to mine Sierra’s treasures from the Golden Mother Lode. O’er claims where stood raw shacks and sailcloth tents the woodsmoke curled, while pick and shovel, pan and sluice marked where . . . — Map (db m42497) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Jackson
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called "Bottileas” by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here. In 1849, it was named Jackson for Colonel Jackson an early day resident. In 1853, Amador . . . — Map (db m72060) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Jackson Fire Bell
This trusty bell served Jackson faithfully for over 70 years. Located in tower near courthouse. Warning of fire or other peril. Dedicated July 8, 1989 by Amador County Historical Society and Excelsior . . . — Map (db m19750) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 3 — Kennedy MineArgonaut-Muldoon
Viewpoint: 50 yards west, Two of the richest gold mines in Amador County, both reached depths of over one mile. Worked until 1942. Kennedy produced $28.5 million, the Argonaut $ 25 million. Notice headframes west toward Highway 49 and tailing wheels . . . — Map (db m44586) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mine Headframe
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — Map (db m101351) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mine Tailings Wheels
The first major environmental project of mother lode mining. Entered on the National Historical Register July 7, 1981, through the efforts of Clyde Berriman on behalf of the City of Jackson. — Map (db m71568) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mining and Milling Company1860 - 1942
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — Map (db m19797) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 11 — Krabbenhoft BuildingNo. 11 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Dry goods store Town gym on third floor 1931 — Map (db m81703) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Labor Day Celebration
On this site in 1905, a double jack drilling contest took place. A 31 ½ inch hole was drilled in this granite in 15 minutes. The contest was won by Matt Thomas & Pete Vasilovich. — Map (db m10777) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Law Office
Law office built circa 1860 by United States Senator from California James F. Farley Law office of Angelo De Paoli — Map (db m42456) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 10 — Leam's SaloonNo. 10 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Victorian era architectural style. Town Chinese section across the creek into 1900's. 1899 — Map (db m81705) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 8 — Levy & Co.No. 8 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
2010 restoration revealed original brick facade 1857 — Map (db m81707) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 5 — Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor HouseNo. 5 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Wine titan Ernesto Gallo born here. Site of McKim's log Astor House. 1878, c1851 — Map (db m81710) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 17 — M Harris Clothing StoreNo. 17 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
With Masonic Hall & part of 33-36 Main, Jackson's oldest brick store remodeled in 20th century 1854 — Map (db m81711) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Martell Stage Station
Started about 100 years ago as Ryan’s Station. In 1888 became known as Martell’s Station. This was the main terminal for stagecoaches from Amador County gold mines. Large shipments of gold bullion were made from Martell’s Station to San Francisco, . . . — Map (db m70230) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 1 — Masonic Hall & Court HouseNo. 1 — Historic Main (Water) Street -Jackson
Oldest Jackson building used as Court House after '62 fire. Long home of Masonic Lodge #65 F&AM. 1854 — Map (db m85625) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Massa (Tunnel) Adit
The Massa Tunnel was dug in the 1850’s on Massa Brothers' land. The tunnel extends 126’ into the east vein of the Mother Lode. Little gold was found. The Kennedy Mine acquired the property in 1898. It and the Argonaut mined the richer west vein . . . — Map (db m44587) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Miners' GravesArgonaut Mine Tragedy 1922 — (Jackson City Cemetery)
In memory of Elmer Bacheller, James Clayton, Evan Ely, William Fessel, Charles Fitzgerald, Ernest Miller, Arthur and son Charles O'Berg, and Bert Seamans who died August 28, 1922 in the Argonaut Mine Fire — Map (db m94757) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Miners' GravesArgonaut Mine Tragedy 1922 — (Catholic Cemetery)
In memory of Peter Bagoye, Rafaelo Baldocchi, Domenico Boleri, Eugene Buscaglia, John Caminada, Peter Cavaglieri, Manuel Costa, Paul Delonga, A. Fazzini, V. Fideli, Simone Francisconi, Battista Gamboni, Timothy Garcia, Maurice Gianetti, Giuseppe . . . — Map (db m94774) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 13 — Miners Restaurant & ExchangeNo. 13 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Two-story brick building after 1862 fire; late 1890's sausage factory 1863 — Map (db m81712) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 1 — Moore Mine
Founded and active in the 1880’s. 10 stamp mill and a 640’ shaft. Re-opened 1921 till 1929. 20 stamp mill and a 2,291’ incline shaft. Tailing dam north to Raley’s. Produced $564,624 in gold. Nearby Mines: South Jackson, Fern, Kearsling, . . . — Map (db m44582) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Original site of Mel and Faye’s DinerEstablished 1956
. . . — Map (db m85661) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 2 — Rocca's Hall, Theatre, ArenaNo. 2 — Historic (Water) Main Street -Jackson
Arose after 1862 fire. Live Theatre in 19th century. Boxing ring, athletic club 1863 — Map (db m81791) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 16 — S. Harris Clothing StoreNo. 16 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Early 1850's stock corral. Post fire brick building, Abramofsky's Cigar Factory from 1882 1863, 1882 — Map (db m81786) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 12 — Sanguinetti BuildingNo. 12 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
On site of Hugh Fletcher's 1850's home next to Fletcher Alley 1869-1882 — Map (db m81725) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Sesquicentennial Court House Site
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — Map (db m27910) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 3 — Site of 1852 Louisiana HouseNo. 3 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
National Hotel arose after 1862 fire Rejuvenated by the Lukowicz Family 2011-2012 — Map (db m81788) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 865 — Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue
On September 18, 1857, Congregation B’nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holiday worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden . . . — Map (db m100588) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was erected in 1894. It is the first Serbian Orthodox church built in the U.S. Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, first Priest in this parish. Born in S.F. & reared in nearby Plymouth. Inspired his people in the early 1890’s & . . . — Map (db m11514) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 14 — Stampfly's Tent, Republic HouseNo. 14 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
First two floors built in 1858 Survived 1862 fire. Globe Hotel from 1870's 1851, 1858 — Map (db m81760) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 15 — Steckler's BuildingNo. 15 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
A Calaveras County clerk's shanty in 1851 Masonic Lodge 2nd Floor, 1854-1862 c1863 — Map (db m81762) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 19 — Tellier's St. Louis SaloonNo. 19 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Town founder's tent here by '49 Nearby Hanging Tree claimed 10 c1863 — Map (db m81763) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Court House Well
Under This Tablet Is The Court House Well Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth For generations it was a main source of domestic water for the community. “Gone is the ancient equipment but still the living water flows.” . . . — Map (db m27908) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine
- The Kennedy Mine - You are standing on property that once belonged to the Kennedy Mine. The Kennedy Mine is named for Andrew Kennedy, who reportedly discovered a quartz ledge in the late 1850s. The Kennedy Mining Company was formed in 1860 . . . — Map (db m72070) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Louisiana HouseBuilt in 1862
Known as the National Hotel from 1913 to 1962, this hostelry is built over double springs at which earlier gold seekers stopped to refresh themselves. It has been in constant operation since 1862 and has served as a focal point for “community . . . — Map (db m27670) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Old Spring
This monument marks the site of a spring that refreshed the early travelers into this region. So many bottles were found around this spring that some Chilean miners called the site "Bottileas" or place of the bottles, the first name by which the . . . — Map (db m21371) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 6 — U.S. Bakery, Early Amador DispatchNo. 6 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
U.S. Cavalry cordoned newspaper office during Civil War. Editors arrested and escorted to Alcatraz 1855, 1865 — Map (db m81765) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 20 — Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36No. 20 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Civil War political rallies staged here. Longtime site of Wells Fargo Agency. 1863, 1904 — Map (db m81787) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — University of California Foothill Field Station1888 – 1903
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — Map (db m72065) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — V. S. Garbarini, Sr.Mechanical Engineer — 1859 – 1931
Prominent in the mining world through his work at the Zeile, Kennedy, Argonaut & other Mother Lode mines, 1881 – 1929. His public spirit and mechanical skills led to many improvements in Jackson’s streets and bridges. First Mayor of Jackson, . . . — Map (db m27978) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 4 — Webb Building & Old Livery StableNo.4 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Brick livery survived 1862 fire. 1898, c1860 — Map (db m81766) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 9 — Weller Hardware, Pioneer HallNo.9 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Inventor Bussey built brick stores. Native Daughters order organized here. 1850's, 1886 — Map (db m81767) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking OfficeErected 1855
Dedicated to the pioneers of California by the Kit Carson Mountain Men of Jackson, Amador County June 18, 1949 An estimated $100,000,000 in gold was handled by this office. Plaque provided by Wells Fargo Bank & Union Trust . . . — Map (db m27859) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Wells Fargo Building
First structure on site built in 1851. Bar portion of building erected in 1856 as drug store. Wells Fargo Express Agency moved to store briefly in 1887. Two story section built in 1858, used as a general store. Easterly one story section built in . . . — Map (db m27857) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — NR07000507 — William J. Paugh House
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — Map (db m28067) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 2 — Zeile Mine and Mine HouseMine location to the southeast.
Founded in the 1860’s as the Coney Mine, operated continuously from 1875-1914. Later sold to Kennedy. Incline shaft 1865’ deep. Total production $5 million. Note powder house on road to the east. — Map (db m44585) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson Gate — A. Chichizola Store
Since 1850 Has served Jackson Gate since The California Gold Rush NRHP Plaque: Augustino Chichizola's Store Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m33376) HM
California (Amador County), Kirkwood — 28 — Maiden's Grave
Broken dreams and hope, carried 2000 miles through scorching deserts and over loft mountains. At last...the sight of the promise land. Those of you who visit this grave carry a torch of love and hope (which this young girl lost), and pass it on, to . . . — Map (db m100573) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail
Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail, the heavily-travelled gateway to California gold fields, was blazed in 1848 by discharged members of the Mormon battalion traveling east to join their families. Five hundred Mormon volunteers, recruited in . . . — Map (db m10824) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Peddler Hill Overlook
This marker is made up of three separate panels. [Panel 1:] The Road From a narrow dirt wagon road to a scenic byway, the Carson Route has evolved over time to meet the needs of generations of travelers and our changing means of . . . — Map (db m45050) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Plasse ResortSince 1853
Raymond Peter Plasse arrived 1850 in San Francisco. Mined gold at Volcano & Aqueduct. In 1853 started a trading post (now site) on Emigrant Road near Wester’s Gap. & a log cabin (now used at Silver Lake. Traded supplies & fresh livestock with . . . — Map (db m21249) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Plasse’s Trading Post
. . . — Map (db m21261) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — 338 — Tragedy SpringNo 338 — Erected 1967
This campsite on the Kit Carson Emigrant Trail was a resting place for California settlers. It was named by members of the Mormon Battalion enroute to Salt Lake Valley. Three of their men, serving as advance trail scouts, were murdered here by . . . — Map (db m21273) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — Amador Ledger
This newspaper was started in Volcano October 27, 1855. It was moved to Jackson in April, 1857. The Amador Ledger is the fourth oldest weekly newspaper in California and the oldest in Amador County. This building became the new home of the Amador . . . — Map (db m44139) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — To The Memory of Mike ToveyWells Fargo Messenger
Michael (“Mike”) Tovey, Wells Fargo Messenger was killed and DeWitt Clinton Radcliff, stage driver injured on this spot, June 15, 1893, by a lone bandit who attempted to hold up the regular six-horse stage on the old Ione - Jackson Stage . . . — Map (db m41555) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Chaw'seThe Grinding Rock
Chaw’se is the Miwok word for a mortar hole. The cup-shaped depression in a grinding rock was used to process acorns and other seeds into food by pounding and grinding with a cobblestone pestle.      The hole or chaw’se began as a . . . — Map (db m71895) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — 37 — Clinton
Prospectors in 1849 traveled from the Mokelumne River through Clinton on the way to the diggins in Volcano. In the early 1850’s the camp of Clinton became a market town, supplying the placer miners of the middle and southern forks of Jackson Creek, . . . — Map (db m100578) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Hun'geRoundhouse
The semi-subterranean assembly and dance house was the largest structure in the principal village or capital of the tribelet and was owned by the headman.      The sacred hun’ge was the community center for dances, meetings, social . . . — Map (db m71894) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Petroglyphs (Rock Carvings)
In addition to the bedrock mortars, over 363 petroglyph designs are carved into the surface of the marbleized outcropping of limestone. This association of rock art and grinding pits is unique in California. Except for one other small site, Chaw’se . . . — Map (db m71896) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Pine Grove
Late 1854, in a grove of tall pines Albert Leonard built his Pine Grove Home & Inn & was first postmaster. It was located at the junction of stage roads to Jackson and Clinton. Pine Grove post office was established July 12, 1856. First school . . . — Map (db m10505) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Benny Brown Arena
A lifelong fourth generation rancher from Ione with summer ranges in the mountains near Kirkwood, Benny Brown made his first appearance in this arena in 1951 at the age of 13. The event was cattle penning. His mother was his partner, and he won it. . . . — Map (db m42453) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — City of Plymouth
Was a mining camp about 1852. Plymouth proper began with quartz mining when settled early by Green Aden & other hard rock miners. Town was named Plymouth, probably after nearby Plymouth Mine. Post Office established 1871. Many town fires, most . . . — Map (db m41349) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — 762 — D'Agostini Winery
D’Agostini Winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with walls made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original . . . — Map (db m100585) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Forest Home1850's — Stage and Freight Stopover
Copper mines patented 1873: Peak Outputs: Early 1860’s, 1895-1917, 1943-1947, Township organized 1854. A Methodist center for many years U.S. Postoffice: 1862-1905 — Map (db m11361) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Memorial Entrance1942
[Left Pillar:] Boys of World War I W.H. Pritchard • A. Kretcher • J.R. Hyland • T. Trelese • B. Packard • R. Pew • C.P. Sevey • L.E. Walton • L. Jack • T. Pinder • J.A. Doherty [Right Pillar:] Pioneers . . . — Map (db m44137) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — 18 — Plymouth Consolidated Mines
Founded in 1852 from several claims and consolidated in 1883. Sold to the Argonaut company in 1925 and closed in 1943. Empire workings reopened 1946-47. Pacific shaft 4450’ deep. Total production $13,500,000. Mines north to Cosumnes River: Aden, . . . — Map (db m44622) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Shenandoah School1879
This bell called the children of Shenandoah Valley to school. The school district was first named Williams after the family with the most children, then changed to Shenandoah in 1916. In 1952 with the creation of the Oro Madre School District . . . — Map (db m10350) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Shenandoah ValleySince 1852
Dedicated to the early Shenandoah Valley pioneers & their descendants. They mined gold & produced grain, livestock, orchards & vineyards in these rolling hills. Nearby are the old school, used for 100 years, and now a social center, and the cemetery . . . — Map (db m10639) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — The Arcade Bar
1914 This is the approximate year that this structure was rebuilt to be the Arcade Bar. During Prohibition a soda and candy shop operated for a handful of years here. In the early 1940’s the building was converted to the “Sportsman’s . . . — Map (db m44132) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Wheeler Building
The Wheeler Brothers Store was founded by Lester Wheeler and his brother Verne in 1924, and was originally across the street. In 1928 they moved to this location (at left) eventually replacing the smaller store and a saloon next to it with a . . . — Map (db m44134) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 134 Broad StreetSutter Creek
Built in the 1870’s, the Norton-Popovich home contains the city’s first telephone, installed in 1896. Virgil Norton was postmaster of Sutter Creek from 1914 – 1931; son John was an engineer at Knight Foundry. The current owner’s father, Sam . . . — Map (db m42405) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 135 Amelia StreetSutter Creek
Parish House of old Trinity Episcopal Church. Circa late 1880's. Church built 1890. Home of Frank & Cathie Cunha. — Map (db m45042) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1854 · Amador County · 1954
Amador County, carved from Calaveras and El Dorado, was organized July 3, 1854, at the crossroads of Sutter Hill. Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five . . . — Map (db m11222) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Bellotti Inn
This hotel is a member of the State of California 100 Year Club and was opened for business in 1860. Bellotti Inn is one of oldest hotels still in continuous operation serving travelers in the State of California. The earliest hotel opened on this . . . — Map (db m29819) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Botto Saloon
Erected circa 1860 by Theresa and Constantino Botto. Originally a Granary. Saloon for Central Eureka Miners Through the 1920’s. Second Wood Story Torn Down in the 1980’s. Placed by Janet Friedberg, Botto Descendent. Amador County . . . — Map (db m15827) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Brignoli Building1858
Built of native greenstone by Bartolomeo Brignole for a general store. Operated by his family until 1944. — Map (db m29818) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — C. Soracco Company
Established in 1869 by Carlo Soracco, the store and adjoining residence were copied from similar buildings in Genoa, Italy. Carlo’s son, Frank, one of Amador County’s leading citizens, became proprietor in 1894. C. Soracco Co. was a major supplier . . . — Map (db m57992) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Central Eureka Mine
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — Map (db m13084) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Cribbs Field
This site is named in recognition of the gift by W.D. "Dick" and Marge Cribbs to the city of Sutter Creek on April 6th, 1964. This land was given with the stipulation it be developed for municipal purposes including the construction and . . . — Map (db m106334) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 8 — Emerson Shaft
Eastern Shaft of the Wildman Mine located at the Post Office site. Used as an air chute and hoist shaft to dispose of waste rock later used to pave roads. The mine founded by William T. Wildman, circa 1851 — Map (db m12601) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Hydroelectric Power in Amador County
Impulse turbines, also known as high pressure water wheels, were first developed in the foothill gold fields of Northern California to produce rotating mechanical power. Early water wheel designs were produced by Donnelly and Knight foundries of . . . — Map (db m106398) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — In Memory of General John A. SutterBenefactor of the Great State of — California
Who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered. Also to those pioneer mothers, fathers and miners of the Mother Lode, which has produced millions is gold. This rock used in Mother Lode Champion hand . . . — Map (db m13407) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — In Memory of the Heros of Amador County
Who Died in World War I G. Bulaich • J.A. Cuneo • F.S. Ferrari • B.L Flitcraft • B.F. Forbes • LT. Griesabach • P.W. Hamm • J.R. Hyland • A. Kretcher • G. Koprivica • R.E. Noce • R. Pew • W.H. Pritchard • S.C. Quirollo • R. Rugne • C.P. Sevey • . . . — Map (db m85621) WM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — J. Monteverde General Store Museum
Typical of old country stores at the turn of the century. Opened in 1898. Over its counter and from its shed, the Monteverde Family offered for sale all manner and description of merchandise. The emporium served as a meeting place for housewives, . . . — Map (db m8975) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1007 — Knight Foundry
Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton . . . — Map (db m100590) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Knight Scarifier – “The Scarifier that will scarify”
Knight Foundry Scarifier, Patent No. US 1665277 A, was developed in 1926 and patented in 1928 by Daniel (Dan) V. Ramazzotti, owner of Knight Foundry, as an improved mechanical ripper for removing uneven surfaces and ruts from roads. With the advent . . . — Map (db m106423) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Leland Stanford, Jr.1824 – 1893
A man of tremendous ambition, Leland Stanford, Sr., was one of California’s most distinguished businessmen, politicians, philanthropists, and proponents of education. Lured to California by the Gold Rush in 1852, he became an owner of Sutter Creek’s . . . — Map (db m12610) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Levaggi Opera House
The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola . . . — Map (db m29814) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Lincoln Mine
First (1851) quartz mine & mill in Sutter Creek on Amador Road. Leland Stanford financier, politician and benefactor controlled this mine (1859-1872). Under Supt. R. C. Downs it proved a bonanza, aided Stanford to join the builders of the Central . . . — Map (db m42409) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 11 — Lincoln Mine
Founded in 1851 as Amador #2. Renamed the Union Mine and finally the Lincoln Mine by new owner Leland Stanford. Worked until 1924, producing $2 million. Consolidated with Wildman- Mahoney Mines. Foundations and dump remain. — Map (db m44607) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Mahoney Mine
. . . — Map (db m12606) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Miners' Bend ParkA Historic Gold Mining Park
Sutter Creek, California Left Panel: Like many communities in the Sierra Foothills, Sutter Creek grew out of the great gold rush of 1849. Thousands of men of every nationality arrived seeking fortunes through toil, sweat, and luck. . . . — Map (db m106380) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Native Sons Hall
In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. . . . — Map (db m10744) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 7 — Old Eureka Mine
Founded in early 1850’s by Alvinza Hayward, owner of the Badger and Wolverine Mines. Earned $65,000 a month, reaching a depth of 2,250 in late 1800’s. Shaft sunk to 3,500 feet in 1916. In 1924 was purchased by Central Eureka Company. Closed in 1942 . . . — Map (db m44606) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Provis Park
In memory of Miss Minnie Provis who faithfully served as City Clerk for the City of Sutter Creek from 1913 to 1965 under the leadership of 16 mayors Dedicated 1975 — Map (db m106335) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Robert Carlton Downs1828 – 1905
Associate of Leland Stanford, Pioneer, Miner, Legislator, Businessman. Sailed around Cape Horn on clipper ship Tahamaroo in 1849. Established the first deep quartz mine, The Union, with E.B. McIntyre, S. Hanford & N. Drew in 1851. Became . . . — Map (db m29829) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek
On September 4, 1854 Sutter Creek was declared by Judge Marion Gordon an incorporated town. Sutter Creek's limits were one mile square. The center was "The Liberty Flag Pole", atop Main Street (Little Humbug Hill) where the Native Sons Hall stands . . . — Map (db m94113) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Grammar School1871
Learning was revered by Sutter Creek citizens whose school stands as an historic proof of the belief in education. — Map (db m28052) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Jail
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the . . . — Map (db m57980) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Sanitarium1895 - 1927
Medical Offices, Surgery and Hospital of Dr. Philip Sheridan Goodman. (1867 – 1927). Office and surgery on ground floor, hospital upstairs. Miraculous and unconventional, a true Sutter Creek Character. — Map (db m29780) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek United Methodist Church
In 1861 under leadership of Rev. I.B. Fish this church was built . Trustees incorporated the church as the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1862. Between 1863 and 1867 the Ladies Aid Society gave $1,300 for the back room addition. The steeple was added . . . — Map (db m13684) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek’s First Fire Bell
Within the bell The following is inscribed "Hung by G. Chisholm, Dan Ramazzotti Oct. 18, 1907 Director – F. N. Soracco, F. Warner E. Deacon – Sutter Creek Fire Co. Cast by A. Fulton’s Son and Company Pittsburg, PA. Ordered by . . . — Map (db m94750) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — To Remember the Men of Amador County Who Died in The World War
[There are four markers mounted on the monument; one each for World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam. The first three are mounted on the north side and the fourth is mounted on the south side of monument] [World War I] To . . . — Map (db m13421) WM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Union Mine Boarding HouseSince 1851 — (Now a Private Residence)
Leland Stanford acquired the Union Mine in 1859 for debt. He formed a partnership with R. C. Downs and renamed it the Lincoln Mine. The Lincoln Mine produced $2,200,000. in gold by 1873, he then sold it to the British Syndicate for $800,000. . . . — Map (db m42407) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Wildman MinePowder House
Founded by William T. Wildman in 1851. Merged with Mahoney Mine and reached a depth of 1500 feet. Combined mines operated a 70 stamp mill and produced a total of $5 million in old by 1924. Powder house used to store explosives. Became part of . . . — Map (db m12598) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — William Barker Hubbell1816 – 1894
In Memory of Forty-Niner William Barker Hubbell 1816 – 1894 Who built his building for a General Store circa 1867 Served as Justice of the Peace 1888 – 1892 — Map (db m29858) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — William Tucker's Fire Bell
Sutter Creek's first fire bell was ordered by William M. Tucker (1843-1910) for the Sutter Creek Fire Company. The bell hung in a wooden bell tower in the late 1800s at the fire station near the corner of Spanish St. and Keyes St. The bell was . . . — Map (db m94751) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 715 — Astronomical Observatory
Here in Volcano in 1860, miner and amateur astronomer George Madeira built California's first astronomical observatory of record and operated it for two years. Using a three inch refractory telescope he studied sun and moon, stars and planets, and . . . — Map (db m100583) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 715 — Astronomical Observatory
On the knoll behind this marker, George Madiera built the first amateur astronomical observatory of record in California and there discovered the great comet of 1861 with a three-inch refractor telescope. — Map (db m100584) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Carlo Andrea Dondero
Discoverer and Founder of the California Carrara Marble Quarry Located 3.49 miles southwest of this location on Sutter Creek Volcano Road several hundred feet above the river. This quarry produced high quality marble used in the . . . — Map (db m27809) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 1001 — Chaw Sé Roundhouse
In a village, the roundhouse served as the center of ceremonial and social life. Constructed in 1974, the Chaw Sé roundhouse continues this tradition. With its door facing the east, towards the rising sun, four large oaks are the focal point of this . . . — Map (db m8720) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — General Store
In continuous use since 1852. Built of Volcano brick and native limestone. Originally two stores: The Sacramento (left) owned by Mandelbaum & Klauber; Charles Burleson's store (right). Burleson bought the Sacramento, 1861; joined stores in rear. . . . — Map (db m10580) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — John Doble's Cabin
At this spot on Plug St. about 100 feet from the intersection of Consolation Ave. is where John Doble chronicled his journey from Indiana, though Central America, up the coast to San Francisco and finally to the gold diggins of Volcano. His . . . — Map (db m85859) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Moose Milk
This plaque is in memory of the pioneers of California who assembled in Volcano where Moose Milk was originated. Dedicated this 13th day of January, 1951 by E Clampus Vitus. [A rededication marker, just below the main one, . . . — Map (db m9055) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Soldier Gulch
This plaque is in commemoration of two soldiers of a party from Stevenson’s New York Regiment who discovered Volcano Valley in late 1848 and camped here in Soldier Gulch through a hard winter. Their bodies were discovered in the spring and buried . . . — Map (db m11364) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — St. George Hotel
This property has been placed on the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m11785) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — The Old Bavarian Brewery
Built in 1856, the Bavarian Brewery is one of two historic breweries in Volcano, named for brewer Peter Seible. A notable example of early masonry, the precisely cut stones in the front facade are still plumb today. The deep cellar, used for the . . . — Map (db m32785) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — The Thomas Starr King Bell
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — Map (db m101341) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Union HotelFormerly Union Billiard Saloon and Boarding House 1880
A place for fun, frolic, dancing and good food for early gold miners and lumber mill workers. Room on the right served as the Justice Court, scene of the first hanging trial held by Judge Jonas, original owner Renovated in 1987 by . . . — Map (db m15832) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano
Discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men who mined Soldiers’ Gulch in ’49. First covered wagon party sluiced rich gravel beds. By ’53, men swarmed flats and gulches naming them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in ’55, brought . . . — Map (db m11365) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 29 — Volcano
[Larger Marker]: Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — Map (db m100574) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano Masonic Cave
In Memory of the Bryant Brothers Clemens E. Bryant, Thomas L. Bryant, Roy Bryant and Walter F. Bryant Whose surviving relatives deeded this property to Volcano Lodge No. 56 F. & A. M. on June 20, 1962. Our pioneer . . . — Map (db m15824) HM

174 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.